PDA

View Full Version : Preston came cheaper than cheap.

Patler
03-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Contract reported to be:

No signing bonus, $2 million over two years.
$750,000 in 2009, + $150,000 roster bonus, $50,000 workout bonus.

Tarlam!
04-01-2009, 03:38 AM
Wow.

Still, I'd take it.

Bretsky
04-01-2009, 07:00 AM
it's free agency; as Packer fans we'll take anything

Fritz
04-01-2009, 07:11 AM
He's making more than I do!

Patler
04-01-2009, 09:56 AM
What surprised me is that if it is an exact $2M over two seasons, it is less than two seasons at the lowest level RFA tender for 2009, which I believe was $1.01M. It looks like he will make less than that in '09, slightly more in 2010.

sharpe1027
04-01-2009, 10:05 AM
What surprised me is that if it is an exact $2M over two seasons, it is less than two seasons at the lowest level RFA tender for 2009, which I believe was $1.01M. It looks like he will make less than that in '09, slightly more in 2010.

Sold him on the chance to compete for a starting position maybe? Looking at his chances of a payday in 2 years?

Patler
04-01-2009, 10:34 AM

Sold him on the chance to compete for a starting position maybe? Looking at his chances of a payday in 2 years?

Or, he had no other real options.

The guy started 11 games in 2008. Teams know what he is. The contract he signed indicates to me that he really is a developmental player at best, or nothing more than a career backup. He certainly is not one that any team was looking at for immediate help, or even as a guy likely to be a solid starter in a few years. Someone out there needs a starting center or guard, and would certainly have been willing to pay a modest signing bonus of some sort and/or a salary above the lowest RFA tender to get one. The fact that the Packers could sign him for less than the RFA tender, with no guaranteed money, proves that no one looked at him as starting material or even as strong developmental material. The fact that he signed with a team full of O-linemen as young or younger than him indicates he must not have had very many options, because the competition in GB is there.

It looks like he will get $50,000 for working out in GB, but no other guaranteed money. That is surprising for a guy who started 11 games in '08.

sharpe1027
04-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Or, he had no other real options.

The guy started 11 games in 2008. Teams know what he is. The contract he signed indicates to me that he really is a developmental player at best, or nothing more than a career backup. He certainly is not one that any team was looking at for immediate help, or even as a guy likely to be a solid starter in a few years. Someone out there needs a starting center or guard, and would certainly have been willing to pay a modest signing bonus of some sort and/or a salary above the lowest RFA tender to get one. The fact that the Packers could sign him for less than the RFA tender, with no guaranteed money, proves that no one looked at him as starting material or even as strong developmental material. The fact that he signed with a team full of O-linemen as young or younger than him indicates he must not have had very many options, because the competition in GB is there.

It looks like he will get $50,000 for working out in GB, but no other guaranteed money. That is surprising for a guy who started 11 games in '08.

I agree that the fact that he didn't seem to generate much interest elsewhere is a bad sign. I think the Packers are being honest when they see him as adding depth, but not necessarily a starter.

The part part of your analysis in bold may be correct, but it could also suggest that he saw the Packers as a unique opportunity to catch on with an O-line unit that does not have entrenched starters at any position.

I would have to agree that he is a long-shot to start. I like his versatility as a backup though.

HarveyWallbangers
04-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Yeah, he wasn't that wanted. However, guys like him have made a difference on other teams. I just wouldn't expect it. He does have some intriguing qualities, but that doesn't make a player. He has similar qualities as Josh Sitton and Allen Barbre. Barbre seems to be all potential while Sitton appears to be somebody who can do something with that potential.

Patler
04-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Yeah, he wasn't that wanted. However, guys like him have made a difference on other teams. I just wouldn't expect it. He does have some intriguing qualities, but that doesn't make a player. He has similar qualities as Josh Sitton and Allen Barbre. Barbre seems to be all potential while Sitton appears to be somebody who can do something with that potential.

I saw an article quoting a scout which I had the impression was from a team in Buffalo's division (maybe the article came out and said it, I don't remember). He said you could do a lot worse than having Preston coming in for a game or two when you need him, but you really want better than him as a full time starter.

I said it in another thread, I think Preston will fit nicely into MM's plan not to move guys around when injuries happen. Preston could be the first guy off the bench at any of three positions.