View Full Version : WORST FOOTBALL ANNOUNCER

Bretsky
04-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Here's an OT before the draft

Bretsky
04-19-2009, 12:08 AM
OR....write in your own

For me this one is a landslike.

As a sidenote, Bryant Gumble has a nice show now, and he's very talented. But he was not good when given game specific duties.

Lurker64
04-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Bryant Gumbel sounded like a muppet devoid of all of the characteristic muppet wit and wry charm, and he seemed annoyed that there was a football game going on and he was compelled to to talk about it instead of whatever else he felt like talking about.

Probably the worst announcer for anything ever.

Bretsky
04-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Bryant Gumbel sounded like a muppet devoid of all of the characteristic muppet wit and wry charm, and he seemed annoyed that there was a football game going on and he was compelled to to talk about it instead of whatever else he felt like talking about.

Probably the worst announcer for anything ever.

He sure deserves a spot on here; but for me it's all about the Kornhole
As much as I hated Dennis Miller I think I like him more than da Korn

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Gumble was HORRIBLE, in my best Bill Walton voice.

Kornholio is second worst.

Theesman was bad also.

Bretsky
04-19-2009, 12:25 AM
IMO McGuire was 4x worse than Theisman

a lot of these QB's are turning into pretty good media guys.

SnakeLH2006
04-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Peeps hate Kornheiser cuz he's recent, but anyone my age (28) or older remembers Dan Dierdorf. Kornheiser sucks cuz he's annoying and so off topic and is so out of place (Snake loves guys who PLAYED the game, but if not STFU unless you are talking the game)...Korny sucks bad, but Dierdorf was so damn bad he made Madden look like Einstein. God that guy sounded more stupid than he looked (and goddamn that is saying something). :lol:

Partial
04-19-2009, 12:58 AM
Cannot stand Gumble's voice.

channtheman
04-19-2009, 03:09 AM
I saw Kornhole and voted for him and then I was reading the comments and noticed that Gumbel was an option. I think Gumbel is worse than Korhhole but they are pretty close.

Joemailman
04-19-2009, 07:53 AM
I voted for Korny, but I think Eric Dickerson, Joe Namath and O.J. Simpson were all as bad or worse. Too bad Emmitt Smith never got his chance.

MJZiggy
04-19-2009, 10:56 AM
I voted for Korn, but I still hate it when Aikman calls Dallas games. The bias there is insane.

sheepshead
04-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Theisman without a doubt. The guys a wienie.

oregonpackfan
04-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Easily for Kornheiser. The guy is loud, highly opinionated, condescending towards the opinions of others, and simply does not have as extensive a knowledge of his peers in the industry.

His clothing is also unprofessional. He likes to broadcast in Penny loafers while not wearing socks.

He got nauseating when he kept harping over and over how the Packers made a mistake in letting Brett Favre go. The end of the season sure proved him wrong.

sheepshead
04-19-2009, 11:48 AM
My other reasoning and I know its not in the poll, is I dont really dislike Kornoleo on the radio. He's actually ok in that format. Theisman is a jerk and from what I hear is in his private life also.

The Shadow
04-19-2009, 11:49 AM
I would rather listen to ANY of these guys than Jim Irwin, who I always have considered the worst I've ever heard.

Partial
04-19-2009, 11:52 AM
He got nauseating when he kept harping over and over how the Packers made a mistake in letting Brett Favre go. The end of the season sure proved him wrong.

You mean when the Packers won 1 out of their last 6 :D Just kidding OPF. It's well documented the struggles the Jets had late in the season, but one would have an equally challenging time arguing the Pack did any better.

pittstang5
04-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Wow, this is tough.

Let's see.....I hate Brian Baldinger - reminds me of Mongo from Heathcliff...don't ask me why.

Hate Joe Buck, since he annouced this past years World Series and put down the Phillies any chance he could, so now I just hate him (Go Phils!)

Hate Kornholio for obvious reasons.

Hate Chris Collinsworth...can't really explain this one, probably just hate his voice.

Love Saragosa, even though he isn't really an announcer, but he's funnier than Pam Oliver...who sucks on the sidelines.

swede
04-19-2009, 12:36 PM
If you could combine the grating, Brooklyn braying of Kornheiser with Bryant Gumbel's smooth yet obnoxious uninformed self-regard you would certainly have the worst football announcer in sports.

Since I agree with Kornheiser once in a while the nod goes to Gumbel.

Guiness
04-19-2009, 12:42 PM
I voted for Korny, but I think Eric Dickerson, Joe Namath and O.J. Simpson were all as bad or worse. Too bad Emmitt Smith never got his chance.

O.J.? Really? Are you talking about him in general, because yes, he was a despicable human being. But I liked him as an announcer, he was pretty decent.

From this list, I've got to go with Gumbel. I only saw him once or twice, but it was painful. I actually changed the channel it aggravated me so much.

Joemailman
04-19-2009, 01:02 PM
It's been a long time, but my recollection is that O.J. made a lot of mistakes that someone without his celebrity wouldn't have gotten away with.

I though he was damn good in Naked Gun though. http://edgecastcdn.net/800004/fa01.jaman.com/dload/u1/0LJhF0jIRQfw/1/5/1/1219273301/3002/Naked-Gun-2-1-2-Smell-of-Fear.jpg

DonHutson
04-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Out of that group I voted for Kornheiser. But I don't blame him so much as the idiot that gave him a job he wasn't qualified for.

My real vote would be for the latest golden boy announcer, Joe Buck. I think he's a pompous twit.

Zool
04-19-2009, 02:49 PM
This poll is skewed. If Theismann was still announcing you would remember his God awfulness.

Maxie the Taxi
04-19-2009, 06:21 PM
The thing I hate most is the modern format where they interview guests in the booth, etc. and forget about the game. And when they don't show the huddle.

Anybody here old enough to remember Lindsey Nelson? Classic voice, classic call of the game.

I voted for the Cornhoser guy. Can't stan him.

gbgary
04-19-2009, 08:40 PM
i voted gumble. i think he's the only one in the group that tried to do play-by-play. the others were color/analysis guys.

Anybody here old enough to remember Lindsey Nelson? Classic voice, classic call of the game.

i remember him and you're right but didn't like him.

digitaldean
04-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Kornheiser is so full of himself and stays on a topic and beats to death and then some.

Bryant Gumbel is only a hair better than him.

To be honest, one not on the list is James Brown, now with CBS pre-game.

I remember getting him in the 80s, especially with the Tampa games. He was just awful.

Packman_26
04-20-2009, 01:52 AM
It's been a long time, but my recollection is that O.J. made a lot of mistakes that someone without his celebrity wouldn't have gotten away with.

lol, you can say that again...

cpk1994
04-20-2009, 06:13 AM
The thing I hate most is the modern format where they interview guests in the booth, etc. and forget about the game. And when they don't show the huddle.

I voted for the Cornhoser guy. Can't stan him.Actually, interviewing guests in the booth on MNF is not a mnodern format. When MNF started in the '70's, they were always interviewing guests in the booth and then did away with it. ESPN simply went back to that.

Maxie the Taxi
04-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Actually, interviewing guests in the booth on MNF is not a mnodern format. When MNF started in the '70's, they were always interviewing guests in the booth and then did away with it. ESPN simply went back to that.

Yeah, I remember that now. But like everything else, the modern guys push it to an extreme.

Fritz
04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
I think Tony Kornholer, hands down. No one was more self-important and less useful.

Where's Howard Cosell when you need him? He was an ass, but he was a hell of an announcer.

hurleyfan
04-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Where's Howard Cosell when you need him? He was an ass, but he was a hell of an announcer.

I was going to ask why Cosell wasn't on the list as one of the worst of all time.. Just never like his style.. and who was the other idiot in the booth, "Dandy" Don Meredith? Talk about 2 idiots wasting air time!

Voted for Mcguire in this one tho

Bossman641
04-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Wow this is a tough choice.

Kornheiser is extremely obnoxious, opinionated, and doesn't actually KNOW the game - not a good combination when you are announcing a football game.

But I've gotta go with Gumbel just for the fact that I couldn't stand his voice. Between the dozens of errors in the few games that he did and that annoying pitch, he's the pick.

MadScientist
04-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Kornheiser is about as enjoyable to listen to as fingernails on a blackboard. Dead air would be more likely to give useful analysis.