PDA

View Full Version : Waldo's Mock Offseason

Waldo
04-04-2009, 07:00 PM
I posted this elsewhere but I figured I'd share. TT has shown interest in most of the prospects in it, and all are picked about where they are projected. I was conscious to choose guys that meets the criteria for players that TT has shown favor for (athletic traits, size, personality, leadership, etc..).

Free Agency:

Additions:
Anthony Smith, FS/SS, 6'1", 200lb
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2007/1209/nfl_u_smith_300.jpg
TT's first FA signing, he brings experience in the scheme and is a player the coaches know.

Michael Montgomery, DE, 6'5", 275lb
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID1330/slideshows/montgomery.jpg
After Carter visited :wink: the Packers attention has turned to Montgomery, who has the right sized frame, though is a little slow and undersized for the DE position.

Duke Preston, C/G/T, 6'5", 326lb
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/crimsonnik/56516471.jpg
Versatile player brought in as a guy to compete at C, G, and RT, and at worst be a valuable player on the bench. He's very large compared to the rest of our lineman, yet has the agility to succeed in our blocking scheme if the coaches can get him to play up to his ability.

Subtractions:
Mark Tausher, RT
Mark is signed elsewhere prior to TT making an effort to retain him.

Colin Cole, DT
Cole signed with the Seahawks after rejecting the small offer from the Packers.

Projected 2010 compensatory picks: None

Draft:
Detroit Lions - Matthew Stafford - The bar has swung back to Stafford IMO. This pick is all about $$, I think that Stafford and his agent have to study the past history of drafts, and they will realize that he is losing a significant amount of money if he doesn't sign here. He could realistically fall all the way to #8, or beyond, if he does not take Detroit's offer. Detroit has to keep up with the Joneses, a QB is what they need, and sign and pick Stafford.

St. Louis - Eugene Monroe - The Rams IMO are set on a tackle. They need a tackle and a WR (in addition to basically every defensive position), the tackle is the safe pick here.

Kansas City - Brian Orakpo - Though many have Curry penciled in here, the fact remains that he plays linebacker, when cost is considered the DE/OLB becomes the more valuable pick. KC needs a pass rush in a very bad way.

Seattle - Jason Smith - IMO this pick is very important to a number of others down the line. While Sanchez seems like a good fit, there is that nasty thing known as a contract, I just can't see a top 5 QB backing up a 10M/yr QB who is under contract for 2 more years. Walter is closer to the end than Hass is, and franchise LT's are nearly as hard to find as franchise QB's.

Cleveland - Aaron Curry - At some point the BPA can't be ignored, I think that Curry's overall football IQ and ability to play ILB and OLB, makes him an ideal fit as a 2 gap 3-4 LB, which they play.

Cincinnati - Michael Crabtree - I think that they are looking to get rid of Ocho sooner rather than later. Crabtree here facilitates that process. I thought that this would be Andre's floor, but the Ocho situation complicates this.

Oakland - Andre Smith - Andre Smith was the best OT in college football last year, and Al likes tackles. He has drafted A LOT of them. If his tackles aren't the best (they aren't), be assured that Al wants to take a tackle.

Jacksonville Jaguars - BJ Raji - Jacksonville is in a tough spot, while I'm sure that they would love Sanchez, their staff is too close to the hot seat to take a guy that probably won't help them much in '09. I'm sure that they'd love to trade down, but unfortunately for them, the player on the board that teams want is a QB, and the team with the next pick is quite possibly the least likely team in the draft to actually take a QB. Their defense declined bad after Stroud left, Raji could pick up where he left off and get them back to dominating the defensive line of scrimmage. The positive test just gets tham a cheaper contract with him.

*trade* - Green Bay trades #9 to the Washington Redskins for #13 and Carlos Rogers.

Trade Acquisition - Carlos Rogers, CB, 6'0", 190
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0deMbm42yz5RB/340x.jpg
There has been talk all offseason that he has been on the block, including as part of trade compensation for Cutler. Snyder made his bed with Smoot and Hall, he can't afford to extend Rogers even though statistically he was one of the best covermen in the NFL. Repeated attempts to trade him have lowered his value. Dan tipped his hand in pursuit of Cutler, he wants better than Campbell. He moves up to secure Jason's successor, lacking much draft pick firepower he trades the CB and TT is happy to oblige. Rogers is young and entering his prime. He needs a new contract soon but that can be accommodated.

Washington Redskins - Mark Sanchez - Dan wants better than Campbell. He moves up to get Jason's successor before the 49ers have a chance to grab him.

San Francisco 49ers - Everette Brown - Manny Lawson has thus far proven ineffective, and SF could use a better pass rusher. Coach Singletary knows linebackers, and he likes what he sees out of Brown on tape.

Buffalo Bills - Robert Ayers - The Bills could use a pass rush and better DE, Maybin is a little too slow and raw for them, Ayers has a lot of hype, and the Bills have bit on hype before.

Denver Broncos - Aaron Maybin - With the Packers next, the Broncos have to be strategic about the next two picks. They know the Packers are probably looking at the same players that they are, where is the biggest dropoff, pass rusher or line. They take the pass rusher.

#13 - Tyson Jackson, DE, 6'4", 295lb
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/1024/ncf_i_jackson_600.jpg
The Broncos taking Maybin cleared the way for the Packers to take Jackson here. TT fills the position he's been snooping around in the offseason and he gets a good starting CB for his trading down trouble. Barnett is grinning ear to ear.

*trade* - Green Bay trades #41 to the NYG for #45 and #129
*trade* - Green Bay trades #45 and #129 to Cleveland for #50 and #104

#50 - Max Unger, C/G/RT, 6'5", 309lb
http://www.nationalchamps.net/2008/sub/pics/small/oregon_max_unger.jpg
Max's arms are a little short to play LT, but he can play the other 4 positions well. He's a low error player that will facilitate the filling of the RT spot, whether by Colledge, Barbre, Sitton, or himself. TT gambles that he can trade down and pick up some value and still get him, and he is right.

#73 - Dorell Scott, NT/DE, 6'3", 315lb
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/crimsonnik/72742985.jpg
In a recent interview, Scott has said that he was being looked at almost exclusively by 3-4 teams seeking a NT, having visited (or scheduled visits) with most of them. TT was the only GM present at Clemson's pro day. He fits the mold of a TT draft pick, a team leader and mentor to other players, with strong athletic ability.

#83 - Cody Brown, OLB, 6'2", 244lb
http://www.courant.com/media/photo/2008-10/43056104.jpg
Short and undersized with real long arms and good enough speed, agility, and explosion. He was a very productive player in school but falls a but due to less than perfect size, plus he is of little use to 4-3 teams aside from situational rusher.

#104 - Chase Coffman, TE, 6'6", 244lb
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01R017b5s62xI/610x.jpg
TT has been sniffing around TE's all offseason. Has a foot injury and has been unable to work out, and he falls to the Packers here at the top of the 4th. His father Paul played for the Packers and was one of the Packer greats.

#109 - James Davis, RB, 5'11", 218lb
http://www.williston.k12.sc.us/WEHS/2006webpages/jamesdavis3.jpg
TT showed a lot of interest in Davis. We are going to need another back to bring to camp, Davis would have a solid chance to make the roster, especially if he can run back kicks.

#145 - Tony Fiametta, FB/H-Back, 6'0", 245lb
http://heismanbrasil.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/2009_1_6_fiammettatony_wvu_43b_web.jpg
Quick FB with great hands and great blocking skills. He fits what MM likes to do on offense perfectly. Has the size and speed to be a good battering ram when a yard or two is needed. The FB is dying in the NFL, but not in GB where the FB gets a lot of use.

*trade* - Green Bay trades Al Harris to Buffalo for #147 - Buffalo is gearing up for a run and is in win now mode. TT discussed jumping ahead of Denver with them with Al as part of the package, they told him no but to call back later they might have interest. TT eliminates any sort of conflict that might arise from the acquisition of Rogers by immediately trading Al.

#147 - Henry Melton, OLB, 6'4", 269lb
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bA92UJavkeJT/340x.jpg
Henry started his career as a RB, moving to DE eventually to play opposite Brian Orakpo. He showed very good athleticism at his pro day, which TT was present for.

#182 - Nader Abdallah, DE, 6'4", 292lb
http://photos.cleveland.com/photos/plain-dealer/d29a08fa0d2c5a0a9909edeab3abcf5e.jpg
Late bloomer that had a strong finish to his college career. Physical prototype at DE that will be developed.

#187 - Don Carey, CB, 5'11", 192lb
http://www.nsuspartans.com/images/2008/9/4/rp_primary_NSU%20-%20VSU%200522.jpg
CB with good enough size and speed for TT that flashed impressive skills in the shrine game.

#218 - Jamarko Simmons, WR/H-Back/FB, 6'2", 231lb
http://blog.mlive.com/broncos_impact/2008/09/large_marko.jpg
Big strong WR with good wheels that hails from G. Jennings alma mater and broke several of his records, including receptions and single season yards.

Projected Depth Chart:
QB - Rodgers, Brohm, Flynn
RB - Jackson, Grant, Davis
FB - Hall, Fiametta
WR - Driver, Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Simmons
TE - Lee, Finley, Coffman
LT - Clifton, Colledge, Barbre
LG - Colledge, Preston, Barbre
C- Spitz, Preston
RG - Unger, Preston, Moll
RT - Sitton, Moll, Giacomini

WOLB - Poppinga, Brown, Melton
RDE - Jenkins, Scott, Malone
NT - Pickett, Scott, Harrell
LDE - Jackson, Harrell, Jolly
SOLB - Kampman, Thompson, Poppinga
WILB - Barnett, Chillar, Hawk
SILB - Hawk, Bishop, Poppinga
LCB - Rogers, Lee
NCB - Williams, Carey
FS - Collins, Rouse, Smith
SS - Bigby, Smith, Rouse
RCB - Woodson, Blackmon

K - Crosby
P - Unknown
LS - Jansen

Bretsky
04-04-2009, 07:16 PM
This is great stuff Waldo, and up to the Al Harris for what TT got for him I was completely on board. My gut tells me TT would/could hold out for more.

I can really see the Skins trading up in front of Wash to get the QB, and Tyson Jackson at #13 would be a good pick.

But I'm guessing TT would rather garner an extra 3rd out of them for it.

I do like that portfolio of additions via draft picks though

Love the Chase Coffman pick too; that would be sweet.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-04-2009, 07:22 PM
You way overvalue Sanchez.

Sanchez is by no means an upgrade over Cambell.

Bretsky
04-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Washington is thought to be trying to deal Campbell

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-04-2009, 07:31 PM
I like it. Rodgers would be a sweet pick up. Him, Williams and Lee would give us good hope for the future.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-04-2009, 07:37 PM

For a pro bowl QB.

Snyder wants to win...NOW. Taking a college senior...not going to win now.

Lurker64
04-04-2009, 08:38 PM
So, Waldo.

Supposing we pick at #9, who do you suppose we grab?

Also, with our second round pick, do you think all of the second tier WOLB pass rusher prospects will be gone, guys like Barwin, English, and Sintim? If one of those kinds of guys is there, and we don't take a WOLB in the first round, do you think Unger is higher on Thompson's board?

Do you think Dorrell Scott grades out higher than Myron Pryor on Thompson's board? Or is Pryor gone at #73? Pryor seems to me to be built to play NT as he is morphologically similar to a Coke Machine. Is Scott simply more versatile?

Charles Woodson
04-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Waldo, so you think we cut harris this year? i dont seem him on your final depth chart

Lurker64
04-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Waldo, so you think we cut harris this year? i dont seem him on your final depth chart

In Waldo's accounting, we traded him for Buffalo's fifth round pick, because the acquisition of Carlos Rogers made him expendable.

I agree with Waldo's reasoning, that if we did trade #9 for #13 and Rogers, Harris would not make the final roster.

3irty1
04-04-2009, 09:34 PM
*trade* - Green Bay trades Al Harris to Buffalo for #147

:(

I find it surprising that you think Hunter won't make the team.

Waldo
04-04-2009, 09:38 PM
So, Waldo.

Supposing we pick at #9, who do you suppose we grab?

Also, with our second round pick, do you think all of the second tier WOLB pass rusher prospects will be gone, guys like Barwin, English, and Sintim? If one of those kinds of guys is there, and we don't take a WOLB in the first round, do you think Unger is higher on Thompson's board?

Do you think Dorrell Scott grades out higher than Myron Pryor on Thompson's board? Or is Pryor gone at #73? Pryor seems to me to be built to play NT as he is morphologically similar to a Coke Machine. Is Scott simply more versatile?

At #9.....Maybin or Brown. A 3-4 had better be very special to justify #9 money, Jackson is only special. By #12-#13 the money issue drops out and he becomes the BPA for a 3-4 team. He's the best 3-4 DE prospect since Seymore.

If we miss on the first tier guys (Orakpo, Maybin, Brown), I think the second tier is deep enough and close enough that you could wait until the mid 3rd and still get a good one. Between Barwin, English, Sintim, Sidbury, Matthews, Kruger, C. Brown, Johnson, each prospect has good points and bad points, but there isn't a huge difference. That's 8 guys that have real late first/2nd round value. Somebody, or several somebodies are going to drop to the mid 3rd, 1/4 of the NFL is probably not planning on taking a pass rusher in the 2nd, especially since 3 teams will have already taken one in the first.

There are also some good prospects later, P. Walters, Hunt, Melton, etc. TT is a believer in the big man theory (at least he has stated that he is), there are a very finite number of athletic 300lb+ humans on the planet, if two guys are equal, take the big guy. Unger is the most TT-like OL in the last few drafts. He's fairly big (310lb), can play all five positions, and is very athletic.

I do think that Scott grades out a bit higher. He's a very similar player to Harrell. He's a very good athlete for his size, and has a lot of interior experience. He's also a very big team leader and noted as a hard worker. His value is slightly higher than Pryor IMO because he's a much better fit at DE than Pryor. Pryor, Raji, Brace, and Taylor are pure NT's, they have very little use aside from the nose. Scott could play inside or outside, and would really be the ideal kind of guy for various sub packages where he could move around, yet you wouldn't have a problem at all with him in a base 3-4 at NT, he's big enough and strong enough. Athletic NT's are pretty rare, Harrell is one, you don't see them every year. Scott is another.

I would have no problem with Pryor either however. Not quite as versatile, but he'd be a perfect fit at the nose and would be an excellent backup to Pickett with a lot of upside.

Waldo
04-04-2009, 09:47 PM

Not that I think Hunter is bad, but I think that Melton has an exceptional amount of upside on ST. I'm sure he still has RB instincts and vision, couple those with 270 lb defensive player that runs a 4.6 flat, dude would be an absolute demon on kickoff coverage and punt coverage.

Not to mention his upside at OLB, which is quite good as well.

Basically every pick after the 3rd round I had ST in mind as well as regular play, as that is how they make the roster.

Waldo
04-04-2009, 09:59 PM
We've either had a visit with, interviewed, or had one of the big wigs at their pro day for every guy on here but Carey (not aware of it for him), but he's a very TT style CB.

Jackson - TT at pro day, combine interview
Unger - Pro day visit (not sure if TT was there), Senior bowl interview
Scott - TT at pro day
C. Brown - TT at pro day, interview (I forget where)
Coffman - We sent a large contingent to their pro day though he didn't work out, and talked to him
Davis - TT at pro day, private workout afterwards, we were all over him
Fiametta - Private workout with the Packers
Melton - TT at pro day, with a large Packer contingent
Abdallah - TT at pro day, we interviewed him there and payed a lot of attention to him
Carey - Nothing.....but he fits as a TT type guy, we definitely saw him at the shrine game. Miami has been all over him.
Simmons - Greg connection, Jamarko is close to Greg's dad, TT was at their pro day

3irty1
04-04-2009, 10:15 PM

Not that I think Hunter is bad, but I think that Melton has an exceptional amount of upside on ST. I'm sure he still has RB instincts and vision, couple those with 270 lb defensive player that runs a 4.6 flat, dude would be an absolute demon on kickoff coverage and punt coverage.

Basically every pick after the 3rd round I had ST in mind as well as regular play, as that is how they make the roster.

Sounds like you have us replacing Hunter with a new Hunter that is a couple years younger. Hunter is good special teamer in his own right. I doubt we spend a draft pick to upgrade this position by a couple of years.

mission
04-04-2009, 10:23 PM
I'd really like to get a 6'2" 230lbs WR that beat some of Jennings' records. I'm intrigued by some of these small school guys, and with a frame like that, he'd be a BEAST in the slot.

Lurker64
04-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Sounds like you have us replacing Hunter with a new Hunter that is a couple years younger. Hunter is good special teamer in his own right. I doubt we spend a draft pick to upgrade this position by a couple of years.

I think we just need to throw some darts at the WOLB position in the later rounds, since it's not clear to me that Poppinga is a competent starter at that position. A fifth round pick for a guy with some upside at that position is entirely reasonable.

Waldo
04-04-2009, 10:43 PM

Hunter is making 1M this year and is a FA next year (if there is a new CBA). If he doesn't break out soon, he's never going to. IMO we draft his replacement this year. If Hunter breaks out, the guy is cut. If the new guy is a flop, he's cut. If Hunter doesn't take a step forward and the new guy looks like he has a chance, and is good on ST too, time to give up on the Hunter project. This is year 4, if he's not pushing to start, he's not worth keeping.

Waldo
04-04-2009, 10:45 PM
I'd really like to get a 6'2" 230lbs WR that beat some of Jennings' records. I'm intrigued by some of these small school guys, and with a frame like that, he'd be a BEAST in the slot.

Runs a 4.5 flat too. I'm not sure why he isn't considered more highly by any draft source. But his size/speed combo is incredibly intriguing, he's the size of a small fullback and faster than Jones.

3irty1
04-04-2009, 10:54 PM
I like the Jamarko Simmons pick too. I've never seen him play but if he's a converted H-Back I bet he can get some YAC.

"Pick him up!"
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9789/pickhimup.jpg

mission
04-04-2009, 10:56 PM

Runs a 4.5 flat too. I'm not sure why he isn't considered more highly by any draft source. But his size/speed combo is incredibly intriguing, he's the size of a small fullback and faster than Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRVUWsyOop8

Dude looks like a beast! Reminds me a bit of Boldin ... real good body control and seems like the kinda guy TT would go for. Runs some DBs over too...

edit - no red flags on the guy? seems like he wouldnt be THAT far under the radar, especially since Jennings put WMich on the map a bit.

BTW - the beat on that youtube video has to be one of the worst "hip hop productions" I've ever, ever heard. :lol:

3irty1
04-04-2009, 10:57 PM

I think we just need to throw some darts at the WOLB position in the later rounds, since it's not clear to me that Poppinga is a competent starter at that position. A fifth round pick for a guy with some upside at that position is entirely reasonable.

Yeah sure throw some darts, its a reasonable pick. I'm just saying I'd be surprised if Hunter was cut.

3irty1
04-04-2009, 11:00 PM

Dude looks like a beast! Reminds me a bit of Boldin ... real good body control and seems like the kinda guy TT would go for. Runs some DBs over too...

edit - no red flags on the guy? seems like he wouldnt be THAT far under the radar, especially since Jennings put WMich on the map a bit.

BTW - the beat on that youtube video has to be one of the worst "hip hop productions" I've ever, ever heard. :lol:

You posting that video here is going to double its views. Currently 229.

mission
04-04-2009, 11:01 PM

You posting that video here is going to double its views. Currently 229.

One of the few videos Ive ever seen posted on Youtube without a single comment... I might have to leave one. :P

mission
04-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Pro day news coverage (WMU)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvwbvqZFneQ&feature=related

Simmons basically said: "ill play special teams, any position and go anywhere... Ill go to Green Bay, etc, etc ... "

Definitely said GB first 8-)

(ok, I'm done)

Waldo
04-04-2009, 11:10 PM
You can either follow traditional WR mantra - outrun 'em, TT seems to be seeking a different angle, beat 'em up. Jones weighs 220, Jordy weighs 215. Relatively speaking, they are huge for WR's, especially since they aren't 6'5".

texaspackerbacker
04-05-2009, 08:26 AM
While I like a lot of the individuals mentioned, I don't really like the positions picked., and I really don't like your depth chart.

Carlos Rogers: a very good player who would be nice to get, but not much value due to the contract situation; I suppose, though, you don't have us giving up much--just #9 down to #13.

I don't see Al Harris getting traded.

I think #13 is still too high for Tyson Jackson.

Getting one OLB like Melton late would be about the limit.

Unger would be a good pick up even if we don't get an OT in the first round, but I can't see him starting.

I can't see Popinga starting. He should back up Kampman, with Thompson, Hunter, and Chillar on the other side at OLB.

I don't see us drafting a RB unless some real gem falls to us in the mid rounds. Davis is a good one, though, so he might fit the gem description. More likely, we go into the season with what we have at RB.

Simmons sounds like a great late round pick. If we get a new WR, though, I think/hope it will be more of a Pat White-type player (or White himself) who can give us the capability for some option or wildcat type plays.

I can't see the Packers drafting a replacement fullback, but maybe.

As much as I'd like to see Chase Coffman be a Packer, I doubt they will draft a TE.

Waldo
04-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Just curious, what do you think that we are going to draft? 10 defensive lineman?

The positions that we have been scouting the heaviest this offseason have been TE, RB, and OLB. We've been linked to almost every prospect at these positions.

I was just changing things up this mock with Coffman, I usually have Cameron Morrah from Cal in that area.

I'd be shocked if we go into camp with 4 RB's. 5-6 is the bare minimum IMO. Any RB drafted will have KR high on the list of things they don't suck at.

C. Brown is nothing like Melton. Melton switched from being a RB and is still learning defensive (more akin to Barwin). C. Brown has played as a true freshman and has been consistently getting to the QB since. He's much more similar to L. English in that respect, being a lot more experienced than the first rounders. The only real difference with Larry is Larry is bigger and has a place in a 4-3 defense, Cody is more athletic and is best suited at 3-4 OLB, he's a little small for 4-3 DE.

I wouldn't be so sure about Poppinga. I bet there's a 65%+ chance he's the starter, unless we draft Clay Matthews. Pops is much better in coverage than the DE's on the team, and much more stout agaisnt the run than the rest of the LB's on the team. He's going to be tough to beat.

Fiametta is the best FB in the class, perhaps the best in a few years. He has great hands and is in Beanie's league speed wise, faster than Moreno. He would definitely upgrade the position. Plus he's a great blocker already. We've already shown a lot of interest in him.

cpk1994
04-05-2009, 10:57 AM

For a pro bowl QB.

Snyder wants to win...NOW. Taking a college senior...not going to win now.But you are making the assumption that Dan Snyder is smart. He ain't.

Fritz
04-06-2009, 02:41 PM
It will be fun to bring this thread back on draft day...see if any of these names pop up on the Packer list of picks.

I'm surprised that the Packers have not shown more interest in defensive linemen. Maybe Tex is running the team...

I'd be good with a trade down and Tyson Jackson. You can't count on Jolly and Harrell, so you need someone to provide a potential starter, though I know rooks don't do that too often....

Thanks, Waldo. I like everything but trading Al for a 5th. At his relatively cheap price, couldn't he be worth a 4th?

Lurker64
04-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks, Waldo. I like everything but trading Al for a 5th. At his relatively cheap price, couldn't he be worth a 4th?

He's 34 and has lost enough steps to this point where he's practically a one trick pony, though he's great at what he does. A guy who you draft in the 4th may well be a guy who you expect to groom into a starter in the next three years. Al Harris isn't going to be with any team in three years.

Waldo
04-06-2009, 03:32 PM
I can't see Al being traded for anything more than a 5th. His contract is very nice, but he's near the end. For a team like Buffalo however, that just signed Owens and is clearly going all-in this year, Al has some value. There is a very legitimate chance that Al isn't starting if he is on the roster this year.

New coach = position battles at every position. Tramon is a much more well rounded corner. Harris has to be hidden on the blind side sideline, where his great press shuts down the quick route, and throws off the timing of the deep route, making it hard for an X to do much. If he's not on the blind sideline, Al is pretty bad. I can't see him being worth a crap in sky coverage, where he drops to be essentially a cover-3 safety in zone. Sky and Cloud coverage are staples of 3-4 zone blitzes. Having your CB shut off a third of your playbook is not good.

Fritz
04-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Oh.

Nevermind.

SnakeLH2006
04-07-2009, 01:34 AM
I posted this elsewhere but I figured I'd share. TT has shown interest in most of the prospects in it, and all are picked about where they are projected. I was conscious to choose guys that meets the criteria for players that TT has shown favor for (athletic traits, size, personality, leadership, etc..).

Free Agency:

Additions:
Anthony Smith, FS/SS, 6'1", 200lb
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2007/1209/nfl_u_smith_300.jpg
TT's first FA signing, he brings experience in the scheme and is a player the coaches know.

Michael Montgomery, DE, 6'5", 275lb
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID1330/slideshows/montgomery.jpg
After Carter visited :wink: the Packers attention has turned to Montgomery, who has the right sized frame, though is a little slow and undersized for the DE position.

Duke Preston, C/G/T, 6'5", 326lb
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/crimsonnik/56516471.jpg
Versatile player brought in as a guy to compete at C, G, and RT, and at worst be a valuable player on the bench. He's very large compared to the rest of our lineman, yet has the agility to succeed in our blocking scheme if the coaches can get him to play up to his ability.

Subtractions:
Mark Tausher, RT
Mark is signed elsewhere prior to TT making an effort to retain him.

Colin Cole, DT
Cole signed with the Seahawks after rejecting the small offer from the Packers.

Projected 2010 compensatory picks: None

Draft:
Detroit Lions - Matthew Stafford - The bar has swung back to Stafford IMO. This pick is all about $$, I think that Stafford and his agent have to study the past history of drafts, and they will realize that he is losing a significant amount of money if he doesn't sign here. He could realistically fall all the way to #8, or beyond, if he does not take Detroit's offer. Detroit has to keep up with the Joneses, a QB is what they need, and sign and pick Stafford.

St. Louis - Eugene Monroe - The Rams IMO are set on a tackle. They need a tackle and a WR (in addition to basically every defensive position), the tackle is the safe pick here.

Kansas City - Brian Orakpo - Though many have Curry penciled in here, the fact remains that he plays linebacker, when cost is considered the DE/OLB becomes the more valuable pick. KC needs a pass rush in a very bad way.

Seattle - Jason Smith - IMO this pick is very important to a number of others down the line. While Sanchez seems like a good fit, there is that nasty thing known as a contract, I just can't see a top 5 QB backing up a 10M/yr QB who is under contract for 2 more years. Walter is closer to the end than Hass is, and franchise LT's are nearly as hard to find as franchise QB's.

Cleveland - Aaron Curry - At some point the BPA can't be ignored, I think that Curry's overall football IQ and ability to play ILB and OLB, makes him an ideal fit as a 2 gap 3-4 LB, which they play.

Cincinnati - Michael Crabtree - I think that they are looking to get rid of Ocho sooner rather than later. Crabtree here facilitates that process. I thought that this would be Andre's floor, but the Ocho situation complicates this.

Oakland - Andre Smith - Andre Smith was the best OT in college football last year, and Al likes tackles. He has drafted A LOT of them. If his tackles aren't the best (they aren't), be assured that Al wants to take a tackle.

Jacksonville Jaguars - BJ Raji - Jacksonville is in a tough spot, while I'm sure that they would love Sanchez, their staff is too close to the hot seat to take a guy that probably won't help them much in '09. I'm sure that they'd love to trade down, but unfortunately for them, the player on the board that teams want is a QB, and the team with the next pick is quite possibly the least likely team in the draft to actually take a QB. Their defense declined bad after Stroud left, Raji could pick up where he left off and get them back to dominating the defensive line of scrimmage. The positive test just gets tham a cheaper contract with him.

*trade* - Green Bay trades #9 to the Washington Redskins for #13 and Carlos Rogers.

Trade Acquisition - Carlos Rogers, CB, 6'0", 190
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0deMbm42yz5RB/340x.jpg
There has been talk all offseason that he has been on the block, including as part of trade compensation for Cutler. Snyder made his bed with Smoot and Hall, he can't afford to extend Rogers even though statistically he was one of the best covermen in the NFL. Repeated attempts to trade him have lowered his value. Dan tipped his hand in pursuit of Cutler, he wants better than Campbell. He moves up to secure Jason's successor, lacking much draft pick firepower he trades the CB and TT is happy to oblige. Rogers is young and entering his prime. He needs a new contract soon but that can be accommodated.

Washington Redskins - Mark Sanchez - Dan wants better than Campbell. He moves up to get Jason's successor before the 49ers have a chance to grab him.

San Francisco 49ers - Everette Brown - Manny Lawson has thus far proven ineffective, and SF could use a better pass rusher. Coach Singletary knows linebackers, and he likes what he sees out of Brown on tape.

Buffalo Bills - Robert Ayers - The Bills could use a pass rush and better DE, Maybin is a little too slow and raw for them, Ayers has a lot of hype, and the Bills have bit on hype before.

Denver Broncos - Aaron Maybin - With the Packers next, the Broncos have to be strategic about the next two picks. They know the Packers are probably looking at the same players that they are, where is the biggest dropoff, pass rusher or line. They take the pass rusher.

#13 - Tyson Jackson, DE, 6'4", 295lb
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/1024/ncf_i_jackson_600.jpg
The Broncos taking Maybin cleared the way for the Packers to take Jackson here. TT fills the position he's been snooping around in the offseason and he gets a good starting CB for his trading down trouble. Barnett is grinning ear to ear.

*trade* - Green Bay trades #41 to the NYG for #45 and #129
*trade* - Green Bay trades #45 and #129 to Cleveland for #50 and #104

#50 - Max Unger, C/G/RT, 6'5", 309lb
http://www.nationalchamps.net/2008/sub/pics/small/oregon_max_unger.jpg
Max's arms are a little short to play LT, but he can play the other 4 positions well. He's a low error player that will facilitate the filling of the RT spot, whether by Colledge, Barbre, Sitton, or himself. TT gambles that he can trade down and pick up some value and still get him, and he is right.

#73 - Dorell Scott, NT/DE, 6'3", 315lb
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/crimsonnik/72742985.jpg
In a recent interview, Scott has said that he was being looked at almost exclusively by 3-4 teams seeking a NT, having visited (or scheduled visits) with most of them. TT was the only GM present at Clemson's pro day. He fits the mold of a TT draft pick, a team leader and mentor to other players, with strong athletic ability.

#83 - Cody Brown, OLB, 6'2", 244lb
http://www.courant.com/media/photo/2008-10/43056104.jpg
Short and undersized with real long arms and good enough speed, agility, and explosion. He was a very productive player in school but falls a but due to less than perfect size, plus he is of little use to 4-3 teams aside from situational rusher.

#104 - Chase Coffman, TE, 6'6", 244lb
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01R017b5s62xI/610x.jpg
TT has been sniffing around TE's all offseason. Has a foot injury and has been unable to work out, and he falls to the Packers here at the top of the 4th. His father Paul played for the Packers and was one of the Packer greats.

#109 - James Davis, RB, 5'11", 218lb
http://www.williston.k12.sc.us/WEHS/2006webpages/jamesdavis3.jpg
TT showed a lot of interest in Davis. We are going to need another back to bring to camp, Davis would have a solid chance to make the roster, especially if he can run back kicks.

#145 - Tony Fiametta, FB/H-Back, 6'0", 245lb
http://heismanbrasil.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/2009_1_6_fiammettatony_wvu_43b_web.jpg
Quick FB with great hands and great blocking skills. He fits what MM likes to do on offense perfectly. Has the size and speed to be a good battering ram when a yard or two is needed. The FB is dying in the NFL, but not in GB where the FB gets a lot of use.

*trade* - Green Bay trades Al Harris to Buffalo for #147 - Buffalo is gearing up for a run and is in win now mode. TT discussed jumping ahead of Denver with them with Al as part of the package, they told him no but to call back later they might have interest. TT eliminates any sort of conflict that might arise from the acquisition of Rogers by immediately trading Al.

#147 - Henry Melton, OLB, 6'4", 269lb
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bA92UJavkeJT/340x.jpg
Henry started his career as a RB, moving to DE eventually to play opposite Brian Orakpo. He showed very good athleticism at his pro day, which TT was present for.

#182 - Nader Abdallah, DE, 6'4", 292lb
http://photos.cleveland.com/photos/plain-dealer/d29a08fa0d2c5a0a9909edeab3abcf5e.jpg
Late bloomer that had a strong finish to his college career. Physical prototype at DE that will be developed.

#187 - Don Carey, CB, 5'11", 192lb
http://www.nsuspartans.com/images/2008/9/4/rp_primary_NSU%20-%20VSU%200522.jpg
CB with good enough size and speed for TT that flashed impressive skills in the shrine game.

#218 - Jamarko Simmons, WR/H-Back/FB, 6'2", 231lb
http://blog.mlive.com/broncos_impact/2008/09/large_marko.jpg
Big strong WR with good wheels that hails from G. Jennings alma mater and broke several of his records, including receptions and single season yards.

Projected Depth Chart:
QB - Rodgers, Brohm, Flynn
RB - Jackson, Grant, Davis
FB - Hall, Fiametta
WR - Driver, Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Simmons
TE - Lee, Finley, Coffman
LT - Clifton, Colledge, Barbre
LG - Colledge, Preston, Barbre
C- Spitz, Preston
RG - Unger, Preston, Moll
RT - Sitton, Moll, Giacomini

WOLB - Poppinga, Brown, Melton
RDE - Jenkins, Scott, Malone
NT - Pickett, Scott, Harrell
LDE - Jackson, Harrell, Jolly
SOLB - Kampman, Thompson, Poppinga
WILB - Barnett, Chillar, Hawk
SILB - Hawk, Bishop, Poppinga
LCB - Rogers, Lee
NCB - Williams, Carey
FS - Collins, Rouse, Smith
SS - Bigby, Smith, Rouse
RCB - Woodson, Blackmon

K - Crosby
P - Unknown
LS - Jansen

Wow..You are going into Snake's Fab 5 of posters. Well...you already were, but that stuff is stuff that looks professional and should be in Sporting News. Good stuff. I love it.

mission
04-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Does Fiametta appear to be high on anyone elses radar? Have we showed any interest in him?

Waldo
04-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Does Fiametta appear to be high on anyone elses radar? Have we showed any interest in him?

We've shown a great deal of interest in him. TT did a bump into him in the hotel lobby interview with him at the combine and Edgar had a really long chat with him there too.

Fritz
04-09-2009, 06:26 AM
For a little chimp with glasses, you sure do get around, Waldo.

Hey, are you Curious George? And is Ted Thompson the Man in the Yellow Hat?

texaspackerbacker
04-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Just curious, what do you think that we are going to draft? 10 defensive lineman?

The positions that we have been scouting the heaviest this offseason have been TE, RB, and OLB. We've been linked to almost every prospect at these positions.

I was just changing things up this mock with Coffman, I usually have Cameron Morrah from Cal in that area.

I'd be shocked if we go into camp with 4 RB's. 5-6 is the bare minimum IMO. Any RB drafted will have KR high on the list of things they don't suck at.

C. Brown is nothing like Melton. Melton switched from being a RB and is still learning defensive (more akin to Barwin). C. Brown has played as a true freshman and has been consistently getting to the QB since. He's much more similar to L. English in that respect, being a lot more experienced than the first rounders. The only real difference with Larry is Larry is bigger and has a place in a 4-3 defense, Cody is more athletic and is best suited at 3-4 OLB, he's a little small for 4-3 DE.

I wouldn't be so sure about Poppinga. I bet there's a 65%+ chance he's the starter, unless we draft Clay Matthews. Pops is much better in coverage than the DE's on the team, and much more stout agaisnt the run than the rest of the LB's on the team. He's going to be tough to beat.

Fiametta is the best FB in the class, perhaps the best in a few years. He has great hands and is in Beanie's league speed wise, faster than Moreno. He would definitely upgrade the position. Plus he's a great blocker already. We've already shown a lot of interest in him.

Who, me?

I posted in that other thread where you pick your ten choices. Not more than a couple were D Linemen. What makes you think I favor that position?

I'm comfortable with what we have at DE, ILB, and OLB, as well as probably Safety. We also are well stocked for the present at Corner, although obviously we will need help fairly soon there. We likely need or at least could use a backup NT.

I see four quality RBs right now; Undoubtedly we will draft or get as street free agents one or two more--just not very high in the draft.

I also see two decent fullbacks right now, and an easy job to find others on the scrap heap--no need to draft one.

My first round choice is Oher--or Andre Smith if he's available instead--any of the top four OTs. I would also draft another O Linemen farther down--maybe two.

I have said many times, I'd like to see the Packers draft Pat White in about the 3rd or 4th round--or if not him, somebody similar. I'd like to see us have the capability to throw in some option or wildcat stuff.

I wouldn't be opposed to getting Coffman or maybe the Western Michigan kid or Beckum, and losing Humphrey, but I kinda doubt the Packers will do that.

That about covers it, I guess.

KYPack
04-09-2009, 11:17 AM
I can't see Al being traded for anything more than a 5th. His contract is very nice, but he's near the end. For a team like Buffalo however, that just signed Owens and is clearly going all-in this year, Al has some value. There is a very legitimate chance that Al isn't starting if he is on the roster this year.

New coach = position battles at every position. Tramon is a much more well rounded corner. Harris has to be hidden on the blind side sideline, where his great press shuts down the quick route, and throws off the timing of the deep route, making it hard for an X to do much. If he's not on the blind sideline, Al is pretty bad. I can't see him being worth a crap in sky coverage, where he drops to be essentially a cover-3 safety in zone. Sky and Cloud coverage are staples of 3-4 zone blitzes. Having your CB shut off a third of your playbook is not good.

As Bill Quinlan once said to Ray Nitschke, now you're talking like a champion, Waldo. I could of swore we had an argument about this a month or so ago, with you taking the opposite viewpoint. Yeah, 100% that is gonna be some trouble for Al.

When they fire zone from the other side, Al's gotta roll back, in the deep 3. He sure as hell can't play that press technique if he's on the back line. The base cover in a 3-4 isn't exactly press cover. They play off technique, but right at the line or 1 yard. It's a subtle difference, but a huge one for AH. Now Tramon prefers that kind of technique and should be comfortable in the new covers in zone and fire zone.

When you say "Blind side" I assume you mean the weak side, yes?

Waldo
04-09-2009, 11:29 AM

As Bill Quinlan once said to Ray Nitschke, now you're talking like a champion, Waldo. I could of swore we had an argument about this a month or so ago, with you taking the opposite viewpoint. Yeah, 100% that is gonna be some trouble for Al.

When they fire zone from the other side, Al's gotta roll back, in the deep 3. He sure as hell can't play that press technique if he's on the back line. The base cover in a 3-4 isn't exactly press cover. They play off technique, but right at the line or 1 yard. It's a subtle difference, but a huge one for AH. Now Tramon prefers that kind of technique and should be comfortable in the new covers in zone and fire zone.

When you say "Blind side" I assume you mean the weak side, yes?

The side where the QB would need eyes at the back of his head to see during his drop. The X receiver is almost always going to be the first read or a deep option, it is hard for him to be a second read because typically the first will be on the other side of the field, and there will be a second receiver or TE on that side as well that will be the 2nd read. There typically are not a lot of moderate depth timing routes on the backside, either fairly quick, or fairly slow. This makes Al's job easier. Bang him hard at the line and you disrupt the first read, push him toward the sideline and don't let him get past you and disrupt the deep route. Be good at those two things and you can mostly shut down an X receiver, and Al excels at those two things.

mraynrand
04-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Waldo,

Do you know if the Packers will have the OLB have responsibility for sealing the outside at the end of the line, or will the corners have to take some of that responsibility in the Packer's version of the 3-4. I seem to recall NE put the end 'seal' responsibility totally on the OLB - freeing up the corners to concentrate on coverage. What will the Packers do, and how will that affect the Harris/Williams choice?