PDA

View Full Version : Gonzalez to the Falcons

digitaldean
04-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Just read that the Falcons traded their 2010 2nd rounder to the Chiefs for Gonzo.

Jim Rome
04-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Jim Rome, "Tony Gonzo to the Falcons? Like whats next, Brett Favre to New York?"

Zool
04-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Well shit

DonHutson
04-23-2009, 03:02 PM
A two is ridiculous for a guy that says he only wants to play one more year. He could always change his mind I suppose, but that's a lot to give up.

pittstang5
04-23-2009, 03:02 PM
A pick in 2010? Weird.

Packnut
04-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Gonzo was worth a 3 when Teddy had the chance but nothing better than that. He might have 2 or 3 good seasons left. However, Atlanta has a damn good team and Gonzo might put em over the hump.

Waldo
04-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Gonzo was worth a 3 when Teddy had the chance but nothing better than that. He might have 2 or 3 good seasons left. However, Atlanta has a damn good team and Gonzo might put em over the hump.

The "over the hump" player is a myth in the NFL, it hasn't happened in almost a decade (Faulk), we are one of the only teams it ever happened to. Packer fans are prone to believe in this myth far more than fans from other teams.

RashanGary
04-23-2009, 03:57 PM
The "over the hump" player is a myth in the NFL, it hasn't happened in almost a decade (Faulk), we are one of the only teams it ever happened to. Packer fans are prone to believe in this myth far more than fans from other teams.

Well said. I've thought this exact thought several times. The belief that you can go into UFA or the trade market in one off season and put that final touch on is radically exaggerated here.

SB teams are built with several years of good decisions (good drafts, good re signings and signings, and few high priced mistakes). One move is just that, one move. It can help, but not much more than the 20 good ones that lead up to it and it wont' offset 4 years of bad drafts either.

Packnut
04-23-2009, 04:52 PM

Well then allow me to explain. My "over the hump" comment means a solid young QB will have a smart vet TE to help him along. It will get the offense over the hump. This will in turn keep the D off the field more because Gonzo will extend drives. Win Win for everyone.

Anyone who under-estimates the value of a TE to an offense is a fool. Favre/Chewy/Jackson is an example.

So in closing, "over the hump" does not mean SB but it does mean a dangerous team come play-off time.

I also would dispute your veiled comment that Packer fans are dumb. I've never met one who claimed one player will guarentee a SB. Guess we hang in different circles.

Waldo
04-23-2009, 05:42 PM
I also would dispute your veiled comment that Packer fans are dumb..

They are.

Have you read the comments on JSO/GBPG articles?

I guess though they get it from the bunch that tells them what's going on, not one brain among them between the JSO or GBPG reporters.

falco
04-23-2009, 05:43 PM
I also would dispute your veiled comment that Packer fans are dumb..

They are.

see. like retailguy, waldo is condescending, self righteous, and picks fights with other posters. But since he is not a moderator, it is all fair game!

Waldo
04-23-2009, 05:50 PM
The worst part about Packer fans it the fairly large group that thinks that because the team is a corporation that somehow it is a democracy and that they should have a say in things; that it is their right; that they know better what the team needs to do than the people at 1265 making decisions that have millions of times more information than any fan, and are not shy about spreading their thoughts everywhere there is a place to be heard. Disgusting.

falco
04-23-2009, 05:51 PM
The worst part about Packer fans it the fairly large group that thinks that because the team is a corporation that somehow it is a democracy and that they should have a say in things; that they know better what the team needs to do than the people at 1265 making decisions that have millions of times more information than any fan, and are not shy about spreading their thoughts everywhere there is a place to be heard.

ehh, part of being a fan is reserving the right to bitch about your team and act like you know better than management. its not unique to the packers.

Waldo
04-23-2009, 05:56 PM
The worst part about Packer fans it the fairly large group that thinks that because the team is a corporation that somehow it is a democracy and that they should have a say in things; that they know better what the team needs to do than the people at 1265 making decisions that have millions of times more information than any fan, and are not shy about spreading their thoughts everywhere there is a place to be heard.

ehh, part of being a fan is reserving the right to bitch about your team and act like you know better than management. its not unique to the packers.

Other team's fans don't trot out that they are part owners in the team and become empowered by it. I think only Philly fans rival Packer fans in how much they bitch about the team and need to get their voice heard.

IMO it comes from this war that TT has going with the local press. All they print nowadays are new and exciting reasons that TT sucks, they have given up on actual reporting.

Lurker64
04-23-2009, 06:05 PM
I think that fans, as a rule, are necessarily irrational. After all, "fan" is a short form of "fanatic" and fanaticism is never really a hallmark of good reasoning. All fans are opinionated and generally wrong, it's just that Packer fans, for whatever reason, are very loud about it.

Fritz
04-23-2009, 06:07 PM
The worst part about Packer fans it the fairly large group that thinks that because the team is a corporation that somehow it is a democracy and that they should have a say in things; that it is their right; that they know better what the team needs to do than the people at 1265 making decisions that have millions of times more information than any fan, and are not shy about spreading their thoughts everywhere there is a place to be heard. Disgusting.

To be fair, Waldo, I believe most fans in all cities are pretty much the same way. I lived in Houston, Washington DC and Detroit, and the fans for the most part felt they should have a say in things (the "Millen Man March" in Detroit), that they know better than the GM what ought to be done (which may have been true in Detroit....), and are not shy about spreading their thoughts.

These things were true - maybe the first item a bit less - in all three cities, and I think they are probably true in all cities.

I find Packer fans to be in some respects representative of perhaps a wider range of intelligences than perhaps is found in other cities. That is, there are a lot of know-nothing loudmouths as there are in any city, but there are also many astute fans - more than I have found in the other cities.

retailguy
04-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Well, I wasn't on the "get Gonzalez train", but I like the move on Atlanta's part.

Is a 2nd round pick a lot? Yeah, probably, but it's a 2010 pick so some would value that like a 3rd rounder. That's still steep but a little more palatable.

This is how I think Ted should approach free agency. (Yes, I realize it was a trade, but the point holds true anyhow).

Free agency can be used effectively to "plug" a hole in the roster. If you've got a competitive team, I believe you can use it to take a "shot" at the post season. Can you fill 4 or 5 holes? Probably not.

I give Atlanta props for giving it a try. I hope it works out for them. Gonzalez is and always has been a class act, and it is a good acquisition from that standpoint too.

Gonzalez came out today, after the trade, and said he'd play 3 or 4 more years. If he plays at his usual level they got a deal in atlanta, if he's 75% of the guy for 2 or 3 seasons, that's a pretty good trade.

Falco, everyone gets your point. Let it go. People are different.

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Well, I wasn't on the "get Gonzalez train", but I like the move on Atlanta's part.

Is a 2nd round pick a lot? Yeah, probably, but it's a 2010 pick so some would value that like a 3rd rounder. That's still steep but a little more palatable.

This is how I think Ted should approach free agency. (Yes, I realize it was a trade, but the point holds true anyhow).

Of course, Thompson had a deal in place for Gonzalez (for a third round pick) at the trade deadline last year--until the Chiefs tried to get more right at the deadline.

retailguy
04-23-2009, 07:00 PM

Of course, Thompson had a deal in place for Gonzalez (for a third round pick) at the trade deadline last year--until the Chiefs tried to get more right at the deadline.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the event, not the player. I think you knew that, but just making sure.

pbmax
04-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Other team's fans don't trot out that they are part owners in the team and become empowered by it. I think only Philly fans rival Packer fans in how much they bitch about the team and need to get their voice heard.

IMO it comes from this war that TT has going with the local press. All they print nowadays are new and exciting reasons that TT sucks, they have given up on actual reporting.
They may not trot out the part owner bit, but they do insist that the owner should listen since its the fan's pocketbook and viewing habits that are footing the bill. I know, because I have made this case.

I think the team has a responsibility to be forthcoming with plans and explanations. There is no specific legal or fiduciary reason for this, but I think it is good for business.

I am not worried about the offense and see Gonzalez as a luxury. I am worried about the defense 24 hours a day, eight days a week.

Bretsky
04-23-2009, 09:56 PM
I have no problem with the way the media treats TT; his infinite silence returns the favor to them. And I have no problem how he treats the media.

There are some solid writers at JS. If TT gave them things maybe they'd be a bit less harsh. They are paid to entertain and I'm fine if they make waves while doing so.

People lay into McGinn was too often for his slants. They lay into him when they don't agree and then they ingore him when they do agree.

All of the work he's doing on the draft....detailed analysis...interviewing scouts...........it's absolutely outstanding.

Most cities writers can't hold his jock strap.

Bretsky
04-23-2009, 09:57 PM

I don't buy this one bit; this happens everywhere and I don't think Packer fans are any worse then Bears, Vikings, or Jets fans.

SnakeLH2006
04-24-2009, 01:58 AM
A two is ridiculous for a guy that says he only wants to play one more year. He could always change his mind I suppose, but that's a lot to give up.

Snake dunno....a 2 in 2010 is like a 3 this year. Snake didn't care one way or the other about TG going to the pack last year, but TG really tore it up with 96 catches in 2008, yet again....He'll be a beast (always in top shape) and prob. plays 3 more years. This allows ATL to beast in 2009 as he's EVEN NOW prob. the top TE right now in the game in TG....a NEED for them. Nice to see them going for the win now, instead of saying maybe he wasn't worth the picks (and even God doesn't know if that 2nd rounder will pan out in the future....draft picks are crapshoots...Snake would take a top player to help you win now anyday instead of incessantly, and arbitrarily ALWAYS looking at draft picks as a must). Good trade for ATL.

It never was a need for us, but for ATL, (they remind Snake of the early-mid 1990's Packers with Ryan at QB...and getting Keith Jackson)....a good trade for them. Like to see GM's give up a bit more than maybe it's worth in "their opinion" to get the top playmaker to put them over the top. Wish we had that. :roll:

Fritz
04-24-2009, 08:15 AM
The thing about giving up a future pick is that while it gets discounted when the trade is made (usually one round, so next year's second is like this year's third), that discount is lost as time passes.

That is to say, it's okay to say, well, it's a second - next year - so it's not too high of a price - but when next year's draft rolls around, that second ain't gonna seem like a third any more...it creates a big hole in the draft for the Falcons. For a guy whose best days are already past.

Maybe it'll be good for them. What do I know? But I would've been pissed had TT pulled that trade off.

prsnfoto
04-24-2009, 09:02 AM
I have no problem with the way the media treats TT; his infinite silence returns the favor to them. And I have no problem how he treats the media.

There are some solid writers at JS. If TT gave them things maybe they'd be a bit less harsh. They are paid to entertain and I'm fine if they make waves while doing so.

People lay into McGinn was too often for his slants. They lay into him when they don't agree and then they ingore him when they do agree.

All of the work he's doing on the draft....detailed analysis...interviewing scouts...........it's absolutely outstanding.

Most cities writers can't hold his jock strap.

I agree with this wholeheartedly TT is much like our mayor here in La Crosse that was snuffed out and ultimately a 24 year old that probably ain't the best qualified but has great people skills won. When you are an arroragant jackass who knows it all, you better do an outstanding job or have a great record to show for it. TT is in a make or break year for him my fear is the team goes 8-8,9-7 and continues that for the next few years I am hoping for 12-4 or 4-12 lets force the issue he is great or he is a loser right now he is nothing pretty vanilla. They got talent on the O they got a dream team of coaches it is TT's job and no one elses to put the talent on the field if he does that with just 2 maybe 3 guys on defense he will be successful if he doesn't he should pay the price now not later.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2009, 09:58 AM
When you are an arroragant jackass who knows it all

I quit reading after this.

Zool
04-24-2009, 09:59 AM
When you are an arroragant jackass who knows it all

I quit reading after this.

You got farther than I did.