PDA

View Full Version : Pat Bowlen says Broncos to TRADE Cutler

digitaldean
03-31-2009, 08:26 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/31/bowlen-says-broncos-will-trade-cutler/

Pat Bowlen has announced that they've exhausted all attempts to contact Cutler (thru himself & McDaniels) without success over the last 10 days.

They are convinced only alternative is a trade. Question is, where to?

Does Chilly finally swallow his pride and go after Cutler? Or do the Bears stop being blinded by Orton and go after him. If Cutler does get traded to one of the top 8 teams, this will affect the Packers pick on draft day.

Cutler is not a world beater. He's a good qb that needs to grow up. But he will help a team with QB needs.

red
03-31-2009, 08:33 PM
i just read this too and was about to post it.

lets hope the queens and bears don't jump on him

but what about the lions? broncos give up #12 and cutler for #1? lions get their new franchise qb, plus can still get some nice help at 12. and the broncos get to draft their new franchise qb at #1

Partial
03-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Cutler for Rodgers straight up!!!!

Or Hell, Cutler for Brohm straight up :D

digitaldean
03-31-2009, 08:43 PM

The first one, I won't even entertain that with an answer.

The second, the Broncos wouldn't entertain that with an answer. :wink:

If he goes to Minny, they will finally prove that Childress might actually have more than a one-dimensional offense. If Chicago gets him, they move up to at least be considered challengers for the division. As for Detroit, they take a giant leap toward respectability with him at QB. They won't hit .500, but they will be far less inept. That would leave Sanchez and Stafford available to the other 7 in front of us.

Wouldn't this bode well for us to get a good d-lineman?

digitaldean
03-31-2009, 08:46 PM
According to Denverpost.com interested parties in previous talks have been: New York Jets, Chicago, Tampa Bay, Detroit and Minnesota.

All have QB issues. Tampa or the Jets would be less harmful to us.

Brandon494
03-31-2009, 09:05 PM
He'll be a Jet

Guiness
03-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Some good comments over at PFT

JoeSixPack says:
A CFL team has started the bidding at a case of good, strong Canadian beer.

tyler_durden (our old friend JSR?) says:
Would love to see him get traded to Detroit. Denver will be his happiest memory.

Bronc fans seem pretty split as to whether the problem is with Cutler, or McDanniels. There is certainly a healthy sprinkling of hate for Cutler. At first I was thinking most teams would shy away from him with this attitude, but I realize, of course, that some coach will look at that arm and figure he can be coached up to win. I wonder if any team will be willing to give him the rich extension he *cough* Bus Cook *cough* wants so badly.

pittstang5
03-31-2009, 09:10 PM

but what about the lions? broncos give up #12 and cutler for #1? lions get their new franchise qb, plus can still get some nice help at 12. and the broncos get to draft their new franchise qb at #1

I was thinking Detroit gives their #20 straight up for Cutler and they take an LT...Jason Smith....maybe even take Curry #1.

Bossman641
03-31-2009, 09:24 PM

That is way too steep for Cutler. If I'm the Broncos no way do I give up Cutler and #12 to get the #1 pick.

red
03-31-2009, 11:13 PM
i forgot detroit has #20

i think denver now has to move him at all costs now. they lost all leverage. they may not get a first round pick for him

Partial
03-31-2009, 11:17 PM

That is way too steep for Cutler. If I'm the Broncos no way do I give up Cutler and #12 to get the #1 pick.

I'm not sure that I don't disagree, but I don't think Denver will do that. No one wants the first pick. Why would anyone? There isn't a Vince Young, Mario Williams or Reggie Bush this year. Smith or Monroe might be worth it, but I feel like each is a notch down from mean Joe Thomas.

Cutler is a stud. I suspect Denver gets quite a haul after a nice bidding war.

digitaldean
03-31-2009, 11:22 PM
Yahoo! Sports is reporting the following suitors for Cutler:
The Jets, Buccaneers, Bears, Lions, 49ers, and Browns already have been identified. The Jaguars have shown interest as well. Redskins also rumored to be sniffing around.

Thought maybe the Vikings would be lined up already. Maybe not.

Lurker64
03-31-2009, 11:37 PM
Thought maybe the Vikings would be lined up already. Maybe not.

Brad Childress is not the the easiest man in the world to get along with. He's driven both Daunte Culpepper and Brad Johnson out of town, and neither guy was half of the PITA that Cutler is.

Partial
03-31-2009, 11:42 PM
I'm sure he's just fine to get along with. Wasn't it a torn up leg Culpepper? Johnson is old.

LOL at the Jags going after Cutler, after they just signed fatty to a decent contract. Fatty would be fine if they had some decent receivers. That team has so much potential, but they don't run the offense they way I would at all with such a big, tough athlete at QB.

oregonpackfan
03-31-2009, 11:51 PM
This has got to be one of the worst cases of "Hurt Pride" in the history of the NFL. :roll:

Cutler is acting in an extreme immature manner, IMO.

If you were an NFL offensive player(other than quarterback) would you want this guy leading your offense with an attitude like this?

Lurker64
04-01-2009, 01:56 AM
So where do you think he ends up? I think that the Broncos are going to want a deal that includes a QB and a draft pick, or a draft pick high enough that that they could take a QB and a solid player.

So that immediately eliminates Chicago and Minnesota since they don't have either a QB to spare or a high enough draft pick to grab a QB. The Jets are probably out since #17 isn't high enough to grab a QB, and Kellen Clements isn't worth much, and Tampa is probably out for the same reason.

Teams that I think have a shot:
Cleveland could get the job done if they package Quinn/Anderson (whichever of the two the Broncos want) and draft picks, probably swap #1s and give up a #2 or a #3.

San Francisco is sitting in the "Draft Sanchez" seat, and could give up #10 and a player for Cutler, but who do the 49ers have that the Broncos would want?

Detroit is tricky, since they have #1 overall and you can definitely get a QB with that pick, but it's a huge financial albatross. Detroit would have to do something silly like #1 and Calvin Johnson for #12 and Cutler.

Jacksonvile, Philadelphia, and Washington could consider packaging their QB along with some picks to get Cutler. It would be hard to see McNabb leave Philly after the way their season ended, but McNabb doesn't seem particularly interested in working out an extension in Philly, and the Eagles have 2 first rounders to deal. I don't think that Jacksonville has significant affection for Garrard (though they gave him a fat contract extension last year), likewise Washington and Campbell (minus the fat extension).

Personally, if I'm Tennessee I'm calling up Bowlen right now to see if the Broncos would take Vince Young and a pick for Cutler.

SMACKTALKIE
04-01-2009, 02:05 AM
Hmmmmm..... Anyone think Denver would be interested in Chester Taylor?

I heard the previous offers (that Childress turned down) included draft picks and Kevin Williams. Way too steep. If that is truly the case I'm glad it was turned down.

Maybe now that Denver has shown their hand the price will come down.

Partial
04-01-2009, 02:07 AM
Minne is gonna be the team to land him imo. They'd be incredibly foolish not to. Best DT + Best RB + solid QB = super bowl

Lurker64
04-01-2009, 02:29 AM
Minne is gonna be the team to land him. They'd be incredibly foolish not to. Best DT + Best RB + solid QB = super bowl

I don't think Minny can give up enough to get Cutler. They're the team that can use him the most, but they don't have the ammo to get him, since they don't have a QB of reasonably comparable ability or a draft pick high enough to land one of the two top QBs. Denver's not going to make any deal in which they don't basically guarantee themselves a replacement QB, and Sage isn't going to be enough.

They would probably take Quinn and a pick from Cleveland, #10 and a player from San Francisco, Garrard and a pick from Jax, Campbell and a pick from Washington, McNabb and a pick from Philly, Hasselbeck and a pick from Seattle, and possibly Young and multiple picks from Tennessee. There's no way Minnesota is not getting outbid in this, unless they offer up Adrian Peterson. The Broncos would probably give them Cutler for AP straight up, the QB position be damned.

Minnesota just doesn't have the trade value they'd need to get Cutler, as much as he would help them. If Minnesota is going to bid high enough to land Cutler, they're going to have to give up one of Kevin Williams, Jared Allen, or Adrian Peterson, the only three players on the Vikings roster that would make the Broncos forget that they need a QB.

But if Cleveland offers: Brady Quinn, #5 and #50 for Cutler and #12, how are the Vikings going to match that? It's not like he's going to be cheap, since the Jets, Buccaneers, Bears, Lions, 49ers, Browns, and Jags are all on record as wanting to trade for Cutler. Minnesota's not going to be able to outbid all of those teams, particularly because they have less of what Denver wants.

Partial
04-01-2009, 03:16 AM
Says you and only you.

Lurker64
04-01-2009, 03:35 AM
Says you and only you.

Well, according to ESPN's AFC West Blogger (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1884/Where-could-Cutler-end-up-.html) there are eight teams more likely to get Cutler than Minnesota, so I'm clearly not insane.

Seriously, what are the Vikings going to be able to give up that Denver wants? It's going to have to be a truckload of draft picks (more than 2 #1 picks), because Denver would have to have to move up to get a QB in this draft, since they wouldn't be getting one from the Vikings.

cpk1994
04-01-2009, 06:30 AM
Says you and only you.

Well, according to ESPN's AFC West Blogger (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1884/Where-could-Cutler-end-up-.html) there are eight teams more likely to get Cutler than Minnesota, so I'm clearly not insane.

Seriously, what are the Vikings going to be able to give up that Denver wants? It's going to have to be a truckload of draft picks (more than 2 #1 picks), because Denver would have to have to move up to get a QB in this draft, since they wouldn't be getting one from the Vikings.Exactly. Minnesota has nothingto give in order to get Cutler.

Partial just wants him in Minnesota hoping they go to the SB so he can say, "Look I was right, Cutler is better than Rodgers". Same tired crap.

packrulz
04-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Says you and only you.
Lurker is right, I've read that Denver wants a proven veteran QB included, Cleveland has 2.

Bossman641
04-01-2009, 06:56 AM
Says you and only you.
Lurker is right, I've read that Denver wants a proven veteran QB included, Cleveland has 2.

Yep

Look at Denver's QB situation behind Cutler, Darrell Hackney, Patrick Ramsey, and Chris Simms. No way they are going into the season with one of those 3 starting, and even if they do receive a high enough pick to get Stafford or Sanchez they'd be foolish to start a rookie QB. You've got to believe Denver is demanding a veteran QB as part of the trade.

sheepshead
04-01-2009, 07:01 AM

:butt:

sheepshead
04-01-2009, 07:07 AM
Six Teams And Counting Interested In Cutler
Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2009, 10:19 p.m. EDT

The “For Sale” sign has been planted in the front yard, and the Broncos will soon be showing potential buyers the partially-finished basement.

According to Charles Robinson and Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports, at least six teams are interested in Cutler.

The Jets, Buccaneers, Bears, Lions, 49ers, and Browns already have been identified. Per Robinson and Cole, the Jaguars have shown interest as well.

As we’ve been saying over and over until people tell us to shut up, any team contemplating using a first-round pick on a quarterback should be interested in Cutler, because unlike an unproven rookie first-rounder Cutler has shown that he can perform at the NFL level.

Meanwhile, chatter persists in league circles regarding the Redskins. We heard several weeks ago that the ‘Skins are indeed interested. As one league source reiterated moments ago, the pursuit of Cutler in 2009 could be driven by the intended pursuit of the man who drafted him in 2010 — former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.

AddThis

Fritz
04-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Cleveland may not get Cutler, but they may need to be involved since they are one of the few teams that has a young, possibly up-and-coming QB to spare. If it's true Denver doesn't want to start over at QB, then that limits the trade scenarios.

What other fairly young, yet promising QB's are out there that could get into this mix? Please, I don't mean guys like Brohm or Flynn, who are still totally developmental. I maan young, promising, but having shown at least flashes of good play if not actual game experience.

Why I don't listen to sports talk radio....briefly turned a national sports talk show on this morning. Cutler trade talk, fans calling in. Typical: a fan in Florida, in all seriousness, said Tampa should trade Clayton, Luke McCown, and "we'll throw in a DB" for Cutler.

I despise that type of talk. It's ignorance.

While I disagree often with many of my fellow Packerrats, that level of fan ignorance is rare here. There may be some Thompson bitterness occasionally, but not too much ignorance.

Waldo
04-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Washington has J. Campbell to spare. Pep-Delhomme for Cutler wouldn't shock me.

KYPack
04-01-2009, 08:42 AM

The “For Sale” sign has been planted in the front yard, and the Broncos will soon be showing potential buyers the partially-finished basement.

Is Florio also a PR poster?

He must at least lurk here.

How else could he have been aware of Partial's ultra-intense man love for Jay Cutler?

I can't believe one of our resident funster's (that includes me) didn't come up with this one.

Another question. Has anyone ever seen an owner piss away any leverage the team had over a player any more ineptly than Pat Bowlen? The only situation that comes to mind is Al (the wily mentor) Davis's handling of the Randy Moss situation.

sheepshead
04-01-2009, 08:52 AM

Is Florio also a PR poster?

He must at least lurk here.

How else could he have been aware of Partial's ultra-intense man love for Jay Cutler?

I can't believe one of our resident funster's (that includes me) didn't come up with this one.

Another question. Has anyone ever seen an owner piss away any leverage the team had over a player any more ineptly than Pat Bowlen? The only situation that comes to mind is Al (the wily mentor) Davis's handling of the Randy Moss situation.

Good catch my Packer Brother.