Pickett
Jenkins
Raji
Harrell
Alfred Malone

Good at NT
Really good at NT depth
Solid at DE
Bad at DE depth (but could get some positive surprises)

Kampman
Hawk
Matthews
Barnett
Thompson
Hunter
Bishop
Poppinga
Chillar
Lansanah

Good at OLB
Good at ILB
Decent depth

Secondary is what it is. Solid.

With the two first round picks, we went from dangerously thin on the front 7 to pretty solid. We were a top 10 defense the year before last. With Capers and the new talent, maybe we can be back near the top again. Also, we have extra athletic linebackers on ST's, we might make some gains there.

Tis the season to be optimistic, but we haven't lost anything. We have a proven high profile coach. We've added some very important defensive pieces that bring us closer to a stout, physical defense. I'm drinking the koolaid right now.

Bretsky
04-25-2009, 08:32 PM
would make a ton of sense to go get an affordable DE like Vonnie Holiday who could start if we needed it

falco
04-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Let's see if these guys pan out at the pro level before we start rubbing our hands in glee. It is fair to say that, assuming they do turn out to be first round talent, these guys instantly upgraded our front seven.

RashanGary
04-25-2009, 08:34 PM
It might make sense. Depends on how Malone and Harrell pan out. Capers said he graded Harrell pretty high as a 3-4 DE when he came out of Tennessee.

I really don't want to get my hopes up with either, but you never know. Jenkins and Jolly are pretty good players. If we can get one of the two back end guys to pan out, we might not be so thin. We've seen bigger holes magically filled before.

Brohm
04-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Capers is also high on Malone.

Fritz
04-25-2009, 09:48 PM
My nipples are getting hard.

red
04-25-2009, 09:54 PM
tt mentioned using pickett at DE at times in is interview

a front 3 of jenkins raji and pickett would be a lot of beef

RashanGary
04-25-2009, 09:55 PM

Jenkins/Raji/Pickett/Jolly in the redzone :)

packers11
04-25-2009, 09:55 PM

Maybe we can finally stop the run :)

3rd and short and 4th and short might not be such a let down this year...

Last year it was a given (esp at the end of the season) they they would get the short yardage against our depleted D-line...

red
04-25-2009, 09:59 PM
you gotta admit, our LB's would have a field day with that front 3

RashanGary
04-25-2009, 09:59 PM
It looks like we're finally turning into a tough defense. Raji is a rare piece that will anchor the defense for a long time.

Matthews is going to have to develop a little. Maybe he can play early, but probably he's going to have to get stronger and get more comfortable in his position before he really takes off. Still, it sounds like he's a tenacious football player. If there is anything we desperately need in our back 7, it's enforcers that play physical football. The tough portion of McCarthy's "tough, smart" equation just took a nice roid shot to the butt.

SnakeLH2006
04-26-2009, 02:18 AM
Snake might, maybe, just might, but MIGHT loan out Drew Barrymore for ya on Sunday.
Snake is so happy after he's been bitching/preaching about getting some NEEDS/STARTERS, which were a HUGE FUCK YA, (awesome draft no matter what now) were met more than adequately to Snake's fancy. I wore her out all day today, Saturday, and just might let you hit it, Fritz.

Snake's happy. Drew's happy. Let's make Fritz happy....no? :lol:

red
04-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Snake might, maybe, just might, but MIGHT loan out Drew Barrymore for ya on Sunday.
Snake is so happy after he's been bitching/preaching about getting some NEEDS/STARTERS, which were a HUGE FUCK YA, (awesome draft no matter what now) were met more than adequately to Snake's fancy. I wore her out all day today, Saturday, and just might let you hit it, Fritz.

Snake's happy. Drew's happy. Let's make Fritz happy....no? :lol:

is that what snake named his blowup doll?

falco
04-26-2009, 10:14 AM
I think the defense can be much improved in 2009, if at least a few of the following happen:

- Raji and Matthews both can contribute ASAP
- Bigby, Jenkins and Barnett all come back healthy
- Harris and Woodson don't drop off drastically
- Kampman can make the switch to the 3-4 without too many problems
- Harrell can finally contribute something

A lot of ifs, but all possible IMO.

bobblehead
04-26-2009, 10:16 AM
TT is going to deal a 6th for a 3rd stringer on some team that is going to come in and dominate at DE....then said player will hold out.

Gunakor
04-26-2009, 10:21 AM
TT is going to deal a 6th for a 3rd stringer on some team that is going to come in and dominate at DE....then said player will hold out.

For a while. Then TT will give him the extension he so desires, and immediately afterwards he'll pull a hammy in preseason. Then he'll go on to finish the season ranked 9th in the NFL in sacks and posters here will complain about needing an upgrade. I've seen it all before.

Tony Oday
04-26-2009, 10:28 AM

For a while. Then TT will give him the extension he so desires, and immediately afterwards he'll pull a hammy in preseason. Then he'll go on to finish the season ranked 9th in the NFL in sacks and posters here will complain about needing an upgrade. I've seen it all before.

TT will give him an incetive based contract in which he will be ripped for because "we should have locked him up earlier" :)

It will be a better defense with the maturation process in the front 7 and hopefully a Healthy Hawk and Jenkins...