PDA

View Full Version : Harry Kalas Dies

Joemailman
04-13-2009, 08:12 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=538209

The immediate focus, understandably, is on his role as the Phillies announcer, but he has been the voice of NFL films. I wonder who his replacement there will be.

Rastak
04-13-2009, 08:36 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=538209

The immediate focus, understandably, is on his role as the Phillies announcer, but he has been the voice of NFL films. I wonder who his replacement there will be.

I saw this. Real sad news. I recall the dude exclusively as a voice for the NFL.

RIP.

pbmax
04-13-2009, 08:45 PM
This stinks out loud. I heard Kalas call a lot of Phillies games while living in PA and he was a beaut. Not as funny as Uecker, not as smooth as Scully, but very smart, willing to laugh, quick and had a way with his catch phrases that did not let them get in the way of his broadcast.

Best moment I remember is a game where they were playing the Pirates and Kalas and partner called a bench clearing brawl by remarking it was a good thing that Stargell, Parker, Schmidt and Luzinski were playing peacemaker instead of trying to land haymakers.

As good as he was on NFL Films, he was better at baseball.

sheepshead
04-13-2009, 09:22 PM
And Mark "the Bird" Fidrych and Marilyn Chambers...not a good day.

gbgary
04-13-2009, 10:17 PM
And Mark "the Bird" Fidrych and Marilyn Chambers...not a good day.

the trifecta. two out of three hall-of-famers. :cry:

Tyrone Bigguns
04-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Let's skip miss chambers and add in another sports related person...Bruce Snyder.

KYPack
04-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Yeah, a heavy day yesterday. Kallas is a legendary broadcaster in two sports, baseball and football. He's in the baseball HOF and will quite probably make the NFL HOF. Harry will joining former Packer HOFer Cal Hubbard as the only man in both halls. After football, Hubbard became a HOF umpire.

Both Harry and Mark "the Bird" Fidrych died with their boots on at work.

Harry was in the booth, the Bird was driving a truck.