PDA

View Full Version : Official Draft Rumors Thread

Lurker64
04-20-2009, 12:33 PM
It's draft week, and draft week is a time of wild speculation and baseless rumor.

To start it off, I thought This was interesting (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2009/04/first-round-tips-from-gil-bran.html). It's a compilation of convictions that (scouting pioneer) Gil Brandt holds about the draft.

The highlights:

• LSU DE Tyson Jackson will go in the Top 5. Not might. Will. This qualified as the biggest shocker, to me, since almost every mock draft I looked at pegged Jackson to be a mid- to late first-rounder at best. I thought the Top 5 was pretty locked in, too. But, of course, I shouldn’t have doubted Mr. Brandt. I asked around after the show to see if I could confirm it, and sure enough one NFL source I know did tell me he’s heard the Kansas City Chiefs might take Jackson at No. 3, or trade down and take him a few picks later.

• The Seattle Seahawks, at No. 4, will likely select either Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree or USC QB Mark Sanchez.

• Crabtree will fall somewhere between Picks 4 and 10, though given the variables it was impossible to guess exactly where.

• The Oakland Raiders will take a receiver at No. 7 (and it’s hard to imagine them passing on Crabtree if he’s available, so I suppose we can narrow down Crabtree’s placement to 4-7).

• There will be no defensive backs taken in the Top 10.

• The Saints, at No. 14, are looking for a big cornerback, and Ohio State’s Malcolm Jenkins is a good bet to be their guy.

• The New England Patriots, at No. 23 will take a linebacker.

• Oklahoma T Phil Loadholt (6-7, 332) will go in the first round of the draft. His teammate, G Duke Robinson (6-5, 330, and the top-rated guard on most boards), will not.

• Cincinnati DE Connor Barwin didn’t begin this process as a first-rounder, but he has managed to sneak himself into the bottom of the first round.

• The Buffalo Bills are targeting a DE with the 11th pick (and not Tennessee DE Robert Ayers, by the way). They are also pretty high on Oklahoma State TE Brandon Pettigrew, but aren’t likely to take him unless they trade down a few spots. (Important note: Things have obviously changed a little since then, since the Bills acquired a second first-round pick from Philadelphia in the Jason Peters trade. Now the Bills have both the 11th and 28th pick. Of course, they also have an obvious need for a tackle).

DonHutson
04-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks for digging that up, Lurker. Would've never found that.

And it's great to see Ralph Vacchiano is doing something useful now that his 'Karate Kid' days are behind him... oh, wait... nevermind.

As for the content, Tyson Jackson as a top 5 pick? I didn't realize one dimensional run stuffers had become so valuable. But I guess it's more an issue of supply and demand. College football simply does not produce DE's like him anymore. I suppose the spread offense has made the giant end obsolete at the college level.

The college spread offense is starting to really impact the NFL. In this draft season I've already read/heard about the spread making it nearly impossible to analyze QB's, WR's, and OL who come from such systems. You're also seeing fewer and fewer big DE's in the past five years or so. You get the 240# guys that are too small for an NFL end, but they haven't had to cover anybody in college so they have a steep learning curve at LB as well.

There has always been some discrepency between some of the playbook du jour offenses in college and the NFL, but it seems like that discrepency is wider now than its ever been. That makes it harder and harder to project who can play in the NFL, but meantime the money these rookies demand keeps going up, up, up.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind at all if this means that Curry or one of the better tackles gets pushed down.

Maxie the Taxi
04-20-2009, 04:02 PM
I just heard a few minutes ago on Sporting News radio that all the rumors about BJ Raji flunking his drug test at the combine are bogus. In fact, they said not 25 but only about 10 actually had drug test problems. So maybe all the drug test rumors about some top guys should be ignored.

PlantPage55
04-20-2009, 04:10 PM
I just heard a few minutes ago on Sporting News radio that all the rumors about BJ Raji flunking his drug test at the combine are bogus. In fact, they said not 25 but only about 10 actually had drug test problems. So maybe all the drug test rumors about some top guys should be ignored.

I thought this was resolved a couple weeks ago...?

Maxie the Taxi
04-20-2009, 04:13 PM
I didn't hear it til now. Maybe I'm behind the curve.

PlantPage55
04-20-2009, 04:15 PM
I didn't hear it til now. Maybe I'm behind the curve.

Well, now that you mention it, the "official" article came out today, but I think a doctor a couple weeks back told the media that none of the "big guys" failed their tests. But you're right, the results were just now "officially" released.

Joemailman
04-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Some interesting stuff from National Football Post.http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/04/draft-09-trades-rumors-sliders/

Fritz
04-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Waldo, one of our resident experts, says we ought to put a lot of stock into what Gil Brandt and Kirwan say...Kirwan has the Pack taking Jackson, and Brandt has him going to the Chiefs at three or trading down with maybe Washington to try to nab Jackson there...

The key for a GM is not to fall in love with one player, unless you've got the first pick overall. You have to identify three or four guys you'd be happy with at your spot - that way you don't panic. If you have to have a certain guy, and the rumors are flying that someone ahead of you will take him, you end up selling out your draft to get the "have to have" guy. And who knows, really, how any rookie will work out?

Maxie the Taxi
04-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Here's a hot rumor that's guaranteed to come true!

I just purchased the Pro Football Draft Guide 2009.

The editor-in-chief, Scott Gramling, says the best wide receiver sleeper in the draft is Jordy Nelson, Kansas State!

Joemailman
04-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Wasn't it Kirwan who predicted, or at least suggested that TT might go for Harrell when almost no one else saw it coming? Speaking of Harrell, he's still rehabilitating the back and not working out with teammates. That just makes a pick of jackson all the more logical. Here's Kirwan's latest mock:http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80fbe661&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

He has the Pack taking Jackson, and like a bunch of people, has TT taking Barwin in the 2nd.

Lurker64
04-20-2009, 05:00 PM

The editor-in-chief, Scott Gramling, says the best wide receiver sleeper in the draft is Jordy Nelson, Kansas State!

I know we're stocked at WR, but I sure hope we get that guy. He'd look good in Green and Gold.

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Houston+Texans+v+Green+Bay+Packers+rd8KYCt_CQ5l.jp g

Waldo
04-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Wasn't it Kirwan who predicted, or at least suggested that TT might go for Harrell when almost no one else saw it coming? Speaking of Harrell, he's still rehabilitating the back and not working out with teammates. That just makes a pick of jackson all the more logical. Here's Kirwan's latest mock:http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80fbe661&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

He has the Pack taking Jackson, and like a bunch of people, has TT taking Barwin in the 2nd.

It's that whole "Packer people" thing with Barwin. Kid just seems to ooze Green and Gold. High character, hard working, versatile, that is MM and TT's kind of guy.

Fritz
04-20-2009, 05:39 PM

I know we're stocked at WR, but I sure hope we get that guy. He'd look good in Green and Gold.

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Houston+Texans+v+Green+Bay+Packers+rd8KYCt_CQ5l.jp g

You have some mad photoshop skills, Lurk.

CaliforniaCheez
04-20-2009, 06:34 PM
The key for a GM is not to fall in love with one player, unless you've got the first pick overall. You have to identify three or four guys you'd be happy with at your spot - that way you don't panic. If you have to have a certain guy, and the rumors are flying that someone ahead of you will take him, you end up selling out your draft to get the "have to have" guy. And who knows, really, how any rookie will work out?

Sherman.

RashanGary
04-20-2009, 07:46 PM

Sherman.

Shermhead.

RashanGary
04-20-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm on the Raji/Oher band wagon. I think a trade down would be nice too. I'd take a later 1st this year 13-20 and a 1st next year or a later first this year 13-20 and a 2nd and third next year. Something like that would work for me

LL2
04-20-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm on the Raji/Oher band wagon. I think a trade down would be nice too. I'd take a later 1st this year 13-20 and a 1st next year or a later first this year 13-20 and a 2nd and third next year. Something like that would work for me

If Denver wants to trade their 1st and 2nd to move up to get a QB...say Sanchez is still sitting there...to keep him away from the 49ers I'd tell TT to do it. It will never happen.

jmbarnes101
04-20-2009, 11:34 PM
I'd love to see us get Tyson Jackson, B.J. Raji or Aaron Curry if he happened to fall with my next choices being 1 of the 3 OT's not named A. Smith.

SnakeLH2006
04-21-2009, 02:55 AM
It's draft week, and draft week is a time of wild speculation and baseless rumor.

To start it off, I thought This was interesting (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2009/04/first-round-tips-from-gil-bran.html). It's a compilation of convictions that (scouting pioneer) Gil Brandt holds about the draft.

The highlights:

• LSU DE Tyson Jackson will go in the Top 5. Not might. Will. This qualified as the biggest shocker, to me, since almost every mock draft I looked at pegged Jackson to be a mid- to late first-rounder at best. I thought the Top 5 was pretty locked in, too. But, of course, I shouldn’t have doubted Mr. Brandt. I asked around after the show to see if I could confirm it, and sure enough one NFL source I know did tell me he’s heard the Kansas City Chiefs might take Jackson at No. 3, or trade down and take him a few picks later.

• The Seattle Seahawks, at No. 4, will likely select either Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree or USC QB Mark Sanchez.

• Crabtree will fall somewhere between Picks 4 and 10, though given the variables it was impossible to guess exactly where.

• The Oakland Raiders will take a receiver at No. 7 (and it’s hard to imagine them passing on Crabtree if he’s available, so I suppose we can narrow down Crabtree’s placement to 4-7).

• The Saints, at No. 14, are looking for a big cornerback, and Ohio State’s Malcolm Jenkins is a good bet to be their guy.

• Oklahoma T Phil Loadholt (6-7, 332) will go in the first round of the draft. His teammate, G Duke Robinson (6-5, 330, and the top-rated guard on most boards), will not.

• Cincinnati DE Connor Barwin didn’t begin this process as a first-rounder, but he has managed to sneak himself into the bottom of the first round.

• The Buffalo Bills are targeting a DE with the 11th pick (and not Tennessee DE Robert Ayers, by the way). They are also pretty high on Oklahoma State TE Brandon Pettigrew, but aren’t likely to take him unless they trade down a few spots. (Important note: Things have obviously changed a little since then, since the Bills acquired a second first-round pick from Philadelphia in the Jason Peters trade. Now the Bills have both the 11th and 28th pick. Of course, they also have an obvious need for a tackle).

Good Post Lurker.

4 things stand out for Snake:

1) When "isn't" Oakland enamored and getting hosed with a WR (whether it's draft/trade/FA?)
2) No DB's in top 10. Jenkins is a B.U.S.T. I'm sorry for the team that takes him high.
3) Why does NE need another LB?
4) What's up with the TE Pettigrew? Why do peeps think he's so good to waste at top 15 pick on for a TE? Bubba, Olsen, Niner's Phenom?? Stop the waste, and ban TE's to the 3rd round for the sake of competent NFL football. 8-)

SnakeLH2006
04-21-2009, 02:58 AM

The highlights:

Good Post Lurker. Nice to know that some teams other than GB will be hurt this year through the draft, though, lol.

4 things stand out for Snake:

1) When "isn't" Oakland enamored and getting hosed with a WR (whether it's draft/trade/FA?) Al Davis is a joke.
2) No DB's in top 10! Jenkins is a clear B.U.S.T. I'm sorry for the team that takes him that high.
3) Why does NE need another LB? Oh well.
4) What's up with the TE Pettigrew? Why do peeps think he's so good to waste a top 15 pick for a TE? Bubba, Olsen, Niner's Phenom?? Stop the waste, stop the MADNESS!!! and ban TE's to the 3rd round for the sake of competent NFL football. 8-)

ND72
04-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Just heard this on the Madison ESPN station....rumor of a Aaron Kampman for Julius Peppers...there would be some picks involved as well, but I :shock: when I heard it.

HarveyWallbangers
04-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Just heard this on the Madison ESPN station....rumor of a Aaron Kampman for Julius Peppers...there would be some picks involved as well, but I :shock: when I heard it.

Is this the Chmura rumor that people have posted on JSO? I don't buy it. It sounded more like complete speculation by Chmura... who I don't think has many connections in the Packers organization anymore.

DonHutson
04-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Clayton was on Mike and Mike yesterday morning saying he had heard absolutely nothing about Peppers going anywhere, and Peppers should get used to the idea of being franchised and get on with his life.

Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but Clayton seems to be tuned in better than most.

swede
04-22-2009, 11:37 AM
DP

swede
04-22-2009, 11:38 AM

Is this the Chmura rumor that people have posted on JSO? I don't buy it. It sounded more like complete speculation by Chmura... who I don't think has many connections in the Packers organization anymore.

He also has very few remaining connections to Catholic Girls's Schools.

Freak Out
04-22-2009, 11:38 AM
He also has very few remaining in the Catholic Girls' Schools.

"catholic girls..in a little white dress...catholic girls..they never confess..."

rbaloha1
04-22-2009, 11:41 AM

Yahoo! Get it done TT. Realize its the Pro Bowl but Peppers was dropping back into pass coverage and looked impressive.

Wants to play olb and is a much better fit than Kampman.

pittstang5
04-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Kampman for Peppers? Two unknowns in the 3-4? I'm guessing the Packers would have to give up some draft picks in order to make this trade "even." Not sure I'd be willing to do that.

Straight up? I don't know either....I like Kampman too much to let him go, but that's the fan in me.

swede
04-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Kampman for Peppers doesn't make sense, does it?

This rumor makes me wonder what the process is for getting really stupid rumors started.

In fact, we at Packerrats should attempt to earn our own fifteen minutes of fame by starting a juicy draft rumor. We could then post it on other blogs, then cite those other blogs as solid sources, and then we could watch to see if see if the rumor begins to pop up in national media.

What are some possibilities?

Kampman and picks for Peppers before the draft? Oh yeah, that one is taken.

pbmax
04-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Not a rumor but a prediction I wanted to get in front of the draft hordes :lol:

Mike Mayock was on Dan Patrick today and said the best defensive player available is Robert Ayers of Tennessee. He said a creative D coordinator will get this guy to the Pro Bowl inside three seasons. Ayers waited until he was a senior to break out into nearly a complete package apparently, and so he doesn't look like a top ten pick for this draft.

I bring this up only because I remember Mayock loved Matt Ryan and predicted Jared Mayo would be a stud right away. Of course, these guys can have hits and misses every year and we will remember only what we want, but thought it was notable as he might be of interest (and available) to the Packers and their hopefully creative D coordinator.

Anybody up for a Predict The First Round Contest this year?

sheepshead
04-22-2009, 05:53 PM
We might see teams trade down for nothing and we might be one of them. In a way, I hope the draft goes like that with teams jumping ship on these guys. Maybe the league and union will wake up.

Partial
04-22-2009, 05:59 PM

Yes.

Bretsky
04-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Buddy told me of a rumored deal of the Jets trading up to the Jags spot of Mark Sanchez is there. It'd be a 1st, 2nd, and 4th to move up.

I'd jump for joy at that deal.

That would be flat out funny too !

We'd have the Jets 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round pick :lol:

Joemailman
04-22-2009, 07:04 PM
We might see teams trade down for nothing and we might be one of them. In a way, I hope the draft goes like that with teams jumping ship on these guys. Maybe the league and union will wake up.

Um...no.

Lurker64
04-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Buddy told me of a rumored deal of the Jets trading up to the Jags spot of Mark Sanchez is there. It'd be a 1st, 2nd, and 4th to move up.

I've been hoping this would happen since the season ended.

packers11
04-22-2009, 07:16 PM
NFL Network's Steve Wyche reports that there is "chatter" the Jets would try to swing a trade for Jason Campbell on draft day if the Redskins move up to draft Matthew Stafford.

This is pretty much setting the stage for a potential three-team swap. The Skins are already short on picks and would likely have to dip into their 2010 draft class to move up the board. It could potentially also mean throwing Sanchez into the fire, which sounds foolish after only 16 college starts.

Dan Synder is an idiot... He barley has any picks left in this draft and is still looking to trade away most of next year's draft to move up...

Zool
04-23-2009, 08:52 AM
I thought the Skins were in love with Sanchez?

ND72
04-23-2009, 10:57 AM

that is the exact trade I'm hoping to happen for Green Bay!

Although on sportscenter a little while ago they reported that the "latest" talk is of the Redskins trading their 1st round, and somethign else for the #4 pick...then trading Jason Campbell to get back the picks they sent to Seattle. From there Brady Quinn is also expected to be moved. If all that happens, expect Jason Campbell & Brady quinn to be in either a Jets, Buccaneers, Vikings, or 49ers uniforms next year.

pbmax
04-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Is it the 49ers or Bills that teams want to get in front of?

PFT is repeating Sal Pal and the ESPN stuff.
Several teams are involved — the Seahawks, Browns, Redskins, and Jets, for starters.

One scenario involves the Redskins moving from No. 12 to No. 4 (a spot held by Seattle), drafting Sanchez, and then trading Jason Campbell to the Vikings, Bucs, or Jets.

The Browns also are supposedly interested in taking Sanchez at No. 5 and trading Brady Quinn, to the Bucs or the Jets.

Per Paolantonio, the Jets are the team most interested in Quinn. But the Jets also are inclined to try to beat the ‘Skins to Sanchez.

If Sanchez is on the board after pick No. 5, we’ve been told that the action is likely at No. 8, with the Jags trading down with the Redskins or the Jets.

red
04-23-2009, 11:26 AM
i don't see us being able to trade down

i saw yesterday that the gm of the 49ers said that 7 teams have already called him and told him they want to trade down to #10

so almost everyone ahead of us also wants to trade down, who the hell would want to trade up?

its gonna be a fire sale on top 10 picks come saturday, will there be enough buyers?

rbaloha1
04-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Not a rumor but a prediction I wanted to get in front of the draft hordes :lol:

Mike Mayock was on Dan Patrick today and said the best defensive player available is Robert Ayers of Tennessee. He said a creative D coordinator will get this guy to the Pro Bowl inside three seasons. Ayers waited until he was a senior to break out into nearly a complete package apparently, and so he doesn't look like a top ten pick for this draft.

I bring this up only because I remember Mayock loved Matt Ryan and predicted Jared Mayo would be a stud right away. Of course, these guys can have hits and misses every year and we will remember only what we want, but thought it was notable as he might be of interest (and available) to the Packers and their hopefully creative D coordinator.

Heard the same segment. The Packers media reported the Packer's interest --maybe due to Mr. Tennessee, Reggie McKenzie.

Shall not be surprised if this is the pick.

packers11
04-23-2009, 09:28 PM
www.rotoworld.com

The Bills are trying to trade up ahead of the Bengals at No. 6 to select Alabama OT Andre Smith, according to Scout.com.

The Bills are desperate for a bookend tackle after the Jason Peters trade, and the extra first-round pick will allow them to be aggressive in pursuit of their target. Smith's value appears to have fully rebounded despite a trainwreck offseason.

SI's Peter King believes Ole Miss OT Michael Oher is one of four players that teams want to trade up for in the draft.

The other three are USC QB Mark Sanchez, LSU DE Tyson Jackson, and Oklahoma State TE Brandon Pettigrew. Oher could be the last elite left tackle available, which will leave him in high demand around picks 10-20.

Source: SI.com

Chiefs GM Scott Pioli reportedly intends to use the 2010 second-rounder acquired in the Tony Gonzalez trade as bait to acquire an extra pick or two this weekend.

The Chiefs figure to be one of the most active teams this weekend as they're also desperately trying to move out of the No. 3 spot. Pioli has a history of wheeling and dealing on draft day, and his current team has a lot more needs than his recent Pats editions.

Source: SportingNews.com

Lurker64
04-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Two sources on this one, and it's a weird one:

1 (http://kan.scout.com/2/859321.html)

The Falcons and Chiefs may not be done dealing. Per a league source, Pioli and fellow Atlanta GM Thomas Dimitroff (a former Patriots executive), may be looking to help each other out. Based on rumblings we're hearing from WFSM in Atlanta, the Chiefs and Falcons may still be working on a deal that could send defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey to Atlanta for the 24th overall and 90th overall selections.

2 (http://nflnr.com/2009/04/23/rumors-keep-flying-in-kc-dorsey-included-in-gonzalez-deal/)

For the time being, feel free to put this one down as pure speculation, but Fox Sports Radio has been discussing a bit of news they’ve heard that indicates that the Chiefs have traded DT Glenn Dorsey to the Falcons along with TE Tony Gonzalez. (H/T to Adam Best at Arrowhead Addict)

Obviously that move would necessitate a return of at least the Falcons 1st round pick plus a mid rounder this year, given the fact that Dorsey was a top five pick last season, but overall it would make some sense from the perspective of both teams. The Chiefs would get another first rounder to work with, the second round pick next year, and a mid-round selection to boot. Atlanta gets a future Hall of Fame tight end and a run stuffing DT to fill a major need on their defensive line.

That's really going to shake up the top of the draft if true. I suppose it would indicate that KC is convinced Dorsey is not very useful in the 3-4 (reasonable, with his height he'd have to be an NT) and that they're switching to the 3-4 full time. So with the gaping hole on the DL, would they take Raji or Jackson at #3, or try to shore up the gaping hole on the DL?

Partial
04-23-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm surprised by that. Last year I was hearing how Dorsey was a prototype 3-4 end with his quickness and size.

Lurker64
04-23-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm surprised by that. Last year I was hearing how Dorsey was a prototype 3-4 end with his quickness and size.

I don't believe I heard anything of the sort bandied about Glen Dorsey, and I pay close attention to these things. At 6'2" without freakishly long arms, you have no shot at playing 5-technique effectively. Long arms are basically the most important physical characteristic for 3-4 DEs.

In the 3-4, Dorsey would have to play Nose and I doubt his ability to 2-gap consistently, but I'm not actually sure what KC is doing on defense. They're throwing up a hell of a smokescreen, I don't think anybody is sure.

Partial
04-23-2009, 11:03 PM
You worry way too much about height. No chance? Since when? Do you have any evidence of that?

red
04-23-2009, 11:05 PM
alright, i'll play

kc would be insane to trade dorsey after one year

they gave him 22 million guaranteed just last year

they may not even have enough cap room to get rid of him right now. i don't know if all of that is signing bonus, but if it is, you're looking at a 18 million dollar cap hit if he's traded

packers11
04-24-2009, 11:13 AM
The Browns reportedly showed some interest in Ronnie Brown recently, but nothing materialized.

The only surprise is that Cleveland hasn't done more to upgrade over declining Jamal Lewis. Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post indicates that Brown-to-Cleveland is unlikely, but it does appear that Brown is on the block. Miami probably wants at least a third-round pick for the tailback.

Source: National Football Post

a 3rd round pick? Thats it... Hes only 27... He has 3-4 years left in him...

packers11
04-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Al Davis shaking up the top 10?!

The Raiders are "locked in" on Maryland WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, according to the National Football Post.

Heyward-Bey passes Al Davis' speed test, Oakland is desperate for a vertical threat in the passing game, and he's going to be there at No. 7 overall. Ideally the Raiders would trade back a few spots and still land DHB, but Davis may not want to take that risk. Davis also has no history of trading down.

Source: National Football Post

packers11
04-24-2009, 11:22 AM
The Broncos have reportedly begun discussing ways to trade up for USC QB Mark Sanchez.

Sanchez must have impressed GM Brian Xanders and offensive coordinator Mike McCoy Tuesday in Los Angeles. The Broncos also have dire needs on defense, so they may not be willing to top the Sanchez competition with the Jets and Redskins also interested.

Source: Denver Post

sheepshead
04-24-2009, 11:46 AM
By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel
Apr. 24, 2009 11:12 a.m.

Ted Thompson may have found his trading partner.

Sports Illustrated's Peter King is reporting the New England Patriots are attempting to trade into the top 10 in order to likely pick LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson.

Hope we get out! Nothing would make me happier.

packers11
04-24-2009, 11:49 AM

Sports Illustrated's Peter King is reporting the New England Patriots are attempting to trade into the top 10 in order to likely pick LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson.

The Patriots are trying to move into the Top-10 of the draft, according to SI's Peter King.

The Pats are believed to have offered their first-round pick and the middle of their three second-round picks for the Jags No. 8 overall pick, but

Jacksonville turned it down. King does not believe the Pats are after Tyson Jackson despite his obvious fit as a 3-4 defensive end. The Pats' target is said to be a "surprise." Apr. 24 - 12:29 pm et

Fritz
04-24-2009, 12:20 PM
First, the Glenn Dorsey rumor appears ridiculous. You don't trade a second year guy who had a nice first year at a position that is all but impossible to fill.

I'm hoping the Al Davis rumor is true - if one or two surprise picks occur in that top eight, that would leave the Packers in a position to either take Jackson or Raji, or trade down (if Sanchez is there at #9) and get some extra picks.

pbmax
04-24-2009, 12:31 PM
alright, i'll play

kc would be insane to trade dorsey after one year

they gave him 22 million guaranteed just last year

they may not even have enough cap room to get rid of him right now. i don't know if all of that is signing bonus, but if it is, you're looking at a 18 million dollar cap hit if he's traded
Big money, top half of the first round contacts rarely have much of a signing bonus in them anymore. It has to do with keeping the cap number low to fit the rookie cap pool but also making it possible to accelerate the salary in larger chunks when you are constrained by max 20% increases. It probably a tradeable contract. And remember, not all reported guaranteed money is truly guaranteed. A good chunk of it could be roster or option bonuses, or guarantees against injury.

pbmax
04-24-2009, 12:33 PM

Bedard's article on this is beyond the pale. Why would the Patriots trade with the Packers if they were both chasing the same player? One or the other doesn't want Jackson and Bedard cannot wrap his head around that.

Waldo
04-24-2009, 12:35 PM

Bedard's article on this is beyond the pale. Why would the Patriots trade with the Packers if they were both chasing the same player? One or the other doesn't want Jackson and Bedard cannot wrap his head around that.

Bedard isn't very smart. He doesn't know all that much about football either.

Jason Taylor hates him.

mraynrand
04-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Bedard isn't very smart. He doesn't know all that much about football either.

4XQFT

Lurker64
04-24-2009, 12:49 PM
I think I'd give them #9 for #23 and #34. 34 is a really good pick to have this year.

TheCheese
04-24-2009, 12:55 PM

The Patriots are trying to move into the Top-10 of the draft, according to SI's Peter King.

The Pats are believed to have offered their first-round pick and the middle of their three second-round picks for the Jags No. 8 overall pick, but

Jacksonville turned it down. King does not believe the Pats are after Tyson Jackson despite his obvious fit as a 3-4 defensive end. The Pats' target is said to be a "surprise." Apr. 24 - 12:29 pm et

This would be so bad ass if we would do this. Perfect position to draft English or Barwin and pick up extra picks.

pbmax
04-24-2009, 12:59 PM
I think I'd give them #9 for #23 and #34. 34 is a really good pick to have this year.
The deal is fine, but the speculation is loony. The Packers make that trade if they think there is no difference in what is left at the end of the top ten versus bottom third of 1st round and top of the second. That means if Jackson is available, the Packers don't deem him worth the pick OR if he is gone, the Packers don't think much of what is left and the Patriots do.

The Packers wouldn't pull this off BEFORE their pick unless they are convinced Jackson and the lot are not worth it at 9, no matter which is left.

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Hmmm. . . . . Makes you wonder if there is a highly coveted 3-4 player that could go in our range.

Partial
04-24-2009, 01:09 PM

IMO, this draft is awful. You're getting a guy you'd typically get at 20 at 10. You're getting a guy you'd typically get at 60ish at 40.

This team has plenty of depth imo outside of the lines. What they need is a star.

I'm all for swinging for the fences. If TyJack is the best 3-4 end prospect since Seymour and can have an impact like Seymour, than you stand pat and draft him.. no questions asked.

If you think Orakpo is freakishly similiar to Sean Merriman, then you stand pat and draft him.

Unless they think Larry English or Connor Barwin are not a huge step down from the kind of guys you're getting at 10, then no way do you trade down imo. These opportunities to get top 10 picks should be few and far between (though if we keep trading down and don't accumulate another star to compliment Jennings -- admittedly a second round pick -- they will be more common).

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2009, 01:12 PM
I don't see the trade happening, but I think the point would be that they don't think Jackson is anywhere near Seymour or Orakpo is even close to Merriman. More than there aren't many studs and there's not a whole lot of difference between 9 and 23. I don't buy that the Pats are looking to move up--even before they know who is available.

Lurker64
04-24-2009, 01:13 PM
It's weird to think that the Patriots would be trying to trade up to the low top 10 at this point for Jackson, considering there's no guarantee that Jackson would get past Kansas City or Cleveland (there's been a lot of noise on the "Tyson Jackson is a lock in the top 5" issue recently). So if they weren't sure he was going to be there at eight (and they shouldn't be), they shouldn't be trying to make a trade now (unless it's a provisional "if player x is there, we'll give you picks A and B for that pick" offer, I don't know if teams do that sort of thing.)

So who else could they be after? Jenkins?

It's also possible that Peter King is just making stuff up or unwittingly disseminating misinformation.

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Lurker,

I think they would be happy with one of several and feel they could get one at that spot (they probably assume a few will be gone). I think the players are probably front 7 defensive players becuase that is what they badly need.

It makes me feel pretty good about our spot (knowing NE is a damn smart organization, runs the same defense, needs the same type of players and wants to be near our spot). Jacksonville runs a 4-3. They could let a damn fine 3-4 prospect drop in our laps. I'm getting a little juiced here.

I also think they like the chances of Sanchez dropping and maybe getting even better value out of the pick with a trade as an option C, D or E. They're pretty much trading up to be able to have options similar to ours. I like it. In the words of Loyd Christmas, "I like it a lot".

Lurker64
04-24-2009, 01:43 PM
There could also be a "New England has 11 picks in this draft. Eleven rookies aren't going to make the Patriots roster this year. Why not try to package some picks who aren't going to get you much value anyway in order to get a guy who has a higher shot at being an impact player" angle to this.

But then again, virtually everybody on the NE roster is a free agent next year.

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 01:43 PM
NE might also feel that they have a better chance of trading up now than tomorrow when a falling Sanchez could drive the price through the roof.

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Good point, Lurker, didn't think of that. They could part with the later picks to move up a couple of spots in the 2nd or 3rd instead of parting with a super valuable 2nd round pick.

I still think they think our spot is a good spot to be for a 3-4 defender or at the very least, a hell of a player.

Partial
04-24-2009, 05:43 PM
There could also be a "New England has 11 picks in this draft. Eleven rookies aren't going to make the Patriots roster this year. Why not try to package some picks who aren't going to get you much value anyway in order to get a guy who has a higher shot at being an impact player" angle to this.

But then again, virtually everybody on the NE roster is a free agent next year.

:D Do you think 9 draftees are going to make the Packers roster? If so, that's just turning over the bottom.