PDA

View Full Version : Cutler to the Bears

3irty1
04-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Just heard on ESPN radio that its a done deal. Haven't heard details yet.

sheepshead
04-02-2009, 04:26 PM
wow

sheepshead
04-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Heck, now they'll need some receivers.

3irty1
04-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Chicago radio is reporting that its for two number one picks and Orton. The Bears get a fifth and Cutler.

SMACKTALKIE
04-02-2009, 04:28 PM
NFL Network Confirms. Two first rounders, Orton, and a third rounder.

sheepshead
04-02-2009, 04:28 PM
yup--heard the same thing here local radio

Freak Out
04-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Good...we can pound that schmuck into the turf twice a year.

sheepshead
04-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Bear fans think Johnny Unitas is coming to town. I'm gonna puke.

swede
04-02-2009, 04:33 PM
It may take him two years to catch up to Favre's TD total at Soldier Field.

sheepshead
04-02-2009, 04:39 PM
The bears have the second best QB, second best RB maybe the best tight end in the division. No WR ...yet.

KYPack
04-02-2009, 04:42 PM
I wonder if Denver will have money to pay all those picks. A FA or two that they picked up may well be cut.

Some have already said it, it's just Cutler. He'll have to settle in and get used to his weak receivers now.

I really was hoping he'd go to the Skins. I love to watch Snyder's schemes collapse.

Dabaddestbear
04-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Not Johnny, but a top QB. And much better than what we have had since Sid Luckman. Give the man credit were credit is due.

gbpackfan
04-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Ha ha. This makes opening night against the Bears even better. This is the best NFC North team he could have gone to. NO WRs! I'm fine with this. The Bear O-line is weak and the D is fading fast. Now they have given away their draft.

And how about those Broncos! Kyle Orton! HA HA HA HA HA HA!

sheepshead
Not Johnny, but a top QB. And much better than what we have had since Sid Luckman. Give the man credit were credit is due.

Best since Jim McMahon perhaps.

Gunakor

It's been 20 years since Chicago has had a QB to rival the one in Green Bay. Congratulations, you have landed yourselves a fine quarterback.

Now go get him someone to throw to.

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Ha ha. This makes opening night against the Bears even better. This is the best NFC North team he could have gone to. NO WRs! I'm fine with this. The Bear O-line is weak and the D is fading fast. Now they have given away their draft.

And how about those Broncos! Kyle Orton! HA HA HA HA HA HA!

I'll bet Chris Simms is their starter this year, not Kyle Orton.

bbbffl66
04-02-2009, 04:57 PM
All in all not great news for Packers. Would much rather had him go to the 'Skins. Still, QB's do go to Chicago to die.

Lurker64
04-02-2009, 04:58 PM
If the haul of picks this is costing Chicago is true (2 1sts and a 3rd) that could be really costly for the Bears who need help on the OL, need WRs badly, and have an aging defense.

At the same time, it's gutsy.

sheepshead
04-02-2009, 04:59 PM
All in all not great news for Packers. Would much rather had him go to the 'Skins. Still, QB's do go to Chicago to die.

Yeah, theyll be able to spread it out with Forte and Olsen...

red
04-02-2009, 05:01 PM
bears just got a lot better

if they would have made a move like this a few years ago they might have won a super bowl

DonHutson
04-02-2009, 05:03 PM
This development does not worry me very much at all.

I guess it's possible that Cutler's current sulky-hyper-sensitive-whiny-bitch act is just a phase that he'll outgrow... but I tend to think not, so good luck with all that down there.

Brando19
04-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Holy hell...this sucks. The Bears and Packers on Sunday Night Football to start the season just got alot more interesting.

Cheesehead Craig
04-02-2009, 05:06 PM
The Bears better hope they can land a good WR somewhere, otherwise this move doesn't worry me too much.

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 05:06 PM

I guess it's possible that Cutler's current sulky-hyper-sensitive-whiny-bitch act is just a phase that he'll outgrow... but I tend to think not, so good luck with all that down there.

Imagine where that attitude will take him in the short term. Nobody to throw to except a TE, and little protection up front to keep him standing upright.

I can't wait for the season to start.

sheepshead
04-02-2009, 05:07 PM
bears just got a lot better

if they would have made a move like this a few years ago they might have won a super bowl

or two

Partial
04-02-2009, 05:08 PM
We're now the third best team in the division imo. Not good when a rival can add such a stud for two firsts. Good deal for the Bears imo.

green_bowl_packer
04-02-2009, 05:10 PM
How long until Bus Cook starts kicking around for a new long time contract from the Bears to pay some big time bucks to Cutler? Bears aren't known to take out the wallet too often. Desperation move by Angelo in my opinion.

sheepshead
04-02-2009, 05:11 PM
We're now the third best team in the division imo. Not good when a rival can add such a stud for two firsts. Good deal for the Bears imo.

Oh come on, you can gush more than this can't you?

Dabaddestbear
The bears have the second best QB, second best RB maybe the best tight end in the division. No WR ...yet.
I am sure we will argue about the 2nd best QB in the division all year, but yes, the second best RB, and by far the best TE.
Competition in the North has just got greater fellas.

And by the way, Cutler makes WR's better trust me. Do you know how many times the Bears WR's was under thrown and over thrown last year when they was wide open? I'm smiling regardless of what any Packer fan may say.

sharpe1027
I bet Orton or whomever starts for Denver ends up with better numbers than Cutler. :twisted:

Fosco33
04-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Since Culter has been managing his diabetes with an insulin pump I helped a company sell - seems like his weight and attitude have come back around. I think he'll be good in Chicago - and not sure about the 'he needs WRs to throw too'. Favre had mediocre receivers most years and still did well (a good QB makes a good WR more than a WR makes a QB).

Dabaddestbear
04-02-2009, 05:14 PM
How long until Bus Cook starts kicking around for a new long time contract from the Bears to pay some big time bucks to Cutler? Bears aren't known to take out the wallet too often. Desperation move by Angelo in my opinion.
Uh, name the last time the Bears didnt pay a top player to keep them from leaving the team? Now to sign a free agent maybe. But they normally pay out the ass to keep their own.

By the way, as insurance the Bears have agreed to terms with Orlando Pace. :D

RashanGary
A little scary IMO.

We'll see it takes a well rounded team to win, but so many teams struggle to find a QB (the Bears have floundered for years) and now the they have a legit one for many years.

Dabaddestbear
I bet Orton or whomever starts for Denver ends up with better numbers than Cutler. :twisted:
You can only pray....lol.

sheepshead
Since Culter has been managing his diabetes with an insulin pump I helped a company sell - seems like his weight and attitude have come back around. I think he'll be good in Chicago - and not sure about the 'he needs WRs to throw too'. Favre had mediocre receivers most years and still did well (a good QB makes a good WR more than a WR makes a QB).

Yeah, we'll see him with his pump at the Lodge on Saturday nights!

sharpe1027
04-02-2009, 05:16 PM
You can only pray....lol.

I could say the same for you...

Bossman641
04-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Ballsy move by the Bears, that's for sure. They still have trash for WR's, Bennet gave them absolutely nothing last year.

We'll see.

red
04-02-2009, 05:19 PM
The Bears better hope they can land a good WR somewhere, otherwise this move doesn't worry me too much.

i think we've proven that you can find some damn good wr's after the first round, if you do your homework

and god help us all if hester learns how to run a route and catch the ball

red
04-02-2009, 05:21 PM
one thing is for sure, the nfc north isn't the worst team in the nfl anymore like they were at this point last year.

there,s now 3 legit teams in the division, and one JV team

this makes our lives a lot more difficult for the years to come

sheepshead
04-02-2009, 05:23 PM
one thing is for sure, the nfc north isn't the worst team in the nfl anymore like they were at this point last year.

It coulda been worse, he could be headed to Minneapolis.

Rastak
04-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Not good news for either of us, you Pack fans.

The only bright spot is they paid through the nose. Two 1's and a 3 AND their starting QB is a kings ransom in this day and age. I guess they'll use their #2 to get some sort of receiver for him to throw to.

If he stays healthy then it may turn out to be a good deal.

wist43
04-02-2009, 05:25 PM
It makes them better, that's for sure... but they gave up a lot.

Still, a good QB with their defensive mindset - assuming they can get their defense straightened out - should set them up to be NFC North contenders every year.

red
04-02-2009, 05:28 PM

It coulda been worse, he could be headed to Minneapolis.

that would be an all out nightmare IMO

that would have made the queens a SB team for many years to come

Partial
04-02-2009, 05:31 PM
I am sure we will argue about the 2nd best QB in the division all year, but yes, the second best RB, and by far the best TE.

And by the way, Cutler makes WR's better trust me. Do you know how many times the Bears WR's was under thrown and over thrown last year when they was wide open? I'm smiling regardless of what any Packer fan may say.

Cutler is without a doubt the best QB in the division.

Partial
04-02-2009, 05:33 PM
A little scary IMO.

We'll see it takes a well rounded team to win, but so many teams struggle to find a QB (the Bears have floundered for years) and now the they have a legit one for many years.

Floundered? They went to the playoffs in 05, the superbowl in '06, had a down year filled with injuries in '07, and were better than the Pack last year.

Where is the floundering?!?

Lurker64
04-02-2009, 05:36 PM

How many years would Rodgers have to consistently outperform Cutler before you'd be willing to recant this statement?

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 05:39 PM
and were better than the Pack last year.

If they were, for fact, better than the Packers last year, why did they get trounced 37-3 one game and were a missed FG away from losing the other?

red
04-02-2009, 05:40 PM

How many years would Rodgers have to consistently outperform Cutler before you'd be willing to recant this statement?

i'm pretty sure the answer is infinity

sheepshead
04-02-2009, 05:40 PM

In football. Maybe in the last 50 years.

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 05:41 PM

i'm pretty sure the answer is infinity

No, as soon as Rodgers wins a SB I'm sure even Partial will jump on board. Not that Cutler had to win a SB or anything, but the standards are higher in Green Bay.

I personally am just anxious to see the two meet twice this year so we can put this argument to rest.

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 05:42 PM

In football. Maybe in the last 50 years.

You mean, even better than...

The Shadow
04-02-2009, 05:45 PM

"Without a doubt"??? Better than Rodgers??
Evidence?

Joemailman
04-02-2009, 05:49 PM

They look about even to me. Both put up good numbers last year, but neither was able to come through in the clutch enough to put their teams in the playoffs. Cutler may be a bit more talented physically, but is also more error-prone. This makes the Bears a more dangerous team offensively though. Should be a great season opener.

packers11
04-02-2009, 05:51 PM
pft.com

THIRD UPDATE: NFL.com reports that the Bears are giving up two first-rounder, a third-rounder, and Orton for only Cutler.

No fifth round back to the Bears according to the newest update...

Partial
04-02-2009, 06:05 PM

We'll see how they do head to head. I suspect The bears will go 2-0 against the Pack with the rosters as they currently are. We'll see how the draft pans out.

Patler
04-02-2009, 06:06 PM
I look at this as good news. I have argued that one of the problems the Packers had the last 10 years or so, when they did make the playoffs, their division was lousy and they played a lot of other soft teams. They would get to the playoffs and couldn't ramp it up to be at their best week after week.

Having a quality division will be good for whoever wins it. Besides, if you put together a legitimate SB team, it won't matter if the rest of you division is good, you will beat them anyway.

Backing into the playoffs in a weak division doesn't do anyone much good, and most of the NFC North winners the last 10 years have sort of won by default.

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 06:08 PM
I look at this as good news. I have argued that one of the problems the Packers had the last 10 years or so, when they did make the playoffs, their division was lousy and they played a lot of other soft teams. They would get to the playoffs and couldn't ramp it up to be at their best week after week.

Having a quality division will be good for whoever wins it. Besides, if you put together a legitimate SB team, it won't matter if the rest of you division is good, you will beat them anyway.

Backing into the playoffs in a weak division doesn't do anyone much good, and most of the NFC North winners the last 10 years have sort of won by default.

Maybe, but the NFC Champions from 2008 came from the NFC West, so...

mission
04-02-2009, 06:13 PM
The Broncos came out this one pretty good... got rid of a whiny bitch for two top picks and don't even have to waste one necessarily to address their QB situation. Orton has at least started in the league ... better scenario than most for them, I think.

You still gotta wonder how this one will turn out ... it definitely doesn't help us at all. Not at least until losing those picks comes back to potentially haunt them.

And Partial, sometimes I'm convinced you're just out there on the "troll", seein who takes the bait.

falco
04-02-2009, 06:24 PM
And Partial, sometimes I'm convinced you're just out there on the "troll", seein who takes the bait.

i've believed that for the last three years. its sort of obvious.

Packnut
04-02-2009, 06:43 PM

Not that it's significant, but in a poll taken on espn, the rest of the country backs Partial's view. Out of which of the 4 young QB's listed, who is better? Rodgers was way behind Ryan, Cutler and I forget the other.

gbgary
04-02-2009, 06:44 PM
wow! finally something to talk about. bears will be much better now. more points and just as important, more first downs. this means their d won't be on the field as much and it will be even better. they gave up a lot but it'll be worth it.

Ballboy
04-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah, Cutler will be great throwing the ball to...umm.....ahhhh....well....yeah.....

Yes he will be great doing what Im not sure

Dabaddestbear
04-02-2009, 06:48 PM

Evidence?
Number 3 in passing the past two years in the NFL with absolutely no running game. --over 4,457 yards just last year with a QB rating of 86.0.
Only Peyton Manning and Brees threw for more.
13-1 when his team keeps the opposing team from scoring no more than 21.
And for those that say he wasnt able to come thru in the clutch...it was the Denvers defense that was one of the worst in the NFL that lost most those games, not Cutler.

Rodgers was the better QB in the NFC north until Cutler was signed. No one outside a Packer fan would say Rodgers is better than Cutler.

Packnut
04-02-2009, 06:49 PM
This is just another example of a GM rolling the dice. Everyone knew, including Angelo that the Bears were dead without a good QB. Whether it fails or leads them to the promised land, you have to admire a GM who takes that chance. It's called having a set. Our GM was neutered long ago....

The landscape in the NFC North just changed a whole bunch. Both the Vikes and Bears have made HUGE moves. The Vikes with Allen last season and the Bears just now.

But, don't worry Pack fans. We have lot's of money to re-sign all our studs...........

Dabaddestbear
04-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Yeah, Cutler will be great throwing the ball to...umm.....ahhhh....well....yeah.....

Yes, I am sure that is what most of you will be saying. But like I said in an earlier post, the Bears WR's would get open deep alot, Orton just would always over throw or under throw them.... He missed Hester several times deep wide open. That will not happen with Cutler.

DonHutson
04-02-2009, 06:52 PM

Imagine where that attitude will take him in the short term. Nobody to throw to except a TE, and little protection up front to keep him standing upright.

I can't wait for the season to start.

I'm not being a complete smart ass about this. Eli Manning is a good example of a sulky little putz with no apparent leadership skills who grew a pair and turned into a good QB.

For now, I'll take solace in the fact that those turnarounds are fairly rare.

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 06:54 PM

Evidence?
Number 3 in passing the past two years in the NFL with absolutely no running game. --over 4,457 yards just last year with a QB rating of 86.0.
And for those that say he wasnt able to come thru in the clutch...it was the Denvers defense that was one of the worst in the NFL that lost most those games, not Cutler.

Rodgers was the better QB in the NFC north until Cutler was signed. No one outside a Packer fan would say Rodgers is better than Cutler.

Rodgers will have 2 opportunities per year to prove that he is. And Cutler will have 2 opportunities per year to prove that he's not. Or vice versa. In any case, both Rodgers and Cutler are pretty damn good, so I'll have to reserve judgement until they square off against one another on the same football field.

Or maybe it's just that I've never had to entertain the idea of an NFC North/Central quarterback being better than the one in Green Bay for, what, 20 years?

Dabaddestbear
04-02-2009, 06:54 PM

The only bright spot is they paid through the nose. Two 1's and a 3 AND their starting QB is a kings ransom in this day and age. I guess they'll use their #2 to get some sort of receiver for him to throw to.

Our GM is regarde as rarely doing good with #1 draft picks. So a draft pick is more of a rolling of the dice than a QB that has proven he is a franchise QB. They got a 5th in return and just swaped a average QB for a very good one. Take that any day.I was just glad that we didnt have to give up anyone on our defense like I thought we would have to.

rbaloha1
04-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Bad news for Packer fans. This clearly elevates the Bears.

Cutler is similar to Favre with a gun slinging mentality, ability to make big plays but prone to mistakes. Gun for an arm but throws off his back foot.

Should be exciting and keep the rivalry interesting.

digitaldean
04-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Congrats to the Bears in their pickup.

They gave up the farm for him though. Those picks could be used to shore up their aging defense.

Getting Pace, Orton and their 2nd yr. RB from Tulane will help their O immensely.

But I think that much spent on Capt. Whineypants will hamstring them

The Shadow

Our GM is regarde as rarely doing good with #1 draft picks. So a draft pick is more of a rolling of the dice than a QB that has proven he is a franchise QB. They got a 5th in return and just swaped a average QB for a very good one. Take that any day.I was just glad that we didnt have to give up anyone on our defense like I thought we would have to.

Well, look who emerged after a long hibernation.

Dabaddestbear

Well he didnt do it last year.
Like I said Rodgers is a good QB, but there was many times that he just threw short passes and his WR's would make a 7 yard slant pass into a 50 yard gain.

Dabaddestbear
04-02-2009, 06:59 PM

Well, look who emerged after a long hibernation.
Hey Shadow, there was nothing to talk about during the offseason. I followed you guys post on here, but there was nothing to talk about as a Bears fan during the offseason until now. Pace and Cutler is now Bears. New ball game ladies and gents.

gbgary
04-02-2009, 07:00 PM

brett made a good living throwing to...umm.....ahhhh....well....yeah.....over the years. not saying he's brett but he is quality. when you can get a quality qb you do it.

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 07:00 PM

Well he didnt do it last year.
Like I said Rodgers is a good QB, but there was many times that he just threw short passes and his WR's would make a 7 yard slant pass into a 50 yard gain.

If your receivers knew how to do that consistently, I'd be a little more worried about you guys this year.

3irty1
04-02-2009, 07:03 PM
I thought it would take more than a few minutes for these clowns to come back out of hiding.

RashanGary
Sharpe, Brooks, Freeman, Driver, Walker and Jennings were pretty good.

Gunakor

brett made a good living throwing to...umm.....ahhhh....well....yeah.....over the years. not saying he's brett but he is quality. when you can get a quality qb you do it.

There isn't a single #1 WR Brett has ever played with at the NFL level that isn't better than the Bears #1 WR this year. He'd have to be better than Brett to enjoy the same success.

Sharpe, Brooks, Freeman, Walker, Driver, Jennings. Those are the guys Favre had to throw to. Not umm...ahhhh....well...yeah...

packers11
04-02-2009, 07:05 PM
pft.com

Cutler Was 0-1 Against His New Team, 1-2 Against His New Rivals
Posted by Mike Florio on April 2, 2009, 7:30 p.m

The Chicago Bears previously had only one up-close look at their new quarterback.

Cutler and the Broncos visited Soldier Field in 2007. And he lost to his new team, 37-34.

Cutler was impressive in the overtime affair. He completed 17 of 31 passes for 302 yards, two touchdowns, and an interception.

But he took a sack late in regulation, on a third-down play that could have allowed the Broncos to run out the clock with a three-point lead. The Bears then drove the ball into field-goal range, tying it up with 32 seconds remaining in regulation.

Chicago won the toss to start overtime, and again drove the ball into field-goal range on the opening drive.

Cutler was otherwise 1-2 against the division he’ll now inhabit, losing at home to the Packers in overtime and getting blown out in Detroit by the Lions, 44-7.

The Broncos held off the Vikings in overtime, 22-19.

Let it begin... 0-10 in Lambeau for the next 10 years!!! Devin Hester is decent, but Earl who???

You guys forget Cutler had arguably the best friken WR in the game.. Brandon Marshall and also Eddie Royal... A top 10 TE and a nice slot receiver (stokley)...

Cutler is good, but with only Hester as his targets, and forcing it to a small guy like him , is not going to turn out well... Marshall could bail out Cutler , but Hester is way to small to bail out Cutler 'go up and get it' throws....

gbgary
04-02-2009, 07:09 PM
hold on...i'm not saying he'll have the success that brett did :shock: or that brett didn't have a few good receivers to throw to :roll: . all i'm saying is that cutler is a very good qb and average type receivers are made better with a very good qb. they'll be much better i believe.

RashanGary
04-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Sharpe/Brooks
Brooks
Brooks/Freeman
Freeman
Freeman/Driver
Driver
Driver/Walker
Driver/Jennings

These are notable #1/#2 WR's Favre has played with over the years. He's always had at least one probowl caliber WR, sometimes two on eveyr team he's played.

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 07:11 PM
pft.com

Cutler Was 0-1 Against His New Team, 1-2 Against His New Rivals
Posted by Mike Florio on April 2, 2009, 7:30 p.m

The Chicago Bears previously had only one up-close look at their new quarterback.

Cutler and the Broncos visited Soldier Field in 2007. And he lost to his new team, 37-34.

Cutler was impressive in the overtime affair. He completed 17 of 31 passes for 302 yards, two touchdowns, and an interception.

But he took a sack late in regulation, on a third-down play that could have allowed the Broncos to run out the clock with a three-point lead. The Bears then drove the ball into field-goal range, tying it up with 32 seconds remaining in regulation.

Chicago won the toss to start overtime, and again drove the ball into field-goal range on the opening drive.

Cutler was otherwise 1-2 against the division he’ll now inhabit, losing at home to the Packers in overtime and getting blown out in Detroit by the Lions, 44-7.

The Broncos held off the Vikings in overtime, 22-19.

Let it begin... 0-10 in Lambeau for the next 10 years!!! Devin Hester is decent, but Earl who???

You guys forget Cutler had arguably the best friken WR in the game.. Brandon Marshall and also Eddie Royal... A top 10 TE and a nice slot receiver (stokley)...

Cutler is good, but with only Hester as his targets, and forcing it to a small guy like him , is not going to turn out well... Marshall could bail out Cutler , but Hester is way to small to bail out Cutler 'go up and get it' throws....

Greg Olsen is going to the Pro Bowl this year. He's the only legitimate pass receiving weapon at Cutlers disposal.

Joemailman
04-02-2009, 07:11 PM

Evidence?

Absolutely no running game? Denver was 12th in the NFL in rushing in 2008, 9th in 2007. Packers were 17th in 2008. It is true that Cutler has had a better record when his team holds the opposition to 21 or less. Rodgers was 4-3 last year. But in a couple of those last year, MM became very conservative, and largely took the ball out of Rodgers' hands. Like Cutler, Rodgers was also saddled with a defense that was not very good. Packers lost 7 games in which they had the lead late. The 2 have been in very similar situations. Both have the potential to be among the best, but aren't there yet.

Dabaddestbear
04-02-2009, 07:12 PM

They gave up the farm for him though. Those picks could be used to shore up their aging defense.

Getting Pace, Orton and their 2nd yr. RB from Tulane will help their O immensely.

He whined after he found out is Coach and QB was trying to get rid of him(a probowl QB) behind his back for a one year wonder. Hell, I would of whined too!
Its not like a T.O. Name another time where he complained or whined during all the time he was in Denver. If you are found to complaining about something at your job ONE time, do that make you a complainer for the rest of your career?

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 07:13 PM
hold on...i'm not saying he'll have the success that brett did :shock: or that brett didn't have a few good receivers to throw to :roll: . all i'm saying is that cutler is a very good qb and average type receivers are made better with a very good qb. they'll be much better i believe.

It's the comparison you made. Favre's WR corps was never so devoid of talent as Chicago's is right now. Not even close enough to make a legitimate comparison. That's all I meant.

HarveyWallbangers
04-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Cutler is a solid QB, but citing passing yards for why he is good is pretty meaningless. Big deal. He threw a lot. It's like Ryan Grant getting 1000 yards last year, but only averaging 3.9 yards/carry. His 7.3 yards/attempt was in the middle of the pack. Aaron Rodgers did better than that.

packers11
04-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Cutler is a solid QB, but citing passing yards for why he is good is pretty meaningless. Big deal. He threw a lot. It's like Ryan Grant getting 1000 yards last year, but only averaging 3.9 yards/carry. His 7.3 yards/attempt was in the middle of the pack. Aaron Rodgers did better than that.

With a good receiving cast around him... B-Marsh = top 5...

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 07:17 PM

How did our WR's YAC compare to the rest of the league though? That would be figured into Aaron's yards per attempt also, and our guys are pretty damn good at getting YAC. Yards per attempt isn't necessarily the best indicator either.

gbgary
04-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Sharpe/Brooks
Brooks
Brooks/Freeman
Freeman
Freeman/Driver
Driver
Driver/Walker
Driver/Jennings

These are notable #1/#2 WR's Favre has played with over the years. He's always had at least one probowl caliber WR, sometimes two on eveyr team he's played.

there are five Packer greats there. but we all know that's not all he threw to. there have to be at least 20 spare guys that contributed along with tight-ends and backs.

gbgary
04-02-2009, 07:20 PM

It's the comparison you made. Favre's WR corps was never so devoid of talent as Chicago's is right now. Not even close enough to make a legitimate comparison. That's all I meant.

i hear ya. we're cool.

Partial
04-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Sharpe/Brooks
Brooks
Brooks/Freeman
Freeman
Freeman/Driver
Driver
Driver/Walker
Driver/Jennings

LOL Are you serious? This is downright comical!

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Sharpe/Brooks
Brooks
Brooks/Freeman
Freeman
Freeman/Driver
Driver
Driver/Walker
Driver/Jennings

Which of these guys AREN'T notable to you. They've all been to a Pro Bowl while playing for Green Bay, as JH said.

P.S. You forgot about Andre Rison JH. I know he was only here but for a very short time, but Favre did not win any Super Bowls without him.

Fritz
04-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Well, well, well. So the Bears landed Cutler. Good for them. We'll see how it all plays out, this season and beyond. I predict that the preseason pundits will all be choosing the Bears and Queens for the title, and listing the Pack as the third place team in the division. So we'll see.

As for the Pack, with Denver now loaded for Bear with draft picks, perhaps if Stafford or Sanchez is sitting there at #9, the Broncos might want to move up from their #12 spot and be willing to give up their second - they'll have two firsts, anyway.

That way they can start Orton this year and next, let the kid sit and learn, and have him ready to go in 2011.

I wouldn't mind seeing TT trade down a few spots if he can get a king's ransom in exchange. IF one of the QB's is left when the Pack picks at #9, I think Waldo is right - they might be sitting in the driver's seat.

HarveyWallbangers
04-02-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm not happy that Cutler went to the Bears. He's a solid QB. At this point, he might be slightly overrated, but he has potential to be great. However, for this year it doesn't scare me. To me, the Bears went 8-8 with 6-10 talent. They have too many holes to fill to be a legit contender. Could they win the division? Sure. You have to favor the Vikings at this point, but I'd still say the Packers have a good chance to win it. This year, Cutler isn't enough, but if the Bears can rebuild in the next couple of years, they might actually have a QB that can get them over the top. It's almost surreal. The Bears having a legit starting QB.

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 08:27 PM
It's almost surreal. The Bears having a legit starting QB.

Well, the NFL as we knew it died in January when the Cardinals won the NFC Championship Game. Then Albert Haynesworth got 100 million dollars. Then Terrell Owens signed a 1 year deal with the Buffalo Bills. Then the NFL enacted a rule against forming a wedge on kickoff returns, amongst other things. Now the Bears have a legit starting QB.

What's next?

HarveyWallbangers
04-02-2009, 08:31 PM
How did our WR's YAC compare to the rest of the league though? That would be figured into Aaron's yards per attempt also, and our guys are pretty damn good at getting YAC. Yards per attempt isn't necessarily the best indicator either.

Probably pretty good. Have you seen Brandon Marshall play? He's probably a top 5 WR on deep balls. The other guy, Royal, is pretty darn good after the catch. My point wasn't how they did it. Just the fact that Cutler was third in the league in passing yards, but he threw the second most passes. BTW, Rodgers was fourth in the league in passing yards--while being 6th in pass attempts.

Joemailman
04-02-2009, 08:33 PM
The Bears are now a better team offensively than defensively. The biq question is how much the high price for Cutler will hamper them in rebuilding their defense. Time will tell.

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 08:39 PM

Probably pretty good. Have you seen Brandon Marshall play? He's probably a top 5 WR on deep balls. The other guy, Royal, is pretty darn good after the catch. My point wasn't how they did it. Just the fact that Cutler was third in the league in passing yards, but he threw the second most passes. BTW, Rodgers was fourth in the league in passing yards--while being 6th in pass attempts.

Hey, I'm on your side on this one. I was just pointing out that your using yards per attempt isn't necessarily a better indicator of overall performance than others using total yards passing as their measuring stick.

Dylan McKay
04-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Sharpe/Brooks
Brooks
Brooks/Freeman
Freeman
Freeman/Driver
Driver
Driver/Walker
Driver/Jennings

Which of these guys AREN'T notable to you. They've all been to a Pro Bowl while playing for Green Bay, as JH said.

P.S. You forgot about Andre Rison JH. I know he was only here but for a very short time, but Favre did not win any Super Bowls without him.

The answer to this guestion is if any of these wide receivers experienced any success after they left the Packers or played without Favre? This is a whole can of worms with trying to determine the talent at wide receiver during Favre's time in Green Bay, whether Favre made them into Pro Bowlers, or if they made Favre a better QB than what he actually was. I would have to say that Favre made them better than what they were, I couldn't honestly say that they enlightened Favre's career. There were no Jerry Rice and John Taylor groupings on that list.

But still, Favre had some fairly decent receivers in his time in Green Bay, maybe outside the few years when Freeman was falling out of his prime and that guy from Silver Spoons was the #2 wide out.

Dylan McKay
04-02-2009, 09:02 PM
The Bears are now a better team offensively than defensively. The biq question is how much the high price for Cutler will hamper them in rebuilding their defense. Time will tell.

It is pretty tough to go two years in a row without a 1st round draft pick. The Bears have holes at WR and on the offensive line, but they haven't had a pro bowl caliber quarterback since well I will be generous in Jim Harbaugh.

Overall, long term I think this is a good move for the Bears.

I like Cutler, too bad he has to be a Bear now.

HarveyWallbangers
04-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Hey, I'm on your side on this one. I was just pointing out that your using yards per attempt isn't necessarily a better indicator of overall performance than others using total yards passing as their measuring stick.

I wasn't actually saying it was. Just a counterpoint to the yards passing mentioned. You have to use all of the stats + other factors to judge a QB.

ThunderDan
04-02-2009, 09:36 PM
A little scary IMO.

Floundered? They went to the playoffs in 05, the superbowl in '06, had a down year filled with injuries in '07, and were better than the Pack last year.

Are you smoking crack asshole? The Packers dominated the Bears for 7 quarters last year and split the series 1-1. We outscored the Bears 54-23.

sheepshead
04-02-2009, 09:46 PM
How about poor Brady Quinn, Im reading a 3way with DC was in the works and Denver nixed it? Or Cleveland. Poor guy has to feel like he's not gonna get a chance to start anywhere.

sheepshead
04-02-2009, 09:47 PM
A little scary IMO.

Are you smoking crack asshole? The Packers dominated the Bears for 7 quarters last year and split the series 1-1. We outscored the Bears 54-23.

ah ah ah You're not allowed to question this poster, much less call him names. His mom works here or something, be careful.

sheepshead
04-02-2009, 09:50 PM

He whined after he found out is Coach and QB was trying to get rid of him(a probowl QB) behind his back for a one year wonder. Hell, I would of whined too!
Its not like a T.O. Name another time where he complained or whined during all the time he was in Denver. If you are found to complaining about something at your job ONE time, do that make you a complainer for the rest of your career?

a good read:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-03-morrissey-jay-cutler-bears-chapr03,0,4048493.column

Bretsky
04-02-2009, 09:53 PM

Not that it's significant, but in a poll taken on espn, the rest of the country backs Partial's view. Out of which of the 4 young QB's listed, who is better? Rodgers was way behind Ryan, Cutler and I forget the other.

I have no problem with anybody who thinks Cutler is better than Rodgers

I don't agree with it, but if you put homerism aside I think one could make an argument either way.

The Bears got a lot better today; that is the bottom line.

Year after year Green Bay use to beat the Bears because our QB play was vastly superior to theirs.

The Bears finally have something viable.

ThunderDan
04-02-2009, 09:53 PM
A little scary IMO.

ah ah ah You're not allowed to question this poster, much less call him names. His mom works here or something, be careful.

Thanks for the heads up but I am not really worried.

Dude spouts off like the biggest know it all and than gets shown to be a complete idiot!!

I wish Partial was the GM of an NFL team. He would lead the team to 4-12 every year but sign all of the big name FA just like when he plays Madden.

Bretsky
04-02-2009, 09:58 PM

Well, the NFL as we knew it died in January when the Cardinals won the NFC Championship Game. Then Albert Haynesworth got 100 million dollars. Then Terrell Owens signed a 1 year deal with the Buffalo Bills. Then the NFL enacted a rule against forming a wedge on kickoff returns, amongst other things. Now the Bears have a legit starting QB.

What's next?

TTT signs a free agent starter ? :lol: :lol:

Joemailman
04-02-2009, 10:00 PM
A little scary IMO.

Maybe he said that because the Bears won more games than the Packers last year? Just a thought.

The Leaper
04-02-2009, 10:07 PM
The Bears just got better...and significantly so.

It sure makes Wolf's deal for Favre look like a steal though. The Bears had to pay through the nose!

mission
04-02-2009, 10:11 PM
He would lead the team to 4-12 every year.

I'll take the under.

Guiness
04-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Yes, I am sure that is what most of you will be saying. But like I said in an earlier post, the Bears WR's would get open deep alot, Orton just would always over throw or under throw them.... He missed Hester several times deep wide open. That will not happen with Cutler.

Was that because Hester put on the jets, and ran a seam for the enzone, when he was supposed to be running a post route? Just saying...

I think the Bears got better today as well, but won't be getting any better for a while without those picks. Losing those 3 draft choices is going to hurt. :shock:

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 10:19 PM
So now that Rex and Kyle are both gone, who's going to be Cutler's backup this year?

Partial
04-02-2009, 10:30 PM
A little scary IMO.

Better record??

Partial
04-02-2009, 10:31 PM
A little scary IMO.

Thanks for the heads up but I am not really worried.

Dude spouts off like the biggest know it all and than gets shown to be a complete idiot!!

I wish Partial was the GM of an NFL team. He would lead the team to 4-12 every year but sign all of the big name FA just like when he plays Madden.

Uh... what? I support the Teets approach of organic growth and draft solidly. When have I ever said otherwise? STFU

pbmax
04-02-2009, 10:37 PM

What's next?

TTT signs a free agent starter ? :lol: :lol:
And now Packer fans get to find out what it is like to compete AGAINST the gunslinging type. Cutler has the arm to make incredible throws. But his TD/INT ratio is 1.459. Very close to Brett's career mark of 1.497.

And by the way, yard per attempt is one of the better single stat measurements for QBs. YAC yardage is very QB independent statistically. Since there are clearly QBs who are more accurate than others (enabling them to give the receiver the ball in stride), this suggests that there are other determining factors involved in addition to the QB (routes and receivers among them). The problem with Yards per Att is that the range of good is small (between 7.0 and 8.0) and its hard to distinguish between QBs with numbers that are close.

Bossman641
04-02-2009, 10:40 PM
So now that Rex and Kyle are both gone, who's going to be Cutler's backup this year?

Don't think the Bears have picked up any other QB's this offseason, so I'm saying Caleb Hanie. He was actually pretty decent last preseason.

Partial
04-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Where's sexy rexy? I always kinda liked him as a player. Good arm. Knack for the big play and theatrics.

Bossman641
04-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Where's sexy rexy? I always kinda liked him as a player. Good arm. Knack for the big play and theatrics.

I think you mean knack for the stupid play. He's unsigned.

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 10:44 PM

I'll always remember him for the lofty 0.0 QB rating he put up on us before being pulled at halftime on New Years Eve a few years back.

Partial
04-02-2009, 10:53 PM

Didn't specify which team the big play was for :P

mission
04-02-2009, 11:27 PM

You love those kind of guys apparently, Partial... all show and hot air... relateable I guess? :P

mission
04-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Dilfer is saying on ESPN that Cutler is "BY FAR" (he stressed that) the second best QB in the division. Him and Schlereth are saying the exact same things. Lots of A-Rod praising right now, wow... good minute or so of explanation on why they're loving Rodgers.

Bretsky
04-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Dilfer is saying on ESPN that Cutler is "BY FAR" (he stressed that) the second best QB in the division. Him and Schlereth are saying the exact same things. Lots of A-Rod praising right now, wow... good minute or so of explanation on why they're loving Rodgers.

Dilfer has been an idiot lately....noticing Culter would not be that much of an upgrade the the Vikings :?: There is no by far in this comparison....either way. Most non homers would think Cutler is better than AROD; I'm a homer......and I can admit that......so I think AROD is slightly better than Cutler.

But time will tell if I'm right or wrong, and it would not surprise me either way

Noodle
04-03-2009, 12:09 AM

It sure makes Wolf's deal for Favre look like a steal though. The Bears had to pay through the nose!

Yes, they got better. Big time.

But come on, Leap, that's not really a fair comparison. Favre was a never was bench warmer in Hotlanta, and it still cost GB a first rounder to get him. Cutler is a proven real deal, so I don't think it's extraordinary to give up two ones to get yourself a proven near-first tier qb like Cutler.

Besides, people overvalue draft picks, acting as if they are sure gold. Really? Let's see, we had no first round pick in 2008 and picked up JH in 2007. Even if you call our 2008 first rounder Jordy Nelson, who I like, wouldn't you rather have Cutler over JH and Jordy?

Bretsky
04-03-2009, 12:20 AM

Yes, they got better. Big time.

But come on, Leap, that's not really a fair comparison. Favre was a never was bench warmer in Hotlanta, and it still cost GB a first rounder to get him. Cutler is a proven real deal, so I don't think it's extraordinary to give up two ones to get yourself a proven near-first tier qb like Cutler.

Besides, people overvalue draft picks, acting as if they are sure gold. Really? Let's see, we had no first round pick in 2008 and picked up JH in 2007. Even if you call our 2008 first rounder Jordy Nelson, who I like, wouldn't you rather have Cutler over JH and Jordy?

Great Points Noodle; draft picks can be hit or miss anyways

I think TTT has had 11 1st or second rounders so far

Up to this point we have one star (Jennings)
One potentially rising star IMO (Rodgers)
and One very good player who might be a star (Collins)
one disappointing player we all pray begins to excel (Hawk)

We have some decent guys in Colledge and Spitz.....Nelson

And we have some non producers so far in Justine Harrell, Patrick Lee, Brian Brohm, and Terrence Murphy (I know the latter is not fair)

To trade picks for a legit player who is young...........dang

SMART MOVE by Da Bears.

Dabaddestbear
04-03-2009, 12:21 AM

lol...these ESPN idiots don't even know who is on our team. :shock: They're clueless. The only time they'll figure out who is even on our roster is if we make the playoffs.

They were mentioning players on our team that got cut right after the season ended, and Schlereth all of a sudden has a man love for Orton and made him out to be a Pro-Bowl QB now that he is with his old team(Broncos). He is the same person that said the Bears would finish last in the division last year, and second to last the year they went to the SB...lol. They both went on to say the Bears would be worst this upcoming season than last..lol. I never trust these cats judgment even when they are talking bad about the Packers :roll:

All of that being said, these are the only national guys saying this was not good for the Bears. Check out both of their predictions each year on espn archives and you will see what I mean. They are some of the worst!

Here go an excerpt from an article from NFL.COM that breaks it down with less bias.

Presuming that all works as planned, the Bears clearly can thrive this season when you consider their soft schedule and the fact they have, by far, the best quarterback in their division.

The Green Bay Packers are solid with Aaron Rodgers, but he still has some developing to do. The Vikings will pick a starter from one of two unaccomplished candidates -- Sage Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson. The Lions are likely to find their quarterback in the draft, but it is unlikely that a rookie (whether he is Matthew Stafford or Mark Sanchez or anyone else) is going to make an impact this year.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f9531b&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

SI.COM

Having won the Cutler sweepstakes -- and rapidly at that -- the Bears have instantly upgraded their quarterback position to the best in the NFC North.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/04/02/cutler/index.html?eref=T1

Fox Sports

Now we have a clear starter in the Windy City, and I think this bodes well for them. Chicago now has the best quarterback in the NFC North (Sage Rosenfels MIN, Aaron Rodgers GB, Drew Stanton DET).
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Greenspire/2009/04/02/BREAKING_NEWS_Cutler_On_His_Way_Out_of_Denver

USA TODAY

"This puts Lovie Smith and the Bears back in the Super Bowl conversation," CBS and NFL Network analyst Solomon Wilcots said. "Is there a better quarterback in the NFC North division than Jay Cutler?
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-04-02-cutler-traded_N.htm

And go on all major sports websites and you will see that none is talking as stupid as those two on ESPN..lol.

HarveyWallbangers
04-03-2009, 12:31 AM

Yeah, some times I think draft picks are slightly overvalued because they aren't sure things. I actually like the trade for the Bears. However, there is a flip side. We generally haven't picked well in round 1, even under Ron Wolf, but look at what some other teams have done with first round picks in back-to-back years:

The Vikings picked Adrian Peterson + Chad Greenway
The Ravens picked Ed Reed + Terrell Suggs
The Panthers picks Jordan Gross + Julius Peppers
The Jaguars picked Marcus Stroud + John Henderson
The Patroits picked Vince Wilfork + Ty Warren
The Steelers picked Ben Roethlisberger + Troy Polamalu
The Chargers picked Antonio Cromartie + Shawne Merriman

Partial
04-03-2009, 12:55 AM
Harv,

I don't know how many of those guys were picked high, but some of them certainly will. They're not going to find a Julius Peppers at 18! Ideally, if the Bears improve and make the playoffs with Cutler, which is a legit possibility -- maybe even a probability when looking at their schedule --, they will likely be picking even lower next year.

That is something that has to be considered, as not all 1s are created equal, as you obviously know.

I think the Bears got a steal personally. Franchise QBs don't go on the market often.

Patler
04-03-2009, 03:20 AM

Absolutely not true. Most of us were questioning on here what had become of the slant. A staple in the Packers game plan under Favre virtually disappeared last year. Even McCarthy admitted it last year when he was asked how the offense would change with the QB change. He said that the principles of the offense did not change, but the frequency of certain play calls would, because QBs have different strengths on different throws. He then specifically mentioned the short slant, which he said Favre threw better than anyone, but was not a strength for Rodgers. As it turned out, he did not call it nearly as much as in the past.

Rodger's average TD pass was 15.6 yards. In 2007 Favre's average was 25.2 I believe the Packers led the NFL in YAC 2007, but dropped significantly in 2008. Rodgers YAC% in 2008 was 41%, one of the lowest in the NFL. (Favre's in 2008 was 51%). Of 40 QBs rated, only 4 had a lower YAC% than Rodgers in 2008. The receivers even talked about it toward the end of the year, and how they had declined from their performance in 2007.

If you look at "air yards/attempt", the average yardage picked up before the catch, in essence the opposite of YAC, among the 40 QBs rated, Rodgers was tied for 3rd highest average.

Rodgers got his yards on his throws, not on his receivers picking up yardage after the catch.

Fritz
04-03-2009, 06:07 AM

Absolutely not true. Most of us were questioning on here what had become of the slant. A staple in the Packers game plan under Favre virtually disappeared last year. Even McCarthy admitted it last year when he was asked how the offense would change with the QB change. He said that the principles of the offense did not change, but the frequency of certain play calls would, because QBs have different strengths on different throws. He then specifically mentioned the short slant, which he said Favre threw better than anyone, but was not a strength for Rodgers. As it turned out, he did not call it nearly as much as in the past.

Rodger's average TD pass was 15.6 yards. In 2007 Favre's average was 25.2 I believe the Packers led the NFL in YAC 2007, but dropped significantly in 2008. Rodgers YAC% in 2008 was 41%, one of the lowest in the NFL. (Favre's in 2008 was 51%). Of 40 QBs rated, only 4 had a lower YAC% than Rodgers in 2008. The receivers even talked about it toward the end of the year, and how they had declined from their performance in 2007.

If you look at "air yards/attempt", the average yardage picked up before the catch, in essence the opposite of YAC, among the 40 QBs rated, Rodgers was tied for 3rd highest average.

Rodgers got his yards on his throws, not on his receivers picking up yardage after the catch.

Doesn't matter who you root for....Patler is an equal-opportunity Paterlizer!
Go Patler!

MJZiggy
04-03-2009, 06:11 AM
:lol: :lol:

Waldo
04-03-2009, 06:41 AM

I noticed that MM called a lot more post-corner routes. In fact I'm at a loss to think of a time he ever called it with Brett. An extremely effective yet dangerous route, an underthrown ball is an int with near certainty. Aaron tends to miss long on the deep ones, Brett missed short, perhaps explaining why MM never called the route previously.

Patler
04-03-2009, 06:46 AM
I noticed that MM called a lot more post-corner routes. In fact I'm at a loss to think of a time he ever called it with Brett. An extremely effective yet dangerous route, an underthrown ball is an int with near certainty. Aaron tends to miss long on the deep ones, Brett missed short, perhaps explaining why MM never called the route previously.

MM mentioned one time that Rodgers strength was in the 15-20 yard range, and that he was most comfortable throwing out routes. Goes hand-in-hand with your observation of what was called.

cpk1994
04-03-2009, 07:08 AM

You love those kind of guys apparently, Partial... all show and hot air... relateable I guess? :P :lol: Boy, Partial's retardosity is showing a lot in this thread. More than ususal.

So, the Bears signed Cutler. Good pick up, but he isn't a stud, no matter how much Partial slobs on his knob. He still needs WR to throw to and the rest of the team is old and full of holes. I still say the Packers win the division this year.

cpk1994
04-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Like I said Rodgers is a good QB, but there was many times that he just threw short passes and his WR's would make a 7 yard slant pass into a 50 yard gain.I know you are a bear troll, so the confusion is understandible. You are thinking of Favre from 2008. Rodgers rarely ever threw the slant pass. Matter of fact, people here were bitching that McCarthy wasn't calling that at all like the previous year. So, as usual, you don't know whath the hell you are talking about.

Waldo
04-03-2009, 07:18 AM

MM mentioned one time that Rodgers strength was in the 15-20 yard range, and that he was most comfortable throwing out routes. Goes hand-in-hand with your observation of what was called.

The angles involved in a post-corner are what make is so dangerous, for both sides.

A CB playing the inside shoulder on the post is burned immediately by a quick WR that cuts to the corner. There is no angle on that route. If the WR is equally as fast as the CB and the S has no angle, a well thrown ball is a TD.

However, it is one of the only routes where a good throw flies directly over the head of the DB. The throw not only has to be long, it needs loft so a good jumping CB can't get his hands on it.

Very dangerous route. Miss short and it's an int. It is a deep touch throw, one of the hardest throws to make. Drop the ball in perfect however and that route scores a very high % of the time.

PlantPage55
04-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Another misguided Bears fan spouting made up rhetoric about our QB.

Oh how I wish those losers on ESPN would actually break down how teams perform intelligently instead of relying on cliches and generalities.

Then again, it wouldn't stop the bullshit artists from coming around anyway, I'd bet.

Packnut
04-03-2009, 08:36 AM
It's funny how times can change. I remember being one of the few in this forum who stuck up for Rodgers when 99% of the people here were ripping him a new one. I kept pointing out how he improved in pre-season games year to year which was crucial in determining his future value.

It continues to amaze me that so many here still continue to believe their "opinion" is a better barometer of a debate than the facts are.

Cutler right now at this moment in time is a better QB than Rodgers. That is fact. Throw out all the dumb worthless statistics and focus on what makes an NFL QB- the ability to WIN. Cutler has that. He's proved it. Rodgers has'nt. That is fact. Keep in mind, Cutler played on a team with a D almost as bad as ours. He also played on a team with continous injuries at RB.

Now we can argue all we want who has the better future and who will be more talented. Those are opinions and good for entertainment purposes.

I pride myself on evaluating QB's. I also was in the great minority here when a lot of you were spouting the Favre was washed up theory a few years back. I argued he was'nt and what happened? #04 went on to have a career season.

The biggest problem Rodgers will face imo, is his coach telling him a 3 yd checkdown is ok on 3rd and 11. Sure it is, when you have a defense that can make a stop. When you don't (I offer the 2008 Packer defense as evidence), then that 3 yd checkdown is pointless.

That is what some of you clowns who ripped Favre for the picks never got it through your thick skulls. What difference does it make losing by 7 or 27? A loss is a loss. Favre knew it, and that is why he took the chances. His attitude was if your going to lose than at least go down swinging. Checkdowns are for losers when your D is a sieve. So PLEASE stop the Cutler threw more picks than Rodgers crap as part of your "why Rodgers is better than Cutler" garbage.

For the record, I believe both QB's will have similiar careers. The wild card is how much talent will be assembled around them.

Patler
04-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Cutler right now at this moment in time is a better QB than Rodgers. That is fact. Throw out all the dumb worthless statistics and focus on what makes an NFL QB- the ability to WIN. Cutler has that. He's proved it.

Fact? What fact?
Cutler has proven he has the ability to win? Based on what?
His losing record as a starting QB?
His failure to get his team into the playoffs when they were in the drivers seat to get there in 2008 with just 3 games to go?
Didn't the Broncos have a 3 game lead, with 3 games to be played?

Cutler has proven nothing yet.
Rodgers has proven nothing yet.
Both have shown the physical talent necessary to be good NFL QBs.

KYPack
04-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Cutler right now at this moment in time is a better QB than Rodgers. That is fact. Throw out all the dumb worthless statistics and focus on what makes an NFL QB- the ability to WIN. Cutler has that. He's proved it.

Fact? What fact?
Cutler has proven he has the ability to win? Based on what?
His losing record as a starting QB?
His failure to get his team into the playoffs when they were in the drivers seat to get there in 2008 with just 3 games to go?

Cutler has proven nothing yet.
Rodgers has proven nothing yet.
Both have shown the physical talent necessary to be good NFL QBs.

Rodgers is 6-10 as the starter.
Cutler is 17-20.

A couple young guns with a lot to prove. They will have more than one NFL North shootout in the next few years.

I like this discusssion of the disappearing slant. That would be a route that Rodgers should hit pretty well. I wonder why MM went away from it?

packers11
04-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Cutler right now at this moment in time is a better QB than Rodgers. That is fact. Throw out all the dumb worthless statistics and focus on what makes an NFL QB- the ability to WIN. Cutler has that. He's proved it. Rodgers has'nt.

Does being 8-5 then losing the next three consecutive games to miss the playoffs, and choke big time in your final game against divisonal rivals to miss the playoffs considered "A qb with the ability to win"

Rodgers didn't make playoffs , and neither did Cutler... Neither "won" anything valuable yet... I'm not sure how you can say Cutler has shown anything about 'winning'...

Patler
04-03-2009, 09:10 AM
I like this discusssion of the disappearing slant. That would be a route that Rodgers should hit pretty well. I wonder why MM went away from it?

MM implied early in the year that Rodgers does not throw it particularly well, nor does he like to throw it. It seemed to me they never threw it early, but did a little more often later in the season. Hopefully it will be a play that Rodgers gets better at and becomes more comfortable with over time.

Dabaddestbear
04-03-2009, 09:13 AM

You love those kind of guys apparently, Partial... all show and hot air... relateable I guess? :P :lol: Boy, Partial's retardosity is showing a lot in this thread. More than ususal.

So, the Bears signed Cutler. Good pick up, but he isn't a stud, no matter how much Partial slobs on his knob. He still needs WR to throw to and the rest of the team is old and full of holes. I still say the Packers win the division this year.
old and full of holes? how is this different from the Packers? :roll:
And go ahead and name all the many holes you speak of.

Dabaddestbear
04-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Like I said Rodgers is a good QB, but there was many times that he just threw short passes and his WR's would make a 7 yard slant pass into a 50 yard gain.I know you are a bear troll, so the confusion is understandible. You are thinking of Favre from 2008. Rodgers rarely ever threw the slant pass. Matter of fact, people here were bitching that McCarthy wasn't calling that at all like the previous year. So, as usual, you don't know whath the hell you are talking about.
Ok, let me be more specific....he throws short quick passes and Driver and Jennings make it happen afterwards. And another point is Jennings bailed him out on a lot of crazy thrown balls.

I watched every Packer game. I seem to know more about them than you..sad. No more 7-8 man fronts for teams playing the Bears :D

Patler
04-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Ok, let me be more specific....he throws short quick passes and Driver and Jennings make it happen afterwards. And another point is Jennings bailed him out on a lot of crazy thrown balls.

I know you did not write this to me, but let me be more specific in an answer to you. You are wrong! :lol: :lol:

Honestly, yards after catch totals were down considerably for the Packers in 2008. Looking at the percentage of YAC yardage to total passing yardage, only 3 of 40 QBs had a lower percentage than Rodgers. Rodgers had the 4th highest average of "air yards" per attempt. The receivers did not add as much yardage to Rodgers totals as most other QBs got from their receivers.

gbgary
04-03-2009, 09:34 AM

i was one of those that asked where the slant had gone early on. everything else mentioned here backs-up my play-calling criticism "all we seem to do is run, run, go deep, punt." first-downs weren't getting made, drives were stalling, the short stuff wasn't the main-stay it had been. the true west-coast offense wasn't being used. so the defense was on the field too much and being taken advantage of. that's on MM not rodgers, who i think is very good, but needs experience and will only get better. MM has got to get better!

red
04-03-2009, 09:38 AM
how are the bears salary cap wise?

could they now make a play for torry holt? or something like that. it would be a short term solution, but it would be a huge upgrade for them

Gunakor
04-03-2009, 09:39 AM

Yes he is a stud. Trust me, the Bears got themselves a franchise QB now, at a very young age.

This is definite cause for concern long term. In the short term I think we'll be okay, especially this year. As long as we have experienced corners like Al and Chuck playing at a Pro Bowl level, I don't think the Bears have any receivers for Cutler to take advantage of when playing against us. But looking twoard the future, if the Bears get themselves a legitimate #1 WR, and our aging corners lose their edge, this could spell real trouble for the Packers.

Patler
04-03-2009, 09:47 AM
I spent some time reading the Denver and other Colorado sports columnists. I was surprised to not find one that criticized the Broncos. About the most critical were to the effect of, too bad it happened. Many came right out and said the Broncos were clear winners in the deal, getting three high picks for Cutler.

Seems to be a lot of left over resentment from having blown a three game lead with three games to play. As one columnist wrote, in Orton and Simms they have two QBs who have done something Cutler never has, played well enough to get their teams into the playoffs.

Bossman641
04-03-2009, 09:49 AM

WR's, safeties, their OL may not be a hole but it is unproven, their defense is still solid but nowhere near the young, attacking guys they were before. A lot of those guys are getting up their in years. Plus, a lot of them have gotten paid and don't seem as hungry as they used to be.

3irty1
04-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Seemed like last year teams were cheating on the slant and McCarthy called a lot of slant-n-go routes. I expect we'll see much more of it in the offense this year. I'm not sure how it doesn't play to Rodgers advantages as he seems to have a strong accurate arm and quick release but it definitely plays to the advantages of our WR who all do a great job of exploading out of their cuts and picking up YAC.

Dabaddestbear
04-03-2009, 09:56 AM
how are the bears salary cap wise?

could they now make a play for torry holt? or something like that. it would be a short term solution, but it would be a huge upgrade for them
They are very set salary cap wise. And not having to pay a first rounder for two years straight will help the pockets tremendously, not to mention Cutler will only count 1mil against the cap next year!

Many people think they may look to Holt now. It would be nice, but I am not sure. We do have a WR in Bennett that broke all kinds of WR records in the SEC in 2007. And guess who was his QB for one of those season at Vanderbilt....Cutler! He didnt see the field last year because they say he didnt have the playbook down. And plus Lovie just have something against playing rookies unless they are just looking great. The Bears rookie LT last year who got injured in the first couple games last year and sat out the remainder was also the starting LT for Cutler in Vanderbilt.

Like I have told other football fans on here, this is not like the season is about to start tomorrow. We still have the rest of off season to make more stuff happen to build on these recent signings. No matter how one cuts it, the Bears arrow for the upcoming season is looking very good. :D

Waldo
04-03-2009, 09:59 AM

i was one of those that asked where the slant had gone early on. everything else mentioned here backs-up my play-calling criticism "all we seem to do is run, run, go deep, punt." first-downs weren't getting made, drives were stalling, the short stuff wasn't the main-stay it had been. the true west-coast offense wasn't being used. so the defense was on the field too much and being taken advantage of. that's on MM not rodgers, who i think is very good, but needs experience and will only get better. MM has got to get better!

On virtually every play the defense is attacked at 3 levels. There are either 4 or 5 eligible receivers depending on the protection call. There is almost always a WR deep enough to draw the FS, a WR taking advantage of the FS movement, a WR/TE attacking the intermediate area away form the SS, and a short wide outlet. When and to who the ball is thrown is a function of the presnap read, drop and QB choice. Brett and Aaron read defenses differently. It is not playcalling, it is the passer.

Partial
04-03-2009, 10:01 AM

Retardosity? Where? You mean the team that had a better record than the Packers, when adding a franchise quarterback will continue to be better than the Packers? Shocking. Really just truly shocking that one can reason this way. Use your head for something other than at hat rack for a change.

Dude, you're such a homer. The only retard here is you. I see things clearly.

Receivers: No one is saying they're going to have a potent offense, but their are some vet receivers on the market that could help for a year or two. Plus, good QBs make bad receivers look average. I think you're doing a disservice to Cutler and the Bears, the team that the Pack is 1-3 against the past two years before they had a franchise QB.

Mission: Like the way he plays the game. He attacks it without fear. Rex plays the game the way I want my QB to play... except I want my guy to do it better with fewer mistakes. Cutler is probably that exact guy.

Fritz
04-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Are you Partially a Bears fan?

Partial
04-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Nope, but I can see that they have dominated the Pack the past 3 years, and with our division being so poor, the teams that can win in the division will do fine.

Bears are solid on all three sides of the ball. Packers are solid on O on paper(weren't last season in games), defense has a lot of questions, and will be very solid on ST outside of punter.

Waldo
04-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Seemed like last year teams were cheating on the slant and McCarthy called a lot of slant-n-go routes. I expect we'll see much more of it in the offense this year. I'm not sure how it doesn't play to Rodgers advantages as he seems to have a strong accurate arm and quick release but it definitely plays to the advantages of our WR who all do a great job of exploading out of their cuts and picking up YAC.

I don't think so. Aaron is exceptionally good at driving the ball to the the numbers and the sidelines. Our primary slant receiver is declining, our young up and comers are much better on the edges.

And Aaron is incredibly accurate deep in the middle.

Our offense last year was similar to the Matt Ryan offense in a number of ways, but Aaron threw to about 10x as many landmarks as Ryan, and fit the ball in much tighter windows.

Dabaddestbear
04-03-2009, 10:11 AM

WR's, safeties, their OL may not be a hole but it is unproven, their defense is still solid but nowhere near the young, attacking guys they were before. A lot of those guys are getting up their in years. Plus, a lot of them have gotten paid and don't seem as hungry as they used to be.
Their O-line last year was still better than the Packers, and only second to the Vikings in the NFC north. They played very well for an patchwork group last year. Adding tackles Pace and Shaffer, and having Williams back now and ready to play will only help.

The defense is not as old as you may think. The D-line is pretty young, the DB's are VERY young, and outside of Briggs and Urlacher the linebackers are up and coming.

But I do agree that some people they paid big time have lacked since then. Namely Vasher and Harris. Harris will be back to form with the new D-line coordinator, Vasher I am not so sure about. But the young backup outperformed him last year anyway.

HarveyWallbangers
04-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Honestly, yards after catch totals were down considerably for the Packers in 2008. Looking at the percentage of YAC yardage to total passing yardage, only 3 of 40 QBs had a lower percentage than Rodgers. Rodgers had the 4th highest average of "air yards" per attempt. The receivers did not add as much yardage to Rodgers totals as most other QBs got from their receivers.

Interesting. This is something I did not know. I never bought into Partial's game manager statements on Rodgers, and this and the fact he was one of the better QBs on deep throws, seems to shed new light on it. Rodgers didn't get his yards by throwing short throws and having his receivers gain massive yardage. That was 2007. Apparently, in 2008 the Packers got much more of their passing yards from the distance of the throws and not the yac.

Gunakor
04-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Nope, but I can see that they have dominated the Pack the past 3 years.

They were a missed FG away from being 0-2 against us last year, remember? If each quarter was it's own football game, we'd have gone 7-1 against the Bears last season. They didn't dominate us last year. For the first 105 minutes of our rivalry last season, we dominated them. 37-3 over the first 60. Then they dominated us for the final 15, and ended up winning a football game. Whether your selective memory allows you to comprehend it, in reality this is what happened last season.

PlantPage55
04-03-2009, 11:13 AM

Interesting. This is something I did not know. I never bought into Partial's game manager statements on Rodgers, and this and the fact he was one of the better QBs on deep throws, seems to shed new light on it. Rodgers didn't get his yards by throwing short throws and having his receivers gain massive yardage. That was 2007. Apparently, in 2008 the Packers got much more of their passing yards from the distance of the throws and not the yac.

It doesn't matter. The Bears fan ALREADY ignored the fact that he was proven wrong on that. :roll:

pbmax
04-03-2009, 11:21 AM
On virtually every play the defense is attacked at 3 levels. There are either 4 or 5 eligible receivers depending on the protection call. There is almost always a WR deep enough to draw the FS, a WR taking advantage of the FS movement, a WR/TE attacking the intermediate area away form the SS, and a short wide outlet. When and to who the ball is thrown is a function of the presnap read, drop and QB choice. Brett and Aaron read defenses differently. It is not playcalling, it is the passer.
Godspeed Waldo, on this point. Because even here, in a safe, sane and intelligent forum, there are no more than 10 people who keep this in mind while looking to place blame on playcalling.

3irty1
04-03-2009, 11:24 AM

I don't think so. Aaron is exceptionally good at driving the ball to the the numbers and the sidelines. Our primary slant receiver is declining, our young up and comers are much better on the edges.

And Aaron is incredibly accurate deep in the middle.

Our offense last year was similar to the Matt Ryan offense in a number of ways, but Aaron threw to about 10x as many landmarks as Ryan, and fit the ball in much tighter windows.

I still think we'll see more slants this year. It only seems natural as the game slows down for Rodgers and his ability to make quick decisions improves. I agree that Driver is most suited to running the slant because of his toughness over the middle, ability to rocket out of his cuts, and freakish YAC ability but all of the Packers other receivers have some of these qualities as well. Plus I'm not convinced that Driver is actually declining yet although you have to think it will happen soon.

Partial
04-03-2009, 11:25 AM

They were a missed FG away from being 0-2 against us last year, remember? If each quarter was it's own football game, we'd have gone 7-1 against the Bears last season. They didn't dominate us last year. For the first 105 minutes of our rivalry last season, we dominated them. 37-3 over the first 60. Then they dominated us for the final 15, and ended up winning a football game. Whether your selective memory allows you to comprehend it, in reality this is what happened last season.

Unfortunately for you, Gunk, football isn't 7/8 of a game. It's a complete game. The Bears have dominated us for 2 years now, winning 75% of the time against us. I could go further back, but why?

They're 6-2 against us 4 years. Is that not domination of the series recently? I think that it is.

You're the one with the selective memory, choosing to ignore the actual results of the game, and instead debate them with some arbitrary % of the game.

Bossman641
04-03-2009, 11:32 AM

Unfortunately for you, Gunk, football isn't 7/8 of a game. It's a complete game. The Bears have dominated us for 2 years now, winning 75% of the time against us. I could go further back, but why?

They're 6-2 against us 4 years. Is that not domination of the series recently? I think that it is.

You're the one with the selective memory, choosing to ignore the actual results of the game, and instead debate them with some arbitrary % of the game.

Dominated?

The Bears may have won, but they certainly didn't dominate. I give the Bears credit. They have been able to win a large percentage of games they should have had no business winning.

The Packers had problems finishing numerous games last year. My hope is that with Rodgers in year 2 and Capers directing the defense, they will get back some of that killer instinct they have been sorely missing.

Gunakor
04-03-2009, 11:52 AM

37-3 isn't some select stat of a game. 37-3 happened in 60 minutes - that's a complete game. I say again, the BEARS were dominated over that span of one complete game. Those were the actual results. We were not dominated that day.

The other game we were leading going into the 4th quarter, and fell behind only to lose the game on a missed FG at the end of it. We lost that game, but I couldn't say we were dominated and neither could anyone else. It was a well fought game from both sides, and neither was dominated. So in two games LAST year, we were not dominated. Which disproves your statement that they've dominated us for 3 straight years. Get it?

You know what, this would be easier to understand if I knew your definition of a team being dominated. If you lose by less than a FG, I wouldn't consider that being dominated. If you WIN by 34 points, I surely wouldn't consider that BEING dominated (I'd actually consider that complete and total domination of the other team). You obviously have a different definition of the word, so please enlighten us as to what you believe it's meaning is.

Guiness
04-03-2009, 12:10 PM
They are very set salary cap wise. And not having to pay a first rounder for two years straight will help the pockets tremendously, not to mention Cutler will only count 1mil against the cap next year!

I would be shocked :shock: :shock: x10
if the Bears did not 'have' to renegotiate Cutler's contract. This is Bus Cook we're talking about, and you have to know one of the reasons he was so elated about the falling out in Denver is that he saw the dollar signs.

I'm guessing Angelo's phone is ringing right now. Seriously, does anyone think Cook and Butler won't be pushing HARD for an extension. Let me be the first to say he's not in camp if he doesn't get one.

Gunakor
04-03-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm guessing Angelo's phone is ringing right now. Seriously, does anyone think Cook and Butler won't be pushing HARD for an extension.

Cook, probably. Butler?

Guiness
04-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Godspeed Waldo, on this point. Because even here, in a safe, sane and intelligent forum, there are no more than 10 people who keep this in mind while looking to place blame on playcalling.

It's the passer, how many reads he can progress through, what his prefered and throws are...at this point in his career, I'd guess he doesn't progress through the reads as quickly and easily as Brett did after being a 10+ yr veteran.

Generally speaking, yes, all the routes you talked about will be there. And Rodgers should be able to eventually hit all of them, he's certainly hitting what should be the harder ones - a couple of those long throws to Jennings.

We've already seen what many considered his 'happy feet' (i.e. one read and take off running) go away, and I'm guessing as he further matures this year, we'll see completions to routes he previously ignored.

Dabaddestbear
04-03-2009, 12:27 PM

if the Bears did not 'have' to renegotiate Cutler's contract. This is Bus Cook we're talking about, and you have to know one of the reasons he was so elated about the falling out in Denver is that he saw the dollar signs.

I'm guessing Angelo's phone is ringing right now. Seriously, does anyone think Cook and Butler won't be pushing HARD for an extension. Let me be the first to say he's not in camp if he doesn't get one.
Nope, it was asked and answered that a requirment of reworking his contract was not part of the trade. But Like I said on here before, JA has no problem paying players that deserve it, even some that dont...lol.
I am sure after this year the Bears will approach Cutler about reworking the contract. This year he only counts about 2 mil against the cap, and next year only about 1. I say that is way less than they would be paying two first round draft picks in signing bonuses that would have to pay. Think about how cash strapped Denver will be after trying to pay four unproven 1st rounders bonuses over two years :shock:

Guiness
04-03-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm guessing Angelo's phone is ringing right now. Seriously, does anyone think Cook and Butler won't be pushing HARD for an extension.

Cook, probably. Butler?

Alphabet soup error, oh observant one. Cook and Cutler

sheepshead
04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
The thing I keep thinking about is Pat Bowlen is one of the best, most loyal owners in sports. If he thought Cutler was the goods, I cant imagine that he wouldnt have done everything in his power to fix this. Seems to me there's plenty beneath the surface we're not seeing. Time will tell.

Patler
04-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Think about how cash strapped Denver will be after trying to pay four unproven 1st rounders bonuses over two years :shock:

Not to mention that it also looks like Denver could have a fair amount in bonuses already paid to Cutler that have not yet been fully counted against their cap. These will be accelerated.

Bossman641
04-03-2009, 12:36 PM
The thing I keep thinking about is Pat Bowlen is one of the best, most loyal owners in sports. If he thought Cutler was the goods, I cant imagine that he wouldnt have done everything in his power to fix this. Seems to me there's plenty beneath the surface we're not seeing. Time will tell.

I've also heard Bowlen is the kind of guy you don't cross though. I'm sure once Cutler and Cook cut off communication for 10 days he said enough is enough.

Guiness
04-03-2009, 12:37 PM

Nope, it was asked and answered that a requirment of reworking his contract was not part of the trade. But Like I said on here before, JA has no problem paying players that deserve it, even some that dont...lol.
I am sure after this year the Bears will approach Cutler about reworking the contract. This year he only counts about 2 mil against the cap, and next year only about 1. I say that is way less than they would be paying two first round draft picks in signing bonuses that would have to pay. Think about how cash strapped Denver will be after trying to pay four unproven 1st rounders bonuses over two years :shock:

If it works out that way for them, that does indeed make their situation much better. Denver picks up the first round level signing bonus, and Chicago gets the cheap years out of the deal. Considering they should've spent a 1st rounder on a QB last year or this year, that makes the price look much more palatable. '11 is the last year of his contract, so negotiating and extension before the '10 season isn't so horrible, if a little early.

I won't change my opinion however that he won't be looking for an extension NOW, after he sees what a high price he commanded.

Waldo
04-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Last year's #17 pick (roughly what #18 will get this year) signed a 5 year 12.5M contract with 8.9M guaranteed.

Roughly 2.5M/yr, x2 = 5M/yr 18M guaranteed.

Matt Ryan got more than Aaron, I expect that Cutler will get (a lot) more than Ryan.

Ryan got
6yr, 72M with 35M guaranteed.

I expect Cutler will push to be the next 100M QB (probably won't get it, but close), and push for 40M guaranteed. That roughly equates to 5 #18 picks or more.

Welcome to the world of expensive QB's Bears fans. Gawk all you want at overpayed Big Al, that is the world you've entered with your QB. It totally changes the complexion of the teams cap for a very long time.

Guiness
04-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Think about how cash strapped Denver will be after trying to pay four unproven 1st rounders bonuses over two years :shock:

Not to mention that it also looks like Denver could have a fair amount in bonuses already paid to Cutler that have not yet been fully counted against their cap. These will be accelerated.

Plus signing bonuses to the 438 FA's they signed, some of which will undoubtedly be cut.

I don't know what they're up to over there...

Dabaddestbear
04-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Last year's #17 pick (roughly what #18 will get this year) signed a 5 year 12.5M contract with 8.9M guaranteed.

Matt Ryan got more than Aaron, I expect that Cutler will get (a lot) more than Ryan.

Ryan got

I expect Cutler will push to be the next 100M QB (probably won't get it, but close), and push for 40M guaranteed. That roughly equates to 5 #18 picks or more.

Welcome to the world of expensive QB's Bears fans. Gawk all you want at overpayed Big Al, that is the world you've entered with your QB. It totally changes the complexion of the teams cap for a very long time.
And with how it is going now. You dont know what signing bonuses they will demand at #18 years from today. And even if so, what team that needs a QB would rather want 5 #18 unproven picks over a franchise probowl QB? NONE.

Once again please read what I been saying....BEARS LOVE TO PAY TO THEIR OWN PLAYERS BIG MONEY.
Besides, dont you guys have to worry about paying Rodgers on a new contract before the Bears have to worry about Cutler? And we all know TT is more of a budget GM. So I guess both teams will be ready to cross that bridge at the same time...lol.

Gunakor
04-03-2009, 12:53 PM

Ryan got

And with how it is going now. You dont know what signing bonuses they will demand at #18 years from today. And even if so, what team that needs a QB would rather want 5 #18 unproven picks over a franchise probowl QB? NONE.

Once again please read what I been saying....BEARS LOVE TO PAY TO THEIR OWN PLAYERS BIG MONEY.
Besides, dont you guys have to worry about paying Rodgers on a new contract before the Bears have to worry about Cutler? And we all know TT is more of a budget GM. So I guess both teams will be ready to cross that bridge at the same time...lol.

Aaron Rodgers is under contract through the 2013 season.

Waldo
04-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Aaron got a 6yr 65M extension last year, which in the world of "franchise QB's" is cheap. Cutler's pro bowl and "franchise QB" designation by the world, easily makes him a 6yr 80M QB. Rivers is pushing for 100M, if he gets it, I expect Cutler to also.

gex
04-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Wow Da Bears are legit with Pace and Cutler on the team.
Good deal considering that like half of all 1st round picks turn out to be average or worse(bust) players in the NFL. Alot of people put way to much importance on lottery...err .... draft picks anyway. :wink:

NFC north
1.Queens(they deserve it till they lose it)
2.Bears
3. Packers
4.That other team

Fritz
04-03-2009, 02:07 PM
I suspect many pundits will give that lineup for their prediction, Gex. Methinks they be wrong.

We'll see.

BEARMAN
04-03-2009, 03:40 PM

Yea, Yea, YEA ! and " IF " Frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their arses when they landed :roll:

Watch out boys, .... the NFCN belongs to the Chicago BEARS !

Remember waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to what farve did for your team....well Jay Cutler is gonna do that and more for Da BEARS ! :twisted:

At least there is alittle solice, you will not be the bottom feeders, the kitties are alone down there ! :shock:

Look out, ... " The Monsters of the Midway" are BACK

Fritz
04-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Ah, they show up in the spring occasionally when they get excited about being crowned the paper champions. Then real football starts, and they recede into the woodwork.

Go home. Shoo.

BEARMAN
04-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Tis a tad early to come out of hibernation, however, with news like Da BEARS trading for Jay Cutler, deserves and early pilgrimage to cheese land. Just letting ya all know I is still alive an kickin ! Loving life and Loving Da BEARS !

Go BEARS Go

PlantPage55
04-03-2009, 03:54 PM
dont you guys have to worry about paying Rodgers on a new contract before the Bears have to worry about Cutler? And we all know TT is more of a budget GM. So I guess both teams will be ready to cross that bridge at the same time...lol.

Ha ha, what a dork. So much for apparently "knowing our team better than we do" :lol:

Cheesehead Craig
04-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Mel Kiper was on Mike and Mike and gave his thoughts on Cutler. Mel stated that he thought Cutler just doesn't have the intangibles to be an elite QB and that he believes he's overrated and is going to fail in Chicago.

Granted, it's that kooky Mel and his hair helmet but just another opinion from the talking heads.

Lurker64
04-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Mel Kiper was on Mike and Mike and gave his thoughts on Cutler. Mel stated that he thought Cutler just doesn't have the intangibles to be an elite QB and that he believes he's overrated and is going to fail in Chicago.

Well, at first I was going to take issue with the phrase "fail", since certainly the Chicago offense is a work in progress and his receivers were worlds better in Denver than they will be in Chicago (the Broncos having one of the best tandems of receivers, the Broncos having one of the worst). So certainly I don't think anybody expects Cutler to produce offensively in Chicago like he did in Denver, but he'll probably still make them better.

Then I realized that there are few QBs in this league who are less of a diva than Jay Cutler (even Bears fans have to admit that it's a little weird for the guy to throw a tantrum and get himself traded in response to rumors that his team was exploring trading him). So if things don't go his way, it's not entirely out of the question that he just loses it and forces his way out of Chicago.

cpk1994
04-03-2009, 05:22 PM

Granted, it's that kooky Mel and his hair helmet but just another opinion from the talking heads.The only opinion that we should count is Partial's. Partial says he a stud. He is Mr. Know-it-all around here and is probably hounded with offers to be a GM becuase he knows everything. End discussion. :roll:

Dabaddestbear
04-03-2009, 05:36 PM

Well, at first I was going to take issue with the phrase "fail", since certainly the Chicago offense is a work in progress and his receivers were worlds better in Denver than they will be in Chicago (the Broncos having one of the best tandems of receivers, the Broncos having one of the worst). So certainly I don't think anybody expects Cutler to produce offensively in Chicago like he did in Denver, but he'll probably still make them better.

Then I realized that there are few QBs in this league who are less of a diva than Jay Cutler (even Bears fans have to admit that it's a little weird for the guy to throw a tantrum and get himself traded in response to rumors that his team was exploring trading him). So if things don't go his way, it's not entirely out of the question that he just loses it and forces his way out of Chicago.
Like I have said to someone before....Have you ever got pissed off at work or anyone because of how they treated you or a situation? It happens, and it happened once. Lets not try to make him out to be some type of T.O. or something.

And about Mel....when was he ever a good judge on talent? He swore Rex Grossman was the answer for the Bears....He swore on Rick Mirer...and you can go on and on...
He isnt skilled at nor never has been known for evaluating talent. He is just good at knowing who will pick who in the NFL draft in the top 10. Thats it.
So please stop with "another talking head said..." because everyone and their momma was all over his talent, now you have a total of 3 people out 100 that say he might not be so good...lol. Get real.

sheepshead
04-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Wow Da Bears are legit with Pace and Cutler on the team.
Good deal considering that like half of all 1st round picks turn out to be average or worse(bust) players in the NFL. Alot of people put way to much importance on lottery...err .... draft picks anyway. :wink:

NFC north
1.Queens(they deserve it till they lose it)
2.Bears
3. Packers
4.That other team

more like 2/3

Tyrone Bigguns
04-03-2009, 06:18 PM

You can't compare the two deals. Favre was a bench warmer that had proven nothing.

Cutler is an accomplished starting QB..and the bears really didn't pay that much for him.

mngolf19
04-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Definitely makes the Bears better in the short term. I also like the chance they are taking with Pace. If they draft a WR in round 2 they could be good enough to win division. Based on how it turned out last year, they make the playoffs either way with this improvement. Deal is good choice by the Bears, wouldn't have felt the same if Vikes took this chance(too much for MN to pay).

Tyrone Bigguns
04-03-2009, 06:40 PM

Granted, it's that kooky Mel and his hair helmet but just another opinion from the talking heads.

Mel isn't the only one. There is a school of thought regarding players, especially QBS, that you should come from a winning program...or at least win.

Despite all his records at Vandy, he never lead them to a 500 record.

pbmax
04-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Wow Da Bears are legit with Pace and Cutler on the team.Gex, you make your point with Cutler. But Pace, at this point and time, is the definition of stop gap. He was signed only because St. Clair went to the Browns and Tait retired. That's two tackles down, one old guy signed on the O Line.

SnakeLH2006
04-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Wow!!

Was Partial instrumental in this trade or at least a part of it for Denver? :lol:

Sorry....Snake just got back from Las Vegas and just saw this first on here.

<<<Head EXPLODES!!!!!!!

The Shadow
04-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Cutler is a nice addition for the Bears, but he is not going to make the huge difference many Chicago fans believe. Orton was really looked down upon as mediocre, but in reality he was a very smart, workmanlike player who was greatly respected by his fellow players.
Cutler is going to be much more hit & miss, and I look forward to the first time he screws up (and that may well be opening night!) when radio hosts Doug Buffone, Ed O'Bradovich - and Bear Nation begins roasting their new savior.
Also : the lost draft choices are going to be hamstringing the Bears not only for the next two years, but longer, as they feel the effects of less quality roster additions.
Nothing to get overly concerned with in the NFC North; the Packers still look like the most balanced team.

SnakeLH2006
04-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Cutler is a nice addition for the Bears, but he is not going to make the huge difference many Chicago fans believe. Orton was really looked down upon as a mediocre, but in reality he was a very smart, workmanlike player who was greatly respected by his fellow players.
Cutler is going to be much more hit & miss, and I look forward to the first time he screws up (and that may well be opening night!) when radio hosts Doug Buffone, Ed O'Bradovich - and Bear Nation begins roasting their new savior.
Also : the lost draft choices are going to be hamstringing the Bears not only for the next two years, but longer, as they feel the effects of less quality roster additions.
Nothing to get overly concerned with in the NFC North; the Packers still look like the most balanced team.

Agreed Shadow...

Snake thinks Cutler will be an upgrade but at what cost..He has mental issues that only winning will solve. Also, he is kinda Favre-like as Cutler keeps saying he's Favre in many interviews over the past few years..I agree pick or TD..it's gonna happen...The only difference was a young Favre could win games...Cutler has a long ways to go. And oh ya, good point..Those 1st rounders will hamstring them for a few seasons. GOOD!!

Iron Mike
04-04-2009, 01:03 AM
Cutler right now at this moment in time is a better QB than Rodgers. That is fact. Throw out all the dumb worthless statistics and focus on what makes an NFL QB- the ability to WIN. Cutler has that. He's proved it. Rodgers hasn't. That is fact. Keep in mind, Cutler played on a team with a D almost as bad as ours. He also played on a team with continous injuries at RB.

You're forgetting to "keep in mind" that Cutler also got to play four games a year against Oakland and Kansas City. Not exactly world-beaters there, wouldn't you agree?? :wink:

Dabaddestbear
04-04-2009, 03:03 AM
Wow Da Bears are legit with Pace and Cutler on the team.Gex, you make your point with Cutler. But Pace, at this point and time, is the definition of stop gap. He was signed only because St. Clair went to the Browns and Tait retired. That's two tackles down, one old guy signed on the O Line.
The Bears have signed 3 new O-linemen this
year.
And here is an article laying out how the new Bears line will look this year.

April 3, 2009
BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com
Talk about a huge day for the Bears' offense: A little more than an hour after trading for Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler on Thursday, the Bears agreed to terms with Orlando Pace, a seven-time Pro Bowl left tackle, in a move that not only reshapes the line, but also likely changes general manager Jerry Angelo's draft plans.

If Pace can be as effective as Ruben Brown was when Brown re-energized his career with a move to the Bears, the offensive line just improved considerably.

Pace will sign a three-year contract and will start at left tackle, meaning 2008 first-round pick Chris Williams will have to stave off recently signed veteran Kevin Shaffer to claim a starting job at right tackle.

Pace, 33, missed 25 games over the last three seasons but started 14 last year for the St. Louis Rams and cleared a physical when he visited Halas Hall on Monday. Agent Kennard McGuire praised the visit, and it led to quick negotiations.

''He had a tremendous relationship with [coach Lovie Smith],'' McGuire said. ''That was an element.''

The Bears won out over the Baltimore Ravens, who initially pursued Pace when he was cut by the Rams last month and who had an offer on the table for more money. Pace apparently wanted to remain in the Midwest and felt comfortable with his relationship with Smith, the Rams' defensive coordinator for three seasons.

Pace is considered a better pass blocker than run blocker, and that will allow the Bears to get a better run blocker in Williams or Shaffer on the right side. The depth chart looks much different than it did when minicamp ended two weeks ago. Free-agent pickup Frank Omiyale, originally signed to play left guard, was working at right tackle with Williams on the left side. No backups were in place.

Now Omiyale can move back to left guard, where he will compete with Josh Beekman. Shaffer, who has 86 career starts, including time at left tackle with Atlanta and Cleveland, could be a well-paid swing tackle with a three-year, $8million contract.

Moving Williams to right tackle doesn't signal long-term plans to keep him there. Jonathan Ogden, an 11-time Pro Bowl left tackle, played right tackle in his first season with the Ravens. Jordan Gross was a right tackle in Carolina before last season, and he landed a deal with more than $30 million guaranteed from the Panthers. John Tait played both sides for the Bears and Kansas City Chiefs.

Pace will be able to take part in the voluntary offseason program, which begins Monday. Now the Bears must determine how his addition affects a draft that is short on picks after the Cutler deal.

The Bears cannot count on Pace for more than a year or two. That's the approach they took with Brown when they signed him to play left guard after eight Pro Bowl seasons in Buffalo. They got three solid seasons out of him, and he made one last trip to the Pro Bowl after the 2006 season.

Bears coaches and scouts have been working out a slew of offensive linemen and receivers in recent weeks, with more scheduled. Multiple sources say those are the positions the team is focusing on, and adding Pace doesn't eliminate the need for a young tackle, though he does give Angelo some flexibility that didn't exist previously.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1509401,CST-SPT-pace03.article

SnakeLH2006
04-04-2009, 03:09 AM
The Bears have signed 3 new O-linemen this
year.
And here is an article laying out how the new Bears line will look this year.

April 3, 2009
BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com
Talk about a huge day for the Bears' offense: A little more than an hour after trading for Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler on Thursday, the Bears agreed to terms with Orlando Pace, a seven-time Pro Bowl left tackle, in a move that not only reshapes the line, but also likely changes general manager Jerry Angelo's draft plans.

If Pace can be as effective as Ruben Brown was when Brown re-energized his career with a move to the Bears, the offensive line just improved considerably.

Pace will sign a three-year contract and will start at left tackle, meaning 2008 first-round pick Chris Williams will have to stave off recently signed veteran Kevin Shaffer to claim a starting job at right tackle.

Pace, 33, missed 25 games over the last three seasons but started 14 last year for the St. Louis Rams and cleared a physical when he visited Halas Hall on Monday. Agent Kennard McGuire praised the visit, and it led to quick negotiations.

''He had a tremendous relationship with [coach Lovie Smith],'' McGuire said. ''That was an element.''

The Bears won out over the Baltimore Ravens, who initially pursued Pace when he was cut by the Rams last month and who had an offer on the table for more money. Pace apparently wanted to remain in the Midwest and felt comfortable with his relationship with Smith, the Rams' defensive coordinator for three seasons.

Pace is considered a better pass blocker than run blocker, and that will allow the Bears to get a better run blocker in Williams or Shaffer on the right side. The depth chart looks much different than it did when minicamp ended two weeks ago. Free-agent pickup Frank Omiyale, originally signed to play left guard, was working at right tackle with Williams on the left side. No backups were in place.

Now Omiyale can move back to left guard, where he will compete with Josh Beekman. Shaffer, who has 86 career starts, including time at left tackle with Atlanta and Cleveland, could be a well-paid swing tackle with a three-year, $8million contract.

Moving Williams to right tackle doesn't signal long-term plans to keep him there. Jonathan Ogden, an 11-time Pro Bowl left tackle, played right tackle in his first season with the Ravens. Jordan Gross was a right tackle in Carolina before last season, and he landed a deal with more than $30 million guaranteed from the Panthers. John Tait played both sides for the Bears and Kansas City Chiefs.

Pace will be able to take part in the voluntary offseason program, which begins Monday. Now the Bears must determine how his addition affects a draft that is short on picks after the Cutler deal.

The Bears cannot count on Pace for more than a year or two. That's the approach they took with Brown when they signed him to play left guard after eight Pro Bowl seasons in Buffalo. They got three solid seasons out of him, and he made one last trip to the Pro Bowl after the 2006 season.

Bears coaches and scouts have been working out a slew of offensive linemen and receivers in recent weeks, with more scheduled. Multiple sources say those are the positions the team is focusing on, and adding Pace doesn't eliminate the need for a young tackle, though he does give Angelo some flexibility that didn't exist previously.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1509401,CST-SPT-pace03.article

Snake is hardly quivering.. The Bears really really still suck.

Dabaddestbear
04-04-2009, 03:11 AM
Cutler is a nice addition for the Bears, but he is not going to make the huge difference many Chicago fans believe. Orton was really looked down upon as a mediocre, but in reality he was a very smart, workmanlike player who was greatly respected by his fellow players.

Agreed Shadow...

Snake thinks Cutler will be an upgrade but at what cost..He has mental issues that only winning will solve. Also, he is kinda Favre-like as Cutler keeps saying he's Favre in many interviews over the past few years..I agree pick or TD..it's gonna happen...The only difference was a young Favre could win games...Cutler has a long ways to go. And oh ya, good point..Those 1st rounders will hamstring them for a few seasons. GOOD!!
No, a young Favre had a very good defense to back him up. The guy is 25! He have done what he did on a team that ranked in the bottom of the league in almost every defensive category. Brett was never in that position in his heyday.

Dabaddestbear
04-04-2009, 03:16 AM
Cutler is a nice addition for the Bears, but he is not going to make the huge difference many Chicago fans believe. Orton was really looked down upon as mediocre, but in reality he was a very smart, workmanlike player who was greatly respected by his fellow players.
The best roster additions for the Bears over the past several years have come from 2nd round picks and later. And you speak as if they mortgaged their future in the trade. They gave up 3 picks over two years and got 1 back. They still have 8 picks in this years draft alone!!
Better yet, tell me how have the first round picks over the past years been for the Bears, and after that tell me how any of them equal to the value of a franchise QB? :roll:

SnakeLH2006
04-04-2009, 03:16 AM

Agreed Shadow...

No, a young Favre had a very good defense to back him up. The guy is 25! He have done what he did on a team that ranked in the bottom of the league in almost every defensive category. Brett was never in that position in his heyday.

HAHAHA..Snake throws this BS shit sideways, craps on it, and doesn't look back..

Not only is Cutler not a young Favre as far as physical ability stats/game winning ways..his D was not the Packer Super Bowl shit in his first 2 seasons it took 4 to 5 years to get there....The Bear D is far better now. WTF are you talking about. IF CUTLER CAN'T DO IT NOW...he NEVER WILL...and not only that, he's a TO media cancer that Denver couldn't WAIT TO GET RID OF. Good luck yo with that mess.

Dabaddestbear
04-04-2009, 03:24 AM

Agreed Shadow...

HAHAHA..Snake throws this shit sideways..Not only is Cutler not a young Favre as far as ability/game winning ways..his D was not the Packer Super Bowl shit in his first 2 seasons....The Bear D is far better now. WTF are you talking about. IF CUTLER CAN'T DO IT NOW...he NEVER WILL...and not only that, he's a TO media cancer that Denver couldn't WAIT TO GET RID OF. Good luck yo with that mess.
Man are you even reading the post before responding?
It was suggested in comparison to Cutler not winning as Brett did in his first 3 years...SO I REPLIED..No, a young Favre had a very good defense to back him up. Now of course he wasnt referring to him being on the Bears winning yet, cuz he haven't taken a snap for the Bears yet! Man I like it better when the sane more logical Packer fans are woke and debating me. :roll:

And who cares if he is a media cancer, his teammates loved him! This was the first time you ever even heard of him getting upset. Please tell me how this compares to T.O. over all his years? ...better yet, please dont. I dont think I can waste more brain cells with this one tonight. Time will tell buddy.

SnakeLH2006
04-04-2009, 03:29 AM

Agreed Shadow...

HAHAHA..Snake throws this shit sideways..Not only is Cutler not a young Favre as far as ability/game winning ways..his D was not the Packer Super Bowl shit in his first 2 seasons....The Bear D is far better now. WTF are you talking about. IF CUTLER CAN'T DO IT NOW...he NEVER WILL...and not only that, he's a TO media cancer that Denver couldn't WAIT TO GET RID OF. Good luck yo with that mess.
Man are you even reading the post before responding?
It was suggested in comparison to Cutler not winning as Brett did in his first 3 years...SO I REPLIED..No, a young Favre had a very good defense to back him up. Now of course he wasnt referring to him being on the Bears winning yet, cuz he haven't taken a snap for the Bears yet! Man I like it better when the sane more logical Packer fans are woke and debating me. :roll:

And who cares if he is a media cancer, his teammates loved him! This was the first time you ever even heard of him getting upset. Please tell me how this compares to T.O. over all his years? ...better yet, please dont. I dont think I can waste more brain cells with the 10 year olds tonight. Go to bed please before mommy catches you on her PC.

Snake could be drunk on a coke binge with hookers before he could reply to you. You've never said shit that resembles logic on ANY post on PR.

Who cares if he's a media cancer? Well I do. I'd take ARod before that showboating SOB Cutler anyday...And if you think he's your answer, good luck. I'm happy though, that you think he's the answer, as I and many many have many good things to say to you player. Cutler is a downfall for your team....just wait till you have no good picks in the next few years and Cutler is crying cuz you have no weapons. Good luck with that.

cpk1994
04-04-2009, 07:28 AM
Snake could be drunk on a coke binge with hookers before he could reply to you. You've never said shit that resembles logic on ANY post on PR.

He is a Bear troll. Bear trolls don't know the meaning of the word logic.

ThunderDan
04-04-2009, 08:05 AM
The best roster additions for the Bears over the past several years have come from 2nd round picks and later. And you speak as if they mortgaged their future in the trade. They gave up 3 picks over two years and got 1 back. They still have 8 picks in this years draft alone!!
Better yet, tell me how have the first round picks over the past years been for the Bears, and after that tell me how any of them equal to the value of a franchise QB? :roll:

If that really is the case; I suggest the Bears "give" the Packers their 1st round pick every year because the Bears suck at it. Not one GM in the league would rather have an extra 5th round pick for a 1st. This years draft is very deep and has the potential for a very good top 50+ picks. I'm glad the Bears will only have one pick in that window.

Would you give up Greg Olsen, Tommie Harris and Brian Urlacher?

How about Willie Gault, the fridge, Jim McMahon or Walter Payton from the past?

Yeah, those first rounders suck!!!

sheepshead
04-04-2009, 08:15 AM
This guys a tool part 12:

Mike Mulligan of the Chicago Sun Times reports the Browns might have won the sweepstakes for Jay Cutler had his agent, Bus Cook, not also represented Brett Favre. The longtime Packers star didn't mesh last year with Jets coach Eric Mangini, who was fired and landed in Cleveland. Mangini reportedly was willing to give up Brady Quinn in a deal for Cutler. Quinn, who played for former Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis at Notre Dame, might have been a good fit in McDaniels' system. But Cook made it clear when talks began that Cutler wanted no part of Mangini, and fears that he wouldn't report to the Browns shut down that deal.

Looking more like Jeff George every day.

Iron Mike
04-04-2009, 10:15 AM
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/ChargerBill21/emo_jay_cutler.jpg

Iron Mike
04-04-2009, 10:21 AM

Yous Wackers wont have a chance this yeer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/gummi.jpg

BEAR DOWN PISS ANDMOLD CLOWNS!!!!!!one!!!!

The Shadow
04-04-2009, 11:02 AM
It will be amusing to watch the realization among the Bear Faithful unfold that the addition of Cutler (and the hamstringing of the next 2 drafts) does not miraculously vault the Bears into some kind of prominence.
Bear fans are always worthy of a chuckle.

sheepshead
04-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Theyre thinking they have MJ , Sosa and Gale Sayers in pads down here.

Guiness
04-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Man, I'm gonna love taking Packer fans money this year. Place the bets when you are ready ladies and gents...lol.

Careful what you wish for! Looking at recent history, I don't know if you want your squad to be beating the Packers this year :shock:

When the Pack went 13-3, who were the losses to? 2 to the Bears.
The last time the Bears went 13-3 (1999) who tagged them twice? Yup, Packers!

I know Lovie made his famous quote on Letterman about nothing mattering about beating the Pack, but at what cost?

cpk1994
04-04-2009, 02:25 PM

Yous Packers wont have a chance this yeer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/gummi.jpg

BEAR DOWN PISS ANDMOLD CLOWNS!!!!!!one!!!!So thats what your mom's basement looks like. I see you have gone with a 1980's motif. YOu still get porn on laserdisc too?

Iron Mike
04-04-2009, 06:27 PM
It will be amusing to watch the realization among the Bear Faithful unfold that the addition of Cutler (and the hamstringing of the next 2 drafts) does not miraculously vault the Bears into some kind of prominence.
Bear fans are always worthy of a chuckle.

Cutler: vs. Oakland/Kansas City 5-3
Orton: vs. Oakland/Kansas City 0-0

Cutler: vs. Detroit 0-1
Orton: vs. Detroit 4-0

Cutler: vs. playoff teams 3-9
Orton: vs. playoff teams 6-6

Cutler: post season 0-0
Orton: post season 0-1

Cutler: vs teams with a .500 or better winning percentage 9-12
Orton: vs teams with a .500 or better winning percentage 9-11

Cutler: AFC West 6-7
Orton: AFC West 0-0

Cutler: NFC North 1-3
Orton: NFC North 9-5

Cutler: vs AFC 12-14
Orton: vs. AFC 3-4

Cutler: vs. NFC 5-6
Orton: vs. NFC 18-8

I fail to see any sort of amazing upgrade. :roll:

Dabaddestbear
04-04-2009, 08:16 PM

If that really is the case; I suggest the Bears "give" the Packers their 1st round pick every year because the Bears suck at it. Not one GM in the league would rather have an extra 5th round pick for a 1st. This years draft is very deep and has the potential for a very good top 50+ picks. I'm glad the Bears will only have one pick in that window.

Hey Kool-Aid man slow down and read...
I SAID that any GM would give up those first round picks for a franchise ProBowl QB. Now you can try and twist my words, but the quote is there.

And your quote will be the one I will use to point out how many 1st rounders flop in the upcoming years from this draft. And most importantly any one the Packers pick in the 1st.

Dabaddestbear
04-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Man, I'm gonna love taking Packer fans money this year. Place the bets when you are ready ladies and gents...lol.

Careful what you wish for! Looking at recent history, I don't know if you want your squad to be beating the Packers this year :shock:

When the Pack went 13-3, who were the losses to? 2 to the Bears.
The last time the Bears went 13-3 (1999) who tagged them twice? Yup, Packers!

I know Lovie made his famous quote on Letterman about nothing mattering about beating the Pack, but at what cost?
You know what...you made a good point there.....Hey Viking and Kitty Fans where are ya?!!!

ThunderDan
04-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Wow what insightful posts.

ThunderDan
04-04-2009, 08:34 PM

I SAID that any GM would give up those first round picks for a franchise ProBowl QB. Now you can try and twist my words, but the quote is there.

And your quote will be the one I will use to point out how many 1st rounders flop in the upcoming years from this draft. And most importantly any one the Packers pick in the 1st.

Kool-Aid that's funny.... for a 4th grader.

How about we use real stats and not something you believe in your head which isn't true.

You state the Bears have done much better with picks from the 2nd round on. I'm sure you would be happy to give up Urlacher than.

In the last 5 years the Bears have had 42 draft picks of which 4 of them were in the first round. That's less than 10% of the Bears total picks.

The Bears picked Chris Williams, who you go on about how he will be a stud, Greg Olsen, Cedrick Benson and Tommie Harris. I'd say the Bears are batting 75%. That is much higher than any other round they have picked in.

Dabaddestbear
04-04-2009, 08:41 PM

How about we use real stats and not something you believe in your head which isn't true.

You state the Bears have done much better with picks from the 2nd round on. I'm sure you would be happy to give up Urlacher than.

In the last 5 years the Bears have had 42 draft picks of which 4 of them were in the first round. That's less than 10% of the Bears total picks.

The Bears picked Chris Williams, who you go on about how he will be a stud, Greg Olsen, Cedrick Benson and Tommie Harris. I'd say the Bears are batting 75%. That is much higher than any other round they have picked in.
Why only do a 5 year span then buddy?
The fact remains that there is no QB in this Draft or next that will make an immediate impact like Cutler. And for a team that needed a QB like forever EVERYONE except Packer fans and some disgruntled Bronco fans says it was a VERY good deal for the Bears. You looking for a sour spot in a sweet apple pie...not possible. Lets just see how you guys draft picks that you like to stockpile each year works out for ya.

ThunderDan
04-04-2009, 08:49 PM

The fact remains that there is no QB in this Draft or next that will make an immediate impact like Cutler. And for a team that needed a QB like forever EVERYONE except Packer fans and some disgruntled Bronco fans says it was a VERY good deal for the Bears. You looking for a sour spot in a sweet apple pie...not possible. Lets just see how you guys draft picks that you like to stockpile each year works out for ya.

I stopped there because 2/3 of the Bears roster are players with 5 or less years of experience.

Dabaddestbear
04-05-2009, 03:48 PM

I stopped there because 2/3 of the Bears roster are players with 5 or less years of experience.
That cant be true the way most on here is always screaming about how old the Bears team is...lol.
But the reason why that could be so is because most of our draft picks have not been sticking to the team lately. Hence, the good reason to trade a few picks away for a very young probowl QB. Less risk at unproven talent, in return for immediate reward from very proven talent. Fair exchange is no Robbery.

ThunderDan
04-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Maybe the reason is because the average NFL career is a little over 3 seasons per the NFLPA website.

Dabaddestbear
04-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Maybe the reason is because the average NFL career is a little over 3 seasons per the NFLPA website.
Which makes your reasoning for draft picks that may never make it past 3 years versus a pro bowl Qb that has well established himself as a franchise a QB in in over 3 years just that much more illogical.

Patler
04-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Which makes your reasoning for draft picks that may never make it past 3 years versus a pro bowl Qb that has well established himself as a franchise a QB in in over 3 years just that much more illogical.

Nah. Cutler's 3 years are up. I suspect the Bears will cut him in camp this year! :lol:

Dabaddestbear
04-05-2009, 06:06 PM

Nah. Cutler's 3 years are up. I suspect the Bears will cut him in camp this year! :lol:
Stop raining on my parade....I hate you Patler!... :wink:

3irty1
04-05-2009, 06:19 PM
This deal really isn't a steal for anybody. The Bears had to pay the price for missing on so many QBs and had to give up a fortune to get someone respectable. The Broncos will know what they got themselves into when Kyle Orton takes the field. This trade represents plan C for both teams. I'm glad plan A is working out for the Pack.

Dabaddestbear
04-05-2009, 06:22 PM
This deal really isn't a steal for anybody. The Bears had to pay the price for missing on so many QBs and had to give up a fortune to get someone respectable. The Broncos will know what they got themselves into when Kyle Orton takes the field. This trade represents plan C for both teams. I'm glad plan A is working out for the Pack.
What was you guys plan A? I thought it would be to get your defense together?

3irty1
04-05-2009, 06:39 PM
What was you guys plan A? I thought it would be to get your defense together?

Plan A was to draft and groom a franchise QB. You know like the Bears wanted to do with Rex.

Looks like both teams need a plan to assemble and/or keep their defense together. Neither one was what they used to be.

ThunderDan
04-05-2009, 07:59 PM

A QB with a losing career NFL record is now a franchise QB?

The real issue is one tackle and any players career or season could be over. That's a steep price to pay if he gets Tom Brady(ed) in the first game.

The Bears improved at QB with this pickup but at what real cost? I personally think they overpaid by one 1st round draft pick.

Dabaddestbear
04-06-2009, 02:00 PM

The real issue is one tackle and any players career or season could be over. That's a steep price to pay if he gets Tom Brady(ed) in the first game.

The Bears improved at QB with this pickup but at what real cost? I personally think they overpaid by one 1st round draft pick.
I remember a RB being traded back in the day for two first rounders and two seconds, that still went on to play very well. If someone can do that for a RB, it should be ok, for a QB that can get the job done on offense. And in regards to the win-loss record. Sorry, he isnt a QB that plays on defense, and make tremendous plays there. He kicked the ass out of things on the offense though. I mean if he were playing defense like that too, then I wouldn't have minded if the Bears gave up double the picks for the guy. It would have been like having a the reincarnation of Jim Thorpe!!! :wink:

SnakeLH2006
04-07-2009, 12:32 AM

I remember a RB being traded back in the day for two first rounders and two seconds, that still went on to play very well. If someone can do that for a RB, it should be ok, for a QB that can get the job done on offense. And in regards to the win-loss record. Sorry, he isnt a QB that plays on defense, and make tremendous plays there. He kicked the ass out of things on the offense though. I mean if he were playing defense like that too, then I wouldn't have minded if the Bears gave up double the picks for the guy. It would have been like having a the reincarnation of Jim Thorpe!!! :wink:

Speaking of reincarnations....Well, Snake's been hella entertained by this thread and I gotta say, it was hard to find fathom, but you may, just may be just slightly more dillusional AND angry than this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcR7hr4LLQg

Partial
04-07-2009, 12:42 AM

So the Pack don't have a franchise QB? And they overpaid for Rodgers by drafting him with a first round pick.

Dude, be realistic here. Cutler came at a pretty good price all things considered. Cutler cost slightly less than Jared Allen, and plays a more impactful position. Not a bad deal by any means imo.

Waldo
04-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Allen cost:
#17 (950)
#73 (225)
#82 (180)

Aggregate - 1355, or #9 overall

Cutler and #140 (40) cost:
#18 (900)
2010 first (500 (1000 pts discounted 50% for the year wait))
#84 (170)
Kyle Orton

Aggregate - 1530, or #7 overall and Kyle Orton, a starting QB

BEARMAN
04-07-2009, 02:33 AM

Wake up an smell the rotted cheese ! Cutler is the best QB Da BEARS have had in 20 years. He has a cannon for an arm, is a gunslinger, (much like a soon forgotton farve) and is coming off a Pro Bowl year. With the off season verteran players and a few draft picks, Lovie going hands on, new "D"line coach, you packer fans have little to look forward to, but being swept by Da BEARS ! Da BEARS get off the bus running the ball, period. Now, you have to cover or get burnt deep ! We are no longer one dimentional, play action and the deep threat are alive and well in the windy city ! Stack the box and get burnt deep, cover and we run it up ur gut ! I LUV it ! 8-)

MJZiggy
04-07-2009, 05:58 AM
Cutler is the best QB Da BEARS have had in 20 years.

Considering the quarterbacks the Bears have had in the last 20 years, that's not saying much...

Fritz
04-07-2009, 06:35 AM
Allen cost:
#17 (950)
#73 (225)
#82 (180)

Aggregate - 1355, or #9 overall

Cutler and #140 (40) cost:
#18 (900)
2010 first (500 (1000 pts discounted 50% for the year wait))
#84 (170)
Kyle Orton

Aggregate - 1530, or #7 overall and Kyle Orton, a starting QB

Given teh trade value chart, I'm not sure I see all that much difference. I suppose it depends upon what you think of Kyle Orton.

However, I would argue that devaluing next year's pick by 50% is too much. Maybe that's standard, I don't know, but when teams trade a pick for one from next year, that next year's pick is a round earlier most of the time. So if Thompson traded this year's fifth on draft day, he'd get next year's fourth.

And a year from now, when Denver is sitting on two first round picks, that 50% devaluation will certainly seem way too much. I don't think a one year wait devalues a pick quite that much.

sheepshead
04-07-2009, 07:23 AM
The trade chart has been thrown out years ago.

ThunderDan
04-07-2009, 08:09 AM

So the Pack don't have a franchise QB? And they overpaid for Rodgers by drafting him with a first round pick.

Dude, be realistic here. Cutler came at a pretty good price all things considered. Cutler cost slightly less than Jared Allen, and plays a more impactful position. Not a bad deal by any means imo.

Are you really that pathetic? I said the Bears overpaid by one 1st round draft pick meaning I would never use two first round draft picks to get one QB. No, we didn't overpay for AR. You see, we got one QB with one first round draft pick.
I have never said AR was a franchise QB. I have stated over and over that I am very optimistic that AR could be a franchise QB. He put up stellar numbers in 2008 and it makes me feel good about our QB situation. There have been too many one year wonders to make me say AR is the next coming of Favre.