PDA

View Full Version : The official 2009 DRAFT thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 07:02 PM
[quote=The Shadow]He's wrong if he doesn't draft your man-crush.
He's wrong if he doesn't move up.
He's wrong if he does move up.

In your world, this is not fact??

he didn't say those things, he said they gave up too much.[/quote

yup

retailguy
04-25-2009, 07:02 PM
E. Brown and E. Britton still on the board... :shock:

not anymore. britton gone.

Gunakor
04-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Jags just got 2 bookend tackles today. Well done on their part.

Rastak
04-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Eben Britton ( there he goes!)

Overall Football Traits

Production 2 2005: Arizona red-shirts Britton. 2006-2008: Britton starts all 37 games at left tackle.
Height-Weight-Speed 2 Possesses prototypical height and adequate bulk. Also is one of the faster OT's in the 2009 class.

Durability 1 Didn't miss a start in three seasons at Arizona.

Character 2 No issues to our knowledge.

Offensive Tackle specific Traits

Strength/Toughness 3 Doesn't play with enough of an edge and is a finesse blocker that is going to have a difficult time driving two-gap defensive ends off the ball. Above-average upper body strength and flashes a strong punch. But lacks ideal overall strength and plays with a lean base.

Agility 2 Doesn't show great body control in space and has problems covering up defenders downfield. However, he has adequate overall athleticism. Shows good initial quickness and his lateral mobility is better than expected. Also takes solid angles and shows sound footwork.

Awareness 1 Elite in this category. Rarely misses assignment. Keeps head on swivel and recognizes stunts as well as blitzes. Technically sound.

Pass Protection 2 Quick off the ball and gets good depth in pass sets. Does a much better job of shuffling his feet and mirroring rushers than expected. Does a nice job of passing off rushers to the inside and quickly repositioning himself when defensive end slants inside and defensive tackle loops around. However, he doesn't always sink hips enough and he can give too much ground to bull rushers. He also has very short arms (32 ¾') for the position, which is detrimental in perimeter pass pro.

Run Blocking 3 Uses quick first step to beat most defenders off the ball and get into strong initial position. Does a nice job of reaching defenders and cutting off the backside. Can engulf and collapse smaller defenders. Is relatively smooth when climbing to the second level but will struggle to hit moving targets at times. Feet occasionally go dead upon contact. He doesn't create a new line of scrimmage and he lacks ideal strength to drive defenders back when necessary.

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 07:04 PM
I'd probably never want to give up a first either so I'd guess giving up what we did would be better.

Those who noted E Brown was a bit soft and a one trick pony for the pass rush seem to be right

For a while he was projected to go into the top 10

HarveyWallbangers
I'm outta here. I liked the Raji pick. I think we might have given up too much to trade up, but I like the bios on Matthews now. I hadn't really studied him before because I didn't think there was a chance we'd get him. We'll probably get two starters out of this draft. I think we need at least one more (DE), and maybe two (RT), so I'm with those that say get Vonnie Holliday or Kevin Carter (is he still out there?) on the phone. Otherwise, I'm okay with the projected starters.

Rastak
Jags just got 2 bookend tackles today. Well done on their part.

Agreed....

jmbarnes101
So TT trades away Favre's pick for Bruce's nephew. Bruce Matthews played in more games (296) than any NFL player, excluding kickers and punters, and played in more seasons (19) than any offensive lineman.

Let's hope Clay has his uncle's durability!

I'm 'ok' with the pick but see lots of holes left with not much of this draft and no real FAs remaining. Are we gonna seach the cut list in August?

What holes? TT has clearly said that there isn't a glaring need on this team and that he's content with the roster we have. Having added Raji and Matthews and if Harrell and Jenkins are healthy we've effectively plugged any huge holes we had on defense. While we need a RT we already have players on the squad that have the potential to play that position.

Wait, we do need a punter so I guess we have one glaring hole left to fill.

retailguy
04-25-2009, 07:05 PM
I'd probably never want to give up a first either so I'd guess giving up what we did would be better.

Those who noted E Brown was a bit soft and a one trick pony for the pass rush seem to be right

For a while he was projected to go into the top 10

maybe he falls to us in the 5th?

Fosco33
http://twitter.com/NickBarnett

Seems excited. Said he was going over to A.J.'s place.
:D

Well, we now have A.J. and B.J. Any prospects named C.J.?

On the conf call he said his Dad sometimes goes by Sr and he can be called junior or III. So - really he could go by CJ (or maybe his mid name is James or Joseph).

Lol

Rastak
I'm outta here. I liked the Raji pick. I think we might have given up too much to trade up, but I like the bios on Matthews now. I hadn't really studied him before because I didn't think there was a chance we'd get him. We'll probably get two starters out of this draft. I think we need at least one more (DE), and maybe two (RT), so I'm with those that say get Vonnie Holliday or Kevin Carter (is he still out there?) on the phone. Otherwise, I'm okay with the projected starters.

Later Harv, have a nice evening.

HarveyWallbangers

Good. The Vikings draft would have looked a lot better to me, if they had gotten Britton to go along with Harvin.

Rastak
04-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Pats trade up one spot....on the clock.....

packers11
04-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Pats trade up

Rastak
04-25-2009, 07:07 PM

Good. The Vikings draft would have looked a lot better to me, if they had gotten Britton to go along with Harvin.

I much prefer Loadholt.

retailguy
04-25-2009, 07:07 PM

good summary.

packers11
04-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Patriots are trading with Oakland to move up to #40 in exchange for #47 and #124 and #199. Patriots have the next 2 picks.

Lurker64
04-25-2009, 07:08 PM
I don't think anybody dislikes getting a great prospect at NT and probably an immediate starter at the WOLB position (probably our biggest need) in the first day. Call up Vonnie Holliday and sign him to a two year deal and we've shored up pretty much all of our holes on defense.

Did we give up a lot for Matthews? Sure. Was it worth it? No way of knowing until we see these guys play. Was this an uncharacteristic move by Thompson? Yes, but he also sort of signaled that he was going to do something like this (his comments about "no longer building a base" in his pressers).

Why are we arguing about this?

Rastak
04-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Damn, Pats have back to back picks.,.....

retailguy
04-25-2009, 07:10 PM

b/c it is Ted Thompson. Also known as "lightning rod".

Rastak
I don't think anybody dislikes getting a great prospect at NT and probably an immediate starter at the WOLB position (probably our biggest need) in the first day. Call up Vonnie Holliday and sign him to a two year deal and we've shored up pretty much all of our holes on defense.

Did we give up a lot for Matthews? Sure. Was it worth it? No way of knowing until we see these guys play. Was this an uncharacteristic move by Thompson? Yes, but he also sort of signaled that he was going to do something like this (his comments about "no longer building a base" in his pressers).

Hey, if he really likes the guy why not? He doesn't have a long track record so it's a danger but grab the guy you want.

Fosco33
So TT trades away Favre's pick for Bruce's nephew. Bruce Matthews played in more games (296) than any NFL player, excluding kickers and punters, and played in more seasons (19) than any offensive lineman.

Let's hope Clay has his uncle's durability!

I'm 'ok' with the pick but see lots of holes left with not much of this draft and no real FAs remaining. Are we gonna seach the cut list in August?

What holes? TT has clearly said that there isn't a glaring need on this team and that he's content with the roster we have. Having added Raji and Matthews and if Harrell and Jenkins are healthy we've effectively plugged any huge holes we had on defense. While we need a RT we already have players on the squad that have the potential to play that position.

Wait, we do need a punter so I guess we have one glaring hole left to fill.

Agree on punter - but we may not need to draft there...
Don't think much of Harrell myself.

Aging CBs (seems like on of the 3s would've worked out for that pick).
Maybe another DE and def a RT (but Ted does love the late round lineman - and that hasn't worked out great yet).

I just didn't like that we gave up an extra 3rd, that's all.

Someone else's opinion:

Packers Draft Needs
Urgent: A hard-working young franchise pass-rushing defensive end and a zone-blocking pass-protecting offensive tackle are the Packers' two most urgent needs.

Strong: A dominant defensive tackle, a dominant offensive guard, and an upgrade at tight end are also sorely needed.

Moderate: The Packers have a great-but-older tandem at starting corner, but the franchise corner of the future may not be on their roster. A very good linebacker who can play both inside and outside is needed in case one of the three starters is injured.

Nice to Have: Depth, not just in name, on both lines is also needed.

Wild Card: Is defensive tackle Justin Harrell a draft bust or will he be injury free next year and play up to his draft-day potential?

jmbarnes101
Guessing White and Barwin.

Guiness
04-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Bengals take Rey Maualuga........not a bad value pick!

Wow. didn't know he was a closet hood. Well, he's screwed. Be a banger by Monday.

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 07:11 PM

Actually I might say we'll get three starters out of the draft

I think TT is going to draft the top rated puner in the draft as well

Fosco33
04-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Raji's buddy goes for the Matthews pick... now it'll be fun to debate that for about 3 years.

edit - didn't know they had 40 and 41. Oh bill - you crazy dude.

Got a prospect CB (another need for Pack).

retailguy

Actually I might say we'll get three starters out of the draft

I think TT is going to draft the top rated puner in the draft as well

what's a puner?

gbpackfan
NE just took Brace. Thank God we took Raji. Brace was the only other impact DT.

Rastak
Pats take Ron Brace....DT

Overall Football Traits

Production 3 2004: Boston College red shirts Brace. 2005-'07: Brace starts 18 of the 33 game he appears in recording 59 total tackles, 12 tackles-for-loss, 2.5 sacks and one fumble recovery. 2008: Brace starts in all 14 games recording 27 total tackles, 11 tackles-for-loss, three sacks, and one forced fumble. He earns second-team All-ACC honors.
Height-Weight-Speed 3 Marginal top-end speed but above-average bulk and height.

Durability 3 2008: Leaves the Maryland game with a toe injury but returns for the ACC Championship against Virginia Tech the following week. Back injury slows him.

Character 2 Willing to line up at nose tackle in a 3-4 scheme or defensive tackle in a 4-3 scheme and has a team-first mentality. Impressed with way he handled interviews at Boston College's Pro Day.

Defensive Tackle specific Traits

Agility/Quickness 3 Adequate initial quickness for size. Loses balance at times but shows adequate lateral mobility for size and does an adequate job of getting down the line when guards try to hook him. Shows body control in space and has some experience dropping into coverage on zone blitzes.

Strength/Toughness 2 Above-average upper body strength and good hand fighter. Lower body strength appears more than adequate on film. Can wear down if kept on the field too long and needs to work on endurance.

Instincts 3 Good instincts but takes a second too long to locate the ball at times. Keeps head on a swivel and shows better than expected awareness when asked to drop into coverage on zone blitzes. Not a great leaper but does an adequate of getting hands up when sees quarterback start throwing motion.

Pass Rusher 4 Drives les on contact and flashes the ability to collapse the pocket. Relentless and occasionally wins with second effort but takes too long to redirect and doesn't show a variety of pass rush moves. Lacks ideal closing speed and can be a step late getting to the quarterback.

Run Stopper 2 Generally does a good job of getting under offensive linemen's pads, rarely gets driven back by one blocker and can hold ground when teams commit two blockers to him. Flashes the ability to drive offensive guards into the backfield. Uses hands well and can shed blocks quickly. Lacks range and isn't going to make many plays in pursuit.

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 07:13 PM
good pick by NE with the CB

Gunakor
04-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Not a bad couple of picks for New England

Gunakor
04-25-2009, 07:14 PM
dp

Rastak
04-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Nice pick!

Pats take Darius Butler.....

Overall Football Traits

Production 1 2004: Connecticut red-shirts Butler. 2005-'06: Butler starts 21 of the 22 games he appears in accumulating 86 tackles and eight interceptions. He returns 10 kickoffs for a total of 338 yards and one touchdown in 2005. 2007: Butler starts all 13 games accumulating 54 total tackles and two interceptions. 2008: Butler starts eight of the 10 games he appears in accumulating 40 tackles, three tackles-for-loss, and four passes broken up. He also returns 20 kickoffs for a total of 471 yards and catches nine passes for a total of 123 yards and one touchdown.

Height-Weight-Speed 2 Good top-end speed and average height but below-average bulk.

Durability 3 2006: Misses Syracuse game with a sore hamstring. 2008: Misses the final three regular season games with a knee injury.

Character 2 Two-year team captain. Cousins with Baltimore Ravens RB Willis McGahee. Uncle, Gene Atkins, played in the NFL from 1987-96 with the New Orleans Saints and Miami Dolphins.

Defensive Corner specific Traits

Recognition Skills/Toughness 2 An instinctive player. Shows good awareness in zone coverage and does a nice job of mid-pointing high-low routes. Bigger receivers can shield him from the ball.

Closing Burst 2 Elite short-area burst and closes in a flash when footwork is sound but has a tendency to false step coming out of backpedal. Shows a second gear and can recover when receivers get behind him.

Fluidity 2 Can turn and run with receivers. Fluid and can stick with receivers when asked to line up in press coverage but needs to improve off man skills. Gives receivers too much of a cushion and allows too much separation.

Ball Skills 1 Admittedly needs to be more aggressive in coverage but lack of production is misleading. Relatively big hands and though lets the occasional pass get to pads flashes the ability to snatch the ball out of the air. Played some receiver in 2008 and a dangerous open field runner. Has rare leaping ability, can compete with much taller receivers for jump balls and flashes the ability to high point the ball. Does a nice job of getting hands between the ball and receiver without drawing pass-interference flag.

Run Support 3 Plays with an edge and flashes the ability to get off blocks but can get engulfed by bigger receivers. Effective going down low and knocking ball carriers off their feet but needs to do a better job of wrapping and going to have some problems getting NFL power backs to the ground.

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Ted does love the late round lineman

I consider 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks late round picks. I consider 2nd (Colledge), 3rd (Spitz), and 4th (Sitton, Barbre) as high to mid round picks.

Guiness
04-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Nice pick!

One of the more interesting prospects in the draft. What has he really got???

Fosco33
04-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Ted does love the late round lineman

I consider 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks late round picks. I consider 2nd (Colledge), 3rd (Spitz), and 4th (Sitton, Barbre) as high to mid round picks.
Coston, Whitticker
Moll
Giacomini

Forgot Barbre was a 4.

So - still 4 mid and 4 late.

Rastak
Bills take Byrd........

Overall Football Traits

Production 1 2005: Oregon red shirts Byrd. 2006-2007: Byrd starts 24 of the 26 games he appears in recording a total of 119 tackles including 4.5 tackles-for-loss. He intercepts a total of 12 passes and breaks up a total of 22 passes. Byrd returns seven punts for a total of 63 yards. 2008: Byrd appears in all 13 games recording a total of 83 tackles including 1.5 tackles-for-loss. He intercepts five passes and breaks up 14 passes. Byrd returns 26 punts for a total of 320 yards (12.3 yard avg.) including one he returned 87 yards for a touchdown against Purdue.
Height-Weight-Speed 3 Prototypical height and bulk but top-end speed is adequate at best.

Durability 1 Didn't miss any time with an injury while at Oregon.

Character 2 A driven and competitive person. Knows what it takes to succeed in the NFL. Father, Gill, was a Pro Bowl DE for the Chargers and is currently a DB coach for the Bears.

Defensive Corner specific Traits

Recognition Skills/Toughness 2 Smart, instinctive and tough football player. Diagnoses plays quickly and frequently a step ahead of receivers. Physical and can jam receivers when asked to line up in press coverage.

Closing Burst 4 Marginal closing burst. Doesn't show a second gear when running with receivers downfield. Does a decent job of masking this weakness with awareness and positioning, but ultimately needs to be protected by scheme in the NFL.

Fluidity 2 Fluid hips and can change directions quickly. Does a nice job of rotating hips coming out of backpedal and can recover from rare false step when keeps receiver in front of him.

Ball Skills 1 Elite ball skills, just as his college production (17 INT's, 36 PBU's) indicates. Displays natural hands and snatches the ball out of the air.
Run Support 2 Fills hard when recognizes run and flashes the ability to deliver the big hit. Takes sound pursuit angles and sure open field tackler that does a nice job of breaking down in space.

TheCheese
When you are creating the foundation, multiple picks is the way to go.
When you believe you are solid, it's time to get the players you feel are special fits for your team.
It's funny how some folks who have whined the 'turtle' nonsense for so long, and lambasted Thompson for not moving up, now have reversed field and complain about him making a move upwards.
Personally, I love both picks, and applaud the Packers for shrewd planning and the courage to go after players they want.

such a simpleton view while ignoring what he gave up to move up

I'm fully on board to give up fair value to move up; I'm fine with Matthews and think he can move in a start right away.

If Matthews is a Pro Bowler this still turns out fine

But on paper Bellichek fleeced your hero

Just like Ted fleeed Belichek in 2006 trading down for Jennings while Bill selected Chad Jackson.

Completely unrelated; was there a trade betwene BB and TT in 06 or are you really talking about TT being right on a draft pick and comparing with an actual trade >

Are you serious right now? How is it unrelated?

Patriots get: 4th pick of 2nd round (selected WR Chad Jackson).
Packers get: 20nd pick in 2nd round (52nd overall, WR Greg Jennings), 11th in 3rd round (75th overall)

Ted fucking owned Bill in that trade strait up and down. This was a total stud move with how many people on here wanted Jackson and were furious to see we traded down for some unknown WR. As you can see, it worked out very well for Ted and hopefully this Clay Mathews one works out just as well.

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 07:19 PM
interesting to look at the players available with our #2

Conner Barwin/Everette Browne/William Beatty/Lockhardt

Rastak
04-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Nice pick!

One of the more interesting prospects in the draft. What has he really got???

NFL Radio sure was talking him up.....not bad for a second round pick if he works out as they think he will.

cpk1994
04-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Looks like Everette has finally found a home and its in his backyard.

channtheman
04-25-2009, 07:22 PM
There goes Brown to Carolina.

pack4to84
04-25-2009, 07:23 PM
There goes Brown to Carolina.they must of felt sorry for him.

Rastak
04-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Panthers grab Everette Brown.....

Overall Football Traits

Production 1 2005: Florida State redshirts Brown. 2006: Plays in all 13 games (3 starts) and records 27 tackles, including 13.5 TFL and three sacks. 2007: Plays in all 13 games (9 starts) and records 37 total tackles, including 11.5 TFL and 6.5 sacks. 2008: Starts all 13 games and notches 36 total tackles, including 21.5 TFL and 13.5 sacks. Finishes third in the nation (FBS) in sacks per game (1.04). Also forces four fumbles and knocks down three passes in 2008.

Height-Weight-Speed 2 Possesses adequate height, is thickly built and doesn't have much room left on his frame to add bulk. Possesses good top-end speed.

Durability 1 Played in all 39 games during three seasons played at FSU.

Character 1 Coaches have only positive things to say about Brown, especially when it comes to his work ethic.

Defensive End specific Traits

Agility/Quickness 2 Excellent first-step quickness. Fires off the ball. Displays good lateral agility and a quick spin move. Appears to adequate but not ideal fluidity.

Strength/Toughness 3 Thick lower body and displays good lower-body strength for his kind. Lacks explosive upper body power, though. Does not show the violent hands to rip off of blockers as effectively as we would like to see. Does not anchor well versus the run, either.

Instincts 2 Outstanding snap awareness. Typically the first to fire off the ball. Diagnoses the screen play quickly and consistently. Shows good awareness in limited views of him dropping into underneath zone and reading the QB's eyes. But he can be undisciplined when it comes to outside containment. Not a natural playmaker versus the run. Struggles to locate the ball at times.

Pass Rusher 1 Biggest asset is his first-step quickness. He explodes off the ball. Shows consistent ability to get the OT off-balance wide and then quickly redirects back inside. Displays a fluid spin move and also some power in his bull rush. Not coached very well as a pass rusher, though. Poor hand usage. Needs to refine pass rush moves and do a better job of protecting his lower body.

Run Stopper 3 Gets upfield quickly and can be disruptive in the backfield. Adequate strength to hold ground when he wants to  and when playing with leverage. But he's shorter than ideal and can get engulfed by bigger OL. Does not shed as quickly as we would like to see. Needs to learn to use his hands more effectively. Gets sucked inside at times when he should be keeping containment (see: Miami's TD on a reverse early in third quarter).

packers11
04-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Carolina?!?!!? what the hell are they thinking too...

retailguy
04-25-2009, 07:26 PM

maybe that they needed a DE? :P

retailguy
04-25-2009, 07:27 PM
John Beck is HISTORY.

packers11
04-25-2009, 07:27 PM

They gave up next years first rounder to move in that spot... Dumb in my opinion... Them and Denver with giving away their first rounders just doesnt make sense to me...

Rastak
04-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Phins take Pat White (huge shock there!)

Overall Football Traits

Production 1 Finished his career at West Virginia as the program's winningest starting quarterback (34-8). He is the only quarterback to start four bowl victories in college football history. Owned a 14-to-4 touchdown-to-interception ratio as a senior. He also owns the NCAA career rushing record for quarterbacks with 4,480 yards.

Height-Weight-Speed 4 Adequate size and top-end speed as a NFL WR prospect. Marginal size as a fulltime quarterback prospect.

Durability 4 Had some durability issues throughout collegiate career. Missed one game (Syracuse) as a senior due to head injury. Missed time during the previous three seasons (2005-'07) with an array of injuries, including ribs, turf toe, high ankle sprain, shoulder, strained neck and mild concussion.

Character 2 Displays good football intelligence and has matured into a confident, more vocal leader.

Wide Receiver specific Traits

Separation Skills 3 Has shown improvements as an overall leader throughout his career. He has matured into a more vocal leader as well. Rarely throws the ball up for grabs and TD-INT ratio is outstanding, although not a true indicator of pro potential because of scheme and massive passing windows. Has small hands and must do a better job of securing the football as a runner.

Ball Skills 4 Is improving but still too erratic as a passer. Will no longer have massive windows to throw through and his marginal height will be a much bigger factor with field vision in the NFL. Still must learn to take snaps from under center and read coverage while dropping. Had trouble at the Senior Bowl with his balance and timing. Does not display proper touch with intermediate-to-deep throws.

Vertical Speed 4 Possesses a slow over the top release. Ball comes off his hand fairly well getting plenty of rotation. High release still is not enough to overcome height deficiency as he will have problems with tipped throws.

Run After Catch 2 Lacks elite arm strength but certainly strong enough to make all the necessary NFL throws.
Competitiveness and Toughness 1 Elite in this category for a QB. Does a good job of breaking contain when under duress. Has big play capability when deciding to run, as he possesses the burst along with top-end speed to hit the home run if not contained.

retailguy
04-25-2009, 07:29 PM

They gave up next years first rounder to move in that spot... Dumb in my opinion... Them and Denver with giving away their first rounders just doesnt make sense to me...

It is interesting, that's for sure. To see how different teams approach the draft, shows the divergent thought. maybe they still want to move peppers and they plan to get the pick back?

Lurker64
04-25-2009, 07:29 PM
I guess Miami is installing the "gimmick O" as their base offense ;)

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Just looked at Bob McGinn's top 100

he had Raji at 5 and Matthews at 12

Gunakor
04-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Clint Sintim to the Giants, huh? Was certain he'd go to a 3-4 team...

Joemailman
04-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Giants take Clint Sintim.

Rastak
Giants take Clint Sintim

Overall Football Traits

Production 2 Virginia red-shirted Stintim in 2004. He started all 12 games of the 2005 season finishing with 53 total tackles, 26 unassisted tackles, seven tackles-for-loss, three sacks and one forced fumble. Stintim started all 12 games of the 2006 season finishing with 45 total tackles, 22 unassisted tackles, 10 tackles-for-loss, four sacks, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. He started all 13 games of the 2007 season finishing with 77 total tackles, 44 unassisted tackles, nine tackles-for-loss, nine sacks and two forced fumbles. During his senior season in 2008 Sintim started all 12 games recording 70 total tackles, 38 unassisted tackles, 13 tackles-for-loss, and 11 sacks. He also added three pass break-ups, five QBHs, two fumble recoveries, and one forced fumble.

Height-Weight-Speed 1 Stintim's bulk and height make him a good fit as a 3-4 OLB or even as a SAM in a 4-3. Top-end speed is only decent, though.

Durability 3 Stintim hasn't missed a game because of an injury but he was slowed by a shoulder injury in 2006 and underwent shoulder surgery during the 2007 off-season. He didn't participate in 2008 spring practices because of an injury.

Character 2 Is tough and will play hurt. Good worker on and off the field. A team captain who is passionate about the game of football.

Outside Linebacker specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition 3 Shows good discipline and rarely gets caught out of position. Reads keys, keeps head up and locates the ball but isn't always as aggressive filling against inside runs as should be. Not the most instinctive LB, especially in space. There are questions regarding his mental capacity. He also scored somewhat poorly on the Wonderlic Test (17).

Pursuit/Point of Attack 2 Top-end speed is not great. Plays too high at times and gets driven back. But he plays hard and gives a great effort. He takes solid angles in pursuit. Has long arms and strong hands, which he effectively uses to stack and shed. Plays with a mean streak and flashes the ability to shed blockers once engaged.

Tackling 2 Shows adequate body control in space and wraps up. Is tough and fights to finish. Not an explosive hitter, though.
Pass Coverage 4 Gets good depth and shows adequate range in zone coverage. Physical and can muscle receivers out of their routes. Hip flexibility is just adequate and is going to have some problems matching up with quicker RBs and TEs in the NFL. Lacks ideal awareness in coverage and appears lost in zone at times.

Pass Rusher 2 Owns Virginia's record for career sacks by a LB (27).Can rush the passer from a two-point and three-point stance. Can set offensive tackles up to the outside before redirecting inside. Active hands and flashes an effective rip move. Moves well laterally when running line stunts. Shows good initial burst but lacks elite closing

gbpackfan
Wow, that is very interesting. McGinn better not slam these picks then.

I think what sucks the most is all the excitment is gone. I have to wait until pick 104? I was all pumped up and bang, it was over.

Like the picks though!

RashanGary
04-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Just looked at Bob McGinn's top 100

he had Raji at 5 and Matthews at 12

Is Waldo Bob McGinn?

jmbarnes101
Glad it's not us that has to scheme to stop that Dolphins O. Pat White is a great pick for them.

Carolina must have felt that Everette Brown was worth the risk but it' still odd that they had to give up next year's first for him. I'd love to see us trade out of the 2nd round one year and pick up a future #1. That would give TT a lot of ammo to work with.

Freak Out
What the fuck did I miss? Did we trade out of the second round? WTF?

Partial
04-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Hey B, can you thrown that top 100 list in the trash... That crap belongs in the garbage can!!

Partial

Traded 2nd, two thirds for Clay Matthews to the Pats. We got fleeced by the trade value chart, but Matthews looks like a hell of a player. I'm pumped up.

McGinn has him ranked as the 12th best player in the draft.

Lurker64

We traded out of the second and the third round to get an extra first round pick, which we used to select USC OLB Clay Matthews III, who will almost certainly start at OLB opposite Kampman.

Great player, good pick, but we gave up a lot to get him.

RashanGary
04-25-2009, 07:35 PM

I think what sucks the most is all the excitment is gone. I have to wait until pick 104? I was all pumped up and bang, it was over.

Like the picks though!

That's how I felt. I didn't look into Matthews much. I like the pick more, the more I find out.

The shock was losing our 2nd and 3rds. It all happened so quick. We did get another 1st, so it was a very valuable pick. Still, it was a shock. I miss those extra picks.

Bretsky

Are you drunk again :lol:

TT trade our second rounder and two third rounders for a late first round pick and a 5th round pick

Freak Out

Disregard. :oops:

I see we ended up with Clay. Damn TT!

Freak Out
04-25-2009, 07:36 PM

Are you drunk again :lol:

TT trade our second rounder and two third rounders for a late first round pick and a 5th round pick

That's the problem...I'm NOT drunk. I just got back in and just skipped to the second round and saw we had no picks and had traded one to the Pats. I never thought we would trade up.

gbpackfan
Who the hell did the Raiders just take? Some nobody?

Gunakor
Al Davis is determined to ruin that franchise....

jmbarnes101
04-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Barwin to the Texans. They're really working on building up that front 7.

and the Raiders just picked a DB projected to go in the 6th/7th round.

Cheesehead Craig
Traded our 2nd and 2 3rds for to get the 1.26 pick and took Clay Matthews. I figured everyone else was answering this so I would too. :lol:

Bretsky

Like the picks though!

That's how I felt. I didn't look into Matthews much. I like the pick more, the more I find out.

The shock was losing our 2nd and 3rds. It all happened so quick. We did get another 1st, so it was a very valuable pick. Still, it was a shock. I miss those extra picks.

spot on; it's a shock away from what TT normally does. There are still some very solid LB's on the board at 41. I'm still shocked we gave up what was way over the value chart with these trades. Usually they are close.

We have to trust TT thinks Matthews is a Pro Bowler and if he's right it'll end up a fine move

jmbarnes101
04-25-2009, 07:41 PM
I don't know if Matthews is a future pro-bowler but he sounds like exactly the type of player we needed opposite of Aaron. He also sounds like the kind of player that the Patriots and Steelers would normally take so that should be a factor. He just sounds like a plus-plus guy with the right intangibles. I can't wait to watch this D next year.

Also, why is everybody so down on our CB's and think it's a need? We have two solid to great starters followed by Tramon and we have no idea what we have in Pat Lee (last year's #2).

gbpackfan
we could be Raiders fans:

1 - D. Hey-Bay (Troy Williamson Jr.)
1 - Micheal "Nobody" Mitchell

YIKES

Rastak
Okay Texans take Barwin....

Overall Football Traits

Production 3 2005-'06: Barwin starts his career as a tight end and sees action in 24 games in a backup role. He catches 21 passes for a total of 292 yards and three touchdowns. 2007: Barwin sees time on both sides of the ball as a reserve tight end and defensive end. He catches 31 passes for a total of 399 yards and two touchdowns. Barwin also makes three tackles and recovers a fumble. 2008: Barwin starts all 14 games at defensive end and records 53 tackles including 16 tackles-for-loss and 11 sacks. He breaks up eight passes and blocks three kicks.

Height-Weight-Speed 2 Prototypical height, prototypical top-end speed and good bulk for 3-4 outside linebacker.

Durability 1 Durability is not a concern to our knowledge.

Character 2 Member of the Cincinnati basketball team in 2005 and 2006. Bearcat Academic Honor Roll (Winter 2007).

Defensive End specific Traits

Agility/Quickness 2 Explosive first step. Shows above-average lateral mobility and body control in space for size but not a quick twitch athlete and going to have some problems matching up in man coverage.
Strength/Toughness 2 Adequate upper body strength and plays with a mean streak. Doesn't shy away from contact. Lower body strength appears just adequate on film.

Instincts 1 Locates the ball quickly, rarely gets caught out of position and generally recovers quickly when does take a false step. Takes sound pursuit angles and closes down cutback lanes. Does an excellent job of getting hands up when quarterback starts throwing motion. Appears to sniff out screens and draws quicker than most.

Pass Rusher 2 Quick enough to turn the corner and shows above-average closing speed for size. Flashes a strong punch and the ability to shed blocks quickly. Fluid looping around defensive tackles on line stunts. Has rare leaping ability, times jumps well and gets hands on more passes than most. Can get under offensive tackle's pads and drive him back into the pocket but doesn't show a wide variety of pass rush moves. Needs to do a better job of forcing offensive tackles to redirect.

Run Stopper 3 Can get engulfed by bigger offensive tackles and going to have problems holding ground against the run if asked to line up at defensive end in a 4-3 scheme but big and strong enough to hold his own working against tight ends. Sideline-to-sideline run defender. Reliable open field tackler that wraps up upon contact.

gbpackfan
04-25-2009, 07:42 PM
I don't know if Matthews is a future pro-bowler but he sounds like exactly the type of player we needed opposite of Aaron. He also sounds like the kind of player that the Patriots and Steelers would normally take so that should be a factor. He just sounds like a plus-plus guy with the right intangibles. I can't wait to watch this D next year.

Also, why is everybody so down on our CB's and think it's a need? We have two solid to great starters followed by Tramon and we have no idea what we have in Pat Lee (last year's #2).

Matthews would have been a Patroit if we didnt take him. He is going to be great!

falco
Completely unrelated; was there a trade betwene BB and TT in 06 or are you really talking about TT being right on a draft pick and comparing with an actual trade >

packers traded down with pats - pats used our pick to take jackson (#38 i think) and we used their pick to take jennings.

Lurker64
Ras, please help me. Who the HELL did the Raiders just take?

jmbarnes101
we could be Raiders fans:

1 - D. Hey-Bay (Troy Williamson Jr.)
1 - Micheal "Nobody" Mitchell

YIKES

It sounds like one of the guys I play fantasy football with drafting 3rd string RB's based on training camp production. He never does well.

gbpackfan
04-25-2009, 07:43 PM
The Broncos just tried to trump their rivals in the battle of "nobody safeties!"

Freak Out
Traded our 2nd and 2 3rds for to get the 1.26 pick and took Clay Matthews. I figured everyone else was answering this so I would too. :lol:

Thanks for all the responses boys...I come here before I ever go to packers.com or espn. :lol:

Gunakor

Mayock said he was in the 7th round in his mock. Just another speed guy that Al loves so much.

Rastak
04-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Raider stake Michael Mitchell.....

No info.........<snicker>

jmbarnes101
04-25-2009, 07:45 PM

Matthews would have been a Patroit if we didnt take him. He is going to be great!

I think so too. Extremely stoked with TT's draft so far. I'd love to see us get that Fullback (the guy with the F name; can't think of it) tomorrow and a potential tackle or guard along with any of the Badgers D players I'm high on.

packers11
04-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Mel Kiper is mad... hahahahaha ... He said the Raiders could have waited until the 5th round and that would be a reach...

cpk1994
04-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Kevin Greene is at the podium at Packers.com

Charles Woodson
04-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Mel Kiper is mad... hahahahaha ... He said the Raiders could have waited until the 5th round and that would be a reach...
lol espn scounts rank him a 0

Rastak
04-25-2009, 07:47 PM

Announcing the Seahawks pick?

Partial
WTF it must be awful to be a Raiders fan on draft day. How mad you be, passing on Crabtree for that guy?!?

cpk1994
lol espn scounts rank him a 0Even funnier is that they couldn't find him in Mel's book!

cpk1994
04-25-2009, 07:48 PM

Announcing the Seahawks pick?HE addressing the media in GB, wiseguy. :lol:

Partial
04-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Anybody else hopes TT gets back into the second? :D

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 07:49 PM

I think so too. Extremely stoked with TT's draft so far. I'd love to see us get that Fullback (the guy with the F name; can't think of it) tomorrow and a potential tackle or guard along with any of the Badgers D players I'm high on.

we'll probably have a shot at that fullback

We could still get the top punter

Wouldn't it be funny if we got 4 immediate starters ? :lol:

Rastak
Seahawks take C Unger.........

Oregon can tell us about this....he stayed in the region....

Partial
Like the Unger pick. Good value at this point.

rbaloha1
04-25-2009, 07:51 PM
kevin greene is on packers.com

cpk1994
Kevin Greene wants physical linebackers that stick their face into people. He's laying it all out there.

Lurker64
Unger's a hell of a player, can start in this league for a decade. I kind of wanted him in the second... but *shrug*.

Gunakor
I am so freakin stoked about Kevin Greene working with Matthews. Just listen to him. This kid is gonna be special.

Rastak
04-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Loadholt and Beatty are still there......as is DJ Moore.

Vikes have fingers crossed.

cpk1994
04-25-2009, 07:52 PM
I am so freakin stoked about Kevin Greene working with Matthews. Just listen to him. This kid is gonna be special.Yeah, if any of the LB's loaf off in practive, Kevin is going to personally kick their asses.

Partial
04-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Gotta like Seattle's draft. Two versatile, safe athletes. More substance than style.

rbaloha1
04-25-2009, 07:53 PM
I am so freakin stoked about Kevin Greene working with Matthews. Just listen to him. This kid is gonna be special.

He better be given draft selection and what was given up.

Joemailman
04-25-2009, 07:54 PM

Mayock said he was in the 7th round in his mock. Just another speed guy that Al loves so much.

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2009/players/8844.html

Rastak
04-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Browns get a decent reciever in Massaquoi.

jmbarnes101

Yeah, it was fun to listen to Greene get all fired up about it. I love this new staff. They have something we've been missing since Fritz... personality and fire.

Bretsky
Jags sure are shoring up that OL

Rastak
04-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Jags sure are shoring up that OL

No shit........instant rebuild.

Joemailman
Anybody else hopes TT gets back into the second? :D

He'll try, but it'll be tough. 3rd is more likely imo.

cpk1994

Yeah, it was fun to listen to Greene get all fired up about it. I love this new staff. They have something we've been missing since Fritz... personality and fire.He looked like he wanted to hit somebody.

Rastak
Cowgals on the clock......

oregonpackfan
04-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Seahawks take C Unger.........

Oregon can tell us about this....he stayed in the region....

I would have loved the Packers to take Max Unger.

He originally started at left tackle for the Ducks but was moved to center because of need. He is a very intelligent and versatile linemen. He is capable of playing all 5 of the OL positions.

He is a team leader and high character type of guy. The Seahawks got a good deal in picking him, IMO.

Rastak
Girls passed....WTF?

gbpackfan
Cowboys missed their pick?

Bretsky
FUNNY

DALLAS runs out of time

gbpackfan
04-25-2009, 07:59 PM
What????? What a bunch of idiots!

cpk1994
Cowgals on the clock......And the Cowboys passed.

Rastak
FUNNY

DALLAS runs out of time

Hey shit happens!

:wink:

Lurker64
Cowboys are hoping Kevin Williams will fall to them. Poor, poor Cowboys.

gbpackfan
trade to bill

Rastak
04-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Boys traded the pick......

falco
probably just trying to avoid the big contracts that come with the 51st pick

Gunakor
probably just trying to avoid the big contracts that come with the 51st pick

:lol: :lol:

Rastak
04-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Okay Bills Take Levitre....

whoever that is.....

Rastak
04-25-2009, 08:02 PM
I guess we call upon Oregon again....cause he isn't on my lists.

gbpackfan
If the Packers want to get into the 3rd round it would take:

4th (104)
5th (145)
5th (162)

And they could get up to pick #89 (maybe....maybe #88)

Points would be 146.6 to 145

cpk1994
Looks like someone is going to speak at Packers.com.

gbpackfan
04-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Ras,

Eagles could go Loadholt here! :shock:

Bretsky
If the Packers want to get into the 3rd round it would take:

4th (104)
5th (145)
5th (162)

And they could get up to pick #89 (maybe....maybe #88)

Points would be 146.6 to 145

I think it was Gunakor who noted TTT was going to trade up once more today to grab a OT so if it happens kudos to him

It would not at all surprise me if TT trades down once or twice tomorrow so he can load up on some pass rushing prospects, a punter, and a FB

gbpackfan
Well, guess not. McCoy.

Rastak
Looks like the Vikes will get either Loadholt or beatty with their second.

I thought they'd be gone at this point.....

Gunakor
04-25-2009, 08:05 PM

OMG who the hell is this clown?

Stevogbfan
who is that on packers.com?

cpk1994
I believe Winston Moss is on Packers.com now.

Joemailman
TT transcript on Clay Matthews deal. http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2009/04/25/2/

Rastak
Ras,

Indeed.....Beatty would still be there though so they are probably ok......

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Ras,

Indeed.....Beatty would still be there though so they are probably ok......

how soon til the Vikes pick ?

Stevogbfan
well that was short

Rastak
Eagles take a RB......McCoy......

RashanGary
04-25-2009, 08:07 PM
That was an area scout.

Gunakor
Wow, Dallas isn't picking anybody today?

gbpackfan
Plenty of good OT here for the Vikes. Loadholt, Beatty, Cadogan.

RashanGary
TT likes to get these scouts out there. Seems like TT knows what it's like to work behind the scenes. Wants these guys to be a part of everything, including taking the credit for the players they scout.

jmbarnes101
04-25-2009, 08:08 PM

That was supposedly scout Sam Steele. You can tell he doesn't do the media thing often.

Rastak
04-25-2009, 08:08 PM

Yea, they have lots of other shit going on today..... :D

falco
04-25-2009, 08:09 PM

That was supposedly scout Sam Steele. You can tell he doesn't do the media thing often.

Didn't think he did that poorly. Spoke very frankly.

cpk1994

That was supposedly scout Sam Steele. You can tell he doesn't do the media thing often.He looks like the Miller High Life guy.

gbpackfan
Could the Vikes go QB here? Nate Davis? Rhett Bomar?

Rastak
Vikings take Loadholt!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a happy guy........

Gunakor
Grats Ras, got both of the guys you wanted today!

gbpackfan
Ahhhh. That sucks. Loadholt to the Vikes!

RashanGary
I hope it's another skill player. I want the Vikes to be weakened on the lines :)

cpk1994
04-25-2009, 08:10 PM

Yea, they have lots of other shit going on today..... :DWhat, is Nate Newton making another shipment? :lol:

gbpackfan
What a day for Ras!

RashanGary
I hope it's another skill player. I want the Vikes to be weakened on the lines :)

haha. Shit.

Rastak
Grats Ras, got both of the guys you wanted today!

yea, I'm happy...it was sort of obvious from the pre draft coverage but I think this dude is a big upgrade from Cook.

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 08:11 PM
congrats Ras

gbpackfan
04-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Cook is garbage! Loadholt is a big upgrade.

esoxx
04-25-2009, 08:13 PM

whoever that is.....

Personally, I like Viagra better but to each his own.

Bretsky
I've kind of lost the vibe for all of this with all of our picks gone

RashanGary
I don't know how good he is. We'll see. Kampman is going to give him an introduction to the speed of the NFL.

jmbarnes101
I'm not going to let my disappointment of the Vikings adding potential quality pieces ruin what for me is my favorite day one of the TT era. The only one that comes close is the drafting of the heir apparent since it meant we were done with Mke Sherman.

Rastak
04-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks guys.....I hope Harvin doesn't implode and Loadholt get's overmatched at this level...

my Wist imitation......

cpk1994

whoever that is.....

Personally, I like Viagra better but to each his own.YOu just caused me to spit out quality beer. :lol:

gbpackfan
I've kind of lost the vibe for all of this with all of our picks gone

I couldnt agree more. I love our 2 picks but I was looking forward to the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Now, We have one pick in the 4th and then the scrubs coming filtering in. Kind of disappointing.

RashanGary
04-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Haha. Congrats, Ras.

I'm not a big Vike fan :)

cpk1994
04-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Haha. Congrats, Ras.

I'm not a big Vike fan :)Well, I'm a big fan of Vikes.

Rastak
04-25-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't know how good he is. We'll see. Kampman is going to give him an introduction to the speed of the NFL.

Let him in......screen to Harvin....he could go all the way......... :D

Lurker64
04-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks guys.....I hope Harvin doesn't implode and Loadholt get's overmatched at this level...

my Wist imitation......

Wist was happy today, your imitation is poor.

Rastak
04-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Haha. Congrats, Ras.

I'm not a big Vike fan :)

Well, it looks like the packers got quality to help that defense.

Vikings needed a RT and got a damn big one. Harvin was considered by many as a top 10 talent with a 7th round brain......we'll see how it works out.

I like top 10 talent at this point until other shit starts adding to the equation.

Rastak
04-25-2009, 08:20 PM

my Wist imitation......

Wist was happy today, your imitation is poor.

Old Wist I meant.

packers11
04-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Looks like Braylon, Boldin, and Chad Johnson are all staying put... So much for all those pre-draft rumors about wide receivers...

jmbarnes101
04-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Anybody still alive or is the lack of Packer picks causing everybody to go away?

Curious, who are the top players left?

packers11
04-25-2009, 08:29 PM
I like Sean Smith... I liked him better than V.Davis... I doubt the packers will take him though if he's still available in the third round...

Lurker64
04-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Weird pick by the Pats there. What's wrong with Beatty? Does he have a horrible disease or something?

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Weird pick by the Pats there. What's wrong with Beatty? Does he have a horrible disease or something?

Think TT could give up our 4th, our 5th, and a 4th next year to jump up and Grab him ?

He seems to be the one OT left above the rest

cpk1994
Anybody still alive or is the lack of Packer picks causing everybody to go away?

Curious, who are the top players left?I think the excess consumption of beer is causing everbody to go away.

oregonpackfan
I guess we call upon Oregon again....cause he isn't on my lists.

Andy Levitre played for the Oregon State Beavers, not the Oregon Ducks.

He is a very fine offensive tackle for the Beavers. He has played several positions on the Oline for the Beavers.

He is projected to be switched to guard at the pro level.

http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/levitre_andy00.html

Rastak
04-25-2009, 08:33 PM

Still here but several beers have caused me to slow down...... :shock:

Rastak
04-25-2009, 08:34 PM

Curious, who are the top players left?I think the excess consumption of beer is causing everbody to go away.

You nailed it.

cpk1994
04-25-2009, 08:35 PM

Still here but several beers have caused me to slow down...... :shock:You are not kidding. My garbage can is overflowing with empty bottles. :shock:

jmbarnes101
04-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Good thing I don't drink than I guess.

Lurker64
04-25-2009, 08:38 PM
I think I'm on my sixth Fresca...

Rastak
04-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Good think I don't drink than I guess.

Yes, you have the advantage of being sharp and on your toes....

We have the advantage of a great buzz and a generally happy feeling about what just occurred....

Guiness
04-25-2009, 08:42 PM

He punched a coach.

packers11
04-25-2009, 08:46 PM
2 more picks left... wow did it fly or what...

cpk1994
I think I'm on my sixth Fresca...Judge Smails, is that you? :lol:

Joemailman
As things stand right now, 83 players will go off the board between packer picks. If TT is willing to do this, is it a sign that TT agrees with those who say this is a weak draft? Just grab the guys you really like, and ignore mediocre 2-3 round guys?

Lurker64
We have the advantage of a great buzz and a generally happy feeling about what just occurred....

Do you think this can explain the earlier Wist anomaly?

cpk1994
04-25-2009, 08:51 PM
I must really be drunk. I swear Bill B. is wearing a suit and a tie.

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 08:51 PM
As things stand right now, 83 players will go off the board between packer picks. If TT is willing to do this, is it a sign that TT agrees with those who say this is a weak draft? Just grab the guys you really like, and ignore mediocre 2-3 round guys?

Bill Bellicheck is on ESPN saying his scouts thought the strength of this draft was the talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds so their goal was to add picks there. interesting

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 08:53 PM

wonder if his house burned down so he lost all his hoodies ?

retailguy
04-25-2009, 08:55 PM

his g/f lost them all in her divorce settlement, and all he had left was his 70's disco suit.

Packnut
04-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Thompson did what he was suppossed to do. It would have been foolish to spend the money it took to get Capers and then tell the guy to go to war with an empty gun.

Teddy gave the guy a few bullets. I'm surprised some missed the point on Raji. I firmly believe you need 2 solid NT's in the 3-4. It takes a ton of stamina to play every snap. Pickett was at his best when they rotated in and out. Now they can have that rotation again. It's not a situation where it's either Pickett or Raji-it's both.

Let's say for the sake of argument that the law of averages kicks in. Jenkins has proven good when healthy. May-be Harrell gives us something. If it works out, we can have a good rotation in the front 3 to where they are always fresh. That will help in the 4th quarter.

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Thompson did what he was suppossed to do. It would have been foolish to spend the money it took to get Capers and then tell the guy to go to war with an empty gun.

Teddy gave the guy a few bullets. I'm surprised some missed the point on Raji. I firmly believe you need 2 solid NT's in the 3-4. It takes a ton of stamina to play every snap. Pickett was at his best when they rotated in and out. Now they can have that rotation again. It's not a situation where it's either Pickett or Raji-it's both.

Let's say for the sake of argument that the law of averages kicks in. Jenkins has proven good when healthy. May-be Harrell gives us something. If it works out, we can have a good rotation in the front 3 to where they are always fresh. That will help in the 4th quarter.

TT lover :lol: :wink:

pbmax
04-25-2009, 08:59 PM

Now that would be a loss. Have a look at this picture (safe for work, not safe for sanity)

http://cache-foo.deadspin.com/gawker/assets/images/11/2009/04/504x_belichick.com

pbmax

his g/f lost them all in her divorce settlement, and all he had left was his 70's disco suit.

See shirt in above link!

Bretsky
MEL KIPER

LOVES GREEN BAY :!:

cpk1994
04-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Mel Kiper just picked the Packers as his big winner of the day.

retailguy
04-25-2009, 09:00 PM
MEL KIPER

LOVES GREEN BAY :!:

shit, we're doomed. :shock:

Joemailman
04-25-2009, 09:01 PM

Bill Bellicheck is on ESPN saying his scouts thought the strength of this draft was the talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds so their goal was to add picks there. interesting

I thought the consensus going on was that this year's draft was a weak top 10 but a strong top 50. That's partly why this was such a surprise. We'll see. Like a lot of people, I hadn't focused much on Matthews because I didn't think we'd have a shot at him. Very interesting day.

Bretsky
STEVE MARIUCCI PRAISING GREEN BAY AS WELL

Fritz
Man, that was a lot to give up for Mathews. I'm not a huge fan of trading up, but I do echo the sentiments of the poster (Harv, maybe?) who said at one point that many of the people blasting TT for being the "turtle" and never making a bold move now seem to be blasting him for giving up so much to make such a bold move....

I think it was a lot to give up, but I'm not a big trading up guy. Still, it seems that TT was telling us the truth when he said he needed to build up the core of the team, and feels he's done that so now he can spend his ammo to get the guys he wants.

I also think that TT likes the end of this draft - he trusts his scouts to find the fifth and sixth and seventh rounders that will turn into players (well, maybe one or two)..

All in all, people wanted TT to draft for need, mostly. They cried about Jordy Nelson last year, many folks, because GB didn't "need" a receiver. Now TT drafts at positions seen as need, and people still bitch - now that he didn't go "BPA." Thopugh maybe he did. Maybe he liked Raji better than Crabtree.

RashanGary
Paper champs!!

Woo Hoo!!

Rastak

Very possible but he'd have had to start awfully early.

cpk1994
04-25-2009, 09:02 PM

Very possible but he'd have had to start awfully early.Well, he could have downed a couple of silos quick.

cpk1994
04-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Must still be expecting someone at Packers.com

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Man, that was a lot to give up for Mathews. I'm not a huge fan of trading up, but I do echo the sentiments of the poster (Harv, maybe?) who said at one point that many of the people blasting TT for being the "turtle" and never making a bold move now seem to be blasting him for giving up so much to make such a bold move....

I think it was a lot to give up, but I'm not a big trading up guy. Still, it seems that TT was telling us the truth when he said he needed to build up the core of the team, and feels he's done that so now he can spend his ammo to get the guys he wants.

I also think that TT likes the end of this draft - he trusts his scouts to find the fifth and sixth and seventh rounders that will turn into players (well, maybe one or two)..

All in all, people wanted TT to draft for need, mostly. They cried about Jordy Nelson last year, many folks, because GB didn't "need" a receiver. Now TT drafts at positions seen as need, and people still bitch - now that he didn't go "BPA." Thopugh maybe he did. Maybe he liked Raji better than Crabtree.

I've flipped from a need to BPA guy if the BPA has superior talent.
I like Mathews but like most question if we gave up too much. For GB to give up this much I have to think Matthews will be a Pro Bowler..and if that is right that deal willl look good.

jmbarnes101
04-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Well we can add big bodies on the line and complete linebackers to the list of things that Ted looks for when drafting.

oregonpackfan
04-25-2009, 09:23 PM

C'mon, Bretsky! Even the strongest TT-hater has to admit the Packers made two fine draft picks on defensive players--and it was defense where the Packers had the greatest need. I am very happy with the Raji and Matthews picks.

RashanGary
04-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Thompson talked about Raji being the best player on the board. He said all things being equal, he would always lean in favor of the rare big guys. Said that that is why he took Raji.

He didn't come out and say it, but it sounded like he did have Crabtree rated really high. It sounded like he had Raji rated on the same tier, but Raji was a rare body type that you don't get many opportunities to take.

packers11
04-25-2009, 09:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4100869

John Clayton

10 nuggets from day 1:

"2. Packers general manager Ted Thompson loves to trade back, but on Saturday, he traded up from the second round into the first to take linebacker Clay Matthews. Packers fans should rejoice. The additions of B.J. Raji and Matthews will make the transition to a 3-4 defense smoother."

Bretsky

C'mon, Bretsky! Even the strongest TT-hater has to admit the Packers made two fine draft picks on defensive players--and it was defense where the Packers had the greatest need. I am very happy with the Raji and Matthews picks.

I'm enjoying giving PN a bit of jousting here; he's one of the biggest haters left. Can we bring back Packpete to see if he likes the new players ?

pbmax

I agree Fritz and I don't think, if you are sitting in that room that it is an either/or proposition of BPA or need.

You don't want to reach, you want value.
Similar grades on guys means trade down if you can stay in range.
BPA at position of strength only if nothing else of that value is in range or you can't execute the trade down. (Rodgers maybe Harrell)
Need over BPA if Need is value for the pick and trade down can't get you the same. (Raji) There has to be a limit on the difference here, so the players need to be close.

pbmax
04-25-2009, 09:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4100869

John Clayton

10 nuggets from day 1:

"2. Packers general manager Ted Thompson loves to trade back, but on Saturday, he traded up from the second round into the first to take linebacker Clay Matthews. Packers fans should rejoice. The additions of B.J. Raji and Matthews will make the transition to a 3-4 defense smoother."
I have to tell you, I hate to do something so obvious that even Clayton praises it. I liked it better when Wilbon was on PTI last summer mocking our GM by imitation "I'm Ted Thompson and I am smarter than everybody else!"

Joemailman
04-25-2009, 09:34 PM

I think people are still in shock. From 2005-2008, TT made 13 picks in rounds 2-3. This was like opening all your presents on Christmas Eve and then having nothing to do on Christmas morning.

Gunakor
04-25-2009, 09:34 PM

John Clayton

10 nuggets from day 1:

I have to tell you, I hate to do something so obvious that even Clayton praises it. I liked it better when Wilbon was on PTI last summer mocking our GM by imitation "I'm Ted Thompson and I am smarter than everybody else!"

Al Davis gets that honor this year I think.

retailguy
04-25-2009, 09:38 PM

I think people are still in shock. From 2005-2008, TT made 13 picks in rounds 2-3. This was like opening all your presents on Christmas Eve and then having nothing to do on Christmas morning.

you open presents christmas morning? :shock:

no wonder I don't understand Ted Thompson. :? :P

Packnut
04-25-2009, 09:41 PM

I'm enjoying giving PN a bit of jousting here; he's one of the biggest haters left. Can we bring back Packpete to see if he likes the new players ?

:wink:

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2009, 02:54 AM

Bingo! My guess is you'll see Pickett on early downs and when the Pack is behind. Raji brings more pass rush. He'll play more on 3rd down and when the Pack is head. Should help that anemic defense we saw last year when the Pack was trying to hold a lead in the 4th quarter.

Partial
04-26-2009, 03:08 AM
Part of me wonders if TT had Matthews above Orakpo and/or Maybin. Matthews seems more well versed in coverage than either of the other two. Maybin is too young to be a Thompson guy(he seems to really like seniors).

packrulz
04-26-2009, 06:39 AM
Players still on the board: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80ffd844&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

6 WR's taken in the first round, wow.
Maryland's Darrius Heyward-Bey, who went seventh to the Oakland Raiders, was the first of six wide receivers taken in the first round of the NFL draft.
First-round picks by position
Position Number First to go (pick)
Wide receiver 6 Darrius Heyward-Bey (7th)
Offensive tackle 4 Jason Smith (2nd)
Defensive end 4 Tyson Jackson (3rd)
Linebacker 4 Aaron Curry (4th)
Quarterbacks 3 Matthew Stafford (1st)
Defensive tackle 3 B.J. Raji (9th)
Running back 3 Knowshon Moreno (12th)
Cornerback 2 Malcolm Jenkins (14th)
Center 2 Alex Mack (21st)
Tight end 1 Brandon Pettigrew (20th)

pack4to84
04-26-2009, 06:58 AM
With the amount TT traded to move up and select Clay Matthews. Matthews was the original planed pick at 9, but when BJ fell to us TT couldn't pass on him. I bet from that point on TT was working the phones trying to move back into the first round, but had no takers until NE had a offer they couldn't refuse.

pack4to84
04-26-2009, 07:22 AM
Chicago Sun Times gives the Packers a A grade for the first day

SI.com's Don Banks says one of the draft's biggest losers is ... Ryan Pickett. "Pickett might be asked to shift to end in Green Bay's new 3-4," writes Banks, "but he's not going to be their long-term man in the middle any more."

Scouts Inc. (ESPN Insider) lists the selection of Raji as one of the five best moves of Day 1.

The Chicago Tribune's Dan Pompeii jokes that it might have been Dom Capers who was running the Packers' draft Saturday. Pompeii says both Raji and Matthews "were needs, but both also were value picks. The draft laid out very well indeed for the Packers, who unquestionably became a better team Saturday."

The Sporting News' Clifton Brown lists the Packers defense among the first day's winners.

Pro Football Weekly's Dan Arkush says that while Ted Thompson trading up was out of character, the move to get Matthews will be well worth it.

Tom Torrisi of The Sports Network is calling the Packers the early leader in the clubbouse in his Day 1 wrap-up.

Paul Needell of the Newark Star-Ledger thinks Raji is the perfect fit for the Packers and could develop into one of the best players out there under Capers.

Zach Kruse of The Bleacher Report tells Ted Thompson haters to pipe down and gives the GM an A for his first-round moves. Kruse says Thompson made the right move taking Raji over Michael Crabtree and predicts Wisconsinites will love Matthews.

USAToday.com's Nate Davis wonders who will be on the way out with Matthews on the way in.

Looking ahead to Day 2, The Sporting News' Russ Lande thinks Wisconsin's Travis Beckum would be a good fit in Green Bay.

Finally, M.A. Mehta of the Newark Star-Ledger sets the scene from the Raji household.