PDA

View Full Version : Report: Browns looking to deal Quinn, Edwards

packers11
04-12-2009, 12:26 PM
www.rotoworld.com

According to the National Football Post's Michael Lombardi, the Browns have offers on the table for both Brady Quinn and Braylon Edwards and will likely move both players.

One team has reportedly made a standing offer of a first-round pick for Quinn, which the Browns will likely accept. They also have a package of at least a first-round pick on the table for Braylon Edwards, and Lombardi expects him to be dealt sometime this offseason. It's clear now that the Browns are in full-blown rebuilding mode after Phil Savage left the roster in shambles. Apr. 12 - 9:02 am et

Source: National Football Post

I am shocked they are ready to trade Quinn... Although there is new management, give Quinn a chance at QB, do they think Derek Anderson is the answer?

Lurker64
04-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Will the Browns have any players of note left after this offseason? Quick, offer then a first for Joe Thomas...

Partial
04-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Will the Browns have any players of note left after this offseason? Quick, offer then a first for Joe Thomas...

Would you give up #9 for JT? I'm not sure if I would. It'd require some thought.

packers11
04-12-2009, 12:33 PM

Would you give up #9 for JT? I'm not sure if I would. It'd require some thought.

In a heartbeat... The #9 pick for a stud LT for the next decade... No doubt I would do that trade...

bobblehead
04-12-2009, 12:33 PM
New management is purging salary and aquiring picks to rebuild. They must have done an analysis and decided either a) quinn nor anderson are the answer b) both are good NFL QB's and Quinn has more trade value or c) anderson is the answer.

I find this interesting that yet another team that "went for it" is in rebuilding mode. Trading away future picks to move up, aquiring guys like CWilliams for high picks and paying max dollar. Not sure how many times that method has to fail before teams stop trying it. But again if you are a GM on the hot seat I guess it doesn't matter if you mortgage the future to save another year at $1 million plus.

Sadly if the pack falters this year TT could do the same thing. If his picks don't pan out and he proves to not have the acumen to pick players we hope/think he does I see him making a few big moves in FA next off season to try and get a winner on the field. Hopefully '09 is a great year and it won't come to that.

Rastak
04-12-2009, 12:41 PM

The only thought would be which phone to use to call them and accept the deal.

Lurker64
04-12-2009, 12:47 PM

Considering that if they redid the 2007 NFL draft, the top two picks would be Adrian Peterson and Joe Thomas (in some order), I wouldn't even hesitate.

KYPack
04-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Oh yeah. Ras has got it. The Cleveland Clowns can have our 9 for JT in a minute. That guy will play 10 more years. He's close to All-Pro now. He will explode in the next seasons.

He's one of those rare lineman that was never a rookie.

No way even Mangenious is dumb enuff to make that deal.

He was a Savage pick. That seems to be a terminal deal in Cleve right now, there's always a slight chance.

rbaloha1
04-12-2009, 12:58 PM
The Browns committed huge dollars to Derek Anderson. Trade makes sense since the Browns are rebuilding under Coach Mangini.

Partial
04-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Wow, lots of people extremely high on him. I knew he had a good rookie year but haven't heard anyhting of him since.

Would you give up a 1 and a 2 to get him? To me, getting a known entity that is a stud is a much better idea than going with two possible unknowns imo.

rbaloha1
04-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Wow, lots of people extremely high on him. I knew he had a good rookie year but haven't heard anyhting of him since.

Would you give up a 1 and a 2 to get him? To me, getting a known entity that is a stud is a much better idea than going with two possible unknowns imo.

This is not saying much but I would take Quinn over Staford and Sanchez.

falco
04-12-2009, 01:21 PM
let's give them our extra 3rd for shaun rogers

Patler
04-12-2009, 01:37 PM

Not only would I give the #9 pick, I would throw in something extra if they wanted it. Not a 1-4 round pick. But, I would be ecstatic if they took just the #9, so would be willing to sweeten it with a little something extra if that is what it took.

The guy has been to the Pro-Bowl in his 1st and 2nd years, and was a starter this year. He is about as solid of an individual as you will ever meet. There is absolutely no downside to him, nothing negative, and he has already proven himself to be among the best LTs in the game today. He pass blocks and he run blocks very, very well. Unless the #9 brings you a future NFL HOF'er, you won't get a better, more important player than Thomas. He would be a perfect player for the Packers to get with their #9.

KYPack
04-12-2009, 02:40 PM

Not only would I give the #9 pick, I would throw in something extra if they wanted it. Not a 1-4 round pick. But, I would be ecstatic if they took just the #9, so would be willing to sweeten it with a little something extra if that is what it took.

The guy has been to the Pro-Bowl in his 1st and 2nd years, and was a starter this year. He is about as solid of an individual as you will ever meet. There is absolutely no downside to him, nothing negative, and he has already proven himself to be among the best LTs in the game today. He pass blocks and he run blocks very, very well. Unless the #9 brings you a future NFL HOF'er, you won't get a better, more important player than Thomas. He would be a perfect player for the Packers to get with their #9.

Our 1 and any OLineman except Colledge would be fine with me.

Let's say our 1 & Moll, write up the paperwork and alert both teams?

packerbacker1234
04-12-2009, 03:56 PM

He went to the probowl in year 2.

Pretty sure Joe Thomas is a stud.

cpk1994
04-12-2009, 04:40 PM

The guy has been to the Pro-Bowl in his 1st and 2nd years, and was a starter this year. He is about as solid of an individual as you will ever meet. There is absolutely no downside to him, nothing negative, and he has already proven himself to be among the best LTs in the game today. He pass blocks and he run blocks very, very well. Unless the #9 brings you a future NFL HOF'er, you won't get a better, more important player than Thomas. He would be a perfect player for the Packers to get with their #9.I agree 100%.

DonHutson
04-12-2009, 05:09 PM
So they made a mistake by giving Anderson too much money, so to resolve that issue they want to trade Quinn (who's not making THAT much money as a mid first-rounder) before giving him a real chance?

Stallworth likely has a room booked at the Old Graybar Hotel, they traded Winslow, now they want to trade Edwards? If Anderson is the guy, they sure don't want to help him out any.

If you are going to liquidate all of your assets into draft picks, is this the year you want to that? This doesn't strike me as a particular talent laden draft class.

I guess you can't really break something that's already broken, but it doesn't seem to me that they're making their jobs any easier.

retailguy
04-12-2009, 05:16 PM
So they made a mistake by giving Anderson too much money, so to resolve that issue they want to trade Quinn (who's not making THAT much money as a mid first-rounder) before giving him a real chance?

Stallworth likely has a room booked at the Old Graybar Hotel, they traded Winslow, now they want to trade Edwards? If Anderson is the guy, they sure don't want to help him out any.

If you are going to liquidate all of your assets into draft picks, is this the year you want to that? This doesn't strike me as a particular talent laden draft class.

I guess you can't really break something that's already broken, but it doesn't seem to me that they're making their jobs any easier.

Unless they view Anderson as a placeholder and plan to draft Sanchez?

that actually makes some sense.

KYPack
04-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Remember last off-season?

The Browns were the paper champions.

They made all the right moves and were poised to make a major run.

One year later and they are a shambles.

The Steelers built thru the draft and are Champs.

Seems obvious which model works the best.

Guiness
04-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Joe Thomas is worth our first, no question. He's a young guy who's played at a high level already. We're hoping to land a young guy who can play at a high level! As pointed out, he would probably go #2 if that draft was redone today, so in our situation, 2 first round picks would probably be a fair price - especially considering I've got confidence that the 2010 pick will be well into the twenties...or 30's!!!

Of course, all this talk of what Cleveland might want for JT is just idle chatter; cause he ain't going anywhere!

Lurker64
04-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Of course, all this talk of what Cleveland might want for JT is just idle chatter; cause he ain't going anywhere!

Exactly. He's their best player. I was just remarking at the rate at which they're sloughing talent.

Freak Out
04-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Nice to talk about JT but he's not the one being traded.

bobblehead
04-12-2009, 07:03 PM

I know I've blown the LT horn a lot, but I would actually give our 9 and the latter 3rd rounder (Jets pick) for Joe Thomas in a heartbeat. I can't say enough about how important I think it is to protect the blindside, and if the guy can run block, huge bonus.

BlueBrewer
04-12-2009, 07:09 PM

I believe my IQ went down from just reading your stupidity.

digitaldean
04-12-2009, 07:44 PM

You gotta be kidding me. I'd do that in a freakin' heartbeat!

Tyrone Bigguns
04-12-2009, 09:24 PM

A #9 is far to high a price to pay for a 2 team pro bowler and potential HOF.
:roll:

Partial
04-12-2009, 09:27 PM

HOF might be pushing it at this stage, but yeah, knowing what I do now, hell yeah I'd make the deal.

Christ, everyone jumps on a guy for not following an AFC tackle that closely :D

Tyrone Bigguns
04-12-2009, 09:31 PM

HOF might be pushing it at this stage, but yeah, knowing what I do now, hell yeah I'd make the deal.

Hence the word potential.

But, pushing it....how so? Third pick overall, 2 consecutive pro bowls, rookie of the year runner up, etc.

That is exactly what you look for when forecasting a HOF.

Just get it over and confirm upon JT the valued Partial "it" label. Or, does Money Morency only warrant that prestigious evaluation? :lol:

Patler
04-12-2009, 11:41 PM

Our 1 and any OLineman except Colledge would be fine with me.

Let's say our 1 & Moll, write up the paperwork and alert both teams?

I wouldn't throw in Spitz or Sitton either at this point. Moll I would throw in without hesitation.

KYPack
04-13-2009, 08:11 AM
We are all talking about a mythical deal anyway. I can't imagine the Browns dealing JT at this point. He's one of the few assests that club has. Shaun Rogers, Corey Williams or Braylon Edwards are possibilities.

If the Browns were going to deal Thomas, I'd assume they want at least Sitton or Spitz AND the 1, so no deal, right?

Patler
04-13-2009, 08:18 AM
We are all talking about a mythical deal anyway. I can't imagine the Browns dealing JT at this point. He's one of the few assests that club has. Shaun Rogers, Corey Williams or Braylon Edwards are possibilities.

If the Browns were going to deal Thomas, I'd assume they want at least Sitton or Spitz AND the 1, so no deal, right?

Most of what we discuss on here is mythical! :lol:

I wouldn't give away one starter and a first to get one starter. It still leaves a hole, with no obvious replacement.

BlueBrewer
04-13-2009, 08:22 AM

Most of what we discuss on here is mythical! :lol:

I wouldn't give away one starter and a first to get one starter. It still leaves a hole, with no obvious replacement.

I would like to see Shaun Rodgers in GB. I send Montgomery and a 3rd for him.

SkinBasket
04-13-2009, 10:32 AM

Straight up. They're rebuilding, not trying to dump every good player they have. Thomas is a player you rebuild around. No way does a team like CLE roll the dice on a 1st round draft pick (especially this year) in exchange for the future of the franchise.

ND72
04-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but why the hell wouldn't Detroit send the #20 pick to cleveland for Brady Quinn? then take the top LT at #1? or even swap the #1 and #5 picks for quinn...or something. Detroit has had plenty of chances at a franchise type QB this offseason, in the NFL I trust that before a rookie. And I know Quinn is unproven, but wow...

KYPack
04-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but why the hell wouldn't Detroit send the #20 pick to cleveland for Brady Quinn? then take the top LT at #1? or even swap the #1 and #5 picks for quinn...or something. Detroit has had plenty of chances at a franchise type QB this offseason, in the NFL I trust that before a rookie. And I know Quinn is unproven, but wow...

Detroit would do a lot better to adopt this philosophy and change for the sake of changing. The "Millen way" (whatever that was) didn't work worth shit, why not try a new path?

Quinn? Man I just don't know about him. Watched a game he started last year. You could've run that game plan in a phone booth. All short digs and slants. I thought "after two years, that's all they trust him with"? Quinn look at his first read, go to another short checkdown and take off if they weren't open. When he threw a ball over 12 yards, he tossed softballs. I imagine they wanted to eliminate the picks, but his arm strength looked suspect. I can see why he fell, he doesn't seem to have an NFL wing at all.

Lurker64
04-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Quinn? Man I just don't know about him. Watched a game he started last year. You could've run that game plan in a phone booth. All short digs and slants. I thought "after two years, that's all they trust him with"? Quinn look at his first read, go to another short checkdown and take off if they weren't open.

Though, with all the balls dropped by his WRs last year, you can see why he'd be hesitant to fling it. That Browns team was diseased last year, and I don't think they're going to be better this year. Particularly if they're trading away most of their prospects for picks in a draft that isn't all that scintillating.

KYPack
04-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Quinn? Man I just don't know about him. Watched a game he started last year. You could've run that game plan in a phone booth. All short digs and slants. I thought "after two years, that's all they trust him with"? Quinn look at his first read, go to another short checkdown and take off if they weren't open.

Though, with all the balls dropped by his WRs last year, you can see why he'd be hesitant to fling it. That Browns team was diseased last year, and I don't think they're going to be better this year. Particularly if they're trading away most of their prospects for picks in a draft that isn't all that scintillating.

That's agood point Lurk.

Braylon Edwards led the league in dropped balls last season. He was also the lowest WR in terms of passes tossed to him not being completions. Only 40% of the balls thrown his way were completed. To me Quinn looks like an average to below average QB, but who knows? Maybe he'd be a world beater if he played for NE.

Partial
04-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Somebody is gonna give up a first rounder for Edwards too in all likelyhood for a ton of athleticism but evidently few completions. Thats crazy talk.

Give me a GJ over an Edwards every day of the week!!

Lurker64
04-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Somebody is gonna give up a first rounder for Edwards too in all likelyhood for a ton of athleticism but evidently few completions. Thats crazy talk.

Give me a GJ over an Edwards every day of the week!!

Yeah, Braylon Edwards is not worth a first. Maybe a low second, but definitely not a first.