PDA

View Full Version : a reason to draft andre smith

red
04-06-2009, 07:26 PM
i was just looking at some mock when i came on to this site

http://www.draftseason.com/lupagus-nfl-mock-draft

the guy makes a really good point as to why we may draft andre smith

9. Andre Smith OT, Alabama: The Packers will be looking for parts to fit in their new 3-4 defense this draft. But they also have to address their offensive line. McCarthy takes Smith here for two reasons, number one being he could be a steal at this point, and number two is because after making this pick McCarthy won't have the biggest set of titties on the team anymore.

RashanGary
04-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Michael Oher is getting more and more intriguing to me. Andre Smith is a better player, I just don't know if I want a guy with such character flags.

As far as Oher, the knock on him is consistency, but over his last season he had an 88% blocking consistency grade and Eugene Monroe had an 87%. He's played 4 years against the top SEC competition. The other knock on Oher the possibility of a learning disability, but he got a 22 on the wonderlic (solid for a football player).

I'm thinking Oher could be the guy, but really, knowing Ted, I know I have no clue.

rbaloha1
04-06-2009, 07:42 PM
AS would be an outstanding pick at this slot.

RashanGary
04-06-2009, 07:43 PM
I saw a post where Waldo said Oher wasn't agile enough a while back. His combine numbers were nearly identical to Eugene Monroe's and Monroe was still a top pick. Oher also graded out higher in blocking consistency.

Seems to me Oher's getting an unfair shake here. I think he could be a great player picked up in our area of the first round.

Lurker64
04-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Oher is much more agile than Andre Smith. If we drafted Andre Smith, he would instantly be the least athletic person on the offensive line, except possibly Clifton. Andre Smith simply isn't a good fit for the Packers (at LT at least) due to his difficulties with the speed rush. Andre Smith is a mauling LT that's great for a team that primarily moves the ball by running it, but that team is not our team. He'd get eaten alive in a pass happy offense against the first speed rusher he faces.

RashanGary
04-06-2009, 08:04 PM
With Oher, he's got such a big, football perfect frame, you think he's going to blow guys out of their shoes (and from time to time he does).

The thing is, no offensive lineman just blows up his guy all of the time. Oher got an 88% consistency grade, yet he's labeled "inconsistent". Maybe he doesn't consistently dominate his opponent, but he consistently performs his task. No lineman in this draft consistently dominates (of even close). I don't know why Oher is expected to. I keep getting the feeling this guy is underrated. He's naturally big and explosive. He has quick feet and the ability to secure the edge. He looks like an elite prospect to me.

Lurker64
04-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Waldo wrote a really good post about why Oher got the "inconsistent" tag in another thread (http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=17195).

Oher's issues are odd.

It isn't that he's not a good LT, that's not it at all.

He's physically capable of being Joe Thomas. He's physically capable of being better than Monroe, Andre, and Jason. But he wasn't. He still kicks the butt of all the other T's hands down, but he's only in Monroe's, Andre, and Jason's league. That is people's problem with him. He's not as good as he's supposed to be with his physical tools. He should be hands down the best LT in this class on film. The fact that he's not earns him the "inconsistent and lacks heart" tag, death to the stock of LT's. He's nearly as quick and agile on his feet as Jason (moreso than Monroe and Andre), but can generate much more explosive power in his legs than Jason, even more than Eugene, so should be a superior run blocker than both.

There is a big question as to whether Andre is actually even a LT at the pro level. Joe Thomas gave up fewer sacks in his college career (1) than Andre gave up in a half playing E. Brown (2). Andre needs help with speed. He will always struggle with the Dwight Freeneys and will need help with them. He is a Mn/Pit LT, teams that move the ball by running you over. He is not and never will be a shutdown LT that allows zero pressure from the edge. That isn't his game. He's a good enough pass blocker for some/most (depends on how well he plays at the pro level and his weight), but a dominant run blocker.

For sake of comparison, Colledge neither struggles with speed or power, he struggles with length. His arms are only 33" (Oher's are 33 1/2", Monroe's are 34", J. Smith's are 33 3/4", Andre's are 35 5/8"), which is right on the lower threshold for LT's. He's plenty quick to handle guys like Freeney, it's the guys like Ware and Super Mario, with very long arms, that will get him trouble. There is very little difference physically between J. Smith and Colledge, just 3/4" arm length, Daryn is just as light on his feet.

Bretsky
04-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm at peace with Oher too; I'd be disappointed with Andre Smith

red
04-06-2009, 08:52 PM
well i guess you guys missed the whole point of this thread

so i'll just go along

oher>smith

gbpackfan
04-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Red,

I always appreciate a good "moobs" (man boobs) joke. Well done my friend, well done.

:D

Waldo
04-06-2009, 09:45 PM
For what GB does I like Oher a little better than Smith. Were we the Vikings/Bears/Titans/Steelers that would definitely be opposite. He has more shutdown LT potential than Andre, and is better suited to ZBS run blocking.

texaspackerbacker
04-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Red,

I always appreciate a good "moobs" (man boobs) joke. Well done my friend, well done.

:D

Not to ruin a good football thread (feel free to transfer to Romper Room or whatever), but what would be the implication if it suddenly became known that an established player was actually a woman? I mean we've all seen some really big really nasty and strong black women, maybe even white ones. What if Andre Smith, for example, was outed as having a vagina to go with the big boobs? Is there any rule against him playing? I doubt it--he could probably sue.

Sorry for the weird scenario, but what if .........?

KYPack
04-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Whoa...

Somebody toss a bucket of cold water on Tex, quickly now.

When the going gets wierd, the wierd get going.

pbmax
04-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Tex, time to take a walk in the cool, fresh air. Take your phone, talk to some friends. You've been spending too much time alone I think. :lol:

I have read that Andre Smith's best position will be RT or guard. If true, then I hope whoever takes him lets him setup shop there, instead of trying to make him an LT.

Brandon494
04-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Oher is much more agile than Andre Smith. If we drafted Andre Smith, he would instantly be the least athletic person on the offensive line, except possibly Clifton. Andre Smith simply isn't a good fit for the Packers (at LT at least) due to his difficulties with the speed rush. Andre Smith is a mauling LT that's great for a team that primarily moves the ball by running it, but that team is not our team. He'd get eaten alive in a pass happy offense against the first speed rusher he faces.

When its all said and done Smith will be the best tackle taken in this years draft. Lets not forget how bad Bama looked in the Sugar Bowl without him.

Overview
An impressive physical specimen who compares to Dallas Cowboys' guard Leonard Davis, Smith possesses outstanding agility and quickness for his size. Regarded as a premier offensive line prospect out of high school and one of the standouts of the 2005 recruiting class, he went on to establish himself as the elite at the college level, as evidenced by being named the recipient of the 2008 Outland Trophy.

Even at 343 pounds, Smith displays excellent foot speed and agility. He started every game (38) in which he played for the Crimson Tide, missing the 2009 Sugar Bowl when he was ruled ineligible for direct contact with an agent. In addition to earning the Outland Trophy in 2008, he was won Alabama's Paul Crane Offensive Lineman Award, shared the Southeastern Conference's Jacobs Blocking Trophy with Arkansas' Jonathan Luigs, was twice chosen an All-SEC first-team pick and added consensus All-American first-team notice in 2008.

Smith was a three-year starter at Huffman High School. He was the consensus top-rated offensive lineman in the country as a senior. The first-team All-American choice by USA Today and the U.S. Army, he was also a two-time All-State selection. In 2005, he was the recipient of the Bobby Dodd Award and named Alabama's Mr. Football by the Alabama Sports Writers Association, becoming the only offensive lineman to ever win the honor.

Smith was also named Mr. Football and the state's best prospect by The Birmingham News. The Rivals.com Alabama Offensive Lineman of the Year recorded 88 knockdown blocks and was named the Class 6A Lineman of the Year in 2005. He was one of four finalists for the Walter Payton Award, given to the best prep player in the nation.

Smith enrolled at Alabama in 2005, taking over at left tackle. He became the seventh true freshman in school history to start in his first career game since 1972, joining Larry Rose (1985), Jon Stevenson (1991), Terry Jones, Jr. (1988), Dante Ellington (1999), Saleem Rasheed (1999) and Tim Castille (2003). He delivered 70 knockdown blocks as he led the team by being on the field for 831 offensive and special teams plays.

Smith garnered team Player of the Week honors four times during his sophomore season, when he shed over 25 pounds from his once 370-pound frame prior to the season opener.

He started all 13 games, as he was named All-SEC and earned the league's Jacobs Blocking Trophy. He led the conference down linemen with 116 knockdowns and had fifteen touchdown-resulting blocks while allowing only 1.5 quarterback sacks on 472 pass plays. He was penalized five times and played the second part of the season with a left ankle sprain suffered vs. Tennessee and a right ankle sprain incurred the next week in the Louisiana State clash.

As a junior, Smith was a consensus All-American and unanimous All-SEC first-team pick. The Outland Trophy and Jacobs Blocking Trophy recipient saw his campaign get off to a rough start. He suffered a knee sprain in the season opener vs. Clemson that forced him to sit out the following week vs. Tulane and play just two quarters upon his return, vs. Western Kentucky. He also sprained his elbow in the season's sixth contest vs. Kentucky, but still delivered 103 knockdowns while pacing SEC blockers with seventeen touchdown-resulting blocks.

3irty1
04-07-2009, 01:09 AM
Tex, time to take a walk in the cool, fresh air. Take your phone, talk to some friends. You've been spending too much time alone I think. :lol:

I have read that Andre Smith's best position will be RT or guard. If true, then I hope whoever takes him lets him setup shop there, instead of trying to make him an LT.

For #9 money wouldn't he pretty much have to play LT?

rbaloha1
04-07-2009, 12:25 PM

When its all said and done Smith will be the best tackle taken in this years draft. Lets not forget how bad Bama looked in the Sugar Bowl without him.

Overview
An impressive physical specimen who compares to Dallas Cowboys' guard Leonard Davis, Smith possesses outstanding agility and quickness for his size. Regarded as a premier offensive line prospect out of high school and one of the standouts of the 2005 recruiting class, he went on to establish himself as the elite at the college level, as evidenced by being named the recipient of the 2008 Outland Trophy.

Even at 343 pounds, Smith displays excellent foot speed and agility. [ notice in 2008.
He delivered 70 knockdown blocks as he led the team by being on the field for 831 offensive and special teams plays.

He led the conference down linemen with 116 knockdowns and had fifteen touchdown-resulting blocks while allowing only 1.5 quarterback sacks on 472 pass plays.but still delivered 103 knockdowns while pacing SEC blockers with seventeen touchdown-resulting blocks.

This type of information confirms AS athleticism and ability to handle speed rushers in a conference filled with speed rushers.

TT has maintained he always look at game tape first not combine and drill numbers. Some of the posters post numbers w/o evaluating actually play on the field.

If a player consistently dominates at his position but does not have great drill numbers are you going to dismiss play on the field?

Conversely are you going to elevate players with great combine numbers but lackluster play?

AS had a great career at Alabama under pro type coaches Shula and Saban.

Again unsure of the Oher comparison but it would be a great pick for the Packers.

rbaloha1
04-07-2009, 12:26 PM

For #9 money wouldn't he pretty much have to play LT?

Good point. AS is capable.

rbaloha1
04-07-2009, 12:29 PM
The knockdowns also prove AS ability to get to the second level -- crucial to zbs.

Okay, AS has the worse drill numbers of the current o-line. Which current Packer o-linemen had the college success of AS?