PDA

View Full Version : Current Packer Roster: Position by Position Vs. Draft Needs

SnakeLH2006
04-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Wow. Snake just read a "good" article with basis on JSOnline. Yes, it' rare lately, but before you jump ship, it wasn't written by their poor writers of late per say, but quoted from a personnel exec from another team. Lots of good analysis of the teams positions: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/43202507.html

What jumped out at Snake were what Snake has been preaching as of late. Clifton is on his last legs, as much as Snake loves Tauchy, he's started to decline (not as much as Cliffy did) but is also injured and a FA. The scout says to upgrade BOTH OT's positions if possible. Snake couldn't agree more.

Snake follows with what the "expert said through paraphrase" as I don't wanna risk a JSO quote on here, lol... then my take:

WR: Fine he said: Snake agrees. We don't need Crabby, that doesn't make us better as Jordy is gonna ignite. :)

TE: Need a blocker: Snake doesn't think we need it so much as high draft pick. Those dudes are serviceable as 4th rounders and later if needed.

OT: Stated it.

OG: Fine: Agreed. Sitton may turn out well. Like him.

Center: Wells sucks, Spitz is the man: Yep.

QB: Fine: Oh hells ya.

RB: Committee is fine, Grant is not the answer. Could draft one: Yeppers! Grant is not that great, but fine till we find better.

FB: Fine...a spread team: Both Kuhn, Hall are pretty deece. Like 'em.

DE: Fine...like them: Nope, Snake couldn't think that with relying on Montgomery (total waste of space, error prone...wore out Snakes rewind button on DVR remote trying to find out why a big run play happened, then seeing Mont. flat on his back) or JH (hasn't played via injuries) is a good thing to revisit in 2009. Gotta upgrade or move someone else in there...Jolly might work if he gets off his drugs.

NT: Pickett and JH. Pickett's fine: Maybe so, but Raji would be huge (and HUGE physical) upgrade as Pickett looked tired last year and at 30 and a FA this year. Would love to see BJ or Ron Brace drafted.

LOLB: Exec hates Kampy. Says ROLB's should pass rush and he's not close to Kevin Greene, his position coach: NEVER count out Kampy. EVER. He'll be damn good. He's a Football player and makes plays. This guy is wrong here.

ROLB: Says this is the #1 draft need for GB (some have said it, and Snake is starting to come around to it) Asks if TT thinks Popps is Harrison and states Chillar is Filler: Snake really enjoyed that take there and agree Popps is Poops and Chillar is a backup at best. Gotta upgrade and if this is the top pick sobeit (would rather have BJ at NT or a slipping OT to upgrade either OT spot, but this may/prob. will be the best pick).

ILB: Hawk and Barnett are OK but need depth: Both will be better. Hawk just has to have the light come on, no??:wink: But Barnett really played well the last 2 years and should be back and Snake really liked the Bishop. If we don't get a top guy for ROLB, we need to shift some shit around with the LB core to get that dude some playing time at ILB. Snake really loves Desmond Bishop, but only at ILB.

CB: Same guys. Travon will get a new deal: Snake feels TW will be starter with his speed, instinct, tenacity real soon. Love that guy. The rest of the backups are filler garbage, but keep Blackmon somehow as he's the best PR the Pack has had since 2001 with Rossum by far. Gotta upgrade with some high picks as Wood and esp Al (and big fans of each are 32/34 now) are getting old quick. Jury is out on Lee (typical rookie last year...don't know much either way if he'll be great/out the league in a few years, but Snake is hopeful he's solid in 2009). JH hates him though. :lol:

Safety: Exec sucks Nick's dick. Hates all the others, except Smith the new street FA signing: Collins has all the skills, but Snake feels we better wait till halfway through the season to resign this guy. He beasted last year. Hell ya, and loved it, but sucked so bad for 3 years before..Hopefully it's BEAST not FEAST with ole Saint Nick. Snake don't see it with Smith..sounds like a guy with skills but immature and unproven (well proven he gets his ass beat for multiple TD's on MNF...Snake seen it and so did the other 31 GM's else we'd not be able to "steal" him for a measly 2 year deal.) I like it though, as it adds competition, but really like Bigby if he's healthy. He was very solid with picks, so-so in coverage (but that's not SS's forte), a beast in the run (Chuck Cecil anyone?)...and just exciting to watch. So many split opinions on Atari with the Rats on here over the last year or so. Snake like the Atari when he's healthy...and it's always good to have at least one guy to knock out the smelling salts for the opposition as we have NOONE else to administer fear on our D. That shit doesn't always show up in stats, but love to watch him, and you know they fuck up pass routes knowing he might just throw his body up to knock someone the fuck out like the Iceman Liddell (sorry love the the UFC). Upgrade possibly, but doubt they draft ANY safeties.

Kicker: Crosby is OK...needs competition: Whatever..strongest leg in the league, cheap, young. Perfect.

Punter: Sucks: Sucks!! Bring back Paul McJulien. 8-)

Returner: Blackmon is deece: Yes he's deece beast! He's the best since Rossum. Love this guy.

------------------------------------------------------

Overall the NFL personnel exec likes our roster recommends upgrades with high draft picks at both OT's and esp. at ROLB to get some pass rush.

Snake mostly agrees and thinks this is the best article he read on JSO in some time...mostly cuz it was paraphrased from the exec and not an opinion the shit JSO writers as of late.

Takes? The exec left his take, the Snake posted his own after each position. Where is the strengths/weaknesses of our Packer roster vs. where you rate it.

Snake is ALWAYS right. :roll: Well mostly, lol, but the exed echoed most of what I thought and Snake liked hearing some optimism that our roster is pretty solid if injuries subside.

Bretsky
04-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Teddy's mojo is the BPA

I get a kick out of all these guys that say we don't need. Jordy Nelson is fine; our WR's are fine. But what if Crabby turns out to be the best player there hands down ? And what if he's rated as that by TT ?

Crabby is going top 5; no way will we have a shot

BUT if he's there at #9, and we take a guy like Raji over him and Crabby turns into a perennial all pro....it was a huge mistake.

It's TT's job to draft an all pro with this pick

we're not winning a SB next year.

Just draft the best player. Get us a perennial star

RB, WR, OT, LB, DL

I don't care for next year; just get us the shining star TTT

SnakeLH2006
04-19-2009, 12:29 AM
Teddy's mojo is the BPA

I get a kick out of all these guys that say we don't need. Jordy Nelson is fine; our WR's are fine. But what if Crabby turns out to be the best player there hands down ? And what if he's rated as that by TT ?

Crabby is going top 5; no way will we have a shot

BUT if he's there at #9, and we take a guy like Raji over him and Crabby turns into a perennial all pro....it was a huge mistake.

It's TT's job to draft an all pro with this pick

we're not winning a SB next year.

Just draft the best player. Get us a perennial star

RB, WR, OT, LB, DL

I don't care for next year; just get us the shining star TTT

LOL, yo Bret you are the man, and first off cuz Snake loves passion, but I was joking (hard to do typing) but Jordy may be OK, but I said he'd ignite, not a beast. Snake only throws the beast term around when he means it...Jennings, Kampy...bout it.

This is something you should have posted in the TT thread I had a week ago which is still active as I know you have a hard-on for Crabby and Wells...so be it, if we get them, Snake's happy either way, and instantly loves our pick.

This is mostly roster analysis though, so it seems out of place. Strengths vs. Weaknesses. Why couldn't you post that on there? LOL, it's all good, but the whole point of this thread is "strengthening our roster" and absolutely nothing to do with BPA.

You must be drunk...and would love to down some beer with ya Bret, but Snake is always wasted (and right now) but still adheres logic to posts overall. Wrong thread bro. BTW, Jordy is not all that, was just joking about that, but if he is????????? Then what? LOL

Lurker64
04-19-2009, 01:17 AM
The OLB situation is weird. Usually teams have one OLB who's the primary pass rusher and one OLB who's more of a complete player and has more coverage responsibilities. Now I'm not going to count Kampman out, since he's totally a gamer, but I don't think he's going to be great in coverage right away, the best we can hope for is serviceable. So the other OLB will need to be a guy who can cover and do all of the normal OLB things.

The weird part about it is that Kampman is much more comfortable rushing from the left, and the primary pass rusher in the 3-4 is usually lined up on the right (the QB's blindside). If we play Kampman a lot in the OLB slot (we should, he's a good player), it's going to be the opposite of the way a 3-4 team usually behaves.

I think the odds of us getting a guy in the draft to step in and play the other OLB spot right away as a primary rusher are very slim, since that would give us 2 LBs who can rush and 0 (probably) who can play coverage, and you can't get away with that unless your pass rush is epic.

More or less agree with the Scout's analysis though. We're set at ILB, NT (starter, need a backup), FS, CB (for now), QB, WR, and all of the interior OL positions (Colledge/Spitz/Sitton can be a good trio for years if they all stay inside). Tackle is a big concern (though Colledge would do fine outside, it would just open up a hole inside), FB is serviceable and we're really the only team that gets much use out of the FB anyway (Kuhn might be gone if we pick up Fiametta), SS there's a big question but there's some talent there (if we could put Atari Bigby's brain in Aaron Rouse's body we might have the best SS ever). I'm not sold on the DE situation as much as the scout is, but we can probably make due. RB we could use somebody, or at least somebody different than what we have (Grant and Jackson are very similar players, the rest are kind of JAG-ey). We definitely have things we could and should upgrade, but very few needs that ought to inspire panic.

I'm strongly thinking that we take an OT at #9 now, probably Oher.

RashanGary
04-19-2009, 06:24 AM

If Raji is not there, I'm starting to think the same thing. I worry that both Oher and Raji will be gone because Raji should go early and Oher could easily go to Jacksonville, who needs an OT.

ND72
04-19-2009, 08:02 AM

If Raji is not there, I'm starting to think the same thing. I worry that both Oher and Raji will be gone because Raji should go early and Oher could easily go to Jacksonville, who needs an OT.

Going to say this again...if there is ANY question mark behind Raji, I do not see Ted Thompson drafting him. Remember, TT is all about good character people, as well as McCarthy. If there is any truth behind drug tests, and the fact he had grade problems, in my mind that raises questions on Thompson's draft board.

wist43
04-19-2009, 08:23 AM
The exec didn't say he hated Kampman... he said he hated him as an OLB who has to drop; citing that the new defense usually calls for most of the pass rush coming from the LB position to come from the right side.

That said, he also thinks they're okay on the DL, and that Barnett can take on blocks effectively... which is nothing short of delusional. He does cite rush LB as GB's greatest need, which I agree with, but in general, I see GB's front seven as being among the worst in the league... they need help everywhere in the front seven.

texaspackerbacker
04-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Rushing from the right forces the QB to roll left--which most don't do as well at. I think Kampman can be effective there, just like he was at LDE in the 4-3. The RDE has to have more chase speed, as the QB would be more comfortable rolling/scrambling right.

A lot of the roster thing is sensible. A lot of Snake's comments are sensible.

I've said many times, no strong needs. That doesn't mean we can't improve, though. We should get somebody like Gilbert or Hood about 2nd or 3rd round--more likely, Ted will take somebody less known, though. I'd also like to see us get Brace or some big NT 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round. Beyond that, I'm comfortable as is. We'd be dumping good players to get question marks for the most part elsewhere on D.

It still has to be a top four OT or maybe Crabtree in the first round.

arcilite
04-19-2009, 10:55 AM
I think I would be happy with: OT or DE/LB

I think picking at 9 we will have lots of options available...maybe even trade down if the price is right.

Just no Everette Brown please.

Tarlam!
04-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Hey Snake, I just wanted to compliment you on your post that started this thread. I really enjoyed reading your insights and views. Thanks for the great read.

Deputy Nutz
04-19-2009, 09:39 PM
I see the Packers running a lot of bastardized 4-3. Kampman is going to have his hand down on the ground a lot more than many think. This defense is going to transition into the 3-4 and it is going to take a two year process. Capers can't totally go could turkey on the 4-3, in fact the Pats and the Steelers show a 4 man front often, Pats do it more often than the Steelers. The biggest thing is variety. There are a lot of smart football players in the front 7, they can handle a lot. The Lack of variety is what got Bob Sanders fired.

Joemailman
04-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Yep. Capers spent last year in New England, and no doubt will incorporate some of the stuff he saw Belichick do. It will be different trying to figure out what kind of a defense the Packers are lining up in. In the past we usually knew, and so did the opposition.

BZnDallas
04-19-2009, 10:49 PM
I see the Packers running a lot of bastardized 4-3. Kampman is going to have his hand down on the ground a lot more than many think. This defense is going to transition into the 3-4 and it is going to take a two year process. Capers can't totally go could turkey on the 4-3, in fact the Pats and the Steelers show a 4 man front often, Pats do it more often than the Steelers. The biggest thing is variety. There are a lot of smart football players in the front 7, they can handle a lot. The Lack of variety is what got Bob Sanders fired.

I agree with you deputy, and i think wist has also shared some opinions on this aswell... it would be hard to transition to a full out 3-4 in one year, so i see a hybrid of the 3-4 and the 4-3... i actually really like the idea... if the offenses we play have to prepare for multiple looks it should only make things easier on us...

i also agree that Capers will do a much better job at not being vanilla like the guy he is replacing... i for one can't wait to see what he can do!!! :D

Guiness
04-20-2009, 12:02 AM
DE: Fine...like them: Nope, Snake couldn't think that with relying on Montgomery (total waste of space, error prone...wore out Snakes rewind button on DVR remote trying to find out why a big run play happened, then seeing Mont. flat on his back) or JH (hasn't played via injuries) is a good thing to revisit in 2009. Gotta upgrade or move someone else in there...Jolly might work if he gets off his drugs.

Um, he's a long way from being 'on drugs'. No +ve tests, no proof the drank was his, etc.

So far, all we know fer sure is that he made a stupid decision that night...nothing more.

bbbffl66
04-20-2009, 03:59 PM
[.

I've said many times, no strong needs. That doesn't mean we can't improve, though. We should get somebody like Gilbert or Hood about 2nd or 3rd round--more likely, Ted will take somebody less known, though. I'd also like to see us get Brace or some big NT 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round. Beyond that, I'm comfortable as is. We'd be dumping good players to get question marks for the most part elsewhere on D.

Why wood we want Estus Hood? He was god awful the first time he was here! :)

Fritz
04-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Man, that scout must be related to Tex. . . . I hope the two are correct in their assessment.

I will say this: Thompson has been firm in saying that he likes this team.

He's going to live or die by it. Clearly he's not thinking he needs to gut what he's done so far and hurry up and start over. I'll give Teddy that much; he's got the courage of his convictions.

Weird to see a scout or personnel guy from another team agree...you don't usually describe 6-10 teams as not having many holes.

SnakeLH2006
04-21-2009, 02:33 AM
Hey Snake, I just wanted to compliment you on your post that started this thread. I really enjoyed reading your insights and views. Thanks for the great read.

Thanks bro. Snake appreciates it. Glad to see you regularly posting again on the Rats, too.

Love having old-school witty, sarcastic bastards such as you (sounds like Snake, lol) beat it out on the threads.

What's your (anyone's) take on Desmond Bishop? I think this guy steps up this year. Looked damn half-man/half-amazing in preseason 2008 (and a bit in limited reg. season snaps) and quite ready to step in at one of the ILB spots if possible. He's about the only (maybe JH if he gets healthy) holdover Snake sees stepping up to perform at a surprise level in 2009 (and damn do we need it).