PDA

View Full Version : Bears add Pace

sheepshead
04-02-2009, 05:53 PM
just got tweetered.

Bossman641
04-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Bear fans are delirious right now, so excited about adding 2 Pro Bowl players. I'm not sure they know Pace is washed up, but they'll find out soon enough.

Dabaddestbear
04-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Bear fans are delirious right now, so excited about adding 2 Pro Bowl players. I'm not sure they know Pace is washed up, but they'll find out soon enough.
Uh, he was injured last year, but not washed up. He was cut because of cap reasons. and he is still a major upgrade to the turnstile we had at LT last year, and our rookie tackle last year, will be on the right side with the FA signing from cleveland(who is very solid as a RT) will be the swing tackle. The most two important parts of the offense just got a tremendous upgrade in one big day for the Bears.

RashanGary
04-02-2009, 07:23 PM
There was always a convenient excuse in Minny, Chicago and Detroit that the Packers had a HOF QB, therefor anything they did had an excuse for losing.

With Favre gone and Rodgers stepping right in, I think they took a collective, oh shit, gulp. If Rodgers comes right in and leads the Packers to years of NFCN dominance after they were already dominated for 15 years, they will look like smaller punks than they already look. Both teams are determined to keep their pride in tact, but I have a great feeling about this Ted Thompson led Packer organization. I expect another decade of dominance over our NFCN rivals. The desperation to not get punked will eventually bury both teams.

HarveyWallbangers
04-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Pace has been washed up for a few years now. Injuries have taken their toll and he'll be 34 this year. Dude can't stay healthy anymore either. He played a "hurt" 14 games last year and only played 8 games combined the two years prior.

Cutler will help the Bears. I don't think Pace will help much. I just don't like the Bears talent much. That defense is aging and it isn't close to what it was a few years ago. Their WRs may be the worst in the league. Their DEs are old. Their OL isn't very good. They don't have the depth at CB that they had in years past either.

I'm happy that Cutler didn't go to the Vikings because that's a team that is in the best position to win now.

rbaloha1
04-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Another good pick-up.

Dabaddestbear
04-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Pace has been washed up for a few years now. Injuries have taken their toll and he'll be 34 this year. Dude can't stay healthy anymore either. He played a "hurt" 14 games last year and only played 8 games combined the two years prior.

Cutler will help the Bears. I don't think Pace will help much. I just don't like the Bears talent much. That defense is aging and it isn't close to what it was a few years ago. Their WRs may be the worst in the league. Their DEs are old. Their OL isn't very good. They don't have the depth at CB that they had in years past either.

I'm happy that Cutler didn't go to the Vikings because that's a team that is in the best position to win now.
When some statements are made on here it makes it clear that some of you guys ONLY watch Packer games.

Pace was injured, but not washed up, when he is healthy he is still better than average. And even if he is injured we have the 2nd year LT that will step in. The guy was the best pass protecting LT in college, he had a back injury in the first game that kept him out, but now he is ready to go. They still signed a RT from cleveland that is a mauler and this combination of things makes the O-line automatically better. And for you to say their O-line is not very good is odd, since they were much better than the Packer line all year with lesser names all across the name outside of Kreutz.

The depth at CB is good, the FS is the position I worry about. The TE is the the best in the NFC North, the RB is the second best in the NFC North, and The WR's got open deep many times and Orton would just always overthrow them.

If you would have watched other teams play other than the stats, you would know this. You guys have the best WR duo in the NFC north last year and how that work for ya? ---3rd place. :roll:

HarveyWallbangers
04-02-2009, 08:28 PM
34 years old this year... coming off three injury plagued years in a row.

Bretsky
04-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Most teams are very healthy cap wise and if they didn't spend too much IMO this was a good risk. Dude can still play when he is healthy. Give the Bears credit today

Noodle
04-03-2009, 12:20 AM
I agree, Bretsky. Given their youth at T, I think this was a terrific move.

You gotta think this gets their D juiced a little bit too, knowing that they now have the pieces to put some points on the board and a commitment from management to make the team better.

I'm really hoping they don't get a good WR in the draft.

Dang.

Bretsky
04-03-2009, 12:21 AM
I agree, Bretsky. Given their youth at T, I think this was a terrific move.

You gotta think this gets their D juiced a little bit too, knowing that they now have the pieces to put some points on the board and a commitment from management to make the team better.

I'm really hoping they don't get a good WR in the draft.

Dang.

There should be a good WR there in round two for them; this makes it a three legged race instead of two IMO

Partial
04-03-2009, 01:02 AM
Why was everyone counting the Bears out for this year when they were the superior team last year?

I don't get it. They're better defensively and on special teams. Offensively, they have a very good back and now a dynamo at QB. They'll be just fine. With a healthy Tommie Harris they don't need to score 30 points a game to win.

Bretsky
04-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Why was everyone counting the Bears out for this year when they were the superior team last year?

I don't get it. They're better defensively and on special teams. Offensively, they have a very good back and now a dynamo at QB. They'll be just fine. With a healthy Tommie Harris they don't need to score 30 points a game to win.

they weren't as good as their record last year IMO

cpk1994
04-03-2009, 07:32 AM

I don't get it. They're better defensively and on special teams. Offensively, they have a very good back and now a dynamo at QB. They'll be just fine. With a healthy Tommie Harris they don't need to score 30 points a game to win.They were so superior that the Packers whipped them 37-3 and were one bloacked FG from sweeping them. Quit making up bullshit.

Zool
04-03-2009, 08:45 AM
The WR's got open deep many times and Orton would just always overthrow them.

Wait which is it? Was Orton winning games for them all season or overthrowing receivers? I guess it depends on which argument you're trying to make at the time.

run pMc
04-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Pace is a good stopgap pickup. CHI had to upgrade the OL for Cutler...he's not as thick-skinned as people thought and who knows how he'd take to getting planted in the turf with a turnstile at LT. Clearly CHI is grooming Williams to be the future LT but they want to have him start at RT and learn from Pace. If he'd signed with GB people would be talking him up. Being a GB fan, I can't say I'm happy for the Bears, but it's a good short term move.

On that note, I think the Cutler trade hurts CHI long-term. They gave up 3 draft picks and Orton, they still have ?'s at WR (unless Cutler can make chicken salad out of you-know-what), their defense is aging, and with his age and injuries Pace probably isn't going to be there in 2 years. These are win-now moves for Angelo and Lovie to keep their jobs and placate Urlacher, Tommie, and Briggs.

Think about this:
In 3 years, Cutler will have to be resigned, Williams might pan out at LT, and they won't have the benefit of a few high draft choices to develop and fill the areas of need or replace aging veterans.

In 3 years, MIN might still be looking for a QB, AP will have 800+ carries of mileage, their OL and DL will have aged considerably, and Ryan Longwell will be bussing tables at Appleby's.

In that time GB will still have Rodgers under contract, plus (knowing TT) a bunch of young talent coming up through the depth chart. I like that scenario best.

Dabaddestbear
04-03-2009, 09:22 AM
The WR's got open deep many times and Orton would just always overthrow them.

Wait which is it? Was Orton winning games for them all season or overthrowing receivers? I guess it depends on which argument you're trying to make at the time.
Uh, you can be winning games and still under and over throwing WR's. You are not that simple in the mind to think otherwise. Orton was a serviceable QB. But not a very good one. So show me where I am contradicting anything here. :roll:

Patler
04-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Pace was injured, but not washed up, when he is healthy he is still better than average.

How can you tell? If his performance last year was because he was injured, and he missed most of 2006 and 2007 due to injuries, the last time he played healthy was in 2005, when he was 30 years old.

I don't imagine they payed much for him, and he certainly won't hurt. But if he is 34 and hasn't been healthy since 2005, there is no reason to expect he will stay healthy in 2009.

I don't look at this signing as being a big deal one way or the other.

Dabaddestbear
04-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Pace is a good stopgap pickup. CHI had to upgrade the OL for Cutler...he's not as thick-skinned as people thought and who knows how he'd take to getting planted in the turf with a turnstile at LT. Clearly CHI is grooming Williams to be the future LT but they want to have him start at RT and learn from Pace. If he'd signed with GB people would be talking him up. Being a GB fan, I can't say I'm happy for the Bears, but it's a good short term move.
He is more thick skinned than any other QB in the division. He played through a concussion for two games with no complaints. And lets see how thick skinned you are if your boss keeps lying to you in your face.

On that note, I think the Cutler trade hurts CHI long-term. They gave up 3 draft picks and Orton, they still have ?'s at WR (unless Cutler can make chicken salad out of you-know-what), their defense is aging, and with his age and injuries Pace probably isn't going to be there in 2 years. These are win-now moves for Angelo and Lovie to keep their jobs and placate Urlacher, Tommie, and Briggs.
Please tell me how good has Chicago drafting a QB been going for them?
I have one better than that, tell me how good has any of their 1st round draft picks been?
There is no guarantee a draft pick will produce on a pro bowl level no matter how high they are drafted. They still have more than enough picks to solidify positions. JA is much better drafting outside of the 1st round. they still have a 2nd, another 3rd, 4th, two 5ths, 6th, and two 7ths

Think about this:
In 3 years, Cutler will have to be resigned, Williams might pan out at LT, and they won't have the benefit of a few high draft choices to develop and fill the areas of need or replace aging veterans.
By the end of his SECOND year they will have their 1st rounder back. They still have many other draft picks and FA...lets not think that you ONLY build through the draft, unless you are TT.

In 3 years, MIN might still be looking for a QB, AP will have 800+ carries of mileage, their OL and DL will have aged considerably, and Ryan Longwell will be bussing tables at Appleby's.

That may be true, but once again you cannot predict who may become available each year to teams via draft or FA.

In that time GB will still have Rodgers under contract, plus (knowing TT) a bunch of young talent coming up through the depth chart. I like that scenario best.
How do you know who will re-sign each year, Jennings looks to be ready to test the market, and who knows what else.
Once again you cannot predict the market each year, I mean who else would have thought a young pro bowl QB would be free to trade this year, and the Bears of all people went and got him.
All that being said we just cant predict a damn thing anymore.

Dabaddestbear
04-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Pace was injured, but not washed up, when he is healthy he is still better than average.

How can you tell? If his performance last year was because he was injured, and he missed most of 2006 and 2007 due to injuries, the last time he played healthy was in 2005, when he was 30 years old.

I don't imagine they payed much for him, and he certainly won't hurt. But if he is 34 and hasn't been healthy since 2005, there is no reason to expect he will stay healthy in 2009.

And how can you tell he is washed up?
Keep in mind, this off season is still not over with yet. Many players will be plugged in on the Bears before the season starts.

Patler
04-03-2009, 09:54 AM

Keep in mind, this off season is still not over with yet. Many players will be plugged in on the Bears before the season starts.

I never said he is washed up. All I said is that at 34 years of age, with 3 consecutive years of injuries, it is reasonable to expect he will be faced with health concerns in 2009. At 34 years of age, I don't expect any O-lineman to perform as well as he did in his 20's or early 30's.

Do I tink the Bears signed a potential HOF LT? In name, yes. In the way I expect he will perform in 2009? I doubt it.

Again, nothing wrong with having signed him, but I doubt it will be a big deal in their performance one way or another.

Dabaddestbear
04-03-2009, 10:14 AM

I never said he is washed up. All I said is that at 34 years of age, with 3 consecutive years of injuries, it is reasonable to expect he will be faced with health concerns in 2009. At 34 years of age, I don't expect any O-lineman to perform as well as he did in his 20's or early 30's.

Do I tink the Bears signed a potential HOF LT? In name, yes. In the way I expect he will perform in 2009? I doubt it.

Again, nothing wrong with having signed him, but I doubt it will be a big deal in their performance one way or another.
I guess I can agree with you in a way on that one. But he is a good insurance policy never the less.

Guiness
04-03-2009, 10:31 AM
I haven't seen anything about what they are paying Pace. A multi Pro Bowl vet - it could be a lot. $6-8million/year wouldn't surprise me, because I can't see Pace going for a 'prove it' contract. If he was willing to take a serious pay downgrade, I have to think he would've renegotiated with St-L.

The Bears better hope he does have something left in the tank, and that he can start at LT. If he doesn't, he's still useful as a high quality backup, and will help Williams development. But I don't think that's what they're looking for.

Dabaddestbear
04-03-2009, 10:41 AM
I haven't seen anything about what they are paying Pace. A multi Pro Bowl vet - it could be a lot. $6-8million/year wouldn't surprise me, because I can't see Pace going for a 'prove it' contract. If he was willing to take a serious pay downgrade, I have to think he would've renegotiated with St-L.

The Bears better hope he does have something left in the tank, and that he can start at LT. If he doesn't, he's still useful as a high quality backup, and will help Williams development. But I don't think that's what they're looking for.

The Bears have agreed to a three-year deal, $15 million deal with free agent Orlando Pace, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton. His first-year payout, according to the source, is $6.1 million.

They are a lot more solid on the O-line now.
An article from the suntimes gave a good description of how it plays out.

Pace may quicken success for O-line
7-time Pro Bowler to start at left tackle, reconfiguring lineup
Recommend (1)
Comments

April 3, 2009
BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com

Talk about a huge day for the Bears' offense: A little more than an hour after trading for Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler on Thursday, the Bears agreed to terms with Orlando Pace, a seven-time Pro Bowl left tackle, in a move that not only reshapes the line, but also likely changes general manager Jerry Angelo's draft plans.

If Pace can be as effective as Ruben Brown was when Brown re-energized his career with a move to the Bears, the offensive line just improved considerably.
RELATED STORIES
BEARS STUN, LAND A GUN

Pace will sign a three-year contract and will start at left tackle, meaning 2008 first-round pick Chris Williams will have to stave off recently signed veteran Kevin Shaffer to claim a starting job at right tackle.

Pace, 33, missed 25 games over the last three seasons but started 14 last year for the St. Louis Rams and cleared a physical when he visited Halas Hall on Monday. Agent Kennard McGuire praised the visit, and it led to quick negotiations.

''He had a tremendous relationship with [coach Lovie Smith],'' McGuire said. ''That was an element.''

The Bears won out over the Baltimore Ravens, who initially pursued Pace when he was cut by the Rams last month and who had an offer on the table for more money. Pace apparently wanted to remain in the Midwest and felt comfortable with his relationship with Smith, the Rams' defensive coordinator for three seasons.

Pace is considered a better pass blocker than run blocker, and that will allow the Bears to get a better run blocker in Williams or Shaffer on the right side. The depth chart looks much different than it did when minicamp ended two weeks ago. Free-agent pickup Frank Omiyale, originally signed to play left guard, was working at right tackle with Williams on the left side. No backups were in place.

Now Omiyale can move back to left guard, where he will compete with Josh Beekman. Shaffer, who has 86 career starts, including time at left tackle with Atlanta and Cleveland, could be a well-paid swing tackle with a three-year, $8million contract.

Moving Williams to right tackle doesn't signal long-term plans to keep him there. Jonathan Ogden, an 11-time Pro Bowl left tackle, played right tackle in his first season with the Ravens. Jordan Gross was a right tackle in Carolina before last season, and he landed a deal with more than $30 million guaranteed from the Panthers. John Tait played both sides for the Bears and Kansas City Chiefs.

Pace will be able to take part in the voluntary offseason program, which begins Monday. Now the Bears must determine how his addition affects a draft that is short on picks after the Cutler deal.

The Bears cannot count on Pace for more than a year or two. That's the approach they took with Brown when they signed him to play left guard after eight Pro Bowl seasons in Buffalo. They got three solid seasons out of him, and he made one last trip to the Pro Bowl after the 2006 season.

Bears coaches and scouts have been working out a slew of offensive linemen and receivers in recent weeks, with more scheduled. Multiple sources say those are the positions the team is focusing on, and adding Pace doesn't eliminate the need for a young tackle, though he does give Angelo some flexibility that didn't exist previously.
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1509401,CST-SPT-pace03.article

HarveyWallbangers
04-03-2009, 11:00 AM
$6-8million/year wouldn't surprise me

I'd be surprised if he got the low end of that and I'd be shocked if he got the high end of that.

HarveyWallbangers
04-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Looks like he got $15M over 3 years ($5M/year).

Guiness
04-03-2009, 01:10 PM
This is more of a dice thrown (money wise) than the Cutler deal, but if it works out, even for a couple of years, the payback could be huge. If the Bears cap is as good as you say it is DaBaddest, this is a very good move.

SnakeLH2006
04-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Uh, he was injured last year, but not washed up. He was cut because of cap reasons. and he is still a major upgrade to the turnstile we had at LT last year, and our rookie tackle last year, will be on the right side with the FA signing from cleveland(who is very solid as a RT) will be the swing tackle. The most two important parts of the offense just got a tremendous upgrade in one big day for the Bears.

Actually I'm happy for you few Bear posters on here and many real-life Bear buddies. This will add competitive juice to betting,etc. and make it more interesting. Bottom line though....Cutler is no Favre. And the Bears still suck.

Dabaddestbear
04-04-2009, 03:25 AM

Actually I'm happy for you few Bear posters on here and many real-life Bear buddies. This will add competitive juice to betting,etc. and make it more interesting. Bottom line though....Cutler is no Favre. And the Bears still suck.
Man, I'm gonna love taking Packer fans money this year. Place the bets when you are ready ladies and gents...lol.

Please keep in mind though for those that keep dismissing the Pace singing.
Pace signing was gold, I do believe he gave up all of 3 sacks last year while only missing 2 games. I think Our last LT gave up 9.5!! You cant tell me that the line will not be much better now.

Bretsky
04-04-2009, 06:12 AM
It's a good thing the Bears are doing something or we'd have nothing to talk about; at least during Packer Free Agency this has lit the debates up a bit

wist43
04-04-2009, 08:38 AM
The Bears gave up a lot, but they're definitely better today than they were a few days ago...

Besides, they could just as easily have used their 1st round pick on a slug like Justin Harrell, or pedestrian LB like AJ Hawk.

At some point you have to put names to draft positions... would you trade a bust like Harrell, and a JAG like Hawk for a shot at filling the most important position on your team with a QB who just might be the answer for you??? I would.

I believe in building thru the draft, but there are other avenues as well.

:lol: Sorry, I called up this thread, then walked away... came back and thought it was the Cutler thread, hence the Cutler comment :lol:

I like the Pace signing too... stop gap, but it buys them some time.