PDA

View Full Version : How Much Cap space do we have left?

Tony Oday
07-14-2006, 12:25 AM
What is the cap hit to release the rasta CB that is whining like a 4 year old?

Anti-Polar Bear
07-14-2006, 12:42 AM

$35 Million, that's how much we have left. But that money doesnt mean anything. Ted Thompson doesnt do anything. Somebody once said Ted Thompson is all about anals and orals. I agree with me.

Rastak
07-14-2006, 06:15 AM

$35 Million, that's how much we have left. But that money doesnt mean anything. Ted Thompson doesnt do anything. Somebody once said Ted Thompson is all about anals and orals. I agree with me.

You sound like you have first hand knowledge there Tank..... :roll:

the_idle_threat
07-14-2006, 06:26 AM
Tank would admit that he gives TT ATM, except he's a gentleman and will never "kiss" and tell ...

woodbuck27
07-14-2006, 06:58 AM
We had about $19 million before we inked Chareles Woodson **.

I have asked that question for some three weeks now, on two - three occasions.

Zero response. Sometimes. . . .

I'll try to get the answer for you.

** Thompson completing his free-agent dealings with the signing of four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Charles Woodson to a seven-year, $39 million deal. Woodson, provided he can dodge his susceptibility to injury, stands to make more than $10 million this year.

So 19 - 10 = $9 Million of CAP space remaining. at The end of April 2006.

KYPack
07-14-2006, 07:01 AM
1. We have about 3 and a half million left on the '06 cap.
2. Harris will be in camp and will play and be paid this season.
3 Cutting Harris would cost us all our remaining cap room, so that ain't gonna happen for that and any number of other reasons.

AJ Hawk is gonna sign at least a 5 yr deal for 20 - 24 million based on last years numbers.

We will have everybody in camp and they will all be signed, eventually.

Dorsey is doing a pretty good job.

woodbuck27
07-14-2006, 07:05 AM
Her was 'the CAP status', of ALL 32 Teams on March 10, 2006 according to J.Clayton (right or wrong, don't know - so treat these as ball park):

Under the salary cap

Team Cap status (under)

Green Bay Packers $35 million

Minnesota Vikings $30.9 million
Arizona Cardinals $28.9 million
Cleveland Browns $27.1 million
Philadelphia Eagles $26.1 million
San Diego Chargers $24.6 million
Jacksonville Jaguars $23.4 million
Dallas Cowboys $22.6 million
St. Louis Rams $22.1 million
New Orleans Saints $20.2 million
San Francisco 49ers $20.2 million
Detroit Lions $17.7 million
Seattle Seahawks $17.3 million
New England Patriots $16.9 million
Cincinnati Bengals $16.6 million
Chicago Bears $14.9 million
Buffalo Bills $14.1 million
New York Jets $14 million
Houston Texans $12.7 million
Atlanta Falcons $12.2 million
Denver Broncos $10.9 million
Baltimore Ravens $10.6 million
Carolina Panthers $10.4 million
New York Giants $9.9 million
Kansas City Chiefs $7.3 million
Miami Dolphins $6.3 million
Tennessee Titans $6.2 million
Pittsburgh Steelers $6.1 million
Tampa Bay Buccaneers $5.1 million
Oakland Raiders $653,000

Over the salary cap

Team Cap status (over)
Indianapolis Colts $5.9 million
Washington Redskins $4.9 million

John Clayton: senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

KYPack
07-14-2006, 07:15 AM
35 mil was before all the FA signings.

The Pack had frontloaded a lot of these deals, so the cap hits are absorbed. We now have 3.5 million on the '06 cap. The news services (or dufeses like John Clayton) don't adjust the cap figures for signings in season.

woodbuck27
07-14-2006, 07:26 AM
1. We have about 3 and a half million left on the '06 cap.
2. Harris will be in camp and will play and be paid this season.
3 Cutting Harris would cost us all our remaining cap room, so that ain't gonna happen for that and any number of other reasons.

AJ Hawk is gonna sign at least a 5 yr deal for 20 - 24 million based on last years numbers.

We will have everybody in camp and they will all be signed, eventually.

Dorsey is doing a pretty good job.

KYPack:

Did you take my figure of $9 million (after signing Charles Woodson) and lop off another $6 million for the Rookie class cost?

It looks like your estimate of the cost for AJ Hawk (or $5 Million/season - is in the ball park, but I expect to see him sign for 'only 2 or 3 season's', at about $5 - 6 million per).

Otherwise we toss the bank at him and lock him for those 5 years.

Going the 2-3 year route allows for some flexibility on both sides, and I believe that will be weighed heavily in this important prospect for OUR future.

woodbuck27
07-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Hey SOV (just for you):

Just in case your scoping this thread.

Who said this?

"You never know when your body is going to give out. I've been so fortunate after 15 years, this will be 16, that I've been able to play every game. You figure it's just a matter of time before something gives out. It's like driving a car — eventually, you're going to have a blowout. I don't want that to happen. I've had a lot of success. I don't need to play. I'm playing because I like to play; I love the game."

SOV.

This fella, is arguably the leading fan star in the entire NFL ,he's certainly popular (high profile) and NFL fans are generally interested, 'in whatever (blank)'. Packer fans, are certainly interested in (blank) because of the obvious - to most Packer fans.

He's (blank) - ' the REAL shit ' - SOV !

Scott Campbell
07-14-2006, 08:23 AM
It looks like your estimate of the cost for AJ Hawk (or $5 Million/season - is in the ball park, but I expect to see him sign for 'only 2 or 3 season's', at about $5 - 6 million per).

Going the 2-3 year route allows for some flexibility on both sides, and I believe that will be weighed heavily in this important prospect for OUR future.

Woody,

I can't think of a single first round pick in the last 20 years that signed for only 2 years. I'm not even sure about 3 years. What makes you think he'll sign for such a short period of time?

pittstang5
07-14-2006, 09:57 AM
Hey Woody - I think you're right about the cap number. I'm no capologist, but my best estimates put the Pack at about 9 to 10 mil under.....NOT including the rookie poll, which is about 6.5 mil. With that said, if TT uses all 6.5 mil to sign the rookies, the Pack will have about 3 - 3.5 mil going into the beginning of the season.

HarveyWallbangers
07-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Hawk's contract will be for at least 4 years, and possibly 5. The Packers have signed most of their 1st round picks to a 5 year deal recently--although most get 4 year deals.

woodbuck27
07-14-2006, 10:34 AM

Woody,

I can't think of a single first round pick in the last 20 years that signed for only 2 years. I'm not even sure about 3 years. What makes you think he'll sign for such a short period of time?

Hi Scott:

I'm thinking, that he'll fashion a contract along the lines of the way that Brian Urlacher got his to eventually but rather cut to the chase.

There is some descrepency in how - Urlacher's contract got there, but why would any solid young prospect 'lock in', to a standard Rookie Contract?

If I'm holding the cards as I see Hawk's position. I don't want less than being #5 grants me but I also want to re-negotiate another deal after I've had time to prove myself.

If I am AJ Hawk (and/or his Agent) I want to be in or on the cusp of going to a PRO Bowl in three season's. If I'm his agent, I'll try to convince TT that he (Hawk) will be there and that he shouldn't be locked in for longer than three seasons. Certainly not five.

This is a HIGH first round draft pick of note and high expectation. If I'm Hawks Agent? I want my client to have the options. If I'm TT ? I want to avoid any possible Javon Walker situation with this first round pick.

woodbuck27
07-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Hawk's contract will be for at least 4 years, and possibly 5. The Packers have signed most of their 1st round picks to a 5 year deal recently--although most get 4 year deals.

Harvey:

If I was to go with that I'd guess it will be - four year's NOT five.

It's nothing more than a feeling I have - is all.

Willard
07-14-2006, 11:49 AM
I hope it is not poor form to refer to other Packer sites, but in the interest of information exchange I will take the plunge:

According to a detailed spreadsheet found on PackerChatters the Pack is approximately $3.6MM under this year's salary cap.

BooHoo
07-14-2006, 07:40 PM
Let's sign Hawk for 5 years. And hopefully he is the superman we think he is.

MJZiggy
07-14-2006, 08:00 PM
If we do that, can we load his contract with incentives so that he's not screaming about his deal in 3 years. I know what you're going to say--he's above that, but so was Al Harris.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-14-2006, 08:39 PM
How much do you think Michael Huff is worth?

Homer Jay
07-14-2006, 08:43 PM
Number of years is often more of a sticking point than salary. The money is pretty much slotted. Teams want to lock a guy up for as long as they can and players (and agents) want free agency as soon as possible. Just a guess, but I'm thinking 4 years.

MadtownPacker
07-14-2006, 08:55 PM
I hope it is not poor form to refer to other Packer sites, but in the interest of information exchange I will take the plunge.Hell know it aint! Sheeze, copy that whole thing on here if you want, just cite the source.