PDA

View Full Version : Philly contract madness...

packers11
04-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Eagles CB Sheldon Brown suggested that like him, DT Mike Patterson and DE Trent Cole could be upset with their contracts.

It's also been speculated that RG Shawn Andrews wants a new deal, but he's coming off a lost season and none of the above have gone public like Brown. "There are going to be more problems," Brown said. "I'm not the first guy and I'm not going to be the last guy (to request a new contract or trade.)"

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

They are in a big mess... Seems like every week someone from this team is asking for a trade / new contract... If I was the Eagles I wouldn't give on more cent out...

Lurker64
04-22-2009, 11:24 AM
I think the Eagles window will be closing in the next 2-3 years. They've been consistently good for a long time, and it's really hard to do that in the NFL. Kevin Kolb is nothing special, and McNabb doesn't have a ton left in him (He's only 32, but he's taken a lot of punishment).

I could see them in full on "we're rebuilding, but we're not telling you that we're rebuilding" mode 2 years from now.

Fritz
04-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Maybe Andy Reid is at the end of his coach-life in Philly.

SnakeLH2006
04-23-2009, 12:49 AM
Eagles CB Sheldon Brown suggested that like him, DT Mike Patterson and DE Trent Cole could be upset with their contracts.

It's also been speculated that RG Shawn Andrews wants a new deal, but he's coming off a lost season and none of the above have gone public like Brown. "There are going to be more problems," Brown said. "I'm not the first guy and I'm not going to be the last guy (to request a new contract or trade.)"

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

They are in a big mess... Seems like every week someone from this team is asking for a trade / new contract... If I was the Eagles I wouldn't give on more cent out...

Goes to show that getting your own guys to sign team-friendly deals works great in the short term, but longterm (the Eagles were arguably the first NFL team and best at since 2000 to sign so many of their young guys to deals like that) it potentially implodes, cuz they ALL look around at FA....and fire their agent, and bitch and moan. Mo money, mo problems.

Lurker64
04-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Goes to show that getting your own guys to sign team-friendly deals works great in the short term, but longterm (the Eagles were arguably the first NFL team and best at since 2000 to sign so many of their young guys to deals like that) it potentially implodes, cuz they ALL look around at FA....and fire their agent, and bitch and moan. Mo money, mo problems.

I think the Thompson method of doing things actually has a lot of merit. Sign your guys to a longterm team friendly deal, and regularly give a raise to anybody who deserves it. It creates a culture of "the team is going to take care of me if I produce." Philly is notoriously coldblooded about getting rid of people once they're no longer sufficiently inexpensive and young to keep around.

SnakeLH2006
04-23-2009, 02:27 AM

I think the Thompson method of doing things actually has a lot of merit. Sign your guys to a longterm team friendly deal, and regularly give a raise to anybody who deserves it. It creates a culture of "the team is going to take care of me if I produce." Philly is notoriously coldblooded about getting rid of people once they're no longer sufficiently inexpensive and young to keep around.

True and Snake agrees Lurker. It is a bit different with Ted....as the Eagles seem/been proven over the past few years to be cutthroat with deals. I do, for one, like how TT gave a new deal to Driver (old but not that bad of a deal.....) and esp. Al Harris (damn that guy is good, but was a whiny, cancerous bastard about his contract esp. being so old)... Glad he did it, esp. at a good "Packer" deal.

The prob. with the Eagles is they WON'T renegotiate and that is fine, but those young guys know they have better deals IF they were FA. The redone deals Ted did were for older guys to be fair and that is A-OK in Snake's book, but it reeks of contradiction for those young guys to whine and moan when THEY (and their agents) did those deals.

Can't wait to see what happens if (and HUGE if and HUGE doubt it) Ryan Grant goes for a monster year this year for ex. Fuck that guy anyway. Product of the system..can't wait to see if he's out the league or what in a year or 2 when TT cuts him. Not much talent there (waiting for Patler to arrive, lol). He's no Money Morency. :lol: :lol: :lol: