PDA

View Full Version : PI- 20 THINGS PACKERS DON'T NEED

Bretsky
07-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Here are 20 things the Packers don't need
Posted: July 12, 2006

Bud Lea

After finishing with their worst record since 1991, the Green Bay Packers are feeling the pressure to dramatically improve as the new season begins, to prove that they are better than a 4-12 last-place finish suggests.

On paper, they don't look much different than last year's team. Maybe they can rebound and be competitive again. Maybe they can't.

One thing for sure: Here are 20 things they don't need.

1. Brett Favre's streak ends. Mr. Durability faces his toughest opponent in the first game. The Chicago Bears have put a bounty on No. 4. In last year's game at Soldier Field, Favre was hit more than a half-dozen times, sacked twice, intercepted twice, forced to fumble three times. "Oh man, he took a lot of good hits," Bears safety Mike Brown said. "He's going to be sore tomorrow, I guarantee you. But he'll start again next week." The Bears hope to finish him off when the teams meet in Lambeau Field Sept. 10. Without Favre, the Packers will be lucky to win three games.

2. Al Harris holds out. The Packers veteran safety did not attend any of the team's organized workouts because he is unhappy with his contract, and he has indicated he also will be a training camp no-show. It will be considerably easier for the Packers to win with Harris than without him. This could be a distraction that a team on a turn-around mission doesn't need.

Brett Favre got a face full of safety Mike Brown and the Bears during a 19-7 loss last season.

3. Ted Thompson keeps 12 draft picks. Last year he kept 11. If the trend continues, the Packers will become a team comprised of first- or second-year players, and it doesn't help Favre. Once Favre was surrounded with experienced teammates and he could make risky throws. Now, his margin of error has regressed to zero if these young players don't improve.

4. Brad Childress out-coaches Mike McCarthy. The Packers wanted to talk to Childress about the head coaching job, but he skipped an interview in Green Bay to high-tail to Minnesota and take the Vikings' offer. He figured the future looked much better with the Vikings than with the Packers. If the Vikings handle the Packers this season like they did last year, Childress will know he made the right decision.

5. A slow start. This could start the head-scratching among the players and threaten McCarthy's ability to convince them his way works. The schedule is no help, opening with the Bears and the rebuilt New Orleans Saints at home and going on the road against the Lions and Eagles. While Green Bay could be an improved team, many questions and potential pitfalls remain in its path.

6. Ahman Green's comeback fails. Coming back from a serious leg injury, the team's workhorse running back could be on his last legs. If this is the case, the Packers really have no one to pick up the slack. They got pretty decent production out of free agent Samkon Gado last year, but they'll be lucky to get another, while Najeh Davenport tries his best to stay healthy.

7. Only one big-time receiver. If the team can't develop another wide receiver, Donald Driver will have to carry the load again. Driver has great body control and can make the acrobatic catch, but he's not a dangerous deep threat. And without complementary receivers, this is an offense that is going to have trouble scoring points.

8. Offensive line fails to jell. This was the case last season as the team couldn't find replacements for departed guards Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera. Both free agent Adrian Klemm and draftee Will Whitticker turned out to be flops. Now rookies Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz enter training camp as the Packers' starting guards and with them, plus a new center, comes the infamous look-out block. "Look out, Brett, here they come!"

9. Inexperienced coaching shows. Not only is McCarthy a first-time head coach, but his coordinators, Jeff Jagodzinski on offense and Bob Sanders on defense are sitting in those chairs for the first time in their NFL careers.

10. Bubba Franks is maxed out. Entering his seventh year at Green Bay, the veteran tight end is coming off his worst season as a pro. More and more, Franks looks like a guy who had one dream year (2002 with 54 receptions and seven touchdowns) and is running out of gas.

11. Charles Woodson doesn't live up to expectations. The former Oakland Raiders cornerback suffered a season-ending broken right leg in the sixth game last year. Do you really think Al Davis would let a No. 1 draft choice go if he thought he could still play?

12. Favre self-destructs again. Quarterbacks in the West Coast offense should be throwing for high percentages and he didn't with a career-high 29 interceptions. Now the future Hall of Famer, who will turn 37 in October, must prove he can handle the job, show that he still has the magic in his arm.

13. Another career-ending injury. Injuries are part of football, but when rookie Terrence Murphy returned a kickoff against Carolina in the fourth game of the season he was nailed by a slamming helmet-to-helmet hit from the Panthers' Thomas Davis. Murphy suffered a spinal-cord injury and might never play again.

14. Woes on the road. This is a team that had a horrible time winning on the road, where the Packers won but one game. Included in the seven defeats was a late-season trip to Baltimore where the Packers were humiliated by the Ravens, 48-3, for all the nation to see on "Monday Night Football." This year's schedule includes trips to Detroit, Philadelphia, Miami, Buffalo, Minnesota, Seattle, San Francisco and Chicago.

15. Wanted: a place-kicker. How long will it take the Packers to find a capable replacement for departed Ryan Longwell, the team's all-time leading scorer? How in the world could they let Longwell go to the Vikings?

16. Darren Sharper celebrates. The former Packer will shimmy-shake after intercepting a Favre pass. It was Sharper who said he was surrounded by better players at Minnesota. "One thing I always notice is that when you play with scrubs, you look like a scrub," he said. "When you play with good players, you look like a good player, too."

17. Desperate for help. God help the Packers if they lose so many players to injuries again. Things got so desperate for bodies last December they called up a Florida bartender. Ryan Flinn, a free-agent punter, was signed off the street.

18. Pro Bowl no shows. The Pro Bowl is a good indication what opposing players and coaches - along with fans - think of your talent. For the first time in 12 years, not one Packer was chosen in 2005. To make matters worse, former Packers Sharper and Mike Wahle were selected as well as Matt Hasselbeck and Josh Bidwell.

19. 12th man shows up. It happened in Cincinnati last October. As Favre hurried the team at the line of scrimmage as the Packers were driving, the officials blew the whistle. Before Favre knew it, a drunken fan ran up and snatched the ball from his raised hand. On the next play, Favre was sacked for a 2-yard loss and with no time outs he chose to fake a spike and attempt a last-second TD play. The Packers lost, 21-14.

20. Packers lose nail-biters. At some point the Packers are going to have to learn how to win close games. Judging from the 2005 season, where they out-gained opponents in 12 of their 16 games, the Packers should be very worried about that. Moral victories should not even be considered. It's all about victories and losses, and 4-12 was exactly what they deserved

SD GB fan
07-14-2006, 12:08 AM
the article wud do better with the title of "Here are 20 things ALL TEAMS don't need" and replace player's names. at least ppl are trying to post articles before TC hits. damn its boring

BlueBrewer
07-14-2006, 07:50 AM
the article wud do better with the title of "Here are 20 things ALL TEAMS don't need" and replace player's names. at least ppl are trying to post articles before TC hits. damn its boring

I crave real football news just like you, but there is none.

Scott Campbell
07-14-2006, 08:16 AM
If the Vikings handle the Packers this season like they did last year, Childress will know he made the right decision.

Dear Mr. Lea,

Chosing to coach the Vikings over the Packers is never a good decesion.

Green Bud Packer
07-14-2006, 08:22 AM
Childress couldn't coach his way out of a wet pair of panties.

woodbuck27
07-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Here are 20 things the Packers don't need
Posted: July 12, 2006

Bud Lea

After finishing with their worst record since 1991, the Green Bay Packers are feeling the pressure to dramatically improve as the new season begins, to prove that they are better than a 4-12 last-place finish suggests.

On paper, they don't look much different than last year's team. Maybe they can rebound and be competitive again. Maybe they can't.

One thing for sure: Here are 20 things they don't need.

1. Brett Favre's streak ends. Mr. Durability faces his toughest opponent in the first game. The Chicago Bears have put a bounty on No. 4. In last year's game at Soldier Field, Favre was hit more than a half-dozen times, sacked twice, intercepted twice, forced to fumble three times. "Oh man, he took a lot of good hits," Bears safety Mike Brown said. "He's going to be sore tomorrow, I guarantee you. But he'll start again next week." The Bears hope to finish him off when the teams meet in Lambeau Field Sept. 10. Without Favre, the Packers will be lucky to win three games.

woodbuck27:

Yup, all we would have in the fish tank are two guppies. Add one Angel fish -and they disappear.

2. Al Harris holds out. The Packers veteran safety did not attend any of the team's organized workouts because he is unhappy with his contract, and he has indicated he also will be a training camp no-show. It will be considerably easier for the Packers to win with Harris than without him. This could be a distraction that a team on a turn-around mission doesn't need.

Brett Favre got a face full of safety Mike Brown and the Bears during a 19-7 loss last season.

woodbuck27:

Bottom line. Al Harris wants to get payed and he'll not be a problem. He's under CONTRACT.

But supposing. . he gives TT a headache in TC . Bench him - till you have no other alternative to make him earn the money he already contracted. Move onto the program to see if his inevitable replacement is now with us.

3. Ted Thompson keeps 12 draft picks. Last year he kept 11. If the trend continues, the Packers will become a team comprised of first- or second-year players, and it doesn't help Favre. Once Favre was surrounded with experienced teammates and he could make risky throws. Now, his margin of error has regressed to zero if these young players don't improve.

woodbuck27:

Exactly. We have to watch who fr. last years Draft Class ,are stepping up this season to improve OUR offence. Favre is only one part of OUR offence.

What is TT's timeline for a Rookie to come in and develop? He has to continue to add experience via Free Agency, and consider possible trade solutions and move deciseively, as Bill Belichick is so apt at doing.

4. Brad Childress out-coaches Mike McCarthy. The Packers wanted to talk to Childress about the head coaching job, but he skipped an interview in Green Bay to high-tail to Minnesota and take the Vikings' offer. He figured the future looked much better with the Vikings than with the Packers. If the Vikings handle the Packers this season like they did last year, Childress will know he made the right decision.

woodbuck27:

With all respect. Who gives a dam about Brad, that's a Packer fan? Waste basket - for that above thought. It's not really relevent to the many REAL concerns we have to face.

5. A slow start. This could start the head-scratching among the players and threaten McCarthy's ability to convince them his way works. The schedule is no help, opening with the Bears and the rebuilt New Orleans Saints at home and going on the road against the Lions and Eagles. While Green Bay could be an improved team, many questions and potential pitfalls remain in its path.

woodbuck27:

This whole season is going to be just one BIG learning experiment. I TRUST, all players will support M3 and his staff, with all other considerations set aside.

Let's play the season's schedule and break it down regarding the good ,the bad and the UGLY. We all will see surprises, ala Samkon Gado last season; and also have to endure disappointment.

We'll stand through it all, 'the loyal fans'.

6. Ahman Green's comeback fails. Coming back from a serious leg injury, the team's workhorse running back could be on his last legs. If this is the case, the Packers really have no one to pick up the slack. They got pretty decent production out of free agent Samkon Gado last year, but they'll be lucky to get another, while Najeh Davenport tries his best to stay healthy.

woodbuck27:

I can only go with 'a wish and a prayer here'. By all things REAL.

OUR running game shouldn't be better than. . 'well OK, what can we do'.

We have all three RB's coming off leg injuries (the two year RULE that applies to Green,Davenport and Gado) . . . and Ahman's specific injury, is about as bad as it gets.

We have to find three people to play in the middle of OUR OL now, not just two guards - as OUR situation was last year in TC.

We're between shit and more shit at RB. Here's just for HOPING.

7. Only one big-time receiver. If the team can't develop another wide receiver, Donald Driver will have to carry the load again. Driver has great body control and can make the acrobatic catch, but he's not a dangerous deep threat. And without complementary receivers, this is an offense that is going to have trouble scoring points.

woodbuck27:

Two words. Donald Driver!

8. Offensive line fails to jell. This was the case last season as the team couldn't find replacements for departed guards Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera. Both free agent Adrian Klemm and draftee Will Whitticker turned out to be flops. Now rookies Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz enter training camp as the Packers' starting guards and with them, plus a new center, comes the infamous look-out block. "Look out, Brett, here they come!"

woodbuck27:

One word. HOMICIDE ! Comment: I'm against it !

9. Inexperienced coaching shows. Not only is McCarthy a first-time head coach, but his coordinators, Jeff Jagodzinski on offense and Bob Sanders on defense are sitting in those chairs for the first time in their NFL careers.

woodbuck27: ALL coach's that got there had to go through there.

10. Bubba Franks is maxed out. Entering his seventh year at Green Bay, the veteran tight end is coming off his worst season as a pro. More and more, Franks looks like a guy who had one dream year (2002 with 54 receptions and seven touchdowns) and is running out of gas.

woodbuck27: I'm taking into consideration his late arrival in TC last August before I write him off, just yet.

11. Charles Woodson doesn't live up to expectations. The former Oakland Raiders cornerback suffered a season-ending broken right leg in the sixth game last year. Do you really think Al Davis would let a No. 1 draft choice go if he thought he could still play?

woodbuck27:

YOU all know my feelings on Charles 'I'm the man at CB' Woodson.

I am not at all impressed at the cost of this piece of crap's attitude to date, and no excuse wash's with me on this player. He stinks to date and he comes with that label attached ! Did we really need him ?

When we had more pressing needs, TT exercised some brain thrust to bring in that? Uhhh !

We will all pay a price for that move. Charles Woodson's ways - really suck as I see it, and I will not argue that I can't feel that way. Because - I do .

12. Favre self-destructs again. Quarterbacks in the West Coast offense should be throwing for high percentages and he didn't with a career-high 29 interceptions. Now the future Hall of Famer, who will turn 37 in October, must prove he can handle the job, show that he still has the magic in his arm.

woodbuck27:

Brett Favre only has . . . to play within the reality (again - this season) that TT gave (gives to him ) to be OUR starting QB, as 'only a part of' OUR offence.

I want to see some change in his approach to being OUR Starting QB, that is well served with challenges, at several position's - specifically:

1. QB ( Favre has to have the tools 'the OL, RB's WR's TE's' to function realistically). Brett certainly has the skills, the experience,health today,attitude today and the will to win has to be calmed - with an attitude of "I won't try to do it all".

2. OL 'in general', but specifically, at both guard positions and at Center.

3. RB and I call attention to the TWO YEAR RULE - for RB's recovering fr. leg injury.

4. WR !!! We have to find a #1 and a #2 and a #3 and a #4 WR. In that mix, I hope to find Donald Driver; but shitcan OUR ass's if we lose this fella to injury.

DD isn't as important to us as Brett Favre; but today if he was gone who would Favre have to throw to? So that makes him - 'in a sense', as important, as, who Favre lines up with at RB and on the OL.

Given that question of 'what would we have at WR absent DD ?'. I don't know the answer today regarding OUR candidates at WR.

13. Another career-ending injury. Injuries are part of football, but when rookie Terrence Murphy returned a kickoff against Carolina in the fourth game of the season he was nailed by a slamming helmet-to-helmet hit from the Panthers' Thomas Davis. Murphy suffered a spinal-cord injury and might never play again.

woodbuck27:

Adversity is a normal element of the game. It's as much 'a given', as any given Sunday.

I just hope we don't face more adversity then we did last season; but I have this terrible feeling that TT didn't do nearly enough to help OUR OL. There must be a price to pay.

Thinking what I'm thinking? Let's pray - not that.

14. Woes on the road. This is a team that had a horrible time winning on the road, where the Packers won but one game. Included in the seven defeats was a late-season trip to Baltimore where the Packers were humiliated by the Ravens, 48-3, for all the nation to see on "Monday Night Football." This year's schedule includes trips to Detroit, Philadelphia, Miami, Buffalo, Minnesota, Seattle, San Francisco and Chicago.

woodbuck27: 8 games on the road and they'll wanna be home - on the night of all eight.

15. Wanted: a place-kicker. How long will it take the Packers to find a capable replacement for departed Ryan Longwell, the team's all-time leading scorer? How in the world could they let Longwell go to the Vikings?

woodbuck27:

Considering the cost. mmmm

I think we don't know the whole story there. I think it was flat out time for Ryan to find another late fall Golf course. He was done in Green Bay. Something, bothering him.

16. Darren Sharper celebrates. The former Packer will shimmy-shake after intercepting a Favre pass. It was Sharper who said he was surrounded by better players at Minnesota. "One thing I always notice is that when you play with scrubs, you look like a scrub," he said. "When you play with good players, you look like a good player, too."

woodbuck27: Another yaaauuunnn!

17. Desperate for help. God help the Packers if they lose so many players to injuries again. Things got so desperate for bodies last December they called up a Florida bartender. Ryan Flinn, a free-agent punter, was signed off the street.

woodbuck27: a reminder. . . . ADVERSITY.

18. Pro Bowl no shows. The Pro Bowl is a good indication what opposing players and coaches - along with fans - think of your talent. For the first time in 12 years, not one Packer was chosen in 2005. To make matters worse, former Packers Sharper and Mike Wahle were selected as well as Matt Hasselbeck and Josh Bidwell.

woodbuck27:

I look to see some development in Nick Collins game, as what is in front of him looks better this off season.

Al Harris - on the bubble last season - on going to a Pro Bowl.

I realistically think, that if he doesn't come to TC with great conditioning and 100% in the attitude compartment, that Al Harris will struggle in 2006.

A big factor is that with Charles Woodson really earning his pay and opposite Al Harris, Harris will be severly challenged by the opposition's pass attack as he will be tested more than we've seen in the past.

We need to see Al step up and prove that he deserves more money and to get there is going to be rough no matter how decent his attitude.

19. 12th man shows up. It happened in Cincinnati last October. As Favre hurried the team at the line of scrimmage as the Packers were driving, the officials blew the whistle. Before Favre knew it, a drunken fan ran up and snatched the ball from his raised hand. On the next play, Favre was sacked for a 2-yard loss and with no time outs he chose to fake a spike and attempt a last-second TD play. The Packers lost, 21-14.

woodbuck27:

Is that more adversity or just the BS we have to endure? Isn't it like the missed fumble call - on WR Jerry Rice in T.O's ( 49er's QB Steve Young's ) memorable drive, that we reviewed here over the past month?

20. Packers lose nail-biters. At some point the Packers are going to have to learn how to win close games. Judging from the 2005 season, where they out-gained opponents in 12 of their 16 games, the Packers should be very worried about that. Moral victories should not even be considered. It's all about victories and losses, and 4-12 was exactly what they deserved

woodbuck27:

Well that takes us back to what kind of kicker are we going to have make OUR 53-Man, and that kickers skills and success. Our kicker may not be with us, as the fella's we see vying for that job may not be able to satisfy OUR needs.

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
07-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Bump.

MJZiggy
07-14-2006, 05:00 PM
The Packers don't need Bud Lea to tell them what the Packers don't need.

Deputy Nutz
07-14-2006, 05:06 PM

No shit, bubba had to hold out in the beginning of training camp to get his cash, then he hurt his leg, and then he damn near got paralized. No shit it was his worst season, he was lucky to be on the field for 8 plays.

b bulldog
07-14-2006, 05:15 PM
If twelve rookies are the best at their positions, keep them all! What a dumbass idea to say that they shouldn't keep all these young guys. This team isn't going anywhere this season, next season they will be knocking at the door.