PDA

View Full Version : Raji and Jackson Lead Pack

Partial
04-21-2009, 11:11 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/43400397.html

BallHawk
04-21-2009, 11:30 PM
I don't think anybody here, at least, has ever not acknowledged Raji as the best DT in the draft. It's pretty obvious he is.

Now, I totally don't buy Jackson as the top DE. I'd take Orakpo over him in a heartbeat.

Lurker64
04-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Now, I totally don't buy Jackson as the top DE. I'd take Orakpo over him in a heartbeat.

Jackson is unquestionably the best 5-technique defensive end in the draft, while Orakpo is strictly an OLB in this system. The question is "which is going to help us more, an upgrade at DE or an upgrade at OLB." We already have one OLB who's a good enough player that we have to keep him on the field, but is probably going to be a liability in coverage in Kampman, I don't think we can really afford to have two on the field at once. Whoever starts at the other OLB spot this year is going to need to be able to cover, which is something Orakpo is suspect at, at best.

Since Jackson takes the place of Jolly or Harrell immediately and Orakpo may not take the place of anybody immediately, I would rather have Jackson. Remember, New England spent their first on Seymour in 2001, Ty Warren in 2003, and Vince Wilfork in 2004; winning the superbowl in each of those three years.

Fritz
04-22-2009, 07:17 AM
The consensus seems to be that there is more talent at the end of round one/beginning of two at the OLB spot (English, Sintim, Barwin, Mathews) but not much talent on the d-line after you get past Raji, Jackson, Jerry, and Ayers.

Thus, conventional wisdom suggests that if you're drafting for need, you get the big body first.

I know TT explained the draft board in his presser the other day. What I think would be difficult would be comparing players who rank similarly but play different positions. Is Michael Oher going to be a better offensive tackle than, say, Tyson Jackson will be a defensive end? Is Brian Orakpo going to be a better outside linebacker than Jeremy Maclin will be a wide receiver?

Those'd be tough calls.

PlantPage55
04-22-2009, 07:31 AM

Why aren't you looking at this from the position of a 3-4 team?

pittstang5
04-22-2009, 07:37 AM
The consensus seems to be that there is more talent at the end of round one/beginning of two at the OLB spot (English, Sintim, Barwin, Mathews) but not much talent on the d-line after you get past Raji, Jackson, Jerry, and Ayers.

Thus, conventional wisdom suggests that if you're drafting for need, you get the big body first.

Well said Fritz, that's why I think TT stays away from Orakpo, if he's still there and will take Oher, Raji or Jackson. Obviously, this all assuming Monroe, Smith and Curry are off the board and one of those three is available yet.

wist43
04-22-2009, 09:15 AM
I thought TT said he was looking for just depth...

Seriously, I doubt he takes a player that will step into the starting lineup... unless it is a RT.

Would much rather have Orakpo than Jackson, but I doubt TT has any interest in Orakpo... I doubt he has any interest in Raji either.

Oher, Jackson, or trade down... not what I want, but what I expect from TT.

Waldo
04-22-2009, 10:03 AM

I disagree about the DL, this class has many fine prospects, the OLB's die after about round 3, NT's and DE's go strong to the end.

Things to note - Capers has not really been a fan of giant NT's. When he was in Pit they had Joel Steed, who was in the 310-320 area. He likes the more athletic ones. 3-4 DE's are often overlooked, they are graded similar to 4-3 DE's, the guys well suited to 5 tech aren't usually stat giants in 4-3 defenses, they are too slow off the edge.

At NT (projected round):
Ron Brace (2) - I'm not a fan, he's big and slow and has had back problems
Dorrell Scott (2-3) - Athletic NT that occasionally loafs on the field. Good tech
Myron Pryor (3-5) - Raji lite, good pass rusher for a big man
Sammie Lee Hill (3-6) - Physically superior, huge man, raw
Roy Miller (3-6) - Experienced inside man, a little small, good athleticism, shows up in big games
Vaughn Martin (4-UDFA) - Most physically superior T in class, raw as can be
Terrence Taylor (4-6) - Strong but slow, a little undersized, but gianing weight is no problem for him
Chris Baker (4-UDFA) - Very good athlete, good size, terrible character
Terrance Knighton (5-UDFA) - Nice physical specimen, needs to hit the weights, raw
Antonio Dixon (6-UDFA) - Injury prone, but experienced inside, very good NT body and athleticism, motivation issues, could be the best in this class if you can turn on the motor
Marlon Favorite (6-UDFA) - Undersized but experienced inside, not a great athlete

At 3-4 DE:
Evander Hood (1-2) - High motor, fantastic athlete
Jarron Gilbert (2) - Superior athlete, very productive, great frame, raw
Alex Magee (2-3) - Underrated prospect, a little short, long arms, good athlete, experienced
Fili Moala (2-3) - Huge frame, experienced, a little slow
Everette Pedescleaux (3-6) - Most physically superior DE in this class, an athletic giant, raw
Kyle Moore (3-5) - A little light, perfect frame, experienced, good athlete
Will Johnson (4-6) - Absurd strength, big frame, experienced, not a great athelte
Pannel Egboh (4-7) - A little light, perfect frame, experienced in a 3-4, good athlete, smart
Nader Abdallah (5-7) - Big frame, not a great athlete, experienced, late bloomer
Khalif Mitchell (6-UDFA) - Ideal frame, not the greatest athlete, raw
Zach Potter (6-UDFA) - Giant frame, a little light, good athleticism
John Gill (5-UDFA) - Underrated prospect, a little short, good athlete, productive
Michael Bennett (6-UDFA) - Ideal frame, a little light, decent athlete, bad team