PDA

View Full Version : Draft Wish List : Revised

The Shadow
04-08-2009, 07:01 PM
It never fails : After pouring over 4 or 5 draft publications, there's NOBODY I really want with our first pick. Every player seems to have some glaring downside that does not match up with the amount of money they cost.

Still......
I was originally a B.J. Raji fan, because a big old monster in the middle would be tempting, but after careful consideration :
- I asked myself "What really hurt us the most last season?" The answer, for me, was : the mediocre pass rush. Time and again, our inability to put heat on the opposing quarterback proved costly.

So : I am now thinking that Maybin might be the best choice. Yes, I know we all remember that last Ron Wolf 1st round choice, but still.....if TT satisfies himself that Maybin's unlimited athletic prowess passes muster, a pass rush presence opposite Kamp (and including Jenkins) could do a tremendous amount of good for our defense.
In today's NFL, there is really no substitute for QB harrassment, and being gunshy over one bad pick forever can be counterproductive.
The thought of a young and gifted Maybin blowing past an old and beat up Orlando Pace to force Cutler into mistakes, as well as the thought of an ultrafast Maybin flitting past slow Viking tackles to terrorize a shaky Sage or Tavaris makes me twitter all over (if Jared Allen is gonna do it to us, why can't we reciprocate?).

Otherwise : a deal with a (maybe- interested-in Sanchez) Denver team (we have a 2nd and 2 3rds, after all) could result in a trade down to pick up a Jackson/Matthews combo.

Bottom Line : I have a lot of faith in Thompson, and am confident very good picks will be made.

retailguy
04-08-2009, 07:06 PM
"What really hurt us the most last season?"

Ummm. Well, you haven't been paying attention. BPA my friend. BPA.

Listen to the talking heads around here. We don't draft that way anymore.

Your hero is taking a long snapper. Just get used to it. Or, maybe a wide receiver or a quarterback.

:wink:

Bretsky
04-08-2009, 07:15 PM
BPA was................ the conveneint excuse for justification of Justin Harrell by many in here. Now some have turned into flippers :lol:

Joemailman
04-08-2009, 07:26 PM
It never fails : After pouring over 4 or 5 draft publications, there's NOBODY I really want with our first pick. Every player seems to have some glaring downside that does not match up with the amount of money they cost.

Still......
I was originally a B.J. Raji fan, because a big old monster in the middle would be tempting, but after careful consideration :
- I asked myself "What really hurt us the most last season?" The answer, for me, was : the mediocre pass rush. Time and again, our inability to put heat on the opposing quarterback proved costly.

True, but a beast in the middle who can force double teams and collapse the pocket can help your pass rush immensely. He is worth the #9 pick if he can do that.

The Shadow
04-08-2009, 07:29 PM

Still......

True, but a beast in the middle who can force double teams and collapse the pocket can help your pass rush immensely. He is worth the #9 pick if he can do that.

I agree. But then I read a quote from a scout in the new Pro Football Weekly calling him 'a dog'. According to the (unnamed) scout, "Show me one game that he has dominated."
And then I get all queasy.

Fritz
04-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Well, I suppose TT could borrow from Wolf's bag o' tricks and draft three players in the first three rounds that fill a single need.

I think there are limits to either philosophy. For example, if Bretsky is a "needs" GM, and he's sitting there at his turn, needing a defensive nose tackle, but there are none that remotely interest him at say the #9 spot. Raji's gone, and no one else looks even close to him. The next nose tackle won't get drafted until round two, for sure. So...does he take a crappy nose tackle, or does he grab that hot wide receiver?

Conversely, if that wide receiver is available as well as the nose tackle who is rated highly, but the receiver is rated slightly better at his position than the nose, and no other comparable receivers or nose tackles are available later, Ted Thompson might well take the "need" player.

The Shadow
04-09-2009, 04:53 PM
I think the switch to the 3-4 might force a slight adjustment to the BPA approach. I just don't see taking a receiver in the first round.

chain_gang
04-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I guess right now, with the way the draft may fall. I'm hoping for a trade down in the first. This does not seemed to be the year to have a top 10 pick, and I see a trade with Denver(Who wants Sanchez), being on top of my list. TT seems to love second rd picks and he could get one by trading the #9 pick to Denver for the #18 and Denver's #48 pick in the second. There's value in the mid first round, and a lot of value in the 2nd round to help fill some holes on our team.

The more and more I look at it, I think this scenario could happen. You have a team that is really locked onto a player(Sanchez), and a team like Green Bay that would like to accumulate more picks for the restructuring their defense, and getting some younger talent at skill positions.

CaliforniaCheez
04-10-2009, 11:11 AM
I see the Packer draft needs as

NT
OT
CB
TE
DE
LB

NT looks like a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th round pick.
OT is 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd round selection.
CB's past the 3rd round rarely pan out (If not Jenkins there are good 3rd rounders)
I not very impressed with any of the DE's in this draft.

Jolly and Pickett's contracts are expiring and time is running out on Harrell.
The Packers need a blocker sponge like Gilbert Brown more than anything.
Barnett has proven he can't get through O linemen very well and without an NT the defense will crumble a lot.

With the roster weeding that has to take place at DE, I think the Packers hold off for a year unless it is a lower round developmental pick.

There will be an unexciting LB and TE somewhere.

Expect low grades from the media "experts" who get excited over QB's, WR's and RB's.

Packnut
04-10-2009, 11:38 AM

Still......

So : I am now thinking that Maybin might be the best choice. Yes, I know we all remember that last Ron Wolf 1st round choice, but still.....if TT satisfies himself that Maybin's unlimited athletic prowess passes muster, a pass rush presence opposite Kamp (and including Jenkins) could do a tremendous amount of good for our defense.
In today's NFL, there is really no substitute for QB harrassment, and being gunshy over one bad pick forever can be counterproductive.
The thought of a young and gifted Maybin blowing past an old and beat up Orlando Pace to force Cutler into mistakes, as well as the thought of an ultrafast Maybin flitting past slow Viking tackles to terrorize a shaky Sage or Tavaris makes me twitter all over (if Jared Allen is gonna do it to us, why can't we reciprocate?).

Otherwise : a deal with a (maybe- interested-in Sanchez) Denver team (we have a 2nd and 2 3rds, after all) could result in a trade down to pick up a Jackson/Matthews combo.

Bottom Line : I have a lot of faith in Thompson, and am confident very good picks will be made.

Faith can move mountains, but it ain't gonna change poor drafting choices. Since my view is totally opposite of yours, I'm curious to read any facts you have to back your faith up.

In 4 seasons, Teddy has drafted ONE solid blue chip player. You can't call Rodgers that yet. In time, he may develope into that, but let's stick with reality and facts for now.

Now, out of his other picks, who really stands out? Colledge and Spitz, both high picks have not shown anything where you could call them above average. Jackson is a serviceable complimentary RB but he's not a #1 guy.

Hodge was a bust. Rouse is headed that way. The guy can't tackle worth shit and takes bad angles to the ball carrier. Also, he's blown a few assignments and by all accounts is'nt the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Harrell? Nuff said. Hawk? Most agree he has disappointed and has not lived up to a #5 pick. Brohm looked freakin brutal in the little that we saw him. Again, that's fine for a later rd pick, but this guy is a high rd pick.

Nelson is fine. I like him, but again he's a future #2 WR. I still believe that when your drafting a guy that high, he at least should have stud potential. Not sure he is but we'll pass on that one for now.

One more point. Where is the proverbial late rd draft pick gem? Ya know, the guy that no one looks at but ends up being gold. A lot of GM's have that on their resume, Teddy does not.

Now you could argue that not enough time has gone by to evaluate all his picks fairly. I will not dispute that. However, just based on the FACTS as they are today, where is the reason for faith? It would seem that if you make an opinion based on what we have seen so far, trepidation(sp?) would be a better term used in describing future Thompson picks.......

Packnut
04-10-2009, 11:40 AM
And before someone mentions Crosby as a late rd gem, I'd like to at least see him make some high pressure kicks before I concede his being that late rd gem.

The Shadow
04-10-2009, 03:53 PM
I guess right now, with the way the draft may fall. I'm hoping for a trade down in the first. This does not seemed to be the year to have a top 10 pick, and I see a trade with Denver(Who wants Sanchez), being on top of my list. TT seems to love second rd picks and he could get one by trading the #9 pick to Denver for the #18 and Denver's #48 pick in the second. There's value in the mid first round, and a lot of value in the 2nd round to help fill some holes on our team.

The more and more I look at it, I think this scenario could happen. You have a team that is really locked onto a player(Sanchez), and a team like Green Bay that would like to accumulate more picks for the restructuring their defense, and getting some younger talent at skill positions.

Unlike most years, there is just no one player I am intent on getting in the first round.

sharpe1027
04-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Nobody drafts without considering the team. All BPA means is that you don't go out limit yourself to only one position, you look at all players available and pick the one you think will help the team most. Then you bunker down and listen to all the media and fans complain because they think your first round pick has to be at position X. Then you use the classic BS line: "we took the BPA."

:wink:

SnakeLH2006
04-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Well, I suppose TT could borrow from Wolf's bag o' tricks and draft three players in the first three rounds that fill a single need.

I think there are limits to either philosophy. For example, if Bretsky is a "needs" GM, and he's sitting there at his turn, needing a defensive nose tackle, but there are none that remotely interest him at say the #9 spot. Raji's gone, and no one else looks even close to him. The next nose tackle won't get drafted until round two, for sure. So...does he take a crappy nose tackle, or does he grab that hot wide receiver?

Conversely, if that wide receiver is available as well as the nose tackle who is rated highly, but the receiver is rated slightly better at his position than the nose, and no other comparable receivers or nose tackles are available later, Ted Thompson might well take the "need" player.

Man, Fritz..your pure logic is scaring Snake, but oh so true...Normally I don't have a problem, even the last few years with TT's "BPA", but we have gaping holes EVERY FUCKING YEAR now and goddamn if we pick a fucking WR. What if the WR the Lions got at #1 was available at our pick...I'd normally say yes, but this shit is goddamn joke when there is "immediate" holes to fill. For once TT, draft for need and get an OT or DL (hopefully BJ).....Please......

I'm not anti-TT, but if Snake catches that mofo not filling our needs this year, esp. aschewing FA once again...you gonna bet Snake is going balls-out to bury that mofo if we get a WR, TE, or even a CB when he doesn't fix our pass-rush/run-stop/or pass-protect. Damn it all. Fritz...you are scaring Snake. Stop it man! :shock: :lol:

sharpe1027
04-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Faith can move mountains, but it ain't gonna change poor drafting choices. Since my view is totally opposite of yours, I'm curious to read any facts you have to back your faith up.

In 4 seasons, Teddy has drafted ONE solid blue chip player. You can't call Rodgers that yet. In time, he may develope into that, but let's stick with reality and facts for now.

Now, out of his other picks, who really stands out? Colledge and Spitz, both high picks have not shown anything where you could call them above average. Jackson is a serviceable complimentary RB but he's not a #1 guy.

Hodge was a bust. Rouse is headed that way. The guy can't tackle worth shit and takes bad angles to the ball carrier. Also, he's blown a few assignments and by all accounts is'nt the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Harrell? Nuff said. Hawk? Most agree he has disappointed and has not lived up to a #5 pick. Brohm looked freakin brutal in the little that we saw him. Again, that's fine for a later rd pick, but this guy is a high rd pick.

Nelson is fine. I like him, but again he's a future #2 WR. I still believe that when your drafting a guy that high, he at least should have stud potential. Not sure he is but we'll pass on that one for now.

One more point. Where is the proverbial late rd draft pick gem? Ya know, the guy that no one looks at but ends up being gold. A lot of GM's have that on their resume, Teddy does not.

Now you could argue that not enough time has gone by to evaluate all his picks fairly. I will not dispute that. However, just based on the FACTS as they are today, where is the reason for faith? It would seem that if you make an opinion based on what we have seen so far, trepidation(sp?) would be a better term used in describing future Thompson picks.......

Perspective.

Here are draft results for a GM most consider to be one of best:

first round: Unable to play expected position, first year a complete wash. Moved to a new position and played well at the new position a year after being drafted.

fourth round: released

fifth round: released

sixth round: Lost trying to be placed on the practice squad.

sixth round: - injured reserve first year; pretty much only played special teams second year

sixth round: - waived

sixth round: - released

seventh round: - released

seventh round: - never made the roster

Partial
04-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Packnut, didn't you swear to us last year that JN was going to be a stud? I seem to recall no one being as excited as you were over that draft pick.