PDA

View Full Version : Thompson sees value in later rounds of draft

Partial
04-22-2009, 11:28 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/43498032.html

Bretsky
04-22-2009, 11:30 PM
he's bound to hit on a few of these if he keep loading up on later picks; this seems to be a good year to have a wheel barrell of picks

SnakeLH2006
04-23-2009, 12:20 AM
he's bound to hit on a few of these if he keep loading up on later picks; this seems to be a good year to have a wheel barrell of picks

If only we had a GM that wheeled and dealed to get us 5 extra late round picks in the draft for once...If only... :cry:

In four drafts, the best he has gotten out of his 14 sixth- and seventh-round picks are a couple of marginal starters (defensive lineman Johnny Jolly, sixth, '06, and fullback Korey Hall, sixth, '07), a kicker (Mason Crosby, sixth, '07) and a couple of prospects such as linebacker Desmond Bishop (sixth, '07), running back DeShawn Wynn (seventh, '07) and quarterback Matt Flynn (seventh, '08).

ND72
04-23-2009, 08:51 AM
this would be the year to load up on picks though. very deep late round draft this year...I was actually looking at some boards yesterday, and was amazed with how talented the late round draft pool actually is. There are guys who will be picked in the 4th-5th rounds, that are listed as potential 2nd round talent. Gotta hit on those.

Guiness
04-23-2009, 09:09 AM

If only we had a GM that wheeled and dealed to get us 5 extra late round picks in the draft for once...If only... :cry:

In four drafts, the best he has gotten out of his 14 sixth- and seventh-round picks are a couple of marginal starters (defensive lineman Johnny Jolly, sixth, '06, and fullback Korey Hall, sixth, '07), a kicker (Mason Crosby, sixth, '07) and a couple of prospects such as linebacker Desmond Bishop (sixth, '07), running back DeShawn Wynn (seventh, '07) and quarterback Matt Flynn (seventh, '08).

For what you pay for those picks, that's not too bad. Flynn filled an important role last year as the #2 QB. Crosby's been solid, Jolly and Hall have both started.

Finding those guys takes pressure off having to draft for need in the early rounds, and allows him to take what he considers BPA and maybe land a great player. Being able to get Nelson last year is a perfect example.

wist43
04-23-2009, 09:12 AM

Snake... no way can you fit all those guys in a wheel barrel :)

retailguy
04-23-2009, 10:27 AM
It is absolutely shocking that Ted would find value in the late rounds of the draft every single year, and that JSO would write about it every single year...

Guess that's because there is no point to write about free agency. :wink:

The Leaper
04-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Shocking. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Impact players are what win games in the NFL...and your chances of landing impact players in the 5th-7th rounds are close to nada. We have plenty of role players and special teamers from the plethora of late picks Ted has compiled in previous years.

Yawn.

I'd prefer for Ted to work his ass off at picking someone in the first round who can actually make an immediate impact for a change.

SnakeLH2006
04-24-2009, 12:36 AM

Impact players are what win games in the NFL...and your chances of landing impact players in the 5th-7th rounds are close to nada. We have plenty of role players and special teamers from the plethora of late picks Ted has compiled in previous years.

Yawn.

I'd prefer for Ted to work his ass off at picking someone in the first round who can actually make an immediate impact for a change.

Yessir. Snake owes you a drink for saying concisely what I've been hoping/preaching for the last month about this draft. Late picks won't make us much better anymore. Our bottom of roster guys are adequate, for once, and that is all you can hope for with those slew of late rounders TT likes to hoard. Get us a beast or two early. Yessir.

Gunakor
04-24-2009, 01:55 PM

Yawn.

Yessir. Snake owes you a drink for saying concisely what I've been hoping/preaching for the last month about this draft. Late picks won't make us much better anymore. Our bottom of roster guys are adequate, for once, and that is all you can hope for with those slew of late rounders TT likes to hoard. Get us a beast or two early. Yessir.

I find it funny that so many people EXPECT rookies to make an immediate impact at the pro level. They are green as grass rookies for crying out loud. Sit them down for a year or two and get them up to NFL speed before throwing them into the fire. Treat them like rookies. If you get an impact player as a rookie that's a bonus, but shouldn't be an expectation.

Besides that, I don't see any glaring holes in our roster that could be even adequately filled by a goddamn rookie. Raji might give Pickett a run for his money, and an OT would almost certainly start at RT for us as a rookie but likely wouldn't become an impact player until he has a year or two of starting experience under his belt. Tyson Jackson maybe at DE, but I like many of our old DT's that we've moved out to DE. Jolly and Harrell will likely be more than okay out there. Jackson, to me, is a luxury pick.

Other than that, there aren't any players at any position in this entire draft that would make an impact for us right away.