PDA

View Full Version : Only One of seven Player's Selected In Supplemental Draft

woodbuck27
07-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Bengals take Brooks in supplemental draft

(July 13, 2006) -- Linebacker Ahmad Brooks, who starred at Virginia for three seasons but was kicked off the team by coach Al Groh, was selected by the Cincinnati Bengals in the third round of the NFL's supplemental draft.

Brooks, a first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference linebacker as a sophomore, was also a finalist for the Butkus Award given to the nation's top linebacker in 2004.

But he played only six games last season because of injury, then was dropped by the team just before spring practice this year. He subsequently applied for the draft.

Groh, the former head coach of the New York Jets and a longtime NFL assistant, did not specify the reason for the dismissal.

Six other players who applied for the supplemental draft were not chosen.

The Bengals, who used the 22nd pick of the third round to take Brooks, forfeit their third-round choice in the 2007 draft.

Bretsky
07-13-2006, 06:39 PM
As I noted yesterday, a great move by a solid team. I predicted one of better teams in the NFL would use up a 2nd rounder and Brooks certainly has more talent than any pick in the 50-65 range next year, but an elite team could get an elite talent at a bargain late round two.

Well, the Bengals got an elite player and will be giving up a pick in the 75-90 range. Great Move.

On another note, the Bengals don't shy away from bad apples with immense talent. They picked up a bargain in Odell Thurman in round two because of character issues, picked up a couple character risks in last year's draft, and just got another.

They have faith that Marvin Lewis has the type of strong personality that he can turn these questionable attitude kids around.

Cheers,
B

Harlan Huckleby
07-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Who was the defensive end that everybody was talking about a while back? I thought a great athlete with "issues" was available supplemental.

Bretsky
07-13-2006, 07:03 PM
Who was the defensive end that everybody was talking about a while back? I thought a great athlete with "issues" was available supplemental.

Where is Patler when we need him ? Let me do some quick research.

B

Harlan Huckleby
07-13-2006, 07:04 PM
well, maybe I dreamed this. but we had a long thread about a defensive end, a guys who kinda sounds like Brooks. Is Brooks a candidate to be a defensive end?

Bretsky
07-13-2006, 07:06 PM
HERE ARE SOME OF THE MORE NOTEWORTHY PICKS; I SUCK AT THIS RESEARCH STUFF

Year Player College Pos. Team
1981 Dave Wilson Illinois QB New Orleans
1985 Bernie Kosar Miami QB Cleveland
1987 Brian Bosworth Oklahoma LB Seattle
1989 Steve Walsh Miami QB Dallas
1989 Timm Rosenbach Wash. State QB Phoenix
1989 Bobby Humphrey Alabama RB Denver
1990 Rob Moore Syracuse WR N.Y. Jets
1992 Dave Brown Duke QB N.Y. Giants

bigcoz75
07-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Brooks was projected as a swing guy. could play DE or LB.

Harlan Huckleby
07-13-2006, 07:09 PM
OK, must have been Brooks. We were talking about him a long time ago, and I remember thinking he wouldn't be a bad fit in GB. He must have decent size, since I am allergic to tweeners after Too Small Jamal.

edit: ya, Brooks is 6'4" 260#. Hell ya, I wish the Pack had taken a chance on him, they need depth at DE.

Bretsky
07-13-2006, 07:10 PM
well, maybe I dreamed this. but we had a long thread about a defensive end, a guys who kinda sounds like Brooks. Is Brooks a candidate to be a defensive end?

Harlan,

Brooks was the guy we were debating; he was out of shape a while back but shed 30-40lbs in past few months.

ny10804
07-13-2006, 07:53 PM

If it wasn't Brooks, it would be Jason Berryman.

Packgator
07-13-2006, 08:02 PM
""On another note, the Bengals don't shy away from bad apples with immense talent. They picked up a bargain in Odell Thurman in round two because of character issues, picked up a couple character risks in last year's draft, and just got another.""

You take a big chance with players like this. It can backfire on you in a big way.........like it did today with the Bengals and Odell Thurman.

RashanGary
07-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Ray Edwards from Purdue is a little like that HH. He's not a star, but he could have been a higher pick if it wasnt' for his character questions.

falco
07-13-2006, 08:44 PM
On another note, the Bengals don't shy away from bad apples with immense talent. They picked up a bargain in Odell Thurman in round two because of character issues, picked up a couple character risks in last year's draft, and just got another.

How is Thurman a bargain? 12 games for the price of 16 isn't a bargain to me.

Bretsky
07-13-2006, 09:05 PM

How is Thurman a bargain? 12 games for the price of 16 isn't a bargain to me.

Well, I was dumb enough to make the post before seeing he was suspended for four games so I didn't have that info.

That being said, Odell Thurman was one of the top candidates for Defensive Rookie of the Year last year; I thought he was 3rd overall. He had first round talent. Was drafted in middle of round 2. Talent wise he was a bargain; we'll see which way it goes in the next five years.

woodbuck27
07-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Ray Edwards from Purdue is a little like that HH. He's not a star, but he could have been a higher pick if it wasnt' for his character questions.

One of the fellas I had an eye on.

4th round (127) DE Ray Edwards, fr. Purdue is with the Vikings.

Packers picked:

4th round (104) WR/KR/PR Cory Rodgers, fr. TCU.
4th round (115) CB/WR/KR Will Blackmon, fr. Boston College.

Pack0514
07-14-2006, 09:02 AM
I would rather have Blackmon (115) than Edwards (127). As for Rodgers, at the time, I didnt like the pick...... I'm still not overly excited but I will let it play out.

BTW, I also was intrigued by Edwards..... I dont think I would have taken him until the 5th round though..... not that I know anything. Lets hope TT knows what he is doing.

Partial
07-14-2006, 09:21 AM
""On another note, the Bengals don't shy away from bad apples with immense talent. They picked up a bargain in Odell Thurman in round two because of character issues, picked up a couple character risks in last year's draft, and just got another.""

You take a big chance with players like this. It can backfire on you in a big way.........like it did today with the Bengals and Odell Thurman.

Except when he does play he played quite well. Merriman my ass, he is just more flashy and well known. Thurmann played equally well if not better!!