PDA

View Full Version : MySpace and Facebook

Partial
07-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Damn, last week MySpace was the #1 most visited site in the US. Facebook came in at 6th. That is absolutely ridiculous!!

*ducks head in shame as he has a page for both sites*

MJZiggy
07-12-2006, 08:32 PM
There was an AP article last week on employers checking facebook pages of prospective employees and possibly rejecting candidates based upon what they find there. I thought it was an interesting piece.

Partial
07-12-2006, 08:35 PM
I read that too. I think it's alright since this stuff if it is considered a public record, but since you need to be a "friend" of the user to view there stuff, they obviously circumvented the system. That is BS. Especially since everyone's page i've seen is laced with boobies and booze.

MJZiggy
07-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Here's a couple links for you. I went back to get the original article and found a whole bunch of them.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/internetprivacy/2006-03-08-facebook-myspace_x.htm

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/jobsearchblogs/a/jobsearchblog.htm

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=25&sid=842144

FavreChild
07-12-2006, 08:42 PM
I think a lot of it can be accounted for by the number of teens visiting/updating their own pages frequently, 'cause they're all so vain and self-absorbed.

Just a thought.

Partial
07-12-2006, 08:46 PM
meh, I don't really think that matters. I go to google minimum 300 times a day. No joke.

FavreChild
07-12-2006, 09:02 PM
What is google ranked, then? I used to go there *almost* as much as you....for work.

I think my sister spends half her day on Facebook/myspace. I, meanwhile, have been on either site probably five times. Ever. Maybe I'm just in denial that I'm now officially out of touch with the "youngin's." But wouldn't you check your own myspace page frequently for new messages, etc.? Like, as often if not more than, say, checking e-mail?

Anyway, myspace is being used so much as a marketing device; it is sure to die out soon. Just like e-mail. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Partial
07-12-2006, 09:05 PM
I never go there unless instructed via email to go to either one. In my opinion, myspace kind of sucks, where as facebook is pretty cool because of all the searching options and stuff.

Yahoo, Google, and I believe hotmail were 2,3,4 in that order.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Anyway, myspace is being used so much as a marketing device; it is sure to die out soon. Just like e-mail. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I dont think it will die out. I think some gaint corporation like Microsoft or AOL will purchase it, if it hasnt already been done. Whoever started the site will get rich and buy a basketball team, a la Mark Cuban, if it hasnt already been done.

(on an unrelated thought, if Madtown is smart, he'll updated the ugly front page to make this forum more attractive. The possibility of him selling the naming rights (packerrat.com) and the site itself to a corporation is slime but not unrealistic)

FavreChild
07-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Interesting - thanks, Partial.

BTW, I'm not denigrating myspace at all. I, too, only go there if invited for some purpose - for instance, check out a friend's band. It is an easy way to host a website, in my view.

But yeah...it's just a little crazy how popular it's become and how much time young folks can spend there. But to each their own...

Partial
07-12-2006, 09:23 PM
It has really opened my eyes to how many slutty girls there are. Man alive it is nothing but women in practically nothing eveywhere!!

Anti-Polar Bear
07-12-2006, 09:24 PM
It has really opened my eyes to how many slutty girls there are. Man alive it is nothing but women in practically nothing eveywhere!!

Are you fucking kidding? I only browse it to check out friends pages. Provide me a link where nudity is abound, please.

HarveyWallbangers
07-12-2006, 09:29 PM
I've never been to myspace, and I have no interest in going there.

Partial
07-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Here's one for the Football Fan in us all[/quote]

Check that shit out. Wow! (http://fsu.facebook.com/album.php?aid=70103&page=1&l=7920d&id=5226986)

Bretsky
07-12-2006, 09:40 PM

WHAT ???????????

I've NEVER went to myspace; sounds like I need to check out the babes :)

Partial
07-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Check out the link I posted Bretsky. When linking it, I knew out of everyone, you'd definitely enjoy it

Anti-Polar Bear
07-12-2006, 09:46 PM
[url=http://fsu.facebook.com/album.php?aid=70103&page=1&l=7920d&id=5226986]Here's one for the Football Fan in us all

[/quote]

As an aestheticist, I am found of natural beauty. All you can find for me is a bunch of women with fake tits. Fuck you man. You can do better than that.

Bretsky
07-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Check out the link I posted Bretsky. When linking it, I knew out of everyone, you'd definitely enjoy it

That was beutiful looking at FC, 007, and all her friends on that link. When I get some time I'll have to use the tech info and attempt to post a few of those pictures in here since I still haven't succeeded yet.

CyclonePackFan
07-12-2006, 09:58 PM
I think some gaint corporation like Microsoft or AOL will purchase it, if it hasnt already been done.

News Corp. purchased Intermix, the owner of MySpace, a year ago next Tuesday. Price: $580 million
(Source: http://www.intermix.com/about_press_inthenews.cfm?id=752&startrow=8

Assuming there are around 100,000,000 MySpace users (I looked, but couldn't find an exact number). Each user is worth $5.80. Sadly, that is the most many MySpace users will ever be worth (f*cking emos).

(I'm joking)

FavreChild
07-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Yep, I knew it was a suspicious link when Bretsky was intrigued...

B, you already got enough online destinations to keep you busy. Of course you could always start your own myspace page dedicated to Bucky grailism or something.

Bretsky
07-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Yep, I knew it was a suspicious link when Bretsky was intrigued...

B, you already got enough online destinations to keep you busy. Of course you could always start your own myspace page dedicated to Bucky grailism or something.

Seeing you gave me the idea, you'd need to be a part of it :wink:

Bretsky
07-12-2006, 10:26 PM
AM I able to post a picture from myspace in here ? I was trying to post first pic and it didn't work

Partial
07-12-2006, 10:28 PM
I think you should be able to.

jack's smirking revenge
07-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Rip on it all that you want, but MySpace is currently the industry marketing standard for entertainment. As the manager of a band, it is a great way to network and get in contact with other bands without having to deal directly with labels and egos. Also a great way to build an international fan base. We have one of the top downloaded MySpace acts (One Less Reason) opening for us at our CD Release show and we wouldn't have found out about them without the site. We're working on getting a few others to the Twin Cities.

That's my two cents. Sure, there are subversive elements in myspace, but there are at PackerRats too. Unavoidable.

tyler

Little Whiskey
07-13-2006, 10:16 AM
But yeah...it's just a little crazy how popular it's become and how much time young folks can spend there. But to each their own...

uhhhhhh....isn't that what we do here???? granted the majority of us are not considered young folks, but by looking a few post counts i'd say some of us spend a considerable amount of time here :mrgreen:

Partial
07-13-2006, 10:28 AM
Rip on it all that you want, but MySpace is currently the industry marketing standard for entertainment. As the manager of a band, it is a great way to network and get in contact with other bands without having to deal directly with labels and egos. Also a great way to build an international fan base. We have one of the top downloaded MySpace acts (One Less Reason) opening for us at our CD Release show and we wouldn't have found out about them without the site. We're working on getting a few others to the Twin Cities.

That's my two cents. Sure, there are subversive elements in myspace, but there are at PackerRats too. Unavoidable.

tyler

Definitely is a powerful tool. I am amazed at how fast that grew. The design of it is horrible. It crashes all the time in FF and gives errors all the time!!

jack's smirking revenge
07-13-2006, 10:38 AM

tyler

Definitely is a powerful tool. I am amazed at how fast that grew. The design of it is horrible. It crashes all the time in FF and gives errors all the time!!

Very true. It is somewhat unstable. But its a networking tool and it works for what it is. Sometimes too well...

tyler