PDA

View Full Version : Collins to continue workout boycott

gbpackfan
04-24-2009, 05:45 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Looks like Collins is going to stay away until he gets his new deal (or they at least talk about it). Am I the only one who is sick of this shit????? The owners should get together and do two things. 1. Rookie pay scale. The kind of money Stafford is going to make is stupid. 2. Hold outs will be treated the same. You want to hold out, tough shit. You can sit and no team will trade for you.

These types of stories are really, really old.

Didn't someone report at the end of last seaon why it was a BAD thing that Collins made the probowl. That players talk there and a lot of guys hold out after making it? I'm almost positive. Maybe it was LeRoy Butler.

Partial
04-24-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm not justifying it, but put yourself in his shoes for a second.

You just came off a great season and just finished out a rookie contract, and could be the on verge of a big pay day from either the Packers, or some other team.

You've shown your commitment to the Packers, and have performed well, but they want to wait until they see how you do in the new system to give him a new deal.

Would you risk getting hurt in OTAs and later on camp?

Ultimately, I'm sure it will back fire on him if he continues to miss OTAs, etc because he'll come into camp out of shape and be more prone to injury ala Grant last year.

A simple solution would be to offer him a nice pay increase for this year, and then reevaluate him going forward. At least that way he will be able to comfortably retire if he destroys a knee or something.

pbmax
04-24-2009, 05:58 PM
He has only missed the voluntary stuff. There is not much story here, except the new defense he could be learning.

gbpackfan
04-24-2009, 06:12 PM
He has only missed the voluntary stuff. There is not much story here, except the new defense he could be learning.

Missing the new defense is a big deal. At least to me.

gbpackfan
04-24-2009, 06:15 PM

You just came off a great season and just finished out a rookie contract, and could be the on verge of a big pay day from either the Packers, or some other team.

You've shown your commitment to the Packers, and have performed well, but they want to wait until they see how you do in the new system to give him a new deal.

Ultimately, I'm sure it will back fire on him if he continues to miss OTAs, etc because he'll come into camp out of shape and be more prone to injury ala Grant last year.

A simple solution would be to offer him a nice pay increase for this year, and then reevaluate him going forward. At least that way he will be able to comfortably retire if he destroys a knee or something.

Actually, you are justifying it. :P

How many players can teams afford to give pay raises to EVERY year. They all think they deserve more money. Collins is a young guy and will get his money....but this is not the right way to go about it. I don't care what anyone says, you live up to your contract! PERIOD. The Packers took a risk on him years ago when they drafted him. Collins signed the contract - end of discussion. He will make OVER THREE MILLION this year. He can live with that. After this sesaon, if the Packers haven't extended him, he can move on.

Packnut
04-24-2009, 06:20 PM
The guy had one good year and he thinks he deserves the big pay-check? This is bullshit. I did'nt see him making any plays late in the 4th quarter of all those games we lost.

AND it is a big deal. He should be there every freakin day learning from Capers.

Sparkey
04-24-2009, 06:22 PM

First,
This is the last year of his rookie contract, so NO, he did not just finish it.

Second,
An escalator clause kicked in so he will make 3.045 million this year. So, yeah he has a nice pay increase this year.

So, gee I hope he can comfortably retire on 3+ million....... hmmm :roll:

Freak Out
04-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Sign of the times.

CaliforniaCheez
04-24-2009, 06:32 PM
1) Collins has a low Wonderlic score.

2) He did not perform as a rookie and was overpaid. This will even it up.

3) If he and Williams think it is so bad they may just lose their bluff if Thompson drafts Jenkins.

4) I hope Lee is taking full advantage of his opportunity.

5) The best way to get a new contract is by having a good attitude and performing on the field. Holding out is counter productive.

Lurker64
04-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Now, has Collins said anything that explicitly indicated "I want a new contract, and I won't be at workouts until I get one" or anything similar? Or is this just the media making a story out of a nonstory here.

Since all I've heard out of a reliable source with a name is that "Collins is thinking about his contract", but since he's going into the last year of his rookie contract he would be stupid not to think about his contract,

I think it's entirely plausible that Collins isn't attending the voluntary workouts because:
1) He just had a kid.
2) Voluntary workouts are voluntary.

This is a nonstory until he starts making a stink at something he's obligated to attend.

pbmax
04-24-2009, 07:11 PM

Can you tell me how many hours you volunteer at work?

If its make or break, then the Packers are doing it wrong.

Packnut
04-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Now, has Collins said anything that explicitly indicated "I want a new contract, and I won't be at workouts until I get one" or anything similar? Or is this just the media making a story out of a nonstory here.

Since all I've heard out of a reliable source with a name is that "Collins is thinking about his contract", but since he's going into the last year of his rookie contract he would be stupid not to think about his contract,

I think it's entirely plausible that Collins isn't attending the voluntary workouts because:
1) He just had a kid.

This is a nonstory until he starts making a stink at something he's obligated to attend.

Yeah, but here's the problem. Collins is not the brightest coin in the fountain. Remember all the blown coverages 2 years ago?

It's one thing for a smart guy who picks things up easily, but we're talking about Collins. He need's to be there right now learning all he can. But obviously, that is'nt important to him.

If the guy is'nt dedicated enough than he should'nt get a huge contract. No reason mommy and the newborn can't go to GB with him.

Gunakor
04-24-2009, 07:20 PM

1) He just had a kid.

Yeah, but here's the problem. Collins is not the brightest coin in the fountain. Remember all the blown coverages 2 years ago?

It's one thing for a smart guy who picks things up easily, but we're talking about Collins. He need's to be there right now learning all he can. But obviously, that is'nt important to him.

If the guy is'nt dedicated enough than he should'nt get a huge contract. No reason mommy and the newborn can't go to GB with him.

If it was that big of a deal the team would have made these mandatory. They didn't, which tells me its not incredibly important to the team either. I agree this is a nonstory.

Guiness
04-24-2009, 08:07 PM
If it was that big of a deal the team would have made these mandatory. They didn't, which tells me its not incredibly important to the team either. I agree this is a nonstory.

Teams would make these mandatory if they could!

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 08:09 PM
I think the Packers know his agent is going to be hard to deal with after he made the probowl. I'd rather lose Collins in a big sissy fight (and keep Jennings, Kamp, Pickett, Colledge, Spitz and others) than pay Collins and have to lose someone better as a cap casualty.

As far as negotiations go, Collins has more power than he's worth. I'm OK with losing a guy here and there. Agents are not stupid. They know when they can get more from someone (even if it's not the current team). I'd even consider trades for him (high 2nd round minimum). I just don't see this situation getting better because the attitude of just about any agent won't allow it to (nor should it, from their perspective. They want to get the money and the teams want to spend it wisely to build a champion. They are mortal enemies in times like this).

gbpackfan
04-24-2009, 08:31 PM

Can you tell me how many hours you volunteer at work?

If its make or break, then the Packers are doing it wrong.

Ha ha ha ha. Are you kidding me? The job of the "Average Joe" doesn't even compare to that of an NFL player. Why do 90% of NFL players make these practices then? BECAUSE THEY ARE IMPORTANT! Listen to Collins speak. He is country dumb! He needs every bit of coaching he can get. 3 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!! SHOW UP YOU STUPID BASTARD!

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Ha ha ha ha. Are you kidding me? The job of the "Average Joe" doesn't even compare to that of an NFL player. Why do 90% of NFL players make these practices then? BECAUSE THEY ARE IMPORTANT! Listen to Collins speak. He is country dumb! He needs every bit of coaching he can get. 3 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!! SHOW UP YOU STUPID BASTARD!

Agreed. And Thompson showed with Corey Williams that he's going to make a damn fair attempt to get a disgruntled player to a team that will pay them, if the Packers are not willing to pay demands. Collins will not get mistreated. He might never get what he and his agent want from us, but if they never come together, Ted will trade him to someone who wants him.