PDA

View Full Version : Is FF ruining the game from a fan's perspective?

BigDmoney
07-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Let me start this by saying that I LOVE fantasy football and I have spent waaay too much time on it over my years. This will be the first year I won't be playing FF in at leat 12-15 years because I have slowly let it ruin my perspective on players and teams success. The breaking point was last year when I was going up against Culpepper in week 3 vs. the Bangles. He had 5 interceptions, but because he ran a TD in and had a charity TD at the end he had a "good" FF game. My leage is like most others (1pt for 10yd rush/rec, 1 pt for 25yd paass, 4 pts pass td, 6pt rush/rec td) so this is all too common. It was one of the worst games I have ever seen a professional QB have. Vick can be a star in FF but he is arguably the most over-rated football player today.

jack's smirking revenge
07-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Let me start this by saying that I LOVE fantasy football and I have spent waaay too much time on it over my years. This will be the first year I won't be playing FF in at leat 12-15 years because I have slowly let it ruin my perspective on players and teams success. The breaking point was last year when I was going up against Culpepper in week 3 vs. the Bangles. He had 5 interceptions, but because he ran a TD in and had a charity TD at the end he had a "good" FF game. My leage is like most others (1pt for 10yd rush/rec, 1 pt for 25yd paass, 4 pts pass td, 6pt rush/rec td) so this is all too common. It was one of the worst games I have ever seen a professional QB have. Vick can be a star in FF but he is arguably the most over-rated football player today.

BigD, I'm about to test those waters too. Due to an extremely crazy life, I'm axeing my participation in fantasy football altogether this year. Traditionally, I've spent far too much time, stress and mental energy participating and running leagues. I don't know how I'll fare. Right now, I can't imagine not doing it. But I'm interested to see how my perspective of the game will change after stepping away from FF for a season.

It has its pros and cons, for sure. Fantasy football ultimately kills team homerism, which is a good thing, in my opinion. I love the Packers, but respect the good players on other teams. I think it teaches respect. I know that before I played fantasy football, I wore hardcore green and gold glasses and didn't respect players that played against the Pack. It took me playing fantasy football to respect players like Barry Sanders and Randy Moss--great offensive players that often killed the Pack.

But I do think it waters down passion for a single team. I know I've switched back and forth between games on Sunday to see how my fantasy players were doing, even if the Packer game was on (and especially if the Packers weren't playing well).

The bottom line is that its good because it increases awareness, educates and fosters participation. I have turned quite a few people into football fans simply by getting them involved in fantasy football.

tyler

wist43
07-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Hasn't affected me one way or the other... I'm in two leagues and always field competetive teams.

Set your lineup, cheer the Packers, and let the chips fall where they may.

Tony Oday
07-13-2006, 03:02 PM
I think it has increased my football IQ when it comes to knowing players and such. I also think it gives me a reason to watch some games. I mean the 49ers against the Texans last year! I never would have watched that game but I had Gore and Johsnon playing :)

BallHawk
07-13-2006, 03:03 PM
I watched that game because it was a big factor in our draft spot.

Noodle
07-13-2006, 03:07 PM
It's an interesting question. I did baseball (American League) roto for a number of years before I had to give it up. It was cool having in-depth knowledge of all the players, and I mean all the players, as well as the minor league prospects.

But, maybe because of my addictive personality, it got way bigger than the game itself. Too much pulling for individuals, not enough focus on my favorite team.

So yeah, after quiting roto, games involving teams that I could care less about, I care less about, and instead I focus on other things, like life. I think this may be a good thing.

One thing it did teach me was sympathy for the GMs of the world. I can't tell you how many times I thought I had found the real deal only to have the guy underperform his salary.

Deputy Nutz
07-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Well my addiction to fantasy league baseball happened after only one hit of that stuff. I am about to jump into the waters of FF and my wife is scared

BigDmoney
07-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Well my addiction to fantasy league baseball happened after only one hit of that stuff. I am about to jump into the waters of FF and my wife is scared

I am the same way. I am in no less then 2 leagues every year. I swore it off this year, but I know as soon as I see all my friends getting together for the drafts I may give in to temptation.

Green Bud Packer
07-13-2006, 05:36 PM
F.F. has brought many border line bandwagon fans deeper into the realm of the N.F.L. i can almost have an intelligent conversation about pro ball with my wife for fantasy's sake. i can now mention manning to her and she'll ask" which one?" when i tell her archie her brain blows a fuse, which is remarkable that after 25 years of marriage she still blows a couple of things.

Row 67
07-13-2006, 07:52 PM
FF sucks. Its like coffee- once you're addicted, you have to have it. You obsess about it constantly, and if you don't have it, you are an absolute a-hole to be around until you get your fix.

My brother was addicted. I couldn't stand being in the same room with him on a Sunday afternoon. Instead of sitting back and enjoying the Packer game, he'd be flipping channels, checking scores, stats, getting all worked up because some AFC team's defense scored a TD. He could have cared less about watching football, he just wanted the "numbers" to come out so he could make some money.

Just like when I entered the workforce and noticed how coffee drinker's moods revolved around their java, I decided right then and there I'd never play FF. I don't need something running my life. I like to enjoy it.

LEWCWA
07-13-2006, 09:25 PM
To me the number addiction is easily ratified with the internet, I can easily check other games during commercials and never miss a second of Packer football! Actually, the draft is the only reason I play. If it weren't for the draft every year at the bar I probably wouldn't play!!!

Scott Campbell
07-13-2006, 09:29 PM
FF sucks. Its like coffee- once you're addicted, you have to have it. You obsess about it constantly, and if you don't have it, you are an absolute a-hole to be around until you get your fix.

My brother was addicted. I couldn't stand being in the same room with him on a Sunday afternoon. Instead of sitting back and enjoying the Packer game, he'd be flipping channels, checking scores, stats, getting all worked up because some AFC team's defense scored a TD. He could have cared less about watching football, he just wanted the "numbers" to come out so he could make some money.

Just like when I entered the workforce and noticed how coffee drinker's moods revolved around their java, I decided right then and there I'd never play FF. I don't need something running my life. I like to enjoy it.

I quit 15 years ago after proving everything I had to in my fantasy leagues. I enjoy watching football a lot more without the FF leagues hanging over my head.

woodbuck27
07-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Excellent comments PRO and CON.

Being into Fantasy Football may make your NFL IQ rise indeed; but it may cause you to lose some focus as well, on game day, although the Internet has it all a few clicks away.

I've been in many NHL Hockey Pools over the years and this stuff can get into your FREE - free time.

For some reason I havn't tried Fantasy football, and I've been an NFL (Packer fan) for a long time.

Deputy Nutz
07-13-2006, 10:39 PM

I told myself I was never going to play Fantasy because of the sick addiction, well I broke down, and played the original fantasy sport, baseball. It is every fucking day. At least with football you only have one day of games. Try 6 days of games. Man its like crack. I got so pissed today because I knew Sidney Ponson who is a fat tub of shit was just signed by the Yanks, I wanted to pick him up, but I was away from a computer, I tried and tried, but nothing worked, I was sad for like three hours. :cry:

HarveyWallbangers
07-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Fantasy ball is a curse, but it's something I'm likely not going to give up until my geriatric ass can no longer drag myself to a computer.

BTW, fantasy hockey rivals fantasy baseball as a roto sport. It's sweet that you need good goaltending, scorers, players on winning teams (plus/minus), and thugs (penalty minutes). I actually prefer the roto leagues. I'd rank them in this order: baseball, hockey, football, basketball.

Noodle
07-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Nutz hit it on the head about baseball, it's every friggin day. And now, with 24/7 Internet coverage, it's every friggin' minute of every friggin' day. I have every reason to believe I'd be dead by now if I were still in the game.

I've tried to kid myself that I could handle FF because it's a weekly thing, and there are far fewer guys and stats to follow. But at some point, you gotta know who you are. And I am Jack Lemmon in Days of Wine and Roses.

So if you're a laid back guy who just wants to have some yucks with the buds on draft day and then could care less how your team does, then roto or fantasy anything is a great way to know the sport. But if you're the kind of obsessive personality who likes to do things like, oh, I don't know, frequent Internet forums, then maybe you should just step away.

chain_gang
07-14-2006, 09:10 AM
It could ruin it I guess, I've never had much of problem with it ruining my fun. Actually if anything it made me watch even more games. I've always been NFL fan not just a Packer fan. I mean the Pack comes first always has always will. But during a bye week, I'm still watching all the games I can, not so I can track my FF stats, those are easily available monday morning, but so I can enjoy some football and not really care who wins or loses. Actually being a die hard for any NFL team can be more stressful than any FF league. It's always nice to watch those couple games a week, where you don't care who wins or loses.

For somes fans FF may ruin it for them, for me it's a nice casual game to play, that doesn't require much effort.

Harlan Huckleby
07-14-2006, 11:01 AM
FF ruined my life. I'm not ready to talk about it.

Spaulding
07-14-2006, 11:06 AM
LEWCWA hit it on the head. It's all about he draft. My only rule is if the Pack is on, they stay on. No channel surfing allowed in my household (at least on the big screen - hehe).

You gotta admit it's funny when all the TV analysts start joining in on the projections for players each week. It's the epidimy of "get a life" and I'm as guilty as anyone there.

For those you who've been playing a while, think back to the days before the Internet and when the Monday morning paper was the holy grail for collecting stats and determing how your players did and the the Thursday paper was for the injury list.

Ah the simpler life...

wist43
07-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Do what I do... play golf b/4 the Packer game, obsess over every ticker update during the game, then go play golf after the Packer game, then go home and check the scores, then go play golf some more...

FF obsessive and addictive??? Nah... golf is addictive. Actually I'm thinking of starting a 12 step program for golfers. Maybe we could include FF addicts in there???

BigDmoney
07-14-2006, 11:23 AM
LEWCWA hit it on the head. It's all about he draft. My only rule is if the Pack is on, they stay on. No channel surfing allowed in my household (at least on the big screen - hehe).

You gotta admit it's funny when all the TV analysts start joining in on the projections for players each week. It's the epidimy of "get a life" and I'm as guilty as anyone there.

For those you who've been playing a while, think back to the days before the Internet and when the Monday morning paper was the holy grail for collecting stats and determing how your players did and the the Thursday paper was for the injury list.

Ah the simpler life...

No kidding. being a comissioner now is nothing like it was 10 years ago. Hours of of work and math. This Internet invention rocks.

Willard
07-14-2006, 11:34 AM

The first step towards recovery is to admit that you are powerless over fantasy football......