PDA

View Full Version : Stafford to Lions... Done Deal?

packers11
04-22-2009, 01:41 PM
NFL Draft Bible reports that the Lions will make Matthew Stafford the No. 1 pick overall and sign him to a deal worth $40 million guaranteed.

Source: NFL Draft Bible

pft.com

Report: Lions Near Deal With Stafford
Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 22, 2009, 2:40 p.m. EDT

University of Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford is on the verge of striking a deal with the Detroit Lions to become the top overall pick of the draft, according to Dave Birkett of the Oakland Press.

Per the unconfirmed report, Lions team president Tom Lewand, the team’s chief negotiator, has sought final approval from team owner William Clay Ford. A deal could reportedly be completed at some point today.

Citing a source, Birkett writes that it would require a “catastrophe” for the Lions to not land Stafford as the No. 1 overall pick of the draft.

We heard separately from a league source that Stafford was so confident that he would ultimately be the Lions’ guy that he has been telling former Georgia teammates that he’ll be the No. 1 pick and receive a deal with nearly $40 million in guaranteed money.

Waldo
04-22-2009, 01:43 PM
That site lost just a wee bit of credibility over the drug testing reports.

Why would an obscure draft site famous for spreading false rumors be the one that breaks the news of the #1 overall choice?

edit - Didn't see the PFT thing, that's definitely more credible

MadScientist
04-22-2009, 02:04 PM
How many millions per win will he pull in?

Zool
04-22-2009, 02:10 PM
How many millions per win will he pull in?

$10mil per win if you count the 1 this year and 3 next year.

Fritz
04-22-2009, 02:14 PM
I am a firm believer in the old-fashioned way of sitting a young QB for at least his first year, probably two. Rare is the Matt Ryan/Joe Flacco type. More QB's get ruined by being pitched into the fire than Carter's got liver pills.

Thus I ask: how many games into the season before Leos fans are clamoring for Stafford? How many losses before Wiliam Clay Ford lets it be known he'd like to see his 40 million dollar investment on the field? How many seasons before Stafford is a slinking, abject, blathering Joey Harrington?

It'll be a test of the new head coach's mettle, to see how long he can resist the calls.

Partial
04-22-2009, 02:19 PM
I've got to believe they'll sit him for a year if they draft him #1.

Lurker64
04-22-2009, 02:20 PM
According to another site I've never heard of, The Lions are denying this report (http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/04/lions_say_reports_of_imminent.html). This was also carried on PFT, same as the last one.

Freak Out
04-22-2009, 02:26 PM
If they draft the guy and he is under contract from the get go he will be the starter from day one unless injury holds him back.

cpk1994
04-22-2009, 02:28 PM
I've got to believe they'll sit him for a year if they draft him #1.And that is the perfect way to piss off the fans you have left. Try selling "sitting the #1 overall pck" to those fans. :roll:

Partial
04-22-2009, 02:29 PM
That didn't stop the Bengals from sitting Carson Palmer, the Bears from sitting Rex Grossman, the Falcons from sitting Michael Vick, the Giants from sitting Eli Manning, the Chargers from sitting Philip Rivers, etc.

I think he'll ride the pine to begin his career.

CaliforniaCheez
04-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Whatever the Lions do, I would like to see them get the guy signed before Saturday.

cpk1994
04-22-2009, 02:57 PM
That didn't stop the Bengals from sitting Carson Palmer, the Bears from sitting Rex Grossman, the Falcons from sitting Michael Vick, the Giants from sitting Eli Manning, the Chargers from sitting Philip Rivers, etc.

I think he'll ride the pine to begin his career.But those teams had servicible QB's already on the roster. The Lions have nothing but shit. Big difference. YOu actually think that Lions fans would be fine with Dan Orlovsky as their starter while their #1 pick sits? Stafford will be the starter year 1. Lion management will demand it from the coaches.

PlantPage55
04-22-2009, 03:02 PM
I've got to believe they'll sit him for a year if they draft him #1.And that is the perfect way to piss off the fans you have left. Try selling "sitting the #1 overall pck" to those fans. :roll:

If there's one thing I know for sure, it's that fans (even a majority of fans) have NO idea what is best for a team.

Partial
04-22-2009, 03:29 PM

I think he'll ride the pine to begin his career.But those teams had servicible QB's already on the roster. The Lions have nothing but shit. Big difference. YOu actually think that Lions fans would be fine with Dan Orlovsky as their starter while their #1 pick sits? Stafford will be the starter year 1. Lion management will demand it from the coaches.

Serviceable?

The Lions have a 2nd round pick from Michigan State who's name escapes me at the moment. They also have Daunte Culpepper.

Atlanta had an ancient Chris Chandler ahead of Vick.

Cinci had a good Jon Kitna at the time. He was in MVP conversations midseason.

Chicago had Kordell Stewart and an even older Chris Chandler ahead of Grossman.

The Giants and Chargers both had good started in Kurt Warner and Drew Brees.

I really don't think he'll start from Day #1 unless they get a good left tackle and improve the line around him. I don't know why you're stating this as fact, as their is no way of knowing until they make an announcement.

Bossman641
04-22-2009, 03:34 PM

Serviceable?

The Lions have a 2nd round pick from Michigan State who's name escapes me at the moment. They also have Daunte Culpepper.

I really don't think he'll start from Day #1 unless they get a good left tackle and improve the line around him. I don't know why you're stating this as fact, as their is no way of knowing until they make an announcement.

Drew Stanton

Joemailman
04-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Stafford will be sitting in September, but he'll be starting in November.

MadScientist
04-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Stafford will be sitting in September, but he'll be starting in November.
I'd guess about the same. He should sit for the whole year, but the pressure to put him in will be too high. The only exceptions are if the line is so poor they'd risk his career by putting him in, or the Lions some how rocket all the way up to mediocrity.

cpk1994
04-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Serviceable?

I really don't think he'll start from Day #1 unless they get a good left tackle and improve the line around him. I don't know why you're stating this as fact, as their is no way of knowing until they make an announcement.YOou make my point exactly. Drew Stanton and Culfumble? Pure crap.

I never said he would start day 1. I siad he would become the starter in his first year becuase managment will force the coaches hand. . He will not sit out the enitre first year. Not going to happen.

Fritz
04-22-2009, 05:12 PM

CPK, the Lions would be stupid to play Stafford from the get-go. No one I'm hearing is saying Stafford is near ready for anything but the bench, at least for a year.

Besides, it wouldn't be Orlovsky - he's with the Texans. It'd be Daunte Culpepper.

cpk1994
04-22-2009, 09:49 PM

CPK, the Lions would be stupid to play Stafford from the get-go. No one I'm hearing is saying Stafford is near ready for anything but the bench, at least for a year.

Besides, it wouldn't be Orlovsky - he's with the Texans. It'd be Daunte Culpepper.But this is the Lions, and WIlliam Clay Ford we are talking about. Stafford will be made the starter at one point during year 1 because that man will demand it no matter how stupid it is. After all, look how long it took him to finally fire Matt Millen.

Partial
04-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Was Matt Ryan originally penciled in as a starter? I know the other one wasn't, and then Troy Smith got really sick, right?

SnakeLH2006
04-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Stafford for teh win, eh? Ughh.. He may turn out great, just not with Detroit. They got a slew of QB's and the scouting book on Staffords nails his greatest weakness (facing pressure). If he plays, he better call David Carr for support, cuz God and Snake both know that shaky O-Line ain't gonna save his ass. Poor guy...Stafford. :cry:

Gunakor
04-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Done deal. Confirmed. 41.7 million dollars guaranteed!

mission
04-25-2009, 03:26 AM
*Obviously* Stafford will start at some point this season. Going off a 0-16 season, unless Culpepper looks like a HOFer, there's no way the pressure doesn't come to play the 1st round pick. All it takes is a 3 INT game by the starter... and it will happen sooner than later.

EDIT - forget "first round pick" ... #1 pick more like it!

Tony Oday
04-25-2009, 11:30 AM
What a waste of 70+ million...this guy will be out a career backup after the Lions get done with him...I guess they couldn't trade down and pick up a slew of picks to help rebuild that terrible team.

The Lions will be hamstrung by this contract for a long time.

oregonpackfan
04-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I am a firm believer in the old-fashioned way of sitting a young QB for at least his first year, probably two. Rare is the Matt Ryan/Joe Flacco type. More QB's get ruined by being pitched into the fire than Carter's got liver pills.

Fritz makes a strong point. Just look at the long list of promising young college quarterbacks who were brought in to start for bad teams only to have their careers stunted--Tim Couch, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Akili Smith...

Starting Stafford, even in the middle of the season, does not bode well for the development of his career.

Carolina_Packer
04-25-2009, 02:09 PM

I think the situation you describe is pick your poison. If you feel the pressure to start him right away and he gets destroyed because the O-line can't protect him, or if he struggles in his own right to make the right reads, etc., then the fans will clamour bust. If they sit him behind Culpepper (assuming he wins the starting job), then some of that pressue gets removed and he can ease his way in. You can always try that more conservative approach and see if Culpepper has anything and then insert Stafford if need be.