PDA

View Full Version : *Prospect Day* O-Sack-PO

Partial
04-10-2009, 05:03 PM
This guy is going to be a stud imo. He is my second favorite defender behind Maulualuga(whom we won't pick because everyone else under the sun other than me doesn't have him top 10)

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/42760982.html

This guy is a physical freak. Hugely strong, fast and powerful. His freakish strength gives him a good chance to straight up over power most OTs.

He was an extremely productive college player, including defensive freshman of the year.

If this guy is there at 9, which from all accounts is a toss up at this point, he should be taken if Mike Crabs is gone.

My one concern that I have about him is he could have problems staying healthy if he continues to try to get bigger and stronger. He has some imbalances in his physique already in his upper body, and that is an injury waiting to happen.

In the YouTube videos posted, you see him blowing past OSU, Missou and Oklahoma LTs. All three of those schools produced top 10 teams, and are going to have very good prospects at LT. He is literally exploding right past them play after play!!

People are considered pretty GD strong when their 3 popular lifts are over 1000 pounds (deadlift, squat and bench press). Orakpo's had got to be close to 2000 pounds (550 bench, 650 squat, I'm assuming 750 dead as that is typically significantly higher than squat). Freak of nature.

Joemailman
04-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Damn Partial. You gonna be okay if TT doesn't pick him? :wink: I wouldn't worry about him having injury problems from getting bigger and stronger. The Packers won't want him to get any bigger since he'll be playing OLB. If the Packers take him, they'll be trying to increase his flexibility and mobility, not his strength.

texaspackerbacker
04-10-2009, 09:19 PM
What are the odds of Orakpo being a better all around 3-4 OLB than say Jamie Thompson? I put it at 50/50.

What are the odds of him being better than Aaron Kampman? I'd guess 40/60.

Better than Jason Hunter? Probably 60/40 on that.

Ditto that for being better than Chillar.

Is that worth using a #9 first round pick? I say hell no.

Do you guys have any realistic reason to hope Orakpo--or Curry or Brown or Maybin or any of the rest of them--would have substantially better odds of being a large improvement? I doubt it.

I saw Orakpo play (on TV) in 6 or 7 games last season. He wasn't all that impressive.

SnakeLH2006
04-10-2009, 10:19 PM
So many mock draft pundits have us picking a CB (oh hell no) or a "hybrid" LB to play the 3-4? How would that make us better? I don't see it unless the LB is the 2nd coming of Shawn Merriman (doubt that too)...

Besides, Partial, news out of GB today is that TT is done as GM, as he was so mentally anguished over the fact he couldn't trade away multiple first round picks for Cutler after his trade to the Bears, he said, "WTF, why bother anymore......? A 5th rounder couldn't get me Randy, and 4 first rounders couldn't get me Jay....why do this shit? I only do this for fanboys. I'm out."

His quote, not Snake's. :roll: Fuck an LB...get some OT or DL studs. Nothing else matters for us that high in the draft....

wist43
04-10-2009, 10:41 PM
That's kind of the point... Orakpo does have the chance to be a game changer like Merriman - which is exactly why he's at the top of my wish list.

He comes of the edge fast and hard, is strong, quick, fast... he has the whole package. Just a matter if he can stay healthy.

Personally, I think he'll be long gone by #9, but even if he's there, I doubt TT has an interest in him. Think TT will be looking at one of the OT's.

True to our PR Mock draft... think the pick may be Oher.

Bretsky
04-10-2009, 10:51 PM
What are the odds of Orakpo being a better all around 3-4 OLB than say Jamie Thompson? I put it at 50/50.

Do you guys have any realistic reason to hope Orakpo--or Curry or Brown or Maybin or any of the rest of them--would have substantially better odds of being a large improvement? I doubt it.

I saw Orakpo play (on TV) in 6 or 7 games last season. He wasn't all that impressive.

Who is Jamie Thompson ? If you are going to argue this guy, who has shown very little so far, is equivalent to a top 15 talent selection, it would be good to at least get his name correct. He didn't show much last year.

Jason Hunter ? Maybe he'll be alright but believing he'll be a player is blind faith. Personally I have some hope for Hunter; but talent wise he's not in the same world as Orakpo.

Chillar is at least decent; and I won't argue anythink against Kampman til I see him play there. He's excelled every time the doubters knocked and my bet is he'll do fine again.

All of those rookies you mentioned would probably be stellar upgrades IMO to to Jeremy Thompson or Hunter.

Bretsky
04-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Orakpo will be gone; but if he's there at 9 it'd be hard to pass him up IMO

texaspackerbacker
04-11-2009, 08:48 AM

Who is Jamie Thompson ? If you are going to argue this guy, who has shown very little so far, is equivalent to a top 15 talent selection, it would be good to at least get his name correct. He didn't show much last year.

Jason Hunter ? Maybe he'll be alright but believing he'll be a player is blind faith. Personally I have some hope for Hunter; but talent wise he's not in the same world as Orakpo.

Chillar is at least decent; and I won't argue anythink against Kampman til I see him play there. He's excelled every time the doubters knocked and my bet is he'll do fine again.

All of those rookies you mentioned would probably be stellar upgrades IMO to to Jeremy Thompson or Hunter.

Jeremy, not Jamie--sorry about that.

My point is that it takes about equally much blind faith to assume Orakpo or Curry or Maybin or Brown will be the second coming of Lawrence Taylor--and not the next Jamal Reynolds, as it does to foresee success for Thompson, Hunter, Chillar, not to mention Kampman.

As I said, Orakpo just didn't look that good in a lot of games; Maybin looked OK in a few I saw him, but more like college OK that won't transfer well to the oros; Brown I saw disappear badly against the Badgers.

Conversely Offensive Tackles who are great in college tend to be great pros in a greater percentage than pass rushers, and IMO, we have a much more significant need at OT.

KYPack
04-11-2009, 09:53 AM
I was wondering what you thought of him, Tex. I watched the Fiesta Bowl and didn't see much of Orakpo. He did get a sack, I didn't remember him doing that much. He did play a backer in some of their specialty defenses, I see.

He's the kind of tweener you'd almost have to take if he was still on the board. They could take Orakpo and still have a shot at a decent OT prospect.

The choice is, get an elite OT prospect, or get as a good 3-4 guy in orakpo and take a shot at a development guy at OT with our 2.

So TT will take the corner, right?

wist43
04-11-2009, 10:42 AM
I was wondering what you thought of him, Tex. I watched the Fiesta Bowl and didn't see much of Orakpo. He did get a sack, I didn't remember him doing that much. He did play a backer in some of their specialty defenses, I see.

He's the kind of tweener you'd almost have to take if he was still on the board. They could take Orakpo and still have a shot at a decent OT prospect.

The choice is, get an elite OT prospect, or get as a good 3-4 guy in orakpo and take a shot at a development guy at OT with our 2.

I think Orakpo has a chance to be at least as good as Adalius Thomas... He's a little shorter than Merriman, but I can see him having the same type of impact.

Hard to find those guys... everybody tries to find so many holes in these guys, that by the time the draft roles around, they're almost undraftable... I remember when Kearse came out - went 16th as I remember; Merriman, 11th??? I think.

Defense is about one thing first and foremost - pressure; you get a guy that can bring it off the edge, with a good variety of pass rush moves, and he's a muscled up freak like Orakpo who can stack and shed??? Have to take those guys if you have a shot at em.

RashanGary
04-11-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't think Orakpo is anything like Merriman. He's Vernand Gohlston. Same guy. Junk.

Lurker64
04-11-2009, 12:08 PM
It's convenient that Brian has convenient nicknames in case he's excellent (O-Sack-Po) or in case he's terrible (O-Suck-Po). As fans, we can't lose.

Partial
04-11-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't think Orakpo is anything like Merriman. He's Vernand Gohlston. Same guy. Junk.

Why do you think that? I don't see the similarities at all. Also, how many Maryland games did you see to make a statement like that? I just don't see it at all.

texaspackerbacker
04-11-2009, 12:51 PM

I'd much rather he takes a Corner than an OLB if he doesn't go for a OT.

As for that kind of player being hard to find, there are four pretty equal ones this year--all with about the same chance to be good as Orakpo--not very good chance is my guess. And there's another whole tier below that.

Great Corners or elite O Linemen are harder to find and more likely not to be busts.

packers11
04-11-2009, 02:53 PM
I'd much rather he takes a Corner than an OLB if he doesn't go for a OT.

Great Corners or elite O Linemen are harder to find and more likely not to be busts.

There isn't any corner that is elite in this draft... There is no Charles Woodson or Champ Bailey... The only guy that people are talking about is Malcom Jenkins, but he reminds me way to much of Antrel Rolle and we are already set at FS... No thanks to him...

OLB/DT/OL

I hope to god we don't draft a cb with the #9 pick...

digitaldean
04-11-2009, 10:31 PM
If we pick Jenkins, I will be having one less TV at home because I'll throw a brick through it. I still see visions of Jenkins getting beat vs. USC, no thanks!

Orakpo sure has a wide range of supporters and detractors. From the "can't miss" to "looks like Tarzan/plays like Jane" analogies.

I'd rather see Oher if it was between Oher and Orakpo at #9.

wist43
04-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Jenkins looks way to stiff in his hips, is a little long legged, his backpedal doesn't appear to be very smooth, and his speed is marginal; add all that up, and you're looking at a safety.

I think Jenkins has a good chance of busting... don't even want him in the 2nd round.

Our primary "need" (TT's protestations notwithstanding) is OLB... Kampman is not an OLB, neither is Thompson. Poppinga has proven he's not a player, and if you have MM spouting off at the combine saying he thinks Bishop can rush the passer from the outside - well, you just have to wonder if they're hitting the bong a bit too much up there at 1265.

The Packer defense simply could not bring pressure last year, bottom line. I don't care how good your secondary is, they can't cover forever... the Packers have to acquire a player that can bring it hard off the edge, and provide a physical identity in the front seven. To me, the player that best fits that description is Orakpo.

RashanGary
04-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Orakpo is the classic Jane.

Vernand Gholston II

wist43
04-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Orakpo is the classic Jane.

Vernand Gholston II

Okay, check that link out from above, and break down why Orakpo isn't a player???

I didn't like Gholston coming out, thought Hawk would be average... don't see that with Orakpo. If Orakpo busts, it will b/c of health issues, not talent.

RashanGary
04-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Orakpo tests well with his jumps and his 40 yard dash, but you see him one on one against college OT's and he cannot threaten the edge. Tackles immediately get their hands on him (even in his highlight reel). Upon getting their hands on him, he fights, sometimes getting to the QB eventually (again, in his highlight reel).

NFL OT's are going to stone him cold, knock him on his ass and remind him where he's playing from day 1. That guy cannot beat an NFL OT (neither in the run nor the pass) and that is what his primary duty is going to be.

Just say no to Jane Orakpo.

RashanGary
04-12-2009, 08:52 AM
I never saw those plays. About a month or two ago I watched the highlights on youtube of these guys and never saw that one.

He did a good job, several times getting to the edge, as well as working inside.

I'll backtrack here. He looked good in those plays. I saw some crappy highlight reels when I looked, where OT's were getting their hands all over him and he had a hard time fighting through. Speed isn't everything, but if you're not a superstar with functional leverage and power (Orakpo isn't), you better be explosive up field so your opponent is constantly off balance. I didn't see that before. I saw it in that video so I'll backtrack. He might be for real. He looked strong and explosive in that video. If can handle the easy coverage responsiblities of 3-4 OLB's, he could be a hell of a player.

PlantPage55
04-12-2009, 09:28 AM

Honestly, if you're thinking this way about our pass rushing LBs, then you obviously don't want us to draft ANY position.

If you think that we can't improve much on Jeremy Thompson, of all players, with a top 10 pick in the draft, then you obviously don't want us to draft anyone. Our entire team must have the talent you're looking for, because OLB is certainly one of our needs. (OLB, DE, OT)

Yes, Jeremy Thompson could develop into something great, but as it stands the position is a weak one.

texaspackerbacker
04-12-2009, 12:39 PM

Honestly, if you're thinking this way about our pass rushing LBs, then you obviously don't want us to draft ANY position.

If you think that we can't improve much on Jeremy Thompson, of all players, with a top 10 pick in the draft, then you obviously don't want us to draft anyone. Our entire team must have the talent you're looking for, because OLB is certainly one of our needs. (OLB, DE, OT)

Yes, Jeremy Thompson could develop into something great, but as it stands the position is a weak one.

All I'm saying is that those 3-4 OLBs mentioned are just as likely, probably more, to be like Jamal Reynolds as to be like Lawrence Taylor. You can pretty much say the same for Thompson or Hunter. I'd give Kampman better odds. Do you really want to dispute that?

I also said that there is a much better percentage of success for high drafted OTs and Corners than for pass rushers. Do you really want to dispute that?

The other thing I said is that we have a more immediate need for an OT than for an OLB. That is slightly more open to dispute by people who don't have much respect for the 3-4 OLBs that we have. Just the same, I'd go with an OT.

SnakeLH2006
04-15-2009, 12:51 AM
Rapture is a-coming baby.

This may violate PackerRats TOS :lol:, but as I never thought anyone (even Snake) could agree with JH and Partial in the same post...but here it is.

Orry might turn out well..but tweeners normally don't do so well in the NFL. He may be a beast, but hey..why take a chance..get the OT or DT we need?

Either way, Partial is on the Bishop bandwagon...although as Wist said if TT thinks he can pass rush with his 4.82 speed..TT must be hitting some bongs, but hey, that kid WILL be a run-stuffing beast-type player at ILB, and this year.

Quote it. I support both their takes. :shock: 8-)