PDA

View Full Version : Brady Quinn a Bronco?! Cutler a Lion?

packers11
04-01-2009, 01:49 PM
ESPN's John Clayton says there's a "decent chance" that Brady Quinn will be a Bronco once the Jay Cutler situation is resolved.

"I'd have to think things start to broker through Cleveland, possibly involving the Detroit Lions," Clayton said. The Broncos are reportedly hoping to deal Cutler to an NFC team. A Detroit-Cleveland-Denver three-way deal makes plenty of sense, with the Lions getting Cutler and Browns getting picks.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

packers11
04-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Could the Lions be contenders next year in the NFC north? They could have a potent offense with Cutler, but the D is still awful... If they get Cutler, we wouldn't have 2 free wins... :lol:

Gunakor
04-01-2009, 02:01 PM
The Lions would be a much better team, but I think they are a bit more than just a QB away from contending in our division, much less our conference. And if they'd have to part with a day 1 pick or two it would hinder their ability to fill the other holes on their team. I'm not sure how much better they'd be in the very short term, but as part of a long term plan this could be a very good move for them.

Fritz
04-01-2009, 02:25 PM
I think the Lions giving up multi-picks for Cutler ensures another five years of futility for the Lions.

Toss an apparent prima-donna onto a talentless team (okay, they have a very good young receiver, a good young running back, and a young offensive lineman) with a rudderless owner, and - wala! - false hopes, drama, and eventual bitter disappointment.

texaspackerbacker
04-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Right, Fritz. The Lions will be bad regardless, and giving up significant picks would set them back more.

I'm hoping the Vikings don't get Cutler, as he would be a large step up for them--a team that is a probably a QB away from being top tier.

packers11
04-01-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm hoping the Vikings don't get Cutler, as he would be a large step up for them--a team that is a probably a QB away from being top tier.

you don't have to worry...

www.rotoworld.com

Vikings coach Brad Childress reiterated Tuesday that he is satisfied with the team's quarterback situation going into the 2009 season.

Childress emphasized that Sage Rosenfels is familiar with his system and is an upgrade on Gus Frerotte. Yahoo.com is also reporting that the Vikings won't be players for Jay Cutler because his personality has been red-flagged among coaches and front office types in Minnesota.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Looks like they won't be in the Cutler sweepstakes... I'm thrilled...

SMACKTALKIE
04-01-2009, 02:40 PM
No way the Vikings will go after Cutler. Everything I've read and heard indicates no trade with the Vikings will happen.

What scares me is the thought of what Cutler would do for Calvin Johnson. That's a scary combination........given Cutler has enough time.

sheepshead
04-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Talk radio down here is ripping the Bears for not sniffing around. For whatever that's worth, they might be staying pat as well.

Dabaddestbear
04-01-2009, 02:50 PM
finally a topic that interest the Bear fan on here since the season ended.
But Cutler has a better chance to land in Chicago than Detroit.

If he lands in the NFC it will be with the Tampa Bay, Panthers or Bears. Broncos want a QB in return that can start today, and a draft pick does not guarantee that. They may also be looking for a defensive player that can improve their team. Detroit can not offer any of that.

Dabaddestbear
04-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Talk radio down here is ripping the Bears for not sniffing around. For whatever that's worth, they might be staying pat as well.
The Bears have been calling about him since the last two weeks of March. Tell me WHICH team in the NFL has made a press conference about "sniffing"around the idea of getting Cutler? :roll:

Fritz
04-01-2009, 03:03 PM

If he lands in the NFC it will be with the Tampa Bay, Panthers or Bears. Broncos want a QB in return that can start today, and a draft pick does not guarantee that. They may also be looking for a defensive player that can improve their team. Detroit can not offer any of that.

Well, that eliminates the Bears! :rs:

Zool
04-01-2009, 03:09 PM

To be fair he said "start today" not "play well"

Dabaddestbear
04-01-2009, 03:11 PM

lol...
Well, ALL of the pundits have suggested that Orton is the best option of a team that has a QB for them "today" along with a draft pick in which they can pick up a stud defensive linemen.
Not saying that the Bears will land him, but just that he has a better chance of being in Chicago then Detroit.

Bossman641
04-01-2009, 03:11 PM

What do you realistically think the Bears could offer to get Cutler? No way are the Broncos interested in Orton and #18.

Gunakor
04-01-2009, 03:18 PM

What do you realistically think the Bears could offer to get Cutler? No way are the Broncos interested in Orton and #18.

Reports are swirling about possible 3 team trades, so the Bears don't necessarily have to have anything Denver would want. Denver wants a QB, which the Bears don't have to spare, but Cleveland does. So let's say the Bears have something that the BROWNS want. What then? I could totally see a possibility of Cutler landing in Chicago, but it would have to involve another team as well to make the trade work. Not at all unheard of.

SMACKTALKIE
04-01-2009, 03:22 PM

Reports are swirling about possible 3 team trades, so the Bears don't necessarily have to have anything Denver would want. Denver wants a QB, which the Bears don't have to spare, but Cleveland does. So let's say the Bears have something that the BROWNS want. What then? I could totally see a possibility of Cutler landing in Chicago, but it would have to involve another team as well to make the trade work. Not at all unheard of.

I don't think anyone knows that for sure at all. A trade could involve future picks (2010) and or players. If the Broncos were interested in Kevin Williams why would'nt they be interested in Tommie Harris?

Dabaddestbear
04-01-2009, 03:23 PM

I give you one better, WHY would they be interested in any other option that YOU think they may have?
Ask all of the football minds that get paid to do this why THEY think the Broncos want Orton. Maybe because he has the best starting career of the other QB's on the teams mentioned. Maybe cuz he has proven he can win games.

I am not making anything up. Just stating facts that have already been reported.

Dabaddestbear
04-01-2009, 03:28 PM

I don't think anyone knows that for sure at all. A trade could involve future picks (2010) and or players. If the Broncos were interested in Kevin Williams why would'nt they be interested in Tommie Harris?

I have heard Harris name being tossed around in talks on radio and online, but who knows. I think of Cleveland being in the talks, but only as a 3rd party breaking the deal which may include Tampa Bay more so than the Bears.
I do know that the if you are getting rid of a disgruntled player you will hope to place him in a place where he is least likely to come back and haunt you, meaning outside of your Division entirely. So to send him to the NFC I am sure is his choice ala Favre to the AFC...and you all do know that Favre and Cutler has the same agent.

Bossman641
04-01-2009, 03:35 PM

I give you one better, WHY would they be interested in any other option that YOU think they may have?
Ask all of the football minds that get paid to do this why THEY think the Broncos want Orton. Maybe because he has the best starting career of the other QB's on the teams mentioned. Maybe cuz he has proven he can win games.

I am not making anything up. Just stating facts that have already been reported.

Orton has proven he can get carried by good defenses and grow a hideous neckbeard.

Dabaddestbear
04-01-2009, 03:43 PM

Orton has proven he can get carried by good defenses and grow a hideous neckbeard.
Early in the season the Bears defense was horrible and it was Orton that won the games, as a matter of fact Orton won most of the games last year. I think the defense won one!

And hey, I have a problem growing a neckbeard, so gives me a reason to look up to him...he's my hero! :wink:

Patler
04-01-2009, 04:06 PM
ESPN's John Clayton says there's a "decent chance" that Brady Quinn will be a Bronco once the Jay Cutler situation is resolved.

"I'd have to think things start to broker through Cleveland, possibly involving the Detroit Lions," Clayton said. The Broncos are reportedly hoping to deal Cutler to an NFC team. A Detroit-Cleveland-Denver three-way deal makes plenty of sense, with the Lions getting Cutler and Browns getting picks.

On its face this makes some sense, but not so much when you really think about it. For Cleveland to be willing to do that they would have to be convinced of at least one of two things:

1. That Derek Anderson is the real deal, so they will not need Quinn. I find that hard to believe at this stage of Anderson's career, and after what he showed in 2008.

or

2. That Brady Quinn will never be the real deal, so trading him doesn't matter, even if Anderson ultimately fails. I find that equally hard to believe at this stage of Quinn's career.

Maybe they will be willing to make that decision after camp, or part way into the 2009 season. I will be surprised if they are prepared to make that decision right now.

Bossman641
04-01-2009, 04:09 PM

On its face this makes some sense, but not so much when you really think about it. For Cleveland to be willing to do that they would have to be convinced of at least one of two things:

1. That Derek Anderson is the real deal, so they will not need Quinn. I find that hard to believe at this stage of Anderson's career, and after what he showed in 2008.

or

2. That Brady Quinn will never be the real deal, so trading him doesn't matter, even if Anderson ultimately fails. I find that equally hard to believe at this stage of Quinn's career.

Maybe they will be willing to make that decision after camp, or part way into the 2009 season. I will be surprised if they are prepared to make that decision right now.

I dunno. I could definitely see the Browns going after Cutler. Mangini is said to not be a big fan of Quinn, and won't feel the attachment to him the previous regime did.

Lurker64
04-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Patler-

I think the thing is though that Cleveland is one of the teams that anybody offering a package to Denver that does not include either a solid starting QB or a top 10 pick needs to go through. So if Minnesota, Tampa, Chicago, or the Jets want Cutler, they have to work out some deal via Cleveland. Cleveland doesn't necessarily have any good reason to give up or endorse either one of their QBs at this point, but it's plausible that one of those teams could make an offer to Cleveland that they couldn't refuse.

The only teams, IMO, that are capable of working out a 2-team deal at this point are: San Francisco, Seattle, Jacksonville, Washington, Philadelphia, and maybe Tennessee if the Broncos can be convinced that Vince Young could be their starter. Everybody else needs to go through Cleveland.

Patler
04-01-2009, 04:16 PM
I dunno. I could definitely see the Browns going after Cutler. Mangini is said to not be a big fan of Quinn, and won't feel the attachment to him the previous regime did.

But in the proposed arrangement, the Browns don't get Cutler. Cutler goes to Detroit, Quinn to Denver and draft picks from Detroit to Cleveland. A trade directly between the Browns and Denver would make more sense, and I could see that happening, probably with a draft pick and Quinn going to Denver and Cutler to the Browns.

Patler
04-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Patler-

I think the thing is though that Cleveland is one of the teams that anybody offering a package to Denver that does not include either a solid starting QB or a top 10 pick needs to go through. So if Minnesota, Tampa, Chicago, or the Jets want Cutler, they have to work out some deal via Cleveland. Cleveland doesn't necessarily have any good reason to give up or endorse either one of their QBs at this point, but it's plausible that one of those teams could make an offer to Cleveland that they couldn't refuse.

The only teams, IMO, that are capable of working out a 2-team deal at this point are: San Francisco, Seattle, Jacksonville, Washington, Philadelphia, and maybe Tennessee if the Broncos can be convinced that Vince Young could be their starter. Everybody else needs to go through Cleveland.

But what is Cleveland's motivation to do a 3 team deal? I could see a direct deal between Cleveland and Denver; with either Quinn or Anderson to Denver with a draft pick maybe. If Cleveland were to get Cutler, they could perhaps trade both Quinn and Anderson, one to Denver and the other in a separate deal.

Lurker64
04-01-2009, 04:21 PM
But in the proposed arrangement, the Browns don't get Cutler. Cutler goes to Detroit, Quinn to Denver and draft picks from Detroit to Cleveland. A trade directly between the Browns and Denver would make more sense, and I could see that happening, probably with a draft pick and Quinn going to Denver and Cutler to the Browns.

Yeah, in order for Detroit to make it worth Cleveland's while to give up Quinn and not receive a QB in return, they're going to have to ship off a truckload of picks, because other than "draft picks" and "Calvin Johnson" (maybe Ernie Sims, considering how bad the LBs are in Cleveland), I don't think Detroit has anything that Cleveland will want.

Cleveland sending Quinn and picks to Denver for Cutler seems much cleaner, and simpler. But the Browns should be licking their lips and scouring the rosters of teams like the Vikings, Bears, Jets, and Bucs for players they'd like to have, since all of those teams need a QB and none of those teams have the ammo to get Cutler without Cleveland's participation (the Lions might need Cleveland as well, since Denver won't want #1 overall and #20 isn't enough for Cutler.)

pack4to84
04-01-2009, 04:41 PM

Early in the season the Bears defense was horrible and it was Orton that won the games, as a matter of fact Orton won most of the games last year. I think the defense won one!

And hey, I have a problem growing a neckbeard, so gives me a reason to look up to him...he's my hero! :wink:
I watched every bear game that wasn't on at the same time as the Packers. So I can say Dabaddestbear is right that Orton carried the bears last season. In fact he did so with less talent then what Cutler has and the bears finish with a better record. If I was the GM of the bears I would rather have better WR's then trade for Cutler who turns the ball over like aka Sexy Rex. Bears D finish below the Packers and the Packers record is do to poor Defense. 7 game either winning or tied with 3min to play only to lose. Bears lost 3 games when winning in the 4th quarter.

Bossman641
04-01-2009, 04:43 PM

Ah, gotcha. I was thinking of the Browns in just a 2 team deal. Agree that somebody would have to really blow the Browns away with an offer in order for them to jump in and help complete the deal.

Bossman641
04-01-2009, 04:44 PM

Partial can be in Denver tomorrow. Secure the plane ticket. :D

Lurker64
04-01-2009, 05:31 PM
But what is Cleveland's motivation to do a 3 team deal? I could see a direct deal between Cleveland and Denver; with either Quinn or Anderson to Denver with a draft pick maybe. If Cleveland were to get Cutler, they could perhaps trade both Quinn and Anderson, one to Denver and the other in a separate deal.

If the reports are true that the new boss in Cleveland is not high on Quinn, and they were offered a deal that netted them some quality players and a bunch of draft picks in exchange for giving up Quinn, I could very much see that as being in their interest. Particularly if Cutler would end up going to Detroit, so Detroit would not pick Stafford, which makes it possible for Stafford to fall all the way to #5 where Cleveland could take him.

Since Cleveland does have two QBs who could start this year, it is entirely likely that there's a collection of picks and players that would get them to give up Quinn. If Minnesota offered Cleveland Kevin Williams and #22 in the draft to Cleveland for Quinn, I think they would probably take it.

Patler
04-01-2009, 05:40 PM

If the reports are true that the new boss in Cleveland is not high on Quinn, and they were offered a deal that netted them some quality players and a bunch of draft picks in exchange for giving up Quinn, I could very much see that as being in their interest. Particularly if Cutler would end up going to Detroit, so Detroit would not pick Stafford, which makes it possible for Stafford to fall all the way to #5 where Cleveland could take him.

Since Cleveland does have two QBs who could start this year, it is entirely likely that there's a collection of picks and players that would get them to give up Quinn. If Minnesota offered Cleveland Kevin Williams and #22 in the draft to Cleveland for Quinn, I think they would probably take it.

That would fall into the second of the two situations that I wrote of in the earlier post - that they are convinced Quinn won't be the real deal. If they are convinced of that, then any deal netting them decent picks would be worth it. But I would be surprised if they would have reached that conclusion on a first round QB pick so quickly. Quinn hasn't been awful, and, more importantly, hasn't yet had much opportunity.

Lurker64
04-01-2009, 05:43 PM
That would fall into the second of the two situations that I wrote of in the earlier post - that they are convinced Quinn won't be the real deal. If they are convinced of that, then any deal netting them decent picks would be worth it. But I would be surprised if they would have reached that conclusion on a first round QB pick so quickly. Quinn hasn't been awful, and, more importantly, hasn't yet had much opportunity.

They do however have a new coach, and sometimes new head coaches make snap decisions about the QB they have on their roster, falling in love with a QB on another team, and thinking much less of their current QB than they probably ought... this sounds kind of familiar...

Gunakor
04-01-2009, 05:49 PM
But what is Cleveland's motivation to do a 3 team deal?

Backup QB for whoever they decide will be their starter maybe. Or maybe a WR to compliment Braylon Edwards, now that it looks like Stallworth will be unavailable. Do they have a serviceable TE anymore? There's plenty of motivation out there. If the right circumstances were to present themselves for Cleveland to fill one of it's own needs in the deal, why wouldn't they entertain a 3 team deal?

Lurker64
04-01-2009, 05:51 PM
But what is Cleveland's motivation to do a 3 team deal?

Backup QB for whoever they decide will be their starter maybe. Or maybe a WR to compliment Braylon Edwards, now that it looks like Stallworth will be unavailable. Do they have a serviceable TE anymore? There's plenty of motivation out there. If the right circumstances were to present themselves for Cleveland to fill one of it's own needs in the deal, why wouldn't they entertain a 3 team deal?

Cleveland also badly needs LBs, they have one of the worst starting sets of LBs (and they start four of them) in the entire NFL. I could see them getting Ernie Sims as part of a package deal from Detroit.

MJZiggy
04-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Are we actually having a discussion about a "news" story that begins with the words, "I'd have to think...?"

Packnut
04-01-2009, 06:00 PM
The greatest mystery in the NFL last season was what the hell happened to Anderson. I've never seen a QB have a career year and follow that up with the kind of piss-poor season he had.

I'm not sold on Quinn either. Orton is a game manager. He will never lead a team to a SB.

If I'm Denver, I want two #1's for Cutler and a few later rd picks may-be a 3 and 4.

Freak Out
04-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Sorry if this is in this shit heap somewhere....looks like Snyder is sporting wood for Cutler.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/?hpid=topnews

Fritz
04-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Owners who run their teams like they're fans...are lousy owners.

Dabaddestbear
04-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Sorry if this is in this shit heap somewhere....looks like Snyder is sporting wood for Cutler.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/?hpid=topnews
I was just reading about him jumping on it on rotoworld.

The Washington Post reports that the Redskins are "actively pursuing" a trade for Jay Cutler and hope to swing a deal as soon as possible.

Owner Dan Snyder is pushing negotiations, but Denver will take its time. About half of the league has interest in Cutler and the Broncos will want to hear all offers. Washington has reportedly contacted an unnamed club about dealing Jason Campbell for a second-round pick, which the Skins would then use in a Cutler trade. Snyder is currently sitting on only four 2009 picks. Apr. 1 - 8:23 pm et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=141932

I think Snyder will pull a Ditka if he has to...lol.

Dabaddestbear
04-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Patler-

The Broncos have announced to the football world they will pursue trading Cutler. Several teams are expected to make offers. Here is a look at what it might take to get Cutler:

Carolina Panthers: It's a very long shot because a move like this would be out of character for John Fox and Marty Hurney. But they could package disgruntled defensive end Julius Peppers with a draft pick for a shot at Cutler. -- Pat Yasinskas

Chicago Bears: The No. 18 and No. 84 overall picks, cornerback Nathan Vasher and quarterback Kyle Orton. The Bears could get this done without including a third team. -- Kevin Seifert

Cleveland Browns: The Broncos would need either quarterback Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson in any type of package that could require a three-team trade and draft picks for the Browns. Pro Bowl defensive tackle Shaun Rogers would be a tremendous sweetener, but Cleveland probably is not that desperate when everyone knows Denver must get rid of Cutler. -- James Walker

Detroit Lions: The No. 1, No. 33 and No. 82 overall picks. Plus, a third team to get Denver a quarterback to replace Cutler. The Lions aren't likely to be willing any players considering their personnel shortcomings. -- Kevin Seifert

Minnesota Vikings: Their No. 22 and No. 54 overall picks, tailback Chester Taylor or defensive end Ray Edwards, and a third team to help Denver get a quarterback in return. Edwards might appeal to the Broncos more than Taylor, who has low mileage but will turn 30 in September. -- Kevin Seifert

New York Jets: They might need help from a third team to swing a deal for Cutler, especially if the Broncos require a seasoned quarterback in return. The Jets have only six draft picks, including the 17th overall pick. Another possibility could include future draft considerations, such as next year's first-rounder. -- Tim Graham

San Francisco 49ers: I don't know if the Broncos would do it for the 10th overall choice, given that Denver probably wants a quarterback in return. But that is what the 49ers have to offer. -- Mike Sando

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The Bucs don't have a lot of ammo after trading away a second-round pick for Kellen Winslow. They might have to package this year's first with next year's to have any shot. -- Pat Yasinskas

Washington Redskins: It would take Jason Campbell and the No. 13 overall pick to get in the conversation. The Redskins aren't going to do it, though. Not quite ready to give up on Campbell. -- Matt Mosley

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-7-21/What-would-it-take-to-trade-for-Cutler-.html

KYPack
04-01-2009, 10:43 PM
From what I've seen of the crafty Lion's front office...

A 3 team deal.

The Lions send all their picks to Denver. The Broncos send Cutler to Cleveland. And the Lions get nothing.

That way they wouldn't screw up anyone's careers in the league by having 'em play for Detroit.

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Chicago Bears: The No. 18 and No. 84 overall picks, cornerback Nathan Vasher and quarterback Kyle Orton. The Bears could get this done without including a third team. -- Kevin Seifert

Interesting. Yes, that would probably get it done for the Bears, but ask yourself... If you were the Bears GM, would you trade away that much to get Cutler? Orton AND Vasher, in addition to your #1 AND #3 draft picks? As much as I think Cutler could be a great asset to the Bears, I don't know if I'd be entertaining the idea of giving up so much to get him.

Who do the Bears have behind Vasher on the depth chart right now?

Dabaddestbear
04-02-2009, 10:27 AM

Interesting. Yes, that would probably get it done for the Bears, but ask yourself... If you were the Bears GM, would you trade away that much to get Cutler? Orton AND Vasher, in addition to your #1 AND #3 draft picks? As much as I think Cutler could be a great asset to the Bears, I don't know if I'd be entertaining the idea of giving up so much to get him.

I think Cutler is easiest the in the top 5 as a QB in the NFL and his skill set is just crazy!! That being said, his behavior right now scares me.

The Bears have Graham playing behind Vasher, and he actually took over for Vasher and outplayed him last year. They were entertaining the idea of also signing Ken Lucas, but I guess they wasn't impressed after his recent visit.

Guiness
04-02-2009, 12:49 PM
I can't comment directly on Cutler's ability as a QB - I haven't seen any Bronc games. But it seems to me that the team has some talent, but has been unable to win - and he hasn't lit it up. Couple that with the way he's perceived to be handling this, and I'm not sure I'd want anything to do with him at all. And I certainly wouldn't mortgage the future by sending multiple first day picks to get him.

Jeff George had a rocket arm. Didn't want him either.

The only that I'll say in his defense is that he has been quiet since saying he was unhappy to learn the Bronco's were considering trading him. Since then, it seems it's been the team in the news, and him shutting up. Which I like. It seems like the media has been painting him a crybaby, but maybe I missed something he said/did.

Waldo
04-02-2009, 12:58 PM
According to ESPN (via the Tampa Tribune), the Broncos want two first-round picks for quarterback Jay Cutler.

The Broncos also have informed interested teams that getting a quarterback in exchange isn’t a necessity.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/02/broncos-want-two-first-rounders-for-cutler/

If Sanchez or Stafford is there at #9, because of the perceived need at QB at #10, we might have the most valuable pick in the draft. If we get multiple calls for the pick, we could rake somebody over the coals for it.

I think that there is a good chance we could set the price at trade value chart plus a 3rd......and get it (or extract a 3rd from SF and move down 1 spot). (A la a few years ago when Detroit got a 2nd out of Cleveland to move up 1 spot to get Winslow).

Guiness
04-02-2009, 01:02 PM
I think Cutler is easiest the in the top 5 as a QB in the NFL and his skill set is just crazy!! That being said, his behavior right now scares me.

The Bears have Graham playing behind Vasher, and he actually took over for Vasher and outplayed him last year. They were entertaining the idea of also signing Ken Lucas, but I guess they wasn't impressed after his recent visit.

Top 5? Wow, that some rarefied air. Some of these guys might have something to say about it:

Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Tony Romo
Carson Palmer
Ben R

And I'd likely put him behind these guys, although a few are arguable, mostly due to age:

Phillip Rivers
Donovan McNabb
Marc Bulger
Eli Manning
Kurt Warner
Matt Ryan

I might even add Schaub and Hasselbeck to the list.

So, I'd roughly rank him 12-14. Not a sniff of top 5 for him!

ps I'm staying away from the obvious homerism of adding Rodgers to the list, but honestly, right now, I'd rather have him than Cutler.

Dabaddestbear
04-02-2009, 01:21 PM

Top 5? Wow, that some rarefied air. Some of these guys might have something to say about it:

Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Tony Romo
Carson Palmer
Ben R

And I'd likely put him behind these guys, although a few are arguable, mostly due to age:

Phillip Rivers
Donovan McNabb
Marc Bulger
Eli Manning
Kurt Warner
Matt Ryan

ps I'm staying away from the obvious homerism of adding Rodgers to the list, but honestly, right now, I'd rather have him than Cutler.
You not serious with some on that list are you?
He is worse than Manning, Ryan, Bulger, Palmer, Romo, Schaub, Rivers Hasselbeck?
Have you even seen him play? The guy puts the ball where only elite QB's can.
Peyton Manning, Brees, Brady, and maybe Mcnabb(although most come from dump offs to Westbrook) is the only ones I would rank above him. Man you have to know better than to post something like that. :roll:

And we talking about skill set here. His leadership skills may not be the best of the group, but the guy is super accurate and has a strong arm.

Guiness
04-02-2009, 01:27 PM

Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Tony Romo
Carson Palmer
Ben R

Phillip Rivers
Donovan McNabb
Marc Bulger
Eli Manning
Kurt Warner
Matt Ryan

He is worse than Manning, Ryan, Bulger, Palmer, Romo, Schaub, Rivers Hasselbeck?
Peyton Manning, Brees, Brady, and maybe Mcnabb(although most come from dump offs to Westbrook) is the only ones I would rank above him. Man you have to know better than to post something like that. :roll:

And we talking about skill set here. His leadership skills may not be the best of the group, but the guy is super accurate and has a strong arm.

If you're talking about skill set alone, I'm out of the conversation. I'm talking about who I'd rather have under center on my team. If you are looking at skill set alone, then Jeff George is indeed your guy. I don't know who in the current NFL. I guess whoever it was who threw the ball through the goalposts from his knees on the 50yd line.

sheepshead
04-02-2009, 01:55 PM
You could read into this and say the NFC north is as active as anyone. (all three teams)

Broncos Flooded With Cutler Inquiries
Posted by Mike Florio on April 2, 2009, 2:45 p.m. EDT

The Denver Broncos reportedly are getting plenty of interest in quarterback Jay Cutler.

The interest is so intense that, according to Mike Mulligan of the Chicago Sun-Times, the Broncos are requesting communications only by text or e-mail.

“Nobody can get a call back,” one league source told Mulligan. ”It could mean something’s happening fast, or maybe they’re just overwhelmed.”

Mulligan also echoes the notion that the Broncos want to send Cutler to the NFC, just as the Packers wanted to ship Brett Favre out of the conference last year.

If it’s true that the Broncos are flooded with potential suitors from either conference, a valuable byproduct is that the activity has, to date, kept the team from continuing the ill-advised pissing match with Cutler over the question of whether he failed to return phone calls.

In fact, the Broncos would be wise to say nothing at all about the situation until the trade is announced.

Then again, they would have been wise to say nothing at any point in the process, other than, “Jay Cutler is our quarterback.”

So, basically, coach Josh McDaniels apparently didn’t learn all that much during his years with Bill Belichick.

LP
04-02-2009, 02:00 PM

If his behavior scares you now, what do you think he will be like after you give up that much just for him?

Dabaddestbear
04-02-2009, 04:46 PM

Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Tony Romo
Carson Palmer
Ben R

Phillip Rivers
Donovan McNabb
Marc Bulger
Eli Manning
Kurt Warner
Matt Ryan

If you're talking about skill set alone, I'm out of the conversation. I'm talking about who I'd rather have under center on my team. If you are looking at skill set alone, then Jeff George is indeed your guy. I don't know who in the current NFL. I guess whoever it was who threw the ball through the goalposts from his knees on the 50yd line.
When I talked about skill, i meant accuracy also. Not just who can throw a fast deep zip ball.
And Oh yeah, Bears got em..lol

Dabaddestbear
04-02-2009, 07:21 PM

I guess they wanted him afterall...lol.

Dabaddestbear
04-02-2009, 07:31 PM

Once again your hatred towards the Bears clouded your judgement. I was on point and you were.......well, NOT.---thats just a little crow for you my friend.

Dabaddestbear
04-02-2009, 07:35 PM

It is true that none of the National media saw this coming. It started off as the Bears being just a team that would be interested, but then by this morning they no longer even mentioned the Bears as a possibility once the Redskins pushed for him. maybe that was because Everyone knew how much the Redskins will give up to get a big name during the offseason, but I guess the Bears THIS TIME just wanted this player a little more.

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 07:37 PM

It is true that none of the National media saw this coming. It started off as the Bears being just a team that would be interested, but then by this morning they no longer even mentioned the Bears as a possibility once the Redskins pushed for him. maybe that was because Everyone knew how much the Redskins will give up to get a big name during the offseason, but I guess the Bears THIS TIME just wanted this player a little more.

And Kudos to you for getting it done. Now we'll see how much use he is to a team completely devoid of talent at the WR position. Gotta admit though, this just made the Bears a much better football team.

Dabaddestbear
04-02-2009, 07:47 PM

And Kudos to you for getting it done. Now we'll see how much use he is to a team completely devoid of talent at the WR position. Gotta admit though, this just made the Bears a much better football team.
I already made comments on the WR position on here several times today. I will let you guys continue to beat that drum...lol.

Bossman641
04-02-2009, 07:50 PM

Once again your hatred towards the Bears clouded your judgement. I was on point and you were.......well, NOT.---thats just a little crow for you my friend.

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 07:59 PM

I already made comments on the WR position on here several times today. I will let you guys continue to beat that drum...lol.

I know you did Baddest. I consider it homerism. I don't think the Bears WR's are nearly as good as you hype them up to be.

Last year Orton was the man, remember? He was SOOO awesome. Now, he was overthrowing guys left and right. The receivers were open, it was the QB's fault. That wasn't the problem when the games were being played last year though.

Homerism.

Dabaddestbear
04-02-2009, 10:09 PM

I know you did Baddest. I consider it homerism. I don't think the Bears WR's are nearly as good as you hype them up to be.

Last year Orton was the man, remember? He was SOOO awesome. Now, he was overthrowing guys left and right. The receivers were open, it was the QB's fault. That wasn't the problem when the games were being played last year though.

Homerism.
Whoooa my friend, I am not proclaiming them to be good, at least judging from what I have saw so far. And if you see some of my post after some of the Bears games, my main complaint was either about the Bears giving up late game leads, or Orton missing wide open WR's deep. I was excited about him at the beginning of the season, but after teams found out he was always tossing short to the TE's and Forte, then they would play up closer and challenge him to go deep. And most of the time he did he would overthrow them or throw too short making the WR wait for the pass and allowing the defense to catch up to his tosses. His best range is within 20 yards, anything beyond that is 50/50 at best, which hurt Hester only true route that he seems to run well...the deep seam, or up and out.

So maybe you were sitting around a Bear fan that made that claim, but I wasnt one of them. My post about our WR's during the season was pretty consistent. Orton is average, but you cant argue that a Pro-Bowl caliber QB will not be much better. The guy threw for more yards last year than Orton has in his Career man.