PDA

View Full Version : Combine Positive Drug Tests

Lurker64
04-22-2009, 12:58 AM
The recent report was that the positive tests at the combine totaled "less than ten", so that's "as many as 9" and "as few as zero". Well, we know that number is now at least two, as we have two confirmed positives.

Percy Harvin and Brandon Tate (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=4087941).

Harvin was previously a first round lock, whick Tate was probably about a 3rd round WR. How far do these guys fall? Smoking pot isn't really all that big a deal, but when you can't put it down long enough to pass a drug test that you know is coming, the results of which may cost you or make you millions of dollars, you have to admit that's really, really stupid.

Since we heard "less than ten" and not "less than five" there are probably at least 6 people who tested positive. Apparently Raji, Cushing, Matthews, and Vontae Davis were all in the clear, contrary to early reports.

Partial
04-22-2009, 01:09 AM
Harvin won't fall out of the first round. He's a good kid.

Lurker64
04-22-2009, 01:52 AM

Plenty of good people smoke pot, some of them do it a lot. Good people who fail drug tests during the season get suspended the same as bad people who fail drug tests during the season. Ricky Williams is a good guy, after all.

mission
04-22-2009, 02:37 AM
As if you don't know already, I love weed and happen to smoke a lot of it.

But I don't want any weed smokers on my team. At all, no exceptions.

Just like I don't want pilots blazin blunts, or firemen or anything else that may affect me. My football team is no different.

However, my job is to make music which has me conjure up dillusions of necessity through creativity. Wrong or right, no one polices my industry. There are no drug tests, my career is not directly harmed by these choices.

With everything a team invests into a player (besides money), there's no telling what "a little weed" can lead to in the future ... it's just too much of a red flag to ignore.

I'd never draft a guy who failed a combine test. Back in college? Fine... but I'm with Lurk 100%. You gotta be able to count on a guy no matter what when it matters... those players showed they couldn't do the right thing when it mattered most.

Fritz
04-22-2009, 12:06 PM
What about an offensive coordinator smoking weed? Maybe lead to some creative thinking?

swede
04-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Pfffffffft!

Let's call it...Pfffffffff...the Wildcat formation. :smk:

pbmax
04-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Mike Mayock was just on Dan Patrick today saying Harvin has more red flags than any other first day pick this year. And his flags go back to high school. He said the hottest debate right now for last year's playoff teams is whether to take a risk with either one of these boneheads who may have top ten talent, but Free Agent character (Mayock's words).

pbmax
04-22-2009, 05:07 PM
What about an offensive coordinator smoking weed? Maybe lead to some creative thinking?
That might lead to Sam Wyche.

PFT has been talking about a team personnel guy who told him half the roster of his team lights up. Makes me think of the end of M*A*S*H when most of the ringers on the bench for the opposition were smoking when they weren't out on the field.

Fritz
04-22-2009, 05:10 PM
You just said something that made the lights go on for me....now I understand Al Davis's strange draft ways - he's drafting kids who'll get him the best weed!