PDA

View Full Version : CAN THE PACKERS TRADE WELLS TO THE FALCONS?

gbpackfan
04-16-2009, 01:01 AM
Falcons Might Dump McClure For Newberry
Posted by Mike Florio on April 15, 2009, 10:30 p.m.
The Atlanta Falcons quietly have been dealing with a messy situation in the center of their offensive line.

Per a league source, long-time starting center Todd McClure has been boycotting offseason workouts. We’re told that he is contemplating retiring or holding out if he doesn’t get a new contract.

Per NFLPA records, McClure is under contract for three more seasons, at salaries of $1.4 million in 2009, $1.6 million in 2010, and $1.7 million in 2011.

We’re also told that the Falcons aren’t inclined to give him a new deal, and that they’ll commence the process of searching for potential replacements by kicking the tires on Jeremy Newberry, an 11-year veteran (and two-time Pro Bowler) who appeared in 16 games with the Chargers last season, starting three...................

see the link for the rest of the story:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/15/falcons-might-dump-mcclure-for-newberry/

MY THOUGHTS -

If Atlanta still runs a ZBS Wells would fit in nicely. Probably a better fit then Newberry. Hmmm.... Pure speculation on my part of course. What do you think?

mission
04-16-2009, 01:12 AM
For a six pack and a box of donuts, maybe...

SnakeLH2006
04-16-2009, 02:49 AM
For a six pack and a box of donuts, maybe...

Too late, Mission. Snake already drank the 6-pack and Wells speared me into the wall going after the donuts. :x

Fritz
04-16-2009, 05:46 AM
Maybe for one of those conditional future choices.

But Wells may be worth more to GB as an experienced back up.

Waldo
04-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Maybe for one of those conditional future choices.

But Wells may be worth more to GB as an experienced back up.

No bench value in a center only. He starts or is gone.

Fritz
04-16-2009, 06:33 AM
He can play a little guard, too. And after scanning the Bills' fan sites to learn about "Einstein" Preston, MM might want to keep Wells around for training camp, at least...

pbmax
04-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Atlanta went big and power on the OL with the arrival of Michael Turner and their new coach Mike Smith. Or was his name Bob Smith? Tom Lewis? Mark Miller? Bill Jones?

Whatever his name, Coach John Q. Public would not want a center Wells' size on the Falcons roster.

retailguy
04-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Atlanta went big and power on the OL with the arrival of Michael Turner and their new coach Mike Smith. Or was his name Bob Smith? Tom Lewis? Mark Miller? Bill Jones?

Whatever his name, Coach John Q. Public would not want a center Wells' size on the Falcons roster.

Mike Smith.

Intriguing idea but I agree with PBMax. Somebody might want him, but they can wait until we cut him, which we probably will in September.

sheepshead
04-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Yeah it is interesting and the kind of move TT would make. But I agree not very likely.

wist43
04-16-2009, 12:14 PM
You guys know how much MM likes his midgets on the OL... Wells will be our starter for the next 10 years, or till MM gets fired; which ever comes first.

Gunakor
04-16-2009, 12:27 PM
You guys know how much MM likes his midgets on the OL... Wells will be our starter for the next 10 years, or till MM gets fired; which ever comes first.

They just signed an OL who stands 6 and a half feet tall and weighs 325 pounds. Is a guy like that considered a midget where you come from Wist?

mraynrand
04-16-2009, 12:28 PM
http://www.steveklotz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/midget.jpg

Fritz
04-16-2009, 01:29 PM

honest to gosh, Wist, you oughtta change your name to Eeyore.

wist43
04-16-2009, 06:35 PM

They just signed an OL who stands 6 and a half feet tall and weighs 325 pounds. Is a guy like that considered a midget where you come from Wist?

Too bad he can't play... I think the midget ayn posted, could generate some pretty good leverage though, and I think he'd sign for the minimum :D

mraynrand
04-16-2009, 06:46 PM
I think the midget ayn posted, could generate some pretty good leverage though, and I think he'd sign for the minimum :D

:rs:

Patler
04-17-2009, 07:16 AM

I have never understood the comments about "midget" linemen for MM. How were the linemen who played for Sherman any bigger than those brought in to play for MM?

6'6" 304 lbs. - Wahle
6'5" 303 lbs. - Flanagan
6'4" 309 lbs. - Rivera
6'3" 316 lbs. - Tauscher

6'4" 308 lbs. - Colledge
6'3" 302 lbs. - Spitz
6'3" 317 lbs. - Sitton
6'4" 305 lbs. - Barbre
6'7" 311 lbs. - Giacomini
6'5" 305 lbs. - Moll
6'3" 313 lbs. - Coston (gone, I know, but drafted for MM)

Besides, Wells was drafted by Sherman. MM has been left with him while they rebuild the O-line.

Joemailman
04-17-2009, 07:22 AM
The blocking scheme under Sherman was often called power gap, but both Wahle and Flanagan were noted more for their mobility than for their power. Rivera was considered to be more of a brawler, but he was only 5 pounds heavier.

Patler
04-17-2009, 07:44 AM
The blocking scheme under Sherman was often called power gap, but both Wahle and Flanagan were noted more for their mobility than for their power. Rivera was considered to be more of a brawler, but he was only 5 pounds heavier.

I think the long range plan has always been for Spitz to be the center, but they have needed him at guard until Sitton got here. Wells/Spitz was better than Spitz/Moll and more reliable than Spitz/Coston since Coston was even less reliable than Wells has been. Interestingly, Sitton is bigger than Rivera was, and Giacomini could end up a lot bigger than Tauscher in a couple years. Some have said that he could carry another 20 lbs or so easily.