PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm Jenkins

packers04
03-31-2009, 04:55 PM
Ted Thompson is EXTREMELY high on Malcolm Jenkins, he should be our pick come april 25th. He believes its a case of BPA and filling a future need. Look for D-Tackle in 2nd or 3rd rounds. D-Tackle is Extremely high on their needs list.

Lurker64
03-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Ted Thompson is EXTREMELY high on Malcolm Jenkins

This is the part I'm curious about. Did you talk to him? Did he provide reliable information somehow? Teams this time of year are notorious for smokescreening, and reading Ted's mind is something none of us are good at.

To be honest, I don't think that Jenkins even appears in Thompson's top 5.

The Shadow
03-31-2009, 05:25 PM
I'd be disappointed if Jenkins or Crabtree was the pick.

sheepshead
03-31-2009, 05:41 PM
LOL, I know don't you love this "insider" information. It's so cool.

red
03-31-2009, 05:42 PM
yup, can't believe a damn thing out of anyones mouth right now

not that you could with TT anyways

Waldo
03-31-2009, 05:46 PM
God I hope not. Rolle pt. 2.

What a useless waste of #9. A cb should never be taken in the top 20 IMO unless the kid is very, very special in every facet. Malcolm is not.

red
03-31-2009, 05:54 PM
i think we're also pretty high on michael oher, and larry english

john dorsey (our director of college scouting) was at both their pro days last week. he even ran english's work out

Waldo
03-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Thing is, one of our big wigs is at virtually every pro day. TT and his crew is know for absolute saturation when it comes to scouting pro days. Heck TT skipped out on the end of the owners meetings to check out Clemson's pro day.

We've got a visit from that LB from Western Illinios coming up here pretty soon (that kid that ran a 4.44 at his pro day), he wasn't invited to the combine but is projected in the 3rd-4th.

We ran Murtha's workout too, and were all over Clemson's RB (though I bet they had their eyes on the NT and the S there too).

Freak Out
03-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Thing is, one of our big wigs is at virtually every pro day. TT and his crew is know for absolute saturation when it comes to scouting pro days. Heck TT skipped out on the end of the owners meetings to check out Clemson's pro day.

We've got a visit from that LB from Western Illinios coming up here pretty soon (that kid that ran a 4.44 at his pro day), he wasn't invited to the combine but is projected in the 3rd-4th.

We ran Murtha's workout too, and were all over Clemson's RB (though I bet they had their eyes on the NT and the S there too).

Speaking of RBs...who do you see the Pack targeting in the draft at that position this year?

texaspackerbacker
03-31-2009, 07:30 PM
I'd be disappointed if Jenkins or Crabtree was the pick.

I wouldn't. Either of those picks would be excellent.

Picking for any position in the defensive front seven would disappoint me.

sheepshead
03-31-2009, 07:53 PM

Speaking of RBs...who do you see the Pack targeting in the draft at that position this year?

I say, TT takes one day one especially if he thinks a guy has slipped down.

BallHawk
03-31-2009, 07:57 PM
And this is credible HOW?

Dylan McKay
03-31-2009, 08:06 PM
We can all ponder and predict who we would like Thompson to take with the number 9 pick, but until that pick is announced none of us will have an idea, especially with Thompson's picks the last couple of years, the trade last year and the selection of Nelson, and the selection of Harrell two years ago. Both suprises. the previous two years we could all pretty much knew right away that Thompson was going to take Hawk, and the year before that Rodgers was the obvious choice at 24.

There is no obvious choice this year at #9. The Packers also have several spots that need help and the draft is the last place those needs have a chance at being met for 2009.

Lurker64
03-31-2009, 08:12 PM

I know you're habitually bullish about the roster, but are you really comfortable with the platoon of Poppinga, Hunter, and Thompson at the most important position in the defense?

privatepacker
04-01-2009, 11:58 AM
I also think that TT picks Jenkins at 9. Two reasons:
*Impact playmaker
*Fills need w/ return capability

We can say pick Raji all day long but he was successfully blocked at the Senior Bowl by Alex Mack. So if you want Raji, wouldn't Mack be better pick?

You can take Brown but he seems undersized at 6-1 and weight not what you need.

OT is a great choice, two will be there at #9- Oher-played poorly last half of last year. Trend or reality?
Smith played great last year but seems to have poor judgment. Will he balloon and eat his way out of football?

So if you want a great pick where is it? Back to Jenkins. He is either a great CB or FS and we could use either at this point. We have to ask, why hasn't Collins be offered new contract?

Truth be told, TT probably wants to go down in draft and pick up Alex Mack who is about the same size as Oher but very bright and could fit anywhere on the line. He will be all pro for many years.

So I have no inside info. Haven't talked to anyone in the organization or have access to any players just thinking through the players capability.
You should also know that I'm usually 100% WRONG on determining who TT picks in the first round. Except Hawk which was too easy. But I still like to put my two cents in.

texaspackerbacker
04-01-2009, 12:13 PM

I know you're habitually bullish about the roster, but are you really comfortable with the platoon of Poppinga, Hunter, and Thompson at the most important position in the defense?

IMO, it's a gigantic leap to say that OLB is the most important position in a 3-4 D. It's a position where you can get by with a fairly one dimensional player, who if he fails to get the job done--sacking the QB--as even the best of them will about 90% of the time, the arguably more important players who are defending the pass can still stop the play--unlike Corner or Safety, where if they screw up, it's a long gainer, maybe a TD, or even the ILBs who have a lot more responsibility against the run and short passes.

You left out Kampman, who ought to be the best we have at that position. You also left out Chillar, who was a decent pass rusher with the Rams, and maybe even Bishop, although I see him more as a backup ILB.

Yes, I'd be very comfortable with that rotation. There's no guarantee that Curry, Orakpo, Maybin, Brown, or whoever will be first rate 3-4 OLBs, and there's certainly no guarantee or even likelihood that Thompson or Hunter will not. My money would be on what we already have, and I think Thompson will see it that way too--especially when that allows him to get a Corner like Jenkins or a receiver like Crabtree.

Gunakor
04-01-2009, 12:18 PM
We have to ask, why hasn't Collins be offered new contract?

Because he is still under his current contract. Because he's had one good year in 4 seasons, and as a result of the success he had last year he is already due to make 3 million dollars this year. He doesn't need a new contract just yet. He needs to show us that he can do what he did last year on a consistent basis, and if he does, he'll get his new contract. Until then, he can either count his 3 million that he makes this year, or he can focus on becoming an even better football player in this his contract year than he was last year. If he chooses the former, I'll be glad he wasn't extended this offseason. If he chooses the latter, I'll be glad when he recieves his new contract next offseason.

Fritz
04-01-2009, 01:15 PM
I have super-secret squirrel insider informtion, and I am here to announce that Thompson's pick at #9 will be Brian Orakpo of Texas.

Of course, to know this, absolutely, as I do, I must also know that none of the teams in front of Green Bay will pick Orakpo first.

And I do know that as well. But it's total insider info, so I can't tell you how I know.

cpk1994
04-01-2009, 01:17 PM
I have super-secret squirrel insider informtion, and I am here to announce that Thompson's pick at #9 will be Brian Orakpo of Texas.
How did Brad Childress get in TT's office? :lol:

Waldo
04-01-2009, 01:59 PM
I also think that TT picks Jenkins at 9. Two reasons:
*Impact playmaker

You can take Brown but he seems undersized at 6-1 and weight not what you need.

I wouldn't call Malcolm a playmaker, dude has hands like Harris, one of the reasons I am so strongly against taking him high.

Brown may be short, but 255 is about what you want a 3-4 OLB to be. Anywhere between 250-270 works, but 255-265 seems to be the preferred band. Some of the best 3-4 OLB's of all time weighed in the 240's (LT, Greene).

packers11
04-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Jenkins = Rolle (on the cardinals) v 2.0 ...

We don't need another free safety and he sure won't work at corner - like rolle... At #9 he would be a reach, I hope we stay away...