PDA

View Full Version : Players I think I know are going to be really good

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Maybe they don't fit every scheme perfectly (for example, some are stictly zone corners or more mauling type lineman). They're not all top tier prospects, but I think these guys are good, safe bets to be at least good, maybe better. If we move back in the first round to #23, I'd be hoping most for a guy in the middle or end of this list. Evander Hood, Eben Britton and Eric Wood (based on need, rarity and my perception of quality) would be the three I want most.

BJ Raji
Jason Smith
Eugene Monroe
Tyson Jackson
Aaron Curry
Knoshown Moreno
Malcolm Jenkins
Kenny Britt
Evander Hood
Donald Brown
Eben Britton
Louis Delmas
Alex Mack
Alphonso Smith
Eric Wood
DJ Moore
Antoine Caldwell

sheepshead
04-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Youre too kind, history tells us this wont be the case.

Lurker64
04-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Youre too kind, history tells us this wont be the case.

Eh... you get around 20 pro bowlers in even a poor draft. The major issue is that they tend not to be so densely distributed in the first round. There's going to be some really good players coming out of the late rounds this year like every year, and some of the first round guys who we all think will be really good... won't be.

sheepshead
04-24-2009, 03:55 PM
I was assuming they would all be first rounders..I see now. Wait most of those guys will be..youre still being generous

Lurker64
04-24-2009, 03:57 PM
I was assuming they would all be first rounders..I see now.

Well, those guys are pretty much just first and second rounders. It's really hard to project the late round guys, since there's so much uncertainty (Can Everette Pedescleaux be a monster? Absolutely. Will he? No idea.) But some of the late round guys always turn out to be big time players, every year, without fail.

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah, my knowledge goes about as deep as #60 on most lists. I see some guys as system guys. I see some as not very good but put up big combine numbers. I see some as just very risky positions (pass rusher, QB). I kept the guys that I think are damn good (based on what I've read from scouts and the better draft publications as well as their production, the systems the played in, the tape I've been able to watch and their measurable numbers).

Kenny Britt, for example, put up awesome numbers in an offense that, as far as I could tell in the tape, was not spread. He had guys draped all over him in almost every catch (showing how teams put two guys on him every play). He's got good size, good hands and he breaks tackles. The scale tipper for me is how damn tough he is. The guy takes big hits and in one play he gave a snot bubbler of a block that reminded me of the Hines Ward hit a little. He's a baller. Reminded me a little of Jermichael Finley or Jordy Nelson in that you hope he doesn't keep playing that way in the NFL because you fear for his safety. We don't need a receiver, at all, but I love this guy. I like him better than Crabtree (just based on the tape, not on common perception).

Bretsky
04-24-2009, 05:55 PM
I think if we moved back Britton would be a great pick; and we could probably pick up a 2nd to get to the spot he's projected to go

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2009, 09:06 PM
I think if we moved back Britton would be a great pick; and we could probably pick up a 2nd to get to the spot he's projected to go

Why do people like him so much? Seems a late riser for little reason--other than some teams in the back end of the draft need an OT. Kevin Seifert of ESPN was on KFAN today and said he thinks Britton may be more of a 2nd round talent--or something to that affect.

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 09:12 PM
86% blocking consistency just behind the top four prospects (88% is top notch) in this draft and he's a junior (typically you see a jump from JR To SR)

Merrideth, for example, had something close to 80% I believe (it's a big drop, because they only vary about 10% or so typically). To me, you take the consistent JR over the inconsistent SR. He shows right now that he's a top notch college player and he would have been even better as a SR. I've never seen a college OT not improve from JR To SR year and all top tier OT's have a high blockign consistency. It's the best grade of how well they block and aren't they drafted to block?

I see him as more of a RT, but there is a chance he becomes so sound in his technique some day that he could play a few good years at LT. There is no reason to think he won't progress into a good NFL player. No red flags on him (tape, measurables, character or otherwise). I like him. He's not a freak. He's just a good athlete and a better football player.

red
04-24-2009, 09:16 PM

i would rather have beatty, and we might be able to get him in the second

the more i read about the guy that more i like him

he honestly might be my favorite tackle out of all of them

Gunakor
04-24-2009, 09:21 PM

Why do people like him so much? Seems a late riser for little reason--other than some teams in the back end of the draft need an OT. Kevin Seifert of ESPN was on KFAN today and said he thinks Britton may be more of a 2nd round talent--or something to that affect.

If we traded down to the bottom third of the draft, we'd be one of those teams on the back end who need an OT. We'd also have an extra 2nd round pick that those other teams don't have, very useful in a year of transition. Britton plus the extra 2nd makes this trade more valuable for us than almost anybody we could draft at #9, if it works out that way.

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Beatty (as a SR) had a 85% blocking consistency grade. Solid, but not in the top category like Oher, Monroe and Smith at 88%. 3 percentage points is a pretty big drop because it only fluctuates about 10% between shitty and elite.

Beatty has been a so/so college player until this year (red flag to me, maybe one that can be cleared up with more info, but I don't have more info). His blocking consistency as a SR is worse than Britton's as a JR. To me, that's the most important stat.

Britton's consistency as a JR really stood out to me. It's what you get out of typical 1st round seniors. The guy has produced. He's a JR, but he's also a really good, consistent player (not all that common, that's why you see a lot of elite OT prospects stick it out to prove they can bring it all together. This guy already did).

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2009, 09:28 PM
This is the negatives written up on Britton. He doesn't seem like an ideal fit for the Pack.

The Bad: Not a great athlete and lacks ideal explosion and foot quickness for the position. Will struggle a bit with speed off the edge. Not real natural at the second level and looks a bit heavy-legged when trying to reach-block.

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Depends on where you look. I like nfldraftscout.

GENERAL REPORT: GRADE: 7.46

Body Structure: Has a huge frame with minimal body fat. He is a well-proportioned athlete with a big chest (almost 52 inches), broad shoulders, muscular and long arms (19 inches), adequate hand size, thick thighs (32 inches) and calves. His tall frame makes him look almost too lean, but he has good bone structure and room to carry at least another 20 pounds without the added bulk affecting his overall quickness.

Athletic Ability: Good quickness and footwork in his kick-slide. He shows the agility and balance to make plays into the second level and shows good lower-body flexibility in attempts to change direction. He has decent open-field acceleration, moving well and adjusting easily while taking angles to neutralize the linebackers. He is an above-average knee bender who can recover on the rare occasions that he waist bends. He has the functional movement ability to mirror edge rushers. He plays on his feet with good balance and body control, doing a nice job of adjusting and picking up defenders in space. He is also a solid leverage player who can slide and sustain. GRADE: 7.2

Football Sense: Britton plays with great awareness, knowing how to use his size to engulf and his quickness to get in front and lead on sweeps. He needs minimal reps to retain and has a firm grasp of the playbook. He is the unquestioned leader of the offensive line and knows all of his other line mates' assignments. He is quick to pick up the game plan and it is rare to see him make a mental error. GRADE: 7.4

Character: Quality person who gets very good family support. Articulate and modest. He is an unselfish type who will not hesitate to help other teammates digest the playbook. He is probably the most respected player on the team and one the coaches usually use as a leader for recruits to follow. GRADE: 7.5

Competitiveness: Off the field, Britton is a very nice guy, but on the field, he is a legitimate tough guy who plays with a mean streak. He is very physical using his hands and consistently works to finish his blocks. He is the type that will not hesitate to intimidate an opponent, as he displayed when he attacked California's Zack Follett after the linebacker tried "mouth off" to Britton during their 2008 meeting. He wants to finish every play and shows good initiative looking for secondary targets to hit after he neutralizes his man. GRADE: 7.8

Work Habits: Great leader-by-example type, but will not hesitate to get on a teammate for less that full effort on the field. He stays on top of the action and has the mental toughness to take well to hard coaching. He is a solid program player who will do all the little extras to improve his craft and commands attention from the defense on the field due to his dominating presence. GRADE: 7.4

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2009, 09:40 PM
The quote I got was from Brandt's site. This is from Pro Football Weekly:

Positives: Has excellent size and could add another 15 pounds. Mentally and physically tough. Good competitor. Plays smart with good awareness to recognize and pick up the blitz. Understands leverage and blocking angles. Fairly light on his feet and runs his legs on contact. Can control blockers once he engages and shows some pop in his punch. Solid character and intangibles. Plays physically and will work to finish blocks. Good work ethic. Moved around well at the Combine. Has been very durable and has played on both the left and right sides.

Negatives: Has short arms and lets defenders into the fleshy part of his body. Lacks ideal foot and hip quickness to handle elite speed. Not explosive off the ball. Does not roll his hips and drive defenders. Lacks great anchor strength and needs to get stronger. Struggles in transition from his set to his power step. A bit mechanical in his movement and late to adjust to counter moves. Can be outleveraged. Lumbers to the second level and is not naturally athletic. Tends to rise out of his stance and play a bit upright.

Summary: A college left tackle who lacks the agility and foot quickness desired to handle elite pass rushers, Britton could fit most naturally on the right side in the pros where he lined up his first two years in college and could always need some chip help to be effective. Could play a long time in the league and be a consistent starter and likely will be overdrafted because of the immense need for tackles.