PDA

View Full Version : Clay Matthews

RashanGary
04-25-2009, 07:43 PM
When Greene was hired, he said 3-4 OLBs do three things:

1. Defend the run at the point of attack
2. Rush the passer
3. Drop into flats and short zones

We talked about Kampman being dominate at two (stopping the run and rushing the passer), but probably struggling when dropping into coverage.

Listening to Thompson at his press conference, he talked about what Matthews does well. He said he's a good pass rusher. He said he was good at dropping into coverage. The thing that surprised me about Matthews with his average size 240 lbs was that he excelled at taking on blockers at the point of attack. Thompson said he he can fight through blocks and stay on his feet in situations that most LBS cannot.

Anyway, Thompson went on to describe a player that fit exactly what Kevin Greene described as a 3-4 outside linebacker.

Kampman is a star pass rusher and better than just about any LB in the league at shedding blocks and taking on blocks at the point of attack. He's going to dominate in two of the three fazes. However, he'll probably struggle in coverage. A good coach would probably have him rushing the passer and stopping the run more than dropping into coverage. Having a more complete player on the other side is going to allow Capers the flexibility to keep Kampman doing what he does best most of the time and he'll still be able to mix Matthews into the pass rush because Matthews is really good at that too.

I was not excited at first glance. I'm more excited after having heard about him from Thompson and having read about him a little more.

RashanGary
04-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Haha. I just heard Greene talking about the job description again. Same description. Said this guy is physical at the point of attack. Said he's physical and strong off the edge. Said the drops and coverage is going to be the biggest learning curve. Sounds like Matthews is a physical player.

Partial
04-25-2009, 07:45 PM
I've only seen him play twice, but I thought he looked very good in the USC/OSU game. I recall him lining up at right DE for USC in that game. I think they play several hybrid fronts, though. He looked very fast and good. He blew past the OSU LT on multiple occasions in that slaughtering.

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 07:46 PM
The JS Blog does a nice job summing up TT's points as well

He's ranked by most as a top 20 player. I do think we gave up too much.

However

If we got two of the top 20 players in college football things are really looking up with this defense.

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 07:46 PM
and he's a Packer Person

oregonpackfan
04-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Living out here on the West Coast, I saw him not only on the nationally televised games but saw him play against Oregon and Oregon State.

This guy is highly impressive with his physical skills. He also brings a strong toughness you want in a linebacker.

I think this is a great pick for the Packers.

RashanGary
04-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Said he was a physical pass rusher, not finesse. Said he was lookign for physical kids. Said this guy is going to put his face into the blockers. Said when you establish that physical presence, everything else you do becomes that much better. Said this guy played like that. Said he's going to be a physical pass rusher.

Haha. Made me sort of pumped. Can't wait to see Kamp run face up right into an OT at full speed. This is going to be a fun season.

RashanGary
04-25-2009, 07:54 PM
The JS Blog does a nice job summing up TT's points as well

He's ranked by most as a top 20 player. I do think we gave up too much.

However

If we got two of the top 20 players in college football things are really looking up with this defense.

Thompson siad it's not about that value chart. Said it was a starting point. Said it's about how much you like the player. If Thompson felt he was a top 15 player, then he got a steal. Thompson said he thought he got the better end of the deal. Said he felt good about the trade. Said he didn't give up too much based on the quality of the player. For what it's worth.

RashanGary
04-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Come on, B.

We just added two first round defenders to fit our new pressure defense. We got the center piece, a rare NT that can stuff the run and rush the passer. We got a nasty OLB that can excel in all phases of the game (including ST's).

Let's not get all gloom and doomy. It's an exciting day to be a Packer fan. It was great listening to Greene.

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Yo; I'm not doom and gloom; here was my last comment

RashanGary
04-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Packer scout said Matthews has a big frame. Said if they let him go, he could weight 270, 280.

RashanGary
04-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Scout said Matthews always stood out, even in that talented defense. Said he could play inside or out. Said he was a hard worker, wanted to establish his own identity. Scout said he admired that.

red
04-25-2009, 08:08 PM
i'm starting to come around on the pick

but man, i really hate all that we gave up to get him

TT really must think we're just fine at DE and on the o-line

which scares me

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 08:09 PM
If I recall right Matthews was not a starter until a LB went down in game one or two of his senior year. To me that's odd. At minimal the guy greatly capitalized on his opportunity and should be able to develop more as well.

Everything I read about him pre draft was great person and a guy that was a great leader; gotta trust the scouts and with what GB gave up you have to believe these two should significantly upgrade our defense :!:

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 08:10 PM
i'm starting to come around on the pick

but man, i really hate all that we gave up to get him

TT really must think we're just fine at DE and on the o-line

which scares me

or he fell in love with Matthews

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Tre Wingo taunting Clay Matthews as the top LB between the three

Joemailman
04-25-2009, 08:26 PM

Do you mean touting?

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 08:29 PM

Do you mean touting?

oops; yup

pbmax
04-25-2009, 08:46 PM
My concern is the same as Bretsky, the price.

Also Mayock on NFLN had tape of him at Senior Bowl where he had trouble with his hand placement (always dropped them low before contact) and was therefore not able to cleanly shed blocks.

That is a technique I imagine he can pick up from AK and Greene, but he doesn't have it yet.

Its not that I don't think he is a good addition, but if he is not finished and could not get on the field at USC, then why grab him at 26?

gbpackfan
04-25-2009, 09:07 PM
My concern is the same as Bretsky, the price.

Also Mayock on NFLN had tape of him at Senior Bowl where he had trouble with his hand placement (always dropped them low before contact) and was therefore not able to cleanly shed blocks.

That is a technique I imagine he can pick up from AK and Greene, but he doesn't have it yet.

Its not that I don't think he is a good addition, but if he is not finished and could not get on the field at USC, then why grab him at 26?

Because it wasn't going to be there at 41. You want a player, you go get him! Isn't that what fans have been yelling at TT for NOT doing? Now he does it and some of you still hate on him. The guy can't win. I'll trust TT knows more about this guy then we do. I do know he was ranked very, very high before the draft.

Harlan Huckleby
04-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Scout said Matthews always stood out, even in that talented defense.

Scouts said Jamal Reynolds stood out too. A can't-miss demon coming off the edge.

Matthews is the 26th pick in the draft, nothing more or less. I don't like giving up 3 high draft picks for ANY player, the odds are against you.

When, oh when will Thompson learn the wisdom of trading down.

oregonpackfan
04-25-2009, 09:38 PM
The Matthews family has a long line of great football players.

Another Matthews to watch is Casey Matthews who just completed his sophomore year of playing linebacker for the Oregon Ducks. He finished as the sixth leading tackler.

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=1149796

Fritz
04-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Guess Ted didn't go ga-ga over Connor Barwin, who would have been available to GB at their original second round spot.

I'm guessing TT has a few fourth/fifth round-type OT's in mind - someone he can sit for a year behind Cliffy.

I'm guessing he'll be wanting to pick up a corner, perhaps, too?

BTW, the Lions did well by getting Delmas at the beginning of round two. Outside of Stafford, they did well today.

The Queens...Percy Harvin - we'll see. I hear he may have some "issues," but we'll see. He's gonna be hard to tackle, that's for sure.

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Guess Ted didn't go ga-ga over Connor Barwin, who would have been available to GB at their original second round spot.

I'm guessing TT has a few fourth/fifth round-type OT's in mind - someone he can sit for a year behind Cliffy.

I'm guessing he'll be wanting to pick up a corner, perhaps, too?

BTW, the Lions did well by getting Delmas at the beginning of round two. Outside of Stafford, they did well today.

The Queens...Percy Harvin - we'll see. I hear he may have some "issues," but we'll see. He's gonna be hard to tackle, that's for sure.

I would not mind seeing TT nab the top FB and Punter; both should be available. From there it's anybodies guess

Fritz
04-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Is the fullback that Fiamelli guy, or whatever that is?

As for punters, I'm in the Durant Brooks camp.

Did the Bears draft anyone today?

The Leaper
04-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Ted has picked about 900 guys in his tenure in Green Bay in the 3rd round and later...and doesn't really have all that much to show for it.

Standing pat and taking BPA isn't a way to build a team...you need to identify guys who fit what you need and place a value on them, then go after those guys when you have the chance.

Thompson made the right move IMO...that doesn't mean it will pan out, but I like taking the bold move when you have many areas on the roster that are pretty well settled. Why add 15 more players from the draft when we don't have space for more than probably 5-6 guys to make the final roster?

digitaldean
04-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Is the fullback that Fiamelli guy, or whatever that is?

As for punters, I'm in the Durant Brooks camp.

Did the Bears draft anyone today?

Nope they traded out. 2 3rds, 2 4ths, 2 5ths, 1 6th and 2 7ths

Freak Out
04-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Come on, B.

We just added two first round defenders to fit our new pressure defense. We got the center piece, a rare NT that can stuff the run and rush the passer. We got a nasty OLB that can excel in all phases of the game (including ST's).

Let's not get all gloom and doomy. It's an exciting day to be a Packer fan. It was great listening to Greene.

Plus Harrell is going to come back strong and thrash some people. :)

BZnDallas
04-25-2009, 11:18 PM
GEEEZ!!! Kevin Greene is INTENSE!!... i just watched the video of him at the podium after the C. Mathews pick... i really like this hire by TT, MM and Dom... i think he is going to be a hell of a OLB coach... i'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do with Clay and Kampy...

Damn September can't get here fast enough!!!

Cheesehead Craig
04-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Watching the highlight tapes of Matthews (yes, I know that just shows the good stuff), I'm really impressed with his closing speed. When he sees he's got a shot at a play, he just seems to kick in another gear.

Plus, anyone who can walk on at USC and eventually make the starting roster and be a standout like him is impressive as hell just with that.

Noodle
04-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Ted has picked about 900 guys in his tenure in Green Bay in the 3rd round and later...and doesn't really have all that much to show for it.

Standing pat and taking BPA isn't a way to build a team...you need to identify guys who fit what you need and place a value on them, then go after those guys when you have the chance.

Thompson made the right move IMO...that doesn't mean it will pan out, but I like taking the bold move when you have many areas on the roster that are pretty well settled. Why add 15 more players from the draft when we don't have space for more than probably 5-6 guys to make the final roster?

Leap, we are thinking exactly alike. This was good work by TT, even if the draft chart would say otherwise. And sure, there's a good chance one or both of the guys isn't all that, but by gosh we gave it a real shot.

I'm actually kind of excited about seeing what these guys bring to the table at training camp.

When's the last time you said that after a Packer draft?

SnakeLH2006
04-26-2009, 12:53 AM

Leap, we are thinking exactly alike. This was good work by TT, even if the draft chart would say otherwise. And sure, there's a good chance one or both of the guys isn't all that, but by gosh we gave it a real shot.

I'm actually kind of excited about seeing what these guys bring to the table at training camp.

When's the last time you said that after a Packer draft?

Agree with both of ya...Snake is P.U.M.P.E.D.!!! :D Snake has no qualms with TT sending those picks to NE as it's really moot considering trade values...It looks like alot on paper, but really trading a two, 2 threes, for a top guy at one, and a 5th is like losing a 3rd and a 7th for a guy who Snake really likes.

Not to mention he'll supplant Poops (thank you Jesus) as a guy who will be at least as good as AJ has been so far. Good ass trade for a guy TT and Snake like. Dude is a smart gamer..and is athletically jacked (ran a 4.58 at 240 and JSO projects him at 270-280 lbs. down the line...WTF...read it...it's on there).

At the min. Matthews was a ST beast and then some, and looking at his hilites and scouting reports, he really looks the gamer. At least, he's a HUGE fucking upgrade over Poops...and prob. starts in 2009 across Kampy at OLB.

Plus, who, and Snake can't think of any guys who had such success with his uncle and father being guys who played for 20 years in the NFL (and our pick was asked the same question) who can play that long, and he said he'd love it. GAMER. Athletically stacked and jacked. Loves football, smart, etc.

The only thing Snake wondered about is that there's so many conflicting scouting reports (some say Matthews was the #3 passrusher regardless of position in this draft...some say he's a good coverage guy...some say he's got the pass-rush and has shit to learn on pass-coverage)..

Who the fuck cares? This guy is a hardcore football player on a great stacked team with 3 LB's picked today. He's gonna be no worse than AJ, maybe better.

Snake's stoked. Good pick for the value of player/pedigree we got. Our LB's are beasting now, which is a must have in a dominant 3-4.

A.W.E.S.O.M.E. :D

Lurker64
04-26-2009, 12:58 AM
Plus, when you talk about "getting the short end of the trade" , there's actually a lot of different ways to do the accounting here.

Nobody would have been surprised if Clay Matthews had gone as high as 15. If we had done the same trade and gotten to #15, nobody would have been complaining about losing out on the trade.

Even if you do the math based on the popular chart (which is different than the charts that teams use), we only end up losing by about a fourth round pick. When you consider that one of the thirds that we ended up traded came for a sixth round pick and the rights to a retired player, it doesn't look so bad.

So if you think about it like "We traded a second, a third, a sixth, and the rights to a retired hall of famer for the fifteenth best player in the draft and an extra fifth" it's not so uneven.

A lot of things are a matter of perspective.

Bretsky
04-26-2009, 01:19 AM
good spin but if we'd have done the trade and went to 15 we also might have, probably would have, taken a better player. To me you look at the facts.

I could also spin this that they could have kept their second and drafted Barwin, and then traded their two thirds for another second and Barwin, Raji, and the extra second might look better than just the two players. So many ifs.

Only real way to look at it is through the facts of what we gave up and got IMO

The_Dude
04-26-2009, 07:28 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4100869

Nice little interview from ESPN.

sheepshead
04-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Watching the highlight tapes of Matthews (yes, I know that just shows the good stuff), I'm really impressed with his closing speed. When he sees he's got a shot at a play, he just seems to kick in another gear.

Plus, anyone who can walk on at USC and eventually make the starting roster and be a standout like him is impressive as hell just with that.

Yep, his highlights were nice.. Couple of WOW plays. Did you guys hear TT played with his Dad? I had a mixed reaction to that.

wist43
04-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Plus, when you talk about "getting the short end of the trade" , there's actually a lot of different ways to do the accounting here.

Nobody would have been surprised if Clay Matthews had gone as high as 15. If we had done the same trade and gotten to #15, nobody would have been complaining about losing out on the trade.

Even if you do the math based on the popular chart (which is different than the charts that teams use), we only end up losing by about a fourth round pick. When you consider that one of the thirds that we ended up traded came for a sixth round pick and the rights to a retired player, it doesn't look so bad.

So if you think about it like "We traded a second, a third, a sixth, and the rights to a retired hall of famer for the fifteenth best player in the draft and an extra fifth" it's not so uneven.

A lot of things are a matter of perspective.

Yeah, but I wouldn't have been surprised if had still been there at our 2nd pick either...

I never really looked at Matthews b/c my attitude was, "let someone else make that mistake"... and of course he was projected to go somewhere at the end of the 1st, early 2nd... so didn't figure TT would be in position to even consider him.

All of that said, I never really looked very hard at him... but what I did see and read of him lead me to believe he was way overrated.

He's very thin in the lower body, got shoved around a lot in the clips I saw... don't think he has any chance to hold the point until he puts on some weight and gets stronger... looks like at least a couple year project to me at this point.

I'll give the pick a chance though, but that's mainly b/c I'm so happy with the Raji the pick :lol:

Joemailman
04-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Wist, I don't think there's any way Matthews would have been there with the #41 pick, because I think Belichick would would have taken him at #26 if he couldn't swing the trade. I think TT knew it, and that's why he was willing to give up as much as he did.

Harlan Huckleby
04-26-2009, 08:23 AM
It looks like alot on paper, but really trading a two, 2 threes, for a top guy at one, and a 5th is like losing a 3rd and a 7th for a guy who Snake really likes.

This sounds like Floyd the barber thinking out loud.

The talk that Clay Mathews was really the 15th player in the draft is groundless speculation. Some probably also think he was really the 50th best. Its not completely certain where Mathews would have gone if the Packers hadn't moved up. The best information is that Mathews is the 26th best player because that's where a GM took a chance.

The Packers gave two third round players for the privilege of moving up from #41 to #26. (The fifth round pick coming back counts ver little.) I think that's a little pricey. Not outrageous, but risky.

Joemailman
04-26-2009, 08:31 AM
It's not that pricey if you feel, as some do, that this was a fairly weak draft after the top 50. TT may have felt that the quality in the 3rd round wasn't much better than the 4th and 5th rounds. Besides, the packers are the youngest team in the league. At some point, having tons of picks becomes a case of diminishing returns. You can end up drafting guys who aren't much younger, and maybe aren't any better than the guys you have now.

Waldo
04-26-2009, 08:31 AM
It looks like alot on paper, but really trading a two, 2 threes, for a top guy at one, and a 5th is like losing a 3rd and a 7th for a guy who Snake really likes.

This sounds like Floyd the barber thinking out loud.

The talk that Clay Mathews was really the 15th player in the draft is groundless speculation. Some probably also think he was really the 50th best. Its not completely certain where Mathews would have gone if the Packers hadn't moved up. The best information is that Mathews is the 26th best player because that's where a GM took a chance.

The Packers gave two third round players for the privilege of moving up from #41 to #26. (The fifth round pick coming back counts ver little.) I think that's a little pricey. Not outrageous, but risky.

Crossing tier lines is expensive.

Team don't like to do it and need an offer they can't refuse.

jmbarnes101
04-26-2009, 08:34 AM

Yep, his highlights were nice.. Couple of WOW plays. Did you guys hear TT played with his Dad? I had a mixed reaction to that.

He played with his uncle and was sure he played against Clay but never actually knew him.

Harlan Huckleby
04-26-2009, 08:39 AM

Now this sounds like "step on a crack, break your mother's back." :lol: Do you really think GMs are superstitous?

I imagine GMs look strictly at draft position, don't give a hoot about round numbers. Maybe you are right somehow, maybe there is a lot of symbolism and irrational decision making, but that surprises me.

Harlan Huckleby
04-26-2009, 08:43 AM
It's not that pricey if you feel, as some do, that this was a fairly weak draft after the top 50.

I suppose this is possible.

I'm not sure drafts can actually vary that drastically from year to year. How could they? Just statistically, by the later rounds, its a significant sample of players selected from a population of 10,000 college athletes. How could that large population vary drastically from year to year? High sunspot activity in some years? Pussyfication of youngsters when Democrats are in office?

sheepshead
04-26-2009, 08:45 AM

He played with his uncle and was sure he played against Clay but never actually knew him.
roger that.

Waldo
04-26-2009, 08:47 AM

Now this sounds like "step on a crack, break your mother's back." :lol: Do you really think GMs are superstitous?

I imagine GMs look strictly at draft position, don't give a hoot about round numbers. Maybe you are right somehow, that there is a lot of symbolism and irrational decision making, but that surprises me.

Prospects are broken down in tiers by teams. Most trading is done within a tier, a team accepts a trade to move back to get lass variety, but isn't really losing much in the way of player value.

To cross a tier line however, a team is giving up player value, they are clearly getting lesser prospects with those picks. Teams don't like to do it and often require extra value to do so. 26 to 41 is a huge trade down for NE, they definitely crossed a tier line on their draft board.

I don't think that TT has dropped the tier value of any pick that he has traded back yet, just moving to later int he tier and getting less variety of roughly equal prospects.

pbmax
04-26-2009, 08:49 AM
I just get the vibe of desperation with this pick. The fact that a TV guy, Mayock, had Senior Bowl tape with Matthews having problems with his hand placement (they were always low and late) and shedding yet the Packers are raving about hand placement and his ability to hold the point of attack make me think they have talked themselves into this pick. My first considered reaction is that it was panic due to the defensive changeover.

I hope he continues to improve.

Harlan Huckleby
04-26-2009, 08:50 AM
To cross a tier line however, a team is giving up player value, they are clearly getting lesser prospects with those picks. Teams don't like to do it and often require extra value to do so. 26 to 41 is a huge trade down for NE, they definitely crossed a tier line on their draft board.

Oh, OK, I see what you were saying. By "tier" you meant players grouped according to similar value.

ya, I suppose NE might have seen a big drop in the there.

Fritz
04-26-2009, 08:53 AM
I'd be curious to know what trade value chart the Packers use. Here's the one from the NFL Draft Tracker: http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

Based upon that one, the Packers gave up the equivalent of an extra third round pick, about a 2/3's-of-the-way-through the third round type of pick.

But as I said elsewhere, TT must've really, really liked Matthews. An awful lot. TT could've waited and traded up for Barwin as well, who was evaluated as monstrously athletic but very raw. Hew could've waited and just took Barwin, but my point is that if he'd fallen in love with Barwin TT could've waited a bit longer, gave up far less, and still have gotten Barwin.

But he didn't. Thus, it sounds like TT and the scouts absolutely loved Matthews.

Let's hope he stays healthy. That's one of the big risks of trading up and giving up so much - if your guy doesn't pan out, you've lost not one player but theone or two others you'd have been able to draft.

sheepshead
04-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Dan Pompei Chicago Tribune-for what it's worth:

Packers: GM Ted Thompson was running the draft, but with the way it played out Dom Capers could have been. The new Packers defensive coordinator must have had some clout in the draft room because Thompson gave Capers a nose tackle in B.J. Raji and a pass-rushing outside linebacker in Clay Matthews.

Both were needs, but both also were value picks. The draft laid out very well indeed for the Packers, who unquestionably became a better team Saturday.

Waldo
04-26-2009, 08:55 AM
I just get the vibe of desperation with this pick. The fact that a TV guy, Mayock, had Senior Bowl tape with Matthews having problems with his hand placement (they were always low and late) and shedding yet the Packers are raving about hand placement and his ability to hold the point of attack make me think they have talked themselves into this pick. My first considered reaction is that it was panic due to the defensive changeover.

This is the same Mayock that is firmly convinced that Robert Ayers, a guy with marginal athleticism, poor production, off the field and motivation issues is the best defender in the draft.

You can't teach a 240+ lb guy to run a 10 yd split <1.5. The only pass rusher in the league in any form of defense that I am aware of that had a faster split than Clay is Freeney. You can teach a guy hand technique.

Clay did have some good looking pass rush moves at the Senior Bowl, most were shocked at how smooth he was with them.

Packnut
04-26-2009, 08:58 AM
but he had the best 10-yard split of any rush linebacker prospect at the scouting combine and will immediately threaten for the team lead in sacks

The above is an MSNBC analysis.

Harlan Huckleby
04-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Let's hope he stays healthy. That's one of the big risks of

Ya, this is my problem with effectively trading 3 players for 1. If Clay Mathews breaks an ankle this summer, its the equivalent of three guys breaking their ankle.

Wait a minute, now I'm the one who sounds like Floyd the Barber.

Let me attempt a recovery: even if you can predict how good a player is going to be, injuries will occur randomly. So in a violent sport like football, you need to spread out your risks, not put too much value in a single player.

Fritz
04-26-2009, 09:01 AM

This is the same Mayock that is firmly convinced that Robert Ayers, a guy with marginal athleticism, poor production, off the field and motivation issues is the best defender in the draft.

You can't teach a 240+ lb guy to run a 10 yd split <1.5. The only pass rusher in the league in any form of defense that I am aware of that had a faster split than Clay is Freeney. You can teach a guy hand technique.

Clay did have some good looking pass rush moves at the Senior Bowl, most were shocked at how smooth he was with them.

Waldo, I know you were really high on Connor Barwin. How do you feel about the Packers passing up on Barwin and giving up both thirds for Matthews? You down with that?

pbmax
04-26-2009, 09:04 AM

You can't teach a 240+ lb guy to run a 10 yd split <1.5. The only pass rusher in the league in any form of defense that I am aware of that had a faster split than Clay is Freeney.

Yes, its hard to separate out wheat from chaff when I (or we) haven't seen this guy in actual games. I am not saying Mayock is the know all see all end all, but the tape matched exactly what he was describing, unlike several other instances where he was talking out of his posterior while the tape showing something completely different.

So that issue is one we need to see for our own eyes. Second is pass rush. From what I saw (agree with you), that was his positive and thought we reached to get both pass rush and the right body for OLB in this defense. But then Kevin Greene said he had a good base for pass rushing, but needed work here. he also seemed to imply that Matthews was farther along in holding the point that rushing the passer.

Now Greene is one person who could take a natural pass rusher and tell you without blinking there is room for improvement. You would have to believe #3 all time sack leader. But I have no feel where this guy is in his development, which is odd for a well covered first round pick.

As for Ayers, I posted that blurb a while ago. Mayock has a history of picking a couple guys and hitting on them (he was Ryan's biggest booster last year and loved Mayo) so I thought it was interesting, but he is probably wrong as often as teams are.

RashanGary
04-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Matthews reminds me a lot of Jordy Nelson (position difference aside).

Nelson was a late bloomer. He was a great kid, driven so succeed and earned every opportunity. He had a fantastic senior season. He's physically gifted with all of the skills that translate to his position. He's an old school, tough football player. That's my view of him. He's a great blocker. He almost seems to love it. He's blocks great on ST's too, which is a pretty tough job. He played reckless and tough in college too.

Matthews was a late bloomer. His dad coached him in high school and didn't even start him. He didn't get scholarships to any schools but JUCO. He walked on at USC and played ST's for three years. He finally got his chance because of an injury and had a great senior year. He showed all of the skills that translate to his position. He's a great kid and a hard worker, driven to establish his own name. He's a tough, old school football player. He plays leverage football, with nasty demeanor. Ted said, this guy can fight blocks and stay on his feet when most guys can't. Said he was remarkable on tape. This guy is a demon on ST's, loves to get physical.

Obviously different positions but I compare Jordy to Hines Ward in that he's a smart, tough receiver that can do it all. I don't really know who to compare this guy to, but he's a tough, nasty defender that can rush the passer and hold the point better than guys his size are supposed to be able. Any old school player like that, that's who this guy is like.

pbmax
04-26-2009, 09:06 AM
You are old for using this simile and I am old for getting the reference. :lol:

Fritz and Ras, are you with us? I know KYP and Shadow are in on the joke.

RashanGary
04-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Now Greene is one person who could take a natural pass rusher and tell you without blinking there is room for improvement. You would have to believe #3 all time sack leader. But I have no feel where this guy is in his development, which is odd for a well covered first round pick.

Pass rushing is kind of an art. The great ones seem to break laws of age and get better as they get older. Greene was a true master. Something tells me he has a pretty high standard when it comes to the art of rushing the passer. That impression you got could be more about Greene's high standard than how this guy compares to other rookies. That was the impression I got anyway. Seems like Greene thinks he can shape this guy into a brute, and isn't ready to anoint him anything until he works to earn it like the best players do.

Waldo
04-26-2009, 09:08 AM
I was higher on Matthews. I think that he's the only legit day 1 starter at WOLB.

He and English were 2a and 2b (behind Curry) as to my favorite 3-4 OLB's.

Barwin and Maybin were next.

English and Clay have things you can't measure (tough, relentless, drive, football IQ). Connor and Maybin are perfect specimens with a ruler and stopwatch, but don't quite have the "it" factor about them that Clay and Larry have.

I was resigned to the fact though that I couldn't have Clay or Larry in this draft.

wist43
04-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Wist, I don't think there's any way Matthews would have been there with the #41 pick, because I think Belichick would would have taken him at #26 if he couldn't swing the trade. I think TT knew it, and that's why he was willing to give up as much as he did.

Then fine... let them take him at 26.

There are an awful lot of good football players being taken in this 2-3 round range that TT spit on in favor of Matthews.

As I said, I haven't looked at him much b/c 1) I thought teams would value him in an area we didn't pick, and; 2) From what I did see of him, I thought he was being way, way, way overvalued.

He does look like he can press the corner, he has room to get bigger/put on weight, and he does seem to have upside... that said, if he doesn't get some sand in his ass, I see him getting run over quite a bit at the NFL level.

At this point he looks like a major project.

KYPack
04-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Mathews is a rookie LB with weak shed technique, eh?

That's only happened a few thousands time before. Hawk had very poor shed when he came in the league. Lots of rook LB's have the same problem. That's because you can get away with poor shed in NCAA ball, but you will get your ass handed to you in the NFL doing the same stuff.

Mathews will have one of the league's best position coaches in Greene. He'll teach him the proper way of getting off the blocks. Most rookies try to fend with one hand and burst away from the blockers. That won't fly in the big leagues. You've got to use both arms, hands up and ready and drive up from both knees. That also earns you a bust in the mouth many times, but that's why the give you big checks, now.

I hope this kid suceeds. We need a star, not "JAG".

TT went "all in" on this one.

I like it, but I'm nervous about the whole deal.

pbmax
04-26-2009, 09:12 AM
I was higher on Matthews. I think that he's the only legit day 1 starter at WOLB.

English and Clay have things you can't measure (tough, relentless, drive, football IQ). Connor and Maybin are perfect specimens with a ruler and stopwatch, but don't quite have the "it" factor about them that Clay and Larry have.

I was resigned to the fact though that I couldn't have Clay or Larry in this draft.
So you think its Matthews weakside and Kampman/Thompson/Popp strongside?

A while back, someone with the team mentioned whether they would flop ILB according to offenses strength. Does anyone remember or know if this will apply to the OLBs?

sheepshead
04-26-2009, 09:13 AM

That's only happened a few thousands time before. Hawk had very poor shed when he came in the league. Lots of rook LB's have the same problem. That's because you can get away with poor shed in NCAA ball, but you will get your ass handed to you in the NFL doing the same stuff.

Mathews will have one of the league's best position coaches in Greene. He'll teach him the proper way of getting off the blocks. Most rookies try to fend with one hand and burst away from the blockers. That won't fly in the big leagues. You've got to use both arms, hands up and ready and drive up from both knees. That also earns you a bust in the mouth many times, but that's why the give you big checks, now.

I hope this kid suceeds. We need a star, not "JAG".

TT went "all in" on this one.

I like it, but I'm nervous about the whole deal.

I still say the key addition this year is the entire defense coaching staff. I dont think we're as far away as the casual observer might have us.

RashanGary
04-26-2009, 09:14 AM
At this point he looks like a major project.

I agree. Seems like most 3-4 OLBs have a lot to learn though. None of the Steelers guys hit the field until years 2-5 in their development. It's not an easy job to learn.

They have to be tacticians with their hands, almost like a lineman. They have to be skilled pass rushers, like defensive ends. They have to be able to run and take angles like linebackers and they have to be able to pass cover on top of it all. It's a big load for anyone. He's also 22. He's got a big frame and plays bigger than his size already but has room to grow.

I'll agree that he's got a long way to go, but show me an OLB in this draft that can handle the point, rush the passer and cover right now. There isn't one there.

Waldo
04-26-2009, 09:15 AM

So you think its Matthews weakside and Kampman/Thompson/Popp strongside?

A while back, someone with the team mentioned whether they would flop ILB according to offenses strength. Does anyone remember or know if this will apply to the OLBs?

I doubt they flip the outsides.

Kamp has stated several times he prefers to play over the RT.

Which does fit the skill set better, most teams running strength is on the defensive left, often the worst run blocker on the line is the LT.

pbmax
04-26-2009, 09:16 AM

Can you improve shed demonstrably by improving hand technique? My guess is the answer is yes. I hope so.

Because if we have a personnel dept that can find guys who might have weaknesses, identify them and have them fixed by coaches, then we will look and play like geniuses.

KYPack
04-26-2009, 09:17 AM
I'll agree that he's got a long way to go, but show me an OLB in this draft that can handle the point, rush the passer and cover right now. There isn't one there.

Curry, mebbe?

RashanGary
04-26-2009, 09:17 AM
You listen to Thompson and Greene and they say this guys best quality is his ability to take on blocks. They say he's a natural leverage football player that can stay on his feet when others can't. He's also a big framed kid. He played DE and LB at USC. He's not going to be 240 forever. He's a ROOKIE!! Never played a down. Never saw an NFL weight program. Never went though a real, fulltime football season without extreme practice restrictions. These kids are not finished products.

gbgary
04-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Let's hope he stays healthy.

i'm more concerned about raji staying healthy than matthews. being in the trenches with all cut-blocks and the like.

RashanGary
04-26-2009, 09:20 AM

Curry, mebbe?

I know a little bit of Curry. I'm speculating here, but listening to Ted Thompson and Greene talk about Matthews and reading what I've read about Curry, I'd venture to guess we have the better pass rusher right now and the better point of attack run defender. Curry is a chase and drag down 4-3 LB. Matthews is a tough hybrid that can also cover.

Fritz
04-26-2009, 09:20 AM

Sure, Andy.

pbmax
04-26-2009, 09:21 AM
You listen to Thompson and Greene and they say this guys best quality is his ability to take on blocks. They say he's a natural leverage football player that can stay on his feet when others can't. He's also a big framed kid. He played DE and LB at USC. He's not going to be 240 forever. He's a ROOKIE!! Never played a down. Never saw an NFL weight program. Never went though a real, fulltime football season without extreme practice restrictions. These kids are not finished products.
He came to school as a 205 pound safety. I don't think he played a typical DE.

RashanGary
04-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Listening to Ted Thompson, he talks in terms of football skill. When Sitton came out, I was immediately a fan based on what Thomson said. Thompson said he was relentless blocker that didn't lose his battle. I don't know about you, but when I picture that, I picture a pretty fuckin good offensive lineman.

When he talked about Matthews, he said he was a natural, leverage defender that could hold the point and stay on his feet better than his peers. He said the tape was spectacular.

Thompson doesn't come out and say these types of things about every player. Patrick Lee, for example, didn't get a positive word from TT's mouth. Thompson trusts his scouts and I'm sure some picks are mostly on that, but you can tell when Thompson loves a guy. Thompson loves this kid. Thinks he's special. My biggest source of my opinions come from Thompson. He's cryptic and boring, but if you listen he says a lot from time to time if you know his patterns and when he's deviating.

Waldo
04-26-2009, 09:26 AM
He came to school as a 205 pound safety. I don't think he played a typical DE.

He played elephant OLB at USC (3-4 WOLB).

RashanGary
04-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Some places I read called him a DE/LB. Maybe that was their way of saying 3-4 OLB.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2009, 09:28 AM

Sure, Andy.

http://www.hss.caltech.edu/~chambers/floyd.jpg

falco
04-26-2009, 09:30 AM

takes a lot of guts to get your hair cut by a guy paralyzed on one side

KYPack
04-26-2009, 09:41 AM

takes a lot of guts to get your hair cut by a guy paralyzed on one side

The shows where he is standing up are before his stroke. After his stroke, they always show him sitting in the chair. I always wondered why the barber was sitting in the chair all the time.

And oh yeah, I'm old enuff to remember this show.

Hell, it was on PBS in Oshkosh!

falco
04-26-2009, 09:45 AM

Hey, I'm old enough to remember Matlock and Three's Company. That should count for something.

bobblehead
04-26-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm a day late and I only read page one, so forgive me if its been mentioned. BUT, I read that Mathews was also a phenomenal ST player. In TT's world that is always a bonus.

I also think we gave up a lot to move up, but this kid does seem like he does everything very well. Those kinds of players often get underrated, but not by TT. For those that complain about the TT way, you should love this new imposter....for my taste I would have rather stayed put and trusted him to draft a player.

Badgerinmaine
04-26-2009, 10:29 AM

Hell, it was on PBS in Oshkosh!

It was on in reruns for YEARS. And it's still got enough cultural resonance that one of the most watched videos of last campaign season was Ron Howard going back into his old Opie character to endorse Barack Obama with Andy Griffith (and as Richie Cunningham with Henry Winkler).

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2009, 10:49 AM
I went back and looked at the combine video of the LBs (Curry, Cushing, Rey M.) and DEs that were converting to 3-4 LB (Brown, Maybin, Orakpo, etc.), and I'll tell you what. Matthews really stood out. He looked like the best and smoothest athlete of the bunch.

You can find the links on packers.com under NFL.com combine videos ("Top Standouts"):

http://www.packers.com/draft/2009/

SudsMcBucky
04-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Why add 15 more players from the draft when we don't have space for more than probably 5-6 guys to make the final roster?

Man, I made this same argument last year. I like the move, even if it doesn't end up panning out. At least he's going after players that can make the roster and improve the team, in his mind. There are times to trade back and stockpile picks, and there are times where you finally start making your move and work up.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Looking at his combine workout, Matthews actually reminds me of Chad Greenway. They both looked like good athletes, very fluid. You can see they'll be solid NFL players, but both appear to be a little thin and need to put on weight. You can see that they both could start as rookies, but there best football will be in 1-2 years when they've put on 10 pounds or so. Where's Waldo? I wonder what the workout numbers for Greenway and Matthews (and Hawk) were. Would be interest to see how comparable they are.

Iron Mike
04-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Hell, I was on PBR in Oshkosh!

http://www.gpconservancy.org/files/u1/logoPabst.png

Oh, we always went to Tommy's on Irving and Main, 'cuz they had Michelob on tap.

Then we'd go to Marvin Gardens across the street. :P

Iron Mike
04-26-2009, 11:22 AM
BTW for those OOT, here's the local news coverage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y29PjaaY18

RashanGary
04-26-2009, 12:20 PM
I thought this was a really good question. Judging by the answer, it sounds to me like this guy is, first and foremost, gifted at getting after the passer and defending the run at the point of attack. On top of that, he can play in space. He sounds like a complete 3-4 OLB, a guy that can really open up this system for Capers.

(Are you sure he is not just a workout guy, and what convinced you of that?)

The way he plays. He plays the game remarkable. He's got some interesting traits that are not unlike his father, the Clay who played for Cleveland for a long, long time. He's got the ability to extend his hands and leverage against offensive linemen and stay on his feet in positions where most people wouldn't be able to stay on their feet. I just think he brings a lot to the table. He's accomplished certainly as a pass rusher and a run defender, but he's also athletic and can move and has a feel for space.

RashanGary
04-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Clay is one of those guys, Brian Cushing and Rey Maualuga got a lot of the press and there is actually another linebacker there that is a really good player that will be drafted, but the more you watch him the more natural he looks as a player. He's always on his feet. He has great hips and balance. He can use his hands effectively against offensive linemen and running backs.

Another good quote where Thompson talks about Matthews being good at taking on blocks. There are not a lot of guys that can play in space and also play with good base and leverage against bigger lineman. The Steelers have a bunch of guys that go 245 and can still handle bigger blockers. It looks like we might have at least one now too. This was a very important piece if we want to really run a 3-4 defense.

RashanGary
04-26-2009, 12:31 PM
For anyone that reads scouting reports and makes judgments, I suggest listening to TT. This is TT's super brief scouting report, but he said this guy can take on blocks. If TT says it, I believe it more than any media written report.

Packgator
04-26-2009, 12:36 PM
BTW for those OOT, here's the local news coverage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y29PjaaY18

Thanks Mike. Interesting for us not in the area to see the local coverage.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2009, 10:28 PM
I see you Waldo. What are the testing numbers on Matthews compared to Greenway? And Hawk just for kicks.

Waldo
04-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Combine #'s (H=Hawk, M=Matthews, G=Greenway, C=Curry):

Size (ht/wt):
H: 6'1", 248
M: 6'3", 240
G: 6'3", 242
C: 6'2", 254

Speed (40/10):
H: 4.59, 1.56
M: 4.62, 1.49
G: 4.76, 1.61
C: 4.52, 1.50

Explosion (bench/vert/long):
H: 24, 40", 9'7"
M: 23, 35.5", 10'1"
G: 16, 33.5", 9'9"
C: 25, 37", 10'4"

Quickness/COD/Agility (SS, 3C):
H: 3.96, 6.82
M: 4.18, 6.90
G: 4.22, 7.01
C: 4.51, 7.15

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Hmmm... a bit better than Greenway actually. Hawk's all-around numbers were awesome. I'm really expecting a bounce-back year out of him. I'm excited to see what a healthy set of LBs (Kampman, Hawk, Barnett, and Matthews) can do.

Cheesehead Craig
04-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Hmmm... a bit better than Greenway actually. Hawk's all-around numbers were awesome. I'm really expecting a bounce-back year out of him. I'm excited to see what a healthy set of LBs (Kampman, Hawk, Barnett, and Matthews) can do.
Especially with a defense designed to make the most of of their abilities and having Raji up front certainly won't hurt.

Partial
04-27-2009, 12:53 AM

No kidding. Hawk has some seriously beastly numbers. So does Curry. Those have to be some of the best numbers from LBs ever. One has to think they will use Hawk in coverage more than say a guy like Kampman. That would be playing to both of their strengths.

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2009, 09:08 AM

No kidding. Hawk has some seriously beastly numbers. So does Curry. Those have to be some of the best numbers from LBs ever. One has to think they will use Hawk in coverage more than say a guy like Kampman. That would be playing to both of their strengths.

Hawk is going to be ok. Hawk had a couple of nagging injuries last year, and for others they probably would have sidelined them for more than one game. The scheme of Bob Sanders pretty much made Hawk an unvalued player on this roster, why not go and get a couple of second day draft players and stick them at Will to eat up blocks? You don't need a 5th pick in the draft to do that.

Anyways, I hope Hawk has a breakout year and he isn't just protection for Barnett. Barnett is a good football player, but I don't think he is the talent that Hawk is, or for that matter Mathews.

Everyone is complaining about the trade up for Mathews. Thompson realizes that his roster is already full of 2 and 3 year players that are at the end of their developmental stage, and just adding 12 more picks to his roster is just going to muddle things up even more for his roster. The rebuilding stage and getting younger is over. It is time to add talented player that hopefully can contribute right away. If Mathews was rated that highly on TT's board then it was a good move. If Thompson had him ranked as the 15th best guy and he was still sitting there at 26 then maybe evaluated the trade from the 15th pick or 15th best player instead of the 26th.

I haven't followed the draft very closely in the last couple of years, well not like I used to, certainly I am not like Waldo who likes it as much as he does. I was there once but I realized this whole thing is a crapshoot and to invest so much time and energy sitting on the edge of my seat to see who gets drafted where and who the Packers pick is a bit of waste because I certainly can't predict who is going to be the next all-pro, and most of the scouts can't either, it is a game of probability.

Hopefully Mathews works out and it is a moved hailed as one of the best, but it has just as much probability that it will be a failure. Thompson will be the one responsible either way, but at least he had a the stones to make a move this year instead of twiddling his thumbs to wait if that player drops to him.

wist43
04-27-2009, 09:14 AM

Don't agree with the Greenway comparison... never thought he as athletic enough; although he has been a bit better than I thought he would be.

Same for Hawk... didn't want Hawk, saw him as JAG... which is what he is. Came around to accepting the pick b/c I figured he wouldn't be a bust.

Even though I'm a little skeptical of Matthews... I see him as having more upside than either Greenway or Hawk. Just may take him a few years.

RashanGary
04-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Even though I'm a little skeptical of Matthews... I see him as having more upside than either Greenway or Hawk. Just may take him a few years.

I agree. Matthews weighed 245 at the senior bowl. He'll probably gain a little more, then start losing it through TC and the season. He might finish the season round 240 or a little under. Not good enough, but he's a 22 year old. I'm not counting on him to be legit until next year (at earliest). He can be great on ST's right now though and he can start over our mediocre linebackers right now too. I just don't expect a world beater out of the gate. I'm in agreement with you there.

He has a lot of potential. He's got a big frame and for a guy who's as tall as he is (6'3") he plays with natural leverage in the run game (according to Greene and thompson). He's very fast off the line and explosive as a pass rusher. Hawk did nto take on blockers the way this guy does. Hawk does not have the length, power or explosiveness this guy has as a pass rusher. Clay has the skills. I like his upside and work ethic to achieve it. He's a rookie though. Last I checked, the Steelers haven't regularly started a rookie at LB in about 2 decades or so.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2009, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't write him off for this year. Both OLBs in the 3-4 scheme (the one that Pittsburgh runs, not the one NE runs) don't have to be 260-270 pounds. James Harrison is only 240 pounds. We'll see. I hope he's good enough to start in year one.

RashanGary
04-27-2009, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't write him off for this year. Both OLBs in the 3-4 scheme (the one that Pittsburgh runs, not the one NE runs) don't have to be 260-270 pounds. James Harrison is only 240 pounds. We'll see. I hope he's good enough to start in year one.

Good enough to start over Poppinga and who we have? Yeah.

Good? Very different from the first statement and probably no to this one.

I like him. I'm very excited to have a real 3-4 backer. Harrison is short and powerful at 240. Clay is a longer guy. He's going to need a little more weight. I could see him being very explosive, powerful and athletic at 250. I think that would be a great weight for him. Heavier than Harrison? Yeah, but he doesn't have the natural leverage. He's going to need more weight and power to anchor down in the run the way the stocky Harrison does.

We'll see. The kid is very explosive, fast and powerful for his size (and crazy). He could make some big time plays off the edge for us this year, especially as a surprise pass rusher (teams expecting to get Kamp, but getting Matthews). He's going to get slapped around by OT's a lot though. His technique and strength are both going to have to get better before he can secure that edge like I think we all want him to.

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2009, 05:41 PM
the thing that blew me away about Clay Mathews was that he was 160 pounds his senior year of high school. He walked on as a safety.

Thats dedication. Comes from a good family with wealth but he challenged himself and with hard work made himself into a legit football player.

3irty1
04-27-2009, 06:06 PM
I imagine that Clay will start immediately in the base defense. He compliments Kampman well. You've got to assume Kampman will rush the passer on almost every play so the OLB opposite of him needs to be able to cover but also have skill and upside as a pass rusher.

I have a hard time imagining Clay Mathews being asked to play as a down lineman at his current weight though. Perhaps they'll platoon him with Thompson or Hunter to take him off the field in nickle and dime packages. He could be a KGBesk liability against the run.

Lurker64
04-27-2009, 06:32 PM
He could be a KGBesk liability against the run.

At the same time though, it's a 3-4 defense. There's going to be 3 bigs in the middle doing most of the heavy lifting against the run. When KGB was getting run at, there were only 2 bigs in the middle. The fact that the pass rushers don't need to be stout at the POA is largely the point of the 3-4 from a personnel perspective.

Partial
04-27-2009, 08:42 PM
the thing that blew me away about Clay Mathews was that he was 160 pounds his senior year of high school. He walked on as a safety.

Thats dedication. Comes from a good family with wealth but he challenged himself and with hard work made himself into a legit football player.

That's the thing to speaks volumes to me as well. Gotta love this pick. Rich kid managed to make it on his own.

RashanGary
04-27-2009, 09:01 PM
In his first year, I think he's going to be a liability in the run game. There are only three DL. The linebackers, together, have to make up for that 4th guy. Every guy in this scheme with the exception of maybe one inside backer that will be free (I don't know why Barnett keeps getting the gravy, but it will probably be him).

This guy is going to be defending the run on the edge against LT's, TE's and FB's. Everyone is going to try to get an LT on this guy. They are going to want to bull him over and will bull him over. He's not strong enough yet.

He's a big framed kid though. He's a hard worker and has huge upside with his power, speed, explosiveness and attitude. He's going to get better.

More than we've ever seen from AJ Hawk and Nick Barnett (chase and drag linebackers), we're going to see this guy make huge plays. There are going to be times he gets a tackle off balance and muscles around the edge. He's going to jar some balls loose. He's an impact player. He'll get beat, but I think, for the first time, you're going to see some monster plays made by a GB linebacker. My only hope is that Barnett is gone, with Bishop or someone else starting. Barnett is "just a guy", coming of a major injury, that makes way too much money.

ThunderDan
04-27-2009, 09:05 PM
In his first year, I think he's going to be a liability in the run game. There are only three DL. The linebackers, together, have to make up for that 4th guy. Every guy in this scheme with the exception of maybe one inside backer that will be free (I don't know why Barnett keeps getting the gravy, but it will probably be him).

This guy is going to be defending the run on the edge against LT's, TE's and FB's. Everyone is going to try to get an LT on this guy. They are going to want to bull him over and will bull him over. He's not strong enough yet.

He's a big framed kid though. He's a hard worker and has huge upside with his power, speed, explosiveness and attitude. He's going to get better.

More than we've ever seen from AJ Hawk and Nick Barnett (chase and drag linebackers), we're going to see this guy make huge plays. There are going to be times he gets a tackle off balance and muscles around the edge. He's going to jar some balls loose. He's an impact player. He'll get beat, but I think, for the first time, you're going to see some monster plays made by a GB linebacker. My only hope is that Barnett is gone, with Bishop or someone else starting. Barnett is "just a guy", coming of a major injury, that makes way too much money.

I use to feel that way about Barnett until he went down with injury last year. I think he is a steady dependable LB nothing great but better than average.

RashanGary
04-27-2009, 09:08 PM
That had nothing to do with Barnett. That had to do with our DL that was already thin wearing down even more over the course of a season.

Two years ago we had one of the deeper DL's in the NFL and we won the most 4th quarter games. Last year we had one of the thinnest and we lost the most 4th quarter games. That 4th quarter crumbling had more to do with fatigue and lack of talent up front than it did with not having our best chase and drag linebacker.

ThunderDan
04-27-2009, 09:12 PM
That had nothing to do with Barnett. That had to do with our DL that was already thin wearing down even more over the course of a season.

Two years ago we had one of the deeper DL's in the NFL and we won the most 4th quarter games. Last year we had one of the thinnest and we lost the most 4th quarter games. That 4th quarter crumbling had more to do with fatigue and lack of talent up front than it did with not having our best chase and drag linebacker.

It had everything to do with Barnett. Jenkins went down but the D held together. Once Barnett went down the D blew-up after the first game out.

Like I said, I don't think he is great but I wouldn't get rid of him just to do it.

I am very happy we got Matthews. He looks like he really brings the lumber.

KYPack
04-27-2009, 09:49 PM

Yeah, I liked that stuff, too.

A little more on his high school career...

As a junior in high school, Matthews was 6-1 and weighed about 165 pounds. His body ached from growing pains and his father, the team's defensive coordinator, declined to start him. Matthews attended Agoura High School in Agoura Hills, California. Physically, Matthews was a late bloomer. His father was the team's defensive coordinator, but wouldn't start his son because he was physically undersized. Matthews began developing physically his senior season, but only garnered interest from Division I FCS schools and local community colleges
"His mom was giving me the business, but he wasn't ready," the elder Matthews said, chuckling. "He wasn't very big and he wasn't very strong."
Matthews continued to grow during his senior season but drew interest only from local community colleges. He opted to follow in his father and uncle's footsteps and attend the University of Southern California and take a chance at walking on to the team.

SnakeLH2006
04-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Everyone is complaining about the trade up for Mathews. Thompson realizes that his roster is already full of 2 and 3 year players that are at the end of their developmental stage, and just adding 12 more picks to his roster is just going to muddle things up even more for his roster. The rebuilding stage and getting younger is over. It is time to add talented player that hopefully can contribute right away. If Mathews was rated that highly on TT's board then it was a good move.

Exactly...Snake stated it was about a 3rd and late 7th loss to move up for Clay...Then Fritz stated the same with value numbers with the web link. Who cares? We got a NEED and VALUE player to START this year.

To those that said it's tough to swallow cuz he might get hurt (vs. 3 guys and spreading out that risk)...I advise you not to worry as his pedigree is such to play hurt/strong/a long time via his bloodline.

Good trade to get a starter to UPGRADE Poops OLB spot. Snake really like it.

mission
04-28-2009, 01:42 AM
JH, I agree with you on Matthews. I really think we're going to see out of him what we expected from Hawk. He's gonna be around the ball a lot, he'll force some fumbles, he'll pick one up for a TD, he'll jump a couple slants... it might take a little time but I see Matthews as this kinda player. His highlights show him as a disruptive SOB.

SnakeLH2006
04-28-2009, 02:06 AM
JH, I agree with you on Matthews. I really think we're going to see out of him what we expected from Hawk. He's gonna be around the ball a lot, he'll force some fumbles, he'll pick one up for a TD, he'll jump a couple slants... it might take a little time but I see Matthews as this kinda player. His highlights show him as a disruptive SOB.

Agreed...and that's why Snake likes Mission. 8-) A disruptive SOB with purpose...Good analysis, though.

mission
04-28-2009, 03:24 AM
A disruptive SOB with purpose...

Yalready know! :lol:

3irty1
04-28-2009, 07:58 AM

At the same time though, it's a 3-4 defense. There's going to be 3 bigs in the middle doing most of the heavy lifting against the run. When KGB was getting run at, there were only 2 bigs in the middle. The fact that the pass rushers don't need to be stout at the POA is largely the point of the 3-4 from a personnel perspective.

Only when in the base D. You start adding cornerbacks and the situation looks no different than it did with KGB asked to hold down a side.

Deputy Nutz
04-28-2009, 08:26 AM

Kampman is in reality a down lineman that will be asked to cover the flat a couple of times a game. He is going to be on the line of scrimmage quite a bit, or he will be out of the game. He may not have his hand down. but he is going to make the 3-4 look quite a bit like a 4-3.

pbmax
04-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Here is the video where Mayock gives the Senior Bowl tape a glance. I don't know his background, but my initial guess was [edit] that he is repeating what a scout told him the tape shows. Has to do with hand position, punch and playing on the line of scrimmage.

Somewhere, perhaps in another thread, someone said the OLB in a 3-4 doesn't have to play stout on the LOS. I think the opposite is true. All coaches mentioned that he could hold the point of attack. On the plus side, I will say that of all problems a LB could have, this seems correctable. Weight room, and break a habit. We were never able to make Torrance Marshall more alert.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ffbe64

pbmax
04-28-2009, 08:56 AM
NFLN had some slightly different numbers for 3 Cone and 40 times.

40 yds: 4.67
3-Cone: 6.92
Vertical: 35 1/2
Bench: 23
Weiht: 240 lbs
Height: 6' 3 1/8"

Combine #'s (H=Hawk, M=Matthews, G=Greenway, C=Curry):

Size (ht/wt):
H: 6'1", 248
M: 6'3", 240
G: 6'3", 242
C: 6'2", 254

Speed (40/10):
H: 4.59, 1.56
M: 4.62, 1.49
G: 4.76, 1.61
C: 4.52, 1.50

Explosion (bench/vert/long):
H: 24, 40", 9'7"
M: 23, 35.5", 10'1"
G: 16, 33.5", 9'9"
C: 25, 37", 10'4"

Quickness/COD/Agility (SS, 3C):
H: 3.96, 6.82
M: 4.18, 6.90
G: 4.22, 7.01
C: 4.51, 7.15

Chevelle2
04-28-2009, 08:58 AM
What WAS Torrence Marshall's problem? I was too young to remember.

The only thing I remember is that some fan called into Bill Michaels show and said how good he was at OU, and that we should get more playing time.

Waldo
04-28-2009, 08:58 AM

Only when in the base D. You start adding cornerbacks and the situation looks no different than it did with KGB asked to hold down a side.

But then they are in a passing formation not ideal to run out of, lacking a lead blocker to overload the POA. Often as well, at least with Pit, the team aligned like a 46 defense on the front line when in the 2-4-5 nickel personnel grouping, which is a run strong 4-3 alignement. Something along the lines of:

------TE---RT---RG---C---LG---LT---------
------SOLB---DE----DE-------------WOLB--
-------------------------SILB---WILB-------
----------SS---------------------------------

Seems like an odd alignment but it works well against the pass and run with the talents of the players. If they run to the strength of the formation, the defense has its beef over there and one of the SS or SILB has no blocker on him. If they run to the weak side of the formation, one of the linebackers has no blocker on him. They are also well positioned for either zone drops or man coverage (the SS on the TE), plus all sorts of wild blitzes from the formation.

You almost never see Pit run a traditional 4-2 out of the nickel alignment, like this:

---SOLB-------DE-------DE---------WOLB--
----------------SILB-------WILB------------

it just doesn't work to the strength of the players.

wist43
04-28-2009, 09:11 AM

The only thing I remember is that some fan called into Bill Michaels show and said how good he was at OU, and that we should get more playing time.

Athletically gifted... but was a knuckle dragging moron. Very low IQ. Really his problem was that he was just plain dumb.

pbmax
04-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Here is Mr. Matthews at the combine. He seems to have a half stumble in the 40, so he might be faster if this was his recorded time.

http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d80f2e421

My concern with this video is with the first agility test, when he was simply going left and right at the direction of a coach in front of him. He seemed slow to come to a dead stop and reverse field and his momentum. Like it took a definite braking step. I don't break down combine video often, so this maybe how it always looks, but it was the one thing I saw. He looked gone transitioning from lateral movement to dropping into coverage.

Waldo
04-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Here is the video where Mayock gives the Senior Bowl tape a glance. I don't know his background, but my initial guess was [edit] that he is repeating what a scout told him the tape shows. Has to do with hand position, punch and playing on the line of scrimmage.

Somewhere, perhaps in another thread, someone said the OLB in a 3-4 doesn't have to play stout on the LOS. I think the opposite is true. All coaches mentioned that he could hold the point of attack. On the plus side, I will say that of all problems a LB could have, this seems correctable. Weight room, and break a habit. We were never able to make Torrance Marshall more alert.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ffbe64

I don't understand why Mayock made such a big deal about this. It is ridiculously easy to fix via coaching.

The big one I'm concerned about is that Raji plays his man and will let his pads torque relative to the line in the name of defeating his man. Which leads to getting earholed and pancaked when a double is applied. Harrell did this too as a rookie, but his 2nd season he was much better at squaring up his pads to the line when playing his man and moving laterally, he was much better at handling double teams in year 2.

3irty1
04-28-2009, 09:42 AM

But then they are in a passing formation not ideal to run out of, lacking a lead blocker to overload the POA. Often as well, at least with Pit, the team aligned like a 46 defense on the front line when in the 2-4-5 nickel personnel grouping, which is a run strong 4-3 alignement. Something along the lines of:

------SOLB---DE----DE-------------WOLB--
-------------------------SILB---WILB-------
----------SS---------------------------------

Seems like an odd alignment but it works well against the pass and run with the talents of the players. If they run to the strength of the formation, the defense has its beef over there and one of the SS or SILB has no blocker on him. If they run to the weak side of the formation, one of the linebackers has no blocker on him. They are also well positioned for either zone drops or man coverage (the SS on the TE), plus all sorts of wild blitzes from the formation.

You almost never see Pit run a traditional 4-2 out of the nickel alignment, like this:

---SOLB-------DE-------DE---------WOLB--
----------------SILB-------WILB------------

it just doesn't work to the strength of the players.

Thanks for taking the time to write all that with the diagrams and such. I guess it wouldn't shock me if the Steelers put Harrison as a down lineman in a passing situation but would you expect the Packers to use their rookie that way? Even without a lead blocker that's a big assignment for a 240lb pass rusher.

Waldo
04-28-2009, 10:35 AM
The big difference is though the OLB's have T's on them, typically 3-4 defenses don't ask the OLB's to control 2 gaps, like is done with a 4-3 DE. The OLB's primary task is usually to prevent the back from going wide, a task they can excel at even with a T on them, as no T can move as fast as an OLB. KGB was fine for that, if that is all that was asked of him (he wasn't really any bigger than Matthews, playing in the mid 240's). The problem was he could be easily prevented from controlling the gap between the T and G, all undersized pass rushers/OLB's suck at controlling that gap. The 3-4 defense or 2-4-5 variants account for that weakness with the ILB's, DE's, and S's.

One of the 4-3 defenses big weaknesses is finding guys that can control both of those gaps and provide a pass rush. Those people are very, very rare. Gain the size to play the T-G gap, and they lose the speed to prevent the back from going wide and provide a fearsome pass rush. The Super Mario's, the guys with the size and speed to excel at both, are ultra rare.

sheepshead
04-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Sorry if this has been posted. Long read, but it looks like we done good! It's about USC's three linebackers.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1154750/1/index.htm

Deputy Nutz
04-28-2009, 01:53 PM
In high school. we used a "Michigan" 52 defense. You had a 5 man front but one of the ends was a "drop" on the weakside, and the other was a "rush" end on the strong side. This defense had a nose, a "loop" tackle and a "slant" tackle. each down linemen meaning the nose, and both tackles were responsible for only one gap. The ends main responsibility was contain, especially on the weakside. The rush end would have gap responsibilty on certain calls and then contain on others depending what coverage we were in. If the SS was in the box the rush end usually have "c" gap responsibility and contain would go to the SS.

This defense was completely flexible by alignment. In high school you are only blessed with so many talented kids so you didn't want to pull a defensive linemen to go into a 4-3, because that linemen might be better than your next linebacker on the bench. The "drop" end would become your 3rd linebacker and the line would shift to an even front. Same with a shift into a 4-4, both ends or in my case the nose tackle would become the 4th linebacker and then the line would shift to proper alignment.

In the passing game and in the base defense the "drop" end would recognize pass and float into his coverage of the flat, much like that of the of a OLB in the Packer new 3-4. The "rush" end went after the passer after jamming the tight end on the line of scrimmage in the base defense, much like what will be expect of Aaron Kampman. Sure with blitzes and different coverages these responsibilities would change, but the defense was very flexible.

What I have heard of the Packer coaches, they will be running a 3-4 scheme in a much more complicated but similar why to what we ran in high school.

The number one reason a team wants to run a 3-4 defense in the NFL is to mask where the pressure is coming from. Regardless how they line up it, pressure can come from any where without giving up coverage responsibility.

Like Waldo mentioned, th Steelers on passing downs would have guys moving around all over the place with sometime 2 down linemen, and sometimes with no down linemen. Good luck figuring out where the pressure is coming from with that.

MadScientist
04-28-2009, 02:18 PM

Athletically gifted... but was a knuckle dragging moron. Very low IQ. Really his problem was that he was just plain dumb.
Didn't he have a single digit Wonderlic score? My reaction to the pick at the time was 'the second coming of Jude Waddy'.

Jude Waddy was dumb as a post. His only value was that he took over for an injured Brian Williams in 1999 and helped Ray Rhodes out the door.

pbmax
04-28-2009, 02:53 PM
The number one reason a team wants to run a 3-4 defense in the NFL is to mask where the pressure is coming from. Regardless how they line up it, pressure can come from any where without giving up coverage responsibility.
My only quibble with your excellent post is that I have read (Belicheck and Saban) that the number one reason they run 3-4 on the first two downs is to stop the run. They want to force a passing down so they can do what you and Waldo describe.

BobDobbs
04-28-2009, 03:28 PM
I watched McCarthy's press conference and he definitely mentioned stopping the run as a primary reason to switch to a 3-4. I had always thought of it as a way to generate pressure on the QB, but played properly it allows the LBs to react to the RB and run past OL in space.

RashanGary
04-28-2009, 03:31 PM
I watched McCarthy's press conference and he definitely mentioned stopping the run as a primary reason to switch to a 3-4. I had always thought of it as a way to generate pressure on the QB, but played properly it allows the LBs to react to the RB and run past OL in space.

I've heard that too. The primary reason is to stop the run. The nice side effect is a lot of 3rd and longs and a lot of pass rushing options (big, explosive LB's)

sheepshead
04-28-2009, 03:49 PM

Theres no question we did it to stop Peterson and Forte. You stand their guys up and the line backers attack whatever gets through.

KYPack
04-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Nutz, had the same thought during the Super Bowl.

When the Steelers line up in their 3-4, it's the same thing as the 52 "Fire" we used to play. The OLB's have a lots of other responsibilities, but on 1st & 10, they are stand up DE's all the way.

Capers will be able to do so much more than we could with the Bates/Sanders set, it ridiculous.

SnakeLH2006
04-29-2009, 12:05 AM
Nutz, had the same thought during the Super Bowl.

When the Steelers line up in their 3-4, it's the same thing as the 52 "Fire" we used to play. The OLB's have a lots of other responsibilities, but on 1st & 10, they are stand up DE's all the way.

Capers will be able to do so much more than we could with the Bates/Sanders set, it ridiculous.

True Dat KY. Snake agrees and is excited with the pedigree of 3-4 coaches on D we have now, and the high potential of our 4 LB's. Any of those guys can rush, or potentially run stuff. It's looking good, and was slightly a skeptic of the 3-4 with our personnel...yet the Clay Matthews "upgrade" really makes it scary to think when/where the pressure will be coming from for opposing O's. Good stuff. Really, a good running 3-4 does play to using an OLB (Kampy) with his hand in the dirt on at least 1st down...but is able to beast out at bringing heat from all over the field when it forces a passing down. That is hopefully where we excel at, esp. with BJ bringing heat up the middle on 3rd down. Should be fun to watch. :D

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2009, 09:25 AM
My only quibble with your excellent post is that I have read (Belicheck and Saban) that the number one reason they run 3-4 on the first two downs is to stop the run. They want to force a passing down so they can do what you and Waldo describe.

Sure, because when you have an OLB like Vrabel and the defensive line that team put together it makes sense. Maybe I should have said it hides pressure and where the team is attacking from regardless of run or pass down.

Thomas and Vrabel were pretty much 250-260 defensive ends, instead of a three man front in reality they had a five man front.

rbaloha1
04-29-2009, 01:09 PM
The scheme allows for Matthews to runaround and make plays.

Matthews displays good feet and the ability to read and diagnose plays. My concern is when Matthews is required to take on fullbacks and tight ends.

Many of Matthews highlight plays are against lower tiered Pac-10 teams. Matthews is not going to be able to slice thru blockers in the NFL. Mano to Mano concerns me.

The comparison to Greenway was interesting. IMO Greenway was the better prospect due to the ability to take on blockers. Forget the 40 time and combo numebers--Greenway plays faster.

Lets hope Matthews develops the way Greenway is displaying.

3irty1
04-29-2009, 01:22 PM
The scheme allows for Matthews to runaround and make plays.

Matthews displays good feet and the ability to read and diagnose plays. My concern is when Matthews is required to take on fullbacks and tight ends.

Many of Matthews highlight plays are against lower tiered Pac-10 teams. Matthews is not going to be able to slice thru blockers in the NFL. Mano to Mano concerns me.

The comparison to Greenway was interesting. IMO Greenway was the better prospect due to the ability to take on blockers. Forget the 40 time and combo numebers--Greenway plays faster.

Lets hope Matthews develops the way Greenway is displaying.

We need Mathews to be a totally different type of player.

Partial
04-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Have you seen Matthews highlights? He looks like he is playing at an entirely different speed. I think he's going to be a good player. Not as dominant as I feel Maualuga is going to be, but he will be a very nice, solid, few pro bowls on years when the team is good type player.

He's by far and away my favorite of the picks.

Lurker64
04-29-2009, 04:46 PM
The thing about Matthews that sets him apart from all of the LBs that he's being compared to is that Matthews plays like a crazy man whose hair is on fire. Absolutely fearless and relentless. You just don't find a lot of guys that play like that, and if there's a way to get someone to play like that via coaching, I don't believe anybody has discovered it yet.

Kevin Greene should be doing everything in his power to mold Matthews into his own image, if he can do that he should be a hell of a player. A lot of the confidence I have in Matthews is who his LB coach. If anybody can teach him how to channel his boundless inner fire through technique to become a fearsome pass rusher, it's Greene who did this better than anybody.

The Shadow
04-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Have you seen Matthews highlights? He looks like he is playing at an entirely different speed. I think he's going to be a good player. Not as dominant as I feel Maualuga is going to be, but he will be a very nice, solid, few pro bowls on years when the team is good type player.

I noticed the same thing on the tapes i saw.
On more than a few plays, it was like he was shot out of a cannon!

mission
04-29-2009, 07:25 PM

You're really still on that dominant Maualuga thing huh ... :lol: :lol:

I agree on Matthews, though ... he really looks like he's playing at a different speed and even if it's inferior competition, i find it promising. He doesn't play down to his competition's level.

RashanGary
04-29-2009, 07:29 PM
I agree, Partial and Shadow. There is a certain, "in your face quicker than you thought" quality about that guy.

I remember watching Hawk and thinking he reminded me of Barnett, but a little stronger. I knew he could play because he looked like an NFL LB I was used to. As it turns out, that's exactly what he is. Barnett the 2nd, maybe a little stronger.

Matthews is very different. The best play I saw of him, he ran a stunt inside. The center tried to set up to block him but Matthews got there so quickly, the center couldn't set up. He pried right through him on his way to sacking the QB. He plays fast, strong and intense football. I get the feeling he's going to come up with some monster sacks this year. I'm guessing 5 sacks, but he won't blitz nearly as much as Kamp so 5 would be a very good number for him.

RashanGary
04-29-2009, 08:19 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/play/nfl/ApphU1C5teyuGQ82Ad5dXfV6jvQJ8YQt

In the beginning of this clip, Matthews absolutely destroys a couple run blocks on the edge. Obviously he's going to have to keep working hard to get stronger for the NFL, but that is the type of run defense you need from an edge player in this 3-4 defense.

This is the exact opposite of the chase and drag tackles we're used to seeing from Hawk and Barnett.

Partial
04-29-2009, 09:18 PM
I was watching some videos today and I noticed that San Diego virtually never sends Merriman or Phillips into coverage. They either contain and play a small zone, or they are rushing the passer/defending the flat.

I also noticed that DeMarcus Ware is used in coverage a little more, but again, primarily he and the opposite OLB are rushing the passer.

I really think the whole 'cover like a safety' thing is blown out of proportion. Kampman is capable of getting his arms up and defending his zone, and if he loses a little weight, will likely have the kind of speed to disrupt the pass to the flat.

I think we'll be fine at that spot, and I suspect both of these guys are rushing the passer basically every pass play.

Joemailman
04-29-2009, 09:26 PM
On plays where they are not rushing the passer, it is likely there will be a blitz coming from one of the ILB's or the safety, so the amount of time they need to provide coverage should be limited. The key is to keep the opposing QB guessing on where the pressure will be coming from. Unlike last year.

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2009, 09:49 PM
The reason why Kampman has been so successful is because of his explosion off the ball and his ability to leverage his opponent. He does a great job of staying low of the ball and getting under the offensive tackle. I suspect these characteristics are going to be compromised when he is in a two point stance. He is an extremely hard worker so he might be able to change his game, but he has never made his living at spin moves, or outside inside moves, he makes first contact with unbelievable pad level and rips through and turns the corner on the tackle.

Pass rushing from the OLB position simply will not utilize the same technique

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2009, 09:58 PM
He's quite the athlete. Nice catch at 1:14 of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI7dA3UttUM

He looks way more athletic than Cushing and Rey.

The Shadow
04-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Can't wait to see him in Green and Gold.

Fritz
04-30-2009, 06:36 PM
I was watching some videos today and I noticed that San Diego virtually never sends Merriman or Phillips into coverage. They either contain and play a small zone, or they are rushing the passer/defending the flat.

I also noticed that DeMarcus Ware is used in coverage a little more, but again, primarily he and the opposite OLB are rushing the passer.

I really think the whole 'cover like a safety' thing is blown out of proportion. Kampman is capable of getting his arms up and defending his zone, and if he loses a little weight, will likely have the kind of speed to disrupt the pass to the flat.

I think we'll be fine at that spot, and I suspect both of these guys are rushing the passer basically every pass play.

Don't know why, but that line made me chuckle. I just picture Kampman being asked to cover a zone area in the flat...he recedes a step or two, then suddenly starts jumping up and down, flapping his arms, hoping he's disrupting the pass to the flat...I wonder if Winston Moss will teach that technique.

I don't know why. That picture just made me laugh.