PDA

View Full Version : PREDICT WHAT TTT WILL DO WITH PICK #9

Bretsky
04-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Feel free to offer some insights on what reality ends up being for pick #9.

For the heck of it, feel free to give your viewn on

1. What you think TTT would prefer to do
2. What you think TTT will end up doing on draft day

Bretsky
04-16-2009, 07:44 PM
My gut tells me when we get to pick #9 there will be about four players of need that TTT rates very closely.

There will also probably be a QB there that somebody might be willing to trade up for

I think TTT would probably prefer to go back a few spots to pick up an extra 3rd....which he'd deal for another 4th and 5th.

I'm not sure TTT would want to trade down 7-9 spots to get an extra 2nd and risk not getting a player he thinks might turn elite

I'm debating which one I think TTT will do

Right now something tells me he sticks at 9

MJZiggy
04-16-2009, 07:47 PM
He stuck at 5; I'd say he sticks at 9 at well.Which future star are you thinking he'd trade up for?

Waldo
04-16-2009, 08:01 PM
He stuck at 5; I'd say he sticks at 9 at well.Which future star are you thinking he'd trade up for?

I can surely see him on the phone offering a 3rd to go up for Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe if they come in striking range.

MJZiggy
04-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Is your dad by chance named Pat or fond of shamrocks?

Ballboy
04-16-2009, 09:12 PM
I think the Jets will want to trade up to get Sanchez.....I think they pick 17.

What will that get us, 17 and a 3rd? Don't we already have their 3rd?

Lurker64
04-16-2009, 09:37 PM
You know... It's been bandied about recently that the Eagles are looking to trade up in order to get one of the top left tackles. They have 12 picks in this draft, including 2 in the first round (#21 and #28). It wouldn't surprise me at all that if there's a run on tackles and of the top 4 only Oher is available at #9, if the Eagles might offer #21 and #28 and for #9 and #109.

I'd have to think hard about that, since it might well end up better to hold #21, #28, #41, #73, and #83 than to hold #9, #41, #73, #83, and #109.

That would probably mean that we could land both an offensive tackle (Eben Britton, perhaps?) and a defensive end (Ziggy Hood or Jarron Gilbert) in the first and the best of the remaining pass rushers in the 2nd? Or some combination of a DL, an OL, and an OLB with #21, #28, and #41.

At the same time I might just take Oher in that spot. I think a quiet, football-centric environment would be great for him and I really think the city of Green Bay would embrace him. His upside is unreal.

Joemailman
04-16-2009, 10:23 PM
I think the Jets will want to trade up to get Sanchez.....I think they pick 17.

What will that get us, 17 and a 3rd? Don't we already have their 3rd?

Trading down 8 spots would be worth a 2nd. Wonder if the Jets will want to give us a 2nd to draft a QB after they gave us their 3rd to have Favre for a year.

There is talk Washington at 13 wants Sanchez. Trading down 4 spots would be worth a 3rd.

Fritz
04-17-2009, 06:32 AM
My gut tells me when we get to pick #9 there will be about four players of need that TTT rates very closely.

There will also probably be a QB there that somebody might be willing to trade up for

I think TTT would probably prefer to go back a few spots to pick up an extra 3rd....which he'd deal for another 4th and 5th.

I'm not sure TTT would want to trade down 7-9 spots to get an extra 2nd and risk not getting a player he thinks might turn elite

I'm debating which one I think TTT will do

Right now something tells me he sticks at 9

Your gut and my gut feel the same way...up until the point where your gut starts telling you TT would then trade that third down for another fourth. My gut doesn't say that. My gut says "Go eat an English muffin, Fritz."

But I do feel TT would like to trade down just a bit, get a third, and have a shot at a guy like Oher or Jackson.

Then with three thirds, he can look at defensive linemen - end and nose - and whatever else he fancies. It gives him some freedom to cover more bases, to go after more BPA than need, since he could take a shot at everybody's favorite position - wide receiver - and still have another third for a corner or linebacker or nose tackle or whatever.

sheepshead
04-17-2009, 06:44 AM
I believe as in years past its extremely difficult, if not impossible to trade down. No one wants a top 10 pick this year. I believe its been going on for some time.

Joemailman
04-17-2009, 06:56 AM
Some teams (Jets, Redskins) might want to trade up if they have a shot at Sanchez at #9. Otherwise, you are probably right.

Deputy Nutz
04-17-2009, 07:48 AM
I believe as in years past its extremely difficult, if not impossible to trade down. No one wants a top 10 pick this year. I believe its been going on for some time.

This is just a blanket statement. There are teams that realize that their are some elite left tackles that are going to go in the first 12 picks, and there are also only two really good QBs that teams wouldn't mind jumping ahead of each other for. Denver, Washington, and San Fran all pick in the same general spot, they would all think pretty hard about drafting Sanchez, not to mention the Jets as well.

The Eagles would reallly like to get their hands on a top flight WR, and or Tackle. They might be willing to move into the top ten with their two lower first round picks.

ND72
04-17-2009, 08:55 AM
I tend to agree with many thoughts. I think at 9 there will be a few guys, including a QB that people will be willing to move for. I could also see, and personally would love to see TT trade back with Philly, get their 21 & 28. Don't know where that places them on the trade value chart though. I really think Ted is gonna trade. That's my gut feeling, which means that is what he won't do.

Lurker64
04-17-2009, 12:14 PM
I could also see, and personally would love to see TT trade back with Philly, get their 21 & 28. Don't know where that places them on the trade value chart though.

If we go by the value chart (there's little indication that teams do anymore, but anyway), #21 and #28 vs. #9 and #109 (our fourth) are only off by about 5-6 points. So it could either be smoothed out by an exchange of 7ths, or just left as is

All contingent on Philly being willing to trade, of course.

cheesner
04-17-2009, 02:46 PM
I am thinking there is a possibiltiy of trading with the 49ers. They may want Sanchez and not want the Packers to trade with the Jets or the Broncos or anyone else who may want him.

In which case, I can see TT making that trade for a 4th rounder and still getting whatever player he was going to take anyway.

texaspackerbacker
04-17-2009, 04:02 PM
One or two of the top four OTs will be there. That is what the pick will be.

The Shadow
04-17-2009, 04:28 PM
I am thinking there is a possibiltiy of trading with the 49ers. They may want Sanchez and not want the Packers to trade with the Jets or the Broncos or anyone else who may want him.

In which case, I can see TT making that trade for a 4th rounder and still getting whatever player he was going to take anyway.

I also think the Pack will take advantage of Sanches-mania, get the player we want anyway, and pick up something for our efforts.

The Leaper
04-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Personally, I think the talent in this draft starts dropping off pretty quick after the top 8-12 prospects. Trading down should only be done if we get a very good deal to do so. I don't see Sanchez on the board at #9...too many teams need a QB right now, and this draft is THIN at QB.

I'm hoping someone is there at #9 that fits our needs...we need a guy capable of being an impact player.

bobblehead
04-17-2009, 11:52 PM
I think he stands pat and takes the best OT still there. If he like oher he will take him at 9, if he doesn't he will NOT trade down and take him. Either the thinks the guy can be a great LT or he doesn't. My thoughts are that he will like one player who is left at 9 more than any other and draft him. I can't swear it will be Oher or any other LT and since I have been on the LT bandwagon from the start I might end up disappointed with the pick.

Lurker64
04-18-2009, 12:03 AM
If what I'm hearing from Waldo is accurate, and Green Bay has their heart set on a tackle (which is reasonable, since if things go the way TT and MM want, we won't be in "grab a LT" territory for some time, while guys like 5-tech DEs, tweener DE/OLBs, and NTs can be found in all rounds), there's a few things that could happen:

Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe will be gone. So we're looking at one of Andre Smith, Michael Oher, or Eben Britton (the three guys we purportedly had in for recent, quiet, visits).

If Oher and Smith are both there at #9, I can see Thompson trading down a few spots if he has a willing partner and trying to grab whichever one is left.

If one of Oher or Smith is gone, but the other is there, Thompson probably just takes the one that's left.

If both Oher and Smith are gone, I see Thompson trying hard to trade down, so he can pick up value and justify taking Britton in the mid 20s (alternatively, Thompson just picks BPA at that spot (Tyson Jackson?) and tries to trade back up to grab Britton, but that's unlikely.)

I'm currently of the mind that the pick at #9 will be one of: Michael Oher, Tyson Jackson, or Andre Smith. All reasonable picks, IMO.

Fritz
04-18-2009, 08:28 AM
The mighty Waldo has broken down the OL's, and says Andre "Manboobs" Smith is more of a road-grading run-blocker than a pass-protecting, mobile sometimes-ZBS lineman. So maybe not him.

If TT does trade down, I would guess it would be if there is a pool of three or four guys he'd be equally happy with, and then he'd trade down three or four spots so he'd get an extra pick and still nab one. I don't think he sets his sights on one particular guy. If Iunderstand correctly, he puts players into strata - a tier of X number of guys he rates pretty much the same, then another tier, below the first, and so on. Thus he knows at any given time how far down he can go without slipping to the next tier.

I'd be please if he traded down those three or four spots and still managed to pick up a Tyson Jackson or Michael Oher. Of course, if somehow Monroe or J. Smith miraculously slip that far, well, I wouldn't be unhappy if he stayed put...

SnakeLH2006
04-18-2009, 10:45 PM
I could also see, and personally would love to see TT trade back with Philly, get their 21 & 28. Don't know where that places them on the trade value chart though.

If we go by the value chart (there's little indication that teams do anymore, but anyway), #21 and #28 vs. #9 and #109 (our fourth) are only off by about 5-6 points. So it could either be smoothed out by an exchange of 7ths, or just left as is

All contingent on Philly being willing to trade, of course.

That would be awesomeness as this draft is supposedly deep overall, but looks to be lacking studs in the top 10. If they really would do that, why not? Getting a #21 and a #28 gets us in range for 2 guys who could really contribute this year without sacrificing our 2nds/3rds etc. I doubt it though, as TT likes to trade down for more 3rds and 4ths...and seems to like to hold pat with top picks.

Boy that Cleveland offer 2 years ago seemed awesome though for Quinn, but alas, TT likes to pick 'em this year, not next. BTW, anyone have any draft knowledge as far as how that turned out for Dallas as far as players/picks?

Lurker64
04-18-2009, 10:59 PM
BTW, anyone have any draft knowledge as far as how that turned out for Dallas as far as players/picks?

Yes, but it's complicated.

Dallas gave up #22 in exchange for #36 in 2007 and Cleveland's 2008 first round pick, which turned out to be #22.

Dallas turned around and traded #36 (along with #87, and #159) to Philadelphia for #26.

Cleveland Acquires
#22: Brady Quinn.

Cleveland Loses
#36 in 2007 and #22 in 2008.

Dallas Acquires
#26: Anthony Spencer
#22 (2008): Felix Jones.

Dallas Loses
#22, #87, and #159

Philadelphia Acquires
#36: Kevin Kolb
#87: Stewart Bradley
#159: C.J. Gaddis

Philadelphia Loses

So Cleveland Gave up a future first (with no change in position) and a current third for Brady Quinn; Dallas gave up a first, a third, and a fifth for Anthony Spencer and Felix Jones; Philadelphia gave up a first for Kevin Kolb, Stewart Bradley, and C.J. Gaddis.

I think it might be possible to say that all three teams involved in this situation lost on the exchange.

SnakeLH2006
04-18-2009, 11:13 PM
BTW, anyone have any draft knowledge as far as how that turned out for Dallas as far as players/picks?

Yes, but it's complicated.

Dallas gave up #22 in exchange for #36 in 2007 and Cleveland's 2008 first round pick, which turned out to be #22.

Dallas turned around and traded #36 (along with #87, and #159) to Philadelphia for #26.

Cleveland Acquires
#22: Brady Quinn.

Cleveland Loses
#36 in 2007 and #22 in 2008.

Dallas Acquires
#26: Anthony Spencer
#22 (2008): Felix Jones.

Dallas Loses
#22, #87, and #159

Philadelphia Acquires
#36: Kevin Kolb
#87: Stewart Bradley
#159: C.J. Gaddis

Philadelphia Loses

So Cleveland Gave up a future first (with no change in position) and a current third for Brady Quinn; Dallas gave up a first, a third, and a fifth for Anthony Spencer and Felix Jones; Philadelphia gave up a first for Kevin Kolb, Stewart Bradley, and C.J. Gaddis.

I think it might be possible to say that all three teams involved in this situation lost on the exchange.

Thanks for quick reply Lurker, as that is complicated, but looks at face value like Dallas got Felix Jones for not much. He really looks the player though, as Snake saw the Hard Knocks Cowboys series last summer on HBO and he looked great there, but even better in the season. Yea, the draft is all a crapshoot, as it might take years to get results (positive gains from picks) if any at all, but perhaps Dallas did well in that. Cleveland got smoked though, as Snake doubted Quinn regardless as ND (was fan as a kid) but there talent is poor now, and Quinn reeked of bust and still looks it with his lack of throwing power (51% completions last year). That is why Cleveland is so poor. Poor drafting. And hate to say it, but perhaps Dallas got better with that trade.

Partial
04-18-2009, 11:13 PM
:lol: :lol: