PDA

View Full Version : How to break a tie breaker

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Assuming players are ranked equally, which position should we take first?

I'd go like this

NT (other than QB, might be the most valuable position on a team that runs a 3-4. I wouldn't be able to pass.)
LT (or any OT later in the draft. Such a valuable position and we are losing Cliffy sooner than later)
DE
P (punters are never highly rated so it won't ever come to a tie breaker until about the 5th or 6th round of players way later in the draft. Still, it's a need that would break some tie breakers at the end of the draft. I'd take a great punter over a borderline prospect at most positions that you would find late in the draft.)
CB
S
RB
FB (FB's are not highly rated, so a tie breaker wouldn't even come up until the 3rd or 4th round at earliest. I'd rather have a guy that I think is a stud FB than a prospect guard that you would get in the middle rounds)
OG
OC
TE
WR (If he was the best player, I'd have to but just about any position would win in a tie breaker so the odds of drafting one go down quite a bit. If I draft one early, I wouldn't pick another though. This position is awfully close to breaking that threshold of not wanting to spend picks on prospects like QB and K)
QB (Rare case where I might not take BPA. Prospects are just that, prospects. We have two good ones. It would be very tough to draft a QB)
K (Again, I'd take a player a tier below before I draft a kicker)

In cases where you have 2 players of equal rating available, I'd break the ties using need. Because I think we need defense more than offense for the most part, I think we should end up seeing more defensive players drafted than offense. Of course, it could bounce the other way, but odds are, I think this year we see more defense than offense.

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 08:46 PM
I don't think our team is quite so stocked that we can't take BPA for the most part. I think drafting the last few years was easy for Thompson because all players were open. He's finally building enough depth at a couple of positions that he might not be able to go BPA across the board. He hinted to that in his presser. He said he'd take a position of need over a position of strength even if the need was a tier lower. He didn't say to what extent, but I would guess it's QB and K for now with WR inching ever closer.

RashanGary
04-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Based on my reading of Ted, I'd say we have almost no chance of drafting a QB or K and a slight chance of drafting a WR, although a low chance because it doesn't break any tie breakers and the odds of just one player being the only player on a tier seems slim (especially with Oak and Jax picking before us).

Joemailman
04-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Ask the players what their favorite beer is. If the name of their favorite beer ends with the word light or lite, don't draft them. Give preference to players drinking Wisconsin brewed beers. New Glarus>Leinenkugel>Miller.