Studs 1
Starters 12
Backups 17
Other Teams 10
Out of NFL 10

Your thoughts Packers Nation

sheepshead
04-10-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm still on the record as saying TT might pick an RB first day. This wouldnt surprise me.

Packnut
04-10-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm still on the record as saying TT might pick an RB first day. This wouldnt surprise me.

Lord knows that I have little faith in Teddy's draft picking ability, but he's not dumb enough to take a RB at 9. He's committed to Grant and in this day of economics, ya can't pay that much at RB.

Besides, we've already got Jackson at what I believe was a #2 rd pick. Either you play your high draft choices or admit you suck at drafting. If you don't use FA, then you can't afford to miss on your picks.

Gunakor
04-10-2009, 10:57 AM
9 -- Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
41 -- Connor Barwin, DE, Cincinnati
73 -- Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
83 -- Ryan Mouton, DB, Hawaii

5 Year Grade: C+

Total Picks 49
Studs 1
Starters 12
Backups 17
Other Teams 10
Out of NFL 10

Your thoughts Packers Nation

Yeah that's exactly what we need at #9...

I like Beanie Wells, but cmon. If this is the best there is for us at #9, trade down. I'm perfectly fine with Grant/Jackson as our RB tandem, but even if I wasn't I couldn't see spending top 10 money on another RB. The only reason I'd draft Wells or any other back that high is if I had nobody - and I mean NOBODY - on the depth chart worth a damn at RB. We have two very capable backs already here.

As far as TT's 5 year evaluation, it's still kinda incomplete IMO. Only one of his picks have reached star status, but his very first pick as our GM is entering only his second year of starting service in those 5 years. And his production from last season suggests he too may become a stud in this league in a very short amount of time. We don't know, but to use that as a knock against Thompson seems unfair. I wonder how they'd rate TT if his 6 year plan has 2 studs and 14 starters on his draft record. That couldn't be too much worse than anybody else in the league over that period.

rbaloha1
04-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Remember the draft grade also includes Sherman's picks. Remove those picks and TT's grade is higher.

sheepshead
04-10-2009, 11:17 AM
I dont know if TT likes anyone on the first day at RB, I do know that it pisses me off that the Vikings and Bears have better running backs then we do.

Lurker64
04-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Remember the draft grade also includes Sherman's picks. Remove those picks and TT's grade is higher.

Yeah, that 2004 draft is one of the ugliest ones I've seen: Carroll, Joey Thomas, Donnell Washington, B.J. Sander, and then Corey Williams in round 6 and Scott Wells in round 7.

It will be good to put that one behind us.

Waldo
04-10-2009, 11:49 AM

Yeah Sherman's 2004 draft represents a good % of the "out of the NFL" picks.

Most of TT's picks are still playing in the NFL, even if they aren't for us.

Also, not looking as % of hits, but total take from the draft, TT has:

1 stud (Jennings)
9 starters (Colledge, Spitz, Rodgers, Jolly, Poppinga, Hawk, Collins, Hall, Crosby)
17 backups

in 4 drafts he's averaging:

2.5 starters/4.25 backups per

With the immediately after the draft UDFA's (8th round picks) Lumpkin, Bush, Hunter, Lansanah, and Humphrey still on the team that have contributed on Sundays.

CaliforniaCheez
04-10-2009, 12:37 PM

Nothing Ted does in the draft can suprise me.

No crystal ball is good enough.

SnakeLH2006
04-10-2009, 10:32 PM

Lord knows that I have little faith in Teddy's draft picking ability, but he's not dumb enough to take a RB at 9. He's committed to Grant and in this day of economics, ya can't pay that much at RB.

Besides, we've already got Jackson at what I believe was a #2 rd pick. Either you play your high draft choices or admit you suck at drafting. If you don't use FA, then you can't afford to miss on your picks.

TT's drafting ability is fine with Snake overall...yet this is his "supposed" prowess esp. when he shuns FA's which again is fine. But other than ARod these top picks are a joke. I swear it though, if we draft a RB after his man-love for Grant and our other talented RB's at #9...his GM parking spot will stank of Snake's urine for all of 2009 and beyond. I mean that. :shock: :evil:

Waldo
04-10-2009, 10:34 PM

TT's drafting ability is fine with Snake overall...yet this is his "supposed" prowess esp. when he shuns FA's which again is fine. But other than ARod these top picks are a joke. I swear it though, if we draft a RB after his man-love for Grant and our other talented RB's at #9...his GM parking spot will stank of Snake's urine for all of 2009 and beyond. I mean that. :shock: :evil:

The two players I want most in the draft for us at #9 (other than the OT's) are Tyson Jackson and Beanie. We can do better than Grant. It will help our offense and defense.

SnakeLH2006
04-10-2009, 10:47 PM

The two players I want most in the draft for us at #9 (other than the OT's) are Tyson Jackson and Beanie. We can do better than Grant. It will help our offense and defense.

Trust Snake..I've never been a big supporter of Grant, and feel an upgrade is due at one point, yet I doubt a RB at #9 is what the Dr. ordered is all. Not that high. I've seen Wells in several games in college...he's good, but for once we need to take care of the "needs" that TT seems to neglect in FA...RB is not the answer at #9. Some sort of OT or pass rush/run stop guy for our front four DL is a must that high. Are you saying you think Beanie is so good, that we should select him at #9 if he's there? I hope not. If he's there, trade down....someone will pay handsomely for him then if he's "that" good. I guess I don't see it. Then again, there will be a riot in the streets with pitchforks if TT goes that route. Then again, again, somehow, Snake see this happening as TT's BPA. So sad. :cry:

Lurker64
04-10-2009, 10:52 PM
I can definitely see the case for a RB, just think of how much better the Packers would have been last year if they could consistently run the ball for first downs and to kill clock. Also, keep in mind that McCarthy consistently talks about how much emphasis he wants to put on the running game, an emphasis that rarely actually shows up in games. It's entirely conceivable that the Packers do have an RB targetted, but I have a hard time seeing Green Bay take one in the first, considering the talent in RB who may fall to them in the second (a Donald Brown or a LeSean McCoy may be there).

Bretsky
04-10-2009, 10:56 PM

I've been migrating to this belief as well. I'm still fine with Grant and Jackson......I think Grant is alright...but nothing special as a starter. I doubt they grab a RB in round one, but who knows.

It sure makes sense to pop down a few slots and take Jackson though.

I'm not nearly as thrilled as most about any of the OT's except for Smith and Monroe. If Monroe somehow slipped to #5 or #6 (probably won't happen), I'd be fine with TT trading up to get the guy.

rbaloha1
04-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Beanie Wells is impressive on film. Big and shifty with speed to take it to the house. More of a big play threat than Moreno.

Moreno is still my top rb. A faster Emmitt Smith (I realize his 40 time is poor). Plays fast, great receiver and excels at pass blocking. Still too high to pick at #9.

Maybe Grant's hamstring is an issue that plagues him throughout his career. TT's board could have Wells higher than the remaining players at #9. Whatever TT decides the overall team is improved.

As Lurker mentioned other rbs that are viable picks at round 2. However imo not in the class of Wells or Moreno. Overall a poor year for top rbs.