PDA

View Full Version : Eagles use #28 pick to aquire...

packers11
04-17-2009, 12:50 PM
www.rotoworld.com

FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer reports the Eagles have acquired LT Jason Peters from the Bills in exchange for the 28th overall pick, a second-day draft pick, and a late-round pick in 2010.

This coming just three days after Bills COO Russ Brandon expressed confidence that his All-Pro tackle would remain in Buffalo. The Bills had, however, been hesitant to meet Peters' asking price, which would make him the highest paid offensive lineman in the league. Peters will slide into left tackle in Philly, with Stacy Andrews moving to right tackle. The Eagles can now concentrate on another area of need with the 21st overall pick in the first round.

Patler
04-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Someone refresh my recollection, why does Philly have Carolina's 1st round pick?

Lurker64
04-17-2009, 01:02 PM
Someone refresh my recollection, why does Philly have Carolina's 1st round pick?

Last year, Philadelphia traded pick # 19 (used to select OT Jeff Otah) to Carolina for #43 and #109 plus Carolina's first round pick in the next draft. Carolina had already selected RB Jonathon Stewart with their natural pick, #13.

HarveyWallbangers
04-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Peters is a good player. I like this trade. The Eagles are losing two good OTs in Runyan and Thomas, but have replaced them with two good, young players. Reminds me of when the replaced Vincent and Taylor at CB with Sheppard and Brown.

mraynrand
04-17-2009, 01:19 PM
The Eagles can now concentrate on another area of need with the 21st overall pick in the first round.

TT would draft BPA

Patler
04-17-2009, 01:21 PM

Last year, Philadelphia traded pick # 19 (used to select OT Jeff Otah) to Carolina for #43 and #109 plus Carolina's first round pick in the next draft. Carolina had already selected RB Jonathon Stewart with their natural pick, #13.

Thanks Lurker!

Lurker64
04-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Peters is a good player. I like this trade. The Eagles are losing two good OTs in Runyan and Thomas, but have replaced them with two good, young players. Reminds me of when the replaced Vincent and Taylor at CB with Sheppard and Brown.

Peters is looking to get paid quite a bit though, we'll have to wait an see for the damage on the extension.

It's interesting that "Team A isn't willing to pay Player x what Player x wants, Team B is" is one of the only ways guys get traded in this day and age.

Guiness
04-17-2009, 01:57 PM
there was an article at sportsline just recently talking about him. He came into the league undrafted, they played him at TE for a while, he moves to OT, and now holds out with 2 years left on his deal? And wants Jordon Gross money, who played out his rookie deal?

If I'm the Bills I say good riddance. Even if it does leave a gapping hole.

cheesner
04-17-2009, 02:53 PM
The Eagles can now concentrate on another area of need with the 21st overall pick in the first round.

TT would draft BPAThank God!

Nice comparison. The Eagles have one of the worst draft records during the Ted Thompson era.

Fritz
04-18-2009, 08:04 AM
On another thread, in another fantasy world, some of us were pretending that the Browns would be stupid enough to entertain offers for Joe Thomas.

So if Peters is worth the #28 overall, a fourth (I think it was), and a late pick next year, what would Thomas be worth?

And since it's slow, let's just say Eric Man-Weenie really was that dumb. What would you be willing to part with to get Thomas?

As most folks here know, I am like TT loathe to give up picks. However, for Thomas, I would part with the #9, a third, and a third next year for Mr. Thomas.

ND72
04-18-2009, 08:24 AM

this is the type of trade I'm looking for TT to pull off this year if a QB is sitting there, or something of that nature.

Partial
04-18-2009, 03:52 PM

Yep. The Eagles are a well run organization imo. Right up there with the Pats.

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2009, 04:01 PM

To be fair, I didn't know he was a bit of a malcontent.

Patler
04-18-2009, 04:58 PM
It will be interesting to look back at this 4 or 5 years from now to see if trading for Peters was a good thing or not. I don't know if there is any chronic injury history or not, but Peters has missed 4 games in the last two seasons. As banged up as Clifton is, he has missed only 2 in the last three seasons, one due to coming down with the flu on game day in '06 and the other due to an adverse reaction to medication in '08. He has missed only those two games in the 6 seasons since the Sapp injury.

Partial
04-18-2009, 05:34 PM

To be fair, I didn't know he was a bit of a malcontent.

I still think its a good trade. The Eagles seem to constantly have adequate replacements ready to go when its time to move on from the Vets.

wist43
04-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Trade a pick to fill a "need"...

Absolutely insane... we have no stinking needs :D

Bretsky
04-18-2009, 09:27 PM
On another thread, in another fantasy world, some of us were pretending that the Browns would be stupid enough to entertain offers for Joe Thomas.

So if Peters is worth the #28 overall, a fourth (I think it was), and a late pick next year, what would Thomas be worth?

And since it's slow, let's just say Eric Man-Weenie really was that dumb. What would you be willing to part with to get Thomas?

As most folks here know, I am like TT loathe to give up picks. However, for Thomas, I would part with the #9, a third, and a third next year for Mr. Thomas.

I'd agree with this Fritz; in fact I might give up a bit more.

TTT would not though

RashanGary
04-19-2009, 06:35 AM
The trade that gave the eagles the 28th pick was impressive. It didn't work out as well as it could have (considering the Panthers had a good year), but even at it's worst it was still a solid trade.

I think these are the types of moves I'd like to see TT get involved in more often. Get rid of picks this year for better picks next year (most of them coming at the end of round 1 through round 3). I think the end of round 1 - round 3 is the best place to pick in the draft. Tons of playmakers come in this area of the draft, there is little risk involved, and you can get more picks if you trade high 1sts for late 1sts and 2nds/3rds or late 1sts for 2nds and 3rds.