PDA

View Full Version : Feelings about Raji

Charles Woodson
04-25-2009, 04:29 PM
So i havent really studied the draft like i have in recent years but i think raji was a good pick... what about you guys? whats the overall consensus?

Partial
04-25-2009, 04:30 PM
IF he can play DE, than its a good pick. Otherwise, wave buh bye to Pickett, and then you're just adding a player to lose an already good player. Don't like it if he can't play DE.

KYPack
04-25-2009, 04:36 PM
IF he can play DE, than its a good pick. Otherwise, wave buh bye to Pickett, and then you're just adding a player to lose an already good player. Don't like it if he can't play DE.

He's a NT, 0 tech guy.

Get hip, P.

Freak Out
04-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Lets hope he works out better than the first DT TT took. :lol:

Lurker64
04-25-2009, 04:54 PM

He's a NT, 0 tech guy.

Get hip, P.

Capers is a master at weird defensive fronts (probably not on the level of Belichick or Shurmur, but just below it). I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him lined up next to Pickett or Harrell to shoot the B-gap on a somewhat regular basis.

But he's not going to be a full time end.

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Homerism aside, he's a B

Solid and safe pick for our needs

boiga
04-25-2009, 05:12 PM
I love this decision. Raji's got the potential to be Gilbert Brown redux. To have actual pressure up the middle on a regular basis will be a game changer.

Partial
04-25-2009, 05:15 PM

He's a NT, 0 tech guy.

Get hip, P.

I get that. Don't patronize me. How often do you think this guy is going to play??

wist43
04-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Sharpe posted this in the draft thread - don't know what site it is from, but I agree with these comments about Raji:

Height: 6-11/2 | Weight: 337 | 40-Time: 5.13
B.J. Raji | Boston College Eagles
Official Bio

Stars
Strengths:
Outstanding mass and bulk...Excellent strength...Stout at the point of attack...Can fill two gaps...Able to occupy multiple blockers...Tough, powerful and nasty...A beast against the run...Can really collapse the pocket...Able to penetrate and make plays in the backfield...Above average athleticism...Quick and agile...Pursues well and has a burst to close...Good instincts and awareness...Will offer schematic versatility.

----------------------------

You just can't find 6'1", 340 lbs guys with Raji's movement skills... I fully expect him to be one hell of a player.

He will also bring a lot of versatility... He can fill in if needed at DE on run downs; take on double teams at NT on run downs; and, provide penetrationa and pass rush from either DT position on passing downs.

Our defense just got better in both the short term, and the long term... love this pick.

Guiness
04-25-2009, 05:32 PM

He's a NT, 0 tech guy.

Get hip, P.

I get that. Don't patronize me. How often do you think this guy is going to play??

Not many on the forum can complain - he was the guy most wanted.

As far as Pickett, he's not a young guy anymore. Aside from Casey Hampton, who IIRC plays an inordinate # of snaps, I think having a 1A and 1B option at NT, rather than a 1 and 2 is important for the 3-4 D.

Brohm
04-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Great pick and he'll learn a lot from Pickett.

Guiness
04-25-2009, 05:42 PM
ok, so I'm looking at the picks already made...and here are a few thoughts:

Poor Stafford. You just have to think he won't survive there. His rookie deal will be nice, and maybe he can play sax to back up Joey in his current career as a jazz pianist.

Tyson Jackson all the way up at #3? Wow, did ANYONE call that? Kudos Waldo for trumpeting him.

Jets can't be happy with the way the Favre thing played out. Lose a high second for a one year rental, and now spend a top 5 to replace him.

DHB before Crabtree...have to wonder why. The foot?

Larry English in the top half of the first. I didn't see anything that predicted that. Listed as a DE as well? That he went before Mathews and Maualuga is surprising.

Forum choice, Oher, at 23. And listed as a guard. We'll see.

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2009, 05:44 PM

Ummm... Senile Al.

RashanGary
04-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Best Packer pick I remember. I've never been so excited about a pick. The trenches are soooo important and the NT is the center piece of every good 34 defense.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-25-2009, 07:25 PM
ok, so I'm looking at the picks already made...and here are a few thoughts:

Poor Stafford. You just have to think he won't survive there. His rookie deal will be nice, and maybe he can play sax to back up Joey in his current career as a jazz pianist.

Tyson Jackson all the way up at #3? Wow, did ANYONE call that? Kudos Waldo for trumpeting him.

Jets can't be happy with the way the Favre thing played out. Lose a high second for a one year rental, and now spend a top 5 to replace him.

Larry English in the top half of the first. I didn't see anything that predicted that. Listed as a DE as well? That he went before Mathews and Maualuga is surprising.

Forum choice, Oher, at 23. And listed as a guard. We'll see.

Couple of things:

1. Detroit..why won't he survive? Who says he is going to start right away. More importantly, until Millen, the Lions were at least an average club.

2. Jets. They are thrilled. They got Favre for one year..to promote and get their new stadium. Got fans into the seats. Got TV time. What's not to like.

3. DHB. Crabtree isn't fast like DHB. Oakland has good weapons short..they need to extend the defense. Crabtree wasn't going to do that for them. I"m not saying DHB is worth the spot...but, the logic of what they did is sound...now they have to execute.

4. English. SD badly needs a replacement if Merriman doesn't come back. No surprise that he went ahead of Mauluga...outside rushers usually go before limited ILB.

mraynrand
04-25-2009, 07:32 PM
I hope Wist is right. I hope Raj has 'penetrationa'

Partial
04-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Tyrone.. Crabtree is absolutely a deep threat. Jennings isn't a burner either. Are you saying he's not a deep threat?

oregonpackfan
04-25-2009, 07:46 PM
I think the Raji pick is a great one. While I have seem impressive highlight films of him what blew me away was the bit showing him doing a lateral agility drill at the combine. I was amazed with the foot speed and lateral movement for a guy his size! :shock:

Tyrone Bigguns
04-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Tyrone.. Crabtree is absolutely a deep threat. Jennings isn't a burner either. Are you saying he's not a deep threat?

Crabtree isn't a burner. His top end speed isn't there.

That isn't to say he can't get open or make plays downfield...but, he isn't a burner.

You really dont' know what you are talking about...crab is physical guy/power forward type receiver.

Partial
04-25-2009, 07:57 PM

That isn't to say he can't get open or make plays downfield...but, he isn't a burner.

You really dont' know what you are talking about...crab is physical guy/power forward type receiver.

Never said he was a burner. Said he was a deep threat. He can "extend the defense", like Jennings, who is not a burner, does.

Joemailman
04-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Raji will have number 90. Jerseys can be ordered. http://www.packersproshop.com/product/sku_f696e4c623a59550/09cfd5e236db2a1c/

cheesner
04-25-2009, 09:22 PM
You are bitching about the pick of Raji saying we already have a NT (even though he is getting old and had a down year last year) then you bitch that TT didn't select a player at the deepest position on the Packers, WR!

I knew a guy like you. He argued with everyone on everything. You could actually agree with him, and he would immediately change his position and continue to argue.

Harlan Huckleby
04-25-2009, 09:24 PM
I feel that "Raji" is an awfully foreign-sounding name. Has he been fully vetted?

Joemailman
04-25-2009, 09:26 PM
That's nothin' His first name is Busari.

Harlan Huckleby
04-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Busari Hussein Raji

RashanGary
04-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Holy shit!

Hi, HH

Harlan Huckleby
04-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Do you have "The Curse of Raji" trademarked yet?

Joemailman
04-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Busari Hussein Raji

Don't tell Tex.

Harlan Huckleby
04-25-2009, 09:38 PM
I think Raji is a good and obvious pick, BTW. They had to take him (or a top offensive tackle if available.)

I would have taken Crabtree, but that's just because I am a fan looking for sizzle.

The Leaper
04-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Absolutely love the pick...was the guy I was hoping we would get.

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 09:54 PM
I think Raji is a good and obvious pick, BTW. They had to take him (or a top offensive tackle if available.)

I would have taken Crabtree, but that's just because I am a fan looking for sizzle.

you'd have taken him too ? But we never agree on anything ? :lol:

swede
04-25-2009, 09:57 PM

U wuz lookin fo sizzle muh dizzle?

swede
04-25-2009, 10:03 PM
I thought Packnut made a good point about making the new DC happy with the two nice picks on D.

[Edit] I watched his highlights again. Wow! So what if he has a big mouth.

As I mentioned around the time of the combines, this guy played for Jeff Jagodzinski at BC and Jeff is no longer there. So TT and the scouts would have had the bext possible source for vetting fatty's character.

Jim Rome
04-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Jim Rome, "I think that the Packers could have had Raji with trading down. Just my call. Other than that, I don't think it was a bad pick. Was it a need? Yes, the defensive line does need to have upgraded depth, whether Raji and Pickett share the rotation the bottom line is it strengthens the front seven."

SnakeLH2006
04-26-2009, 02:10 AM
What's Snake feelings about the pick? Hmmm....Hard to put in 2 words but...

FUCK YAYYYAAYYAAYAAEEEAHAHHHHAAHAHHHAHHHHHHH!!! :D

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2009, 02:41 AM

Jennings isn't a burner? He ran 4.42 coming out. That's well above average.

http://www.thehogs.net/Draft/combine/2006CombineResults1.php

I don't think even Crabtree thinks he'd run a 4.5. I'm not doubting his talent--as I think he's a heck of a WR, but just remarking on your burner comment.

Partial
04-26-2009, 02:51 AM
I don't think either of them are burners. Jennings is game fast like Crabtree. Both seem to be the fastest guy on the field. I'm surprised Jennings had that fast of a 40. Thought he wasn't known for burning speed.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2009, 02:58 AM
I don't think either of them are burners. Jennings is game fast like Crabtree. Both seem to be the fastest guy on the field. I'm surprised Jennings had that fast of a 40. Thought he wasn't known for burning speed.

Kind of funny that in that draft, of all the guys that tested, the two fastest in the cone drill at WR were Greg Jennings and Will Blackmon. Waldo should put that in his vast spreadsheet.
:D

Tyrone Bigguns
04-26-2009, 06:47 PM

Never said he was a burner. Said he was a deep threat. He can "extend the defense", like Jennings, who is not a burner, does.

That isn't extending the defense..that is making plays.

He isn't a downfield threat...catching the ball 40 plus yards on the fly. Sorry, but that is the truth.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-26-2009, 06:49 PM

Never let the facts get in your way. That you are surprised is no suprise to the rest of the forum.
:lol: :lol:

Partial
04-26-2009, 07:20 PM

Never let the facts get in your way. That you are surprised is no suprise to the rest of the forum.

Still... 4.45 isn't burner fast imo. It's good NFL receiver fast. Crabtree will be a 4.5 guy. You don't need spectacular speed to get deep imo.

bobblehead
04-26-2009, 08:42 PM
AJ Smith was quoted on the JSO PI section "He is special" That was it. I love AJ as a talent evaluator, but from that one line quote I wonder...was he being sarcastic?

Sorry I posted this in the mathews thread by accident first.

pbmax
04-26-2009, 08:42 PM
If T2 didn't draft for his Head Coach's needs the first four years, why would he draft for his D Coordinator's needs in year 5?

More than likely is that his picks, this year, matched the wish list that everyone had drawn up. If Raji had left a year early or had been gone, everyone would still be screaming at the BPA approach.

Unless you know what his board looks like, we'll never know. But I am glad Raji was available. And while the price for Matthews was steep, I am also glad T2 thought that his front seven could use the help. I was beginning to suspect he and McCarthy had gone gaga over the guys still here on D.

If Jenkins can put in a full year, we might make a go of this thing.

RashanGary
04-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Using the words of Wist, I'm still "giddy" about this pick. I really don't think that will go away unless he screws up and gets booted out of the NFL.

To me, this pick reminds me of the Vikes getting AP at #7. I think this guy is great. I think he's a rare difference maker. I think our team will be instantly better and stay better for many years because of this pick.

Joemailman
04-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Seeing the words "Wist" and "giddy" in the same sentence will take some getting used to.

MJZiggy
04-27-2009, 05:54 AM
A lot of getting used to actually...

Tyrone Bigguns
04-27-2009, 05:30 PM

Still... 4.45 isn't burner fast imo. It's good NFL receiver fast. Crabtree will be a 4.5 guy. You don't need spectacular speed to get deep imo.

It is always your opinion..yet, the scouts and gms feel differently.

Yes, you can get deep without speed..but, it is easier to do with it...and you dont' need the other skills. Crabtree's speed allows guys like Malcom Jenkins to run stride for stride with him.

BTW, who is 4.45...Bey is 4.3 at the combine.

BobDobbs
04-27-2009, 07:20 PM
It's an interesting debate. I think you have to agree that speed helps you get deep. I mean that's why they call the 40 the dash for the cash, because your draft status will move up. I think that there is more to getting behind people than just speed. Sterling Sharpe would get deep on people not through speed, but because he would beat them at the line and he was dangerous anywhere on the field so you have to honor that.

So, yeah really good receivers beat people all over the field, but it really helps if you can run faster than the guy covering you. Bill Schroeder and Cory Bradford could take people deep. Ruvell Martin cannot.

CaliforniaCheez
04-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Raji > Gilbert Brown

The question is if he has the heart and passion for football that Gilbert had.

We will only know when some adversity hits him.

Partial
04-27-2009, 08:35 PM
It is always your opinion..yet, the scouts and gms feel differently.

Yes, you can get deep without speed..but, it is easier to do with it...and you dont' need the other skills. Crabtree's speed allows guys like Malcom Jenkins to run stride for stride with him.

BTW, who is 4.45...Bey is 4.3 at the combine.

If scouts think 4.45-4.5 is burner fast, then why didn't senile Al take Crabtree :wink:

You said this:
3. DHB. Crabtree isn't fast like DHB. Oakland has good weapons short..they need to extend the defense. Crabtree wasn't going to do that for them. I"m not saying DHB is worth the spot...but, the logic of what they did is sound...now they have to execute.

There is not a doubt in my mind that Crabtree stretches a defense. Looking at strictly timed fast track linear speed is not enough.