PDA

View Full Version : Packers Sign Nose tackle Brian Soi

Joemailman
04-14-2009, 07:36 PM
http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2009/04/14/3/

What do you mean, "Who is he"? How the hell would I know? Ask Waldo.

Gunakor
04-14-2009, 07:43 PM
6'3" 334 is good. Being an undrafted FA released by the Dolphins before the season began isn't quite so good. I wonder if this guy has any value other than being a camp body?

red
04-14-2009, 07:55 PM
he was released before the season by the dolphins in 07. i think he was out of football that whole year.

then the giants brought him in last year but also released him before the season

the guy was a big time recruit out of high school, but missed some years in college after having to transfer from BYU to utah state after he signed with BYU only to find out he didn't qualify grades wise

Lurker64
04-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Worth a look, but probably just a camp body.

gbpackfan
04-14-2009, 08:00 PM
He'll get cut in camp........if not sooner. But what the hell, worth a look.

Joemailman
04-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Two things about Soi. He was cut by Miami on Sep. 1, 2007, which means he made it to the final round of cuts despite having a wrist injury earlier in training camp.

Second, Capers was the DC in Miami at the time, so he likely knows quite a bit about the guy. Not saying he'll make it, but I suspect the Packers see him as more than a camp body.

Brandon494
04-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Two things about Soi. He was cut by Miami on Sep. 1, 2007, which means he made it to the final round of cuts despite having a wrist injury earlier in training camp.

Second, Capers was the DC in Miami at the time, so he likely knows quite a bit about the guy. Not saying he'll make it, but I suspect the Packers see him as more than a camp body.

You bring up a good point about Capers. Don't know much about the guy but maybe Capers saw something in him, not like we have anyone special behind Pickett anyway for him not to have a chance to make the team.

Waldo
04-14-2009, 09:23 PM
He's Samoan. That has to count for something.

IMO he will be battling Toribio and a draft pick/UDFA for the title of #3 NT (aka the one developing on the practice squad, the break glass in case of emergency guy).

Toribio was a UDFA for Miami last year, who also made it to final cuts, then to their PS. He has a camp plus some more development as a 0 tech NT.

CaliforniaCheez
04-14-2009, 10:40 PM
A blocker sponge. He is right up the Packer depth chart now!!

Guiness
04-14-2009, 10:41 PM
He's Samoan. That has to count for something.

Mmm. Means he doesn't play with the top two inches of his head.

DonHutson
04-15-2009, 08:18 AM
Currently the only NT on the roster behind Pickett is Fred Bledsoe, another "camp body" more or less. One of them will make it if we don't draft somebody better.

Waldo
04-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Currently the only NT on the roster behind Pickett is Fred Bledsoe, another "camp body" more or less. One of them will make it if we don't draft somebody better.

Toribio is a NT too.

He's a classic "its how they play not how much they weigh" guy, a little light, but run anchoring in the middle is his game.

Fritz
04-15-2009, 12:50 PM

Toribio is a NT too.

He's a classic "its how they play not how much they weigh" guy, a little light, but run anchoring in the middle is his game.

Whether or not Fred Bledsoe is a camp body, he's certainly got a camp body name.

Fred Bledsoe. Sounds like the name of someone's next door neighbor back in the 60's.

rbaloha1
04-15-2009, 01:44 PM
If he is Samoan he will attack the blocker or gap violently. Maybe good for a few series per game.

Is Capers scheme read and react or shoot the gaps?

Waldo
04-15-2009, 02:05 PM
If he is Samoan he will attack the blocker or gap violently. Maybe good for a few series per game.

Is Capers scheme read and react or shoot the gaps?

All 3-4 schemes mix both, to some degree, however Capers is more of a shoot the gaps guy than a read and react guy.

I think it will come down to the guys on the field too. If we have Pickett at NT, he can 1 gap or 2 gap. If we take Raji I doubt that we'd see him 2 gap, shooting gaps is his game. Harrell is probably much better at 2 gapping than 1 gapping, which makes him well suited to left DE (defensive left is strong moreso than defensive right, IMO if you are going to mix 2 gap/1 gap on a play, you are better off 2 gapping the strong side of the formation and shooting the gaps on the weak side (slant the NT and WDE into the gaps toward the SDE playing 2 gap)). Jenkins OTOH is better of as a 1 gap DE, Jolly is likely equally mediocre at both. I think of Malone as more of a 1 gap guy. If we were to take Jackson I think that he could mix 2 gap and 1 gap play with him, Gilbert OTOH would be more of a 1 gap DE.

cpk1994
04-15-2009, 02:41 PM

Toribio is a NT too.

Whether or not Fred Bledsoe is a camp body, he's certainly got a camp body name.

Fred Bledsoe. Sounds like the name of someone's next door neighbor back in the 60's.At least he doesn't have to worry about being called "Drew's brother".

SnakeLH2006
04-16-2009, 03:00 AM
At least he doesn't have to worry about being called "Drew's brother".

What's wrong with that? Do you know the number of girls you could pick up in a club if they found out you were Drew Bledsoe's brother? Damn. You could give Nick Barnett a run for his money.

Fritz
04-16-2009, 06:32 AM

Toribio is a NT too.

Fred Bledsoe. Sounds like the name of someone's next door neighbor back in the 60's.At least he doesn't have to worry about being called "Drew's brother".

But they might call him Drew's father, with a name like "Fred."