PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Packerrats Mock Draft

packrulz
04-05-2009, 07:04 AM
2009 Packerrats Mock Draft:
I'd like to conduct a mock draft, if you'd like to participate, please select 2-3 teams, and when all 32 teams have GM's we'll go ahead and draft. No trades, (it's too complicated), and please do some research on your respective teams so you know what their needs are. No time constraints, just tell me who you want to draft and I'll type him in. I'll start off by taking the Lions 2 picks.

# 1 Detroit Lions: packrulz=QB Matt Stafford, Georgia. Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe are good but are they #1 overall pick good? Stafford was good in high school, won some big bowl games in college, and he'll be good in the NFL. He's worthy of the #1 overall pick, besides, the Lions haven't had a good QB in 20 years.

#2 St. Louis Rams:gbpackfan=OT JASON SMITH, Baylor
After releasing Orlando Pace this pick is a virtual lock to be a LT. The only real question is who the Rams have rated higher, Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe? But Jason Smith's potential is too much to pass up here. He'll be a dominating pass blocker from day 1 and his mean streak will translate in the running game nicely.

#3 Kansas City Chiefs:PackerPro42=
The Kansas City Chiefs Select Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

#4 Seattle Seahawks:wist43=Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

I thought about going a lot of different directions here; gave serious consideration to Crabtree, Orakpo and Raji.

In the end, Seattle is a long way from contending, and Hasselbeck won't be around long enough to see them back; so, even though I believe in defense first, hence the gleem in my eye for Raji and Orakpo, Monroe is the safest pick, and should be the long term answer at LT. Walter Jones is 35, and coming off microfracture surgery... so given that, Monroe may be the short term answer at LT as well.

Monroe makes the most sense here.

#5Cleveland Browns:Dylan McKay=Micheal Crabtree wide receiver Texas Tech

Cleveland would like to see some additions on defense but simply put the Browns have some question marks with Edwards. Edwards is a phenom type player but trade questions are currently attached to his name. Even if Edwards stays in cleveland getting another weapon to help out the offense will be the deciding factor. especially a receiver as polished as Crabtree.

The Browns I figured would rather load up with a player like Crabtree than take a possible risk at outside linebacker or taking Malcom Jenkins. Jenkins just isn't good enough to take with the 5th pick, in my opinion.

#6 Cincinnati Bengals:KYPack=OT Andre Smith. Both starting tackles from last year will most likely gone. The Bengals will move their LG from last year, Andrew Whitworth, to LT. Smith will be given a shot at RT, with the idea he can play LT or either guard spot, also.

There was a sports radio show on with Jerry Jones (not the Cowboy owner, another Jerry Jones) author of the Drug Store list. He is a draft consultant to the Bengals. He says the coaches and scouts mainly want an OT and are divided between Smith and Oher. The offensive coaches want Crabtree. I'm somewhat sure the Beagles will go with Smith.

#7 Oakland Raiders:chain_gang=B.J. Raji, Defensive Tackle, Boston College.

We fill he will bring a much needed push to our defensive line and take some pressure off of our talented secondary.

#8 Jacksonville Jaguars:Bretsky=With the 8th pick in the draft the Jags draft WR Jeremy Maclin

#9 Green Bay Packers:Packerrats forum poll=Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss, consensus pick from poll.

#10 San Francisco 49ers=packrulz:San Francisco would consider QB Sanchez here but might be able to get a QB later, they also need a pass rusher, Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas.

#11 Buffalo Bills:Lurker64=Robert Ayers, DE, Tenn. The Bills, going into the season had three major needs:
1) A third offensive playmaker.
2) A solution to an unsettled relationship with disgruntled pro bowl left tackle Jason Peters.
3) A pass rush.

The signing of Terrell Owens hopefully provides something to do with the ball for those situations where Lee Evans and Marshawn Lynch are bottled up, so #1 can be left for later rounds.

If Oher or Andre Smith were still on the board, the Bills would strongly consider either and look to trade Peters (negotiations with the Eagles to give up one of their first for Peters have already taken place, but I believe are contingent on the Bills being able to pick up an Oher or a Smith). I guess the solution is then to just pay Peters.

So to that end, the Bills look to address #3. Most of the pass rushers in this draft look to be sort of undersized guys who are best suited to the 3-4, and Buffalo shows no indication of wanting to abandon the 4-3. A key cog in the 4-3 defense is the superstar DE, a guy who can rush the passer and hold the point against the run and those guys are terribly, terribly rare. So to that end, the Bills take a chance (possibly a reach, but the Bills have reached before and it's worked out for them, see Donte Whitner), on Tennessee Defensive End Robert Ayers. Somewhat of a late bloomer as he didn't start until he was a senior and his college stat line isn't that encouraging as a result, but he has the frame and measurables you want and he recorded 3 sacks against elite-talent to be in the senior bowl. 4-3 stud DEs are rare enough that you have to take a flyer on one, particularly since your other needs aren't easily addressed at this spot.

#12 Denver Broncos:jmbarnes101=Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU. As of a few weeks ago defense was the number one concern for this team as they looked set on offense. Fast forward a few weeks later and afteer jettisoning their young pro-bowl QB they suddenly have a need for a franchise QB as well. With the niners not taking the player everyone expects them to, the Broncos have about four players worthy of consideration at this point. Their biggest need however is on the defensive line and with Raji gone there is only one player that will help them here.

With that being said, the Denver Broncos select the only blue chip 3-4 DE in this draft, Tyson Jackson DE - LSU. This move will bolster their front line and allow Dumervil to move to OLB with Al Wilson moving inside. They still have a lot of work to do but that pick at #18 should help them out as well and we have our fingers crossed that the player we're eyeing will be available.

#13 Washington Redskins:BallHawk=Everette Brown, DE, FSU. The Redskins are gonna go defense here. After losing some vets from last year (Taylor and Washington) they need to regroup and get some youth in there. Fat Albert can't do it all by himself.

So the decision here will be to go with either somebody to go down in the trenches with Albert or somebody to line up behind him. So it's gonna be LB or DE.

Aaron Curry is in a league of his own in terms of LBs for this draft and the next best one is among debate, although most would say Brian Cushing out of USC.

But, knowing Dan Snyder, he'll want a player who has more star potential.

Thus, the Redskins select DE Everette Brown out of FSU.

#14 New Orleans Saints:wist43=Aaron Maybin, OLB/DE, Penn State. Gave strong consideration to Larry English, but thought Maybin might be a better fit for NO b/c he seems to be the more fluid athlete and should be able to transition to OLB in the a 4-3 more easily.

Also considered Maualuga here, as NO is in need of an identity and some toughness up front, but Maybin's upside and flexibility are greater, so he was the pick.

Also consider Darrius Butler and Peria Jerry here, but NO addressed DB in FA, and Jerry has some injury concerns, so Maybin wins out.

Note: As this is a foreign term to most Packer fans, FA stands for "Free Agency"... it is a means used by some NFL teams (not the Packers) to acquire players who have previously played in the NFL for other teams.

#15 Houston Texans:texaspackerbacker=Mark Sanchez, QB, USC. With the 15th pick in the first round, the Houston Texans are pleased that the Niners and Skins passed on the guy we wanted, the latest in a long line of great USC QBs and our future QB, MARK SANCHEZ.

#16 San Diego Chargers:chain_gang=Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

This worked out great for the Chargers, while we have some decent ILB's, we lack difference makers. Rey Maualuga is just that. His value at this point in the draft, overrides more immediate team needs. Now our LB group is immediately one best in the league now with Merriman, Phillips, Cooper, and Maualuga.

Also considered were Percy Harvin WR, Florida, and William Beatty OT Connecticut.

#17 New York Jets:PackerPro42=Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland

#18 Denver Broncos:jmbarnes101=Malcolm Jenkins - DB, Ohio State.

He gives us the flexiblity needed in our shift to a 3-4 since he can effectively play both CB and S and while we don't need a starting CB right now we could use a starting Safety which is where he will line up to begin.

#19 Tampa Bay Buccaneers:mission=Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss.
The Buccaneers hoped and prayed that Sanchez would fall to them at #19 but their search for a franchise QB will have to continue (Josh Freeman was also heavily looked at). After strongly considering Cushing to replace Brooks, concerns of past steroid use in addition to the return of LB Angelo Crowell (who had a strong 07 season with the Bills) from injury have them putting this pick off for later in the draft.

Their only other unmentioned glaring need is the defensive line. Ole Miss' First team All-American, Peria Jerry, completely wowed scouts at his pro day with a 4.98 40, running faster than any other man at his size (Indy). Considered a reach by many, comparisons to Warren Sapp are just the nudge it takes to put this pick over the top in Jim Bates' new defensive scheme.

#20 Detroit Lions:ND72=Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois. Detroit could go one of 2 ways here in my opinion. They could look Offensive Tackle to protect their new #1 QB, but they could probably get the same guy they want at pick #33 in the 2nd round. So Detroit gets Defensive, and takes Vontae Davis, CB - Illionis.

#21 Philadelphia Eagles:DonHutson=Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia. The Philadelphia Eagles are linked with every WR in the draft every year, because other than the T.O. experiment they've never given McNabb a top flight target. So do they take one here? I say no. They also have needs on the OL, and like most teams they could use more playmakers on D.

When Brian Westbrook is on the field, the Eagles are as good as anyone. When he's hurt, they typically suck. Therefore, to me, the key to continued success for the Eagles is to either keep Westbrook healthy (and he's not getting any younger) or find a supplementary RB.

Beenie Wells would offer the old thunder and lightning cliche, but I think the Eagles go with Knowshon Moreno here. He can do a lot of the same things Westbrook can, with far fewer miles on the odometer.

#22 Minnesota Vikings:Bretsky=Percy Harvin, WR, Florida. The Minnesota Vikings, who consider GB their biggest rival, seriously considered going the route of OT, mainly in Eben Britton. But blocking Justine Harrell and the subpar cast of DL Green Bay currently has would stunt his growth anyways.

Instead, they go with a dynamic all around player that could fly by Al Harris with ease if he ditches the jam. And last year we saw that Bernard Berrion wasn't a ringer so the Vikes need help here.

The Minnesota Vikings select, WR Percy Harvin. Enjoy seeing him in your tracks Packer fans

#23 New England Patriots:Lurker64=Brian Cushing, OLB, USC. All of the New England Patriots championships were based on defense. Clutch, swarming, well-coached, and well-executed defense with some exceptional play in their Linebacker corps. Their failure to reach 19-0 had a lot to do with their defense being very, very old (they brought Junior Seau out of retirement, for goodness sakes). And despite hitting a home-run with Jerrod Mayo last year, they haven't gotten substantively younger.

Somewhat worrying is that the entire starting defensive line for the Pats will be a free agent next year, but most of those guys are worth paying for to retain, and there's not a lot here. Brief consideration was put towards Jarron Gilbert or Ziggy Hood to play DE, but Seymour is the best player in the league at that position, and so drafting one of those two would basically signal the departure of probably the best player on the defense.

The cornerback position is also weak, and Vontae Davis might be a Bill Bellichick pick as he has a habit of turning around reprobates (how much of a ruckus has Randy Moss made in NE?), but Detroit took him, so good luck. There's not much else here, so they can look to pick up somebody in a later round.

The thing that really needs addressing is the linebacker corps that New England built their championship team on. Mike Vrabel is a Chief, it's a miracle that Teddy Bruschi is still playing, Adalius Thomas has been somewhat disappointing, and Pierre Woods (the current replacement for Vrable) was undrafted 3 years ago and is nothing special. If Maualuga had fallen here, the Pats would have taken him as Mayo and Maualuga would be the best ILB corps in the NFL, bar none, but he's not. So the Pats look to find a younger, cheaper, replacement for Vrable or Bruschi here by drafting USC Linebacker Brian Cushing, a tough, intense, versatile and athletic linebacker who will can quickly step in to play ILB (in Bruschi's spot) or OLB (in Vrabel's old spot). Cushing is versatile and athletic, has textbook size, and is good in coverage against tight ends and running backs.

The Pats briefly considered a pass rusher like Larry English, Connor Barwin, Clay Matthews, and Clint Sintim. But considering that the Pats pick again in ten picks, it's unlikely that half of those teams are going to pick a pass rusher, so they'll just grab the best of who's left, and go for the guy with star potential here.

#24 Atlanta Falcons:3irty1=Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State.They have needs all over despite winning 11 games. Other possibilities include a DT like Peria Jerry if he falls or Ziggy Hood, or any of the USC linebackers if they fall. Supposedly they have a boner for Louis Delmas at safety too so that's a possibility. I think Pettigrew is the best player available and also fills a need.

#25Miami Dolphins:Mazzin=W.R. Kenny Britt/ Rutgers.Miami would have loved to have Percy fall to them, they think they have the qb of the future with Henne so no need to take Josh Freeman here....I think Kenny Britt with his size would fit VERY well with Ted Ginn.

#26Baltimore Ravens:Guiness=Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State. Although RB is arguably their deepest position, Beanie Wells still on the board can't be ignored.

#27 Indianapolis Colts:gbpackfan= Evander "Ziggy" Hood,DT , Missouri. The Colts are looking to replace Marvin Harrison but with The top 5 WRs off the board, they'll wait until round 2 and go after a guy like Juaquin Iglesias. This is actually a blessing in disguise because the Colts desperately need depth at the DT position. Their run D was ranked 24th last year and have lost at least 3 DTs over the past 12 months to retirement, legal issues and medical problems. With P. Jerry off the board, the Colts select the next best DT remaining (for their scheme) - Evander "Ziggy" Hood. Hood has the size and speed combination cover 2 teams love in their defensive tackles. Expect him to start from day 1.

#28Philadelphia Eagles:DonHutson=CLAY MATTHEWS (OLB) SOUTHERN CAL The Eagles need help at WR (obviously), as well as OL and I think they can use another playmaker in the defensive front seven. The top guys on the board at those positions are Hakeem Nicks, Eben Britton, and Clay Matthews. Of those three, the value pick at this point feels like Clay Matthews. He can bring some toughness and leadership to an effective, yet anonymous group.

#29 New York Giants:mission=Eben Britton OT - Arizona

#30 Tennessee Titans:Mazzin= Darius Butler CB UConn, He is a little smaller but one HELL of a player. Nick Harper is turning 35 or 36..they need help...will take BPA outta DE LB or CB

#31 Arizona Cardinals:FirstSgt= RB Donald Brown, University of Connecticut. J.J. Arrington took off for Denver and Edgerrin James may follow him out the door. Tim Hightower is proving to be most effective as a situational option. Brown led the nation in rushing in 2008 with 1,822 yards and 17 TDs.

#32 Pittsburgh Steelers:FirstSgt=C Max Unger, University of Oregon. The Steelers offensive line gave up 51 sacks and ranked 23rd in the NFL in rushing for 2008. Unger immediately upgrades the interior line and could be their opening day starter at center.

chain_gang
04-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Now this is something I can get into, Great Idea.

I'll take the Raiders, and the Chargers if that be alright.

For Green Bay's pick will we be doing a forum poll, Think it could be pretty interesting that way.

Again Great Idea.

texaspackerbacker
04-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Aw, I thought I was going to get the Packers as a reward for getting in early.

Oh well. I'll take the Cowboys and the Texans.

PackerPro42
04-05-2009, 08:05 AM
I'll take the Chiefs and Jets.

3irty1
04-05-2009, 08:09 AM
I'll do the Falcons and Panthers.

jmbarnes101
04-05-2009, 08:46 AM
This sounds like fun, I will take the Broncos.

wist43
04-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Sounds like fun :)

When do you want to do this??? And how would it work... just the 1st round???

I'll take somebody... no preference.

Bretsky
04-05-2009, 11:40 AM
I will take the Jaguars and Vikings

KYPack
04-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Bengals.

Just the first round, eh?

mission
04-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Ill take the Bucs and NYG.. sounds fun

packrulz
04-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Now this is something I can get into, Great Idea.

I'll take the Raiders, and the Chargers if that be alright.

For Green Bay's pick will we be doing a forum poll, Think it could be pretty interesting that way.

Again Great Idea.
Thanks, good idea about the poll, I already did one in this thread: http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=17068
so I'll stick to that for the Pack.

packrulz
04-05-2009, 04:35 PM

Sorry, the Cowpokes must've traded their first (for Pacman Jones?), so I gave you the Redskins instead since they're arch rivals.

packrulz
04-05-2009, 04:37 PM
I'll do the Falcons and Panthers.
Sorry, the Panthers don't have a first rounder either, so I gave you the 49ers instead.

3irty1
04-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Oops you caught me. Panthers have no first round pick. I'll keep with the Falcons and 49ers thanks.

packrulz
04-05-2009, 04:41 PM

There's no need to hurry so no time constraints, we can do another round or two if everyone wants to. I gave you the Seahawks and the Saints, draft well!

DonHutson
04-05-2009, 04:42 PM
I can do the Browns and Eagles if they aren't taken. Or just the Eagles since they're picking twice. Either way.

Mazzin
04-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Can I have the Dolphins and Titans??

Lurker64
04-05-2009, 05:35 PM
I'll take the Bills and the Pats.

BZnDallas
04-05-2009, 05:42 PM

Sorry, the Cowpokes must've traded their first (for Pacman Jones?), so I gave you the Redskins instead since they're arch rivals.

if memory servers me correctly... the cowbitches gave up their first rounder (no. 20) as part of the trade to the lions for Roy 'i'm a wide reciever' Williams... :wink:

gbpackfan
04-05-2009, 05:56 PM
I want in! I'll take the Rams and anyone else. Actually, if the Rams are taken just give me any teams. Thanks.

wist43
04-05-2009, 09:04 PM

There's no need to hurry so no time constraints, we can do another round or two if everyone wants to. I gave you the Seahawks and the Saints, draft well!

Cool, two teams I know nothing about, :lol:

I'll do a little research into their needs... :D

Dylan McKay
04-05-2009, 09:09 PM
I will take the Bills at #11, if they are not availble I would like to take the Patriots at 23.

Thanks

Guiness
04-05-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm in for the Bills

packrulz
04-06-2009, 05:50 AM
I gave DonHutson both Eagles picks, I gave Mazzin the Dolphins & Titans, I gave Lurker64 the Bills & Pats, I gave gbpackfan the Rams & Colts, I gave Dylan McKay the Browns, and I gave Guiness the Ravens. I couldn't give Dylan & Guiness the teams they wanted, they were already taken. Sorry.

packrulz
04-06-2009, 06:29 AM

if memory servers me correctly... the cowbitches gave up their first rounder (no. 20) as part of the trade to the lions for Roy 'i'm a wide reciever' Williams... :wink:
That's right, I forgot. Thanks.

packrulz
04-06-2009, 06:31 AM
Here's a site with analysis of all the players at the combine: http://www.nfl.com/combine

gbpackfan
04-06-2009, 07:14 AM
As soon as I see Detroit's pick, I will post my choice for St. Louis. It will probably be this afternoon (if Det. pick is up).

FirstSgt
04-06-2009, 07:24 AM
I know I don't post much but I have been with this site since the beginning. If Arizona and Pit are still open I would like to take them.

texaspackerbacker
04-06-2009, 09:19 AM

That's right, I forgot. Thanks.

Good Point. I forgot too.

I'll pass on the Redskins and let somebody who cares about them have them.

BallHawk
04-06-2009, 10:25 AM
I'll take whatever team, if any, is left.

Guiness
04-06-2009, 10:44 AM
um, no one wanted either of the super bowl teams???

I'm ok with the Ravens, and will sort them out. I wanted the Bills, because they're the closest thing I've got to a home town team, and get some local news on them.

Dylan McKay
04-06-2009, 10:48 AM
i see that several posters have more than one team if someone was willing to give one up I would sure like to participate.

ND72
04-06-2009, 02:34 PM
After spending all of last week in Tampa Bay for the National Physical Education conference, I'd have to say I'd be ok with Tampa Bay.

Tampa Bay, San Diego, or Arizona would be ok with me.

few weeks ago I made myself an OLB on Madden '09, hoping Green Bay would draft me...I ran a 4.03 40 time... :lol: thought that was pretty awesome. But Houston took me...stayed there for 3 years, then left in Free Agency, hoping Green Bay would then want me....Only Detroit, Chicago, & Minnesota had interest in me, so I signed with Chicago, and because a 5 time Defensive Player of the Year, and 9 time Pro-Bowler...won 3 Super Bowls also.

Only time you could have heard me say "screw you ted thompson"

packrulz
04-06-2009, 03:29 PM
I know I don't post much but I have been with this site since the beginning. If Arizona and Pit are still open I would like to take them.
You got them Sarge, welcome, and thank you for serving our country.

packrulz
04-06-2009, 03:30 PM
I'll take whatever team, if any, is left.
I'll give you the Redskins, texaspackerbacker doesn't want them.

packrulz
04-06-2009, 03:32 PM
um, no one wanted either of the super bowl teams???

I'm ok with the Ravens, and will sort them out. I wanted the Bills, because they're the closest thing I've got to a home town team, and get some local news on them.
Lurker64 might trade with you?

packrulz
04-06-2009, 03:34 PM
i see that several posters have more than one team if someone was willing to give one up I would sure like to participate.
Dylan, I did give you the Cleveland Browns.

packrulz
04-06-2009, 03:44 PM
After spending all of last week in Tampa Bay for the National Physical Education conference, I'd have to say I'd be ok with Tampa Bay.

Tampa Bay, San Diego, or Arizona would be ok with me.

few weeks ago I made myself an OLB on Madden '09, hoping Green Bay would draft me...I ran a 4.03 40 time... :lol: thought that was pretty awesome. But Houston took me...stayed there for 3 years, then left in Free Agency, hoping Green Bay would then want me....Only Detroit, Chicago, & Minnesota had interest in me, so I signed with Chicago, and because a 5 time Defensive Player of the Year, and 9 time Pro-Bowler...won 3 Super Bowls also.

Only time you could have heard me say "screw you ted thompson"
ND72, we're full so I gave you one of my picks, Detroit Lions #20, hey, they were interested in you on Madden. :lol:

packrulz
04-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Ok,we're full now so I'll kick off the draft for the #1 overall pick, then the St. Louis Rams (gbpackfan) is on the clock.

gbpackfan
04-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Ok,we're full now so I'll kick off the draft for the #1 overall pick, then the St. Louis Rams (gbpackfan) is on the clock.

With the 2nd overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the St. Louis Rams select........

OT JASON SMITH, Baylor

After releasing Orlando Pace this pick is a virtual lock to be a LT. The only real question is who the Rams have rated higher, Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe? But Jason Smith's potential is too much to pass up here. He'll be a dominating pass blocker from day 1 and his mean streak will translate in the running game nicely.

PackerPro42
04-06-2009, 05:09 PM
With the 3rd pick in the 2009 NFL Draft...

The Kansas City Chiefs Select Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

wist43
04-06-2009, 09:21 PM
With the 4th pick in the 2009 PR mock draft, the Seattle Seahawks select:

Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

I thought about going a lot of different directions here; gave serious consideration to Crabtree, Orakpo and Raji.

In the end, Seattle is a long way from contending, and Hasselbeck won't be around long enough to see them back; so, even though I believe in defense first, hence the gleem in my eye for Raji and Orakpo, Monroe is the safest pick, and should be the long term answer at LT. Walter Jones is 35, and coming off microfracture surgery... so given that, Monroe may be the short term answer at LT as well.

Monroe makes the most sense here.

packrulz
04-07-2009, 05:31 AM
Dylan McKay, you're on the clock at #5 for the Cleveland Browns.

Dylan McKay
04-07-2009, 02:58 PM
With the 5th pick in the 2009 draft the Cleveland Browns select Micheal Crabtree wide receiver Texas Tech

Cleveland would like to see some additions on defense but simply put the Browns have some question marks with Edwards. Edwards is a phenom type player but trade questions are currently attached to his name. Even if Edwards stays in cleveland getting another weapon to help out the offense will be the deciding factor. especially a receiver as polished as Crabtree.

The Browns I figured would rather load up with a player like Crabtree than take a possible risk at outside linebacker or taking Malcom Jenkins. Jenkins just isn't good enough to take with the 5th pick, in my opinion.

KYPack
04-07-2009, 03:57 PM
With the 6th pick in the NFL draft, Cincinnati Bengals select OT Andre Smith. Both starting tackles from last year will most likely gone. The Bengals will move their LG from last year, Andrew Whitworth, to LT. Smith will be given a shot at RT, with the idea he can play LT or either guard spot, also.

There was a sports radio show on with Jerry Jones (not the Cowboy owner, another Jerry Jones) author of the Drug Store list. He is a draft consultant to the Bengals. He says the coaches and scouts mainly want an OT and are divided between Smith and Oher. The offensive coaches want Crabtree. I'm somewhat sure the Beagles will go with Smith.

Fritz
04-07-2009, 04:38 PM
"Uhm, hello? Al Davis? This is Matt Millen. Yeah, they fired me, but I've been doing some consulting work for them. That's why I'm calling. I've been authorized to send you the Lions' #20 overall pick, plus our first pick in the second round, plus both picks we have in the third, plus our second next year, so we can pick Jeremy Maclin. Whaddya say, Al?"

packrulz
04-07-2009, 06:07 PM
chain_gang is on the clock

chain_gang
04-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Seeing as Michael Crabtree is off of the board, We go to our biggest shortcoming here and that's the play of our defensive line last season.

We have never replaced Warren Sapp, but we get our chance now.....

With the 7th overall pick the Oakland Raiders select....
B.J. Raji, Defensive Tackle, Boston College.

We fill he will bring a much needed push to our defensive line and take some pressure off of our talented secondary.

Jacksonville is now on the clock....

Bretsky
04-07-2009, 08:30 PM
The Jags need playmaker; their WR's suck in a nutshell. They would have nabbed Raji if available. With him off the board they nab the best playmaker left. A speed burner who could be a gam changer

NOTE; IF I WERE THE JAGS GM I'D BE TRADING DOWN TO GET AN EXTRA PICK AND THIS PLAYMAKER

But this will leave plenty of debate for Green Bay

With the 8th pick in the draft the Jags draft WR Jeremy Maclin

KYPack
04-07-2009, 08:39 PM
A 3 page thread where everybody gets along?

Bullshit!

It can't happen here.

Partial
04-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Pack on the clock... who's it gonna be?

Lurker64
04-07-2009, 09:04 PM
How are we going to organize the forum poll? Should someone make a poll in another thread, or should we just have people say who they want, with the board the way it is (Stafford, J. Smith, Curry, Monroe, Crabtree, A. Smith, Raji, and Maclin off the board) in here and decide that people have until (set time) to vote?

I'd think that the most probable picks for the Packers at this point would be: Jenkins, Orakpo, Maybin, Brown, Jackson, or Oher. But would we want to include "out of knowhere" options like Wells or Hood?

Bretsky
04-07-2009, 09:11 PM
A 3 page thread where everybody gets along?

Bullshit!

It can't happen here.

Ah, time to fight about who GB takes; I was tempted to pick Orakpo for the Jags but I wanted to let him be part of the debate

I wanted Crabtree but somebody already snabbed him

Lurker64
04-07-2009, 09:14 PM
I wanted Crabtree but somebody already snabbed him

I think that Maclin was the right pick for Jax with the board the way it was. Jacksonville's biggest needs were DT (Raji is gone), OT (none of the tier one guys but Oher left), and WR. Maclin is a solid option for them, though the Jags have really terrible luck drafting WRs.

Orakpo wouldn't have been a good pick for Jacksonville since they just took Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves last year, they probably have enough pass rushers.

texaspackerbacker
04-07-2009, 09:27 PM
I think it's highly likely the Packers would take Oher in this scenario. That's my vote, anyway.

packrulz
04-08-2009, 06:33 AM
I already conducted a poll, 40 votes: http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=17068
Raji has been taken, so the next option is "None Of The Above", ruling out Brown, Jenkins, and Maybin (who I would've taken), I like Oher but all the defensive players are still on the board except for Raji and Curry, so I'll go with Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois. I saw him at the combine with his shirt off and that dude is cut, he's faster than Jenkins, and I think he's the best DB in the draft. Woodson and Harris are getting old, so it makes sense to me. He's the brother of SF TE Vernon Davis. http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/i/20070929/vontae-davis-549.jpg
http://blogs.dailyillini.com/sports/files/2008/08/vontae-1.jpg
San Fran is on the clock.

Fritz
04-08-2009, 06:49 AM
If Orakpo's still there, I have a sneaking suspicion the Pack will take him if TT can't trade down.

Wouldn't it be crazy though if he took Sanchez?

ND72
04-08-2009, 07:22 AM
If Orakpo's still there, I have a sneaking suspicion the Pack will take him if TT can't trade down.

Wouldn't it be crazy though if he took Sanchez?

If Sanchez is still there, I think TT takes full advantage of trade scenerio. I personally think we'd take Orakpo, but wouldn't mind seeing a trade down for some big time value. Of course I said that about Brady Quinn.....thank you Justin Harrell.

jmbarnes101
04-08-2009, 08:09 AM
No offense meant but there is no way that TT takes Davis at any point in the first round. How does a poll that doesn't include all the actual players available and done for different purposes lead to a drafting of Davis? I don't get it.

Davis may have talent but he's a malcontent just like VD, tought to coach, and not the kind of person TT wants on this team. Why isn't there a new poll done with the actual people that are available? Oher, Orakpo, Jenkins, Brown, Maybin and a few others would be the likely candidates for drafting.

texaspackerbacker
04-08-2009, 08:27 AM
I like the idea of drafting Davis--I like him much better than anybody available in this mock except Oher--about equal with Jenkins--Jenkins more polished, Davis maybe more potential.

Just the same, I have to agree with others, taking him at this point is unrealistic as something Thompson would do. A vote among the players available now is a better way to decide.

KYPack
04-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Yeah, I thought we'd embed the poll at the 9th pick and do a "group hug" to come up with the Rat pick.

Tex, you must be way off, I agree with you. I think they'd snap Oher up at this point.. I think they take the tackle the Bengals don't take at 6.

FirstSgt
04-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Running another poll means the Packers are not ready to make a pick and other teams are ready to run to the podium with their pick.

wist43
04-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Where's the poll???

If we're just going by posting on here...

Put me down for 1) Orakpo, 2) Oher

wist43
04-08-2009, 09:15 AM
I think it's highly likely the Packers would take Oher in this scenario. That's my vote, anyway.

Tex, I just saw your tagline...

You're the one who pasted me with the title, "the great Satan of all detractors" :thank:

That's a bit extreme, don't you think, :lol:

3irty1
04-08-2009, 09:18 AM
We need to have a real poll before I pick. I'm pretty sure that Orakpo would get about 10x more votes than Davis.

KYPack
04-08-2009, 10:23 AM
We need to have a real poll before I pick. I'm pretty sure that Orakpo would get about 10x more votes than Davis.

I knew things were too harmonious.

Yeah, let's poll.

Wist, How 'bout "The Little Devil of all Detractors"?

ND72
04-08-2009, 10:41 AM
The more I think on stuff, the more I could totally see us taking any of the 3 Tackles if any are there. I really like Orakpo, and I still see the possibility of us trading down if Sanchez is there, but I think Teddy might fall in love with some guys, and take his guy if he's there.

gbpackfan
04-08-2009, 10:52 AM
The Packers picked Davis?

HONESTLY, no offense to whoever made that pick, but I don't like it. In fact, I hate it. Sorry. But V. Davis is an over-rated headcase and the Pack has much bigger needs then CB. He isn't even BPA IMO.

But that is just my opinion, which means little to nothing.

3irty1
04-08-2009, 10:54 AM
I went ahead and made a poll. Find your guy.

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=17224

wist43
04-08-2009, 12:14 PM

I knew things were too harmonious.

Yeah, let's poll.

Wist, How 'bout "The Little Devil of all Detractors"?

"The Great Satan" moniker brings back fond memories of previous battles :duel:

Like a spitball between the eyes... got such a kick out of it, that I wear the crown proudly :)

Lurker64
04-08-2009, 12:18 PM
I don't think it's reasonable to rely on the results from a poll taken nearly a month ago. Green Bay would never take Davis at this point in the draft. I suggest a new poll.

Plus, if you're going to go with "none of the above", why pick Davis over all the other people who were not mentioned (Oher wasn't on the list, Malcom Jenkins wasn't on the list, Tyson Jackson wasn't on the list, Ziggy Hood wasn't on the list...)

Plus, by not having a new poll, you're disenfranchising all of the Raji voters who, if Raji was not there, might have all voted for Orakpo or one of the other names on there.

I'm not buying the Davis pick. We need to have a new poll.

HarveyWallbangers
04-08-2009, 12:32 PM
No offense meant but there is no way that TT takes Davis at any point in the first round. How does a poll that doesn't include all the actual players available and done for different purposes lead to a drafting of Davis? I don't get it.

I'm with you on that one.

Lurker64
04-08-2009, 12:49 PM
I think we should make this poll (http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=17224) the official one, and let it run for a day or so.

It is interesting to note that of the 10 votes already cast at this point, nobody wants Vontae Davis.

Gunakor
04-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I think we should make this poll (http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=17224) the official one, and let it run for a day or so.

It is interesting to note that of the 10 votes already cast at this point, nobody wants Vontae Davis.

It's not Davis specifically, at least not to me. I don't want to see a CB drafted with the first pick, regardless who it is. Al and Chuck are the starters, T-Will is the nickel. Our top ten draft pick would be playing only dimeback and ST's barring injury. Furthermore, it would signal after just one season that they've given up on Pat Lee, meaning that 2nd round pick last season is a waste. We have enough talented CB's on the roster that we don't need to use #9 overall on another one, and I'd be more than disappointed if we did.

packrulz
04-08-2009, 02:35 PM
I put Oher in as the Packers pick, he seems to be the consensus pick, according to the poll. For the record. San Fran is on the clock.

Fritz
04-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Okay, so is Oher the pick? Can we start 37 threads bitching about TT's pick now, and his incompetence in general? Can we, can we, huh huh?

packrulz
04-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Okay, so is Oher the pick? Can we start 37 threads bitching about TT's pick now, and his incompetence in general? Can we, can we, huh huh?
Good one Fritz! Hee-hee :lol:

texaspackerbacker
04-08-2009, 05:21 PM

You're the one who pasted me with the title, "the great Satan of all detractors" :thank:

I don't think I said that, wist, but then I'm old, so I might have said it and since forgotten.

How long ago am I supposed to have said it?

wist43
04-08-2009, 07:10 PM

I don't think I said that, wist, but then I'm old, so I might have said it and since forgotten.

How long ago am I supposed to have said it?

Back in our days at the old JSO site, must be 4-5 years ago now... I remember it well, got a great laugh out of that one Tex :lol:

We all love our Packers passionately, and it is great fun to argue points of view :glug:

wist43
04-08-2009, 07:14 PM
I would be okay with the Oher pick... given the way our draft has gone, he was my #2 choice; however,

Orakpo is a potential difference maker in the front seven on defense, and those guys don't come along every day... so, while he has a bigger chance of busting, I think he should have been the pick.

Bretsky
04-08-2009, 07:16 PM
First off it the draft fell like this I'd be shopping to trade down. I'd agree with Orakpo if this was left

gbpackfan
04-09-2009, 12:17 PM
At the rate this mock is going, the real draft will be over and we'll be projecting pick #20.

Guiness
04-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Well, are we settled on GB's pick? Can 3irty1 pick for SF now? (maybe he'll grab Vernon's brother :lol: )

gbpackfan
04-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Well, are we settled on GB's pick? Can 3irty1 pick for SF now? (maybe he'll grab Vernon's brother :lol: )

Someone should have been assigned GB's pick. There is no way 100's of Packer fans can agree on one pick. But I think Oher is the guy and I'd be fine with that!

BallHawk
04-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Below is a 5-minute vid on Oher's life. Amazing to see where he is now to how he was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FhlbsJUJ9Q&feature=player_embedded

That being said, I'd still rather have Orakpo.

packrulz
04-09-2009, 03:31 PM
3irty1, it's time to make your pick...

DonHutson
04-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Can I ask that after somebody makes their pick, they PM or email the person picking next? Might move things along faster if people (like me, potentially) let their attention drift.

packrulz
04-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Can I ask that after somebody makes their pick, they PM or email the person picking next? Might move things along faster if people (like me, potentially) let their attention drift.
I did PM him, if he doesn't pick soon, I'll pick in his place.

KYPack
04-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Small point here, but...

The Bengals will probably trade Chad Johnson to the Eagles.

Anybody think the Pack would take Andre Smith instead of Oher in that event?

I really don't know.

Joemailman
04-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Andre may have eaten his way out of LT consideration. I guess that would make choosing between them an Eater/Oher situation.

Lurker64
04-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Andre may have eaten his way out of LT consideration. I guess that would make choosing between them an Eater/Oher situation.

http://www.instantrimshot.com/

packrulz
04-10-2009, 05:52 AM
We've been waiting since Wednesday for 3irty1 to make his pick so time is up.
San Francisco would consider QB Sanchez here but might be able to get a QB later, they also need a pass rusher, Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas.
Buffalo Bills is on the clock.

texaspackerbacker
04-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Small point here, but...

The Bengals will probably trade Chad Johnson to the Eagles.

Anybody think the Pack would take Andre Smith instead of Oher in that event?

I really don't know.

I hope so, but I don't think so.

If both A. Smith and Oher are available at #9, I'd prefer Smith. He reminds me of Grady Jackson. Grady was more effective when he was way overweight. When he slimmed down a little bit, he was less effective.

Looking at Andre Smith's body/profile/whatever, he doesn't seem to fit the modern mold, even of an O Lineman. However, on the football field--as opposed to the weight room or the track or doing calisthenics, he may just be the best of the top four.

Lurker64
04-10-2009, 11:37 AM
We've been waiting since Wednesday for 3irty1 to make his pick so time is up.
San Francisco would consider QB Sanchez here but might be able to get a QB later, they also need a pass rusher, Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas.
Buffalo Bills is on the clock.

So the Niners took Orakpo?

Assuming that, I'll pick for the Bills

The Bills, going into the season had three major needs:
1) A third offensive playmaker.
2) A solution to an unsettled relationship with disgruntled pro bowl left tackle Jason Peters.
3) A pass rush.

The signing of Terrell Owens hopefully provides something to do with the ball for those situations where Lee Evans and Marshawn Lynch are bottled up, so #1 can be left for later rounds.

If Oher or Andre Smith were still on the board, the Bills would strongly consider either and look to trade Peters (negotiations with the Eagles to give up one of their first for Peters have already taken place, but I believe are contingent on the Bills being able to pick up an Oher or a Smith). I guess the solution is then to just pay Peters.

So to that end, the Bills look to address #3. Most of the pass rushers in this draft look to be sort of undersized guys who are best suited to the 3-4, and Buffalo shows no indication of wanting to abandon the 4-3. A key cog in the 4-3 defense is the superstar DE, a guy who can rush the passer and hold the point against the run and those guys are terribly, terribly rare. So to that end, the Bills take a chance (possibly a reach, but the Bills have reached before and it's worked out for them, see Donte Whitner), on Tennessee Defensive End Robert Ayers. Somewhat of a late bloomer as he didn't start until he was a senior and his college stat line isn't that encouraging as a result, but he has the frame and measurables you want and he recorded 3 sacks against elite-talent to be in the senior bowl. 4-3 stud DEs are rare enough that you have to take a flyer on one, particularly since your other needs aren't easily addressed at this spot.

Here are some Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccuoGx3A6t4) of Ayers against Alabama, a team with some talent on their offensive line.

Broncos Ahoy!

KYPack
04-10-2009, 11:42 AM
The derned NFL will fold before we get this sumbitch done!

jmbarnes101
04-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Great analysis Lurker and our first real surprise of the draft but a guy that seems to be moving up as of late.

As of a few weeks ago defense was the number one concern for this team as they looked set on offense. Fast forward a few weeks later and afteer jettisoning their young pro-bowl QB they suddenly have a need for a franchise QB as well. With the niners not taking the player everyone expects them to, the Broncos have about four players worthy of consideration at this point. Their biggest need however is on the defensive line and with Raji gone there is only one player that will help them here.

With that being said, the Denver Broncos select the only blue chip 3-4 DE in this draft, Tyson Jackson DE - LSU. This move will bolster their front line and allow Dumervil to move to OLB with D.J. Williams moving inside. We still have a lot of work to do but that pick at #18 should help us out as well and we have our fingers crossed that the player we're eyeing will be available.

The Redskins are up.

Edited to change to the LB that didn't retire. Not sure what I was thinking.

BallHawk
04-10-2009, 04:33 PM
The Redskins are gonna go defense here. After losing some vets from last year (Taylor and Washington) they need to regroup and get some youth in there. Fat Albert can't do it all by himself.

So the decision here will be to go with either somebody to go down in the trenches with Albert or somebody to line up behind him. So it's gonna be LB or DE.

Aaron Curry is in a league of his own in terms of LBs for this draft and the next best one is among debate, although most would say Brian Cushing out of USC.

But, knowing Dan Snyder, he'll want a player who has more star potential.

Thus, the Redskins select DE Everette Brown out of FSU.

wist43
04-10-2009, 06:57 PM
okay... im on it :D

give me a few to ponder it... will pick in a bit :)

KYPack
04-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Get hot, Wist,

Good God, man, think positive, er negative & make a selection.

wist43
04-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Well, after not enough due consideration, the New Orleans Saints select with the 14th pick:

Aaron Maybin, OLB/DE, Penn State

Gave strong consideration to Larry English, but thought Maybin might be a better fit for NO b/c he seems to be the more fluid athlete and should be able to transition to OLB in the a 4-3 more easily.

Also considered Maualuga here, as NO is in need of an identity and some toughness up front, but Maybin's upside and flexibility are greater, so he was the pick.

Also consider Darrius Butler and Peria Jerry here, but NO addressed DB in FA, and Jerry has some injury concerns, so Maybin wins out.

Note: As this is a foreign term to most Packer fans, FA stands for "Free Agency"... it is a means used by some NFL teams (not the Packers) to acquire players who have previously played in the NFL for other teams :D

texaspackerbacker
04-10-2009, 10:32 PM
You sure took your sweet time, wist.

With the 15th pick in the first round, the Houston Texans are pleased that the Niners and Skins passed on the guy we wanted, the latest in a long line of great USC QBs and our future QB, MARK SANCHEZ.

packrulz
04-11-2009, 05:32 AM
Good job people, we're moving right along. San Diego Chargers is on the clock.

* ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. agrees on Raji at No. 9 (and plenty of people, I'm sure, wouldn't say that's a good thing).

* Todd McShay from ESPN and Scouts Inc. makes it three for Raji.

* The four mock drafts updated this week at CBSSports.com reveal four wildly different picks: Ohio State RB Chris "Beanie" Wells (really?), Texas DE/OLB Brian Orakpo, Maybin and Florida State OLB/DE Everette Brown. (For the record, I think Pete Prisco knows the most of the guys, and he had Raji going to Oakland at No. 7 and the Packers picking Maybin.)

* Chris Steuber from Scout.com sends Brown to Green Bay, too.

wist43
04-11-2009, 06:20 AM
Be happy with Raji or Orakpo...

Coming around a little bit on Jackson, but only b/c I think they'll be in a 4-3 as much as a 3-4... they simply don't have the personnel for a 3-4, and TT probably won't draft for it - afterall, "we don't have any needs", lol.

An OT makes sense, so I'm alright with any of the top OT's, sans A. Smith.

And don't want Brown... has the look of a typical FSU DE.

packrulz
04-11-2009, 06:31 AM
8 OT's were taken in the first round last year, (Branden Albert was moved to OT for the Chiefs), so OT is a hot commodity, you must protect the QB.

chain_gang
04-11-2009, 08:15 AM
With the number 16 pick in the 2009 NFL draft the San Diego Chargers select....

Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

This worked out great for the Chargers, while we have some decent ILB's, we lack difference makers. Rey Maualuga is just that. His value at this point in the draft, overrides more immediate team needs. Now our LB group is immediately one best in the league now with Merriman, Phillips, Cooper, and Maualuga.

Also considered were Percy Harvin WR, Florida, and William Beatty OT Connecticut.

The New York Jets are now on the clock...

ND72
04-11-2009, 11:21 AM
I decided to post where we're at....I never saw the official name taken #1, but I'm assuming...

#1 - Lions - Matthew Stafford
#2 - Rams - Jason Smith
#3 - Chiefs - Aaron Curry
#4 - Seahawks - Eugene Monroe
#5 - Browns - Michael Crabtree
#6 - Bengals - Andrea Smith
#7 - Raiders - B.J. Raji
#8 - Jags - Jeremy Maclin
#9 - Packers - Michael Oher
#10 - 49ers - Brian Orakpo
#11 - Bills - Robert Ayers
#12 - Broncos - Tyson Jackson
#13 - Redskins - Everette Brown
#14 - Saints - Aaron Maybin
#15 - Texans - Mark Sanchez
#16 - Chargers - Rey Maualaga

#17 Jets are on the clock

At this rate, we might be done by draft day!

wist43
04-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Hope it doesn't fall that way... think A. Smith has flubbered his way out of the top 10. Don't know if Ayers has earned his way up that high.

Thinking TT will go OT, or Jackson though.

Lurker64
04-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Don't know if Ayers has earned his way up that high.

Well, Mike Mayock (one of the finest draft analysts out there) is on record as saying "In two to three years Robert Ayers will be the best Defensive Player from this years draft", and he's definitely the top prototypical 4-3 DE (he's bigger and stouter than any of the tweeners, and he's a better pass rusher than Jackson). Your 4-3 DE prototypes are incredibly hard to find, and there really wasn't much else there that was going to help the Bills immediately (the Owens signing points me to thinking that they're in a "win-now" mode).

I stand by the pick, but the ideal situation for the Bills is to snag Oher or Andre Smith at #11, ship Peters off to Philadelphia for #21 or #28, and grab a pass rusher there, but all four tackles were gone, and Eben Britton is a huge reach at #11.

KYPack
04-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Well, Mike Mayock (one of the finest draft analysts out there) is on record as saying "In two to three years Robert Ayers will be the best Defensive Player from this years draft", and he's definitely the top prototypical 4-3 DE (he's bigger and stouter than any of the tweeners, and he's a better pass rusher than Jackson). Your 4-3 DE prototypes are incredibly hard to find, and there really wasn't much else there that was going to help the Bills immediately (the Owens signing points me to thinking that they're in a "win-now" mode).

We are the proof of that statement. We had NOBODY at RDE by the end last year. Montgomery and Thompson seem to be a few years away (if ever). 4-3 DE's are like hens teeth. You can find college DT's to play DE in a 3-4. For that main reason, I'm glad we made the switch.

Partial
04-11-2009, 01:56 PM
From what I'm reading on Ayers, Mayock (whom I trust very much) loves him, and has him rated as the fifth best player in the draft, and seems to think he can be quite good as an OLB with his agility and speed.

You think he's a possibility at 9? He's got great size, and Tennessee has a knack for producing good linemen imo.

Lurker64
04-11-2009, 03:10 PM
From what I'm reading on Ayers, Mayock (whom I trust very much) loves him, and has him rated as the fifth best player in the draft, and seems to think he can be quite good as an OLB with his agility and speed.

You think he's a possibility at 9? He's got great size, and Tennessee has a knack for producing good linemen imo.

If we were staying with the 4-3, I'd say he'd be a possibility, but as things stand, we wouldn't take him. He's not stout enough to play 5-technique, and he's not a good enough pass rusher to be OLB. His niche is that he's the rare sort of player who is both good at rushing the passer and stout against the run, and the 4-3 D runs on that sort of superstar who is good at two unrelated tasks.

I would say Ayers scores about a 7.5/10 against the run and a 6/10 as a pass rusher (numbers extracted from ass to illustrate a point). If we were taking a DE, we'd be better served to take a guy like Tyson Jackson who's about an 9/10 against the run and about 5/10 as a pass rusher, since Jackson's advantage as an "at the point defender" is more valuable as a 5-technique DE. If we were taking an OLB, we'd be better suited to take someone who is a better pass rusher, at the expense of being less stout against the run (like Orakpo or Maybin). Ayers could help us, but not as much as he could help a 4-3 team and not as much as another player we could pick at that spot.

The rule of thumb is really that a guy who can do one thing really really well is more valuable to a 3-4 team, where a guy who can do several unrelated tasks each very well is more valuable to a 4-3 team.

The Shadow
04-11-2009, 03:55 PM

I think Ayers has that definite TT surprise pick mojo going for him.

wist43
04-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Don't know if Ayers has earned his way up that high.

I stand by the pick, but the ideal situation for the Bills is to snag Oher or Andre Smith at #11, ship Peters off to Philadelphia for #21 or #28, and grab a pass rusher there, but all four tackles were gone, and Eben Britton is a huge reach at #11.

I'll look at Ayers some more... I can be won over :)

3irty1
04-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Sorry for being slow gentlemen. You picked the same guy I would have though.

I like everybodys pick but ours!

KYPack
04-11-2009, 06:25 PM
PackerPro42 Yer on the clock.

31, you got the Panthers?

Do they have a first round pick?

Bretsky
04-11-2009, 07:04 PM
THE NFC NORTH CHAMPIONS ARE LICKING THEIR CHOPS IN WAITING

Mazzin
04-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Jets up?

If not DENVER?

KYPack
04-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah Mazzin.

#17 New York Jets:PackerPro42 = On the Clock

The boys got to ramblin' there for a bit.

packrulz
04-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Yeah Mazzin.

#17 New York Jets:PackerPro42 = On the Clock

The boys got to ramblin' there for a bit.
I did PM PackerPro42, but it is Easter and all.

texaspackerbacker
04-12-2009, 08:26 PM

We are the proof of that statement. We had NOBODY at RDE by the end last year. Montgomery and Thompson seem to be a few years away (if ever). 4-3 DE's are like hens teeth. You can find college DT's to play DE in a 3-4. For that main reason, I'm glad we made the switch.

Good Observation, KYP.

I think we will ultimately find that the same is true for OLBs and NT, maybe even ILBs compared to 4-3 positions.

Lurker64
04-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Good Observation, KYP.

I think we will ultimately find that the same is true for OLBs and NT, maybe even ILBs compared to 4-3 positions.

The key difference is that the odd thing about NTs, is that if you get a good one they tend to play forever (in part because their snaps are so limited, as they sit out in passing situations).

The thing about developing OLBs is absolutely true. Almost no college teams play the 3-4 defense, so you're forced to either take smallish athletic DEs and try to teach them to cover or take college OLBs and try to teach them to be great pass rushers. In almost every case it's going to take a few years, but some guys are quicker on the uptake than others. The advantage though, is that you can get guys in the later rounds who turn out to be great at it with a few years of coaching (Joey Porter was a 3rd round draft pick, James Harrison was undrafted), since there are almost no college players who are ready to step in and play 3-4 OLB right away.

With Greene as our OLB coach, I have a lot of faith in his ability to play the position. He knew absolutely every trick in the book, invented several new ones, and was reliably technique perfect game after game, which is how he was one of the best pass rushers in NFL history, up there with guys who were significantly more physically gifted. If I wanted to know anything about how to play OLB in the 3-4, I would ask Kevin Greene.

PackerPro42
04-12-2009, 09:53 PM
The Jets will take DHB, WR, Maryland

packrulz
04-13-2009, 05:34 AM
The Broncos are on the clock.

BallHawk
04-13-2009, 08:13 AM
The Denver Broncos forfeit their 1st round pick in order to sign 5 more free agents.

KYPack
04-13-2009, 08:20 AM

For non draftniks (like me) That's
Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland

pbmax
04-13-2009, 08:51 AM
(numbers extracted from ass to illustrate a point)This is now my favorite ratings system, bar none. :lol:

jmbarnes101
04-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Sorry for the lengthy delay. I don't have access to e-mail from work and I didn't see the last post before I went to bed.

We watched Rey Maualuga and Mark Sanchez come off the board which is the two players we most wanted but there is still some quality players left so we'll just switch directions.

Anyways, with this pick we have a lot of different options we can choose from, we could go with the top RB (Beanie Wells) or a good QB (Josh Freeman). However, we still need a lot of help on defense so we choose to go in that direction. There still isn't any frontline help available so our choice comes down to LB or CB/S. We are looking at either Brian Cushing or Malcolm Jenkins as both would help us a great deal but here is where our needs meet up with BPA and we welcome the addition of .... Malcolm Jenkins - DB, Ohio State.

He gives us the flexiblity needed in our shift to a 3-4 since he can effectively play both CB and S and while we don't need a starting CB right now we could use a starting Safety which is where he will line up to begin.

Tampa Bay is on the clock.

Guiness
04-13-2009, 05:21 PM

You bastard.

Sincerely,
The Ravens Management

Partial
04-13-2009, 05:44 PM

You bastard.

Sincerely,
The Ravens Management

:lol:

packrulz
04-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Tampa Bay is on the clock.

ND72
04-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Who's got Tampa?

KYPack
04-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Who's got Tampa?

Mish (mission).

He was probably in the studio last night, reading his Bible and drinking ice water.

10 days to go, think we'll get this puppy done before the real draft starts?

Fritz
04-14-2009, 11:56 AM

I think Ayers has that definite TT surprise pick mojo going for him.

Ayers also has that TT-drafting-guys-from-the-same-schools mojo going for him. Ted like Louisville offensive linemen, for example. Maybe he likes Tennessee defensive linemen.

CaliforniaCheez
04-14-2009, 10:35 PM
You could have done a better job on announcing a time when this would be taking place, not that I'm complaining....It just would have been nice to see this move a bit faster.

#1 - Lions - Matthew Stafford
#2 - Rams - Jason Smith
#3 - Chiefs - Aaron Curry
#4 - Seahawks - Eugene Monroe
#5 - Browns - Michael Crabtree
#6 - Bengals - Andrea Smith
#7 - Raiders - B.J. Raji
#8 - Jags - Jeremy Maclin
#9 - Packers - Michael Oher
#10 - 49ers - Brian Orakpo
#11 - Bills - Robert Ayers
#12 - Broncos - Tyson Jackson
#13 - Redskins - Everette Brown
#14 - Saints - Aaron Maybin
#15 - Texans - Mark Sanchez
#16 - Chargers - Rey Maualaga
#17 - Jets - Darrius Heyward-Bey with the hyphenated surname
#18 - Denver - Malcolm Jenkins OH St, the guy Ted should have drafted.

#19 - Tampa Bay - ???? Brian Cushing LB replaces Dereck Brooks

#20 - Detroit - ?????? Vontae Davis CB (Rodgers + Cutler)

#21 - Filthydelphia - ???????? Brandon Pettigrew TE OK St

Those are only suggestions.

mission
04-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Sorry guys!! KY is right... reading my bible! Haven't been on all day as we've had the mexicans downstairs in the warehouse building our own studio (exciting times). Someone has to supervise!

Anyway, I'm on it... give me a few mins! (Ill try to be faster than Wist)

mission
04-14-2009, 11:10 PM
The Buccaneers hoped and prayed that Sanchez would fall to them at #19 but their search for a franchise QB will have to continue (Josh Freeman was also heavily looked at). After strongly considering Cushing to replace Brooks, concerns of past steroid use in addition to the return of LB Angelo Crowell (who had a strong 07 season with the Bills) from injury have them putting this pick off for later in the draft.

Their only other unmentioned glaring need is the defensive line. Ole Miss' First team All-American, Peria Jerry, completely wowed scouts at his pro day with a 4.98 40, running faster than any other man at his size (Indy). Considered a reach by many, comparisons to Warren Sapp are just the nudge it takes to put this pick over the top in Jim Bates' new defensive scheme.

Lurker64
04-14-2009, 11:15 PM
And the Lions are on the clock!

Partial
04-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Dig the write up Mission. Can everybody start doing that from here on out? It makes it more entertaining to have a little back story and theory behind the pick.

packrulz
04-15-2009, 05:27 AM
Please note: from now on there will be a 12 hour time limit to make your draft picks, we only have 10 days until the draft, so we need to step it up. Detroit lions are on the clock.

packrulz
04-15-2009, 05:49 AM
This guy has a very plausible 7 round mock draft with links to other good mock sites, he does have the packers taking a punter in the 6th, but they do need a punter so I don't have a problem with it, I would like this draft. http://thefootballexpert.com/mockdraft.html

ND72
04-15-2009, 07:27 AM
Detroit could go one of 2 ways here in my opinion. They could look Offensive Tackle to protect their new #1 QB, but they could probably get the same guy they want at pick #33 in the 2nd round. So Detroit gets Defensive, and takes Vontae Davis, CB - Illionis.

Philly is on the clock.

DonHutson
04-15-2009, 08:13 AM
The Philadelphia Eagles are linked with every WR in the draft every year, because other than the T.O. experiment they've never given McNabb a top flight target. So do they take one here? I say no. They also have needs on the OL, and like most teams they could use more playmakers on D.

When Brian Westbrook is on the field, the Eagles are as good as anyone. When he's hurt, they typically suck. Therefore, to me, the key to continued success for the Eagles is to either keep Westbrook healthy (and he's not getting any younger) or find a supplementary RB.

Beenie Wells would offer the old thunder and lightning cliche, but I think the Eagles go with Knowshon Moreno here. He can do a lot of the same things Westbrook can, with far fewer miles on the odometer.

Pick #21 - EAGLES - KNOWSHON MORENO (RB) GEORGIA

Next Bretsky will try to find some poor bastard who looks good in purple...

Guiness
04-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Detroit could go one of 2 ways here in my opinion. They could look Offensive Tackle to protect their new #1 QB, but they could probably get the same guy they want at pick #33 in the 2nd round. So Detroit gets Defensive, and takes Vontae Davis, CB - Illionis.

Philly is on the clock.

So, the guy who almost went #9 finally comes off the board. Since Detroit took him, it is now settled that it would've been a bad idea for the Pack to draft him! Maturity and coachability questions make him a bad fit for the Lions, IMO.

ND72
04-15-2009, 02:42 PM
I was considering Cushing to the Lions...But he will play an OLB position, and they need MLB help. Then I was considering OL for them, but nobody really that fits the #20 pick in round 1. So then I was playing the BPA option, of which they didn't need a QB (Freeman), and don't really need another RB (Wells/Moreno). So it was either DL, or DB, and Davis is the only "top" guy left IMO.

Partial
04-15-2009, 03:04 PM
The Philadelphia Eagles are linked with every WR in the draft every year, because other than the T.O. experiment they've never given McNabb a top flight target. So do they take one here? I say no. They also have needs on the OL, and like most teams they could use more playmakers on D.

Pick #21 - EAGLES - KNOWSHON MORENO (RB) GEORGIA

Next Bretsky will try to find some poor bastard who looks good in purple...

I think this might be the pick of the draft at this point. There system will really benefit Moreno imo.

KYPack
04-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Bretsky on the clock with the purple.

Lurker64
04-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Bretsky on the clock with the purple.

If he doesn't show up soon, can I assume he's passing on the spot and pick for the Patriots? It wouldn't be the first time this happened, perhaps it's intentional!

Bretsky
04-15-2009, 04:23 PM
The Minnesota Vikings, who consider GB their biggest rival, seriously considered going the route of OT, mainly in Eben Britton. But blocking Justine Harrell and the subpar cast of DL Green Bay currently has would stunt his growth anyways.

Instead, they go with a dynamic all around player that could fly by Al Harris with ease if he ditches the jam. And last year we saw that Bernard Berrion wasn't a ringer so the Vikes need help here.

The Minnesota Vikings select, WR Percy Harvin. Enjoy seeing him in your tracks Packer fans :!: :lol:

Fritz
04-15-2009, 04:34 PM

Philly is on the clock.

Partial was asking for the backstory, ND, and you forgot that your new bosses, Tom Lewan & Martin Mayhew, called their old boss, Matt Millen:

L&M: Matt, Matt, we're on the clock. Who should we take?

Millen: Any wide receivers available?

L&M: Well, yes, but you already got us a good one in Calvin Johnson.

Millen: I always did have an eye for a good wideout (chuckles). Well, are there any impressive-looking but immature guys at any other positions?

L&M: There is that Illinois guy. Vontage Davis, something like that.

Millen: Is he ripped?

L&M: Yup.

Millen: Is he immature and cocky? Maybe not considered coachable?

L&M: Yup.

Millen: Well, take that guy, and tell Marinelli to coach 'em up. You can pair Davis up with that guy I got last year, Bodden. You'll be set for years.

L&M: Uh, Marinelli's not the coach any more. And Bodden's gone, too.

Millen: Sounds like you need a cornerback, then. Better take that guy.

L&M: Thanks, Matt.

Lurker64
04-15-2009, 04:46 PM
All of the New England Patriots championships were based on defense. Clutch, swarming, well-coached, and well-executed defense with some exceptional play in their Linebacker corps. Their failure to reach 19-0 had a lot to do with their defense being very, very old (they brought Junior Seau out of retirement, for goodness sakes). And despite hitting a home-run with Jerrod Mayo last year, they haven't gotten substantively younger.

Somewhat worrying is that the entire starting defensive line for the Pats will be a free agent next year, but most of those guys are worth paying for to retain, and there's not a lot here. Brief consideration was put towards Jarron Gilbert or Ziggy Hood to play DE, but Seymour is the best player in the league at that position, and so drafting one of those two would basically signal the departure of probably the best player on the defense.

The cornerback position is also weak, and Vontae Davis might be a Bill Bellichick pick as he has a habit of turning around reprobates (how much of a ruckus has Randy Moss made in NE?), but Detroit took him, so good luck. There's not much else here, so they can look to pick up somebody in a later round.

The thing that really needs addressing is the linebacker corps that New England built their championship team on. Mike Vrabel is a Chief, it's a miracle that Teddy Bruschi is still playing, Adalius Thomas has been somewhat disappointing, and Pierre Woods (the current replacement for Vrable) was undrafted 3 years ago and is nothing special. If Maualuga had fallen here, the Pats would have taken him as Mayo and Maualuga would be the best ILB corps in the NFL, bar none, but he's not. So the Pats look to find a younger, cheaper, replacement for Vrable or Bruschi here by drafting USC Linebacker Brian Cushing, a tough, intense, versatile and athletic linebacker who will can quickly step in to play ILB (in Bruschi's spot) or OLB (in Vrabel's old spot). Cushing is versatile and athletic, has textbook size, and is good in coverage against tight ends and running backs.

The Pats briefly considered a pass rusher like Larry English, Connor Barwin, Clay Matthews, and Clint Sintim. But considering that the Pats pick again in ten picks, it's unlikely that half of those teams are going to pick a pass rusher, so they'll just grab the best of who's left, and go for the guy with star potential here.

Lurker64
04-15-2009, 04:50 PM
The Falcons are on the clock.

3irty1
04-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Atlanta takes Brandonn Pettigrew, TE from OSU.

They have needs all over despite winning 11 games. Other possibilities include a DT like Peria Jerry if he falls or Ziggy Hood, or any of the USC linebackers if they fall. Supposedly they have a boner for Louis Delmas at safety too so that's a possibility. I think Pettigrew is the best player available and also fills a need.

packrulz
04-16-2009, 05:29 AM
The Dolphins are on the clock...

Mazzin
04-16-2009, 06:38 AM
Dolphins make a strong consideration from Hakeem Hicks, yet choose to go with

W.R. Kenny Britt/ Rutgers.

Miami would have loved to have Percy fall to them, they think they have the qb of the future with Henne so no need to take Josh Freeman here....I think Kenny Britt with his size would fit VERY well with Ted Ginn.

Guiness
04-16-2009, 10:46 AM
The Baltimore Ravens select Peria Jerry.

Drafting at this position, obviously the Ravens don't need much. There are a couple of positions where upgrades would help, most notably WR and CB. However, they can afford to look for what they consider the best player left on the board.

Looking at what's up there, the three players considered the best are at three positions the Ravens are most set at. The war room held their breath as Jenkins (CB) dropped, but it was not to be. Gone to Denver at 18, 8 picks before their chance to hand in a card. The next CBs on their board would be Alphonso Smith or Darius Butler, but there's better players than them left.

Arguably, Josh Freeman is the best value at this juncture, but QB was the ONE position that was ruled out. They're set at starting QB for the foreseable future, so they can draft a prospect later in the draft. Say, rounds 4-5 and try to develop him.

So it came down to two players, Beanie Wells and Peria Jerry as they watched to see what the Mazzin led Dolphins would do. (edit they didn't take either, and opted for a WR the Ravens had ruled out)

There's a lot to like about Peria Jerry, not the least of which is the football tradition in his family. His cousin was Dwayne Rudd (played for the Vikings). His brother and four other cousins played, or are playing Div I ball.

He will be asked to move outside. He has a good first step, plays the run well, and is disruptive in the backfield. The incumbents at DE are Pryce and Greg, who are getting on in years, so Jerry will have an opportunity to get a lot of snaps and make an immediate impact.

mission
04-16-2009, 10:52 AM
The Baltimore Ravens select Peria Jerry.

Drafting at this position, obviously the Ravens don't need much. There are a couple of positions where upgrades would help, most notably WR and CB. However, they can afford to look for what they consider the best player left on the board.

Looking at what's up there, the three players considered the best are at three positions the Ravens are most set at. The war room held their breath as Jenkins (CB) dropped, but it was not to be. Gone to Denver at 18, 8 picks before their chance to hand in a card. The next CBs on their board would be Alphonso Smith or Darius Butler, but there's better players than them left.

Arguably, Josh Freeman is the best value at this juncture, but QB was the ONE position that was ruled out. They're set at starting QB for the foreseable future, so they can draft a prospect later in the draft. Say, rounds 4-5 and try to develop him.

So it came down to two players, Beanie Wells and Peria Jerry as they watched to see what the Mazzin led Dolphins would do. (edit they didn't take either, and opted for a WR the Ravens had ruled out)

There's a lot to like about Peria Jerry, not the least of which is the football tradition in his family. His cousin was Dwayne Rudd (played for the Vikings). His brother and four other cousins played, or are playing Div I ball.

He will be asked to move outside. He has a good first step, plays the run well, and is disruptive in the backfield. The incumbents at DE are Pryce and Greg, who are getting on in years, so Jerry will have an opportunity to get a lot of snaps and make an immediate impact.

He's already taken... nice write up though. Have another one in ya? :P

Guiness
04-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Bugger :oops: :oops: :oops:

I see where you grabbed him now, right after the Cheeze's post that had them taking Cushing! I even read your post, but it slipped my mind.

The Ravens dash back up to the podium, apologize, say their computer broke down, and crack a joke about the fact that at least they didn't draft a dead guy (RIP James Eggink).

Although RB is arguably their deepest position, Beanie Wells still on the board can't be ignored.

The Ravens draft Chris Wells.

gbpackfan
04-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Indy selects............DT Evander "Ziggy" Hood, Missouri

The Colts are looking to replace Marvin Harrison but with The top 5 WRs off the board, they'll wait until round 2 and go after a guy like Juaquin Iglesias. This is actually a blessing in disguise because the Colts desperately need depth at the DT position. Their run D was ranked 24th last year and have lost at least 3 DTs over the past 12 months to retirement, legal issues and medical problems. With P. Jerry off the board, the Colts select the next best DT remaining (for their scheme) - Evander "Ziggy" Hood. Hood has the size and speed combination cover 2 teams love in their defensive tackles. Expect him to start from day 1.

packrulz
04-16-2009, 03:41 PM
The Eagles are on the clock...

DonHutson
04-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Now it appears that Anquan Boldin has officially joined Braylon Edwards on the trade block. The Eagles should be doing their damndest to snag one of them.

However, trades aren't allowed in this mock so we need to look at what's left. The Eagles need help at WR (obviously), as well as OL and I think they can use another playmaker in the defensive front seven.

The top guys on the board at those positions are Hakeem Nicks, Eben Britton, and Clay Matthews. Of those three, the value pick at this point feels like Clay Matthews. He can bring some toughness and leadership to an effective, yet anonymous group.

Pick #28 - EAGLES - CLAY MATTHEWS (OLB) SOUTHERN CAL

Deputy Nutz
04-16-2009, 04:17 PM
I see the eagles taking a offensive tackle at some point in the first round. I just see it as their biggest need, although I am an indifferent when you select a linemen in the draft just draft several of them if you don't take one in the first round. You can find rookie starters in the second and third rounds but just don't expect them to be on the verge of the Pro Bowl their first year, expect a lot of ups and downs similar to what the Packers have experienced with Colledge and Spitz.

packrulz
04-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Giants are on the clock...

Bretsky
04-16-2009, 06:46 PM

They will probably trade this pick for Braylon Edwards

Partial
04-16-2009, 07:17 PM

They will probably trade this pick for Braylon Edwards

Agreed.

mission
04-16-2009, 09:06 PM
(on it)

mission
04-16-2009, 09:10 PM
NYG selects Kenny Britt WR Rutgers

Guiness
04-16-2009, 10:44 PM

lol - I get a chance to throw it back at ya!

The crunk rat grabbed Mr. Britt :wink:

Lurker64
04-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Just to put it all on one page:

#1-Detroit Lions: Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia
#2- St. Louis Rams: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
#3- Kansas City Chiefs: Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
#4- Seattle Seahawks: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
#5- Cleveland Browns: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
#6- Cincinnati Bengals: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama.
#7- Oakland Raiders: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
#8- Jacksonville Jaguars: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
#9- Green Bay Packers: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
#10- San Francisco 49ers: Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas.
#11- Buffalo Bills: Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
#12- Denver Broncos, Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
#13- Washington Redskins: Everette Brown, DE, Florida State
#14- New Orleans Saints: Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB, Penn State
#15- Houston Texans: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
#16- San Diego Chargers: Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
#17- New York Jets: Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland.
#18- Denver Broncos: Malcom Jenkins, DB, Ohio State.
#19- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss.
#20- Detroit Lions: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois.
#21- Philadelphia Eagles: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
#22- Minnesota Vikings: Percy Harvin, WR, Florida.
#23- New England Patriots: Brian Cushing, LB, USC.
#24- Atlanta Falcons: Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State.
#25- Miami Dolphins: Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers.
#26- Baltimore Ravens: Chris "Beanie" Wells, RB, Ohio State.
#27- Indianapolis Colts: Evander "Ziggy" Hood, DT, Missouri.
#28- Philadelphia Eagles: Clay Matthews, LB, USC.

mission
04-16-2009, 11:05 PM

The crunk rat grabbed :wink:

god damn!! that's funny... ok ... glad Lurker just put that up, I almost picked Harvin this time. Hard to keep track!

Eben Britton OT - Arizona (GIANTS)

Guiness
04-17-2009, 12:28 AM

The crunk rat grabbed :wink:

god damn!! that's funny... ok ... glad Lurker just put that up, I almost picked Harvin this time. Hard to keep track!

Eben Britton OT - Arizona (GIANTS)

It was, too!

Britton - good darkhorse pick. Fifth OT on the board, a lot of good things being said about him.

packrulz
04-17-2009, 05:22 AM
#29 New York Giants:mission:Eben Britton OT - Arizona
#30 Tennessee Titans:Mazzin:Darius Butler CB UConn
#31 Arizona Cardinals:FirstSgt:RB Donald Brown, University of Connecticut.
#32 Pittsburgh Steelers:FirstSgt:C Max Unger, University of Oregon.

Thanks for participating everyone!

Fritz
04-17-2009, 06:28 AM
Guess I'm starting to like the idea of Oher at #9.

The Packers need to find Clifton's replacement, and if it ain't Colledge, then draft the guy now so he can sit and learn for a year.

ND72
04-17-2009, 09:00 AM
I am going to go out on a limb and say either the Giants or Philly will move their #1 pick to Cleveland for Braylon Edwards. Personally, I wouldn't mind if Phily sent us both #1's though for our #9.

Zool
04-17-2009, 09:44 AM
5WR in the first round?

Lurker64
04-17-2009, 12:23 PM
5WR in the first round?

A lot of teams need them, and the fall-off in terms of talent is sort of precipitous after the first 7 or so guys. Plus we're making up for how nobody took a WR in the first last year...

Guiness
04-17-2009, 01:15 PM
5WR in the first round?

A lot of teams need them, and the fall-off in terms of talent is sort of precipitous after the first 7 or so guys. Plus we're making up for how nobody took a WR in the first last year...

And it could've been another one - from a need perspective, the Ravens really want a deep threat for Flacco. If they were looking to fill a spot, that's what they would've done.

I could see THEM offering up their first rounder for Braylon.

Lurker64
04-17-2009, 01:44 PM
And it could've been another one - from a need perspective, the Ravens really want a deep threat for Flacco. If they were looking to fill a spot, that's what they would've done.

I could see THEM offering up their first rounder for Braylon.

I doubt the Browns would trade Edwards within their own division, however.

Mazzin
04-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Titans make a serious contemplation go with Hakeem Nicks W.R. NC (again with him right? hes gonna be special)

Instead choose to go with Darius Butler CB UConn, He is a little smaller but one HELL of a player. Nick Harper is turning 35 or 36..they need help...will take BPA outta DE LB or CB

ND72
04-17-2009, 04:55 PM
5WR in the first round?

It also says alot about this draft. The talent in this years draft is a 2nd round value draft...almost ALL of these top WR's are 2nd round type WR's...but there isn't much else of value if it's a need, so you almost need to take these guys so highly.

FirstSgt
04-17-2009, 09:46 PM
With the 31st pick of the NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select RB Donald Brown, University of Connecticut.

J.J. Arrington took off for Denver and Edgerrin James may follow him out the door. Tim Hightower is proving to be most effective as a situational option. Brown led the nation in rushing in 2008 with 1,822 yards and 17 TDs.

FirstSgt
04-17-2009, 10:19 PM
With the 32nd pick in the NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select C Max Unger, University of Oregon.

The Steelers offensive line gave up 51 sacks and ranked 23rd in the NFL in rushing for 2008. Unger immediately upgrades the interior line and could be their opening day starter at center.

Lurker64
04-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Final Tally for round 1:

#29- New York Giants: Eben Britton, OT, Arizona.
#30- Tennessee Titans: Darius Butler, CB, UConn.
#31- Arizona Cardinals: Donald Brown, RB, UConn.
#32- Pittsburgh Steelers: Max Unger, OL, Oregon.

We got it done before the draft!

Guiness
04-17-2009, 11:02 PM
What's the over/under for guessing the picks correctly here?

I'd put it somewhere under 50%. 33% maybe. With only a few in the second half of the round.

Partial
04-17-2009, 11:10 PM
sooo... who do you think is the best pick (fit, quality, etc all factored in) so far?

wist43
04-18-2009, 05:27 AM
Actually, I like the last 3 picks of our mock as good fits, good picks... I like all 3 of those guys.

As for our pick, Oher... I like him, but he does scare me. Boom or bust - AND - he's a bit of a project. If we take him, it would be purely on his athletic talent, not his production.

TT has said many times he will always take the guy he feels "has the best future"... that means the guy he sees being a better player in 4-5 years. I don't want a guy at 9 that is going to take years to develop.

Still hoping for Orakpo or Raji, but think both will be gone, and doubt TT even knows either one of them is alive.

DonHutson
04-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Still hoping for Orakpo or Raji, but think both will be gone, and doubt TT even knows either one of them is alive.

I think Orakpo is very much a Ted kind of player. Super productive, safe character. And I'm starting to think he might drop to us.

My impression is that given a choice between a guy with a 40% of being a star, a 20% chance of being decent, and a 40% chance of being a bust OR a guy with a 20 % chance of being a star, a 60% of being decent, and a 20% chance of being a bust - Ted would take the guy with the wide middle range, more so with the first pick.

To me, the wider middle range guys that could be there at #9 are Orakpo, Jackson, maybe Jenkins. Raji is more of a boom/bust guy. I don't know what to make of Oher. He seems like a good guy who works hard. If they think he can learn the offense, they could certainly take him.

Fritz
04-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Final Tally for round 1:

#29- New York Giants: Eben Britton, OT, Arizona.
#30- Tennessee Titans: Darius Butler, CB, UConn.
#31- Arizona Cardinals: Donald Brown, RB, UConn.
#32- Pittsburgh Steelers: Max Unger, OL, Oregon.

We got it done before the draft!

I mock this draft.

DonHutson
04-18-2009, 02:32 PM
I mock this draft.

I drafted 1/16th of this mock.

Lurker64
04-18-2009, 02:59 PM
As for our pick, Oher... I like him, but he does scare me. Boom or bust - AND - he's a bit of a project. If we take him, it would be purely on his athletic talent, not his production.

He was first team All SEC three times and a first-team All-American, considering that they don't keep stats for offensive linemen, how much more production are you looking for?

Yes, he's absolutely not as good now as he could be based on his physical talent, but he was still plenty good and plenty productive in college. Based on pure physical talent, Oher is the top OT in the draft by a mile or more. He just gets the "unproductive" and "inconsistent" tags because he's only at the level of the other top OTs in this draft, and not well above them like his god-given tools would allow. NFL coaching, a small-town football centric atmosphere, and the support that the Green Bay community would give him (he's a great guy and an easy person to like) would be really good for him.

DonHutson
04-18-2009, 03:13 PM
NFL coaching, a small-town football centric atmosphere, and the support that the Green Bay community would give him (he's a great guy and an easy person to like) would be really good for him.

There would also be no pressure on him to play right away. So even if he does have some trouble learning the system, at least he'd have a full year to get ready.

Lurker64
04-18-2009, 03:21 PM
NFL coaching, a small-town football centric atmosphere, and the support that the Green Bay community would give him (he's a great guy and an easy person to like) would be really good for him.

There would also be no pressure on him to play right away. So even if he does have some trouble learning the system, at least he'd have a full year to get ready.

I think they'd probably put him on the right side right away, where he'd definitely be a significant improvement over 2008 (and probably 2007) era Mark Tauscher. RT isn't a position in this scheme that requires a lot of smarts to play, anyway.

packrulz
05-03-2009, 06:06 AM
#1-Detroit Lions: Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia correct
#2- St. Louis Rams: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor correct
#6- Cincinnati Bengals: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama. correct
#22- Minnesota Vikings: Percy Harvin, WR, Florida. correct
#29 New York Giants:mission:Eben Britton OT - Arizona
#30 Tennessee Titans:Mazzin:Darius Butler CB UConn
#31 Arizona Cardinals:FirstSgt:RB Donald Brown, University of Connecticut.
#32 Pittsburgh Steelers:FirstSgt:C Max Unger, University of Oregon.

Actual draft results:
1 Lions Matthew Stafford QB
2 Rams Jason Smith OT
3 Chiefs Tyson Jackson DE
4 Seahawks Aaron Curry OLB
5 Jets Mark Sanchez QB
6 Bengals Andre Smith OT
7 Raiders Darrius Heyward-Bey WR
8 Jaguars Eugene Monroe OT
9 Packers B.J. Raji DT
10 49ers Michael Crabtree WR
11 Bills Aaron Maybin DE
12 Broncos Knowshon Moreno RB
13 Redskins Brian Orakpo DE
14 Saints Malcolm Jenkins CB
15 Texans Brian Cushing OLB
16 Chargers Larry English DE
17 Buccaneers Josh Freeman QB
18 Broncos Robert Ayers LB
19 Eagles Jeremy Maclin WR
20 Lions Brandon Pettigrew TE
21 Browns Alex Mack C
22 Vikings Percy Harvin WR
23 Ravens Michael Oher OT
24 Falcons Peria Jerry DT
25 Dolphins Vontae Davis CB
26 Packers Clay Matthews OLB
27 Colts Donald Brown RB
28 Bills Eric Wood C
29 Giants Hakeem Nicks WR
30 Titans Kenny Britt WR
31 Cardinals Chris Wells RB
32 Steelers Evander Hood DT

KYPack
05-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks for putting the thread together, packrulz.

3 out of 32, eh?

How's that compare with last season's mock?

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2009, 09:13 PM

3 out of 32, eh?

4 of 32. Awful! I'm happy to say that I was not a part of this mock.
:D

KYPack
05-03-2009, 10:00 PM

3 out of 32, eh?

Yeah, 4 of 32. We missed your expertise, Harve.

How does it compare with last season?

I'm glad we didn't pick Oher and Raji slid for us. Our mock was shot when Jackson moved way up and DHB went to OAK.

MJZiggy
05-03-2009, 10:04 PM
I just want it noted for the record that I got 4 correct in the 1st round thread...and I got the Pack's pick right! Which should only drive you nuts because I pay virtually no attention to the draft and don't know who these people are yet...:mrgreen:

packrulz
05-04-2009, 05:50 AM

3 out of 32, eh?

Yeah, 4 of 32. We missed your expertise, Harve.

How does it compare with last season?

I'm glad we didn't pick Oher and Raji slid for us. Our mock was shot when Jackson moved way up and DHB went to OAK.
Sorry, I can't find it, but I think it was even worse.

packrulz
02-21-2010, 07:16 AM
I just wanted to bump this thread to see how some of the first round picks did in their rookie year. It turns out Oher would've been a great pick for the Pack, not that BJ was a bad pick, and TT was smart to trade up and draft Clay Matthews. We got 4 correct, we'll see if we can do better this year but I want to wait until after the NFL combine this week.

KYPack
02-21-2010, 10:09 AM
I just wanted to bump this thread to see how some of the first round picks did in their rookie year. It turns out Oher would've been a great pick for the Pack, not that BJ was a bad pick, and TT was smart to trade up and draft Clay Matthews. We got 4 correct, we'll see if we can do better this year but I want to wait until after the NFL combine this week.

Thanks, PR.

Oher was a great kid, but he's getting a lot of positive pub that isn't earned. The Ravens lost twice to the Bengals last season and Oher contributed to those losses. He was seriously overmatched in both games. Part of the reason the Ravens O was unproductive was their need to constantly slide and help Oher.

He will be a big thing and played well for a rook, but he isn't there yet.

Fritz
02-21-2010, 12:46 PM
It will be interesting to see how Raji does next year, after a year in the program and, I hope, healthy.

Joemailman
02-21-2010, 01:05 PM
A lot of mocks got screwed up when Al Davis took DHB at #7. Any guesses at what TT would have done if Oakland had taken Raji, as predicted here? Would it have been Crabtree? Orakpo? Cushing? My guess would have been Orakpo.

Smidgeon
02-21-2010, 01:16 PM
A lot of mocks got screwed up when Al Davis took DHB at #7. Any guesses at what TT would have done if Oakland had taken Raji, as predicted here? Would it have been Crabtree? Orakpo? Cushing? My guess would have been Orakpo.

I'm guessing Crabtree. Especially after hearing reports on how high Crabtree was on TT's board.

Lurker64
02-21-2010, 02:25 PM

My guess is Matthews, Thompson said after the draft that he was very close to picking Matthews at #9 overall. He would have gotten ripped for it initially of course, but the kid sure played like a top 10 pick.