PDA

View Full Version : Boston Radio - Cutler/Cassell

packers11
04-04-2009, 11:40 AM
They brought up a very valid point yesterday. I was driving from Rhode Island to Boston and was listening into the radio station and all they do is talk about the Pats. But since the Cutler story was the big news in the NFL, they all brought up a valid point I didn't even think about...

Why didn't the Bears jump over Matt Cassell / Make any offer to the Pats... The radio station and callers were blasting the Bears on how they gave up so much for Cutler, when they could have had someone that was just as good, and could have been acquired for a lot cheaper.

If KC only offered a 2nd for Vrabel and Cassel, Why wouldn't the Bears pony up a little more to secure the deal and not risk the next 2 years of not drafting a playmaker in the first round (potentially setting them back for a few years).

The radio station (WEEI) made a valid point...

Would you rather have ... Cassel/Vrabel , while keeping your two first round draft picks...

Or...

Cutler, with no first rounder for the next two years...

The majority of the station (not biased towards the Bears/Packers) was astonished why the Bears made a move for Cutler and not Cassel...

Thoughts?

gbgary
04-04-2009, 11:46 AM
cutler has a track record where cassel is probably more thought of as a one-year-wonder.

sheepshead
04-04-2009, 11:49 AM
This is a valid point. Cutler, at least at the moment is a head case. Not saying he wont mature. Our guy did in the 90's. If I was ready to give up the farm, Cassel might have been a better and less costly choice.

red
04-04-2009, 11:52 AM
i don't agree at all that cassel is equal to cutler

cassel had a good year, but he did it with one of the most dominate teams of all time built around him. the exact same team that allowed brady to throw for 1,700 td's the season before

PlantPage55
04-04-2009, 12:02 PM

cassel had a good year, but he did it with one of the most dominate teams of all time built around him. the exact same team that allowed brady to throw for 1,700 td's the season before

Exactly. I'm counting on him being totally exposed next year. I have a sticky note to remind me to watch just how good he actually is. My opinion is: not very and I can't believe that GMs were really fooled.

bobblehead
04-04-2009, 12:20 PM

Yep, Red and I don't always see eye to eye, but a guy who hasn't even played a full season can NEVER compare to a guy who has made a probowl.

Same reason I think for now that you can't put ARod in Cutlers class.

Patler
04-04-2009, 01:00 PM

Yep, Red and I don't always see eye to eye, but a guy who hasn't even played a full season can NEVER compare to a guy who has made a probowl.

Same reason I think for now that you can't put ARod in Cutlers class.

Cassell hasn't played a full season - technically true, but Brady was injured half way through the first period of the first game. Brady played just two series. Cassell played 15 games, 3.5 quarters. Cutler is no long tooth veteran. He has been the starter only two full seasons and five games.

Does being in a Pro-bowl really have anything to do with it? Is Cutler better than Rivers just because he was in the Pro Bowl and Rivers was not?

category - Cutler/Rivers

attempts - 616/478
completions - 384/312
comp. % - 62.3/65.3
total yards - 4526/4009
yards/att. - 7.3/8.4
Touchdowns - 25/34
interceptions - 18/11

The interesting thing is that Cutler had a 3 game lead over SD with four games to play. In his last 4 games Rivers threw 11 TDs and 1 interception, winning all four. Cutler threw 4 TDs and 5 interceptions, winning just one of four, losing 3 in a row.

The fact that Cutler went to the Pro-Bowl means nothing to me.

hoosier
04-04-2009, 01:06 PM
The main problem with this poll is it assumes that what the Chiefs paid for Vrable and Cassell was a price available to just anyone. We know that's not the case, since other teams are known to have offered more than an early 2 for Cassell.

packers11
04-04-2009, 01:17 PM
The main problem with this poll is it assumes that what the Chiefs paid for Vrable and Cassell was a price available to just anyone. We know that's not the case, since other teams are known to have offered more than an early 2 for Cassell.

I believe that if they told KC to hold off and the DEN/TB fell through as KC moved on, they could be stuck with $30 million in QB's right now. Too risky. That close with KC, you just have to pull the trigger. The Bears didn't even enter in the bidding...

HarveyWallbangers
04-04-2009, 01:36 PM
I think Chicago paid a fair price for Cutler. I think Kansas City got a steal with Cassel. I like the KC trade more. Cassel has only one good year while Cutler has two, but I think they are relatively comparable as prospects. I'm one that isn't buying Cassel was only good because of the team.

texaspackerbacker
04-04-2009, 04:38 PM

Nobody said Cassell was "equal to" Cutler.

The point made was that Cutler minus 2 first round picks compared to Cassell plus Vrabel and a second rounder makes K.C. look like geniuses and the Bears look like fools.

I disagree with Harvey I think it was, who said a K.C. got a bargain and the Bears made a fair deal. I say it's K.C. that made the fair deal, and the Bears overpaid ridiculously.

pack4to84
04-04-2009, 05:09 PM
The reason the bears had to over pay was that they had to out do the Redskins. Heard on Chicago radio that the Redskins offered 2 first round, Fifth in 2010 and Campbell. So the bears threw in there 3rd rd in 2010. For not having a star QB in 50 years they had to pull off this trade. That I give them bears credit. Now we will find out if Chicago still destroys QB like they have always done.

Guiness
04-04-2009, 05:55 PM
One reason not mentioned that Cutler may have been more attractive than Cassel is because he came with a (low, low, low) contract.

Cassel had to be re-signed, and commanded a king's ransom.

texaspackerbacker
04-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Very Good point, Guinness--makes me want to change my vote.

packrat
04-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Cutler, Cook, aren't going to be happy with the low contract for long. I was surprised the Bears made the move without solving the contract issue first.

Guiness
04-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Cutler, Cook, aren't going to be happy with the low contract for long. I was surprised the Bears made the move without solving the contract issue first.

I actually commented on that in another post in the Cutler thread - my vote is that w/o a new contract, Cutler's not in camp.

Dabaddestbear
04-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Contract reworked or not, Cutler will be in camp. He has 3 years left!And showed that he can be very good for almost 3 seasons. Cassel showed that he can keep an already great team in contention, but no longer make them great.
That along with the fact that KC will have to give a mega deal to a QB that was average at best in the system he was in.

The Cassel trade reminds me of the stupid trade the Bears made for Rick Mirer from Seattle who was the rookie of the year and the next year just fell off. I remember Mel Kiper screaming that he was the Bears answer to a future franchise QB, just like he has said Cutler has always been overrated since college, and the Bears made a big mistake...The infamous Hair will be wrong once again.
Once you get tape on one year QB's, defenses tend to learn their tendencies and shut them down. I think this may be true for Cassel.

And why do most of you and other pundits insist on saying they gave up the farm for a Pro-bowl QB? They swapped QB's, got a 5th, and gave away 1st this year and next year, along with ONE of their 3rds. A good deal in my opinion. But time will tell.

Guiness
04-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I envy you your confidence he'll be in camp. I just can't see it, every team runs into that - we've got Tramon to deal with this year.

Otherwise I do pretty much agree with what you're saying, DaBBear *shudder*. And I think the price they paid in picks for Cassel is fair, but that contract...I also happen to think they took a reasonable chance on Cutler. More picks then they should've for a guy who's got a big Q mark due to his behavior - but if he plays for that contract, I'd say they're playing the same odds KC is.

I will say though that I get a kick out of how often I've seen the words 'Pro Bowl' prefixed to his name, but whatever, he was there. Every time I see his name now I see 'pro-bowl QB' in front of it. How come Kurt Warner's name isn't lit up like that? :bs:

Dabaddestbear
04-05-2009, 10:30 PM
I envy you your confidence he'll be in camp. I just can't see it, every team runs into that - we've got Tramon to deal with this year.

Otherwise I do pretty much agree with what you're saying, DaBBear *shudder*. And I think the price they paid in picks for Cassel is fair, but that contract...I also happen to think they took a reasonable chance on Cutler. More picks then they should've for a guy who's got a big Q mark due to his behavior - but if he plays for that contract, I'd say they're playing the same odds KC is.

I will say though that I get a kick out of how often I've seen the words 'Pro Bowl' prefixed to his name, but whatever, he was there. Every time I see his name now I see 'pro-bowl QB' in front of it. How come Kurt Warner's name isn't lit up like that? :bs:
Come on man, he got pissed ONE time and it hit the news ..Whooopee. Unlike T.O. or other players that actually has some SERIOUS issues, there is not one player that had not one thing sour or questionable about him. Not even other players from other teams.

And you dont see ProBowl QB behind Warners name on here because their are no Cardinal fans on this board..lol.
Go ahead and debate with a Cardinal fan about Warner in Comparison to your QB, and I can bet you they are gonna mention ProBowl QB, SB QB, etc... in each post :wink:

packers11
04-06-2009, 01:19 PM
I don't get why people put so much interest in the 'pro bowl' label...

If Lord Favre didn't drop out (as usual) Cutler would have been sitting home... And Rivers defiantly outplayed emo boy (Cutler)

Like in years past, when D Hall made it in favor of Al Harris, it was a total joke... I think Al Harris let up 1 td the whole year...

Dabaddestbear
04-06-2009, 01:31 PM

If Lord Favre didn't drop out (as usual) Cutler would have been sitting home... And Rivers defiantly outplayed emo boy (Cutler)

Like in years past, when D Hall made it in favor of Al Harris, it was a total joke... I think Al Harris let up 1 td the whole year...
Ok, lets forget any label "for your case"...I will just say the Bears are happy to have a QB that will make a difference for years to come.

packers11
04-06-2009, 01:33 PM

Ok, lets forget any label "for your case"...I will just say the Bears are happy to have a QB that will make a difference for years to come.

fair enough... it was an upgrade... But like the Colts/Packers in 2003 and the Pats in 07... No matter how good your offense is, if there are other holes on the team (esp defense) you'll never win...

packers11
04-06-2009, 01:34 PM
the superbowl ^

Bossman641
04-07-2009, 09:48 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sIvWMQvGKyA/SVqqMqybPLI/AAAAAAAABxM/X264IvgZk8w/s400/emo+jay+cutler.jpg

Cheesehead Craig
04-07-2009, 10:47 AM
I think Chicago paid a fair price for Cutler. I think Kansas City got a steal with Cassel. I like the KC trade more. Cassel has only one good year while Cutler has two, but I think they are relatively comparable as prospects. I'm one that isn't buying Cassel was only good because of the team.
I agree with Harvey that too much is put on Cassel being good as to where he was.

Cutler's a good QB and I think Chi overpaid for him. Not grossly overpaid, but mildly overpaid.

In comparison of the 2 deals, I would have rather have had my team done the Cassel one.

SnakeLH2006
04-09-2009, 01:37 AM
Snake voted the majority before he looked at the poll...but based on the fact Cutler is cancer/punk bitch with immense talent and alotta draft picks....the other scenario gives you time to sort it out for much less picks (both draft and game-wise) for a similar player. The Bears don't need a QB to throw 30 TD's and 20 picks..They need a winner...Cutler is not that guy. Sorry Partial and you crazy Bear fans who showed up here lately to post mad-like like Mountain-Dew laden 10 year olds. So sorry. :cry: