PDA

View Full Version : Ted Thompson Pre-Draft Press Conference

Joemailman
04-20-2009, 09:18 AM
http://www.packers.com/multimedia/packers_on_air_schedule/

Tune in and hear Ted Thompson avoid giving answers to any questions about what the Packers are looking for in this draft. Should be great.

PlantPage55
04-20-2009, 09:25 AM
http://www.packers.com/multimedia/packers_on_air_schedule/

Tune in and hear Ted Thompson avoid giving answers to any questions about what the Packers are looking for in this draft. Should be great.

One of my favorite, rare pastimes is listening to Ted Thompson skillfully give "nothing" answers to reporters for 30 minutes. I love to hear them sigh and cringe.

sheepshead
04-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Yeah, really whats the point of this? Go play a round of golf Ted.

Joemailman
04-20-2009, 01:44 PM
http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2009/04/20/2/

Press conference transcript.

Waldo
04-20-2009, 01:57 PM
(But do you think the margin for error is any less because you don't do as much in free agency?)
I haven't thought of it in those terms. I'm sure if you think it is, then it is.

And in other news, Thompson verbally gives the finger to reporters.

Fritz
04-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Somehow I'm glad that Ted doesn't know what Facebook is.

Zool
04-20-2009, 02:48 PM
(But do you think the margin for error is any less because you don't do as much in free agency?)
I haven't thought of it in those terms. I'm sure if you think it is, then it is.

Fritz
04-20-2009, 06:24 PM
It's as close as Thompson will get to flipping someone off.

CaliforniaCheez
04-20-2009, 06:30 PM
I found his explanation of the Packer draft board rivoting.

We have a board that takes up a whole wall.

The positions go across the top horizontally and the rounds we grade them in go down the left side vertically.

Now the Receivers are alway on the far left, then TE's, the Tackles, Guards and Centers, then QB's, RB's and FB,s. Then we start with the defvense with Defensive ends, Defensive Tackles, Linebackers, etc.

He carfully avoided mentioning where the kickers and punters are placed on the board. (Why? Could he draft a Punter in the first round?)

He said when it is their time to pick in the round they look at which names are left on the board and they make a decision.

The dynamics were facinating!!

He seemed to slip up and indicate there was a name he was very interested in. Is it Buehler the Punter? Raji? We may never know unless Ted actually drafts the player he wants.

Watch the wonderful press conference again and you will learn a lot!!

The Shadow
04-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Personally, I WANT a GM who doesn't tip his hand at all.
I also want generals who feel no pressure to reveal to the driveby media what their plans are before military actions.
It's always funny to read the outraged comments by the anti-Thompson faction who are outraged that Ted does not share his thoughts with them before the draft.

swede
04-20-2009, 07:13 PM
I loved this little nugget off a Draft Day Dope Sheet PDF on the Packers.com site.

The last time the Packers took four or more players in the top 83 was
2006, when they chose five times in the first 75 selections. Among
those drafted were current starters A.J. Hawk (fifth overall), Daryn
Colledge (47th), Greg Jennings (52nd) and Jason Spitz (75th).
All four were primary starters in their rookie season.

And, once again, our picks are:
Round Round # Overall #
1 9 9
2 9 41
3 9 73
3 19 83 (from N.Y. Jets)
4 9 109
5 9 145
6 9 182
6 14 187 (from New Orleans)
7 9 218

MJZiggy
04-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Have these people ever heard of lav mics? Yeesh.

Waldo
04-20-2009, 08:19 PM
I found his explanation of the Packer draft board rivoting.

We have a board that takes up a whole wall.

The positions go across the top horizontally and the rounds we grade them in go down the left side vertically.

Now the Receivers are alway on the far left, then TE's, the Tackles, Guards and Centers, then QB's, RB's and FB,s. Then we start with the defvense with Defensive ends, Defensive Tackles, Linebackers, etc.

He carfully avoided mentioning where the kickers and punters are placed on the board. (Why? Could he draft a Punter in the first round?)

He said when it is their time to pick in the round they look at which names are left on the board and they make a decision.

The dynamics were facinating!!

He seemed to slip up and indicate there was a name he was very interested in. Is it Buehler the Punter? Raji? We may never know unless Ted actually drafts the player he wants.

Watch the wonderful press conference again and you will learn a lot!!

Gil Brandt is quite emphatic that it is Tyson Jackson. He's also quite emphatic that he won't be there at #9.

Fritz
04-20-2009, 08:24 PM
If Thompson truly adores Jackson that much, could he move up far enough to grab him, given that KC is the team rumored to be interested in Action Jackson?

Bretsky
04-20-2009, 08:26 PM
KC's not taking Jackson at 3 :!:

CaptainKickass
04-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Pre Draft conference...Post Nasal Drip. Whatever.

HEY - FREAKIN' NFL!!!!

I COULD REALLY USE SOME FRIGGIN FOOTBALL RIGHT ABOUT NOW !!!!!

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Regards,

The Captain.

Waldo
04-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Completely unrelated to anything.

Right now at 10:00 ET on the Science channel, build it bigger is doing a thing on the Cowboys new stadium.

My brother designed the roof and he is interviewed for a part of it.

You'll see where my user name comes from.

Check it out. :D

swede
04-21-2009, 12:11 PM

Right now at 10:00 ET on the Science channel, build it bigger is doing a thing on the Cowboys new stadium.

Did you have an opportunity to hack into his CAD program and make it leak?

cpk1994
04-21-2009, 12:16 PM

Check it out. :DAnd here I thought you were named after Waldo Geraldo Faldo. :lol:

Cheesehead Craig
04-21-2009, 12:26 PM

Did you have an opportunity to hack into his CAD program and make it leak?
All I know is that when that stadium is done, I'll be taking the Cowboys in my dead pool for when that giant TV falls on their sideline.

Waldo
04-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Nah, if it doesn't fail almost immediately after being hung, it's not going to. That's not how steel works. Steel doesn't lose any strength of significance as it creeps or ages, only rust would really be a real threat, as there is no cyclic loading of the scoreboard (at least of significance) to cause failure in the long term (a la a bridge). The minor shifts in building that effect the loading and loading from maintenance workers is insignificant enough that it could easily take billions of cycles. If it's going to fail from poor design, it'll happen in the first 15 minutes.

Steel is remarkably effective at holding itself up. It's strength:weight ratio is exceptional and its properties are very predictable. You can design to a high degree of precision, with a built in 60% overdesign factor of safety via the steel code. Plus the design loading for a structure like that is typically a major earthquake during a major hurricane, an absolutely ridiculous case. The towers that I've worked on have had bomb blasts, airplane hits, plus the earthquake/hurricane as the extreme design cases, normal loading isn't even much of a factor in design, it is a starting point, but public structures are designed far beyond that.

Engineers learned their lesson with the Hyatt walkway design (the last non-intentional/non-weather event major building failure in the US), the Oklahoma city government building, the World Trade Center, and the Superdome.

RashanGary
04-21-2009, 02:14 PM
237 187

Ted Thompson traded last years 7th round pick (#237) for New Orleans 6th round pick this year (#187).

This is the type of move I'd like to see more of. He moved up 50 spots for free. Well, he has to wait a year to make the pick, but this is the type of move GM's that are not desperate make.

New England is constantly getting extra picks in the following year for picks right now. They almost won the SB two years ago. Maybe they would ahve won it if they would have taken an impact player instead of trading into the following years draft, but probably they wouldn't be where they are if they didn't make those types of moves. It seems to me that the best teams aren't just focused on right now , instead focusing on the big picture. Yesterdays big picture thinking is what won the Steelers a SB right now, for example. The best teams are consistently good, giving themselves more shots instead of selling out for one desperate shot.

Ted oozes a winners mentality, even when he speaks in general terms and even if some people can't see it for the life of them.

Bossman641
04-21-2009, 02:34 PM
237 187

Ted Thompson traded last years 7th round pick (#237) for New Orleans 6th round pick this year (#187).

This is the type of move I'd like to see more of. He moved up 50 spots for free. Well, he has to wait a year to make the pick, but this is the type of move GM's that are not desperate make.

New England is constantly getting extra picks in the following year for picks right now. They almost won the SB two years ago. Maybe they would ahve won it if they would have taken an impact player instead of trading into the following years draft, but probably they wouldn't be where they are if they didn't make those types of moves. It seems to me that the best teams aren't just focused on right now , instead focusing on the big picture. Yesterdays big picture thinking is what won the Steelers a SB right now, for example. The best teams are consistently good, giving themselves more shots instead of selling out for one desperate shot.

Ted oozes a winners mentality, even when he speaks in general terms and even if some people can't see it for the life of them.

I agree with your post and your general take on TT, except for the fact he oozes a winner's mentality. I, personally, think TT's approach is the winning way and that the arrow for this team is pointing up, but TT doesn't have the confidence I would associate with a winner. A quiet confidence maybe, and sure of his method, but not a brash confdence. Instead, he withstands the criticism from fans and the media and never says "I told you so" back, which I think I respect him even more for.

RashanGary
04-21-2009, 03:05 PM
I agree, bossman. I can see the strength in him and so do a lot of people, but there are also a lot that see something else. He doesn't use the cookie cutter management style taught at seminars that is proven to lead the weak and ignorant. He has a style that is true to himself. People don't follow because of a false bravado but follow because they know he's good at what he does and good in his intentions (that is people who work with him and know him, not the crazy fan minority that hate him or the pampered brat that tried to take him down but lost).