PDA

View Full Version : Slow news--pre-season schedule announced

sheepshead
03-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Packers to play Cleveland, Buffalo, Arizona, Tennessee in preseason

cpk1994
03-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Is there a reason why they always have to play Tennessee? That is getting rediculous.

mission
03-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Is there a reason why they always have to play Tennessee? That is getting rediculous.

ya wtf is that all about?

Gunakor
03-30-2009, 01:12 PM

Teams choose their preseason opponents, don't they? I didn't think the NFL scheduled them at random. I always thought that Green Bay and Tennessee chose to play each other every year. There are a number of reasons I could think of why they might want to do it that way.

Patler
03-30-2009, 01:24 PM

Teams choose their preseason opponents, don't they? I didn't think the NFL scheduled them at random. I always thought that Green Bay and Tennessee chose to play each other every year. There are a number of reasons I could think of why they might want to do it that way.

I like TN as the last pre-season game. Unlike the Packers and most other teams who use the third game as the "tune-up" for their starters, playing them at least a half or so, then very little in game #4; TN uses the last game as the tune-up for their starters. This makes it a great opportunity to see the Packers' non-starters play against front line players. Probably a real good evaluation tool for the coaches and TT prior to the final cut down.

pittstang5
03-30-2009, 01:43 PM
I like TN as the last pre-season game. Unlike the Packers and most other teams who use the third game as the "tune-up" for their starters, playing them at least a half or so, then very little in game #4; TN uses the last game as the tune-up for their starters. This makes it a great opportunity to see the Packers' non-starters play against front line players. Probably a real good evaluation tool for the coaches and TT prior to the final cut down.

If the 2nd - 4th string players can hang, it looks good.

I, a fan who hates to lose, can't stand when Tennesee plays their starters into the 3rd quarter. Seems like GB always gets a whooping. Yeah, I know it's preseason and doesn't count, but I hate to lose.

GrnBay007
03-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Why is it always such a big secret when the full schedule will be released?

Now that it's almost April is it so hard to just release the date? All I can find is "mid April". Last year I think it was released on April 15 but if I remember correctly it was pushed back a week.

sheepshead
03-30-2009, 03:17 PM
I always suspected it was tying up loose ends with the various venues and television dates and more importantly times. I think a lot of people need to sign off on the thing.

Packman_26
03-30-2009, 05:25 PM
I just read that they will play Cleveland and Arizona in both the Preseason and regular season. I know that Preseason is strictly vanilla gameplans but I hate this. Arizona is also the third preseason game, I would think this would inhibit the tuneup game considerably.

Packers4Ever
03-30-2009, 08:40 PM
I always suspected it was tying up loose ends with the various venues and television dates and more importantly times. I think a lot of people need to sign off on the thing.

Sheepshead, I love this !! It started my evening's 'read' off in the right
direction. Surely they aren't referring to PR, are they ?? :P

:shock:

Little Whiskey
03-30-2009, 09:09 PM
I caught the tail end of it but the guys on 540 espn out of milwaukee made a comment that Cleveland contacted Favre to help "coach" their qb's. the media will enjoy that preseason game.

cpk1994
03-31-2009, 07:31 AM
I caught the tail end of it but the guys on 540 espn out of milwaukee made a comment that Cleveland contacted Favre to help "coach" their qb's. the media will enjoy that preseason game.He won't be on the sidelines as he is not allowed to be with the Browns in any official capacity. So, there is nothing there for the media to chew up.

Patler
03-31-2009, 07:56 AM
I caught the tail end of it but the guys on 540 espn out of milwaukee made a comment that Cleveland contacted Favre to help "coach" their qb's. the media will enjoy that preseason game.He won't be on the sidelines as he is not allowed to be with the Browns in any official capacity. So, there is nothing there for the media to chew up.

Why not? He is retired. Why couldn't he coach the Browns QBs?

sheepshead
03-31-2009, 08:03 AM

That's true. There's former Packers on the sidelines every week.

GrnBay007
03-31-2009, 08:12 AM

He's still under contract with the Jets for 1 year.

Gunakor
03-31-2009, 10:57 AM

He's still under contract with the Jets for 1 year.

That contract prohibits him from playing for another team unless he is traded or released, but I don't think it prohibits him from signing on as a coach with another team.

cpk1994
03-31-2009, 12:38 PM

That's true. There's former Packers on the sidelines every week.But the former Packers that you speak of are not there as official employees of the Packers. Favre could be there unofficially, but if he is, expect a lot of howling from the NY Jets.

EDIT: Also, if Favre is on the sidlelines and becuase of that gets the itch to play again, you are dangerously close to tampering.

Gunakor
03-31-2009, 12:59 PM

That's true. There's former Packers on the sidelines every week.But the former Packers that you speak of are not there as official employees of the Packers. Favre could be there unofficially, but if he is, expect a lot of howling from the NY Jets.

EDIT: Also, if Favre is on the sidlelines and becuase of that gets the itch to play again, you are dangerously close to tampering.

But if he gets that itch, he'll have to play for the Jets per his contract. Or get traded/released. His contract with the Jets stipulates he cannot play for another professional team, but I cannot imagine that his contract with the Jets would forbid him from coaching another team. Favre isn't the first professional athlete that has retired before his contract has run out. And I don't think any of the rest of those players who retired early would find any legal issues with their desire to coach for whichever team would hire them.

cpk1994
03-31-2009, 01:09 PM

But if he gets that itch, he'll have to play for the Jets per his contract. Or get traded/released. His contract with the Jets stipulates he cannot play for another professional team, but I cannot imagine that his contract with the Jets would forbid him from coaching another team. Favre isn't the first professional athlete that has retired before his contract has run out. And I don't think any of the rest of those players who retired early would find any legal issues with their desire to coach for whichever team would hire them.Yes, but don't you think the Jets will be pissed off, knowing they are hard against the cap with Favre's contract, if he gets the itch to play again becuase of his time spent on another teams sideline? Mangini would be treading a thin line if he has Favre on the sidelines during a game.

Gunakor
03-31-2009, 01:29 PM
Mangini would be treading a thin line if he has Favre on the sidelines during a game.

Only if he has Favre on the sidelines in uniform. If he's wearing a Browns T-Shirt and sweatpants with a Browns baseball cap on his head, there's no problem. I don't think the Jets would have any problem with that at all, nor do I think they would seek any kind of compensation from the Browns for it. I don't even think they'd be entitled to compensation if Favre isn't taking the field.

It only becomes an issue if and when Favre requests Goodell to remove him from the inactive/retired list, and if that happens, he immediately becomes a Jet once again. And should that happen, which it won't, but if it were to happen the Jets would just release him as quickly as Goodell reactivates him. They don't want him there, couldn't afford him if they did. Cleveland doesn't want him as a player either, as they are trying to unload one of the quarterbacks they already have. I honestly don't think Favre would find a home very easily should he decide he wants to play again, and I think he knows that, so I can't see any possibility of his return to the NFL as a quarterback. At the same time, I very easily could see him returning to the NFL as a coach, and the one year remaining on his player contract with the Jets has no bearing on when or where that could happen.