PDA

View Full Version : Busari Junior Raji - PROFILE

Sparkey
04-25-2009, 06:31 PM
From Packer Report magazine's predraft feature on Raji

Three teams run the 3-4 defense better than anybody. What do they all have in common? Dominating, offensive linemen-eating nose tackles.

The New England Patriots have 325-pound Vince Wilfork. The Pittsburgh Steelers have 325-pound Casey Hampton. The Baltimore Ravens have 345-pound Haloti Ngata.

Many NFL insiders think Boston College’s B.J. Raji will join that small group of big men. Raji, who tipped the scaled at 337 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, is a sure-fire top-15 pick. Because he’s head and shoulders (and midsection) better than the other nose tackle prospects, Raji figures to go in the top 10, or maybe even the top five. If he’s still on the board at No. 9, he’d be a perfect fit for the Packers as they implement a 3-4 scheme.

“The one thing is to make sure he doesn’t stop by too many restaurants once he gets that contract,” Boston College defensive line coach Jeff Comissiong said. “But B.J. is a unique player. He can fit a number of different systems. There are not too many guys his size who can move around as well as he can. He can control a gap with his size and strength, and he can hold his own at the point as a nose tackle. Us as coaches, we don’t get too many players like that.”

In a 3-4, everything starts with the nose tackle’s ability to control the line of scrimmage. If he can be blocked, teams will have success running ball and will be able to stay out of certain passing situations, where 3-4 teams create the most havoc. Raji is big and strong enough to control the run. Plus, he had eight sacks during his senior season, so he has value even on third-and-long.

Asked at the Scouting Combine to state his case to NFL general managers, Raji said: “I think they’ll get an overall defensive tackle who can do both — get to the quarterback, stop the run. A team leader by example, a good guy on and off the field.”

Because Raji didn’t have enough credits, he wasn’t allowed on the field on game days in 2007. He considered entering the 2008 draft, but elected to buckle down on his classwork and in the weight room while giving it his all on the scout team at practice. He came back in 2008 with a vengeance and is a changed man.

“He won’t ever not handle things the right way,” Comissiong said. “He will handle things well in the public. He will always conduct himself as a man. Now, B.J. knows when to take things seriously and when not to. But he wants to play football, and that is his No. 1 focus.”

Raji’s hunger is evident. While being mentioned as a top-10 prospect might lead some players to think they’ve made the big-time and to ponder just how they’ll spend that $10 million signing bonus, Raji remains grounded.

“I haven’t accomplished anything yet,” said Raji, who sounded enthusiastic when the Packers’ need for a nose tackle was mentioned. “It feels good to know that I can play and my intensity and work ethic has paid off to some extent. I’m not done yet, but the feedback from my coaches and scouts is the most rewarding. They’re not going to lie to the coaches.”