PDA

View Full Version : Gut check time packer fans

GoPackGo
04-24-2009, 08:12 PM
We went 6-10 last year.

this is what we've done:

PLAYERS ACQUIRED

—C Duke Preston: UFA Bills; $2M/2 yrs, guarantees unknown.

—S Anthony Smith: Not tendered as RFA by Steelers; $1.485M/2 yrs, $100,000 RB.

PLAYERS LOST

—DT Colin Cole: UFA Seahawks; $21.4M/5 yrs, $6M guaranteed.

—LS J.J. Jansen (traded Panthers).

—DE Kenneth Pettway (released/failed physical).

We have not addressed the needs on the Dline after whiffing on Justin Harrell two years ago, trading Corey Williams last year, and letting Colin Cole sign elsewhere this year.

TT needs to restock the shelves with Defensive talent early and often tomorrow or we will be worse than last years team with a defense comparable to the 2008 Denver Broncos.

I argue that the Packers don't have the luxury of taking an offensive player in the first 2 rounds.

thoughts?

cpk1994
04-24-2009, 08:16 PM
I disagree because this was the same defense that two seasons ago ,without much change, was a top 10 defense. Plus you have Dom Capers who is a far superior Defensive Coodinator to Bob Sanders. I have evry reason to believe that the defense is better than it was last year,

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 08:19 PM
If there is a guy they think is a star (Moreno for example), I'm more than OK with adding him. I think OT is a pretty big need, so OT could break the need tie breaker in favor of offense.

I agree this much, I think most need tie breakers (if they involve front 7 defenders) should lean in favor of the defense.

I think you do your team a great disservice if you let a star go at one position because you needed another one more though. It's all about playmakers, so I guess I'd rather see Moreno if he's a star than Orakpo if he's a walking injury/borderline bust.

PlantPage55
04-24-2009, 08:25 PM
If there is a guy they think is a star (Moreno for example), I'm more than OK with adding him. I think OT is a pretty big need, so OT could break the need tie breaker in favor of offense.

I agree though. I think most need tie breakers (if they involve front 7 defenders) should lean in favor of the defense.

Couldn't express it better myself. I'd LOVE to go defense twice in a row, but I'm not going to be upset that we fill OT (which IS a need) with one of those first 2 picks.

Lurker64
04-24-2009, 08:30 PM
I hope they pick good players that help us win games. I don't really care what position they play. Obviously putting good players at the positions currently manned by bad players or no players would probably help the most, but whoever's going to help us win the most games is who I want.

Joemailman
04-24-2009, 08:41 PM
We went 6-10 last year.

this is what we've done:

PLAYERS ACQUIRED

—C Duke Preston: UFA Bills; $2M/2 yrs, guarantees unknown.

—S Anthony Smith: Not tendered as RFA by Steelers; $1.485M/2 yrs, $100,000 RB.

PLAYERS LOST

—DT Colin Cole: UFA Seahawks; $21.4M/5 yrs, $6M guaranteed.

—LS J.J. Jansen (traded Panthers).

—DE Kenneth Pettway (released/failed physical).

We have not addressed the needs on the Dline after whiffing on Justin Harrell two years ago, trading Corey Williams last year, and letting Colin Cole sign elsewhere this year.

TT needs to restock the shelves with Defensive talent early and often tomorrow or we will be worse than last years team with a defense comparable to the 2008 Denver Broncos.

I argue that the Packers don't have the luxury of taking an offensive player in the first 2 rounds.

thoughts?

My thoughts are that the Packers haven't lost any key players in the off-season. They will be getting Jenkins, Bigby and Barnett back from injury-ruined seasons. They have replaced one of the least-innovative DC's in the league with one of the best. They have some holes, but the situation isn't dire. You simply don't draft based on immediate needs, especially early.