PDA

View Full Version : MCGINN--"PICK COULD BE CRABTREE IF HE'S THERE"&quo

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 07:31 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/43659322.html

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 07:33 AM
The chance of getting the best offensive player in the 2009 draft deserves its own thread. If we had a chance to land this superstud him and Jennings could make lights out most terrifying duo on the NFL for many many years to come.

For those who believe in BPA, ALL HAIL THE CRAB :!: :!: :!: if he's still there

Fritz
04-25-2009, 07:45 AM
I would like to comment on a different aspect of McGinn's article. In it, he makes confident assertions about the Packers' draft board: that Crabtree is #1 on their board, that they like Andre Smith better than Eugene Monroe, that if Crabtree's not there they want to trade down, that Thompson likes Maleuga, that they might try to trade James Jones this weekend.

That is very specific info - the kind I'm sure TT would not offer. So - either someone inside the organization has leaked the news to McGinn (and why?), or McGinn is stating matter-of-factly what he is surmising based upon bits and pieces of information - like a bird making a nest out of scraps.

So...which is it? Ideas, you JSO analysts (Patler, me, PB Max, Beuhler...??).

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 07:50 AM
I've heard from two separate reports from those covering the Packers that GB thinks Crabtree is one of the few special stars in this draft. One one more source from Green Bay that another poster listed.

I don't know about the other stuff; but McGinn would have some sources in the organization. Undoubtedly this is not info TT would give up...but he has a source or two.

That being said, this concept is pretty simple.

If we can get a player deemed to be a star, like Crabtree, we grab him. If not we try to trade down. It appears Bretsky and TTT are on the same page.

Fritz, you have jumped off the train and onto the big board PR mentality; and here I thought you were with me to the end :lol: :wink:

Fritz
04-25-2009, 07:55 AM
I'm not off the board, Bretsky. My post was about the validity of McGinn's suppositions.

But you know me, Brets, if Thompson really thinks the guy is superstar material, and Crabtree is sitting there at #9, well, by golly, if Teddy takes him, I'm good with it.

Many Thompson detractors keep insisting that the GM needs to land a "superstar" caliber guy. If Crabtree is that guy, then I'm down with it. That give Driver one more year here, gives MM a year to develop Crabtree, and so on. I don't agree with those who think a rookie can just step in and contribute. It rarely works that way. And even if it does, do you want an okay rookie who can step right in and play, say, right tackle, or do you want to wait a year and have a superstar on your team? You need both kinds of guys - solid guys and superstars - but the former is easier to find than the latter.

So I'm not off the train. But I'm not as hell bent as you are. If he's gone before #9 - as I strongly suspect he will be - I won't cry in my beer.

I will, however, cry like a baby with a dirty diaper if Thompson picks Everette Brown or Beanie Wells with his first pick.

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 08:05 AM
I'm not off the board, Bretsky. My post was about the validity of McGinn's suppositions.

But you know me, Brets, if Thompson really thinks the guy is superstar material, and Crabtree is sitting there at #9, well, by golly, if Teddy takes him, I'm good with it.

Many Thompson detractors keep insisting that the GM needs to land a "superstar" caliber guy. If Crabtree is that guy, then I'm down with it. That give Driver one more year here, gives MM a year to develop Crabtree, and so on. I don't agree with those who think a rookie can just step in and contribute. It rarely works that way. And even if it does, do you want an okay rookie who can step right in and play, say, right tackle, or do you want to wait a year and have a superstar on your team? You need both kinds of guys - solid guys and superstars - but the former is easier to find than the latter.

So I'm not off the train. But I'm not as hell bent as you are. If he's gone before #9 - as I strongly suspect he will be - I won't cry in my beer.

I will, however, cry like a baby with a dirty diaper if Thompson picks Everette Brown or Beanie Wells with his first pick.

Maybe I was wrong, but I thought you were off the Crab train completely

We're not taking E Brown with round one

I'm not on the Beanie or Moreno train but if TT thinks they are a future star I'd be OK

A Smith and Oher really scare me

I do think TTT needs to find a star. Long term a star.

I don't want a decent OT whose the fourth best OT on the board over a star

We IMO won't be in the top 10 many more times

Find us a perennial Pro Bowler :!:

Fritz
04-25-2009, 08:09 AM

Maybe I was wrong, but I thought you were off the Crab train completely

We're not taking E Brown with round one

I'm not on the Beanie or Moreno train but if TT thinks they are a future star I'd be OK

A Smith and Oher really scare me

I do think TTT needs to find a star. Long term a star.

I don't want a decent OT whose the fourth best OT on the board over a star

We IMO won't be in the top 10 many more times

Find us a perennial Pro Bowler :!:

Lookit Bretsky goin' BPA!!!

No, Brets, I'm good with Thompson having Crabs. I just don't think he'll be there. And y'know, a big ol' defensive end or a nose tackle would be nice. I'm a little scairt of the OT's available up at #9, though in a perfect world you draft your LT of the future today or tomorrow and let him sit and learn for a year behind Clifton.

The Leaper
04-25-2009, 08:17 AM
I really wouldn't want Crabtree...simply because we have 4 solid WRs right now. Crabtree doesn't help this team much in the next 2 years IMO...although he certainly could develop into a major factor down the road. WRs typically don't make huge contributions early on in the WCO.

Crabtree might be a great talent, but he also seems to have the Chad Johnson/Randy Moss/Terrell Owens complex. Hell, if we want another receiver that badly, trade the #9 pick for Boldin...who is a bona fide stud that we KNOW can play at a high level in the NFL, rather than just a guess.

vince
04-25-2009, 09:18 AM
I would like to comment on a different aspect of McGinn's article. In it, he makes confident assertions about the Packers' draft board: that Crabtree is #1 on their board, that they like Andre Smith better than Eugene Monroe, that if Crabtree's not there they want to trade down, that Thompson likes Maleuga, that they might try to trade James Jones this weekend.

That is very specific info - the kind I'm sure TT would not offer. So - either someone inside the organization has leaked the news to McGinn (and why?), or McGinn is stating matter-of-factly what he is surmising based upon bits and pieces of information - like a bird making a nest out of scraps.

I believe that whatever has been leaked to McGinn is exactly what Thompson wants to be leaked on the eve/morning of the draft. If Crabtree is reported by McGinn (of all people) to be his guy, then that means he is definitively NOT his guy. PATENTED SMOKESCREEN.

I remember a couple years back when it was reported the morning of the draft that the Packers were on the verge of striking a big deal to move up from 5 to get Reggie Bush. This was a smokescreen to throw teams off their real intent. There's no reason to believe this isn't the same thing. In fact, past evidence would indicate that it is.

Chevelle2
04-25-2009, 09:23 AM

I believe that whatever has been leaked to McGinn is exactly what Thompson wants to be leaked on the eve/morning of the draft. If Crabtree is reported by McGinn (of all people) to be his guy, then that means he is definitively NOT his guy. PATENTED SMOKESCREEN.

I remember a couple years back when it was reported the morning of the draft that the Packers were on the verge of striking a big deal to move up from 5 to get Reggie Bush. This was a smokescreen to throw teams off their real intent. There's no reason to believe this isn't the same thing. In fact, past evidence would indicate that it is.

Actually, that Bush proposed deal fell through at the last second, when Benson of NO backed out because he felt he owed it to the city of NO to take an exciting player.

FWIW - Crabtree and Jennings have the same agent. This sure wouldnt hurt. I mean, if TT is having trouble signing Jennings long term, I dont think he would draft a player with the same agent.

jmbarnes101
04-25-2009, 09:34 AM

The guy from nfldraftcountdown.com did his last mock draft and has us taking Everette Brown... in the 2nd round. I'd be okay with that. He has us with Monroe falling to us in the 1st.

Fritz
04-25-2009, 09:34 AM

Actually, that Bush proposed deal fell through at the last second, when Benson of NO backed out because he felt he owed it to the city of NO to take an exciting player.

FWIW - Crabtree and Jennings have the same agent. This sure wouldnt hurt. I mean, if TT is having trouble signing Jennings long term, I dont think he would draft a player with the same agent.

Chevelle, what's your source for that info on Bensen?

Vince, you are a sage media analyst, so I think - and hope - you are right. Not that I dont' like Crabtree; I don't like the idea of someone inside the organization leaking info that is true.

Or could it be...a double smoke-screen? It IS true, but in the past those leaks have been "planted" and have been false, so those analyzing TT will think, "aha, this is a planted leak and therefore isn't true," when in fact it IS true....!!??!?!

Ted, you wiley old goat.

RashanGary
04-25-2009, 09:44 AM
If I were teh Packers I would constantly, intentionally, leak false info to McGinn to make him look like more of an irrelevant douche than he already is :)

I have zero problem with talking heads. I don't use them for news. I don't like sportscenter, don't watch it, never will. The level they think on is so low, I can't possibly enjoy it. I expect more out of the writers though. For some reason, I expect them to bring me the news in an accurate, trust worthy way on a level that is interesting and relevant. To all sales people, I know you have to make a living, but the two jobs I respect least are pressure sales and journalism. As a whole, I think the whole setup promotes sneaky, low life behavior to make your way to the top. People tend to strive to be the best they can be, so in one of those jobs being the best they can be is really being the worst person they can be. Can't stand it. I don't hate people, I'm a liberal, but I don't respect them at all.

red
04-25-2009, 09:44 AM
if we draft crabtree then i would guess either nelson or jones is then traded shortly after

and

either driver is traded right away, or jennings is not resigned. jennings will soon be getting big time WR money. crab will get that by default by getting drafted so high. its very tough to juggle two high paid wr's

cpk1994
04-25-2009, 09:47 AM

So...which is it? Ideas, you JSO analysts (Patler, me, PB Max, Beuhler...??).The Crabtree stuuf he could have taekn from Wayne Larrivee. Everything else is your latter characterization.

The Shadow
04-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Crabtree-Free Zone!
Receiver is our deepest position. And do we really need a posse-totin', me-first attitude player on the roster?

Fritz
04-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Shadow, it wouldn't be the NFL if you didn't have at least one of those on your roster.

Freak Out
04-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Crabtree-Free Zone!
Receiver is our deepest position. And do we really need a posse-totin', me-first attitude player on the roster?

Plus he would probably freak going to GB. :lol:

digitaldean
04-25-2009, 10:45 AM

The guy from nfldraftcountdown.com did his last mock draft and has us taking Everette Brown... in the 2nd round. I'd be okay with that. He has us with Monroe falling to us in the 1st.

If that scenario falls, I'd be all for that.

Fritz
04-25-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm just not a fan of Brown. What can Brown do for you?

cpk1994
04-25-2009, 10:57 AM
No, Brets, I'm good with Thompson having Crabs.I curious to know you detirmined that Thompson has Crabs. :lol:

Packgator
04-25-2009, 11:02 AM
if we draft crabtree then i would guess either nelson or jones is then traded shortly after

It wouldn't be Nelson.

pbmax
04-25-2009, 11:05 AM

I'd say its real info, a planned leak. Knowing who is at the top of your board is not too revealing when you are picking 9th. Even if T2 lets this info out and trades down, no one is going to draw and quarter him for avoiding Crabtree (except Bretsky) for other needs.

2nd most likely is actual leak. Third is info from other scouts who have talked to Packer scouts and McGinn is surmising. I'd say the Crabtree piece is the most likely hard piece of data.

wist43
04-25-2009, 12:46 PM
I don't have a problem with Crabtree...

Unlike the rest of you guys, I don't see us as being legit contenders... we're too far away, and TT will never be in a rush... so 3-4 years down the line, maybe we will be good enough, and BPA regardless of position really doesn't bother me this year...

Unless it is at a ridiculously stupid position with the 9th pick... which, knowing TT is untirely possible :lol:

cheesner
04-25-2009, 12:54 PM

FWIW - Crabtree and Jennings have the same agent. This sure wouldnt hurt. I mean, if TT is having trouble signing Jennings long term, I dont think he would draft a player with the same agent.My recolection was that TT was asked after the draft if the Packers had any interest in trading up and he said he spoke with NO but did not have any serious discussions. I think the whole thing was an internet rumor. Perhaps from the now disgraced insider over at another site.

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 03:06 PM
NFL Network just predicted Eugene Monroe slips to GB and they draft him

I'm all for that

wist43
04-25-2009, 03:09 PM

I'm all for that

I'd be fine with that as well... hence, no chance it happens :D

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 03:18 PM

I'm all for that

I'd be fine with that as well... hence, no chance it happens :D

Historically this is an upsetting day for me

Odds are we take Andre Smith or M Oher since those two scare me

Jim Rome
04-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Jim Rome, "McGinn is major bunk, totally uncalled for. He says no way Crabtee last to 9, but yet has the Packers taking him. Totally WHAAACK."

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Bretsky's going to cry when TT passes on Crabtree.
:D

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 04:06 PM

YES I AM

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Pucking Turtle

vince
04-25-2009, 04:38 PM

YES I AM
Don't worry Bretsky. You can rest assured that McGinn isn't very happy about this either...

He's guaranteed to continue to "report" on the Packers with the same anti-TT bias he has been for some time...

PlantPage55
04-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Looks like McGinn is full of shit. Just like I suspected.

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 05:09 PM

YES I AM
Don't worry Bretsky. You can rest assured that McGinn isn't very happy about this either...

He's guaranteed to continue to "report" on the Packers with the same anti-TT bias he has been for some time...

perhaps I'm Bob McGinn :?: :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2009, 05:11 PM
This guarantees that Crabtree will be a bust--like Chad Jackson and Robert Meachem.

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 05:18 PM
This guarantees that Crabtree will be a bust--like Chad Jackson and Robert Meachem.

Perhaps

Or Perhaps he'll be one of the best and I'll be here to dog you guys forever :?:

SnakeLH2006
04-26-2009, 02:47 AM
I really wouldn't want Crabtree...simply because we have 4 solid WRs right now. Crabtree doesn't help this team much in the next 2 years IMO...although he certainly could develop into a major factor down the road. WRs typically don't make huge contributions early on in the WCO.

Crabtree might be a great talent, but he also seems to have the Chad Johnson/Randy Moss/Terrell Owens complex. Hell, if we want another receiver that badly, trade the #9 pick for Boldin...who is a bona fide stud that we KNOW can play at a high level in the NFL, rather than just a guess.

Great post....and thank god we didn't go all Crabby. Our top 5 wideouts are the best in the league. Thank god TT is me, Snake, else we would have done it. Who's bitching now about Raji and Clay? No one. Cuz we got 2 starters in our 3-4 to UPGRADE that goddalwful front 7. Quote the Snake...never more.