PDA

View Full Version : Wells "limited" in off season

Patler
03-28-2009, 11:47 PM
I didn't realize Wells' back is still a problem. Per the JSO, he is limited in workouts, will miss the optional minicamps, and may even miss the OTAs.

It's looking more and more like Colledge-Spitz-Sitton in the middle of the line.

Lurker64
03-28-2009, 11:57 PM
It's looking more and more like Colledge-Spitz-Sitton in the middle of the line.

Unless of course Preston can work his way in there.

Patler
03-29-2009, 12:14 AM

Unless of course Preston can work his way in there.

Both TT and MM have said things about him being there for depth. No real talk of him as a starter. I have read several articles with quotes from scouts who all said he is a decent backup who can play for a game or two, but not yet a guy you would want as a regular starter.

It doesn't seem that the Bills made much effort to re-sign him, even though he started 11 games for them; or Fowler, the guy Preston replaced due to injury. They also released a starting guard. If they thought much of him, they sure had openings for him.

Preston fits into MM's plans to not have to move players when an injury occurs. He could come in at any of the interior positions, leaving the others where they were. Makes him very valuable on the game day active roster

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Can Clifton Play RT?

Lets go

Colledge-Preston-Splitz-Sitton-Clifton

Waldo
03-29-2009, 12:27 AM
Can Clifton Play RT?

Lets go

Colledge-Preston-Splitz-Sitton-Clifton

No.

Clifton is a LTO by contract, age, and skills. His run blocking is worse than ever, but he is still semi-reliable as the blindside protector.

Patler
03-29-2009, 12:31 AM
Don't expect too much from Preston in '09. You are likely to be disappointed.

Partial
03-29-2009, 12:35 AM

I don't know anything about him. I take it he's not penciled in at RT?

Patler
03-29-2009, 12:44 AM

I don't know anything about him. I take it he's not penciled in at RT?

I thought that might be a possibility, but in the last couple days both MM and TT have said they are not looking at him for RT. Writers still suggest it though. Sitton could get a long look at RT if Wells holds on at center.

HarveyWallbangers
03-29-2009, 01:03 AM
Both TT and MM have said things about him being there for depth. No real talk of him as a starter.

I thought I read McCarthy said he will compete for a starter position on the interior, but not RT.

My likely lineup: Clifton, Colledge, Spitz, Barbre or Preston, Sitton.

I think the RG job is there for Barbre, if he can handle it. If Barbre and Preston both fail, then it's Wells at OC and Spitz at RG. To me, the "competition" at OC depends on what happens at RG--not whether Spitz can beat out Wells. It's a group with a ton of potential, but could also be a disaster.

packrulz
03-29-2009, 06:37 AM
Preston a versatile option along interior of line

By Rob Demovsky • rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com • March 27, 2009
The Green Bay Packers aren’t looking at their newest player as a possible starter at right tackle.

General Manager Ted Thompson on Friday said free-agent pickup Duke Preston, who on Thursday agreed to a two-year contract, will be considered for all the interior positions on the offensive line. Preston has made 20 NFL starts combined at center and right guard during his four years with the Buffalo Bills.

“We like to have versatile guys,” Thompson said. “We think he gives us that on the inside but probably not on the outside.”

That means at this point the Packers aren’t considering Preston as a possible replacement for the unsigned Mark Tauscher, the Packers’ starting right tackle for the majority of the last 10 seasons. Tauscher is still recovering from his late-season knee injury and might not be ready for the start of the regular season.

“We were looking for another interior offensive lineman, and we just felt like adding another guy that’s been around the block a little bit,” Thompson said. “We’ve heard a lot of good things about him as a person. We visited with him last week, and all of us here were very impressed with the way he carried himself as a person.”

The 6-foot-5, 326-pound Preston became the second player Thompson has signed since the start of free agency last month. He joins safety Anthony Smith. Thompson wouldn’t say whether he would sign any more free agents.

“You never know,” he said.

Thompson said he wasn’t sure when Preston will join the Packers’ offseason program that began nearly two weeks ago. Thompson did confirm that safety Nick Collins remained absent from the program, which is voluntary. Collins remained in Florida this week, and his wife is expecting a baby. But Collins also has asked the Packers to extend his contract, which expires after this season.

Lurker64
03-29-2009, 07:05 AM
I'm curious as to TT and MM's plan at RT this year. I mean, every offensive lineman on the roster at this point has played Tackle at some point in their career other than Spitz and Wells, but I'm a little nervous, probably irrationally.

Tarlam!
03-29-2009, 07:30 AM
I'm curious as to TT and MM's plan at RT this year.

If Andre Smith is there at #9, that might be the pick. According to the lead article on JSO, that is. They say he's a LT, but could conceivably play RT until Cliffy finally calls it a career.

Even if TT doesn't take an OT at #9, or does something really unheard of and trades out of the first round, you know he's taking an OT, prolly on Day One.

Joemailman
03-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Both TT and MM have said things about him being there for depth. No real talk of him as a starter.

I thought I read McCarthy said he will compete for a starter position on the interior, but not RT.

My likely lineup: Clifton, Colledge, Spitz, Barbre or Preston, Sitton.

I think the RG job is there for Barbre, if he can handle it. If Barbre and Preston both fail, then it's Wells at OC and Spitz at RG. To me, the "competition" at OC depends on what happens at RG--not whether Spitz can beat out Wells. It's a group with a ton of potential, but could also be a disaster.

You're not the first person I've seen list Sitton at RT, even though last year the Packers had him at RG. I do know last year the Packers had him concentrate at RG because they didn't want to make a rookie learn 2 positions. Has MM talked about moving him to RT, or is that just an educated guess? I have my doubts about Barbre at RG, but think he has a better chance to succeed at RT.

Lurker64
03-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Even if TT doesn't take an OT at #9, or does something really unheard of and trades out of the first round, you know he's taking an OT, prolly on Day One.

Well... Thompson always drafts tackles. Sitton, Giacomini, Barbre, Colledge, Moll, and Whitticker were all OTs at some point in their careers. It's more notable that Thompson simply doesn't appear to draft guards, he drafts Tackles (Sitton, Giacomini, Barbre, Colledge, Moll, Whitticker) and Centers (Spitz, Coston).

I think Thompson is likely targetting some of: Lydon Murtha, Augustus Parrish, Xavier Fulton, and Joell Bell as late round tackles. All those guys seem like typical later round Thompson OT picks.

HarveyWallbangers
03-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Has MM talked about moving him to RT, or is that just an educated guess? I have my doubts about Barbre at RG, but think he has a better chance to succeed at RT.

Yes, unless my memory is failing me, McCarthy did say Sitton will get a shot at the RT spot.

RashanGary
03-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Preston fits into MM's plans to not have to move players when an injury occurs. He could come in at any of the interior positions, leaving the others where they were. Makes him very valuable on the game day active roster

This is a good point. With Wells having health problems and not being great to begin with, it looks like he could be out. If Preston can backup all three interior positions and play ST's (he was a good STer in Buffalo according to reports), MM could let the other guys focus in on one position.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Clifton/Barbre/Spitz/Sitton/Colledge as the starting line with Preston/Draft? backing up the interior and a draft pick/Giacomini backing up the outside. I like Colledge a lot at LG. I thought he had the best year of any of our lineman. I also liked him a lot at RT. I thought he played as well as Tauscher in the last game. With nobody really being legit at RT and us having more interior prospects, I think Colledge is going to be the guy to replace Tauscher (just seems logical).

Barbre is also said to be a hell of an athlete. With an experienced vet (clifton) to his left and a young but experienced vet (spitz) to his right, maybe they can help him enough in the mental part of the the game for his physical ability to come through. Barbre is also in his third year. Him being raw and talented coming out, maybe now is the time the light comes on. We'll see. Without Wells, and without Tausch, there is going to be some big shake ups. Barbre has to either step up or step out I guess and with the way he came in, it would make sense that now would be the time for us to see some production out of him (if we're ever going to see it).

bobblehead
03-29-2009, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Clifton/Barbre/Spitz/Sitton/Colledge as the starting line with Preston/Draft? backing up the interior and a draft pick/Giacomini backing up the outside. I like Colledge a lot at LG. I thought he had the best year of any of our lineman. I also liked him a lot at RT. I thought he played as well as Tauscher in the last game. With nobody really being legit at RT and us having more interior prospects, I think Colledge is going to be the guy to replace Tauscher (just seems logical).

Barbre is also said to be a hell of an athlete. With an experienced vet (clifton) to his left and a young but experienced vet (spitz) to his right, maybe they can help him enough in the mental part of the the game for his physical ability to come through. Barbre is also in his third year. Him being raw and talented coming out, maybe now is the time the light comes on. We'll see. Without Wells, and without Tausch, there is going to be some big shake ups. Barbre has to either step up or step out I guess and with the way he came in, it would make sense that now would be the time for us to see some production out of him (if we're ever going to see it).
I think this is pretty close to my vision, but I see us grabbing Smith or Oher and either one will beat out clifton unless he really rebounds. Strangely I agree that college was our best OL last year, but I think he is destined for RT, therefore, the most up in the air position to me is LG. I think Rookie LT, Barbre/Preston/??, Spitz, Sitton, College is likely.

If however we struggle for a LG, then its likely Spitz starts there, and Wells stays at center and we go with Rookie LT, Spitz, Wells, Sitton, College.

Patler
03-29-2009, 11:35 AM
We could see a lot of interesting changes this year. I, like Harvey, remember MM saying Sitton will get a look at RT. I also remember him saying that Barbre will get a look at LT. For Barbre, who is said to be unsure of assignments at LG, this would take him back to where he played in college. It could be a more natural position for him. Then there is Giacomini, who the coaches said improved more during the course of the season than any other player.

There are so many variations possible, and Barbre-Colledge-Spitz-Sitton-Giacomini is another, probably not this year but perhaps somewhere down the road. With Moll, Preston and a draft pick you have a young group with Colledge the oldest at 27.

Fritz
03-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Clearly right tackle is the big question mark, given MM's comments in the Sunday JSO - that guys are not going to be moved around (as much), that Colledge is a left guard, not a tackle, and that Spitz will compete at the center position.

It looks like, possibly, if Spitz wins the center job, a line of Clifton/Colledge/Spitz/Sitton/???

Interesting. I am glad they are going to stop moving guys every which place.

Joemailman
03-29-2009, 01:13 PM

This is a good point. With Wells having health problems and not being great to begin with, it looks like he could be out. If Preston can backup all three interior positions and play ST's (he was a good STer in Buffalo according to reports), MM could let the other guys focus in on one position.

Doesn't sound to me like MM wants to move Colledge from LG.http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/42025997.html

It looks to me like LT/LG/C will be Clifton/Colledge,Spitz. Sitton had the RG job won last year before his injury, so I imagine they would feel comfortable with him there. The key question is whether anyone (Barbre, Giacomini) can nail down the RT spot. If not, they may have to move Sitton there. The fall back position then would be to go with Wells/Spitz at C/RG.

Lurker64
03-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Doesn't sound to me like MM wants to move Colledge from LG.http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/42025997.html

There is sort of a standing rule of thumb of "don't put too much stock in anything team officials say this time of year." McCarthy might not be planning on moving Colledge now, but plans can easily change. This time of year, teams frequently equivocate, mislead, or are just plain evasive about personnel issues, and this lasts basically up until the draft is over.

So unless we spend the #1 on an OT, or one of Giacomini or Barbre really steps up, I think Colledge is probably the best bet at RT.

bobblehead
03-29-2009, 03:12 PM

There is sort of a standing rule of thumb of "don't put too much stock in anything team officials say this time of year." McCarthy might not be planning on moving Colledge now, but plans can easily change. This time of year, teams frequently equivocate, mislead, or are just plain evasive about personnel issues, and this lasts basically up until the draft is over.

So unless we spend the #1 on an OT, or one of Giacomini or Barbre really steps up, I think Colledge is probably the best bet at RT.

Right, he also said cliffy was the starting LT, but just last year he had to bench him twice. If we draft andre smith do you think cliffy will be the starting LT?

Partial
03-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Without a doubt, Yes, I do.

Joemailman
03-29-2009, 03:34 PM

Right, he also said cliffy was the starting LT, but just last year he had to bench him twice. If we draft andre smith do you think cliffy will be the starting LT?

Yeah, unless there is a further decline in his play, I think Clifton gets to play out his contract this year. If they draft Andre Smith, he'll likely start at RT this year.

RashanGary
03-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Well, it's official, I have no clue who is going to be playing RG/RT.

Sitton is one. The other?

That's going to be an interesting camp battle. I'm hoping Barbre earns a spot, but I don't have a whole lot of confidence in that. We definitely need to keep drafting players on the line.

bobblehead
03-29-2009, 08:08 PM

Not saying you can't be right, but I'm probably about as sure he won't as you are he will (IF we draft andre smith). Only time will tell which of us is correct.

Patler
03-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Well, it's official, I have no clue who is going to be playing RG/RT.

Sitton is one. The other?

That's going to be an interesting camp battle. I'm hoping Barbre earns a spot, but I don't have a whole lot of confidence in that. We definitely need to keep drafting players on the line.

About the only things that seem quite likely is that Colledge, Spitz and Sitton will start somewhere. Clifton could be at the end of the line, literally as the starting LT or figuratively as being unable to go another season. Wells, I just don't know about. His health is a concern as much as his performance. If those two are gone, who steps in where is anyone's guess at this point.

Partial
03-29-2009, 08:29 PM

Not saying you can't be right, but I'm probably about as sure he won't as you are he will (IF we draft andre smith). Only time will tell which of us is correct.

He was better than people gave him credit for last season. Smith will need a year to learn, and letting him ease into the role by protecting the quarterbacks vision side would only be a positive thing imo. Don't want to throw a rookie into the fray blocking for a skittish qbs blindside. That is a recipe for disaster imo.

I think I'm getting on board with the Smith pick at 9, though. Looks like Jane but plays like Tarzan :D Big boobies for the big man.

RashanGary
03-29-2009, 09:17 PM
About the only things that seem quite likely is that Colledge, Spitz and Sitton will start somewhere. Clifton could be at the end of the line, literally as the starting LT or figuratively as being unable to go another season. Wells, I just don't know about. His health is a concern as much as his performance. If those two are gone, who steps in where is anyone's guess at this point.

4 years ago when Flanagan, Rivera and Wahle were expiring and we had Cliffy/Tausch as the only lineman, it was pretty bad.

Now it looks like we have three (Colledge/Spitz/Sitton). Maybe one of the other prospects pans out, I don't know for sure.

The major difference between 4 years ago and now is that Spitz and Colledge should be getting locked up to long term deals right now and be here for another 6 years. Any answers we find going forward will be in addition to the long term answers we already have.

While the product on the field isn't taking that big step just yet (because Cliffy and Tausch fell off), you can see the solid base (of young, long term players) starting to be formed. They have to lock up the guys who are "graduating" and they have to keep finding more long term players. If those two things happen, the OL could be a real strength of this team going in a year or two. I don't think next year will be that year. We're probably going to draft at least one lineman high (first 3 rounds) and it will be at least a year before we really get production out of any rookie we bring in.

Patler
03-29-2009, 10:57 PM

4 years ago when Flanagan, Rivera and Wahle were expiring and we had Cliffy/Tausch as the only lineman, it was pretty bad.

Now it looks like we have three (Colledge/Spitz/Sitton). Maybe one of the other prospects pans out, I don't know for sure.

The major difference between 4 years ago and now is that Spitz and Colledge should be getting locked up to long term deals right now and be here for another 6 years. Any answers we find going forward will be in addition to the long term answers we already have.

While the product on the field isn't taking that big step just yet (because Cliffy and Tausch fell off), you can see the solid base (of young, long term players) starting to be formed. They have to lock up the guys who are "graduating" and they have to keep finding more long term players. If those two things happen, the OL could be a real strength of this team going in a year or two. I don't think next year will be that year. We're probably going to draft at least one lineman high (first 3 rounds) and it will be at least a year before we really get production out of any rookie we bring in.

The big difference between now and four years ago is that there are at least some prospects in house to fill the vacancies. Sherman let a contract situation develop in which his two starting guards were do for significant payouts, Rivera for a new contract and Wahle for a huge roster bonus. He boxed the team in a corner with no salary cap space and no capable backups or even legitimate prospects to fill in with.

bobblehead
03-30-2009, 10:58 AM

He was better than people gave him credit for last season. Smith will need a year to learn, and letting him ease into the role by protecting the quarterbacks vision side would only be a positive thing imo. Don't want to throw a rookie into the fray blocking for a skittish qbs blindside. That is a recipe for disaster imo.

I think I'm getting on board with the Smith pick at 9, though. Looks like Jane but plays like Tarzan :D Big boobies for the big man.

Let me just say I have been a huge cliffy fan throughout his career. I disagree with you about last year...he was abysmal. If he bounces back he could hold off manbra for a year, but I don't think he will.