PDA

View Full Version : Jason Taylor will visit 1265 Lombardi?

sheepshead
04-05-2009, 10:54 AM
I've heard this from a few places. Anyone have anything official? Or semi official?

Packers | Taylor to visit the Packers
Share: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 12:12:15 -0700

Paul Kuharsky, of ESPN.com, reports the Green Bay Packers plan to meet with unrestricted free-agent DE Jason Taylor (Redskins) Monday, April 06

Bretsky
04-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Is this a late April Fools Joke ?

He'd be a nice addition

sheepshead
04-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Not from me this time. Just saw this on a blog, cant find any news though

The Shadow
04-05-2009, 11:06 AM
I'd love to add Taylor - at a reasonable price - to the mix.

BF4MVP
04-05-2009, 01:19 PM
I'd love to add Taylor - at a reasonable price - to the mix.
I agree..I think it would be a nice, low risk signing..The kind that Ted likes..

rbaloha1
04-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Nice addition. If true what does this say about the current potential des?

Spaulding
04-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Keep meaning to start a thread on Taylor. Thanks Sheepshead for getting the ball rolling.

I've been wondering when/if the Pack would show interest in signing Taylor since he's departure from the Redskins. I mean, they evidently were interested enough last year to possibly trade a draft choice for Taylor (given I'm not privy to inside information I'm going on rumor but maybe they were never interested and thus it makes sense of the stance again this year) why wouldn't they go for him for free this year?

He has a history ('06 and '07) with Capers and has extensive knowledge in the 3-4 scheme and is a solid locker room guy and a leader. What's not to like given we have the cap space to make it happen.

Barring Taylor flat out not being interested in the Packers due to distance from family, receiving a decent offer from the Pats where he has a better chance for a ring, etc. I would think this a no-brainer.

Thompson has been bashed (some fair, some not fair) for not taking more action to improve this team outside the draft and I'd hope that he makes a valid play for Taylor. After all he's just three years removed from defensive player of the year award and unless his injury recovery is slow moving or he's definitely lost a step like KGB, he should be strongly pursued.

HarveyWallbangers
04-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Bedard writes that he sees little chance of Taylor even wanting to go to Green Bay. I think he's doing this to drive up offers that other teams are making.

DonHutson
04-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Bedard writes that he sees little chance of Taylor even wanting to go to Green Bay. I think he's doing this to drive up offers that other teams are making.

Maybe, but nobody seems to be clamoring to sign him. Reminds me a lot of the Charles Woodson scenario.

sheepshead
04-05-2009, 03:44 PM

Maybe, but nobody seems to be clamoring to sign him. Reminds me a lot of the Charles Woodson scenario.

Bedard knows as much as I do, and that isnt much. He's sitting in Milwaukee on a lap top. Big deal. He gives all the usual reasons, weather, hollywood etc etc.

He doesnt site a source or a conversation with anyone. I'm not saying Taylors even coming to Green Bay unless his next team is on the schedule. Guys like Bedard are just as bad as guys on here pulling you-know-what out of their you-know-what.

pbmax
04-05-2009, 03:48 PM

Bedard knows as much as I do, and that isnt much. He's sitting in Milwaukee on a lap top. Big deal. He gives all the usual reasons, weather, hollywood etc etc.

He doesnt site a source or a conversation with anyone. I'm not saying Taylors even coming to Green Bay unless his next team is on the schedule. Guys like Bedard are just as bad as guys on here pulling you-know-what out of their you-know-what.
Bedard covered Taylor while both were in Miami. I think he might have an edge on you.

wist43
04-05-2009, 03:56 PM

I agree, non-starter of an issue... unless Taylor said he'd play for the minimum. Maybe TT will try to sell him on GB's nightlife and weather - Miami can't compete with that :)

Bretsky
04-05-2009, 03:58 PM

Bedard covered Taylor while both were in Miami. I think he might have an edge on you.

Ah, but Bedard, who I really like as I read all of his stuff, has admittedly not been on speaking terms with Jason Taylor since he left Miami. I don't recall why, but he p@ssed Taylor off.

So if Bedard has some inside information right now, it's from the Packers and their interest, or lack of it, in Jason Taylor.

Lurker64
04-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Does Taylor have much left in the tank?

sheepshead
04-05-2009, 04:14 PM

I agree, non-starter of an issue... unless Taylor said he'd play for the minimum. Maybe TT will try to sell him on GB's nightlife and weather - Miami can't compete with that :)

:glug:

Patler
04-05-2009, 04:26 PM

Ah, but Bedard, who I really like as I read all of his stuff, has admittedly not been on speaking terms with Jason Taylor since he left Miami. I don't recall why, but he p@ssed Taylor off.

So if Bedard has some inside information right now, it's from the Packers and their interest, or lack of it, in Jason Taylor.

Yup, that's what Bedard wrote a while back. Something to the effect of Taylor hating his guts for something that he wrote at one time. Now the guy ignores him completely, apparently.

Bedard seems to have a fascination with Taylor. He has written on and on about him several times, almost as if he thinks it will give him instant credibility if he can convince Packer fans that he has some deep seeded knowledge about Taylor.

I liked Bedard for a while. I find that I like him less and less as time goes on. His condescending, constantly sarcastic tone about the Packers (and the NFL in general) is getting old with me. I find myself skipping many of his articles after reading the first paragraph or so. He hasn't provided much insight into the Packers, other than what he copies or links from other sources. Usually what I have read from him, I have seen elsewhere earlier.

cpk1994
04-05-2009, 04:46 PM

So if Bedard has some inside information right now, it's from the Packers and their interest, or lack of it, in Jason Taylor.ANd he probably isn't getting anything from the Packers since Teddy & Co. don't exactly care for the MJS.

Waldo
04-05-2009, 06:23 PM

So if Bedard has some inside information right now, it's from the Packers and their interest, or lack of it, in Jason Taylor.ANd he probably isn't getting anything from the Packers since Teddy & Co. don't exactly care for the MJS.

Does anybody but a few casual fans?

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-05-2009, 06:34 PM

Probably not

3irty1
04-05-2009, 06:41 PM

Probably not

The move back to OLB could help him.

Patler
04-05-2009, 06:50 PM

Probably not

Hard to say. He's just one year removed from a pretty good 2007 season. He had 3.5 sacks and 9 passes defended in a partial 2008 season.

HarveyWallbangers
04-05-2009, 08:45 PM
I liked Bedard for a while. I find that I like him less and less as time goes on.

Same here. I don't mind the old guys that are gruff (Uncle Cliffy), but you can find a guy like Bedard in every sports city now.

cpk1994
04-06-2009, 08:44 AM

Does anybody but a few casual fans?NO, but TT & M3 have extra reason to hate MJS after the hit pieces written last summer. MJS took a side and now they are paying heavily for it.

KYPack
04-06-2009, 08:55 AM
If the LA Rams still existed, I'd think Taylor would have paid them to play for 'em.

He's older and more brittle, but to sign him off the scrap heap will be a helluva move for some team. JT has gone all the way Hollywood, but that's one hell of an athlete that's available. I kinda thought the cowpukes would get him, but I guess Canty was more of an inside guy, eh?

Fritz
04-06-2009, 10:38 AM
I'd like to take issue with part of Bedard's blog post from the 5th - that Taylor would be more likely to go to the Bills than the Packers because he'd think that they are closer to a Super Bowl than the Packers.

What? Maybe neither is all that close, but if your motivation is a SB trip, why would Buffalo be so much better than Green Bay?

Patler
04-06-2009, 11:07 AM
I'd like to take issue with part of Bedard's blog post from the 5th - that Taylor would be more likely to go to the Bills than the Packers because he'd think that they are closer to a Super Bowl than the Packers.

What? Maybe neither is all that close, but if your motivation is a SB trip, why would Buffalo be so much better than Green Bay?

That one struck me too. I have a couple thoughts on it.

First, Bedard seems to be of the mindset that to demonstrate his impartiality, objectiveness, whatever, he must belittle, downgrade or insult the team whenever he gets the chance. This is another of those opportunities, Buffalo is a better option than GB.

My second thought is one of trying to give Bedard the benefit of the doubt. He has been here for only one season. He knows the team as it played last year, not the potential we saw from many of the players and the team as a whole in 2007. He is similar to the more pessimistic Packerrats in assessing the teams potential.

cpk1994
04-06-2009, 11:10 AM

First, Bedard seems to be of the mindset that to demonstrate his impartiality, objectiveness, whatever, he must belittle, downgrade or insult the team whenever he gets the chance. This is another of those opportunities, Buffalo is a better option than GB.

My second thought is one of trying to give Bedard the benefit of the doubt. He has been here for only one season. He knows the team as it played last year, not the potential we saw from many of the players and the team as a whole in 2007. He is similar to the more pessimistic Packerrats in assessing the teams potential.

But the thing is, Bedard isn't the only one insulting the team. They all are. I think Bedard is taking orders from above in regards to the framing of his words.

mraynrand
04-06-2009, 11:14 AM

If you are going to assess Bedard, here is my question: Is he more a reporter who collects the thoughts opinions and evaluations of others and then reports them or is he just a writer who has been given an assignment to cover the Packers and then offers his own opinions based on whatever reporting/information he gets? I think it is the latter and it shows. Nothing against the guy, but I see a reporter who just offers an opinion that really in many ways is of lower quality than the more informed Packerrats, except for the small detail that Bedard has more access.

Patler
04-06-2009, 12:14 PM
If you are going to assess Bedard, here is my question: Is he more a reporter who collects the thoughts opinions and evaluations of others and then reports them or is he just a writer who has been given an assignment to cover the Packers and then offers his own opinions based on whatever reporting/information he gets? I think it is the latter and it shows. Nothing against the guy, but I see a reporter who just offers an opinion that really in many ways is of lower quality than the more informed Packerrats, except for the small detail that Bedard has more access.

I think I agree with you. There are very few "reporters" any more. Bedard does not seem to be one. It used to be that the good reporters would do both, provide factual reporting with occasional opinion columns based on their knowledge gained from reporting.

Now, most of the "opinion writers" form and report their opinions without much effort at gathering facts and information upon which to base their opinions. Informed opinions I could appreciate. Uninformed opinions are worthless. I see so many errors in the foundations of the opinions espoused by so many of the professionals now days, that I wonder why I bother to read or listen to them at all. You are right, many on here are more analytical than the professionals.

"Reporters" at all levels in all media are evolving into entertainers.

Fritz
04-06-2009, 12:39 PM
How true, mraynrand & Patler.

However, to try to uncover Bedard's stated point, how would one envision Buffalo as a better stomping ground because it is closer to a SB than GB? What evidence might one offer for such a claim?

Fritz
04-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Well, I piqued my own curiosity. A quick bit of research shows that the Bills have finished 7-9 the past three seasons.

Last season, they ranked 23rd overall in terms of points scored, and 14th overall in terms of points allowed.

And by the way, Bills fans are happy to get rid of Duke Preston. He apparently is best remembered for two bonehead plays: one in which he got into a meaningless tussle with a New England Patriot at the end of the half of a 3-0 game (Buffalo behind) which cost Buffalo a field goal attempt; the other in which Preston was playing center and thought the QB was behind him instead of in shotgun formation and so snapped the ball to the QB who was not right behind him. As one poster said...."Forest Gump and Rainman look like Einsteins compared to Preston."

Doh!

pbmax
04-06-2009, 01:24 PM
I agree with the general sense of dissatisfaction with Bedard. His only point of recommendation is that unlike many others who work in newspapers/magazines, he seems to realize that the internet is not going to get off his lawn. It helps that he is under the age of 55. No offense shadow or KYPack. Both of you are obviously more quick witted and bright than most writers. :lol:

But on this point I think he has some insight. He confessed last year that he has no new information on Taylor's thought process, so he hasn't hidden this fact. But he has stated that Taylor has a goal of a job in the entertainment industry after football (Tiki Barber, Howie Long, etc.). That information has been reported elsewhere and could easily have been known to Bedard prior to his current distance with Taylor. And so he has stated that moving to a smaller media market would not be Taylor's first choice. This isn't first hand knowledge, but I think its a reasonable inference.

After that, the Buffalo stuff is just a rehash of who won the offseason last year. Though since he is talking perception, this might be the case.

McGinn is the only true beat writer/reporter for JS on the Packers. But his contract is not 365 days a year. Silverstein (and then Bedard) fill in during the offseason. SilverBeard then get to fill in the ancillary angles and write columns/opinion pieces. JS has a simple rule, when you see just the standard byline, its reporting. When you see their shining faces, its a column or analysis. Bedard's columns have been mostly terrible, its clear he doesn't yet have sources with the Pack or their players.

The blog stuff I don't mind as I know it just to cover what else is out there, like the threads on this board.

On other thing, cpk alluded to but goes against my every memory. JS and the WSJ were taking hear all summer long for backing up the Packer side of the Great Favre Debate. They along with Glazer and Schefter had all the newest Packer tidbits. Wilde played it pretty straight and McGinn launched his training camp with a piece that defended the decision to let Favre go. I think you could make the case the reporting after this ended went back in the other direction, but that wasn't the point you were making.

But even here, I think the players are mainly at the mercy of their sources. Favre had frozen out the locals for some time (which probably explained his need to his own office) and when push came to shove, the only people talking to the local newpapers were the Packers.

The Shadow
04-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Bedard is unimpressive. It would be nice to have a more informed guy.

digitaldean
04-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Between Lori Nickel's fluff pieces, Bedard's snideness it's no wonder the JSO is having problems.

There are very few writers there that I like reading. Though Hunt isn't my favorite, he is probably the best of the bunch. As for the GBPG, I wouldn't give you a pinch of S*** for Vandermause. Demovsky I like and respect.

Jason Wilde or Tom Oates are my favorite Wis. beat writers for the Packers. Wilde consistently gets under the skin of MM when he gets the usual canned answers.

pittstang5
04-06-2009, 08:14 PM
So, not to interrupt the discussion of who is the best Packer writer or whatever everyone is talking about...Does anyone know if Jason Taylor actually visited today or not?

red
04-06-2009, 08:24 PM
so we signed him, right?

:roll:

SnakeLH2006
04-07-2009, 01:31 AM

That's hearsay goddamitt!! TT locks 'em up. No FA uses GB as a bargaining chip. Oh wait. Yes they do. Sorry... :oops: