View Full Version : AARON KAMPMAN- A SOLID CHARACTER...CONTRACT GAMBLE

Bretsky
07-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Big pay, big play
Packers believe Kampman's a smart $21 million investment
By ROB REISCHEL

Special to Packer Plus
Posted: July 13, 2006

Green Bay - Green Bay Packers fans watched in disgust as it happened with Joe Johnson. They cringed as it unfolded with Jamal Reynolds, Cletidus Hunt and to a lesser extent, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila.

Since 2001, former general manager Mike Sherman handed out big money deals to the aforementioned defensive linemen. And not a single one played up to their contract.

Aaron Kampman is hoping to break that trend. And really, there's nothing in his four-year history suggesting he won't.

Instead of leaving in unrestricted free agency, Kampman signed a four-year, $21 million deal this off-season that included $12 million in guaranteed money. Now, Kampman - a former fifth-round draft choice from Iowa who's worn the overachiever tag since entering the league - wants to prove he's worth the investment.

"It does have an impact," Kampman said of his contract. "But I think it intensifies the commitment that's been made to me and the commitment that I've made to this organization. I can't promise anything. But I've continued to bust my tail here and I'll continue to do that. That's all I know."

The Packers have high hopes that Kampman will be their first big-money defensive lineman this decade to fully earn his keep.

Hunt was given a six-year, $25.35 million contract in March, 2003 by Sherman. Hunt followed that up with two mediocre seasons and was cut before the start of 2005.

Johnson was given a six-year, $33 million deal by Sherman in 2002. Johnson then played in just 11 games over the next two years before he was sent packing.

Reynolds, a first-round draft choice in 2001, was simply overdrafted by Sherman and outgoing general manager Ron Wolf. And even though Gbaja-Biamila has led Green Bay in sacks for five consecutive seasons, he'd be better as a situational player than a full-time starter, making the seven-year, $37.3-million contract Sherman gave him excessive.

Of the recent contractual mistakes Green Bay has made on the defensive line, only Gbaja-Biamila can't be faulted for his effort. Hunt was a malingerer, Johnson rested on his laurels and Reynolds seemed apathetic.

Kampman, a young player when much of this was unfolding, wasn't oblivious to the less-than-stellar work habits of those teammates.

"Yeah. Oh yeah. When stuff like that happens, everyone knows it," Kampman said. "It's kind of a white elephant in the room. So, those are obviously things you don't desire. Again, it comes down to what your motivations are."

Kampman's motivations certainly don't figure to change just because his paycheck is substantially larger.

Kampman's success has come thanks to hard work, tremendous effort and brains. While several of his teammates might be more physically gifted, Kampman's character and desire to succeed might be the greatest in Green Bay's locker room.

To date, it's helped Kampman go from an underwhelming draft prospect in 2002 to one of football's most productive defensive ends. And it's unlikely a significant pay raise will change that.

"Money will not change Aaron Kampman, I'm sure of that," said defensive coordinator Bob Sanders, who coached the defensive ends last year. "With Aaron, I don't ever worry about that work ethic. He is the ultimate professional in regards to those situations.

"The thing about Aaron is he's a tremendous leader, excellent work ethic and you know what you're going to get day in and day out. You know you're going to get 60 seconds on every minute and 60 minutes of every hour. You just know what you're going to get every day and that he's improving every aspect of his game that he can every single day. He takes responsibility and brings a work ethic every day."

That's for sure.

When Kampman's not on the practice field or in the weight room, it's a pretty safe bet he can be found watching film. When Kampman first broke into the league, he'd spend hours in Green Bay's old building studying players he admired like the New York Giants' Michael Strahan, Detroit's Robert Porcher, St. Louis' Grant Wistrom and teammates Vonnie Holliday and Gilbert Brown.

Kampman watches just as much film today, including plenty of himself. He studies his footwork for hours at a time, strives to improve his technique and find an edge that will continue to elevate his game.

"Any time you go in there to watch film, he's in there," defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins said of Kampman. "The guy's a great leader and a great role model for younger guys around here. If you want to know how to do it, just watch him."

Added teammate Kenny Peterson: "If you can't learn something by watching how Aaron Kampman handles his business, then I don't know who you can learn from."

Kampman's studious nature combined with his fantastic effort level helped him have a career year in 2005.

Kampman was a force against the run, posting 105 tackles that was the second-highest total ever posted by a Packers' defensive lineman. Only Ezra Johnson's 107 tackles in 1983 topped Kampman's total.

Kampman (6-4, 278) also dropped about 10 pounds to help make him a more effective pass rusher. It seemed to work, as Kampman's 6½ sacks were a career high.

"Was it a good year? Yeah, it was pretty good," Kampman said of his 2005 season. "But can I get better? Absolutely. I have a lot of goals I still haven't hit."

Some scouts wondered if Kampman could get any better and raised their eyebrows when Green Bay gave him a big contract. The way the Packers saw it, though, Kampman's character made him about as safe of a bet as you'll find in today's football world.

Kampman is a staple in the community and was recently named one of football's "Good Guys" by "The Sporting News." Kampman, his wife, Linde and their two young sons live in Green Bay, meaning he's around Packers headquarters constantly throughout the off-season.

And money certainly doesn't figure to lessen Kampman's desire to keep improving. In fact, it will probably make him work harder than ever.

"When I got married, I was given this advice: your marriage either gets better every day or it gets worse every day," Kampman said. "So I was like, 'OK. Let me apply that to every aspect of my life.' So in my football game, I'll either get better every day or I'll get worse every day. I think all of those things help me keep climbing the stairs."

Kampman already seems to have taken on a greater leadership role. Traditionally one to lead by example only, Kampman called out teammates who decided to miss all or parts of Green Bay's 14 voluntary practices in June.

In past years, Kampman would have likely kept those feelings to himself.

"I think I feel more of a leadership position now," he said. "And I think I'd probably feel that even if I signed a minimum contract, just because of the sheer nature of becoming one of the older guys."

Kampman, 26, has become an older guy as well as a wealthier guy, meaning the spotlight on him will be greater than ever beginning this fall. That's just fine with him, though.

Using history as an indicator, it's highly unlikely Kampman's name will ever be lumped with those of Joe Johnson and Cletidus Hunt. Instead, Kampman's more likely to be the first highly paid Green Bay defensive lineman in quite some time who earns every penny of his deal.

"I am who I am. I know who I am, go about my business and what I believe," Kampman said. "I play really hard. I believe I'm a really good player. That's really all that matters."

Bretsky
07-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Noticed topic was a bit broad; my point was that giving Kampman this $$ was a solid risk based decision by GB. Happy to have him for that price.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-13-2006, 07:28 PM
i love kampman as much as the next guy b/c he has great charcter and plays hard but that much money is for a great not good player. i think we over payed a little.

Bretsky
07-13-2006, 07:38 PM
With the rising cap, I don't think 5MIL per year is for great players anymore. Even in free agency we saw several guys nowhere near great level get that money.

RashanGary
07-13-2006, 08:09 PM
With the rising cap, I don't think 5MIL per year is for great players anymore. Even in free agency we saw several guys nowhere near great level get that money.

I agree.

MadtownPacker
07-13-2006, 08:28 PM
"I am who I am. I know who I am, go about my business and what I believe," Kampman said. "I play really hard. I believe I'm a really good player. That's really all that matters."Thats all I need to hear. Wise investment by TT for years to come. He EARNED his payday.

woodbuck27
07-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Noticed topic was a bit broad; my point was that giving Kampman this $$ was a solid risk based decision by GB. Happy to have him for that price.

Comparing that to the Charles Woodson deal, makes me think that TT had a great day when he inked Aaron.

Bretsky
07-13-2006, 09:46 PM

Comparing that to the Charles Woodson deal, makes me think that TT had a great day when he inked Aaron.

I've taken my Woodson analogy pretty far. To me it was a necessary evil we needed to do given all the $$ TT had left.

The Woodson signing showed TT's success and failure. He succeeded by landing a major FA, but to me it also showed that TT failed in being prepared for how aggressive this free agency was going to be aka...luring several other pieces to GB ....and as a result his best option was to throw a load of money at a guy, front load the deal, and hope we could land him.

Tony Oday
07-14-2006, 12:34 AM
I like a guy with a motor that will work.

Bretsky
07-14-2006, 12:35 AM
I like a guy with a motor that will work.

That's why AK was a must sign; now they have a solid DE and need to go locate that dominating DL.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-14-2006, 02:01 AM
o i agree he was a must sign, but 5 million a year? Thats a lot. And if 5 million is not for great players anymore as some suggested, then why is e1 pissed off at al harris who makes about 2 million.

Am pissed of at harris b/c 2 million is good for his talant level IMO, and i still think 5 mil is for great players not just good. Why would you guys be mad at harris if you guys think "the cap is raising" and 5MIL per year is not for great players anymore?...............

Bretsky
07-14-2006, 08:11 AM
o i agree he was a must sign, but 5 million a year? Thats a lot. And if 5 million is not for great players anymore as some suggested, then why is e1 pissed off at al harris who makes about 2 million.

Am pissed of at harris b/c 2 million is good for his talant level IMO, and i still think 5 mil is for great players not just good. Why would you guys be mad at harris if you guys think "the cap is raising" and 5MIL per year is not for great players anymore?...............

Because Al Harris signed his deal a couple years back (when the salary cap was lower) and I think he averages 3.5-4MIL per year. Market has changed now that the cap is up. Harris chose security over potential future riches.

HarveyWallbangers
07-14-2006, 10:23 AM
I know Harris makes at least $3M/year. He might say it's $2M, but these guys (like Walker) conveniently forget to add in their signing bonus and just talk about their base salary.

Willard
07-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Big Al's salary is $1.5M this year. He also should earn a $1M LTBE bonus just for showing up. His cap number is $3.375M including $875K of prorated signing bonus. His cap number is 9th highest on the team this year behind Favre, Woodson, Kampman, KGB, Clifton, Pickett, Driver and Tauscher.

Tony Oday
07-14-2006, 12:13 PM
and you know his camp number is about where he should be too as a solid corner on a team. He is not elite, nor is woodson until he can put together 16 games, so I dont see why he is bitching UNLESS he just wants a chance to make more money in performance bonuses.

Merlin
07-14-2006, 12:56 PM
I think the problem with Harris is that he sees himself as a better corner then Woodsen. When was the last time Woodsen produced? He has been injured the past two seasons and there is no guarantee he will ever be the pro-bowler he once was (for what one season?). Harris on the other hand has given us 3 good seasons of good play on a defense that has been very questionable. When you have WR's from other teams saying that you are one of the best CB's in the league, that says something. Al Harris is a class act though. He may look like a monkey with those dreads but the guy is a team player and I hope he retires a Packer. I think he saw us overpay a loud mouth "me" type of guy like Woodsen and said "screw that".

Personal Comparison:

I worked for a company where I was in charge of a department of 4-5 developers. When one of them left the company it was my job to hire another one. Since I was hired, the tech market saw a boom in salaries that was not directly reflected in my pay check, I was underpaid about $20K per year but I liked the company so I stayed. I hired a guy who got an offer $15K a year more then I was making. He didn't have more experience, he didn't know the business and he hadn't developed in 2 years. Did I get a raise? Nope. Was I angry? A little, but I held out that my company would make good on it.

I parted ways with that company when it soon became obvious to me that they had no idea what "loyalty" meant. I won't get into the events, but let's just say that unlike Harris, I was not longer appreciated and THAT is the reason I don't work there anymore.

Harris will do the same when he goes unappreciated, mark my words.

Noodle
07-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Merlin and Bretsky make great points. To us schmucks, 5 mil is huge, the lottery, a dream come true.

But it ain't like that for these guys. Don't talk to me about deserve it -- they are in the entertainment business. Does Britany Spears "deserve" all the cash she makes? Not in the sense of contributing anything meaningful. But she generates the cash, so in the most basic sense she does deserve it.

Same way with the players. They generate a ton of cash, and the salary cap has gone up to reflect that. B is right, 5 mil is not megacash for a CB under the new cap, especially one who plays every game and has, for the last couple of years, been lined up against the other teams' No. 1.

And Merlin is right. Circumstances change, and when there's more money around, the guys who signed when there was less understandably want some of that.

I'm glad Kampy got his deal. I also want Harris to get some incentive bonuses added to his contract. Or, like Merlin says, he'll walk. And other players will take notice.

HarveyWallbangers
07-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Actually, I believe Woodson has four Pro Bowls to zero for Harris. He made it his first four years in the league. He's missed half the season two of the last four years. Then again, the Pro Bowl is all about name recognition.

Partial
07-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Merlin and Bretsky make great points. To us schmucks, 5 mil is huge, the lottery, a dream come true.

But it ain't like that for these guys. Don't talk to me about deserve it -- they are in the entertainment business. Does Britany Spears "deserve" all the cash she makes? Not in the sense of contributing anything meaningful. But she generates the cash, so in the most basic sense she does deserve it.

Same way with the players. They generate a ton of cash, and the salary cap has gone up to reflect that. B is right, 5 mil is not megacash for a CB under the new cap, especially one who plays every game and has, for the last couple of years, been lined up against the other teams' No. 1.

And Merlin is right. Circumstances change, and when there's more money around, the guys who signed when there was less understandably want some of that.

I'm glad Kampy got his deal. I also want Harris to get some incentive bonuses added to his contract. Or, like Merlin says, he'll walk. And other players will take notice.

see, he's not worth it though. Lets keep this in prespective. He is a solid number 2 corner. He should be getting what a good #2 corner gets. How much is that you ask? Exactly what Harris is being paid. He wants more money since he was a 6th round pick and never got a phatty paycheck to begin with. That's what it comes down to.

Merlin
07-16-2006, 05:28 PM

see, he's not worth it though. Lets keep this in prespective. He is a solid number 2 corner. He should be getting what a good #2 corner gets. How much is that you ask? Exactly what Harris is being paid. He wants more money since he was a 6th round pick and never got a phatty paycheck to begin with. That's what it comes down to.

I don't blame Harris though. Woodsen IMO should have at the very least shown up for ome of the OTA's. Personal commitment or not, I have 10 Million reasons he needed to be there, not including the obvious one of showing the team you give a shit...

Woodsen is a brand name player, he has a big name but hasn't given anyone anything in two years. Hopefully his play is better then his obvious disrespect for the Packers. I think this will probably be his only season for GB if he doesn't change his attitude...

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Merlin just gave a good example of why Woodson doesn't deserve 10 mil this year, rather than why Harris should get more money. Harris has out played woodson the last two years and i would be piss off if i was Al to. This does not mean however that Al deservers a new deal, but rather that the team made a mistake in giving someone not that deserving a ridiculously big contract.

Thats why earlier i stated that great players should get around 5 mil a year, so that good players like Al Harris don't get to jealous from a 10 mil contract and holdout. Thats why i believe that we kind of over payed for kampman. If these so called great players like woodson only play for 10 mil dollar contracts them IMO they should not be signed.

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2006, 08:23 AM
Kampman might take another step up
By Pete Dougherty

For the last three Green Bay Packers training camps, starting defensive end Aaron Kampman has taken most of his daily one-on-one pass-rushing snaps against Mark Tauscher.

Tauscher, one of the better if under publicized right tackles in the NFL, was superior in the majority of those battles. But after 1½ weeks of camp this year, Kampman is winning more often than in the past.

Could it be Kampman, a prototypical overachiever coming off his best NFL season and set to turn 27 in November, still is an ascending player? Might he continue his annual improvement for several more years despite the conventional wisdom that he's a try-hard and character player with ordinary talent at best?

"I think he's going to be a lot better this year," Tauscher said Wednesday. "People have him as a guy that's maxed out talent wise. I don't see it. I see him as a guy that as he gets older is probably going to get better. If you think of guys like (former NFL defensive end) Trace Armstrong, his ninth, 10th, 11th years were his big sack years. You get a knack for how to beat people, and that's something (Kampman) is going to have a lot of success doing."

Tauscher, who last year at this time correctly predicted Kampman would have something of a breakout year in 2005, disputed that Kampman is beating him more this camp in one-on-ones. Kampman, on the other hand, agreed he's having more success.

Regardless, Tauscher isn't the only member of the organization predicting Kampman can be a noticeably better player than last year, when he had the second-most tackles by a defensive lineman (105) in team history and a career-high 6½ sacks. General Manager Ted Thompson decided that he couldn't allow Kampman to hit the free-agent market after that kind of performance and paid him $11 million in bonuses as part of a four-year, $21 million contract.

That kind of up-front money usually is reserved for stud pass rushers, which Kampman isn't. He's more complete than most defensive ends, and his ability to play the run well plus get a handful of sacks would have made him a coveted player in a free-agent market that was soft at that position last offseason. But is he really worth that kind of money?

"I am what I am," Kampman said. "I've had things written about me good and bad. I answer those questions — what do I say? I play extremely hard and I play with fundamentals. In my mind I believe I do have talent. I'm a football player, that's my profession. I try to do it the best I can. That's it."

Carl Hairston, the Packers' new defensive ends coach who also played 15 years at that position in the NFL, knew little about Kampman while coaching the Kansas City Chiefs' defensive line the past five years. After coach Mike McCarthy hired him in January, Hairston watched all of last year's videotape and saw Kampman as a strong, intelligent, high-effort technician. On the practice field, he's found Kampman to be a little bigger than anticipated — Kampman is listed at 278 pounds — and a decent pass rusher.

Hairston even raised the possibility Kampman could get double-digit sacks this season, which would be a significant jump from the 6½ he had last year.

Though Kampman isn't a rush specialist, he'll get his sack chances because the Packers don't have a speed rusher to pair opposite Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila on passing downs. That means Kampman probably will be the second outside rusher in the nickel and dime defenses, as he was last year, when he played more than 90 percent of the team's defensive snaps. Second-year pro Mike Montgomery hasn't done enough in camp yet to challenge for that job.

"Aaron is well worth what he was paid," Hairston said, "and I think you'll probably see more out of him this year, because he's getting better every year. This is only his (fifth) year. He's got a long career to go."

Perhaps the biggest risk teams have to weigh when paying out a contract such as Kampman's is whether the money will change the player.

Kampman, like many NFL millionaires, hit the mother lode because he had his best season in the last year of his contract. It's not unusual for those players never to play to that level again because they lose their hunger and drive after hitting the free-agent jackpot. The Packers, for instance, have experienced such costly mistakes with receiver Antonio Freeman and defensive tackle Cletidus Hunt.

Thompson risked overpaying Kampman in part because he had no qualms in that regard.

After his big pay day, Kampman and his wife bought a new house with a bigger backyard and a guest room, but both still drive the same vehicles they had last year. Far more importantly, Kampman's attendance in the offseason training program and effort in training camp suggest he's still highly motivated.

"He's definitely got a different edge to him than he's had," Tauscher said. "With the contract that he got, you can see him taking on more responsibility and leadership. He's trying to really prove he's worth the money he's paid, and he's really having a good camp."

woodbuck27
08-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Actually, I believe Woodson has four Pro Bowls to zero for Harris. He made it his first four years in the league. He's missed half the season two of the last four years. Then again, the Pro Bowl is all about name recognition.

Time to jump in here.

I believe that Al Harris based on what T2 paid Charles Woodson feels he's now underpaid and I see clearly his arguement for that. Woodson did this and he did that - based on what?

The past. Those four Pro Bowls will mean diddley squat when it comes right down to performing this season.

Al Harris has merely expressed his displeasure with a Contract that underpays him, compared to a CB that may certainly not give us the service that Al Harris has. Al Harris hasn't gone to the press and called out T2 in any manner embarassing to Ted Thompson or the Team. He has "in fact" shown alot of what he is. Class.

I hope that Al Harris gets more. Only based on what he does for us today.

I feel that Charles Woodson got too much, based on what he did that was very good in the past. I am on record as saying this:

I really believe that Charles Woodson will not return on the investment Ted Thompson gave him. We will be much more pleased with the play of Aaron Kampman over his next 2 X $5 Milllion seasons than what Charles Woodson will give us.

Ted Thompson as B. said (or alluded to) wasn't prepared for this Off Season's Free Agency signing period to begin. What GM would not be fast out of the blocks and aggressive in an approach to land real talent for his team, a TEAM that had/still has, the holes we do?

Ted Thompson in my observation, is on a learning curve as a top flight GM. He certainly wasn't prepared to take advantage of what resources we saw before the FA signing period began.

Ted Thompson had alot of money that needed to be better spent than bringing in a CB that has demonstrated a poor attitude as a team player (the opinion of Raider fans) and a history of concern regarding injury.

Charles Woodson naturally translates to Al Harris being anoid. I'm not buying the scapegoat of it being about Aaron Kampman (white player) as Kampman was pursued by Minny last off season and he was an unristricted Free Agent this, and I'm so glad T2 wrapped him.

Aaron Kampman works his tail off. Al Harris works his tail off.

What has Charles Woodson showed us Packer fans to date after signing, compared to these Packer people? It's pretty clear.

Noone can live on the laurels of the past nor. . . should they be judged for such one way or another.

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH in 2006 !!

RashanGary
08-10-2006, 09:18 AM
I don't like the Woodson signing either. He reminds me a little of Joe Johnson. We'll see though.

Terry
08-10-2006, 10:53 AM
I think Harris has a legitimate claim. His contract was done at a time when salary caps were much lower. He should be making more. Whoever it was who said that the Packers will suffer for it if they don't do something about Harris is right.

As for Thompson, I think you're made some good points, woodbuck. I was particularly struck by your comment, "Ted Thompson in my observation, is on a learning curve as a top flight GM. He certainly wasn't prepared to take advantage of what resources we saw before the FA signing period began." I think you're dead right about Thompson being in a learning curve. I would only add that things are promising in regard to Thompson - he seems pretty bright and he certainly has shown he has an eye for talent. After all the complaints and worry about him, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he developed into a top notch GM for GB.

woodbuck27
08-10-2006, 11:14 AM
I think Harris has a legitimate claim. His contract was done at a time when salary caps were much lower. He should be making more. Whoever it was who said that the Packers will suffer for it if they don't do something about Harris is right.

As for Thompson, I think you're made some good points, woodbuck. I was particularly struck by your comment, "Ted Thompson in my observation, is on a learning curve as a top flight GM. He certainly wasn't prepared to take advantage of what resources we saw before the FA signing period began." I think you're dead right about Thompson being in a learning curve. I would only add that things are promising in regard to Thompson - he seems pretty bright and he certainly has shown he has an eye for talent. After all the complaints and worry about him, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he developed into a top notch GM for GB.

We need just that Terry. Ted Thompson certainly is a decent fella and has the smarts. He's got to step up a little faster - take risks.

HOLD THE FAITH - PACKERS in 2006 and BEYOND !!

BallHawk
08-10-2006, 11:27 AM
I think one of the main reasons we payed so much is that we have so little depth at DE.

woodbuck27
08-10-2006, 11:34 AM
I think one of the main reasons we payed so much is that we have so little depth at DE.

I'm just so glad we kept Aaron Kampman as noone's gives more to OUR team. Him and Barnett and Al Harris on "D".

Favre and DD, Hendo,Bubba and Ahman Green (Samkon Gado) on "O". All solid character players.

These MEN are OUR Leaders as I see it.

GO PACKERS ! HOLD ONTO FAITH in 2006 !!

Scott Campbell
08-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Woodson's contract was a result of an overpriced free agent market due to the cap rising so significantly in one year. Teams that were completely tapped out all of a sudden found themselves with a huge free agent budget when the CBA was completed. Ted wouldn't overpay like everyone early on, and when the talent pool began to dry up he used Woodson to preserve his available cap space for future years.

That contract is wildly front-loaded. That contract used up much of this years available cap space without hindering our ability to go shopping in future years. And after the shopping binge this year, there won't be as many dollars chasing so few players resulting in a much more team friendly free agent market next year.

It would have been interesting to see who we could have landed had the new CBA not been completed. Then there would have only been a handful of teams bidding for the available players. Our roster might look significantly different had that been the case.

I believe Ted exercised a tremendous amount of prudent fiscal restraint in this overpriced market, and is now paying the price for it in the naive court of public opinion.

woodbuck27
08-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Woodson's contract was a result of an overpriced free agent market due to the cap rising so significantly in one year. Teams that were completely tapped out all of a sudden found themselves with a huge free agent budget when the CBA was completed. Ted wouldn't overpay like everyone early on, and when the talent pool began to dry up he used Woodson to preserve his available cap space for future years.

That contract is wildly front-loaded. That contract used up much of this years available cap space without hindering our ability to go shopping in future years. And after the shopping binge this year, there won't be as many dollars chasing so few players resulting in a much more team friendly free agent market next year.

It would have been interesting to see who we could have landed had the new CBA not been completed. Then there would have only been a handful of teams bidding for the available players. Our roster might look significantly different had that been the case.

I believe Ted exercised a tremendous amount of prudent fiscal restraint in this overpriced market, and is now paying the price for it in the naive court of public opinion.

No Scott. Your point is well made on the basis of it's focus.

Good post. :mrgreen:

RashanGary
08-10-2006, 01:54 PM

I pretty much agree with this but I'm still not happy to have gotten Woodson. He talks about how hard he worked out in the off season and I can't help but think he was full of shit hearing his quotes. He just seems like he doesn't give a shit at this point and he's just coasting through his last big deal. JOE JOHNSON ring a bell? Javon Walker would have felt alot better than Woodson to me.

Tony Oday
08-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Well Nick just wait until he has 10 picks this year it will make you fuzzy all over ;)

Want some Kool-aid? I have purple Kool-aid tonight :D

Astonishment
08-10-2006, 02:17 PM
I pretty much agree with this but I'm still not happy to have gotten Woodson. He talks about how hard he worked out in the off season and I can't help but think he was full of shit hearing his quotes. He just seems like he doesn't give a shit at this point and he's just coasting through his last big deal. JOE JOHNSON ring a bell? Javon Walker would have felt alot better than Woodson to me.

I am not sure where this thinking comes from. Getting Woodson with the contract the way it was structured is a low risk high reward for this team. It is definately not nice to hear some of the things he has said or not see him at the volentary workouts, but with his contract his proof has to come with his play. Reguardless of what he says if he plays well the Packers have a major bargin next year. If he flops he can be let go for very little. He can't just coast through anthing, because unlike JJ he has to perform this year or he will find himself on the steet with no one trying to pay to get him when the season is over. Honestly Woodsons kind of contract is the exact kind a player should sign in the NFL, but it is great news for the Packers. All that said I agree with you that I would have liked to get Javon inked with our cap room.

Partial
08-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Anyone know what would be the cap ramifications if say Woodson did not work out and was cut after the season? I believe it is mostly roster bonus left and incentives, maybe a few mil in the signing bonus, so I don't think it'd be horrible. Definitely agree that this is a good contract!