PDA

View Full Version : If both Sanchez and Stafford go in the top 8

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Lets assume Sanchez and Stafford go early.
Lets also assume Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe go early.
For the fun of it, let's assume (Crabtree or Maclin) is gone with the Raiders and Jags desperately needing WR help

that's 5 of the 8 that would go before us. Then we have:

Aaron Curry
BJ Raji
Brian Orakpo
Tyson Jackson

I think most of us here like these guys on some level. Maybe #9 isn't such a bad spot to be? If some team before us takes a chance on Andre Smith, that makes our pool even juicier (well as far as common perception goes). Basically, we have to hope Stafford (and either Andre Smith or Mark Sanchez) go before us and we'll have a chance at, what looks to be, a pretty fucking good player.

Cheesehead Craig
04-24-2009, 01:23 PM
I think Seattle takes Sanchez. Rumor is that they want to bring in a QB to learn under Hasselbeck and that they really like him.

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Is anyone getting pumped about this thing? Man, I'm not as sure about Jackson as I am Raji, but if some of this hype is to be believed, maybe I should be.

I'm going to pretend Jackson is an elite prospect and with that I'm going to think we have a really good shot at a dominate front 7 player (Orakpo *I don't love him, but I don't know it all so maybe he is as good as the hype*, Jackson *again, I don't know but I don't know what I don't know once again* and Raji).

The way this thing is shaking out, BPA could very well be a big boy up front on the defense. Wouldn't we all feel a whole lot better about this Packer team if we had an elite prospect on either the DL or OLB added with the #9 pick?

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 01:26 PM
I think Seattle takes Sanchez. Rumor is that they want to bring in a QB to learn under Hasselbeck and that they really like him.

If either Sanchez or Andre Smith go, it looks like a hell of a defensive player (based on conventional wisdom) would have to drop. I like the odds.

mission
04-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Is anyone getting pumped about this thing?

I have a regular Saturday afternoon client that's been meeting at 4pm for 2 years ... this is only the second session I've ever canceled with him. I plan on sitting my ass on the couch and might even move the mini fridge in here so I don't have to go so far for a beer. :lol:

This is definitely one of the most exciting drafts leading up that I can remember. :!: :!:

retailguy
04-24-2009, 01:47 PM

If either Sanchez or Andre Smith go, it looks like a hell of a defensive player (based on conventional wisdom) would have to drop. I like the odds.

If this happens we will trade down. I think it's less than 30% odds we pick at 9.

Gunakor
04-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Lets assume Sanchez and Stafford go early.
Lets also assume Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe go early.
For the fun of it, let's assume (Crabtree or Maclin) is gone with the Raiders and Jags desperately needing WR help

that's 5 of the 8 that would go before us. Then we have:

Aaron Curry
BJ Raji
Brian Orakpo
Tyson Jackson

I think most of us here like these guys on some level. Maybe #9 isn't such a bad spot to be? If some team before us takes a chance on Andre Smith, that makes our pool even juicier (well as far as common perception goes). Basically, we have to hope Stafford (and either Andre Smith or Mark Sanchez) go before us and we'll have a chance at, what looks to be, a pretty fucking good player.

If Curry is there, find a team who wants him and make the trade. We would probably receive quite a few amazing offers for that pick if Curry is there. Trade down, take Jackson or Raji 10-15, or Ebon Britton with a later pick. We'd get another 3rd rounder, or possibly another 2nd rounder if we trade down late enough in the first.

I believe Aaron Curry is the best player in this draft, and I don't see any possibility that he falls to #9 anyway. Detroit would be wise to pick him over Stafford, as they'd then have the very best 4-3 LB corps in the NFL IMO. Curry would be the mike, and he'd be flanked on one side by Julian Peterson and on the other by Ernie Sims. They could go with the veteran Daunte Culpepper for a year and address the QB situation next year. That's what I would do if I were the Lions GM.

Fritz
04-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Couple things: first, news hot and heavy right now in the D that the Lions and Stafford are thisclose to a deal. So it looks pretty much like Stafford to Detroit (this reminds me of Jamarcus Russell - so much money to someone so, so raw - wow0.

Second, JH, I love your scenario. I've been wondering what "surprise" players might get taken in the top eight in order for Thompson to be able to have his choice of Raji or Jackson. So I like your thinking, but I also think that I'd be sitting there, on edge, excited, only to hear the Ted would trade out of that spot, and end up with someone who'd be disappointing for me - like Everette Brown.

Honestly, I'd be a little disappointed with Orakpo, too, at this point. And Oher scares me.

pbmax
04-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Couple things: first, news hot and heavy right now in the D that the Lions and Stafford are thisclose to a deal. So it looks pretty much like Stafford to Detroit (this reminds me of Jamarcus Russell - so much money to someone so, so raw - wow0.

Second, JH, I love your scenario. I've been wondering what "surprise" players might get taken in the top eight in order for Thompson to be able to have his choice of Raji or Jackson. So I like your thinking, but I also think that I'd be sitting there, on edge, excited, only to hear the Ted would trade out of that spot, and end up with someone who'd be disappointing for me - like Everette Brown.

Honestly, I'd be a little disappointed with Orakpo, too, at this point. And Oher scares me.
Glazer said on Dan Patrick's radio show that they had agreed on guaranteed money (around $40 mil) and now just needed to finalize rest.

cpk1994
04-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Is anyone getting pumped about this thing?

I have a regular Saturday afternoon client that's been meeting at 4pm for 2 years ... this is only the second session I've ever canceled with him. I plan on sitting my ass on the couch and might even move the mini fridge in here so I don't have to go so far for a beer. :lol:

This is definitely one of the most exciting drafts leading up that I can remember. :!: :!:I already moved the mini-fidge next to the TV. The Laptop is in place and ready to fire up Packerrats.

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm supposed to be out for a run, but I can't get away from the computer right now. I just want to binge drink tonight and then sleep it off all day tomorrow, then wake up (hopefully not in jail) feeling recovered for the draft, and having lost a day of conscious life.

Anyone here, doesn't that sound better than waiting bug eyed in front of our computers for 24 hours?

Waldo
04-24-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm supposed to be out for a run, but I can't get away from the computer right now. I just want to binge drink tonight and then sleep it off all day tomorrow, then wake up (hopefully not in jail) feeling recovered for the draft, and having lost a day of conscious life.

I am seriously contemplating doing the same.

Freak Out
04-24-2009, 03:37 PM

Anyone here, doesn't that sound better than waiting bug eyed in front of our computers for 24 hours?

Go for you're run Harrell....then come back and drink in front of the computer.

cpk1994
04-24-2009, 03:39 PM

I am seriously contemplating doing the same.Remember, the more time you contemplate, the less time you have to drink. Those silos don't drink themselves. :D

Gunakor
04-24-2009, 03:39 PM

If you binge drink tonight, you don't wake up recovered. At least I don't. I wake up needing to recover.

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 03:51 PM
If you binge drink tonight, you don't wake up recovered. At least I don't. I wake up needing to recover.

That's why I also set aside 8AM to 2PM as recovery time (drink water, eat grains and fruits, nap)

Fritz
04-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Why do it to yourself in the first place, JH? Go for your run, sip a few beers, sure - but why do damage to yourself?

Going binge drinking is not the only way to avoid the computer, man.

Waldo
04-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Why do it to yourself in the first place, JH? Go for your run, sip a few beers, sure - but why do damage to yourself?

Going binge drinking is not the only way to avoid the computer, man.

You can both binge drink and be at the computer.

Lurker64
04-24-2009, 05:28 PM

That's my plan! But I don't do so well with binge.

cpk1994
04-24-2009, 05:34 PM

That's my plan! But I don't do so well with binge.I do ok. Except the last time when I made the mistake of buying Schlitz.

Waldo
04-24-2009, 05:43 PM

That's my plan! But I don't do so well with binge.I do ok. Except the last time when I made the mistake of buying Schlitz.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5612/fuknomx9.gif

CaliforniaCheez
04-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Let's do some logic.

There should be in the top ten:

3 OT's (Smith, Monroe, Smith)
2 QB's (Stafford, Sanchez)
2 LB's (Curry, Orakpo) Orakpo is smaller than Kampmann
1 NT Raji
1 CB Jenkins
1 WR Crabtree

I think the Packers can skip the QB's, LB's, and WR.

That gives the Packers the final pickings of the other 5, which are likely the last OT (Smith), Raji, or Jenkins, with one of them gone and Tyson Jackson not too much of a reach.

It all depends on the grades the Packer scouts have given to them.
Ted will take the highest graded one.

OR

If another team is willing to trade up, say if Sanchez is still on the board.

I think Ted can trade down with Denver to #12 for a 3rd round pick and get
one of

Tyson Jackson DE
Malcolm Jenkins CB
Andre Smith OT

Depending on what the 49'ers (D-line) and the Bills (O-line) do.

Ted will be most inclined to trade down if Raji is gone and Sanchez is on the board.

In my sometimes incorrect opinion, Jackson or Jenkins will be the pick.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2009, 09:10 PM
In my sometimes incorrect opinion, Jackson or Jenkins will be the pick.

That's what I'm thinking also, but you never know. Those aren't sexy picks, but I like both of them. Two of the safest picks in the draft. Should be a great bet to be solid starters.

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 09:42 PM
I like Jenkins too. Waldo talked me out of it because corners shouldn't be picked so high. He made a case. I bought it for now.

It took me a while to warm up to Jackson, but I compared his numbers to Seymore. Neither guy is elite athletically and Seymore has the slight edge, but Jackson is right there at very damn good (reminds me of Jennings, Nelson, Hawk). Not elite, but really good across the board. He's a prototypical player for our defense. He's a good guy and a hard worker. He's a rare big body. I've warmed up to him over Jenkins and I didn't think I would. DE's mgiht not be flashy, but just because they are not flashy doesn't mean they aren't a huge part of stopping the run and providing pressure on the QB. I'm becoming a big believer in the trenches (especially after last year when losing Jenkings, KGB and Williams crushed our defense)

Waldo
04-24-2009, 09:46 PM
I know a coach that happens to be a Steelers fan that has been very convinced for well over a year that Jackson is the best 5 tech prospect to become draft eligible since Seymore by a large margin and is a perennial all pro if drafted by a 3-4 team.

He's quite adamant about it.

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 09:50 PM
I know a coach that happens to be a Steelers fan that has been very convinced for well over a year that Jackson is the best 5 tech prospect to become draft eligible since Seymore by a large margin and is a perennial all pro if drafted by a 3-4 team.

He's quite adamant about it.

Honestly, since I've added him to my list of players to be excited about, this draft got a whole lot more optimistic for me.

I'm scared shitless of Andre Smith and I don't want it to come down to how teams feel about Sanchez to determine whether we get value (by way of trade or by way of a good player slipping).

Because I've warmed up to Jackson, it makes me feel like we're almost certain to at least have the option to take an elite defender (be it Raji, Jackson or Curry in that order for me)

NE trying to move up is another ray of hope that this is a good place to be. They look for the same type of defenders as us and they need an OT. They also want our pick. Hmmm. . . .<doing the Mr. Burns greedy finger shuffle>

Fritz
04-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Why so scared of "Manboobs" Smith, JH??

BZnDallas
04-25-2009, 12:43 AM
I'm hoping for Tyson Jackson in Rd 1, and Ron Brace in Rd. 2!!... that would go a long way to solidifying our dline... then see if TT can find a sleeper OT with one of the 3rds...

if Jackson isn't there at #9 then maybe a trade down and pick up Ayers in Rd 1 and still hope for Brace in Rd 2...

mission
04-25-2009, 02:15 AM
OK, Im hammered now. There was a massive party at this warehouse complex I stay at. I just followed all the cars and stumbled home. I feel like I have a couple more hours in me.. so that makes a 5-6am bedtime and Ill be up a 2-3 hours before the draft stats. Just in time to start putting down some out-of-season-budget Sweetwater Blue that I got 48 (Beers) for $5 from a truck driver in the hood...

If we take Raji or Jackson Ill be super excited and confident with the picks. Anything else, Ill support, but I'm definitely not so sure about.

The "other pick" is Moreno... if we trade down, the devil on my shoulder would love us to take Moreno. I wouldnt feel so secure about it but the intrigue would be at an all-time high. The kid is LT v2.0 but he definitely doesnt fill a top need...

Gunakor
04-25-2009, 08:34 AM
OK, Im hammered now. There was a massive party at this warehouse complex I stay at. I just followed all the cars and stumbled home. I feel like I have a couple more hours in me.. so that makes a 5-6am bedtime and Ill be up a 2-3 hours before the draft stats. Just in time to start putting down some out-of-season-budget Sweetwater Blue that I got 48 (Beers) for $5 from a truck driver in the hood...

If we take Raji or Jackson Ill be super excited and confident with the picks. Anything else, Ill support, but I'm definitely not so sure about.

The "other pick" is Moreno... if we trade down, the devil on my shoulder would love us to take Moreno. I wouldnt feel so secure about it but the intrigue would be at an all-time high. The kid is LT v2.0 but he definitely doesnt fill a top need...

If you really think Moreno is going to be the next LaDanian Tomlinson, why trade down for him? Why not just draft him at #9 rather than risk some other GM, feeling the same way about him as you do, taking him in front of the slot you've traded back to? Certainly the next LT is worth a #9.

I just don't think he's going to be that guy, and wouldn't draft him in the top 15. Especially considering how deep OT is at the top of the draft. But that's just me.

cpk1994
04-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Why so scared of "Manboobs" Smith, JH??YEah, manboobs are high on TT's list of characteristics when he drafts.

Fritz
04-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Why so scared of "Manboobs" Smith, JH??YEah, manboobs are high on TT's list of characteristics when he drafts.

That is an official Packer measurement, right up there along with height, weight, and arm length.