PDA

View Full Version : No more 6-legged turkeys? Madden retires

MadScientist
04-16-2009, 11:09 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/04/16/madden.ap/index.html?eref=T1

So who's going to overuse the telestrator now?

Fritz
04-16-2009, 12:04 PM
As a friend of mine noted, this must mean that Brett Favre really is retired this time.

cpk1994
04-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I swear to god, if Cris Collinsworth is chosen to replace Madden, I will shoot someone.

mraynrand
04-16-2009, 12:16 PM
I thought he already retired. More evidence that he is following Favre's lead?

Boom! Doink!

John Madden: "Hey Pat, do you know what flows in the Bay of Green Bay?"
Pat Summerall: "Water"
John Madden: "Yeah, I know that, but I meant the Fox river."

John Madden: "Hey Pat, ya know what's so great about Emmitt Smith? He looks for that opening, he's patient, and when the hole opens up, he just hits it in there - BAM - no hesitation. He knows how to get to that hole."
Pat Summerall: "Yes indeed, he finds the hole."

John Madden: "Hey Pat, that Brett Favre, ya know I think he just has fun out there, like a little kid playing football with his buddies in a muddy field on the weekend. There's a lot of the little kid in that Brett Favre. Whoa, look at the sweat coming down Nate Newton's pants. That's a lot of sweat there, all the way down to his knees."
Pat Summerall: "It's 40-30 here at the USTA tennis center in Flushing Meadows, New York"

Deputy Nutz
04-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Hollly Ho fat man.

Why don't they just replace him with Frank Calendo? No one will know the difference.

Gunakor
04-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Hollly Ho fat man.

Why don't they just replace him with Frank Calendo? No one will know the difference.

I don't think Caliendo has quite the knack that Madden had for pointing out the blatantly obvious and making everyone else feel smarter than he is. But I could be wrong.

CaptainKickass
04-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Examples of the over-obvious "Madden-Ism's"

“That Brett Favre…He is a football player….And this is a GAME!”

“When your arm gets hit, the ball is not going to go where you want it to.” but that is what makes it fun!

"Football is a game of field position. If your moving forward and not backward then you're probably doing pretty good."

“You see….In order to score points in football, you hafta get the ball into the end zone. And to do that, you hafta either run the ball …or pass the ball.”

"at the end of the game the team with the most points on the board is going to win."

This part sux:

I kinda knew this would happen: “Cris Collinsworth will replace Madden” but after he made his voiceover debut in Madden NFL09 – I like him much less.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9462768

cpk1994
04-16-2009, 04:13 PM
This means no more Turducken.

LL2
04-16-2009, 04:16 PM
A lot of people rip on Madden but for some reason I always liked him. Most talking heads are over rated anyways.

Joemailman
04-16-2009, 04:26 PM
I swear to god, if Cris Collinsworth is chosen to replace Madden, I will shoot someone.

Lock and load. It's Collinsworth.

mraynrand
04-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Collinsworth is a two-legged turkey. Can't NBC do any better?

DonHutson
04-16-2009, 04:40 PM
As a friend of mine noted, this must mean that Brett Favre really is retired this time.

Or does it? Am I the only one thinking that Favre got a phone call from NBC today?

Not saying he'd be interested. Not saying they'd give it to him without an audition. Just saying...

cpk1994
04-16-2009, 04:41 PM

Lock and load. It's Collinsworth.Getting my 12 gauge now...

cpk1994
04-16-2009, 04:43 PM

Or does it? Am I the only one thinking that Favre got a phone call from NBC today?

Not saying he'd be interested. Not saying they'd give it to him without an audition. Just saying...Yes. NBC already has its replacement in house, sadly. THey aren't going to waste their time looking elsewhere.

DonHutson
04-16-2009, 07:02 PM

Not saying he'd be interested. Not saying they'd give it to him without an audition. Just saying...Yes. NBC already has its replacement in house, sadly. THey aren't going to waste their time looking elsewhere.

I don't know. They've had three man booths before, and Collinsworth clearly lacks pizazz.

cheesner
04-16-2009, 07:08 PM
I think Madden has been going downhill for a bit and this is past due. I remember a game a few years ago where he is looking at a pass play and insisting the guy got his feet in when the ball bounced out of his hands. Madden kept saying, 'they have got to challenge this, see, right there, he got that other foot down'. He replayed it several times never once noticing that the player never actually caught the ball.

BZnDallas
04-16-2009, 11:30 PM
are commentators allowed in the pro football HOF?? does anybody know the time length known for commentators making it into the hall of fame?... is it the same as players, 5 years?... can a commentator make it into the hall of fame even though he is already there as a player or coach???

not sure about all of this but in any event, does anybody think Madden wants his last hooorah to be on that stage with Brett as they both get inducted into the HOF???

just a thought :?:

SnakeLH2006
04-17-2009, 12:43 AM

Lock and load. It's Collinsworth.

That's fine. Why all the hate on ole Colly? Snake used to hate him years ago, but now really likes Chris. He opinionated, doesn't back down, and most importantly is smart about football. I never really cared one way or the other about Madden, as he was interesting in a Dan Dierdorf type of bonehead announcer way, but was overall knowledgable. Colly is much better, as I like how he has this snarky way of telling it like it is.

It could be worse...how bout Joe "I polished off half a case of bourbon and don't know shit, but will ramble on and on and on about LT breaking my leg on MNF" Theismann from ESPN or even worse Tony "I will go on and on and on about pointless ass shit then throw politics up there, and then still have no idea who's winning the game" Kornheiser. That dude is so FUCKING annoying.

Madden is old..like almost 80 now I think, but needs time to visit the Favre compound in Kiln with the Madden Cruiser (with Pat Summerall in tow to give tips on brewing "real" moonshine) to blog about Brett's beaver dams and deer stands on his Twitter. :shock: :lol:

Fritz
04-17-2009, 06:38 AM
Fritz agrees with Snake regarding Collinsworth, Theismann, and Kornholer.

I don't find Collinsworth annoying - he's knowledgeable, and while I can understand how some might find him "snarky" I don't really get that vibe. He's not a self-absorbed abrasive nitwit like Theisman, and he's not the narccisistic (sp?) punk that Kornholer was.

Madden fell into the black pit of the obvious his last few years, though he seemed better this past year, at least a bit. But it was time.

sheepshead
04-17-2009, 07:57 AM
I'll miss Madden, the old Madden. I for one like Collinsworth. Cocky smart ass and knows his shit. (like me) 8-)

MJZiggy
04-17-2009, 06:34 PM
are commentators allowed in the pro football HOF?? does anybody know the time length known for commentators making it into the hall of fame?... is it the same as players, 5 years?... can a commentator make it into the hall of fame even though he is already there as a player or coach???

not sure about all of this but in any event, does anybody think Madden wants his last hooorah to be on that stage with Brett as they both get inducted into the HOF???

Madden's already in the Hall...

BZnDallas
04-17-2009, 07:19 PM

Madden's already in the Hall...

as stated in my previous post... the question was if you could be in it as a commentator and a player or a coach... i guess i'm wondering if there is a different section for commentators, thats all... 8-)

mraynrand
04-17-2009, 09:50 PM
i guess i'm wondering if there is a different section for commentators, thats all... 8-)

Yes: The Howard Cosell wing of the HOF:

http://daveandthomas.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/bathroom.jpg

DonHutson
04-17-2009, 10:16 PM
as stated in my previous post... the question was if you could be in it as a commentator and a player or a coach... i guess i'm wondering if there is a different section for commentators, thats all... 8-)

Unlike baseball there isn't a special wing for broadcasters. You can be inducted as a 'contributor' (typically team founders, ex-commissioners, etc.). Perhaps Madden could be re-inducted someday as a contributor - or his current induction could be expanded. I don't really know. I would think someone could get in as both a player and a coach if they deserved it for both (though to my knowledge, nobody actually has). I don't see why this would be any different.

Joemailman
04-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Actually, there are 6 members included in more than one category, including Curly Lambeau. http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/positions.html

DonHutson
04-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Actually, there are 6 members included in more than one category, including Curly Lambeau. http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/positions.html

I believe all of them were inducted once for everything though, no? They were early NFL'ers that concluded all of their careers prior to the creation of the Hall. I should have said, I can't think of anyone who's been inducted twice for different portions of their career.

Madden would be a different case in that he ended a Hall of Fame worthy second career after already being inducted. So I'm still not sure how they would handle that.

MJZiggy
04-18-2009, 09:54 AM
I think they'd just add to the engraving with the current bust. I can't see there being two Madden statues in the same hall. Didn't he say that the first one would be spending eternity annoying all the other busts?

BZnDallas
04-19-2009, 01:46 AM
I think they'd just add to the engraving with the current bust. I can't see there being two Madden statues in the same hall. Didn't he say that the first one would be spending eternity annoying all the other busts?

i agree with ya ziggy, don't think they would put two statues in the HOF... and would probably just add another engraving or something like that... would he then be invited to the ceremony again?... and share the stage with his all-time fav Favre... i bet he would love to share the stage with brett... hahaha... there is something to think about... but thats just one guys opinion...